PDA

View Full Version : Round 1, 2019 Team

Pages : [1] 2

bulldogtragic
26-08-2018, 03:00 PM
At this point, it's based on the players we have actually signed up. Not factoring in any injuries. Once the player movement period concludes, it might change a fair bit.

B: Cordy Naughton Daniel
HB: JJ Wood Suckling
C: McLean Macrae Hunter
HF: Richards Schache Williams
F: Greene Boyd Gowers
OB: English Bontempelli Dunkley

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Lipinski, Picken

Emerg: Webb, Young, Adams, Dale

Spending a bit of time in the VFL: Porter, Redpath (if not retired), Roberts (if not traded),

Yet to be signed, could be added to above: Dahl, Wally, Libba, Roughy, Morris, Jong, Collins, HC, Campbell, Lynch, NMM, Smith, Dickson

Incoming: Pick 7, West, Khamis and several more draftees

DOG GOD
26-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Looking at that team BT, I’d only take suckling out as I don’t think he would be a walk up start, and move Williams to the hbf and Dale into the hff, but it’s a decent looking team that could only strengthen with Josh Kelly ;)

bulldogtragic
26-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Looking at that team BT, I’d only take suckling out as I don’t think he would be a walk up start, and move Williams to the hbf and Dale into the hff, but it’s a decent looking team that could only strengthen with Josh Kelly ;)

Suckling was in career best form, but you're right there's a lot of competition for the HBF spots. I'm confident we can sign Libba whose a walk up starter and be it Shiel, Gaff or Kelly, we have a good chunk of salary cap to play with to add them into the 22 too.

It's a decent looking team which could get even better looking after the trade/free agency period. Which highlights that we desperately need a new team to manage our players to keep them on the park. If we get some fresh leadership in this area, which results in less injuries, then we will win several more games of footy with our best 22.

DOG GOD
26-08-2018, 03:42 PM
Suckling was in career best form, but you're right there's a lot of competition for the HBF spots. I'm confident we can sign Libba whose a walk up starter and be it Shiel, Gaff or Kelly, we have a good chunk of salary cap to play with to add them into the 22 too.

It's a decent looking team which could get even better looking after the trade/free agency period. Which highlights that we desperately need a new team to manage our players to keep them on the park. If we get some fresh leadership in this area, which results in less injuries, then we will win several more games of footy with our best 22.

Totally agree BT, and let’s hope after a full review of the footy dept, those aspects of injuries are put into place and come to fruition. Sucklings experience can certainly be used, and probably required, so I’m not against him in there. I loved the look of Williams before his injury, and I’m hopeful his further strength and improvement over pre season will see him a permanent player.

Libba and hopefully another player of quality we can pick up, would come into this team, but we need to have players knocking down the door from the VFL to put pressure on those in the starting 22, which will only strengthen the culture.

Eastdog
26-08-2018, 03:51 PM
We seem pretty good in the middle now but a month or so back we weren't saying that as much. Work rate means everything and even if on paper the midfield looks strong and it doesn't work for each other it won't go well but we have the last couple of weeks.

Having everyone on the park and less injuries will help us a lot. We have some great youngsters coming through who should keep improving with another pre season under the belt.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Totally agree BT, and let’s hope after a full review of the footy dept, those aspects of injuries are put into place and come to fruition. Sucklings experience can certainly be used, and probably required, so I’m not against him in there. I loved the look of Williams before his injury, and I’m hopeful his further strength and improvement over pre season will see him a permanent player.

Libba and hopefully another player of quality we can pick up, would come into this team, but we need to have players knocking down the door from the VFL to put pressure on those in the starting 22, which will only strengthen the culture.

I look forward to the day when we back to furious disagreement about our best 22, like in 2016. :D

As the kids come on, and if we can improve on injuries, its going to make the competition you talk of very real. The talent seems to be there, now for the coaches and fitness folks to turn that talent into winning.

Eastdog
26-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Hopefully Libba has another good pre season and can actually get some form back in 2019. So frustrating for him with injuries. Was there that day at Whitten Oval when he did his first knee in our 2015 pre season over the Tigers.

ledge
26-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Hopefully Libba has another good pre season and can actually get some form back in 2019. So frustrating for him with injuries. Was there that day at Whitten Oval when he did his first knee in our 2015 pre season over the Tigers.

Very innocuous in front of the opposition dugout near the boundary.

bornadog
26-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Don't like Wood as a CHB

GVGjr
26-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Don't like Wood as a CHB

I know he's the captain and popular with the supporters but I think the reason why we tried him as a forward earlier this year is that we have better options in the back line. He's not attacking enough when compared to the likes of JJ, Suckling, Richards, Crozier and Williams and he's not a great option on taller forwards so Adams, Cordy, Trengove and Naughton are better suited.

Pickenitup
26-08-2018, 06:21 PM
Woody played very well yesterday he is easily in our best back 6

Go_Dogs
26-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Morris, Naughton, Daniel
JJ, Cordy, Wood
Williams, Macrae, Hunter
Dunkley, Schache, McLean
Dale, Boyd, Gowers
Trengove, Bont, Liberatore
Adams, Crozier, Richards, Suckling

I'm backing Dale to rebound strongly and take that medium marking + ability to play high role.
Trengove and Boyd to share the ruck duties, however won't be surprised to see English take that role, in which case Trengove battles Adams for my tall bench spot, which I like Adams for with his ability to play forward or back.
Would be great to see Williams lock down a spot on the wing/midfield where his pace adds a bit.
Going to be a tough side to select when we have a full compliment of players, quite a few I've left out in Picken, Lipinski, Wallis, etc who I'd expect to play a lot of senior footy.

Go_Dogs
26-08-2018, 06:28 PM
I know he's the captain and popular with the supporters but I think the reason why we tried him as a forward earlier this year is that we have better options in the back line. He's not attacking enough when compared to the likes of JJ, Suckling, Richards, Crozier and Williams and he's not a great option on taller forwards so Adams, Cordy, Trengove and Naughton are better suited.

Interesting take. I tend to think it was more because we didn't have many experienced forwards who we thought could contribute compared to the wealth of options we have down back, however you're right that Wood isn't an attacking weapon like a few others.

I prefer him as a defender and think he comfortably fits with our group with his ability in the air and being pretty good at defending 1:1.

bornadog
26-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Woody played very well yesterday he is easily in our best back 6

I agree, but don't like trying to always play him tall.

The other issue is can we play Cordy, and Morris in the same team?

GVGjr
26-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Given the form of Suckling prior to his injury I think it's more of an issue if we can play both Morris and Wood in the same back line.
We lose a lot of run and skill level plus neither are that suited on playing on taller players unless we want that mismatch

GVGjr
26-08-2018, 08:12 PM
Interesting take. I tend to think it was more because we didn't have many experienced forwards who we thought could contribute compared to the wealth of options we have down back, however you're right that Wood isn't an attacking weapon like a few others.

I prefer him as a defender and think he comfortably fits with our group with his ability in the air and being pretty good at defending 1:1.

I think we have 15 players that are regarded as defenders on the list and we were hoping one of them (Adams or Wood) could become a defensive 3rd tall forward.

Cordy is probably the best option but I think he established himself as a key defender this year.

kruder
27-08-2018, 12:09 AM
I think we have 15 players that are regarded as defenders on the list and we were hoping one of them (Adams or Wood) could become a defensive 3rd tall forward.

Cordy is probably the best option but I think he established himself as a key defender this year.

Yeah agree but I also think it was due to him being completely out of form they were trying to spark him. There were a few signs yesterday and i like the fact he worked his ass off to get back for the final few games. I still think he can be attacking as any of the players you mentioned because an intercept mark is attacking as any attribute defensive wise but the big question is can Wood return to his 2015 best?

Bulldog Revolution
27-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Potentially it’s worthwhile trying Wood forward again when the team is in better form - we started the year so poorly that almost nobody would have been successful

Mantis
27-08-2018, 10:26 PM
Potentially it’s worthwhile trying Wood forward again when the team is in better form - we started the year so poorly that almost nobody would have been successful

Wood was all at sea up forward... No thanks.

Eastdog
27-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Wood was all at sea up forward... No thanks.

Yep I’m with you Mantis. Much prefer Wood down back. We need Tom Boyd to step up forward and Josh Schache to continue to improve there and also we have Billy Gowers up there. Dunkley, Greene, Wallis, Macrae also can find the scoreboard. Really need a nice mix getting the goals and not just down to one guy. Our movement up there has been better the last few weeks thanks to the drive from half back through the middle.

comrade
27-08-2018, 11:39 PM
At this point, it's based on the players we have actually signed up. Not factoring in any injuries. Once the player movement period concludes, it might change a fair bit.

HB: JJ Wood Suckling
C: McLean Macrae Hunter
HF: Richards Schache Williams
F: Greene Boyd Gowers
OB: English Bontempelli Dunkley

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Lipinski, Picken

Emerg: Webb, Young, Adams, Dale

Spending a bit of time in the VFL: Porter, Redpath (if not retired), Roberts (if not traded),

Yet to be signed, could be added to above: Dahl, Wally, Libba, Roughy, Morris, Jong, Collins, HC, Campbell, Lynch, NMM, Smith, Dickson

Incoming: Pick 7, West, Khamis and several more draftees

I love that midfield but it really needs at least one more elite ball user.

English, Bont & Dunk will monster some teams.

1eyedog
28-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Wood needs to move into the midfield if he doesn't want to become obsolete and play the Heeney role. He needs to use his size and speed and start leading by example. Not saying he doesn't already, but he needs to add another string now we have JJ, Williams and Suckling providing run off half back and Daniel playing quarter back.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I love that midfield but it really needs at least one more elite ball user.

English, Bont & Dunk will monster some teams.

Yep, as per my early list management thread, now we have cash freed up from Dahlhaus and others retiring, we should be after an elite midfielder hard. Maybe Gaff to boost the classy kicking out of the midfield.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Yep, as per my early list management thread, now we have cash freed up from Dahlhaus and others retiring, we should be after an elite midfielder hard. Maybe Gaff to boost the classy kicking out of the midfield.

NO we don't, nothing is confirmed.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 01:19 PM
NO we don't, nothing is confirmed.

Perhaps not confirmed, but it’s all but in reality. They can’t make an FA bid for over a month, but that doesn’t mean much. So I personally prefer to look forward to different eventualities so when the next Hurley falls through and we lose the next Hamling that we are not completely stuffed. I think he’s 90% gone and someone like Gaff would be a big upgrade now we can afford him comfortably in the event Dahl does leave.

dukedog
12-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Would love to see.

HB: JJ Wood morris
C: Dunkley Macrae Hunter
HF: Richards Shack Neal/Gaff
F: West Boyd Gowers
OB: English Bontempelli Mclean

Int: Crozier, Trengove, Libba, Picken

Rozee. Khamis williams. Dale. In emergency.
Gaff or Neale adams and roughy to whatever one of those teams want him.

Oh man I'm dreaming. Hahaha

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Wood needs to move into the midfield if he doesn't want to become obsolete and play the Heeney role. He needs to use his size and speed and start leading by example. Not saying he doesn't already, but he needs to add another string now we have JJ, Williams and Suckling providing run off half back and Daniel playing quarter back.

I'm not sure at 29 years of age Wood is a candidate for a first time move to the midfield.

EasternWest
12-09-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure at 29 years of age Wood is a candidate for a first time move to the midfield.

With his hamstrings, I can't see what the problem is.

1eyedog
13-09-2018, 02:26 PM

If he simply doesn't 'fit'' in the backline and can't play forward it's all that's left.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-09-2018, 02:43 PM
If he simply doesn't 'fit'' in the backline and can't play forward it's all that's left.

If he doesn't fit in our defense plans then a hard conversation would need to take place about his future.
I think he is still in our best defensive unit set up.

bornadog
11-10-2018, 09:55 AM
Matthew Lloyd's best 22

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpK9PR5UYAA9hj4.jpg

Hotdog60
11-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Not Bad, the only change would be Morris for Williams but that's not a knock on Williams but Moz would be a start up unless form or health dictates otherwise.

comrade
11-10-2018, 10:08 AM
That is a freaking young team.

bulldogtragic
11-10-2018, 10:17 AM
That is a freaking young team.

Wingard & Lloyd will increase the age profile... :D

If Sam Power can keep them together though, the medium to longer term is going to be fun (especially with West & Khamis).

GVGjr
11-10-2018, 10:20 AM
I'm not sure what position Williams will play next season but I think he is now clearly in the best 18 based on his form this season.

It all depends on how hard he is prepared to work though because he is one of those players who could drop off substantially if he doesn't do the work or isn't fully focused.

Mantis
11-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Not Bad, the only change would be Morris for Williams but that's not a knock on Williams but Moz would be a start up unless form or health dictates otherwise.

Williams is a lock.

Morris should be competing with Cordy & Wood.

1eyedog
11-10-2018, 10:33 AM
I think Bailey Dale has the potential to take Lippa's spot pretty quickly. Hope he has a big preseason because what we saw from Dale in 17 was very promising.

bornadog
11-10-2018, 10:42 AM
Would be great to include a Wingard. A Picken, Dickson and Lloyd as well as Lynch will be fighting for a forward role.

Mofra
11-10-2018, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what position Williams will play next season but I think he is now clearly in the best 18 based on his form this season.

I'd have him in the midfield rotations - he was borderline elite as a defender (check his metres gained stats) but he was impressive as a mid in the latter part of the season.

Daniel is just as interesting - he was excellent behind the ball late in the season but is that the long term plan?

Rocket Science
11-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Equally bullish on Williams, his best is invaluable, but fingers crossed his development doesn't mimic the trajectory of the other Bailey.

lemmon
11-10-2018, 11:47 AM
I think Bailey Dale has the potential to take Lippa's spot pretty quickly. Hope he has a big preseason because what we saw from Dale in 17 was very promising.

Where does he play though? He spends a lot of time up the ground but fades badly and doesn't find the footy.

I like him closer to goal, almost in the Dickson role. Good hands, finishes his work off, dangerous matchup - think he could be a 35-40 goal a year forward.

westbulldog
11-10-2018, 01:01 PM
For mine, Daniel does to the bench replaced by Crozier. Wallis goes to the bench replaced by Dunkley and Lynch or Greene replace Lipinski at this stage. Bailey Dale doesn't get a look in until he shows a lot more. I also think we still need to recruit another back up ruckman or retain Roughead in that role.

