PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Final Series

Pages : [1] 2

macca
28-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Here is my wish list for last month of footy:

1. We score some good players a free agent like Shiels orGaff. Draft West and Khumis and another Richards gun type. Rookie Reuben Williams, Hayes.
2. Geelong to lose in first week
3. GWS to lose ANOTHER prelim. Melbourne to get into a prelmin and lose by 5 points to Richmond at MCG
4. Hawks to win the flag from 4th place, and let Clarko rip into the AFL on how stupid they have made the game with all the stupid stupid rule changes.

5. Carlton to be denied a compo pick but Brisbane be awarded 1 ( there is no logic to my statement, because their is no logic to the AFL rules) . Award contract extensions to Liam Jones, Rowe and Daisy Thomas because they are desperate to keep their major age list.

Eastdog
28-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Ticketek stuffing up again.

Eastdog
29-08-2018, 04:35 PM
I miss 2016 and GF week the build up and everything but will be back there again soon.

AndrewP6
29-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Back to being largely disinterested for me. I hate GWS and everything for them, I'll go for whoever they play. I don't like Richmond, I hope the Dawks beat them for the flag.

Oh,and Ticketek are a disgrace.

craigsahibee
29-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Just heard Hardwick on the news say that "Richmond probably weren't at their best" on the weekend, then said they didn't need to be.
I would love nothing more than to see that disrespectful turd be sent packing in straight sets.

macca
30-08-2018, 02:58 AM
If we had not kicked those 3 posters .... wtf is Barrett for this quote this week ... just hoping for some proper journalism...

I think Hardwick deepdown is trying to hide the gaps in the tigers last week. We showed other teams how they can be beaten. I hope his shitting himself. Nothing love more to see the tigers bow out in straight sets....

Chicago1
30-08-2018, 03:32 PM
I was able to get two tickets for the Richmond/Hawthorn match. My brother will be arriving from the US on Monday to visit me so it will be his first footy game ever. We're in the top row of the Ponsford Stand. Doesn't matter. Imagine your first footy game in front of a crowd of 90000+. And, of course, I will be teaching him how to hate all things Richmond before the game.:)

craigsahibee
30-08-2018, 05:30 PM
I was able to get two tickets for the Richmond/Hawthorn match. My brother will be arriving from the US on Monday to visit me so it will be his first footy game ever. We're in the top row of the Ponsford Stand. Doesn't matter. Imagine your first footy game in front of a crowd of 90000+. And, of course, I will be teaching him how to hate all things Richmond before the game.:)

That makes me feel so good that you were able to get a ticket knowing that some Nuffy in a Richmond guernsey with an Esso sponsorship badge or a Hawthorn member with their scarf proudly displaying that they have been a long serving member of 5 years, was not able to purchase one.

bornadog
30-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Is it possible that no one wins - I hate them all. :D

Ozza
30-08-2018, 11:19 PM
I’m going along to the 2 MCG games week 1. Hopefully some close games this year. Last year I think it was something crazy like only one result under 6 goals as the margin (the WCE/PORT extra time game...all others were blow outs).

Bulldog4life
31-08-2018, 03:02 PM
I would like the "Dees" to go out in their first final. On the Couch is unbearable with 3 of the 4 being Melbourne cheerleaders.

Go_Dogs
01-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I’m going along to the 2 MCG games week 1. Hopefully some close games this year. Last year I think it was something crazy like only one result under 6 goals as the margin (the WCE/PORT extra time game...all others were blow outs).

Snap. Hopefully they're good contests.

Twodogs
01-09-2018, 01:07 PM
What will happen

-Richmond won't win a final-the softest premiers ever. Richmond are done, stick a fork in their arse and turn them over. We'd be going for our hatrick if the AFL had of fallen over themselves to advantage us the way they advantage them.

-Melbourne won't win a final-they are the softest finalists ever and they seriously think they just have to turn up and they will win four finals. Boy are they in for a shock.

-Yarraville/Seddon will win the WRFL second division premiership.

-I couldn't give a flying *!*!*!*! about whatever else happens.

Happy Days
01-09-2018, 01:54 PM
-Yarraville/Seddon will win the WRFL second division premiership.

When's this on? Have lived in Yarraville for a year now and still haven't been to a game.

EasternWest
01-09-2018, 01:55 PM
What will happen

-Richmond won't win a final-the softest premiers ever.

I dunno. There was that recent premiership team that didn't even make the finals the next year.

azabob
01-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Just heard Hardwick on the news say that "Richmond probably weren't at their best" on the weekend, then said they didn't need to be.
I would love nothing more than to see that disrespectful turd be sent packing in straight sets.

He's trying to sell that internally, he needs to sell that internally.

I reckon he said before the match we are treating it like a final and that was reflected in the players they brought back in.

Twodogs
01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
I dunno. There was that recent premiership team that didn't even make the finals the next year.

I know the team you mean. They were the team that won four finals in a row including 2 interstate and then promptly had to deal with a raft of rule changes that almost seemed designed to counter all the competitive advantages they had built up over the previous couple of years.

Or are you talking about the team that gets easy kills served up to them on their home ground dressed up as high pressure finals?

When's this on? Have lived in Yarraville for a year now and still haven't been to a game.

Tomorrow. We play Wayne Skipper's Point Cook team for the second week in a row (played them in the last round of the season and play them again in the second semi.

http://www.yseagles.com.au

EasternWest
01-09-2018, 04:57 PM
I know the team you mean. They were the team that won four finals in a row including 2 interstate and then promptly had to deal with a raft of rule changes that almost seemed designed to counter all the competitive advantages they had built up over the previous couple of years.

Wow. Sounds like a lot of excuses to me. You can swallow them if you want, but I don't accept that at all.

Good teams find a way. We were unquestionably the best team at the right time in 2016 - we would've beaten anyone - but we fell totally away in the two years after.

You can't seriously believe that for the largest part of the last two years the tripe we have served up is because of " a few rule changes".

AshMac
05-09-2018, 06:18 PM
Or are you talking about the team that gets easy kills served up to them on their home ground dressed up as high pressure finals?

http://www.yseagles.com.au

this! 100% this!

GVGjr
06-09-2018, 07:16 PM
So it's Richmond vs Clarkson tonight, so who wins and why?

DOG GOD
06-09-2018, 07:24 PM
If the Hawks can kick at over 75% efficiency, I can see them winning. I think they have the fwd line to worry the tigers defence. Hawks need to get the tigers defender one on one where Breust and Gunston will have the advantage. Sicily will be important and McEvoy needs to have a ripper. Geelong, Essendon and dogs all proved how to beat Richmond, and Hawthorn have the better skills of all.

It should be close. I just hope the rain has stopped, so it doesn’t ruin the skill level.

Hawks by 7 points

Bulldog Joe
06-09-2018, 07:39 PM
I would like the "Dees" to go out in their first final. On the Couch is unbearable with 3 of the 4 being Melbourne cheerleaders.

The only problem I have with that is the alternative.

I want Geelong absolutely flogged to send Harry Taylor out of the AFL in the most deserving fashion.

bornadog
06-09-2018, 08:20 PM
So it's Richmond vs Clarkson tonight, so who wins and why?

Richmond should win easily. The Hawks are lucky to be there with several games won by under one goal.

kruder
06-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Hard not to start thinking about the Dogs V Hawks in 16 after Bruest missed another soda in the second quarter tonight. What a miss that was. What a night that was.:D

DOG GOD
06-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Well I honestly thought the hawks would put up a better effort. They certainly aren’t playing the style that almost worked for a few other teams. Rich has certainly brought the pressure...will be hard pressed not to make the GF now :(

GVGjr
06-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Professional effort by the Tigers. They made the Hawks look like a very 2nd rate side

jeemak
06-09-2018, 11:30 PM
Richmond were definitely on, however, Hawthorn as a kicking team never stood a chance tonight. Trying to take nothing away from the Tigers, it all really does fall their way.

