PDA

View Full Version : 2018 All Australian Squad.

EasternWest
27-08-2018, 12:26 PM
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-27/revealed-the-all-australian-squad-for-2018

Unsurprisingly, Jack Macrae the only Bulldog listed. Would be a travesty if he missed out.

I still have him as a Brownlow smoky, missed weeks and all. Just an out and out A grader.

Twodogs
27-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Alex Rance. FMD.

Obviously they go by name and not exposed form.

bornadog
27-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Alex Rance. FMD.

I think I am on my own, but I don't rate Rance as highly as others. He is in the Silvani mold, scraggs, wrestles, dives and gets away with it.

azabob
27-08-2018, 02:25 PM
I’m surprised Stratton didn’t make the cut.

bornadog
27-08-2018, 02:38 PM

AA team is a bit like the rising star - picked by a bunch of boys who have favourites.

Testekill
27-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Alex Rance. FMD.

Cotchin too

Grantysghost
27-08-2018, 02:44 PM
I think I am on my own, but I don't rate Rance as highly as others. He is in the Silvani mold, scraggs, wrestles, dives and gets away with it.

You're not on your own .

The Underdog
27-08-2018, 03:07 PM

He’s had the season Rance is meant to have. He should be in the 22. How he’s not in the squad is astounding.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Really hope Jacko makes it. He's got the form, got a bit of attention pre injury and his numbers stack up favourably.

Eastdog
27-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Well deserved for Jack Macrae. Hopefully he makes it. Would be favourite for our B&F with Toby McLean, Lachie Hunter not too far behind and will poll well in the Brownlow.

ratsmac
27-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Blicavs - did I miss something?

I'm rapt duckwood missed though. I wish I could've seen his face as he realised he wasn't named.

Eastdog
27-08-2018, 08:11 PM
AA team is a bit like the rising star - picked by a bunch of boys who have favourites.

Brownlow as well. The umps favourites not necessarily statistically the best player.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Blicavs was a surprise inclusion, so was Shane Edwards.

Thought Coniglio would've made the squad, too.

Happy Days
27-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Blicavs - did I miss something?

I'm rapt duckwood missed though. I wish I could've seen his face as he realised he wasn't named.

He's got this year's "was anointed in about round 12 as an AA candidate so better include him to not make the experts look stupid" spot.

Usually it goes to a backup ruckman but there's two good ones this year so lucky Mark I guess.

Greystache
28-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Really hope Jacko makes it. He's got the form, got a bit of attention pre injury and his numbers stack up favourably.

What's interesting is Jack's had more 30+ possession games this season than "ball magnet" Tom Mitchell despite playing 3 less games.

azabob
28-08-2018, 01:32 PM
What's interesting is Jack's had more 30+ possession games this season than "ball magnet" Tom Mitchell despite playing 3 less games.

Seriously? I never would’ve guessed.

jeemak
28-08-2018, 01:37 PM
It would be great if Jacko made the final cut, unfortunately it's likely he won't. He just doesn't generate the hype others do, even though his numbers and influence on games is outstanding.

Happy Days
28-08-2018, 02:31 PM
It would be great if Jacko made the final cut, unfortunately it's likely he won't. He just doesn't generate the hype others do, even though his numbers and influence on games is outstanding.

I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't; he's in most media teams and his statistics, being the foremost criteria because the selectors don't actually watch the games, are outstanding.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2018, 08:19 PM

He's only dipped below 30 three times and one of them was when he got injured. His consistency has been immense - he's a better user of the ball than Mitchell too.

craigsahibee
29-08-2018, 03:13 PM
AFLCA votes had Macrae placed in the Top 7 (equal 5th I think).

But what would the Coaches know? The media types are the real experts.

jeemak
29-08-2018, 03:28 PM
AFLCA votes had Macrae placed in the Top 7 (equal 5th I think).

But what would the Coaches know? The media types are the real experts.

They'll use the excuse that Jack wasn't as influential because of where we were on the ladder, but they'll avoid doing so when selecting Cripps because he has racked up the most contested possessions in the league.

Axe Man
29-08-2018, 10:36 PM
No Macrae :mad:

angelopetraglia
29-08-2018, 10:41 PM
How? Unbelievable!!!!!!

whythelongface
29-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Nailed it. Under rated compared to the so called ‘big guns’.

Grantysghost
29-08-2018, 10:46 PM
Higgins on the bench, Jacks stats absolutely eclipse his. Higgins had a good year, but Jack was better. Comparison link (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=13&pid1=1617&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&pid2=3800&fid2=S&type=A)

angelopetraglia
29-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Underrated? Finished top 5 in coaches award. Those people who really count rate him.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2018, 10:49 PM
2018 SHADFORTH FINANCIAL GROUP AFLCA CHAMPION PLAYER OF THE YEAR FINAL LEADERBOARD

Max Gawn (Melbourne) - 97 votes

Patrick Cripps (Carlton) - 91

Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn) - 88

Brodie Grundy (Collingwood) - 82

Dayne Beams (Brisbane Lions) - 72

Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs) - 72

Clayton Oliver (Melbourne) - 72

Dustin Martin (Richmond) - 70

Lachie Whitfield (GWS Giants) - 70

Dyson Heppell (Essendon) - 68

jeemak
29-08-2018, 10:53 PM
How about Shane Edwards getting a gig...............

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=1744&pid2=3800&fid1=S&fid2=S

angelopetraglia
29-08-2018, 10:57 PM
How about Shane Edwards getting a gig...............