Bulldog Joe
11-10-2018, 01:21 PM
For mine, Daniel does to the bench replaced by Crozier. Wallis goes to the bench replaced by Dunkley and Lynch or Greene replace Lipinski at this stage. Bailey Dale doesn't get a look in until he shows a lot more. I also think we still need to recruit another back up ruckman or retain Roughead in that role.

In my mind Lipinski is comfortably ahead of Lynch and Greene.

Happy Days
11-10-2018, 01:32 PM

I've totally devested myself of all my Dale stock. His footy pre-injury this season was half-hearted and generally awful.

Axe Man
11-10-2018, 01:36 PM
I've totally devested myself of all my Dale stock. His footy pre-injury this season was half-hearted and generally awful.

His value has plunged like a US tech stock.

comrade
11-10-2018, 03:04 PM
His value has plunged like a US tech stock.

Bailey 'Bitcoin' Dale

mjp
11-10-2018, 05:36 PM
In my mind Lipinski is comfortably ahead of Lynch and Greene.

Of course he is - because he can play as a mid. Dunkley and Maclean are there as mid rotations, but aside from that - with Dahl gone - it really is Lipinski or bust. Unless we think Wallis can do it and his best footy was played as a forward (and it wasn't even close).

Another mid option really needs to be in that side - a bench with Suckling, Crozier and Trengove (and all are valuable players) is not going to do it. Suckers and Crozier are both going to be back rotators...so...then what?

Heaps of talent. Young, developing squad. But too many ill-defined roles which makes performing with consistency hard.

Ozza
11-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Picks a team with Morris in it.....

How dare you, sir.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Happy to see Greene in our 22 as another forward option. Still to be convinced that Tom Boyd and Suckling are in our best line up as suggested by Matthew Lloyd. Would like to see us secure May as a key defender. This could release Cordy to play at CHF where his competitive spirit would enable us to keep the ball in attack. Crozier is a shoe in at half back. Bailey Williams would be a great addition to Bont Libba and Dunkley in the midfield. Agree on Roughead and hope he is retained.

1eyedog
12-10-2018, 09:03 PM
He'll bounce back he has ability.

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Time to have a look at this again

Backs:
Johannisen - Cordy - Wood
Williams - Naughton - Richards

Centres:
Macrae - McLean - Hunter
Trengove - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Forwards:
Dunkley - Schache - Lloyd
Gowers - Boyd - Wallis

Interchange:
Daniel - Suckling - Duryea - Crozier - Morris - English

Next in line:
Lipinski - Dickson - Dale - Picken (when available) - Jong - Young - Greene

Sedat
19-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Backs:

Centres:
Macrae - McLean - Hunter

Forwards:
Gowers - Boyd - Wallis

Interchange:

Next in line:
GVGjr, you rate the rucks as little as Bevo ;)

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 11:06 AM

I've just decided to back the man who makes the decisions :)

Mofra
19-10-2018, 11:21 AM
Matthew Lloyd's best 22

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpK9PR5UYAA9hj4.jpg
How do we feel about this post trade week?

I still think Williams is on the bench as part of the midfield / forward rotations. Lippi I like but probably comes out for Lloyd otherwise what's the point of trading for a guy in his late 20s? Suckling can take the second wing rotation - release his left boot when Hunter/Richards rest. Crozier is a lock as a starting defender and his intercept work is vital if we're only playing two genuine defensive talls plus an undersized Wood.

I can't find room for Duryea and hopes he proves me wrong but where does he fit? We traded because he's a 'decent' player not because he fits a need.

Mofra
19-10-2018, 11:22 AM
I was more impressed with the innovative 6 on the bench selection ;)

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 11:25 AM
How do we feel about this post trade week?

I still think Williams is on the bench as part of the midfield / forward rotations. Lippi I like but probably comes out for Lloyd otherwise what's the point of trading for a guy in his late 20s? Suckling can take the second wing rotation - release his left boot when Hunter/Richards rest. Crozier is a lock as a starting defender and his intercept work is vital if we're only playing two genuine defensive talls plus an undersized Wood.

I can't find room for Duryea and hopes he proves me wrong but where does he fit? We traded because he's a 'decent' player not because he fits a need.

I think Williams deserves to start but he could be that jack of all trades type of player coming off the bench.
Tend to agree about Crozier he played some good football for us

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 11:27 AM
I was more impressed with the innovative 6 on the bench selection ;)

It's a Sunday game. 2 to be omitted :)

Greystache
19-10-2018, 11:41 AM

Backs:

Centres:
Macrae - McLean - Hunter

Forwards:
Gowers - Boyd - Wallis

Interchange:

Next in line:

Pretty good effort.

A couple of things, assuming Picken and Dickson are fit surely Lloyd doesn't play in front of either? I'd think Duryea and Suckling are competing for the same spot, especially if we keep playing Daniel behind the ball. Can we play both English and Trengove if we're determined to ruck Boyd as much as possible? Trengove was pretty decent in the ruck but pretty ordinary forward and back, I'm not sure he plays if he's not rucking.

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Pretty good effort.

A couple of things, assuming Picken and Dickson are fit surely Lloyd doesn't play in front of either? I'd think Duryea and Suckling are competing for the same spot, especially if we keep playing Daniel behind the ball. Can we play both English and Trengove if we're determined to ruck Boyd as much as possible? Trengove was pretty decent in the ruck but pretty ordinary forward and back, I'm not sure he plays if he's not rucking.

I'd hope that both Picken and Dickson are fit for round one and yes they would probably be the preferred options
Suckling was so good last year until injured he should be ahead of Duryea.
I'm not too concerned with Trengove because I think we can find a spot for him. Basically we need his experience and leadership

SquirrelGrip
19-10-2018, 12:15 PM
Where it becomes most interesting is our non-elite mids and who steps up to own the position:

Dunkley
McLean
Wallis
Williams
Richards
Jong
Lipinski

I classify Daniel as a defender now (in the Boyd/Sam Mitchell sense) and Hunter is the topic for a whole other thread and whether he can become what Sidebottom is to the Pies.

Of those 7, I am most bullish about Dunkley and hope he can have a breakout year - we saw massive improvement in the second half of this year - and hope he can become our Luke Parker circa 2014.

soupman
19-10-2018, 12:33 PM
My "squad" of contenders atm looks like this. Anyone not listed isn't in contention for round one atm.

Backs: Cordy, Naughton, Morris, JJ, Crozier, Suckling, Wood, Duryea
Backs/everywhere: Daniel, Richards
Mids: Hunter, Macrae, Liberatore, Williams,
Rucks: Trengrove, English, Boyd
Mid/Forwards: Bontempelli, Dunkley, Mclean, Gowers, Picken, Lloyd
Forwards: Wallis, Schache, Dickson

For the backs I think the locks are JJ, Suckling, Naughton and Crozier, and I guess Wood although his last two years don't fill me with confidence. I'd probably only pick one of Cordy or Morris, and at this stage Daniel gets the nod as the bonus rebounder.

Next is rucks/key forwards. We are picking three of English, Trengrove, Schache and Boyd, in that order imo.

Now you just pick the rest from the mids and forward group (Richards also as he fits anywhere). Just be conscious to include at least 2 players who are natural forwards. All the pure mids listed above get straight in, as do Bont, Dunkley, Mclean and Gowers (who will run through the middle but be primarily a forward). That leaves three of Lloyd, Dickson, Picken and Wallis to make it, all aside from Dickson capable of rotating through the middle but all best as primary forwards. I personally would cut Wallis of that lot, although Dickson is the next in line for the chop. This is assuming we get a decent Picken back, whichi doubt. I also suspect the injury history of Picken and Dickson means Wallis won't miss a game.

E. Wood..........Z. Cordy.........H. Crozier
J. Johannisen...A. Naughton...M. Suckling
L. Hunter.........J. Macrae.......B. Williams
T. Mclean.........J. Schache.....S. Lloyd
B. Gowers.......J. Trengrove...T. Dickson
T. English........J. Dunkley.......M. Bontempelli

E. Richards....T. Liberatore....C. Daniel....L. Picken

Best of the rest:
D. Morris, T. Duryea, T. Boyd, M. Wallis

Reserves:
Backs: Young, Roberts, Smith, Duryea, Morris,
Mids: Porter,
Mid/Forwards: Webb, Lipinski, Jong
Forwards: Wallis, Honeychurch, Greene, Dale, Lynch
Rucks: Campbell, Boyd

Good cover for defence in pretty much all roles. If we lose rebounders we can swing Richards or Williams back there.
Still very light on for pure mids in reserve, but have a lot of forward/mid types in seniors and reserves to cover this somewhat.
Have a few small forwards in reserves but no pacy x factor types and only Wallis who has shown sustained form at AFL level and i am sceptical of that.
Have some ruck depth and with Boyd a key forward in reserve.

I would be looking at getting another key forward on the list, a pacy x factor type forward and some mids.

SquirrelGrip
19-10-2018, 12:44 PM
My "squad" of contenders atm looks like this. Anyone not listed isn't in contention for round one atm.

Best of the rest:

Reserves:

Add our draftees and the Footscray team looks like it should win a few!

ledge
19-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Add our draftees and the Footscray team looks like it should win a few!

Love watching the VFL , I get membership and go to all home games, you seriously get to recognise stars early. Sadly you also see blokes like Honeychurch who absolutely smash VFL but for some reason just can’t get up for AFL.
Also get to chat to our AFL players because they tend to walk out to the qtr time and 3qtr time huddle.

Smads57
19-10-2018, 07:00 PM
Where does our pick 7 fit in the opening game for 2019?......

GVGjr
19-10-2018, 07:08 PM
Where does our pick 7 fit in the opening game for 2019?......

Probably not but you never know.

GVGjr
20-10-2018, 07:15 PM
This from AFL.com

B: Dale Morris, Aaron Naughton, Easton Wood
HB: Hayden Crozier, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Williams
C: Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Jason Johannisen
HF: Toby McLean, Tom Boyd, Ed Richards
F: Liam Picken, Josh Schache, Billy Gowers
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
I/C: Mitch Wallis, Matt Suckling, Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove

Still unsigned, Tom Liberatore will get another deal but will need to show he's committed and over his knee reconstruction. If Liam Picken fully recovers from his concussion issues, he's an automatic selection. Recruits Sam Lloyd and Taylor Duryea will provide depth but won't be walk-up starts. Another veteran, Tory Dickson, is unlucky to miss selection as well. With Tom Boyd to play predominately forward, Jackson Trengove will once again be 'Mr Fix it', performing roles all over the ground with Tim English the No.1 ruckman. Look for Lewis Young and Brad Lynch to play bigger roles in defence despite missing selection in this side. - Ryan Davidson

chef
20-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Interesting to hear Johnno say he doesnt think Boyd is in our best 22

bulldogtragic
20-10-2018, 07:51 PM

Johno also voted JJ & Kennedy over Boyd in 2016 Norm Smith. I think Johno is wrong again. Johno should be asking why the MC wouldn't select a ruckman or second ruckman last year, why the coach plays him out of position and why the development & forward coaches haven't got the best out of him. But he's best mates with Bevo, Bubba & Gia etc. so he probably won't ask the questions of them publicly. I hope he does though, I'd love to have some real insight into what's been happening or not happening with Tom.

bornadog
20-10-2018, 11:31 PM
This from AFL.com

B: Dale Morris, Aaron Naughton, Easton Wood
C: Lachie Hunter, Josh Dunkley, Jason Johannisen
HF: Toby McLean, Tom Boyd, Ed Richards
F: Liam Picken, Josh Schache, Billy Gowers
FOLL: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae
I/C: Mitch Wallis, Matt Suckling, Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove

Still unsigned, Tom Liberatore will get another deal but will need to show he's committed and over his knee reconstruction. If Liam Picken fully recovers from his concussion issues, he's an automatic selection. Recruits Sam Lloyd and Taylor Duryea will provide depth but won't be walk-up starts. Another veteran, Tory Dickson, is unlucky to miss selection as well. With Tom Boyd to play predominately forward, Jackson Trengove will once again be 'Mr Fix it', performing roles all over the ground with Tim English the No.1 ruckman. Look for Lewis Young and Brad Lynch to play bigger roles in defence despite missing selection in this side. - Ryan Davidson

Pretty good team

GVGjr
20-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Pretty good team

No Liberatore or Morris

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-10-2018, 11:45 PM
No Liberatore or Morris
Moz is listed at back pocket

GVGjr
20-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Moz is listed at back pocket

So he is, normally see him on the right :)

bornadog
21-10-2018, 12:02 AM
No Liberatore

I guess a bit of unknown till he hits his straps

Mofra
21-10-2018, 01:43 AM
I think he's borderline too. If we are selecting two rucks who are actually there to ruck - Trengove was excellent late in the season and we have to play English.
English will manage a goal per game resting forward when he sticks the arms up and defenders panic and give away frees.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Anyone see any of the draftees forcing out anyone from your previous Round 1 team?

Smith or West to bolt in?
Cavarra or Hayes to dislodge Lloyd or Dickson etc?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-11-2018, 10:43 PM

Backs: Cordy, Naughton, Morris, JJ, Crozier, Suckling, Wood, Duryea
Backs/everywhere: Daniel, Richards
Mids: Hunter, Macrae, Liberatore, Williams,
Rucks: Trengrove, English, Boyd
Mid/Forwards: Bontempelli, Dunkley, Mclean, Gowers, Picken, Lloyd
Forwards: Wallis, Schache, Dickson

For the backs I think the locks are JJ, Suckling, Naughton and Crozier, and I guess Wood although his last two years don't fill me with confidence. I'd probably only pick one of Cordy or Morris, and at this stage Daniel gets the nod as the bonus rebounder.

Next is rucks/key forwards. We are picking three of English, Trengrove, Schache and Boyd, in that order imo.

Now you just pick the rest from the mids and forward group (Richards also as he fits anywhere). Just be conscious to include at least 2 players who are natural forwards. All the pure mids listed above get straight in, as do Bont, Dunkley, Mclean and Gowers (who will run through the middle but be primarily a forward). That leaves three of Lloyd, Dickson, Picken and Wallis to make it, all aside from Dickson capable of rotating through the middle but all best as primary forwards. I personally would cut Wallis of that lot, although Dickson is the next in line for the chop. This is assuming we get a decent Picken back, whichi doubt. I also suspect the injury history of Picken and Dickson means Wallis won't miss a game.