GVGjr
07-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Richmond should win easily. The Hawks are lucky to be there with several games won by under one goal.

Well picked, did you think it would be that easy for them though?

westdog54
07-09-2018, 09:06 AM

I certainly didn't.

I honestly believe there's only one team left that's capable of laying a glove on them on the MCG, and that's Collingwood.

Mantis
07-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Hawthorn making the top 4 shows the lack of depth in the competition at present. A complete shadow of their former self.

When Richmond cranked up the heat the Hawks wilted... yet to see the ‘top up’ model prosper and with an ageing team it makes next weeks game massive for the Hawks.

G-Mo77
07-09-2018, 09:28 AM
I certainly didn't.

I honestly believe there's only one team left that's capable of laying a glove on them on the MCG, and that's Collingwood.

Agree.

bornadog
07-09-2018, 10:04 AM

I actually did. When I look at the Hawks team, they rely heavily on ageing players (over 10 players with 150 plus games last night), and their younger players are a bit hit and miss. The older players were well held last night, and a few are past it (Roughead, Burgoyne for example)

The real problem they have is in the midfield, they have two good players and the rest rotating through, don't get enough of the ball. Mitchell gets a lot of the ball, but I don't see him as damaging as say a Dusty. I am still scratching my head how made top 4.

Greystache
07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Hard to believe that Hawthorn were a top 4 team. They're just so mediocre. The competition really isn't a good standard at the moment.

SlimPickens
07-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Hard to believe that Hawthorn were a top 4 team. They're just so mediocre. The competition really isn't a good standard at the moment.

It's a pretty even comp apart from Richmond. It's just the overall standard is a steaming pile of canine excrement

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2018, 12:05 PM
Hawthorn are showing that the top up with highly paid talent, leaves you exposed for depth, but the depth still needs to part of the best 22.

It is also the reason why Sydney keep making finals but failing and Geelong have a list that has evolved in the same way.

Expect Melbourne to beat Geelong tonight and smash Hawthorn next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
How would our 2016 Finals side go v Richmond?

It's going to be a bore of a finals series as I can't see any side getting within 5 goals of Richmond.

westdog54
07-09-2018, 12:58 PM

It's going to be a bore of a finals series as I can't see any side getting within 5 goals of Richmond.

I don't know who would have won, but it would have been a better game than the GWS game. And that's one of the best football games I have ever watched.

Rocket Science
07-09-2018, 01:52 PM
The best thing about tonight's game is that one of Melbourne or Geelong will be hurting afterwards.

Bulldog Revolution
07-09-2018, 02:09 PM

Yeah, kind of agree, but I didnt think the Tigers were that good - but there effort is so consistent that even when not that on, teams dont punish them - that said an unexpected injury or two to prime movers could bring them back to the field. They've had a charmed run.

Hawthorn fumbled too much for my liking, but when the heat went out of the game, they were able to keep possession and kick a few junk time goals - the hawks may make it through on the other side if other teams cant keep their pressure up against them

bornadog
07-09-2018, 02:55 PM
The best thing about tonight's game is that one of Melbourne or Geelong will be hurting afterwards.

I hope it's Geelong - bundled out in the first final, beautiful. I want to see the coach's face.

Greystache
07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
I'm torn. I'd like to see Melbourne go out first round because the hype around them making week two would be unbearable. But then Chris Scott has won less finals than Luke Beveridge since 2012 and I like that stat. I guess having won the same number of finals is still pretty funny.

So by default Geelong, with them to go out week 2.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Both give me the shits but my hatred for Geelong is unmatched, so for one night only, I'll be on the Demons.

Rocket Science
07-09-2018, 04:21 PM
Both give me the shits but my hatred for Geelong is unmatched, so for one night only, I'll be on the Demons.

I TOTALLY get this. But can you imagine the unbearable hubris if Melbourne win?

There's something delicious about the hooplah surrounding their return to September action resulting in being told to piss off and come back again when you're serious, even by the hand of those entitled pricks from down the road.

Sedat
07-09-2018, 04:23 PM
The current Demons playing list is highly unlikeable but the club is a non-issue for me.

Geelong on the other hand have raped and pillaged over $100m off the tax payer for nothing more than having the good fortune of being located in a marginal electorate. Add to that their arrogant asshole senior coach who bristles at any mention of his shitful finals record since 2012, and a bunch of entitled and over-exposed senior players, and it would be lovely to see them bundled out tonight.

EasternWest
07-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Mark Robinson has tipped Melbourne to finish runners up. Mark Robinson has also tipped Melbourne to lose tonight.
Mark Robinson is not a smart man.

Flamethrower
07-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Mark Robinson has tipped Melbourne to finish runners up. Mark Robinson has also tipped Melbourne to lose tonight.
Mark Robinson is not a smart man.

Robbo has since tweeted that he actually tipped Melbourne by 50 points, and his tip printed in the Hun was an error.

Still less embarrassing than the effort from The Age who had Richmond beating Essendon last night.

bornadog
07-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Robbo has since tweeted that he actually tipped Melbourne by 50 points, and his tip printed in the Hun was an error.

Still less embarrassing than the effort from The Age who had Richmond beating Essendon last night.

That's what happens when you outsource sub editors

EasternWest
07-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Pardon my cynicism but he would say that, wouldn't he?

Chicago1
07-09-2018, 07:30 PM
What a fizzer of a game it turned out to be last night, but it still turned out to be a great day for my brother. I checked that we could park our car at the Whitten Oval and take the train in from there. I took him outside to the ground and showed him the place I took the pic of my parents when they visited me in 1979. I also pointed out the places I used to stand and sit in my 20 years going to games there. We went inside to have a quick lunch at Barkers Cafe where Chris Grant walked by, so, of course, I had to say hello and introduce my brother to him. I was as excited as a Bay City Roller fan back in 1976! We had a quick chat with Chris and then went into the Bulldogs shop where I bought my brother a Bulldogs cap to wear in Vegas when he plays poker. We then had a look at the museum and saw "The Cup".

Caught the train to Flinders Station and then to Jolimont. The walk from the station to the entrance of the MCG took all of my strength. On the way there we ran into Caroline Wilson. I stopped her to say hello and tell her that it was my brother's first game. I was very polite. Very. She said that she hoped my brother would enjoy the game then went of for a pre-game interview. When she was out of hearing I told my brother about her and just might have mentioned that she's a bitch and that most footy fans hated her! LOL

The MCG info guy inside Gate1 was nice and showed up where the lift to Level 4 was. We took it up and proceeded to our Bay and the nicest ticket checker ever saw where our seats were (MM at the top of the Ponsford Stand) and said she'd call a supervisor to see if he could get us seats where I wouldn't have to climb so far. He came over and changed our seats to Level 1 below us and in the handicapped section directly in back of the Hawthorn goals. I was so grateful and my brother was very impressed. As we waited on Level 4 we got to talking to a woman and her daughter. The mother said her daughter loved the Cubs when we told her where we are from. So very typical of my brother, he gave them his email address and left it up to them on his offer of getting a Cubs shirt and a few other things for the daughter and sending them to her when he gets back to the states next week. He received an email from them with their address this morning. They actually live in Onkaparinga SA and had driven over for the game. So in a couple of weeks the girl should receive the promised goods.

Seats were great and were in back of the Hawks members seats. At least we were away from Richmond bogans except for one that was standing right in back of us taunting the Hawks members. Toward the very end, a middle aged woman about three rows in front of us stood up, turned around and yelled at the Richmond bogan:"Would you shut the eff up"? WE all laughted and clapped. That was the highlight of the game for us.

Took the train from Jolimont back to West Footscray station after the game fairly easily, but just missed the Sunbury train by about a minute so had to wait for the next.

