PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Best First Year Player

azabob
27-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Come Best & Fairest night which player will be awarded Best First Year Player (who made their AFL debut in 2018)?

The top three appear to be:

Billy Gowers who is our leading goal kicker and continued to improve week in week out whether he played forward, midfield or across half back.

Aaron Naughton who held down a key defensive spot all year and even snuck forward and looked a genuine option.

Ed Richards who made his debut in round 2 and immediately looked at home providing genuine run and dash out of defense. Who could forget his goal kicking purple patch against Port Adelaide? Richards also looked equally at home as a wingman.

Other nominees Brad Lynch, Fergus Greene

EasternWest
27-08-2018, 12:23 PM
Richards, Gowers, Naughton.

I think Richards showed more consistent ability and impact and looks ready made.

Gowers is a big beastly guy that still has a bit too much rawness about him and wasn't as consistent as Richards.

Naughton I actually think will be the best of them - he just looks terrific - but he needs to develop physically more than the other two.

I think in an up and down but largely pretty ordinary year, we should be really happy with what we got out of these three.

Bulldog Joe
27-08-2018, 12:26 PM
Clearly Naughton for mine.

Holding down a key defensive post is infinitely more difficult and he handled it with aplomb.

Fantastic effort by Gowers to be the leading goal kicker, while Richards was also fantastic.

They have all earnt a position in the best 22 going forward.

Mofra
27-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Any of three would deserve it.

I'd actually lean towards Gowers but what Naughton has done is incredible.

GVGjr
27-08-2018, 01:25 PM
Embarrassment of riches.
For me it's Naughton, Gowers and then Richards but even then Ed might win it easily.

To be honest, I couldn't find fault with any of them winning it.

bornadog
27-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Pretty tough one, but I am going with Ed. His dash off the backline was just what we wanted, then he went forwrad and kicked some goals. However, they are all worthy of winning

bulldogtragic
27-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Flip a three sided coin.

Naughton may be the best. He was out with injury, maybe lesser exposure holds him from winning. No rising star nomination though.
Gowers will win the award for leading the goal kicking. No rising star nomination. But clearly our best forward.
Richards has been talked about for a large portion of the year as a rising star winner. A 3 goal quarter against Adelaide and then that game against Geelong where he played like a 200 gun player. So maybe Richards, but only just.

Ozza
27-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Can't recall a year where we have had 3 first year players play so many games and perform so well/so evenly.

I'd lean towards Ed - but happy for Naughton to win also. Serious futures those two.
Billy gets his prize for the goal kicking.

lemmon
27-08-2018, 03:41 PM
I'd go with Gowers. Think he was the more consistent contributor over the course of the year.

In saying that, Naughton and Richards have the bigger ceilings and will be stars.

bornadog
27-08-2018, 03:46 PM
We mustn't forget, Lipinski was virtually a first year player, having played only one game last year. I thought he did pretty well over the year, but was in need of a rest towards the end of the year.

azabob
27-08-2018, 03:51 PM
We mustn't forget, Lipinski was virtually a first year player, having played only one game last year. I thought he did pretty well over the year, but was in need of a rest towards the end of the year.

I thought that and also Tim English.

Grantysghost
27-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Gowers for mine he really presented in a very tough position especially with some of the forward fifty entries. He also shows a level of aggression that we need being so young. Richards then Naughton for me; all exceptional talents its splitting hairs.

GVGjr
27-08-2018, 04:09 PM
I suppose the question is would anyone object to any one of those 3 winning it? I doubt it but I'd be interested to hear any reason why

Mofra
27-08-2018, 04:31 PM
I suppose the question is would anyone object to any one of those 3 winning it? I doubt it but I'd be interested to hear any reason why
Eddie McGuire probably doesn't want Ed Richards to win it.

Ozza
27-08-2018, 04:38 PM

Yeah I agree. Lipinski would have the odd down game where he couldn't get involved, but that can happen with young forwards. But he is clean and covers a lot of ground during games, and the odd mid-20s possession game gave me faith that he can be effective in that high half forward role. A work in progress given his light frame, but plenty to work with.