E. Wood..........Z. Cordy.........H. Crozier
J. Johannisen...A. Naughton...M. Suckling
L. Hunter.........J. Macrae.......B. Williams
T. Mclean.........J. Schache.....S. Lloyd
B. Gowers.......J. Trengrove...T. Dickson
T. English........J. Dunkley.......M. Bontempelli

E. Richards....T. Liberatore....C. Daniel....L. Picken

Best of the rest:

Reserves:

Good cover for defence in pretty much all roles. If we lose rebounders we can swing Richards or Williams back there.
Still very light on for pure mids in reserve, but have a lot of forward/mid types in seniors and reserves to cover this somewhat.
Have a few small forwards in reserves but no pacy x factor types and only Wallis who has shown sustained form at AFL level and i am sceptical of that.
Have some ruck depth and with Boyd a key forward in reserve.

I would be looking at getting another key forward on the list, a pacy x factor type forward and some mids.
Morris is a lot better player than Suckling who is hardly a lock in IMO. Crozier is better suited at half back where he was excellent last year. JJ Wood Crozier appears to be our best half back line with Naughton playing alongside Cordy in the last line of defence. We are also thin on in the ruck division without Roughead leaving a lot of pressure on Tim English as our sole number one ruck man where Boyd has struggled to impress in the past two seasons.

soupman
24-11-2018, 11:24 AM
Morris is a lot better player than Suckling who is hardly a lock in IMO. Crozier is better suited at half back where he was excellent last year. JJ Wood Crozier appears to be our best half back line with Naughton playing alongside Cordy in the last line of defence. We are also thin on in the ruck division without Roughead leaving a lot of pressure on Tim English as our sole number one ruck man where Boyd has struggled to impress in the past two seasons.

Completely different types though. Morris is competing with our talls and more lockdown types, ie. Naughton, Cordy, Wood and to some degree Crozier and Duryea who are more likely to be asked to lockdown. Suckling is the rebounder and is our best at this aside from JJ seeing as Williams is now a mid.

Don't read too much into the pspecific positions I have named them, it's more a defensive grouping and a forward grouping.

Trengrove and English is plenty of rucks in a squad and means we aren't carrying too many slow talls. Just looking at our list strategy post draft we have picked a list with minimal talls which gels well with Beveridges selection policy. He has shown that he'd much rather run too short than too tall, and last years list being so tall was a baffling decision with this in mind.

Ghost Dog
24-11-2018, 05:40 PM
Tom Boyd has not been as bad as people say and expect him to play a fair bit of footy this year. Needs a lot of encouragement and a bit of luck.

Go_Dogs
25-11-2018, 08:51 AM
All I can say for sure is it's going to be very competitive to get a game if we have a healthy list and continue to balance the need for development of our many younger players. If I'm forced to pick a side with this in mind, at the moment it looks something like:-

Cordy, Naughton, Wood
JJ, Young, Crozier
Richards, Liberatore, Hunter
Bontempelli, Schache, McLean
Gowers, Boyd, Cavarra
English, Dunkley, Macrae
Williams, Lipinski, Daniel, B Smith

I've left out a lot of senior players who will have claims on a spot in fully fit, and expect we will see Morris, Dicko, Suckers and Trengove play a lot of footy throughout the year. If Picken gets back, he may too in the latter stages.

I couldn't find room for Wally, Jong, Dale, Lloyd, Duryea, Greene or West who I think will all have strong claims on a spot in the side, too. We need to keep an eye on development but we are also entering our next win-now window given the experience profile of our best players. Looking forward to seeing how we balance this.

boydogs
25-11-2018, 01:50 PM
All I can say for sure is it's going to be very competitive to get a game if we have a healthy list and continue to balance the need for development of our many younger players. If I'm forced to pick a side with this in mind, at the moment it looks something like:-

Cordy, Naughton, Wood
JJ, Young, Crozier
Richards, Liberatore, Hunter
Bontempelli, Schache, McLean
Gowers, Boyd, Cavarra
English, Dunkley, Macrae
Williams, Lipinski, Daniel, B Smith

I've left out a lot of senior players who will have claims on a spot in fully fit, and expect we will see Morris, Dicko, Suckers and Trengove play a lot of footy throughout the year. If Picken gets back, he may too in the latter stages.

I couldn't find room for Wally, Jong, Dale, Lloyd, Duryea, Greene or West who I think will all have strong claims on a spot in the side, too. We need to keep an eye on development but we are also entering our next win-now window given the experience profile of our best players. Looking forward to seeing how we balance this.

Don't think we will see Young, Lipinski or B Smith round 1 whilst we've got Trengove, Dickson, Suckling, Morris & Wallis available

Go_Dogs
25-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Don't think we will see Young, Lipinski or B Smith round 1 whilst we've got Trengove, Dickson, Suckling, Morris & Wallis available

You're probably right.

Lipinski is an interesting one. He played 17 games in 2018 and looks like a player worth progressing in the senior side.

I didn't expect Richards and particularly Naughton to feature so early, but I expect Smith will if he's over his injury worries. He's ready to go.

GVGjr
25-11-2018, 02:56 PM
You're probably right.

Lipinski is an interesting one. He played 17 games in 2018 and looks like a player worth progressing in the senior side.

I didn't expect Richards and particularly Naughton to feature so early, but I expect Smith will if he's over his injury worries. He's ready to go.

In a more general position I think our selection process for each week needs to have a strong focus on the continued development of our younger players.
We can't be in a position where players like Lipinski, Lewis Young or Lynch don't get enough games to continue their progress.
While I'm a strong supporter of picking the best teams we have slipped back too far and our future is very much about development in 2019.
If that means the likes of Morris, Dickson and Picken have to make room on occasions then we need to consider that.

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 06:48 PM
In a more general position I think our selection process for each week needs to have a strong focus on the continued development of our younger players.
We can't be in a position where players like Lipinski, Lewis Young or Lynch don't get enough games to continue their progress.
While I'm a strong supporter of picking the best teams we have slipped back too far and our future is very much about development in 2019.
If that means the likes of Morris, Dickson and Picken have to make room on occasions then we need to consider that.

Would you look at settling some players into certain positions next year? I would look at cementing Naughton at centre half back and push Richards and Williams up into the wing and maybe Cordy to fullback. Line us up for the next decade.

GVGjr
25-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Would you look at settling some players into certain positions next year? I would look at cementing Naughton at centre half back and push Richards and Williams up into the wing and maybe Cordy to fullback. Line us up for the next decade.

I think the better players like Naughton, Williams, Gowers and Richards will play most weeks and the good part is they're adaptable in the positions they can play. It's more about making sure we keep the games played ticking over with the younger guys.
By that I mean perhaps we should make an effort to have no fewer than 6 players who have played less than 50 games selected most weeks. Now if we are on a winning streak it's just best available but we just need to continue and develop players when we have the chance to.

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 08:42 PM
I think the better players like Naughton, Williams, Gowers and Richards will play most weeks and the good part is they're adaptable in the positions they can play. It's more about making sure we keep the games played ticking over with the younger guys.
By that I mean perhaps we should make an effort to have no fewer than 6 players who have played less than 50 games selected most weeks. Now if we are on a winning streak it's just best available but we just need to continue and develop players when we have the chance to.

I'd like to see a few blokes make a spot on the field their own. I know the coach likes players to be adaptable and versatile but I think it's a better policy to give players confidence playing in spots they are suited to before we start experimenting with their positions. In all the years I have watched footy this was the way we bought players into a team-put them in a position and leave them there until they have played some good footy then start to move them to other parts if the ground.

GVGjr
25-11-2018, 08:53 PM
I'd like to see a few blokes make a spot on the field their own. I know the coach likes players to be adaptable and versatile but I think it's a better policy to give players confidence playing in spots they are suited to before we start experimenting with their positions. In all the years I have watched footy this was the way we bought players into a team-put them in a position and leave them there until they have played some good footy then start to move them to other parts if the ground.

You can see that 'adaptability' is a big thing for the coach. Even Powers comments about nearly all the players we've introduced to the club during the first trade period and then the draft/trade process is all about their ability to play in a variety of positions.

It started off with Lloyd who's generally regarded as a forward but we think he can also play in the midfield, Duryea has played a lot forward but we see him also as a defender. Then it was Smith who's a midfielder forward and defender, West will start off as a forward but also mid. Vandermeer was a chance for both half back and on a wing etc etc.

Much like the Dodo I think one position players at our club could very well be an extinct species but I do tend to think there is a place for players who are just good at certain positions and roles being allowed to settle there.
It's probably a reason why we don't rate the ruck position that highly and tend to look for and favor hybrid types.

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 09:18 PM
You can see that 'adaptability' is a big thing for the coach. Even Powers comments about nearly all the players we've introduced to the club during the first trade period and then the draft/trade process is all about their ability to play in a variety of positions.

It started off with Lloyd who's generally regarded as a forward but we think he can also play in the midfield, Duryea has played a lot forward but we see him also as a defender. Then it was Smith who's a midfielder forward and defender, West will start off as a forward but also mid. Vandermeer was a chance for both half back and on a wing etc etc.

Much like the Dodo I think one position players at our club could very well be an extinct species but I do tend to think there is a place for players who are just good at certain positions and roles being allowed to settle there.

Nice one centurion! I like it... :cool:

(The dodo/Dodoro reference that is.)

It's probably a reason why we don't rate the ruck position that highly and tend to look for and favor hybrid types.

Do the coaching panel not rate ruckman per se or do they not rate the ruckman we have ready to go at the moment?

Mofra
26-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Do the coaching panel not rate ruckman per se or do they not rate the ruckman we have ready to go at the moment?
We don't like immobile rucks is how I see it. I'd imagine Bevo sees hit-out stats as largely irrelevant (which they probably are if you're doing well in clearances and clearances to advantage).

Twodogs
26-11-2018, 07:59 PM
We don't like immobile rucks is how I see it. I'd imagine Bevo sees hit-out stats as largely irrelevant (which they probably are if you're doing well in clearances and clearances to advantage).

Yep, that's how I see it too.

Bevo would love a Peter Moore/Luke Darcy (good at picking the ball up, gets to lots of contests, superfit) type ruckman I reckon

The Doctor
28-11-2018, 11:27 AM
My team looks like this, assuming everyone is fit!

B: Wood, Cordy, Crozier
HB: JJ, Naughton, Hunter
C: McLean, Macrae, Richards
HF: Picken, Bontempelli, Dickson
F: Gowers, Schache, Cavarra
R: English, Dunkley, Libba

Int: Boyd, Williams, Wallis, Daniel

EMG: Trengove, Smith, Lloyd

* Morris comes in on a needs basis

Footscray team

B: Duryea, Roberts, Suckling
HB: Webb, Morris, R.Smith
C: Dale, B.Smith, Vandermeer
HF: Lipinski, Lewis Young, Hayes
F: Lloyd, Trengove, Greene
R: Sweet, Jong, West,

Int: Porter, Khamis, Lachlan Young

mjp
28-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Footscray team

B: Duryea, Roberts, Suckling
HB: Webb, Morris, R.Smith
C: Dale, B.Smith, Vandermeer
HF: Lipinski, Lewis Young, Hayes
F: Lloyd, Trengove, Greene
R: Sweet, Jong, West,

Int: Porter, Khamis, Lachlan Young

So...I don't disagree with your team but here's the thing:

1/. We went out and got Duryea...I think he will play.
2/. Suckling was our best player early last year...he will play.
3/. Morris will play. I know you said 'needs basis' but I haven't heard anything about him being a p/t player.
4/. Smith is a top 10 pick. I cannot see how he wouldn't play as on talent alone he will 100% be in the frame.
5/. Lipinski will play. Good 2018 where he showed ability as a hf and finished as an inside mid.
6/. Trengove will play. Too versatile to miss and put in some horrible efforts early last year yet continued to be selected (I thought he was pretty solid back end)...he is just going to be in the team.
7/. Lloyd - See Duryea.

So...given all of that, what is it going to look like? I can't identify the 7 outs either - like I said, I agree with you in the main - but...

Bulldog Joe
28-11-2018, 04:05 PM
I'm with MJP on the 7 he lists.

Obviously the 22 will be decided on fitness as well.

I can't see Picken getting a game unless we are absolutely certain he is over his issues. Even then I believe he needs to prove he can still play, as his kamikaze style is not suited to continuing from the concussions.

Can' see Cavarra getting games in conjunction with Dickson/Lloyd.

The difficulty in picking a best 22 is one of the reasons I am very bullish for 2019 and beyond.

We just need to get our best team on the park on a regular basis.

Mofra
28-11-2018, 05:38 PM
It's a very difficult task. At this stage I have Picken out, ditto Dickson with Lloyd taking his spot given Lloyd can run in the middle too.
Trengove was our best performed ruck last year (secodn half of the season) and under the new rules teams seem set to play two ruckmen which means Boyd and/or English are vying for one spot and I'm actually tipping English in which leaves Boyd out.

I'm not even sure Wallis plays given he's primarily a forward and we've just brought in a couple and midfield spots will be tight with Williams making the transition there, Richards looking good on a wing and Libba likely to earn his spot back. Lippi might be unlucky too.

Dunkley simply has to play, the flow on effect (releasing Bont to play more outside) is just so much better for the side. When Dunkley went into the middle late in the year Bont's contested numbers dropped from 50% to 33% of his possession output and his total disposal rate increased. He's so deadly on the outside I like this move, releases him more.

bornadog
15-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Another go at Round one team - link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-15/r1-2019-who-plays-in-your-clubs-seasonopener)

TEAM EXPLAINED: An experienced backline largely picks itself. Captain Easton Wood and veteran Dale Morris only played three games together in 2018, which opened the door for Aaron Naughton and Zaine Cordy. The latter has played 37 games in the past two seasons and should feature, leaving ex-Hawks Matthew Suckling and Taylor Duryea potentially on the fringe.

The midfield looks gritty and reliable although could lack genuine leg-speed and elite ball-use.

A forward line crying out for goalkickers is likely to demand improvement from Tom Boyd and Josh Schache, while the void left by star half-forward Luke Dahlhaus could be filled by former Tiger Sam Lloyd or the return of Liam Picken from concussion symptoms.

The No.1 ruck position looks to be up for grabs between the flexibility of Jackson Trengove and the developing Tim English.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: A dogfight could emerge for Bailey Williams' spot in the back six, as a surplus of defenders push their names. Matthew Suckling played the first 11 games last season before an Achilles injury and is training freely. His penetrating left foot might be a preferred option.