Tonight we're getting fish 'n chips and watching the Swans/GWS. My brother already knows which team I do NOT want to win! He's learned a lot in the four days he's been here, even how to drive on the left side of the road and what a meat pie tastes like. ;)

Sedat
07-09-2018, 09:22 PM
Geelol

G-Mo77
07-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Just saw the scores, go Dees!!!!

Beat them by 60+!

Rocket Science
07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Moar shots of Scotty in the box please *fetches more popcorn*.

The wailing for free kicks from the usual suspects has already begun.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2018, 09:50 PM
A friend of mine, lets call him or her, Luke D, wants to know if he hasn't signed a contract yet does he still have to go Geelong for 4 years.

EasternWest
07-09-2018, 09:52 PM
I'm torn on this. I don't much care for Melbourne, but I like seeing Chris Scott lose.

Greystache
07-09-2018, 10:00 PM
This has heartbreak written all over it for Melbourne. They've dominated but pissed away 10 goal chances that quarter. Might come back to cost them.

jeemak
07-09-2018, 10:04 PM
This has heartbreak written all over it for Melbourne. They've dominated but pissed away 10 goal chances that quarter. Might come back to cost them.

Yeah it does. A small reset from Geelong and a drop in pressure from Melbourne and it could go to shit for the latter.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-09-2018, 10:09 PM
Ablett has been worst on ground IMO but agree - Melbourne have seriously pissed this up against a wall and if Geelong score early I can see them choking

G-Mo77
07-09-2018, 10:37 PM
These misses on goal by the Dees remind me so much of finals we've lost in the past.

AndrewP6
07-09-2018, 10:40 PM
I LOL'd when Duck Selwood gave away a free as Hawkins lined up for goal. What a moron.

jeemak
07-09-2018, 10:42 PM
What rubbish we’re watching.

MrMahatma
07-09-2018, 11:09 PM
This is the beginning of a slow journey to the basement for Geelong. Won't be in Sept again for many years.

SlimPickens
07-09-2018, 11:09 PM
Geelong are junk.

G-Mo77
07-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Nice seeing Hannan ice it. He's still a Bulldog in my eyes.

westdog54
07-09-2018, 11:26 PM
That was an insipid final.

It didn't matter who won, Hawthorn will make mince meat out of Melbourne next week.

G-Mo77
07-09-2018, 11:28 PM
That was an insipid final.

It didn't matter who won, Hawthorn will make mince meat out of Melbourne next week.

I loved it. Great hard contest. Hawthorn are nothing special, Dees will roll them.

Bulldog Joe
07-09-2018, 11:42 PM
I loved it. Great hard contest. Hawthorn are nothing special, Dees will roll them.

I agree. Hawthorn have too many players who are just not up to it. Very reliant on Mitchell and O'Meara
The loss of Stratton, really hurts there ability to defend.

westdog54
08-09-2018, 07:46 AM

The contest wasn't the issue. The quality of disposal was. Melbourne kicked 1.10 in just under 2 quarters of football. That just isn't finals standard.

G-Mo77
08-09-2018, 08:44 AM
The contest wasn't the issue. The quality of disposal was. Melbourne kicked 1.10 in just under 2 quarters of football. That just isn't finals standard.

Finals a lot more pressure and goals are harder to come by. 2009 Prelim we missed lots and barely put a score on the board but almost got over the line.

westdog54
08-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Finals a lot more pressure and goals are harder to come by. 2009 Prelim we missed lots and barely put a score on the board but almost got over the line.

Almost being the operative word.

So many misses were under little to no pressure last night. Danger and Menzel's consecutive misses last night in the 3rd were inexcusable.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-09-2018, 09:53 AM
I think it shows how average Geelong are. For the dees to kick 1.10 and still maintain a 3+ goal lead in a final says a lot

dog town
08-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Had a perfect view last night from behind the goals. Geelong just couldn’t deal with Melbourne’s territory game and were too slow and risk averse with the ball. Even the execution of their actual skills was too slow.

Had to try to manufacture a loose behind the ball to get some over lap and that’s why they kicked it back so much. They had 3-4 vs 2 ahead of the ball and were not good enough to use their numbers around the ball.

People complain about us having too many half backs but a good one to support JJ, Richards and Williams could be invaluable. Even another winger to free Hunter up to play that spare over lap run role.

hujsh
08-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Had a perfect view last night from behind the goals. Geelong just couldn’t deal with Melbourne’s territory game and were too slow and risk averse with the ball. Even the execution of their actual skills was too slow.

Had to try to manufacture a loose behind the ball to get some over lap and that’s why they kicked it back so much. They had 3-4 vs 2 ahead of the ball and were not good enough to use their numbers around the ball.

People complain about us having too many half backs but a good one to support JJ, Richards and Williams could be invaluable. Even another winger to free Hunter up to play that spare over lap run role.

Crozier on current form surely is this

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 06:09 PM
F*CK I HATE GREENE.

The irrational venom almost catches me by surprise every time I watch him pull his routine.

He's going to get pulled up on his studs-first trick some day ... but it won't be before he seriously maims some poor bastard in the process.

wimberga
08-09-2018, 06:28 PM
F*CK I HATE GREENE.

The irrational venom almost catches me by surprise every time I watch him pull his routine.

He's going to get pulled up on his studs-first trick some day ... but it won't be before he seriously maims some poor bastard in the process.

Could not agree more!

He has been doing this for a long long time and as far as I remember, has never faced any repurcussions for it? at most a free kick against?

Its a horrible look, its flat out dangerous and it has been going on for far too long. I hope something gets done sooner rather than later.

On another note, Williams is a serious player.

Sedat
08-09-2018, 06:31 PM
How bad it is to have to suffer through Basil, Hammer and Ling butchering a final? Ch 7 know we have no choice, hence they don't give a shit.

Hate those bastards.

GVGjr
08-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Best thing for the AFL would be for GWS to lose this game. They're the only team that could wreck see out games.

Unfortunately, they've been very good so far.

bornadog
08-09-2018, 06:41 PM
F*CK I HATE GREENE.

Umps do nothing about it and then give a free kick for deliberate when a kick skews off the boot and goes OOB - get your bloody priorities right

AndrewP6
08-09-2018, 06:56 PM
God this is a boring game.

Sedat
08-09-2018, 07:02 PM
If Greene didn't get weeks for kicking Dahl in the face last year when it wasn't a marking contest, why should he change his ways? The AFL are seemingly ok with it.

He's an annoying prick but I'd love him at the kennel. Seriously good player and impacts in big games.

Greystache
08-09-2018, 07:03 PM
There's a fair bit of Geelong about Sydney. They keep topping to stay in it but don't look to be anything but making up the numbers.

DOG GOD
08-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Like Geel last night a very mediocre performance and their top players having no impact.

Sedat
08-09-2018, 07:06 PM
God this is a boring game.
Yep. Last night was also an abomination and Thursday night wasn't much better. Ordinary finals series so far to put it mildly.

Sedat
08-09-2018, 07:08 PM
There's a fair bit of Geelong about Sydney. They keep topping to stay in it but don't look to be anything but making up the numbers.
Was thinking the same thing. Their midfield especially is very blue collar and devoid of any offensive weaponry - Hanneberry was their outside silk but he's cooked.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2018, 07:17 PM
Sydney actually set the standard to be competitive and not quite win anything when the made the big plays for Tippett and then Buddy.
This forced out a lot of mid range players leaving them short on depth.

The staying in finals thing is so successful that Geelong have followed suit and Hawthorn also did the same thing at the end of 2016.

This is the reason that Richmond are looking like premiers, but they appear also ready to follow the Sydney path with the alleged recruitment of Tom Lynch.

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 07:22 PM
If Greene didn't get weeks for kicking Dahl in the face last year when it wasn't a marking contest, why should he change his ways? The AFL are seemingly ok with it.