A bulldogs supporter at the game on Saturday said to me "Lipinski, he's just never going to make it" and I completely disagree with that.

ledge
27-08-2018, 05:36 PM
Naughton by a mile , Gowers is older and had two years in the system before coming to us. Aaron has come straight in and held down a pretty major role.
Richards has been good but not in the same way as Naughton.

jeemak
27-08-2018, 06:09 PM
I think Gowers probably deserves it if eligible, narrowly ahead of Naughton with Richards third in line.

ratsmac
27-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Naughton for me. Playing on the big forwards and never looked out of place. He's going to be the best defender in the comp one day.

Gowers winning our goal kicking is a fair effort as well. He was a shining light at times during some dark times this year in our forward line.

Ed Richards is a ripper and I reckon he showed JJ how to run and carry again. His first instinct is to take off and he is always thinking. He has a good footy brain but is still got a bit to learn.

Lipinski is worth a mention for sure. He looks a bit light at times for the position he was playing which probably held him back a bit. He played some great games this year playing a link up roll.

But yeah it's Naughton for me.

Eastdog
27-08-2018, 08:01 PM
The all youngsters have impressed me this year. I'll go Aaron Naughton. Was a really good game down back on Saturday from him and been great there in his first year with us.

Billy Gowers, Ed Richards and Pat Lipinski even though his 2nd year virtually first full one have all been good.

We have a really good future and it would not surprise me if we rose up the ladder back into the finals quite quickly. We need Bont at his best again going 100%.

Dry Rot
27-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Naughton for me. Playing on the big forwards and never looked out of place. He's going to be the best defender in the comp one day.

Gowers winning our goal kicking is a fair effort as well. He was a shining light at times during some dark times this year in our forward line.

Ed Richards is a ripper and I reckon he showed JJ how to run and carry again. His first instinct is to take off and he is always thinking. He has a good footy brain but is still got a bit to learn.

Lipinski is worth a mention for sure. He looks a bit light at times for the position he was playing which probably held him back a bit. He played some great games this year playing a link up roll.

But yeah it's Naughton for me.

Yep, agree with this reasoning, but there's really only a cigarette paper between the three.

Dry Rot
27-08-2018, 09:31 PM

Good question, but I can't see a good reason to object to any of these three.

There's a good argument for each to win it, and no good reason for each not to win it.

LostDoggy
27-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Naughton.

boydogs
27-08-2018, 10:44 PM

I don't rate Naughton as much as others do. Certainly been amazing for a first year KPD, but I'm seeing limitations that physical development isn't going to fix. He looks amazing attacking the ball in the air but loses his man on a lead and is loose with his kicking. It's harsh but he cost us the game on Saturday getting outmarked in the last quarter and turning it over when he was chasing the ball towards the boundary

Gowers for the award if it's purely best first year player, Richards if consideration is given to age

Ozza
28-08-2018, 12:10 AM
I don't rate Naughton as much as others do. Certainly been amazing for a first year KPD, but I'm seeing limitations that physical development isn't going to fix. He looks amazing attacking the ball in the air but loses his man on a lead and is loose with his kicking. It's harsh but he cost us the game on Saturday getting outmarked in the last quarter and turning it over when he was chasing the ball towards the boundary

Gowers for the award if it's purely best first year player, Richards if consideration is given to age

Think your assessment is pretty harsh.

Naughton was playing on the best forward in the competition with the best forward craft/leading patterns, who was Richmond’s target on nearly every inside 50 in the last quarter. The way the ball came in to Riewoldt on the lead at times, it wouldn’t have mattered who was on him. And Riewoldt managed to take some pack marks (Naughton did too).

Naughton is the best tall out of last years draft and will be one of the best tall defenders in the league. His reading of the play and competitiveness will see to that.

Webby
28-08-2018, 07:23 AM
It's fantastic that this is such a debatable question between three players.

Then throw in Lipinski, Greene and Lynch, along with the solid contributions of Trengove and Crozier, and we've made some really solid additions to our squad in 2018. Schache shows promise. He's demonstrated an ability to catch the footy and to kick straight, as well as a willingness to compete hard for the footy. The potential is clearly there.

The development of Williams has also been clear and English shows signs of being a gun ruckman.