B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy
HB: Bailey Williams, Aaron Naughton, Jason Johannisen
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Billy Gowers, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
Foll: Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis
I/C: Ed Richards, Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley, Hayden Crozier

Defender depth: Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea, Brad Lynch, Roarke Smith, Lewis Young, Fletcher Roberts, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis

Forward depth: Liam Picken, Patrick Lipinski, Lukas Webb, Fergus Greene, Ben Cavarra

Midfield depth: Lin Jong, Bailey Dale, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Will Hayes, Callum Porter

Ruck depth: Tim English, Jordan Sweet

Mofra
18-12-2018, 11:09 AM
^ Fair effort - I have English in for Boyd, he's still not back to full training and most teams will play two rucks who can provide a presence forward now with the new rules.
I don't have Bailey Williams in defence at all. Crozier starts on field, Williams to bench. Wallis isn't a starting mid either, he plays mostly forward swapping in the mids or not at all. He's probably 22nd picked if not out all together for Suckling. Might eb a Lloyd vs wallis question over the pre-season.

Vred
18-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Another go at Round one team - link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-15/r1-2019-who-plays-in-your-clubs-seasonopener)

TEAM EXPLAINED: An experienced backline largely picks itself. Captain Easton Wood and veteran Dale Morris only played three games together in 2018, which opened the door for Aaron Naughton and Zaine Cordy. The latter has played 37 games in the past two seasons and should feature, leaving ex-Hawks Matthew Suckling and Taylor Duryea potentially on the fringe.

The midfield looks gritty and reliable although could lack genuine leg-speed and elite ball-use.

A forward line crying out for goalkickers is likely to demand improvement from Tom Boyd and Josh Schache, while the void left by star half-forward Luke Dahlhaus could be filled by former Tiger Sam Lloyd or the return of Liam Picken from concussion symptoms.

The No.1 ruck position looks to be up for grabs between the flexibility of Jackson Trengove and the developing Tim English.

PRE-SEASON BATTLE: A dogfight could emerge for Bailey Williams' spot in the back six, as a surplus of defenders push their names. Matthew Suckling played the first 11 games last season before an Achilles injury and is training freely. His penetrating left foot might be a preferred option.

B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Zaine Cordy
HB: Bailey Williams, Aaron Naughton, Jason Johannisen
C: Lachie Hunter, Marcus Bontempelli, Jackson Macrae
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Billy Gowers, Tom Boyd, Tory Dickson
Foll: Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis
I/C: Ed Richards, Caleb Daniel, Josh Dunkley, Hayden Crozier

Defender depth: Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea, Brad Lynch, Roarke Smith, Lewis Young, Fletcher Roberts, Laitham Vandermeer, Lachie Young, Buku Khamis

Forward depth: Liam Picken, Patrick Lipinski, Lukas Webb, Fergus Greene, Ben Cavarra

Midfield depth: Lin Jong, Bailey Dale, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Will Hayes, Callum Porter

Ruck depth: Tim English, Jordan Sweet

I like this setup alot, although possibly English in for Boyd and Picken (if 100% fit) for Tory

Mantis
20-12-2018, 11:14 AM
I don't have Bailey Williams in defence at all. Crozier starts on field, Williams to bench. Wallis isn't a starting mid either, he plays mostly forward swapping in the mids or not at all. He's probably 22nd picked if not out all together for Suckling. Might eb a Lloyd vs wallis question over the pre-season.

Whilst it was great that Wallis signed on as he is a great role model with regard to training standards he is going to have to be at his best and continue to develop his skills if he is to lock down a spot in our best 22... lots of competition for spots in the mid sized forward/ midfiled spots which can only be a good thing.

Mofra
20-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Whilst it was great that Wallis signed on as he is a great role model with regard to training standards he is going to have to be at his best and continue to develop his skills if he is to lock down a spot in our best 22... lots of competition for spots in the mid sized forward/ midfiled spots which can only be a good thing.
Too true - late last year he was very good in that role but adding Lloyd changes things, Caverra can't be far away and why would we chase Duryea if there wasn't a defined role for him? We don't know yet whether that's forward or back, although it may be a small lockdown defender role we gave Roarke many chances at.

Two smokies - Bailey Dale (who looked bast 22 in 2017) and Fergus Greene who was actually quite effective, even if he did constantly lead to spaces that were more difficult chances to convert from.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-12-2018, 07:03 PM
The team needs rapid improvement following two disappointing years and for that reason, I believe Lloyd, Duryea and Bailey Smith, should all be included in the opening senior team. There is enough good defenders, to free up Richards to play a more damaging role forward. English and Trengrove appeal as our best ruck combination. Still not convinced that we can play both Boyd and Schache as key forwards in the one team. The return of Liberatore should lift an under manned midfield, where I think Bailey Williams, could also be an asset in this division.
This would be my opening line up:
B. Morris Cordy Naughton
HB. JJ Wood Crozier
C. Hunter McLean Macrae
HF. Lloyd Trengrove Richards
F. Gowers Schache Dunkley
R. English Bontempelli Liberatore
Int. B Williams, Wallis, Duryea, B Smith

BornInDroopSt'54
21-12-2018, 08:35 PM
I agree that we are developing so need to play the developing players. At tension with this is the media image we have made that we are ready for finals and ready to overcome the blemishes of the last two years. Given a quarter of our list is new and therefore unknown in terms of how they perform at AFL level, it is difficult to sell hope that they will get us to finals in 2019. Personally I'm just happy to play the younger players in their expected positions until they gain experience and success in the position. If we make the finals its a bonus.
However one would think that Cavarra and Duryea having been recruited as mature players would get a chance to prove their worth. If we do go with Smith and all young guys Footscray is going to have a very experienced team with maybe Morris, Cavarra, Duryea, Picken, even Wallis etc.

GVGjr
22-12-2018, 07:23 AM
The team needs rapid improvement following two disappointing years and for that reason, I believe Lloyd, Duryea and Bailey Smith, should all be included in the opening senior team. There is enough good defenders, to free up Richards to play a more damaging role forward. English and Trengrove appeal as our best ruck combination. Still not convinced that we can play both Boyd and Schache as key forwards in the one team. The return of Liberatore should lift an under manned midfield, where I think Bailey Williams, could also be an asset in this division.
This would be my opening line up:
B. Morris Cordy Naughton
HB. JJ Wood Crozier
C. Hunter McLean Macrae
HF. Lloyd Trengrove Richards
F. Gowers Schache Dunkley
Int. B Williams, Wallis, Duryea, B Smith
While I think you have selected a good team the most noticeable players missing are Boyd and Lipinski. We have to try and make Boyd into a key forward who both partners Schache in a twin towers type set-up and also does some ruck work. I thought Lipinski finished the year off as a very bright prospect and he should be in the mix for us at the start of the season. I also think Suckling was having his best season for us before his injury and he probably should also be in our best 22

S Coast Simon
22-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Best thing is they are all strong looking teams having been selected.
will have a go at one for the first round

B Morris Cordy Crozier
HB Wood Naughton JJ
C Richards Bont Macrae
HF Hunter Schache Maclean
F Boyd Gowers Dickson
R English Dunkley Libba
IN Trengove Daniel Suckling Williams

i have English 50% Trengove 40% Boyd 10% ruck ditties rotating through forward pocket and the bench if all is going nicely. I would like to see us try stick to our guns a little bit more this year.

Getting a a bit excited to see what could happen. A lot of good players going to miss a lot of AFL if the boys can stay on the park

Twodogs
22-12-2018, 09:33 PM
Best thing is they are all strong looking teams having been selected.
will have a go at one for the first round

B Morris Cordy Crozier
HB Wood Naughton JJ
C Richards Bont Macrae
HF Hunter Schache Maclean
F Boyd Gowers Dickson
R English Dunkley Libba
IN Trengove Daniel Suckling Williams

i have English 50% Trengove 40% Boyd 10% ruck ditties rotating through forward pocket and the bench if all is going nicely. I would like to see us try stick to our guns a little bit more this year.

Getting a a bit excited to see what could happen. A lot of good players going to miss a lot of AFL if the boys can stay on the park

First thing I thought when I looked at your team was that I'd move Gowers to the HFF because he is more suited to the flank with his creativity in the forward line and so Boyd could play out of the square but who do we move Hunter or Magic Maclean?

Spots are going to be at a premium next year. It's going to be great.

The Underdog
13-01-2019, 01:54 PM
My go. A crossover between what I think will happen and what I’d do.
Not a huge fan of the Duryea pick up but I figure they’ll play him to start. I’d play English from the get go but can see them playing Trengove. I like Trengove but would have him behind Boyd, Schache and English for a spot.
I’d have Picken and Dickson ahead of Lloyd, but figure one of them will be injured so Lloyd will get that spot. Pretty sure Bailey Smith will play round one but not sure who he’ll be ahead of at this point. We’ve certainly got some depth developing.
Morris gets the benefit of the doubt but damn, it’s getting tough to squeeze him in.

B: Morris, Cordy, Crozier
HB: Wood, Naughton, Duryea
C: Hunter, Macrae, JJ
HF: Dickson(Lloyd), Boyd, Richards
F: Gowers, Schache, Picken (Lloyd)
R: English, Bont, Maclean
Int: Williams, Liberatore, Suckling, Dunkley
Emg : Trengove, Wallis, B. Smith, Daniel

GVGjr
13-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Most of the best 22 teams selected don't have Williams in the starting 18 and very few teams if any have Lipinski in the 22.
I get the conjecture about Boyd, English and Trengove but just with both Williams and Lipinski did enough to be in the round one team if fully fit.

The hardest players to select appear to be Lloyd, Duryea, Dickson and Picken which is a great sign that we have some playing depth.

I'm told Dickson is well on track to completing his first uninterrupted pre-season in a couple of years and for what it's worth Trengove is well ahead of where he was 12 months ago.

Some good signs for sure.

The Underdog
13-01-2019, 07:01 PM
Most of the best 22 teams selected don't have Williams in the starting 18 and very few teams if any have Lipinski in the 22.
I get the conjecture about Boyd, English and Trengove but just with both Williams and Lipinski did enough to be in the round one team if fully fit.

The hardest players to select appear to be Lloyd, Duryea, Dickson and Picken which is a great sign that we have some playing depth.

I'm told Dickson is well on track to completing his first uninterrupted pre-season in a couple of years and for what it's worth Trengove is well ahead of where he was 12 months ago.

Williams could quite easily beat out Duryea on the HBF and I’d rate him higher for sure. I just figure if they’ve brought Duryea in they’ll use him, at least early on. Lipinski could definitely be best 22, I’m just not sure based on the current set-up who he beats out when all are fit and in form.
I had to kick Daniel out to put in Hunter who I forgot. It’s competitive as hell for spots. And that’s without Bailey Dale who I rate highly.

LostDoggy
13-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Williams surely has to play but as last years early rounds show, the match committee may not follow the script.
I’m hoping Boyd is good to go.

Mofra
14-01-2019, 10:05 AM
I have Williams in the team as part of our midfield rotations, I'm a big fan of his trajectory.

Lipinski I don't yet - surely Lloyd has to play and he seems set to play that high forward rotation with the mids position. I suspect Richards play on the wing as well given our backline prospects.

GVGjr
20-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Duryea's interview on the clubs website indicates he is training as a defender
I wonder what we are trying to do with our back line?

Duryea, Crozier, Richards and Suckling are all ironically left foot kicks and highly regarded with the kicking skills
Throw in Johannisen, Wood, Cordy, Morris, Naughton, Williams, Lewis Young and R.Smith we seem to have more than enough players to cover any injuries plus we have a few players like Roberts and Lynch on the fringes

It's highly likely we need to move both Richards and Williams into midfield roles but I wonder how we squeeze some very deserving players into our back line set-up?

bulldogtragic
20-01-2019, 06:56 PM
I might review mine by grouping. As far as a generic opponent:

2 tall defenders, 1 medium defender, 3 small/running defenders (6)
2 tall forwards, 1 medium forward, 3 small forwards (6)
2 tall mids/bench players, 3 bigger mids/bench players, 5 small mids/bench players 10)

Tall defenders:

Naughton, Cordy (Young, Roberts)

Mid defender:

Wood (Morris)

Small defenders:

Crozier, Suckling, Daniel

Tall forwards:

Boyd, Schache

Medium Forward:

Dickson/Lloyd

Small forwards (rotating mid):

McLean, Williams, Gowers

Mid/Bench Talls:

English (r), Trengove (b - handyman role across all lines)

Mid/Bench Big Mids:

Bonts, Dunkley, Wallis

Mid/Bench Mids:

Libba, Hunter, Macrae, Richards, JJ

So:

B: Suckling Naughton Cordy
HB: Crozier Wood Daniel
C: Hunter Bonts JJ
HF: McLean Schache Williams
F: Dickson, Boyd, Gowers
R: English, Dunkley, Macrae
Int: Wallis, Richards, Trengove, Libba

Virtually impossible to pick really. If we can stay fit, the seconds/Footscray players kick the door down, players in the selected 22 fight to keep their spots, then one's imagination can run away about what this talented group could do.

GVGjr
20-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Strong looking team BT, some good players never made the 22

bornadog
20-01-2019, 09:15 PM
I really would like to see Wood freed up and not have to play tall this year. This has prohibited him from his trade mark intercepting.

Lloyd is a good chance to play in best 22, but it should not be a given.

GVGjr
20-01-2019, 09:22 PM
I really would like to see Wood freed up and not have to play tall this year. This has prohibited him from his trade mark intercepting.

Lloyd is a good chance to play in best 22, but it should not be a given.

So we would play 3 taller defenders or are you saying he should play as the 3rd tall defender?
From memory you don't want Morris to play tall either.
Playing both ot them as 3rd and 4th tall defenders would slow down the transition from the back line significantly and neither of them are very skilled by foot

bulldogtragic
20-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Strong looking team BT, some good players never made the 22

Yeah, I was finding it too hard to pick 22 on reputation only. So breaking it down to the best role players helped. But there's not much of a gap on a Lippa or Lloyd over Dickson. Or Duryea even though I don't rate him personally, he was recruited for a reason. Then leaving aside a mature recruit who could surprise like Cavarra, or a kid bolting like the last few years like maybe a Smith or West. I don't know where to place our older guys like Picken & Morris, although I suspect time will catch them quickly.

The talent and potential is there, getting the players physically right and playing to peak performance is obviously the key (resulting in winning belief). The other interesting point is where Bevo sees the best role or position for (mainly) Williams & Richards, and whether we play them there or for balance have to shunt them around if they're seen as predominantly HBFs.

There's not a huge difference in personnel from 2018 with its goalless halves and goalless quarters. So hopefully my optimism in the growth in lots of talented guys turns out right.