He's an annoying prick but I'd love him at the kennel. Seriously good player and impacts in big games.

Someone like Ling's "annoying". Greene's utterly rage inducing. I'd just as soon recruit Hitler.

As I write this he's just pulled his trick again.

Frankly I'd love to see his face caved in when he rakes the wrong bloke across the face with his foot.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Toby Greene with another kick at an opponent as he takes a mark. This time at Zac Jones, who was actually behind him.

The action of putting a boot up in the direction of an opponent needs to be written out of the game.

jeemak
08-09-2018, 07:26 PM

The consecutive finals record is now the result.

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Toby Greene with another kick at an opponent as he takes a mark. This time at Zac Jones, who was actually behind him.

The action of putting a boot up in the direction of an opponent needs to be written out of the game.

Then that anodyne dipshit Ling "doesn't like the look of it" but promptly regurgitates the "a player marking the ball has to be able to protect himself" crap.

There's a reason protective equipment worn is heavily vetted in the interests of player safety. It's same reason maggots like Greene shouldn't be blatantly aiming studded boots at the bodies of opponents.

Sedat
08-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Someone like Ling's "annoying". Greene's utterly rage inducing. I'd just as soon recruit Hitler.

As I write this he's just pulled his trick again.

Frankly I'd love to see his face caved in when he rakes the wrong bloke across the face with his foot.
I understand how polarising he is but on talent he is an absolute star.

I also hate the studs up tactic but when you don't get any weeks for a deliberate kick to the head of an opponent in a non-marking contest, the action is clearly getting the tick of approval.

Go_Dogs
08-09-2018, 07:42 PM
The AFL need to outlaw this,kicking immediately. Greene should get 3 weeks and miss the GF otherwise everyone is going to start doing this.

Happy Days
08-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Yep. Last night was also an abomination and Thursday night wasn't much better. Ordinary finals series so far to put it mildly.

It's because the most in-form team in the comp isn't in it obviously.

Re: Greene - when he kicked Dahl in the face, about 30 seconds later he took a massive hanger and kicked a goal. It was at that moment I finally realised life isn't fair and became a fully fledged nihilist. He's my favourite player ever now.

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 07:44 PM
I understand how polarising he is but on talent he is an absolute star.

I also hate the studs up tactic but when you don't get any weeks for a deliberate kick to the head of an opponent in a non-marking contest, the action is clearly getting the tick of approval.

You're right, he's evidently so emboldened it's his default marking method now.

He's just done it AGAIN, and clearly taking the piss now.

ledge
08-09-2018, 07:46 PM
The only sport you can go in studs up , strange they ban sliding in feet first but if you kick a guy in the guts or chest it’s fine .

bulldogtragic
08-09-2018, 07:46 PM
My heart breaks for Harry Taylor. If he nails that goal after the siren against us, he moves Geelong into playing Sydney at Kardinia Park, which based on today they win and move into a semi-final. But I digress, he didn't, he choked and now his club is sitting it out. A shame really.

ledge
08-09-2018, 07:47 PM

Re: Greene - when he kicked Dahl in the face, about 30 seconds later he took a massive hanger and kicked a goal. It was at that moment I finally realised life isn't fair and became a fully fledged nihilist. He's my favourite player ever now.

I thought it was McClean .

bulldogtragic
08-09-2018, 07:47 PM
You're right, he's evidently so emboldened it's his default marking method now.

He's just done it AGAIN, and clearly taking the piss now.

The marking is a clear second action too. It's a karate kick as a seperate action. It's embarrassing that this is either the rule, or umpires are letting it go.

azabob
08-09-2018, 07:49 PM

You thought wrong

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 07:58 PM
The marking is a clear second action too. It's a karate kick as a seperate action. It's embarrassing that this is either the rule, or umpires are letting it go.

Maybe umpires aren't equipped with a clear rule to properly deal with this but if they were it'd get knocked on the head pretty quickly once it starts costing teams free kicks.

Greene's the only f*ckwit doing it habitually. By letting it slide the league's extended an open invitation for others to follow suit.

Grantysghost
08-09-2018, 08:08 PM
You can use your feet, knee and hands in a marking contest. However you can't punch someone and then take the mark. Just as you can't kick someone. To me it's a pretty clear infringement but he only copped a $1500 fine for the Dalhaus incident so he's emboldened to do it. When he takes out someone's eye, then they will react after the fact.

EasternWest
08-09-2018, 08:29 PM

Chortle

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 08:42 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-09-08/should-this-be-allowed

*kisses fingertips like a chef*

For a league that's so hellbent on sanitising the game for a broader audience and healthy 'optics' I'm stunned they abide this.

Studs are for gripping the turf, not for regularly and BLATANTLY aiming at opponents.

jeemak
08-09-2018, 09:05 PM
It was funny at the time Dahlhaus got it in the face many on here excused Greene’s actions.

As I said at the time, a player like him knows exactly what he’s doing at all times on a field. Just like the Cameron incident earlier in the year, he was committed to the act four steps before he left the ground.

Rocket Science
08-09-2018, 09:39 PM
It was funny at the time Dahlhaus got it in the face many on here excused Greene’s actions.

As I said at the time, a player like him knows exactly what he’s doing at all times on a field. Just like the Cameron incident earlier in the year, he was committed to the act four steps before he left the ground.

Would anyone with eyes that aren't painted on even try to suggest he's doing it involuntarily at this point?

The fact it's a deliberate tactic just makes the league's inaction more galling.

I'm sure they'll act once someone has their trachea snapped.

EasternWest
08-09-2018, 10:22 PM
Cracking game of finals footy over in the west. I really like Collingwood.

DOG GOD
08-09-2018, 10:24 PM
Cracking game of finals footy over in the west. I really like Collingwood.

Big bodies in the midfield and Sidebottom playing out of his skin. They move the ball quick and run hard both ways. Cracking game.

EasternWest
08-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Big bodies in the midfield and Sidebottom playing out of his skin. They move the ball quick and run hard both ways. Cracking game.

Spot on. No contest shirked. Collingwood have some slick hands.

Sedat
09-09-2018, 12:00 AM
Excellent final. Needed it.

West Coke were fantastic taking control of the clearances in the last qtr. Yeo's game was off the charts.

Doc26
09-09-2018, 12:40 AM
I’m over hearing AFL media commentators making such inane, out of touch comments, for neutral appeasement, that leaves most of us scratching our heads saying to ourselves “No, really”. This competition thrives on its tribalism, not commenting like your reviewing an art exhibition or rock concert.

There are far too many Journo’s and ex players, making a living out of commenting on this game, who are poor performing. Other than AFL Operations, there is no other area that demands an overhaul more for the poor standard that’s put to the public each week.

Not wishing to single him out as there are far worse, Sam McClure on 7 just now on his wrap up of the day:
“Isn’t it great to see Toby Greene back at his best kicking 3 goals today .....”

Really, is it? Maybe for the one or two GWS fans but the 99.9% of us who live AFL think it’s more an abomination.

hujsh
09-09-2018, 12:48 AM
I’m over hearing AFL media commentators making such inane, out of touch comments, for neutral appeasement, that leaves most of us scratching our heads saying to ourselves “No, really”

Sam McClure on 7 just now on his wrap up of the day:
“Isn’t it great to see Toby Greene back at his best kicking 3 goals today .....”

Really, is it? Maybe for the one or two GWS fans but the 99.9% of us who live AFL think it’s more an abomination.

I don't know, this martial arts-AFL hybrid could be the success AFLX doesn't look like being

ledge
09-09-2018, 04:41 AM
Here’s a David king like stat, since 2012 an interstate team has played a Victorian team in the grand final with only the interstate team winning once back in 2012.
This year could continue the stat very easily.

EasternWest
09-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Excellent final. Needed it.