Bailey Dale and Libba coming back into that midfield will help all of these young and/or first year players.

Whilst the rest of the comp will dismiss us as one year wonders & flukes for 2016, I'm actually quite chuffed that we've seemingly calmly reset ourselves for another flag push in the years ahead.

It's a sign of maturity and self belief that the club has hopefully gained from the 2016 success.

whythelongface
28-08-2018, 09:54 AM
As others have stated not much in it between Gowers, Naughton and Richards. In fact i can't split them as each has brought so much to the team already. Richards with his pace and kicking; Naughton with his overhead marking and Gowers as a medium to tall marking option up forward and leading our goal kicking.

How have we fared in terms of the 2017 National Draft? At this stage we would have to be right up there with two of the outstanding recruits - Naughton and Richards. The only other player that springs to mind, that has been very good, is Stephenson from Collingwood, however in saying that I haven't actively followed the form of the other draftees.

Greystache
28-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Gowers for me.

Acknowledging Naughton's had some big jobs (although who'd want to play in our forwardline) but on output I think Gowers wins it. Richards on the next rung down but all 3 have had excellent debut season's.

boydogs
28-08-2018, 11:30 PM
Naughton is the best tall out of last years draft and will be one of the best tall defenders in the league. His reading of the play and competitiveness will see to that.

I can see him being a Brian Lake or Marcus Adams type - great reader of the play and intercept mark, but not necessarily the best one or one defender and prone to error by foot

bornadog
28-08-2018, 11:56 PM
I can see him being a Brian Lake or Marcus Adams type - great reader of the play and intercept mark, but not necessarily the best one or one defender and prone to error by foot

Lake and Adams haven't a clue on how to play one on one.

Naughton has alot of upside being an 18 year old kid, so we will see in the next few years.

AshMac
29-08-2018, 09:21 AM
I’d go Naughton based on his form since returning from injury. Richards has started and faded away in games but has also really impressed and done some incredible acts. He clearly has all the attributes of a superstar - absolutely love it when he tucks the ball under his arm and turns on the jets. Gowers does brilliant things whenever he nears it and is an exciting player but can also go missing, loved his year and he’ll get better as he gets more consistent.

probably a hairline that separates the 3 of them on future potential, but Naughton for me based on the fact he has stepped into a role we desperately needed, has matched up on A-Grade players year round and not looked intimidated or out of his depth and because I absolutely love seeing dogs players take contested marks!!

AshMac
29-08-2018, 09:22 AM

Naughton has alot of upside being an 18 year old kid, so we will see in the next few years.

Agree he seems to have the lockdown contested mark piece and the free roaming intercept piece as well. Also his kicking has improved a lot over the year.

Topdog
29-08-2018, 11:20 AM
Geez we can be very harsh about the foot skills and labelling a guy error prone as an 18yo.

boydogs
29-08-2018, 09:13 PM
Geez we can be very harsh about the foot skills and labelling a guy error prone as an 18yo.

There's fierce competition for our best first year player this year, we have to be harsh to split them. He turned it over switching play against Carlton for an easy goal and had 3 kicked on him in the last quarter against Richmond, whilst Gowers kicked 3 goals in our last game which is fresh in my mind

AshMac
31-08-2018, 09:52 AM
There's fierce competition for our best first year player this year, we have to be harsh to split them. He turned it over switching play against Carlton for an easy goal and had 3 kicked on him in the last quarter against Richmond, whilst Gowers kicked 3 goals in our last game which is fresh in my mind

Such a tough choice really is a good problem to have isn’t it

Mantis
31-08-2018, 09:56 AM

That's a ridiculous comment.

Adams struggles on bigger players (like Dixon), but holds his own against similar sized players. Lake was an extremely good on one defender in his prime.

bornadog
31-08-2018, 10:02 AM

Adams struggles on bigger players (like Dixon), but holds his own against similar sized players. Lake was an extremely good on one defender in his prime.

Adams struggled on smaller players this year - I recall several games where he was out maneuvered. Adams is a great judge of the ball in the air, which is his biggest asset.