Mofra
21-01-2019, 09:09 AM
B: Suckling Naughton Cordy
HB: Crozier Wood Daniel
C: Hunter Bonts JJ
HF: McLean Schache Williams
F: Dickson, Boyd, Gowers
R: English, Dunkley, Macrae
Int: Wallis, Richards, Trengove, Libba

Virtually impossible to pick really. If we can stay fit, the seconds/Footscray players kick the door down, players in the selected 22 fight to keep their spots, then one's imagination can run away about what this talented group could do.
Good effort. Shows how hard it is to pick a team when two players we targetted specifically (Lloyd and Duryea) aren't in a lot of people's teams.

Personally I don't think Boyd plays at the start of the year (injury) and even if fit one of Schache, Trengove or English misses out and Boyd might have missed out anyway.

I have Wallis in the forwards group based on his second half of last year and Williams in the mid rotations. JJ's an interesting one - for team balance we probably want him on a wing but he is a better player behind the ball.

I think Morris and Duryea and Lloyd all play but who (besides Boyd) comes out of the side? Willaims is a lock for mine and apparently Dickson is having his first full pre-season for a few years.

bornadog
21-01-2019, 09:20 AM
So we would play 3 taller defenders or are you saying he should play as the 3rd tall defender?
From memory you don't want Morris to play tall either.
Playing both ot them as 3rd and 4th tall defenders would slow down the transition from the back line significantly and neither of them are very skilled by foot

I wasn't talking about Morris, but now that you bring him up, he is a medium height defender

Wood should play a half back flank role.

bulldogtragic
21-01-2019, 09:41 AM
Good effort. Shows how hard it is to pick a team when two players we targetted specifically (Lloyd and Duryea) aren't in a lot of people's teams.

Personally I don't think Boyd plays at the start of the year (injury) and even if fit one of Schache, Trengove or English misses out and Boyd might have missed out anyway.

I have Wallis in the forwards group based on his second half of last year and Williams in the mid rotations. JJ's an interesting one - for team balance we probably want him on a wing but he is a better player behind the ball.

I think Morris and Duryea and Lloyd all play but who (besides Boyd) comes out of the side? Willaims is a lock for mine and apparently Dickson is having his first full pre-season for a few years.

If we remain injury free heading into R1, good luck to the match committee!

GVGjr
21-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I wasn't talking about Morris, but now that you bring him up, he is a medium height defender

Wood should play a half back flank role.

So as the 4th tall? If so I think that slows down the transition out of the back line significantly.

He hasn't been in good form for 2 years and I think he just has to play as a 3rd tall because he doesn't have the pace or skill level by foot to set-up enough attacking ball movement.

The likes of Suckling, JJ, Duryea, Richards and Crozier are need in the back line to improve the quality of our kicking
Morris and Wood are good defensive players but they don't add a lot to getting the ball moving quickly

mjp
21-01-2019, 11:44 AM
If we remain injury free heading into R1, good luck to the match committee!

I've said this before, but the TOP teams pick themselves.

We are having trouble selecting the 22 as there as so many players on our list who have shown FLASHES and have given us reason to be encouraged, but have by no means earned their spot.

I think if you try and nominate 'locks' for positions, you will find that list is relatively small:

Wood - Intercept defender
Morris - Lock down defender
Macrae + Dunkley - Inside mids
Hunter - Outside mid
Maclean - High forward
Dickson - Deep forward
Bont - Everywhere else

Apologies to Libba (injury) as he would be in this list as well...but who else would you say has 'nailed down' a spot? I guess I should say 'JJ - Running Defender' but that is surely needs the '*' of 'against teams who wont tag him'. Who else?

I know everyone is going to tell me that player 'x' or 'y' deserve to play - and you could make a case for a heap of guys with Caleb Daniel atop my personal list - but until they really 'OWN' their role this is going to be a difficult exercise.

bornadog
21-01-2019, 12:58 PM
So as the 4th tall? If so I think that slows down the transition out of the back line significantly.

He hasn't been in good form for 2 years and I think he just has to play as a 3rd tall because he doesn't have the pace or skill level by foot to set-up enough attacking ball movement.

The likes of Suckling, JJ, Duryea, Richards and Crozier are need in the back line to improve the quality of our kicking
Morris and Wood are good defensive players but they don't add a lot to getting the ball moving quickly

This, as I mentioned in my post.

Wood is shorter than Dunkley and not even 190cm. Yes he has a great leap, but we can't keep killing him playing against the Franklins of the world. Wood needs to be roaming along the Halfback line, taking marks.

Mofra
21-01-2019, 01:32 PM
Wood is shorter than Dunkley and not even 190cm. Yes he has a great leap, but we can't keep killing him playing against the Franklins of the world. Wood needs to be roaming along the Halfback line, taking marks.
That's what an intercept defender does.

GVGjr
21-01-2019, 02:32 PM
I've said this before, but the TOP teams pick themselves.

We are having trouble selecting the 22 as there as so many players on our list who have shown FLASHES and have given us reason to be encouraged, but have by no means earned their spot.

I think if you try and nominate 'locks' for positions, you will find that list is relatively small:

Morris - Lock down defender
Macrae + Dunkley - Inside mids
Hunter - Outside mid
Maclean - High forward
Dickson - Deep forward
Bont - Everywhere else

Apologies to Libba (injury) as he would be in this list as well...but who else would you say has 'nailed down' a spot? I guess I should say 'JJ - Running Defender' but that is surely needs the '*' of 'against teams who wont tag him'. Who else?

I know everyone is going to tell me that player 'x' or 'y' deserve to play - and you could make a case for a heap of guys with Caleb Daniel atop my personal list - but until they really 'OWN' their role this is going to be a difficult exercise.

MJP, given we have focused our drafting and recruiting on improving the kicking skills off the back half over the last couple of years so can we really play both Wood and Morris in the team together given that they?:
A) They aren't great kicks and B) They don't get a lot of the ball.

To me they have some limitations despite having some attributes we need

I can see that one of them needs to play as the 3rd tall but I think playing both of them slows the transition out of the back half

Interested in your thoughts?

mjp
21-01-2019, 06:28 PM
Agree they have limitations - but Morris in particular is a 'more than the sum of the parts' player. His ability to simply do the right thing and get to the right spots and win one-on-ones and leave his man at the 'right' time to become a help defender etc etc...he can just play.

Wood is a leader. Aggressive with the ball in the air. I have always been concerned about his inability to win the ball/get involved in possession chains but he is still a top 6 defender given what else we have available.

Basically, I am confident the others around them - and I am assuming it is going to be something like Cordy, Crozier, Suckling and a rotating cast of JJ, Richards, Daniel and Williams - can provide enough run and polish to both TAKE ADVANTAGE of the strengths of Morris and Wood whilst also covering for their weaknesses.

Mofra
22-01-2019, 10:09 AM
Agree they have limitations - but Morris in particular is a 'more than the sum of the parts' player. His ability to simply do the right thing and get to the right spots and win one-on-ones and leave his man at the 'right' time to become a help defender etc etc...he can just play.

Wood is a leader. Aggressive with the ball in the air. I have always been concerned about his inability to win the ball/get involved in possession chains but he is still a top 6 defender given what else we have available.

Basically, I am confident the others around them - and I am assuming it is going to be something like Cordy, Crozier, Suckling and a rotating cast of JJ, Richards, Daniel and Williams - can provide enough run and polish to both TAKE ADVANTAGE of the strengths of Morris and Wood whilst also covering for their weaknesses.
It's not like we only have six players in defence - outside of a fast transition AFL seems to be a more 'total football' in recent years which means the midfield rolls back anyway, as well as the higher running forwards if play has been stagnant for a while.

soupman
30-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Not sure Wallis made the right choice staying. I think he could very easily find himself out of our best 22.

For mine he doesn't get a game as a mid, and as a forward is up against a group of potential big improvers like Greene, Lloyd, Gowers, Cavarra, Richards, Lipinski and Dickson, with many being more dynamic.

Could easily see him being an emergency for a lot of this season.

Bulldog Joe
31-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Not sure Wallis made the right choice staying. I think he could very easily find himself out of our best 22.

For mine he doesn't get a game as a mid, and as a forward is up against a group of potential big improvers like Greene, Lloyd, Gowers, Cavarra, Richards, Lipinski and Dickson, with many being more dynamic.

I think we will be going very well if Mitch Wallis struggles to get games on form.

Mofra
31-01-2019, 12:11 PM

He is not a starting mid for mine either but was incredibly effective as a forward in the latter stages of the season.
We have traditionally played a 'tough bastard' forward who isn't quick but is smart and good in traffic (DFA, Gia, Clay Smith) and wally appears to be the latest iteration of that.

As a team we typically score more from a contested situation than other sides and being able to 'scrap' a goal brings a player like wally into focus.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-01-2019, 08:42 PM

i would be happy to see Wallis in our opening 22. He becomes a better player with Libba in the side and provides valuable support in the midfield and when resting up forward. See him as an inspiring onfield leader with his never say die attitude. There is something special about the WB, father/son combinations like Cordy, Liberatore, Hunter and Wallis.

The Pie Man
01-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Was going though this yesterday using the Round 23 side as a base and generating Ins / Outs from there....I can only echo sentiments already raised in this thread - fitness pending, round 1 will be a tough selection call.

You could include Daniel as one of the 7 defenders, which would really put the squeeze on

Wood, Naughton, JJ
Duryea, Morris, Crozier

Suckling as the spare.......which means Cordy misses...surely he doesn't miss? Is the skip in any danger?

Forwards will be a bit of a squeeze

Lloyd, Schache, Richards
Wallis, Gowers, Cavarra

McLean as the spare - but more the mid/fwd spare....which would see English miss as the 2nd ruck/forward...perhaps unlikely. I know plenty would think Cavarra misses, but we *really* need a small pressure forward, and he seems ready to go. Dickson, Greene & Lipinski also miss this side, which seems harsh. Richards will probably play more wing...but will probably play more defence now I've written that.

Ruck & mids is the same situation again.

Trengove, The Bont, Dunkley
Hunter, Libba, Macrae

Daniel & Williams as the spares...which would see Jong miss, while Bailey Smith is an interesting wildcard given he's close to full fitness.

This aint easy

Torpedo
01-02-2019, 08:40 PM
Glad I'm not on the Match Committee! I was wondering though, whether the MC would be likely to take a season overview with regard to first few rounds? Does age, experience, early season heat come into its thinking? ie. would the MC say for example that Dickson(with his hammies/groin issues) have some early games in vfl with a view to working slowly into the season and managing his health to ensure his finals availability?
While at the same time thinking that say, a younger Lipinski , might be given the opportunity to play his position for the first few rounds, when games are often just won by the quicker team, that outlasts the other in hot conditions and skills aren't up to peak levels.

bornadog
02-02-2019, 12:23 AM
Glad I'm not on the Match Committee! I was wondering though, whether the MC would be likely to take a season overview with regard to first few rounds? Does age, experience, early season heat come into its thinking? ie. would the MC say for example that Dickson(with his hammies/groin issues) have some early games in vfl with a view to working slowly into the season and managing his health to ensure his finals availability?
While at the same time thinking that say, a younger Lipinski , might be given the opportunity to play his position for the first few rounds, when games are often just won by the quicker team, that outlasts the other in hot conditions and skills aren't up to peak levels.

I think Bevo gives the opportunity to those that perform well in either practise matches or in the VFL. The practise matches will determine round 1.

Mofra
05-02-2019, 02:53 PM
I think Bevo gives the opportunity to those that perform well in either practise matches or in the VFL. The practise matches will determine round 1.
Pretty much.
I remember when he arrived and we were shocked to find Minson wasn't an automatic lock for ruck duties even though he was ~15 months away from his AA year.
Last year Gowers played round 1 after coming from the clouds and Naughton was thrown into the deep end.

bornadog
05-02-2019, 04:20 PM
Pretty much.
I remember when he arrived and we were shocked to find Minson wasn't an automatic lock for ruck duties even though he was ~15 months away from his AA year.
Last year Gowers played round 1 after coming from the clouds and Naughton was thrown into the deep end.

Who could the surprise packet be this year for round 1?

Axe Man
05-02-2019, 04:59 PM

Lachlan Young got a wrap in one of the club videos or articles I seem to recall. I will say him because it would be a massive shock and I will look like a genius if I'm correct!

Mofra
05-02-2019, 05:03 PM
It's hard as on paper we have a lot of competition for spots... but Fergus Greene? Really worked well with Schache who was the lynchpin of our forward system late in the year.

Every year someone unexpectedly sinks (Bailey Dale last year, Dickson along with a lot of the team a year earlier) and someone comes from nowhere.

Doc26
05-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Hopefully Fergus. There’s just something exciting about what he could become.

Dry Rot
05-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Sweet.

We need a second ruck and maybe Sweet offers more right now than English vs Naismith and Sinclair.

Let him crack some Swans heads.

S Coast Simon
05-02-2019, 10:22 PM
I’m with you I would love to see Sweet come in and throw his weight around.

Dry Rot
06-02-2019, 12:14 AM
I’m with you I would love to see Sweet come in and throw his weight around.

Yeah, I want to see red and white blood in round 1.

jeemak
06-02-2019, 12:56 AM
It is unbelievably hard when (as MJP pointed out) we don't have a huge amount of players who select themselves.

Some comments on some of the themes from within this thread:

- I don't think either Lloyd or Duryea are locks for round one even though it seems they were recruited for specific reasons. Simply they add depth to a list that struggled to keep the pace when numbers thinned out at times last year, if they don't perform well in the JLT and others vying for their positions do, they won't play

- Morris, Wood, Naughton and Cordy can all play in the same team. Don't be surprised to see the latter play some time in the ruck to help out if we use one of English or Trengove as the sole ruckman, or if one is injured throughout the year. Wood and Morris the medium sized defenders playing tall and short as match ups dictate, we will need to get numbers back quickly to help out with rebounding run as we are a bit light on for pace. I want to see JJ behind the ball unless he's having a stinker and needs a move, and I think I like Crozier back as well with the likes of Suckling and Daniel pushing back to help us clear defence when they play

- I'm taking for granted that Boyd will have an inconsistent year, it's just too hard for big blokes to get going without a preseason. English and Trengove are the rucks rotating through a forward pocket, Schache should play high to give these guys actual rest when off the ball and to spread opposition defenders with his aerobic capacity. I think we will go mobile across half forward generally, any of 18 players could fill four small to medium forward roles, to me that's insane

Given the last point I don't see how I can think of a distinctly more credible team than the variations already tabled in this discussion - maybe until we have a few JLT and intra-club matches under our belts. If we have had a good preseason and everyone is going as well as they say they are, and the coaching team stays focused I don't think Champion Data will be ranking our list as the 14th strongest in the competition come year's end.