West Coke were fantastic taking control of the clearances in the last qtr. Yeo's game was off the charts.

I could watch a game like that any day. I actually felt like Collingwood were the better team but West Coast capitalised on their opportunities later in the game.

Far out, is Yeo the most underrated star in the game?

The bulldog tragician
09-09-2018, 11:02 AM
That was a brilliant match. I was surprised to see the much maligned Jack Darling play a courageous match. It shows that big guys can take a while to evolve into their bodies perhaps.

I felt nostalgic thinking of our stunning win in Perth. That silence that came over the Perth morons when we went 6/7 goals up in the last quarter. It also puts our fantastic achievement in context. Collingwood played incredibly well and were impressive but still couldn’t win. With the weight of time our 2016 finals wins are going to get the acknowledgement they should I hope.

G-Mo77
09-09-2018, 11:19 AM
That was a brilliant match. I was surprised to see the much maligned Jack Darling play a courageous match. It shows that big guys can take a while to evolve into their bodies perhaps.

I felt nostalgic thinking of our stunning win in Perth. That silence that came over the Perth morons when we went 6/7 goals up in the last quarter. It also puts our fantastic achievement in context. Collingwood played incredibly well and were impressive but still couldn’t win. With the weight of time our 2016 finals wins are going to get the acknowledgement they should I hope.

I watched that game yesterday, the silence in the last quarter was deafening. The knobs only cheered when Dickson pulled up sore with a cramp and Dahl got kicked in the face.

SonofScray
09-09-2018, 11:26 AM
Greene kicking blokes again. Why won't people just call it what is? An intentional kick. The lowest act in footy.

Twodogs
09-09-2018, 11:33 AM

Too many clubs leaving the quality of players is thinned out. We really need to lose Gold Coast and have a good long hard look at exactly what benefit GWS bring to the comp and then get rid of them as well.

It's a pretty even comp apart from Richmond. It's just the overall standard is a steaming pile of canine excrement

It looks like it originated from bovine to he.

Yeah, kind of agree, but I didnt think the Tigers were that good - but there effort is so consistent that even when not that on, teams dont punish them - that said an unexpected injury or two to prime movers could bring them back to the field. They've had a charmed run.

Hawthorn fumbled too much for my liking, but when the heat went out of the game, they were able to keep possession and kick a few junk time goals - the hawks may make it through on the other side if other teams cant keep their pressure up against them

Don't let EasternWest hear you say that. I'm suspecting he's a Richmomd supporter at heart.

Not being serious EW, I just have trouble not shit stirring.:cool:

A friend of mine, lets call him or her, Luke D, wants to know if he hasn't signed a contract yet does he still have to go Geelong for 4 years.

That's a bit obvious. We'd be better of going with L. Dalhaus.

F*CK I HATE GREENE.

I hope someone snaps the little pricks leg in half. It's what I'd do, just grab it and twist as hard as you can. "How did you enjoy that Greene you little *!*!*!*!? Actually I will wait until you've stopped screaming in pain before I ask anymore questions"

EasternWest
09-09-2018, 11:37 AM
Don't let EasternWest hear you say that. I'm suspecting he's a Richmomd supporter at heart.

Not being serious EW, I just have trouble not shit stirring.:cool"

LOL. I just like them, I like the frenetic way they play. Reminds me of us at our best.

They have had a good run though, no denying that.

G-Mo77
09-09-2018, 11:52 AM
Greene kicking blokes again. Why won't people just call it what is? An intentional kick. The lowest act in footy.

Protecting space apparently. I wish someone would protect space from Greene with a forearm shiver

Twodogs
09-09-2018, 11:57 AM
LOL. I just like them, I like the frenetic way they play. Reminds me of us at our best.

They have had a good run though, no denying that.

I'm in kind of the same boat. Having grown up in the late '60s and early '70s during Richmond's golden years I learned to really, really despise them with a passion. The arrogance that reeked out of Punt rd back then was sickening and the most arrogant of them all was Royce Hart. But the player I idolise most is Royce Hart, even after the damage he did coaching us in the early '80s.

One day during school holidays I was having a kick with my mates at western oval. I took a huge hanger, I must have been 7 foot off the ground when I caught the ball in one hand with the other hand balancing me on someone's shoulder steadying me. Anyway I vaguely remember looking down and thinking "shit, what am I going to do now?" before I hit the ground like a ton of bricks. When I came good and looked up the first person I could see was Royce Hart (he'd been running laps if the ground) standing over me saying "are you ok kid? That's the best mark I have ever seen" It was possibly the greatest moment of my life.

EasternWest
09-09-2018, 03:07 PM
I'm in kind of the same boat. Having grown up in the late '60s and early '70s during Richmond's golden years I learned to really, really despise them with a passion. The arrogance that reeked out of Punt rd back then was sickening and the most arrogant of them all was Royce Hart. But the player I idolise most is Royce Hart, even after the damage he did coaching us in the early '80s.

One day during school holidays I was having a kick with my mates at western oval. I took a huge hanger, I must have been 7 foot off the ground when I caught the ball in one hand with the other hand balancing me on someone's shoulder steadying me. Anyway I vaguely remember looking down and thinking "shit, what am I going to do now?" before I hit the ground like a ton of bricks. When I came good and looked up the first person I could see was Royce Hart (he'd been running laps if the ground) standing over me saying "are you ok kid? That's the best mark I have ever seen" It was possibly the greatest moment of my life.

That's the best story I've ever read.

Doc26
09-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Great story TD. I wonder if he still recalls it.

ledge
09-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Obviously thought you had no improvement , you had reached your peak and weren’t worth signing up ;-)

Mantis
09-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Hurts to say it, but thank christ Collingwood saved the day as that was a shitful first week of the finals.

As far back as we are, we are closer to another premiership than each of the losers of the first 3 finals.. they're all stuck in no mans land.

G-Mo77
09-09-2018, 07:50 PM
Hurts to say it, but thank christ Collingwood saved the day as that was a shitful first week of the finals.

As far back as we are, we are closer to another premiership than each of the losers of the first 3 finals.. they're all stuck in no mans land.

And it kind of sucks that they lost because we are likely going to get West Coast in the GF and it'll be over by half time.

Hotdog60
09-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Maybe umpires aren't equipped with a clear rule to properly deal with this but if they were it'd get knocked on the head pretty quickly once it starts costing teams free kicks.

Greene's the only f*ckwit doing it habitually. By letting it slide the league's extended an open invitation for others to follow suit.
If a backman did the same thing to Greene would he get a free against?

bornadog
09-09-2018, 09:56 PM

You thought wrong

He did it to Mclean in the prelim, but kicked Dahl in the face last year.

Ozza
09-09-2018, 10:26 PM
I went to both MCG games, MCC members for both.
The Thursday night was fine, but the Friday was bloody awful. I went there trying to barrack for Melbourne, but 5 minutes into the game it was utterly impossible due to their supporters. I’ve never seen anything like it. I get it that they’ve waited a long time for this, but they were so awful - really lippy, over the top carry on for every contest/umpiring decision/goal, and a lot of nastiness about them - you just couldn’t be on board with them as a neutral. It’s put me off going to Hawthorn/Melbourne this week. The only good thing about the match up is that at least one of them will lose.

I’m staggered that Melbourne are heavy favourites this week. It’s a toss of the coin for me, but for Melbourne to be so heavily favoured after the error riddled game they played in on Friday, is a bit baffling.

jeemak
09-09-2018, 10:43 PM
The Thursday night was fine, but the Friday was bloody awful. I went there trying to barrack for Melbourne, but 5 minutes into the game it was utterly impossible due to their supporters. I’ve never seen anything like it. I get it that they’ve waited a long time for this, but they were so awful - really lippy, over the top carry on for every contest/umpiring decision/goal, and a lot of nastiness about them - you just couldn’t be on board with them as a neutral. It’s put me off going to Hawthorn/Melbourne this week. The only good thing about the match up is that at least one of them will lose.