Greystache
31-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Agree. Lake was one of the very few players in the past couple of decades who could intercept mark as well as play defensively against a quality opponent. Some of his performances against Franklin for example made Buddy look 3rd rate.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-08-2018, 10:55 AM
Agree. Lake was one of the very few players in the past couple of decades who could intercept mark as well as play defensively against a quality opponent. Some of his performances against Franklin for example made Buddy look 3rd rate.

Yep - we forget how bloody good Lake was in his prime.

I thought he was the best defender I had seen, better than Scarlett and Rance.

Greystache
31-08-2018, 11:00 AM
Yep - we forget how bloody good Lake was in his prime.

I thought he was the best defender I had seen, better than Scarlett and Rance.

His best was better than both, perhaps his peak wasn't as long. He's the best defender I've seen play for the Bulldogs.

comrade
31-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Have to agree that Lake's peak was better than any other key defender I've seen. On his day, he made A grade forwards look stupid. On the flip side, when it wasn't his day, he looked pretty silly himself.

We were lucky to watch him at his best.

Happy Days
02-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Lake had the best game I've ever seen a defender have on Jack Anthony from Collingwood - literally didn't let him get a kick (9 handballs) and was best on ground himself. The game was so good I think it ruined Anthony's career.

Bulldog Joe
02-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Lake had the best game I've ever seen a defender have on Jack Anthony from Collingwood - literally didn't let him get a kick (9 handballs) and was best on ground himself. The game was so good I think it ruined Anthony's career.

I agree wholeheartedley.

The next year when we played Collingwood, they had an emerging forward in Chris Dawes.

Malthouse made a late change with Dawes missing the game. I was convinced at the time that Mick just wanted to keep his emerging forward away from the confidence destroying match up with Lake.

comrade
02-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Remember that game we destroyed Hawthorn and were 10+ goals up at half time. He made Buddy his b**** that night.

Sedat
03-09-2018, 12:58 AM
Lake used to make Tom Hawkins look like a complete gumby in the first 2-3 years of his career. I actually felt sorry for Hawkins in some of those matches.

westdog54
08-09-2018, 01:50 PM
Remember that game we destroyed Hawthorn and were 10+ goals up at half time. He made Buddy his b**** that night.

I just looked it up, it broke a run of 72 straight games of Busy kicking goals.

That was a fun night at the footy.

comrade
10-09-2018, 04:06 PM
I just looked it up, it broke a run of 72 straight games of Busy kicking goals.

That was a fun night at the footy.

One of the few games I've taken my other half with me. I kept assuring her that this was not normal :D

S Coast Simon
13-09-2018, 10:29 PM
I’m going with Naughton. I loved what all our new boys did this year. Naughton gets I though as you have to give account for who they played on this year. Naughton’s position has him matched up on some of the best forwards in the game. Everyone lauds Rance as the best backman in the league and Naughton played on the same guys that Rance plays on.

on a side note it’s a bit silly blaming one or two plays in a game on someone loosing us the game. There are a 50 plays a game that are the same but didn’t cost the game. It’s just bad timing if you do it at the end of a game. Why not lynch then as he missed a goal that would of won the game but because he missed he now cost us the game. If the game is that close then it’s a hell of a lot of factors that went into the result.

I am am loving the end of season discussion that is going on and am very much looking forward to next year. (Minus the new rule changes). We have a lot of young talent running around. If only we could get a decent run with the injuries next year

boydogs
15-09-2018, 04:47 PM
on a side note it’s a bit silly blaming one or two plays in a game on someone loosing us the game. There are a 50 plays a game that are the same but didn’t cost the game. It’s just bad timing if you do it at the end of a game. Why not lynch then as he missed a goal that would of won the game but because he missed he now cost us the game. If the game is that close then it’s a hell of a lot of factors that went into the result

Lynch kicked from 45m out on the boundary line and hit the post. Naughton overran the ball running towards the boundary line, and conceded two other goals as well in the last quarter

Splitting hairs with Naughton, Gowers & Richards though. If it sounds harsh it's because you have to go to that level to separate them

S Coast Simon
15-09-2018, 07:36 PM
It is a beautiful problem to have not being able to separate three players as best first year player. Wouldn’t think to many other teams have three in the mix for this honour.