On coaching department focus, it was interesting to note that in the Bevo surfing video mention was made of the leadership team being really firm with the coaches in stating what they believed would lead to success, and this played a part in the late season turnaround. I've been happy to not hear of anything outlandish from the coaching team to this point, there's still time I suppose, but something tells me we'll be playing players to their more obvious strengths from round one.

Hopefully with fresh faces, developing younger players hungry for success, and a change in culture due to recent departures we can start the season well with some competitive football.

Mofra
06-02-2019, 09:42 AM
On coaching department focus, it was interesting to note that in the Bevo surfing video mention was made of the leadership team being really firm with the coaches in stating what they believed would lead to success, and this played a part in the late season turnaround. I've been happy to not hear of anything outlandish from the coaching team to this point, there's still time I suppose, but something tells me we'll be playing players to their more obvious strengths from round one.

On this, I suspect some of the 'experimentation' of earlier 2018 is over. We now some of the midfield combos that work well (i.e. pairing Dunks and Bonti) and those that don't (i.e. Wally against any opponent that spreads well).

I suspect we'll see a more settled line up in some respects - Dunks pure mid, Wally forward, JJ either behind the ball or on the wing, Schache permanent forward, Wood behind the ball.

Happy Days
06-02-2019, 10:37 AM
On this, I suspect some of the 'experimentation' of earlier 2018 is over. We now some of the midfield combos that work well (i.e. pairing Dunks and Bonti) and those that don't (i.e. Wally against any opponent that spreads well).

I suspect we'll see a more settled line up in some respects - Dunks pure mid, Wally forward, JJ either behind the ball or on the wing, Schache permanent forward, Wood behind the ball.

Agree with this - was clear that we played far better football with the end of season lineup (which is why you experiment I guess but it was also wildly coincidental that the end of season lineup had everyone save for Wal in their preferred/drafted-as positions).

The Pie Man
06-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Agree with this - was clear that we played far better football with the end of season lineup (which is why you experiment I guess but it was also wildly coincidental that the end of season lineup had everyone save for Wal in their preferred/drafted-as positions).

+ Lynch more forward than HBF....which I think we all really liked the look of against Richmond.

Dry Rot
19-02-2019, 12:20 AM
This is tricky, but not that hard.

Backline: Moz, Cordy, Naughton, Wood and Crozier pick themselves. JJ would be there but injured, so either Williams or Dureya is the 6th.

Up forward, Schache, one of English or Trengove, Gowers and Wallis pick themselves. I agree with some here that Loyd was traded in to play. That's 5. The sixth is from Dickson, Greene, Lynch, West and Cavarra.

In the guts, one of English or Trengove is ruck and say the starting 5 mids are Hunter, McCrae, Bont, Dunks and Libba.

With the bench, McLean and Suckling are locks and I'd like to think Richards is too. So the last spot is from Smith, Lipinski, Daniel or Dureya.

Mantis
06-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Basis 1 JLT game I'm leaning towards:

B: Wood, Morris, Daniel
HB: Crozier, Naughton, Williams
C: Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
HF: McLean, Schache, Lloyd
F: Wallis, English, Gowers
R: Trengove, Bontempelli, Liberatore

Int: Richards, Suckling, Lipinski, Cordy

Emergencies: Duryea, Smith, Dickson

kruder
06-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Basis 1 JLT game I'm leaning towards:

B: Wood, Morris, Daniel
HB: Crozier, Naughton, Williams
F: Wallis, English, Gowers

Int: Richards, Suckling, Lipinski, Cordy

Emergencies: Duryea, Smith, Dickson

Really like the team but still think we are down a specialist forward. Who ever plays better out of Dickson, Greene or Cavarra replaces Lippa for mine.

bornadog
10-03-2019, 08:21 PM
B: Morris, Naughton, Daniel
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Wood
HF: McLean, English, Lloyd
F: Wallis, Schache, Dickson

Int: Richards, Suckling, Williams, Gowers

Rocco Jones
10-03-2019, 09:28 PM
B: Morris, Naughton, Wood
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Daniel
F: Wallis, Trengove, Gowers
R: English, Bontempelli, Liberatore
I/C: Suckling, Williams, Duryea, Richards
Emerg: Smith, Hayes, Lipsinki, Roberts

comrade
10-03-2019, 10:37 PM
B: Morris, Naughton, Wood
HB: Crozier, Cordy, Daniel
I/C: Suckling, Williams, Duryea, Richards
Emerg: Smith, Hayes, Lipsinki, Roberts

Yeah, that's pretty much my first choice team. We're not scaring too many opposition defensive groups with that line up.

bornadog
10-03-2019, 11:03 PM
Had Duryea earned a spot ?

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Had Duryea earned a spot ?

I'm not sure. He looked OK at times and seems to be someone who helps organise the back line but he isn't getting enough of the ball
Can we play both he and Daniel in the back line?

Sedat
10-03-2019, 11:45 PM
Gowers has played himself out of the R1 lineup for mine. Been dreadful in the pre-season.

MrMahatma
10-03-2019, 11:47 PM
Gowers has played himself out of the R1 lineup for mine. Been dreadful in the pre-season.

I’d agree with this. But who replaces him? He was horrible today.

bornadog
11-03-2019, 12:00 AM
I’d agree with this. But who replaces him? He was horrible today.
Dickson

bornadog
11-03-2019, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure. He looked OK at times and seems to be someone who helps organise the back line but he isn't getting enough of the ball
i wouldn’t

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-03-2019, 12:27 AM
Both Duryea and Daniel were poor in defence today. Both were caught out badly at times through lack of height. Would prefer to see Richards return to defence where he plays his best football with Trengrove to assist Cordy with some extra height which was sadly lacking today. Naughton is a far better overhead mark than Schache who plays best as a leading forward. Both Naughton and Lloyd add value to a forward line that has struggled badly over the past two seasons. Daniel’s cleverness and good skills makes him a valuable player further afield. I doubt whether Duryea is in our best 22.

jeemak
11-03-2019, 12:41 AM
I’d move Suckling behind the football and bring Dickson if we think he is ready to go.

hujsh
11-03-2019, 02:05 AM
Both Duryea and Daniel were poor in defence today. Both were caught out badly at times through lack of height. Would prefer to see Richards return to defence where he plays his best football with Trengrove to assist Cordy with some extra height which was sadly lacking today. Naughton is a far better overhead mark than Schache who plays best as a leading forward. Both Naughton and Lloyd add value to a forward line that has struggled badly over the past two seasons. Daniel’s cleverness and good skills makes him a valuable player further afield. I doubt whether Duryea is in our best 22.

Daniel did well with the stations he found himself in. I think we need Naughton back which I guess means English/Trengove is the other forward.

Trengove is solid back but does lack mobility.

bornadog
11-03-2019, 02:33 AM
I’d move Suckling behind the football and bring Dickson if we think he is ready to go.

Suckling is being played out of position. I prefer him on HBF but not sure who moves up the ground? Perhaps replaces Daniel in my round one team.

Go_Dogs
11-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Morris, Trengove, Suckling
Williams, Cordy, Crozier
Macrae, Liberatore, Hunter
Lloyd, Schache, McLean
Richards, Naughton, Dickson
English, Bontempelli, Dunkley
Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski, Greene

SonofScray
11-03-2019, 08:44 AM
Found this very difficult.

B Wood Naughton crozier
HB Williams Cordy Daniel
C Suckling Libba Hunter
HF McLean Schache Lloyd
F Greene Dickson Wallis

FOLLOWERS English Macrae Bontempelli
BENCH Morris Trengove Richards Dunkley

Rocco Jones
11-03-2019, 10:42 AM
It was a struggle to pick the 22. So many guys I picked felt forced. Here goes...

Wood- A bit like having a go at Bambie here. He isn't taking intercept marks nor carrying the ball in his current role. I think he actually needs to be used in a taller role or he has to go. Perhaps it's a good excuse to play Naughton forward with Wood, Cordy and Morris down back. Would just be utterly massive to Wood be anything like his former self. Currently he is robbing us of rebound.

Trengove- I guess his role in the side shows how we are missing even an underachieving version of Tom Boyd. I feel he has to play to support English with the new rules making ruck work more important.

English- I think he is our best ruckman but is still raw. I think he just has to play.

Gowers- Awful in his first two JLT games but I think we need him with his strengths.

Williams- a bit lost with so many HBs. With Wood playing taller and Naughton forward, it would open a spot.

Duryea- I just have him in as he is a senior head. I'd prefer him to go forward actually.

Richards- I think he has really struggled in the two JLT games and truth be told looked very tired at times last year, we just had to get to 22. His explosive pace is a much needed asset. I just hope we go the long game here and keep on teaching him the value of earning a game. He obviously has a very bright future.

On the guys missing...

Dickson: Been on a modified program. He has the ability to kick a goal which is clearly a need. Just don't know if we can trust his body. Sports science call I guess.

Greene: Again a knack for kicking goals. I feel with him and Scache, we run risk of guys who can both do nothing in a game. Want to see him kick a few in VFL first but a spot in our side isn't too hard at the moment.

Smith: I actually really like what I have seen but needs to clean up kick when in traffic as we simply cannot play another guy with poor disposal.

lemmon
11-03-2019, 11:03 AM
The list clearly isn't balanced - our decision to add more half back flankers when we're clearly overstocked is making less and less sense. Especially when match committee are now trying to find places for these guys where they clearly aren't suited.

Think that forward line needs to have a more traditional look with Dickson and Greene in for round 1

bornadog
11-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Our problem is the mids not the forwards. I only managed to watch the last one and a half quarters. Even our best mid in Bont was slamming the ball on his foot and kicking it to no one. We must find targets.

Lloyd Dickson Greene should play and Gowers toVFL to find form

westbulldog
11-03-2019, 01:23 PM
So many out of form atm and I would suggest if Wood wasn't Captain his position would be in doubt. Imo Naughton and Suckling should play back. Anyone have any reports on Lynch and Sweet ?

GVGjr
11-03-2019, 01:26 PM
So many out of form atm and I would suggest if Wood wasn't Captain his position would be in doubt. Imo Naughton and Suckling should play back. Anyone have any reports on Lynch and Sweet ?

Based on what I have seen so far neither Lynch or Sweet look likely to come in at the moment.

boydogs
11-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Morris, Naughton, Suckling
Wood, Cordy, Crozier
Richards, Macrae, Hunter
Lloyd, Schache, McLean
Gowers, Bontempelli, Dickson
English, Liberatore, Dunkley
Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski, Williams

bornadog
11-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Wood, Cordy, Crozier
Richards, Macrae, Hunter
Lloyd, Schache, McLean
Wallis, Daniel, Lipinski, Williams

No Trengove?

Bumper Bulldogs
12-03-2019, 09:53 AM
No Trengove?

Based on the firm of JLT. You would have to say Tengrove in and Wood out.

MrMahatma
12-03-2019, 10:44 AM
Won’t happen, but:

Williams, Cordy, Crozier
Richards, Macrae, Hunter
Lloyd, Schache, McLean
Wallis, Daniel, Duryea, Smith

Would drop Gowers, but no one to replace. Our list is missing a couple of forward options at this stage of the season. Hopefully some come through during the year and stake a claim for a spot.

Hayes isn’t up to it and Wood is horribly out of form. Wood will play though.

The Pie Man
12-03-2019, 12:26 PM
I'm hoping we give Smith a chance to excite us against the Swans - we might need it.

Wood, Morris, Crozier
Williams, Cordy, Duryea
Smith, Macrae, Hunter
Lloyd, Schache, McLean
Dickson, Naughton, Wallis

Trengove, Liberatore, Bontempelli

Daniel, Richards, Dunkley, Suckling

I'd swap Richards and Daniel, thought Caleb struggled on Sunday (that has nothing to do with being caught on taller opponents)

Would consider Cavarra as we're crying out for some F50 speed/pressure, but it looks unlikely - Dickson surely has to come in. Can understand calls for Naughton to return to familiar territory....but he also might just be our best forward :o

Trengove to take 1st ruck with Schache a chop out. English not ready in my eyes.

Mofra
12-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Chris Grant, Brad Johnson, Bob Murphy, Bontempelli now Naughton?
He seems the latest in the "jeez I wish we had two of them" club so we can fix two parts of the ground.

bornadog
12-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Chris Grant, Brad Johnson, Bob Murphy, Bontempelli now Naughton?
He seems the latest in the "jeez I wish we had two of them" club so we can fix two parts of the ground.

It may depend on the opposition. Surely he takes on Buddy for the opening game, presuming he plays. I am pretty sure Reid will be playing and will need a match up (Cordy?)

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Would like to see the following side be our 1st Round line-up:
B. Richards Cordy Morris
HB Wood Trengrove Crozier
C. Hunter Maclean Macrae
HF. Lloyd Naughton Wallis
F. Greene Schache Dunkley
Int. Daniel Williams Lipinski Cavarra

Rocco Jones
12-03-2019, 07:58 PM
It may depend on the opposition. Surely he takes on Buddy for the opening game, presuming he plays. I am pretty sure Reid will be playing and will need a match up (Cordy?)

I am not sure he automatically takes the opposition's best forward if he plays back. His strength is his ability to take intercept marks and this is nullified when playing on the opposition's most dangerous forward.

boydogs
12-03-2019, 08:22 PM
No Trengove?

No Trengove, I'm not onboard with English or Trengove forward for 70% of the game. Schache or Cordy can pinch hit

Mofra
13-03-2019, 04:24 PM
I am not sure he automatically takes the opposition's best forward if he plays back. His strength is his ability to take intercept marks and this is nullified when playing on the opposition's most dangerous forward.
Last year Wood played well on Buddy for three quarters, until Buddy worked out he had 20cm and 20kgs on Wood.

lemmon
13-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Last year Wood played well on Buddy for three quarters, until Buddy worked out he had 20cm and 20kgs on Wood.

If he plays, I reckon Buddy spends a lot of time around that forward 50. His fitness base must be somewhat compromised, I think he'll spend a lot more time closer to goal early in the year.