I’m staggered that Melbourne are heavy favourites this week. It’s a toss of the coin for me, but for Melbourne to be so heavily favoured after the error riddled game they played in on Friday, is a bit baffling.

Funny, I went to the second game we played against them this year and sat in the MCC........and noticed the same thing.

They are so twattish.

azabob
09-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Funny, I went to the second game we played against them this year and sat in the MCC........and noticed the same thing.

They are so twattish.

At the same game I sat in their club members section and was surprised how arrogant they were. Just on them being favourites it happens every year. The losers are finished and the winners are unstoppable. Majority of the time it doesn’t work out that way.

westdog54
10-09-2018, 03:31 AM

I maintain that they are the only threat remaining that Richmond has.

And if Collingwood can roll GWS at the G (Which they will do with their eyes closed) they'll get a shot at Richmond in a Prelim.

That's a nightmare scenario for Richmond.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2018, 10:37 AM

It's the one thing stopping me from going for them their fans. They're the underdog, haven't been there in ages. It's all the elements to bandwagon. But their fans are insufferable. And always have been. They boo the umpires and whinge at every opportunity and get overly confident when they win a single game, even though the week before they'd lost the unloseable. You'd think, like bulldogs or saints supporters, that they'd be pessimists or at least controlled in their optimism but no. I can't stand the other 7 teams so melbourne gets my vote by default, but it's bloody hard to want them to win! I'm torn this week.

Mantis
10-09-2018, 11:38 AM

They are so twattish.

The MCC when the Dees are playing is full of the stereotypical Melbourne supporter:

- early/ mid 20's male
- went to a private school
- wears RM Williams
- silver spoon
- loud
- obnoxious

Should I continue?

They really are a hard team to warm to, especially when their poster boy also has his head up his own arse.

ReLoad
10-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Melbourne should go super hard for Wingard. Playing in a team like that he would kick 3 goals a week minimum.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2018, 11:46 AM
The MCC when the Dees are playing is full of the stereotypical Melbourne supporter:

- early/ mid 20's male
- went to a private school
- wears RM Williams
- silver spoon
- loud
- obnoxious

Should I continue?

They really are a hard team to warm to, especially when their poster boy also has his head up his own arse.

Which one?

Mantis
10-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Which one?

Petracca.

I like the way Big Max & Brayshaw go about their work, but Petracca is all sizzle and no sausage.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Petracca.

I like the way Big Max & Brayshaw go about their work, but Petracca is all sizzle and no sausage.

He likes to make it known he knows Ben Simmons

Greystache
10-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Petracca.

Add him to the likes of Oliver and Hogan and they have some incredibly dislikeable players.

Speaking of which, is Bugg still playing football or is he available to be JJ's full time medal polisher?

Ozza
10-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Add him to the likes of Oliver and Hogan and they have some incredibly dislikeable players.

Speaking of which, is Bugg still playing football or is he available to be JJ's full time medal polisher?

Played reserves all season. Would be great to see him get delisted at the end of the year.

Greystache
10-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Played reserves all season. Would be great to see him get delisted at the end of the year.

Yes, it was more a condescending reference to his status in AFL football. 3 games in 2018 and at 25 there's pretty decent chance he'll get cut.

SquirrelGrip
10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
The Dees are the ultimate front runners.

Sedat
10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
He is their Stringer - does the occasional freakish thing to get the crowd and media into a lather but then fails to execute some basic fundamentals. He butchered a number of gilt-edged I50 opportunities on Friday night with flat-out dumb decision making.

DOG GOD
10-09-2018, 06:35 PM
I find him a lazy player...stands on the outer too much for my liking and once the ball moves away from him, he gives up and rarely chases. Definitely in the stringer mould.

GVGjr
10-09-2018, 06:54 PM
The Dees are the ultimate front runners.

While there is an element of truth in that statement, they're still a very talented side.

Go_Dogs
10-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Was pleased to see the adjudication come through that you can now kick players in a marking contest. This new WWE element is going to make the AFEL much more enjoyable.

Go_Dogs
10-09-2018, 07:51 PM

I was in the AFL members section and didn't notice it anywhere near as much, although I suppose not many Melbourne supporters would lower themselves to sitting anywhere other than MCC.

That being said, I don't mind the Dee's (at this stage) and hope they make it through this week, before getting smacked in a prelim.

Twodogs
11-09-2018, 11:13 PM
That's the best story I've ever read.

Obviously thought you had no improvement , you had reached your peak and weren’t worth signing up ;-)

I've got a better one than that. The day Teddy kicked the ball to me.

I am at training, (must have been 1980 i guess) we are standing in front of the John Gent stand on the terraces and I kicked the ball to my mate. Ted Whitten and Charlie Sutton are standing about 10-15 metres past me looking at a Manila folder. My mate kicks the ball back to me but it goes over my head and bounces toward where EJ and Charlie are standing. Being a cheeky bugger I half turn and yell "excuse me mister but could you kick the ball back please?" The ball bounces and bounces closer towards them and without looking up from the Manila folder EJ moves his foot almost inperceptively toward the bouncing ball and the bloody thing pings at me like a tracer bullet and knocks me off my feet. As I got back up I could hear the two of them giggling and Charlie slaps EJ on the back and says "you've still got it Teddy old son"

I felt honoured to be a part if it all!

kruder
14-09-2018, 10:02 PM
What a boring first half of football. Awful spectacle.

bulldogtragic
14-09-2018, 10:12 PM
What a boring first half of football. Awful spectacle.

Just serving to piss me off. If our guys kept their shit together in 2017 & 2018 we be at least two time, if not three time premiers. Just so disappointing that the standard of the finalists for the last two years weren't a patch of the 2016 premiers. But ah well, too many hot to party too much and we got to rebuild again.

Sedat
14-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Hawks dominated large parts but that shocking Gunston miss late in the 3rd qtr was the turning point. Real momentum shifter. Dees unconvincing tonight for mine - just did enough.

Reckon West Coke with Kennedy and Darling in will do a job on the Dees next week - they both missed the recent game against Melbourne.

Sedat
14-09-2018, 11:29 PM
One of the worst consequences of Melbourne's finals campaign is having to listen to Paul Roos fapping himself silly over them.

Twodogs
15-09-2018, 02:00 AM
One of the worst consequences of Melbourne's finals campaign is having to listen to Paul Roos fapping himself silly over them.

Who cares what he says because you and I and anyone with half a working brain that devotes any time on reflecting on his crap understands the advantages he's been handed in his coaching career.

Paul Roos was a bloody good footballer (even though he knew that if he walked out on Fitzroy when he did then it was basically a death sentence for the club, but he did it anyway) but a shit bloke and a very lucky coach to be provided with the advantages he got.

Bulldog Joe
15-09-2018, 08:55 AM
I went to the game and felt Melbourne took control after they settled, but they kept kicking it to Hawthorn and allowed Hawthorn to keep scoring enough to stay in touch. A dreadful kick from Oliver in the last sent the momentum Hawthorn's way, but Melbourne were able to steady and draw away.

Hawthorn carrying far too many non contributors and Burgoyne looks like his decision to play on is not in the best interest of Hawthorn.

Gawn was the most influential player, but great contribution from Viney, Brayshaw, Tom McDonald and Weideman. The Melbourne lesser lights all managed to contribute at different stages. However, Dom Tyson was responsible for one terrible effort that allowed Puopolo to pick up the ball and ran away to create a goal in the first quarter.

They will approach the West Coast with some confidence, but they need to improve the kicking inside 50.

Twodogs
15-09-2018, 10:11 AM
I went to the game and felt Melbourne took control after they settled, but they kept kicking it to Hawthorn and allowed Hawthorn to keep scoring enough to stay in touch. A dreadful kick from Oliver in the last sent the momentum Hawthorn's way, but Melbourne were able to steady and draw away.