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=1744&pid2=3800&fid1=S&fid2=S

Yep. Unbelievable. I did the same thing against Higgins and Sidebottom and he had them other easily covered.

jeemak
29-08-2018, 11:11 PM
Yep. Unbelievable. I did the same thing against Higgins and Sidebottom and he had them other easily covered.

They possibly selected Edwards due to his forward play, he did average 0.2 goals per game more than Jacko so fair enough right?

The Pie Man
29-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Genuinely shocked when I thought this stupid league and anything connected to it couldn’t do that anymore.

A complete ****ing joke Macrae missed that team

NoseBleed
30-08-2018, 02:59 AM

Well Played Sir.

#yakiddingmeafl

Hotdog60
30-08-2018, 06:42 AM
He didn't even make the poll :-

Who should be the most upset by their All Australian squad snub?

Go_Dogs
30-08-2018, 07:08 AM
This just proves how much more knowledgeable the selectors are than the general public. They see the game differently to us, and identify the truly elite and deserving players...which we are incapable of doing. At least, that’s what it smells like.

It’s BS.

Grantysghost
30-08-2018, 09:27 AM
I know this won't happen, but part of me would like a response from the club on behalf of the 45,000 members regarding Jack's ommission. I generally treat these squads quite pragmatically, aware that you can't fit everyone in and there will be debate about who missed . However in this instance it really does defy logic that a player that the coaches voted better than Dustin Martin in a side that struggled is overlooked. Wishful thinking I know.

Bulldog Joe
30-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Once again it proves that having media people vote for any award is simple to appease the media people.

The so called big clubs always get more than they deserve in any recognition as it generates more copy/click bait.

Topdog
30-08-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm genuinely surprised that people are surprised about this

bornadog
30-08-2018, 10:18 AM
I'm genuinely surprised that people are surprised about this

I think we all expected it knowing who the judges are, just like the rising star award.

Jack was in the top 5 of the coaches awards. We will see how the umpires rated him.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2018, 11:26 AM
AA has long been rubbish.

Rance AA FB? Laughable. Arguably wouldn't have him in the top 5 this year.

Martin AA mid? Nowhere near it.

It's always been about reputation/hype not output.

craigsahibee
30-08-2018, 11:26 AM
The Football Media covering itself in glory once again.

The Underdog
30-08-2018, 12:23 PM
He didn't even make the poll :-

Who should be the most upset by their All Australian squad snub?

Think that was from the initial squad of 40, not the final 22.

Twodogs
30-08-2018, 01:02 PM

I've never rated Rance. Ever since that game he spent more time arguing with dickheads in the crowd than minding his opponent I've wondered how people rate him when it's so easy to distract him. I reckon one word about that pretend religion he's involved in would do it.

Cotchin too

Yep. And he's got a Brownlow. It makes me laugh when people say that Watson was an undeserving Brownlow medalist because when they reawarded it TRENT *!*!*!*!ING COTCHIN GOT ONE!!!!!! They want to talk about dud Brownlow medalists, we may as well give it back to Jobe.

He's got this year's "was anointed in about round 12 as an AA candidate so better include him to not make the experts look stupid" spot.

Usually it goes to a backup ruckman but there's two good ones this year so lucky Mark I guess.

Mark *!*!*!*!ing Biclavs.

mjp
30-08-2018, 02:16 PM
AA? Whatever.

Personally I hope Jackson takes it as a personal affront and plays every day next year with an AA-sized chip on his shoulder.

To be fair though, we were terrible all year and I have an opinion that the best teams SHOULD be over-represented...after all, there is a reason they are the BEST teams. If Sidebottom took Macrae's spot - which I think he did - well, Collingwood had a great year and finished top 4 - that only happened on the back of good performances by their players. You could argue I suppose that Cripps took his spot (and that would be an argument) but I think the whole 'Crippsy is toiling away, playing a lone hand in a helpless situation' narrative made it 100% he would be in...breaking the records for contested ball wins and centre clearances didnt hurt.

Macrae was amazing this year - but there seems a genuine acknowledgement that he was unlucky to miss...so a good 2019 supported by improved on field team results will basically guarantee him selection next year...

EasternWest
30-08-2018, 03:25 PM
Yep. And he's got a Brownlow. It makes me laugh when people say that Watson was an undeserving Brownlow medalist because when they reawarded it TRENT *!*!*!*!ING COTCHIN GOT ONE!!!!!! They want to talk about dud Brownlow medalists.

Cotchin is a gun.

FrediKanoute
30-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if he wins the Brownlow?

Sedat
30-08-2018, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if he wins the Brownlow?
Hawthorn won the 1991 premiership without a single player in the AA team that year.

hujsh
30-08-2018, 08:05 PM
I realised today this might be my fault. I regularly run past the AFL offices at Etihad in my Bulldogs top and flip them off. Normally it's at night when everyone is at home but I think they caught on and are punishing the club for my defiance.

Sorry all.

EasternWest
30-08-2018, 08:25 PM
I realised today this might be my fault. I regularly run past the AFL offices at Etihad in my Bulldogs top and flip them off. Normally it's at night when everyone is at home but I think they caught on and are punishing the club for my defiance.

Sorry all.

Not at all. Keep fighting the good fight.

bornadog
30-08-2018, 08:43 PM
The Bont named captain of Under 22 AA team. Also his 5 th year in a row in the team

craigsahibee
31-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Sorry all.

It's definitely you. Gil's Au Pair is also paid to watch the CCTV footage from overnight and report back to her boss. Sacre bleu :(