Think we'll need a strong-body defender and not a running type.

bornadog
13-03-2019, 08:48 PM

please no. If he kicked straight he would have had 10

bornadog
14-03-2019, 09:45 PM
AFL.com.au attempt at round 1 team

B: Easton Wood, Dale Morris, Taylor Duryea
C: Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter
HF: Sam Lloyd, Aaron Naughton, Toby McLean
F: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Mitch Wallis
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae

I/C: Caleb Daniel, Jackson Trengove, Ed Richards, Matthew Suckling

EMERG: Bailey Smith, Will Hayes, Patrick Lipinski, Lachlan Young

NEW: Sam Lloyd (Richmond)

UNAVAILABLE: Tom Boyd (back), Ben Cavarra (quad), Bailey Dale (ankle), Jason Johannisen (ankle), Lin Jong (hamstring), Buku Khamis (knee), Liam Picken (concussion), Laithan Vandermeer (hamstring), Lukas Webb (neck).

NOTES: The final spot came down to Matt Suckling or Bailey Smith, but given the draftee has played less than 50 per cent game time in both JLT Series matches, it's hard to mount a case for him.

Aaron Naughton is a lock to play forward alongside Josh Schache, while Sam Lloyd wins a game after an impressive JLT2.

The ruck conundrum is a fascinating prospect for Luke Beveridge, but given the doubts at either end of the ground, Jackson Trengove plays as a second ruck and all-round 'Mr Fix It'.

While the defence appears undersized, Easton Wood and Bailey Williams have the ability to play taller. - Mitch Cleary

LostDoggy
14-03-2019, 11:39 PM

UNAVAILABLE: Tom Boyd (back), Ben Cavarra (quad), Bailey Dale (ankle), Jason Johannisen (ankle), Lin Jong (hamstring), Buku Khamis (knee), Liam Picken (concussion), Laithan Vandermeer (hamstring), Lukas Webb (neck).

NOTES: The final spot came down to Matt Suckling or Bailey Smith, but given the draftee has played less than 50 per cent game time in both JLT Series matches, it's hard to mount a case for him.

Aaron Naughton is a lock to play forward alongside Josh Schache, while Sam Lloyd wins a game after an impressive JLT2.

The ruck conundrum is a fascinating prospect for Luke Beveridge, but given the doubts at either end of the ground, Jackson Trengove plays as a second ruck and all-round 'Mr Fix It'.

While the defence appears undersized, Easton Wood and Bailey Williams have the ability to play taller. - Mitch Cleary

I can't disagree with this team. I thought Will Hayes should something but hard to fit him in.

Happy Days
15-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Not to say I agree with it, but the likelihood of no Bud makes it a bit easier to play Naughton up forward.

westbulldog
15-03-2019, 12:26 PM
I haven't seen anything to suggest the Duryea is a walk up start. Naughton goes to FB ffs and leave him there.

GVGjr
15-03-2019, 01:15 PM
I haven't seen anything to suggest the Duryea is a walk up start. Naughton goes to FB ffs and leave him there.

I suspect, we will have him in the 22 largely based on his ability to help organise the back line

The Pie Man
15-03-2019, 03:22 PM
I suspect, we will have him in the 22 largely based on his ability to help organise the back line

I've seen Duryea potted a bit on here - was neutral about his recruitment, but I thought he was pretty good against St Kilda.

Don't get the negativity so far. I'm a sucker for a good kick

The Pie Man
15-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Where's Lewis Young at?

Rocket Science
15-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Sooooo ... let's try that again shall we?

B: Easton Wood, Zaine Cordy, Taylor Duryea
HB: Hayden Crozier, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Williams
HF: Sam Lloyd, Josh Schache, Toby McLean
F: Fergus Greene, Billy Gowers, Mitch Wallis

*sigh*

Rocket Science
15-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Where's Lewis Young at?

https://i.ibb.co/N7jvbJy/Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-3-54-34-PM.png (https://ibb.co/V3S15zq)

bornadog
15-03-2019, 05:01 PM
https://i.ibb.co/N7jvbJy/Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-3-54-34-PM.png (https://ibb.co/V3S15zq)

Now is the time to step up

GVGjr
15-03-2019, 06:17 PM
I've seen Duryea potted a bit on here - was neutral about his recruitment, but I thought he was pretty good against St Kilda.

Don't get the negativity so far. I'm a sucker for a good kick

He will be okay for us. He was never going to be star but he's experienced and a good kick.

GVGjr
15-03-2019, 06:19 PM
Where's Lewis Young at?

Hopefully making some progress and being a viable option to help replace the unreplaceable Morris in some way.

Axe Man
15-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Where's Lewis Young at?

Reports on here from the VFL practice matches weren't glowing.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2019, 07:33 PM
I actually don't think we replace his spot with a tall defender. Naughton plays back, alongside Cordy and Wood. Wood really can't play D4, so this structurally makes it easier for him and his role I believe. The other spots dedicated to rebound. No point trying to be something we can't, might as well play what we have and get rebound.

hujsh
15-03-2019, 07:42 PM
I actually don't think we replace his spot with a tall defender. Naughton plays back, alongside Cordy and Wood. Wood really can't play D4, so this structurally makes it easier for him and his role I believe. The other spots dedicated to rebound. No point trying to be something we can't, might as well play what we have and get rebound.

I completely agree. One of the points I wanted to make with the Wood thread was that we were a bit light on for rebound with all 4 of Naughton Cordy Wood and Morris. I think this is probably a better balance even though we'll miss Morris's defensive efforts (all the more reason we need Wood to step up)

mjp
15-03-2019, 08:06 PM

It's funny how things work. Morris is a 'greater than the parts' type player but one thing he isn't is a run and carry type/dynamic ball user...and the questions being asked about whether he and Wood could play in the same back 6 were 100% legit (if in my opinion a bit over-stated due to my earlier comment about him being > sum of the parts).

Now he isn't there. So I suspect a running type will come in.
Now he isn't there. So I suspect Naughton will NEED to play back.

Like I said, sometimes things just work out the way they work out and coaches/match committees/etc really have zero input to any of it...

(You could say the Richmond small forward setup was 100% the outcome of a poor performing Ty Vickery and the failure of high draft pick Ben Lennon to come through...and NOTHING to do with Hardwick and co - 'cos they gave Vickery and Lennon 100000 chances....one premiership and another top of table season later, who gets the credit).

p.s. None of this is a knock on Morris who is basically my favourite player of all time and certainly my favourite of the past 25 years.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Update

B: Crozier, Naughton, Wood
HB: Williams, Cordy, Daniel
I/C: Suckling, Duryea, Richards, Lipsinki
Emerg: Smith, Hayes, Greene, Roberts

bornadog
16-03-2019, 12:55 AM
Update

I like your team Rocco, but I have my doubts on Billy. His preseason hasn't been brilliant. I would be tempted to play Dickson in his place.

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Update

Looks to be about right to me Rocco but it also highlights that we don't have a lot of depth at the moment with just a few injuries.

jeemak
16-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Looks to be about right to me Rocco but it also highlights that we don't have a lot of depth at the moment with just a few injuries.

Boyd, Picken, Morris and JJ would under normal circumstances be considered key first choice players for us, how many more injuries to test depth do you want?

Apart from the fundamental personnel or list balance issues we have with our forward line and possibly ruck (depending on what side of the argument you sit on), I think we actually look OK. It's the next wave of injuries that will worry me.

Here's my attempt:

C: Suckling, Macrae, Hunter
I/C: Dunkley, Duryea, Richards, Dickson

I've used Rocco's team as a starting point but have brought Dickson in for Lipinski, it's a risk given I don't know how his body will hold up, but I still think he's more likely to impact the scoreboard than most on our list.

Jacko goes into the centre, Dunkley to the bench and Suckling to a wing. I don't have a huge issue with how it was, aside from wanting to get some pace and penetration into a centre line that was lacking a bit of each. While Suckling hasn't played well thus far this year, I don't think he's at all suited to a forward role.

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Boyd, Picken, Morris and JJ would under normal circumstances be considered key first choice players for us, how many more injuries to test depth do you want?

Apart from the fundamental personnel or list balance issues we have with our forward line and possibly ruck (depending on what side of the argument you sit on), I think we actually look OK. It's the next wave of injuries that will worry me.

It's not a bad side by any stretch of the imagination and I probably should have said injuries and form.
Having Hayes and Roberts on the bench is probably the reality but it's still a touch concerning.
Hopefully we get JJ and Bailey Dale back soon from injuries and from a return to form perspective Dickson and Lewis Young will improve the depth of the side

jeemak
16-03-2019, 10:00 AM
It's not a bad side by any stretch of the imagination and I probably should have said injuries and form.
Having Hayes and Roberts on the bench is probably the reality but it's still a touch concerning.
Hopefully we get JJ and Bailey Dale back soon from injuries and from a return to form perspective Dickson and Lewis Young will improve the depth of the side

Rocco didn't quite have them on the bench, he had them listed as emergencies. I'm really interested to see how Dale goes this year, agree that he will improve our depth but I'm wondering if he can deliver a bit more for us as the year progresses.

Rocco Jones
16-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Hearing the reasoning for Dickson being included, however I am not sure he is worth the risk. He has had a limited pre-season and has broken down during games a bit. I don't see his upside being worth it. Hopefully he can get through another VFL game or two being a consistent contributer as we do need his point of difference.

bornadog
16-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Looks like Mclean is going to be used more as a small forward this year.

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 02:55 PM
Looks like Mclean is going to be used more as a small forward this year.

Based on the JLT? I'd like him to spend some more time forward but can we gauge much with the JLT?
For example, there was an article about how Williams trained with the midfielders but come JLT he has been used mainly as a defender

bornadog
16-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Based on the JLT? I'd like him to spend some more time forward but can we gauge much with the JLT?
For example, there was an article about how Williams trained with the midfielders but come JLT he has been used mainly as a defender

No based on the article I posted up here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18636-Off-the-leash-Dog-looking-a-little-angrier-set-to-attack-2019)

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 03:29 PM
No based on the article I posted up here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18636-Off-the-leash-Dog-looking-a-little-angrier-set-to-attack-2019)

Sorry, I thought you were expressing your view, still it's the same point with articles. An article says that Williams has had his best preseason and has been training with the midfielders, come JLT he's a defender.

jeemak
16-03-2019, 05:55 PM
Hearing the reasoning for Dickson being included, however I am not sure he is worth the risk. He has had a limited pre-season and has broken down during games a bit. I don't see his upside being worth it. Hopefully he can get through another VFL game or two being a consistent contributer as we do need his point of difference.

Your concerns are well founded, it's really hard to get a gauge on how he's going. If he's managed to get through two VFL games and an intra-club he could very well be ready to go.

He's still by a long way our smartest leading forward, perhaps he'd need to be played deep rather than up the ground where he's been played in recent times and more likely to fatigue.

boydogs
16-03-2019, 08:40 PM
Sorry, I thought you were expressing your view, still it's the same point with articles. An article says that Williams has had his best preseason and has been training with the midfielders, come JLT he's a defender.

Did the Williams article have quotes from Williams? The McLean article has quotes from McLean

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Did the Williams article have quotes from Williams? The McLean article has quotes from McLean

It sure did plus it was off the club website

Williams (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-21/midfield-focus-for-williams)

“This whole pre-season I’ve spent 100 per cent of my time in the midfield, learning off blokes like ‘Wall’, ‘Bont’, ‘Dunks’ and ‘Libba’,” Williams said.

The Underdog
16-03-2019, 08:56 PM
Update

Looks about right. Not sold on Duryea and Daniel playing similar roles in the same team and a lot of guys looked out of sorts in the JLT, but I guess next week will tell us more.

boydogs
16-03-2019, 09:38 PM
It sure did plus it was off the club website

Williams (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-21/midfield-focus-for-williams)

“This whole pre-season I’ve spent 100 per cent of my time in the midfield, learning off blokes like ‘Wall’, ‘Bont’, ‘Dunks’ and ‘Libba’,” Williams said.

Thanks, be interesting to see how this unfolds

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Thanks, be interesting to see how this unfolds

The JLT is obviously a last chance to experiment. Maybe with Morris out, Williams will have to play in the back line

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2019, 12:51 AM

Our four best in the premiership right there.

jeemak
17-03-2019, 01:10 AM
Our four best in the premiership right there.

Add in Dickson fully fit and ready to go, and we'd look a lot better on paper heading into round one.

Sure we've dropped the ball in a lot of ways, but not being able to get a settled team resembling our best on the park consistently over the last couple of years has really hurt us.

Wait for the media narrative next week claiming us to be virtually at full strength too. Happens all the time with us, but with Essendon and Collingwood one of their injured players seem to be worth 2-3 of every other teams.

Axe Man
19-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Naughton to stay forward (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-19/naughton-to-stay-forward?fbclid=IwAR3LR6Tvi2uaPbh9sHAAM2UmEV1WBNpw3DZ_SK0pcTm pLhhXlf9fWyU5s2Y)

The Western Bulldogs will persist with playing developing tall Aaron Naughton as a forward in Round 1, as they attempt to find a spike in scoring.

Naughton showed promising signs in the Dogs’ JLT Community Series match against St Kilda recently, kicking three goals and providing a strong target.

Despite a knee injury to experienced defender Dale Morris, senior coach Luke Beveridge will deploy the 19-year-old in attack against the Swans at Marvel Stadium.

“You’ve got to win games, you can’t save them from the start,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“We see Aaron (Naughton) at the moment as a promising key forward and he’s got all the attributes that tell us that there’s a big chance that he’s going to be a significantly influential player down there - we’d like to persist with that.”

Depending on the make-up of the opposition, and the state of each game, the Bulldogs will be able to use Naughton at either end of the ground.

“At the moment, we’d like Aaron to play forward and at different times you come up against some threatening key forwards who you have to cater for,” Beveridge said.

“But if it happens in a game that we’re going down a path where we’re struggling back there and we can move Aaron back, that’s always an option.

“There are always contingencies, but we’ve got to find a way to score and in the four years that I’ve coached, we haven’t been able to piece together any uniformity for various reasons.”

kruder
19-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Then why play him back in JLT1?

Axe Man
19-03-2019, 01:42 PM

Their forward plans didn't work as they would have liked in JLT1 so they tried something different in JLT2? That's what the pre-season comp is for after all.

I'm open to them trying it, horses for courses depending on the opposition and state of the game. Interesting to see if a) Roberts or Young will come in, or b) Trengove goes back, or c) we go with an undersized backline. I'm betting on c (not my preferred option).

1eyedog
19-03-2019, 01:47 PM

He needed the hit out and conditions were horrendous for a tall forward. Need to find the balance between developing confidence and having an impact and as a tall forward in that game he had Buckley's chance of doing either.

kruder
19-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Their forward plans didn't work as they would have liked in JLT1 so they tried something different in JLT2? That's what the pre-season comp is for after all.