Hawthorn carrying far too many non contributors and Burgoyne looks like his decision to play on is not in the best interest of Hawthorn.

Gawn was the most influential player, but great contribution from Viney, Brayshaw, Tom McDonald and Weideman. The Melbourne lesser lights all managed to contribute at different stages. However, Dom Tyson was responsible for one terrible effort that allowed Puopolo to pick up the ball and ran away to create a goal in the first quarter.

They will approach the West Coast with some confidence, but they need to improve the kicking inside 50.

West Coast aren't really a team that punishes teams for their mistakes.

I thought Hawthorn played quite badly. They didn't really seem to know what their purpose was, were they the team that switched the ball across half back and then sliced you open with elite footskills or were they going to push and shove and create contest after contest? They just ended up looking clumsy and more often than not coughing the ball up in the corridor.

I switched off about halfway through the third quarter. I'm suprised to read that Hawthorn were still a chance in the last quarter.

The Tyson thing in the first quarter when he shit himself like a big, black Alsatian didn't look good.

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 10:42 AM
How good was that left foot goal from 50 from Melksham? Talk about a clutch kick.

azabob
15-09-2018, 10:47 AM
How good was that left foot goal from 50 from Melksham? Talk about a clutch kick.

Yeah it was. He is a much much better player than I thought he was. Dees have done really well in getting Hibbard and Melksham from Essendon.

G-Mo77
15-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah it was. He is a much much better player than I thought he was. Dees have done really well in getting Hibbard and Melksham from Essendon.

Kind of got bashed from all angles when they took Melksham, I probably would have thrown the boots in as well but he's been great for them.

Sedat
15-09-2018, 12:38 PM

I actually saw the game completely differently. Hawthorn dominated field position for most of the 1st half, but panicked so many times in F50 and missed many easy opportunities. The game was even in the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and then Gunston's dreadful miss, which would have reduced the margin to 9 points, completely changed the game - Melbourne piled on 3 goals in the last 3 minutes to open up a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time. Then they were completely dominated by Hawthorn for the first 20 minutes of the last qtr, who again missed a number of great chances in F50. To be fair, Melbourne's last 8 minutes were exceptional when the Hawks got to within 2 goals, but the gulf in class this year between Hawthorn and West Coke/Richmond is vast.

Even though the final margin was bigger this week, I reckon last week flattered Geelong (Melbourne dominated them everywhere except the scoreboard) and this week flattered Melbourne big time.

If Melbourne play like that next week they will lose by 10 goals.

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 01:14 PM

I see him as almost the perfect ten to eighteen spot guy. Not a star, but you can usually rely on his intensity and output.

I think he got ridiculed a bit because he does have that punchable mug, but he's a fine player.

Bulldog Joe
15-09-2018, 02:00 PM
I actually saw the game completely differently. Hawthorn dominated field position for most of the 1st half, but panicked so many times in F50 and missed many easy opportunities. The game was even in the first 15 minutes of the 3rd and then Gunston's dreadful miss, which would have reduced the margin to 9 points, completely changed the game - Melbourne piled on 3 goals in the last 3 minutes to open up a 5 goal lead at 3/4 time. Then they were completely dominated by Hawthorn for the first 20 minutes of the last qtr, who again missed a number of great chances in F50. To be fair, Melbourne's last 8 minutes were exceptional when the Hawks got to within 2 goals, but the gulf in class this year between Hawthorn and West Coke/Richmond is vast.

Even though the final margin was bigger this week, I reckon last week flattered Geelong (Melbourne dominated them everywhere except the scoreboard) and this week flattered Melbourne big time.

If Melbourne play like that next week they will lose by 10 goals.

I know different eyes see different things, but when Melksham kicked the left foot goal the quarter had only been going about 12 minutes. Hawthorn never threatened again. Melbourne dominated at the last 20 minutes.

I concede that the Gunston miss late in the third was huge, but those 2 low contact frees in the last gave Hawthorn more chance than they earned.

Rocket Science
15-09-2018, 05:16 PM
Hahaaa the AFEL still think this shit is funny.

https://preview.ibb.co/dZWWGe/IMG_5090.jpg (https://ibb.co/jzbywe)

I can't wait until he kicks someone's throat in half and we can all revisit this schtick and have a nice old cack.

mjp
15-09-2018, 05:22 PM
I actually saw the game completely differently.

I’m with you Sedat. Hawks were awesome and just kept coming...right up until the Melksham left foot goal. In the last q, Melbourne simply could not exit the ball from f50 and hawthorn’s inability to convert was reminiscent of the 2017 Bulldogs!

McEvoy was fantastic...hawks very good around the clearances but reluctance to just KICK it forward allowed Melbourne’s defensive +1 (oftentimes Lewis) to get involved and impact off the back of the square/contest.

I still say Hawks are good and the biggest factor in their poor outcome after half time last week was the weather which suited the Tigers pressure and hindered the Hawthorn possession style of footy.

In any case, it was a great game and it was really ‘game on’ until the last 6mins or so.

The commentary though...this season we have reached an all time low with ‘story board’ commentary. Last night Melbourne were clearly the story...Tyson caught in a tackle and spun 360degrees at CHB. Flung it from the tackle, dees pick it up, transition chain, goal. No comment. Contact below the knees vs hawks by Lewis? 5 minutes (the game be damned) on what a terrible decision it was. Call out the players names and leave the story telling to the guys on the field.

KT31
15-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Hahaaa the AFEL still think this shit is funny.

https://preview.ibb.co/dZWWGe/IMG_5090.jpg (https://ibb.co/jzbywe)

I can't wait until he kicks someone's throat in half and we can all revisit this schtick and have a nice old cack.

Find it distasteful and disgraceful that the AFL are publicising the game with reference to Greene's marking tactics.
The feral $#@% should be getting weeks and punished not lauded for his actions.
Once again, AFL House has no @#$%ing idea.

Sedat
15-09-2018, 06:44 PM
The commentary though...this season we have reached an all time low with ‘story board’ commentary. Last night Melbourne were clearly the story...Tyson caught in a tackle and spun 360degrees at CHB. Flung it from the tackle, dees pick it up, transition chain, goal. No comment. Contact below the knees vs hawks by Lewis? 5 minutes (the game be damned) on what a terrible decision it was. Call out the players names and leave the story telling to the guys on the field.
Ahh yes, the dreaded 'narrarive'. I hate this concept so much and Ch 7 (unsurprisingly) are by far the worst culprits. It extends to players as well as clubs - last night Jack Viney was the prodigal son who could do no wrong even when executing a simple skill.

Not sure if anyone caught last night that Melbourne like to play 'chaos' football and Hawthorn 'control' football. Luckily we had BT and Ling reminding us 300 times over the course of the match. Ch 7 are just a bunch of pricks who use the actual game as a vehicle to promote their deadshit personalities - they make the simple pleasure of watching a game of footy almost unbearable, and they don't give a shit because they know we have no choice other than to listen to their asshole commentators.

josie
15-09-2018, 08:08 PM
I turned the sound off after quarter time and it was so much more bearable. Ling and Bruce are silly, inane sychophants. Brian has the IQ and vocabulary of a 3 yo. Gotta say this year’s finals are kinda boring-last week’s wet toast vs pies an ok game but the other few I have watched bits of are a yawnfest IMO. And Barnsey for half time entertainment - stick him back in the formalin jar ple-e-e-ease.....

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 08:19 PM
And Barnsey for half time entertainment - stick him back in the formalin jar ple-e-e-ease.....

My only problem with Jimmy is that his voice is shot. As far as actual relevant star quality goes he's a good choice.

Cold Chisel a better choice. Bow River would be unbelievable.