I'm open to them trying it, horses for courses depending on the opposition and state of the game. Interesting to see if a) Roberts or Young will come in, or b) Trengove goes back, or c) we go with an undersized backline. I'm betting on c (not my preferred option).

One week back, one week forward one week back um how do you develop any chemistry? We have been doing this for few years now surely we have a crack at continuity?

Axe Man
19-03-2019, 02:15 PM
One week back, one week forward one week back um how do you develop any chemistry? We have been doing this for few years now surely we have a crack at continuity?

That's one argument. Another is that players should play where they will be most effective for the team. Certain opposition or situations will demand those positions change.

I don't know the answer, I just wish we had 2 of him.

Rocket Science
19-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Well that'll teach him for showing any sort of nouse up forward. We're now going to 'Chris Grant' him at the ripe old age of 19.

Not much of an expression of confidence in the other forwards on the list though at least we know the coaches share everyone else's concerns about where the hell our goals are going to come from.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Naughton to stay forward (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-19/naughton-to-stay-forward)

The Western Bulldogs will persist with playing developing tall Aaron Naughton as a forward in Round 1, as they attempt to find a spike in scoring.

Naughton showed promising signs in the Dogs’ JLT Community Series match against St Kilda recently, kicking three goals and providing a strong target.

Despite a knee injury to experienced defender Dale Morris, senior coach Luke Beveridge will deploy the 19-year-old in attack against the Swans at Marvel Stadium.

“You’ve got to win games, you can’t save them from the start,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast.

“We see Aaron (Naughton) at the moment as a promising key forward and he’s got all the attributes that tell us that there’s a big chance that he’s going to be a significantly influential player down there - we’d like to persist with that.”

Depending on the make-up of the opposition, and the state of each game, the Bulldogs will be able to use Naughton at either end of the ground.

“At the moment, we’d like Aaron to play forward and at different times you come up against some threatening key forwards who you have to cater for,” Beveridge said.

“But if it happens in a game that we’re going down a path where we’re struggling back there and we can move Aaron back, that’s always an option.

“There are always contingencies, but we’ve got to find a way to score and in the four years that I’ve coached, we haven’t been able to piece together any uniformity for various reasons.”

G-Mo77
19-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Well that'll teach him for showing any sort of nouse up forward. We're now going to 'Chris Grant' him at the ripe old age of 19.

Not much of an expression of confidence in the other forwards on the list though at least we know the coaches share everyone else's concerns about where the hell our goals are going to come from.

We also have to stop goals. Losing Morris and essentially losing Naughton to the forward line our defence will be very light on. Don't like moving Naughton forward, at his age I'd rather he learn his craft in his natural position rather than pinch hit him forward. I should have expected this though, our coach doesn't want to play anyone to their strengths since 2016.

Rocket Science
19-03-2019, 06:19 PM
We also have to stop goals. Losing Morris and essentially losing Naughton to the forward line our defence will be very light on. Don't like moving Naughton forward, at his age I'd rather he learn his craft in his natural position rather than pinch hit him forward. I should have expected this though, our coach doesn't want to play anyone to their strengths since 2016.

Nahhh, it'll be fine.

We have Trengove who can go back ... provided nine-gamer English can stay intact in the meat grinder as our #1 ruck.

Or there's Roberts ... who has two arms and two legs.

Or there's Lewy Young ... who was last spotted flying over the Bermuda triangle.

Or there's Cordy ... as long as he doesn't have to stand any gorillas.

Or there's the likes of Wood, Crozier and Duryea who'll need weekly counselling after regularly standing blokes a foot taller than them.

Or there's last-line-of-defence-specialist Caleb Daniel.

See? Nothing to worry about.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 06:19 PM
With Morris out, Naughton to forward, Mclean to play forward then here is another go:

B. Suckling Cordy Duryea
C. Hunter Macrae Richards
HF. Lloyd Schache Maclean
F. Wallis Naughton Dunkley

Int. Daniel, Williams, Dickson, Gowers

Axe Man
19-03-2019, 06:27 PM
With Morris out, Naughton to forward, Mclean to play forward then here is another go:

B. Suckling Cordy Duryea
R. English Bontempelli Macrae

Int. Daniel Williams Liberatore Gowers

Macrae is good but is he play in 2 positions at once good?

bornadog
19-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Whoops, thanks for the pickup. Amended.

mjp
19-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Sometimes it seems there are two of him out there!

Axe Man
19-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Smith to debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-19/smith-to-debut)

Bailey Smith will make his AFL debut when the Western Bulldogs open their 2019 AFL campaign against the Sydney Swans.

Senior coach Luke Beveridge announced the news at a team meeting prior to training on Tuesday afternoon.

The highly-rated teenager joined the Bulldogs with pick seven in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

After an interrupted pre-season, Smith featured in both JLT Community Series, playing a half of football in each game and collecting nine touches against Gold Coast and 12 against St Kilda.

On Saturday night, the 18-year-old will fulfil a lifelong dream.

“I’m still on cloud nine, I’ve got no words really,” Smith told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“It got announced in the meeting, I didn’t have a clue – I was just shocked. As I said in the meeting, without everyone at the Club, I wouldn’t be where I am today and I’m so grateful.

“To run out in the red, white and blue, with so much history that the Club has is just an honour and something I don’t take lightly.

“I’ll do my best to do the jumper proud.”

AshMac
19-03-2019, 07:23 PM

It’d be nice

GVGjr
19-03-2019, 07:30 PM
A more than pleasant surprise for the fans given Smiths interrupted pre-season.

I wonder if there might be another surprise on Thursday night

jeemak
19-03-2019, 09:28 PM
With the fantastic news Smith is going to make his debut and the news Naughton will play forward, I have updated my team:

B: Crozier, Trengove, Wood
C: Suckling, Macrae, Hunter
F: Wallis, Naughton, Gowers
I/C: Dunkley, Duryea, Smith, Dickson

Unfortunately Richards misses out due to a bit of a disappointing JLT series.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 11:15 PM

B. Suckling Cordy Duryea

Int. Daniel, Williams, Dickson, Smith

Updated with Smith in Gowers out

MrMahatma
20-03-2019, 09:02 AM
Updated with Smith in Gowers out

If with rotations, we have Dickson in the forward line rather than Dunkley, it starts to shape up as a good mix of front 6, and one that might get us to 100 points... provided Schache and Norton kick straight.

Mofra
20-03-2019, 10:04 AM
It would be a brave call to play Trengove as a backman when he doesn't seem to have spend a minute there during the preseason (even early, the boys on instragram joked about his shin pads so he started the pre-season as a ruck too).

We're likely to play short in the backline which means we might be erring on the side of a shootout which would not be in our favour as our forwardline is still a work in progress.

bornadog
20-03-2019, 10:19 AM
It would be a brave call to play Trengove as a backman when he doesn't seem to have spend a minute there during the preseason (even early, the boys on instragram joked about his shin pads so he started the pre-season as a ruck too).

We're likely to play short in the backline which means we might be erring on the side of a shootout which would not be in our favour as our forwardline is still a work in progress.

You are right about Trengove, I doubt he will play FB, but that is where us posters have put him. Bevo on SEN did mention we could go short in the backline or we could even consider Roberts and Young.

Mofra
20-03-2019, 10:48 AM
You are right about Trengove, I doubt he will play FB, but that is where us posters have put him. Bevo on SEN did mention we could go short in the backline or we could even consider Roberts and Young.
I still see Young as a work in progress - he can play an intercept role but not a KPD role, and we already have Wood & Crozier playing intercept.
I don't mind Roberts but Reid is athletic and Buddy is... Buddy. We might just be forced to roll the dice anyway on a shorter backhalf.

Bulldog Revolution
20-03-2019, 11:17 AM
A more than pleasant surprise for the fans given Smiths interrupted pre-season.

I wonder if there might be another surprise on Thursday night

I presume you are thinking that Will Hayes might be the other?

Its worth giving him a go, smart footballer, neat kick, good tank

Mofra
20-03-2019, 11:45 AM
I presume you are thinking that Will Hayes might be the other?

Its worth giving him a go, smart footballer, neat kick, good tank
That now becomes another consideration - Smith in his first season after an interrupted pre-season surely means line ball decisions on other players makes their running capacity an even more important consideration.

mjp
20-03-2019, 11:48 AM
...or we could even consider Roberts and Young.

Hasn't he had an interesting career? Was his last AFL game the 2016 grand final?

It is interesting when you think about our structure that day. Hamling and Roberts effectively played 'twin post' roles down back with Wood and Morris also down there...so for all our concern about lack of run and carry from defence, look at the foundation of the group that won us the flag?

I understand the move of Cordy to the d50 - he is not a natural forward - but we have been very quick to throw away Roberts who was always a limited but quietly effective player...IF he does play this week, it would almost be as a replacement for Morris and would (to me at least) make some sense in terms of the structure of the side.

Would that leave us with a back seven of:

Wood, Crozier, Cordy, Duryea, Suckling, Daniel and ROBERTS?

If so, how does that look across the other lines? The forward seven would be:

Naughton, Schache, Lloyd, MacLean, Wallis and...

And the on-ball group (eight) would be:

English, Bont, Hunter, Macrae, Liber, Dunkley (holy hell, that is first class), Richards, Williams and Smith?

I'm still two short...I guess that ONE needs to be Trengove (though I think we just got very big and slow) and I would like to think Dickson is the other??

Bulldog Revolution
20-03-2019, 12:00 PM
Hasn't he had an interesting career? Was his last AFL game the 2016 grand final?

Fletch has played 12 games since the Grand Final but only 2 in 2018

Im also not opposed to putting him in the team - it makes more sense than Trengrove to me

We just have to get Roberts confident to play his role. He has to believe he can contribute. When hes confident and plays his part he is effective - good hands, good kick, good decision maker etc

I suspect Dickson is on the outside of the R1 team

Mofra
20-03-2019, 12:06 PM

English, Bont, Hunter, Macrae, Liber, Dunkley (holy hell, that is first class), Richards, Williams and Smith?

I'm still two short...I guess that ONE needs to be Trengove (though I think we just got very big and slow) and I would like to think Dickson is the other??
The other would have to be a runner, surely - Hayes? We would want someone who can cover ground as I assume Smith will be gassed towards the end of the game given he's played two halves of JLT only and an interrupted pre-season. Also means Wallis will spend more time in the mid rotation instead of specialist forward.

I like Dickson and am mystified why he didn't feature in either JLT game but with McLean and Wallis forward and Lloyd's inclusion I'm not certain he gets picked.

hujsh
20-03-2019, 12:06 PM

It is interesting when you think about our structure that day. Hamling and Roberts effectively played 'twin post' roles down back with Wood and Morris also down there...so for all our concern about lack of run and carry from defence, look at the foundation of the group that won us the flag?

I understand the move of Cordy to the d50 - he is not a natural forward - but we have been very quick to throw away Roberts who was always a limited but quietly effective player...IF he does play this week, it would almost be as a replacement for Morris and would (to me at least) make some sense in terms of the structure of the side.

I personally don't mind Roberts as a distributor. Not as limited as Naughton or Morris with his long leg.

Mofra
20-03-2019, 12:12 PM
I personally don't mind Roberts as a distributor. Not as limited as Naughton or Morris with his long leg.
He has shown to be an effective ball user for a long time now, has won games with long late goals in the VFL (Richmond) and just prior to being picked up by us as a PSD pick.

Axe Man
20-03-2019, 12:18 PM

You've named 21 players with Roberts (there's 9 in the midfield 8), so you are only 1 short and therefore only 1 of Trengove or Dickson would make it in that scenario. Are you predicting Gowers to miss as well?

The Pie Man
20-03-2019, 01:01 PM
Would prefer Lewis Young to Roberts if we need to play a defender not exposed in the JLT - will always admire Fletcher for the 2016 prelim effort and serviceable GF with Tippett being largely ineffectual, but he gets exposed for pace and one on one strength in the back half on most forwards.

Solid mark and kick, but I doubt he could make it as a forward either given said deficiencies.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-03-2019, 01:05 PM
He has shown to be an effective ball user for a long time now, has won games with long late goals in the VFL (Richmond) and just prior to being picked up by us as a PSD pick.
Similar to Roughead and Campbell, Roberts has been under utilised since our 2016 Finals campaign. As shown in the VFL with Footscray has proven to have the versatility to go forward which we have lacked for a long time.

Axe Man
20-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Fletcher Roberts, Lewis Young in mix to replace Dale Morris in Western Bulldogs side
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/fletcher-roberts-lewis-young-in-mix-to-replace-dale-morris-in-western-bulldogs-side/news-story/d2688107b28be0b96f65e9acf0fcc99b)
Forgotten Western Bulldogs defender Fletcher Roberts is in the mix to be thrown an AFL lifeline in the wake of Dale Morris’ latest injury blow.

The out-of-favour Roberts has played just 12 AFL matches since the 2016 Premiership including two last year but shapes as a possible solution to the Bulldogs’ key-position dilemmas.

Morris went down at training last Friday and is unlikely to be available until at least the second half of the season after suffering a high-grade injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

With coach Luke Beveridge keen to continue playing fellow key defender Aaron Naughton in attack after a three-goal pre-season game against St Kilda, the Bulldogs’ backline looks set to be down missing two key defenders from where it finished last year.

Roberts placed second in Footscray’s best-and-fairest count in the VFL last season, averaging 12.7 disposals, 4.1 marks and 4.9 spoils.

Fellow Bulldogs defender Matt Suckling said he wouldn’t be surprised to see the 196cm big man given a chance to fill Morris’ sizeable shoes.

“He’s got to be in the conversation,” Suckling said.

“Every week, you know what you’re going to get from him. He’s a premiership player and the last year or so he hasn’t played as many games as he would have liked but his form and attitude in the VFL has been first-rate.”

Lewis Young, who has played just nine AFL games, is the other recognised key defender in the wings at the Bulldogs and also impressed at VFL level last year, averaging 16.9 disposals, 7.1 marks and 7.2 spoils.

The Bulldogs’ other option is to play small with only Jackson Trengove and Zaine Cordy as key defenders and Trengove also acting as a back-up ruckman to Tim English, as he did in both of the club’s pre-season matches.

“Tim English could take the No. 1 ruck rule and swing Jackson back,” Suckling said.

“He’s played a lot of footy down back and could fit in quite easily.”

Roberts and Young did not feature in the Bulldogs’ two JLT Community Series matches.

Grantysghost
21-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Trengove out I'm hearing. That would be interesting.

Edit - confirmed.

G-Mo77
21-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Trengove out I'm hearing. That would be interesting.

He is.