Would also love ACDC or Midnight Oil, but maybe that's a bridge too far.

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 08:36 PM
I really like Collingwood. I like a lot of their players and I like the way they play.

That Mihocek kid has been a find.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2018, 08:54 PM
May I say, cmon Collingwood. Another season with all the money and hand fed top end talent, end in elimination for GWS.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-09-2018, 08:58 PM
This is without bias but man is the quality of finals post 2016 deplorable. Just think back to the games played in 2016 and prior. The last two seasons are shocking

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 09:23 PM
Surely GWS can't leave Buntine on De Goey. He's nowhere near him.

AndrewP6
15-09-2018, 09:27 PM
My only problem with Jimmy is that his voice is shot. As far as actual relevant star quality goes he's a good choice.

You know Barnesy is Cold Chisel’s lead singer, right? If his voice is shot (which I completely disagree with), he’d be be out in front of Chisel with it. He’ll put on a great show.

bornadog
15-09-2018, 09:28 PM
Some inaccurate kicking could be costly

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 09:31 PM
You know Barnesy is Cold Chisel’s lead singer, right? If his voice is shot (which I completely disagree with), he’d be be out in front of Chisel with it. He’ll put on a great show.

Wow. Thank you for that information. I didn't know:).

My point is that I think Jimmy's voice is shot, but if you're going to have him, then reach further into your pockets and get the whole band. At least then the back and forth vocals might not make him sound so bad.

I like Jimmy plenty. But have you heard him sing lately? There's no doubt he'll "put on a great show (effort has never been his letdown)", but his voice is shot. Disagree if you like, but you'll be wrong.

azabob
15-09-2018, 09:55 PM
GWS grinding this out. Toby Greene so far unsighted.

Old mate Griffen did some heavy lifting early in the 2nd quarter to get them going.

How much would Coginilo be worth on the open market?

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 10:05 PM
GWS grinding this out. Toby Greene so far unsighted.

Old mate Griffen did some heavy lifting early in the 2nd quarter to get them going.

How much would Coginilo be worth on the open market?

Pies kick two quick ones. Have they weathered the storm?

Coniglio is a jet. One please.

azabob
15-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Pies kick two quick ones. Have they weathered the storm?

Coniglio is a jet. One please.

Pies took their opportunities early in the last quarter, Giants didn’t.

Cameron, Greene, Lobb, Shiel very poor for the Giants.

AndrewP6
15-09-2018, 10:48 PM

My point is that I think Jimmy's voice is shot, but if you're going to have him, then reach further into your pockets and get the whole band. At least then the back and forth vocals might not make him sound so bad.

I like Jimmy plenty. But have you heard him sing lately? There's no doubt he'll "put on a great show (effort has never been his letdown)", but his voice is shot. Disagree if you like, but you'll be wrong.

Hahaha. Agree to disagree.

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 10:48 PM
Hahaha. Agree to disagree.

No worries. I say that when I'm wrong too :) :) :).

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Pies took their opportunities early in the last quarter, Giants didn’t.

Cameron, Greene, Lobb, Shiel very poor for the Giants.

Yep. An abject failure by their top line players. Greene thoroughly blanketed by Maynard. Good.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-09-2018, 10:52 PM
Seriously low quality for a final

Hotdog60
15-09-2018, 10:52 PM
I'm happy with that result but gee I feel dirty.
Excuse me while I go for a very long shower.

bulldogtragic
15-09-2018, 10:55 PM
My heart goes out to you GWS. Sitting at the 2016 prelim with your stupid newspaper front cover, ‘it’s our time’. Well it’s still not your time; see you in 2019 less Dylan Shiel after another failed finals despite being gifted the money and players.

I imagine Gryphone & Lids will go down a level next year, Shiel and maybe more gone. Not looking great you plastic nothings.

Twodogs
15-09-2018, 10:56 PM
Seriously low quality for a final

Happy with the result though,

bornadog
15-09-2018, 10:59 PM
I think the Pies can win next week.

Twodogs
15-09-2018, 11:00 PM

Doesn't Mossy sing Bow River? Barnes sort of grunts and moans during bits of it but Mossy sings most of it. Add Saturday night and Khe Sahn and it's problem solved.

Problem solved really.

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 11:15 PM
Doesn't Mossy sing Bow River? Barnes sort of grunts and moans during bits of it but Mossy sings most of it. Add Saturday night and Khe Sahn and it's problem solved.

Problem solved really.

Isn't that basically what I'm saying?

merantau
15-09-2018, 11:26 PM
GWS found wanting - again. Greene - basically unsighted. Cameron missed the easy shot at a vital time. Lobbed got schooled by Grundy.
Pies can beat Richmond. Demons can beat Cokes so ... It's back to the 1950s!

EasternWest
15-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Griffen has retired.

ReLoad
15-09-2018, 11:42 PM
Griffen has retired.

The guy is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.

What could have been......

AndrewP6
15-09-2018, 11:43 PM
No worries. I say that when I'm wrong too :) :) :).

I'm happy to let you believe you're right. 😄

AndrewP6
15-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Very enjoyable night watching the Plastic Franchise go down again.

GVGjr
16-09-2018, 12:03 AM
Griffen has retired.

He was quite a player, wish him the best.

bornadog
16-09-2018, 12:24 AM

Shame he didn't finish up a one club player.

Dry Rot
16-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Griffen has retired.

Shame he wasn't selected to play tonight. Could have made a difference.

The Doctor
16-09-2018, 01:08 AM
I've never enjoyed a Collingwood win so much.

Jeremy Cameron lol! Norf should go after him.

jeemak
16-09-2018, 01:25 AM
I've never enjoyed a Collingwood win so much.

Jeremy Cameron lol! Norf should go after him.

I feel dirty watching the replay now just to see the Giants get done. There's just not enough mongrel in the Giants when it counts, it's like they have too many good players and not enough good ordinary players.

Al Clarkson talked about all of the good teams of the last few years being system based teams that have players all doing roles within a set structure. It's like the Giants rely on the parts to create a result rather than the result dictating what the parts need to do, if that makes sense.

jeemak
16-09-2018, 01:45 AM
As an aside, the AFL would have been licking its lips at the prospect of Griffen joining the Giants and deserting a club that it has marginalised over time. It was a boon for them, and it actually in my view, drove a lot of the negative media we received for taking Boyd as retribution for the defection in light of much of the AFL media being City Hall acolytes.

History will look at that point in time well and truly in favour of the Bulldogs. All of the stories will be about Boyd's heroic efforts in the last two weeks of September 2016, and our gutsy decision to back his acquisition with a large contract and not lay prone whilst the league backed construction walked all over us.

Every day this group of GWS players don't succeed is another we should celebrate. We beat City Hall in the most important battle of our recent existence.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2018, 08:49 AM
if Collingwood can be a little more efficient on their conversion from shots on goal, they have a great chance to knock Richmond off. They bat deep through the middle, have a good defensive group to match up on Richmond and can get goals from a few players up front with DeGoey needing another good game.

Buckley follows the Hardwick storyline of being under the pump externally and delivering.

DOG GOD
16-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Would love to see a pies/demons GF and I imagine Gill would too ;)

Greystache
16-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Is Jeremy Cameron the most consistently shit finals player out of all the "stars" in the AFL? He does a disappearing act every September.

For such an arrogant turd he sure doesn't back it up.

Go_Dogs
16-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Is Jeremy Cameron the most consistently shit finals player out of all the "stars" in the AFL? He does a disappearing act every September.

It's become his trademark. Well, that teams trademark really.

azabob
16-09-2018, 10:22 AM
It's become his trademark. Well, that teams trademark really.

When do they lose patience with Leon Cameron?

GVGjr
16-09-2018, 10:48 AM
A Richmond vs Collingwood and West Coast vs Melbourne preliminary finals will be sellouts and the AFL will be chuffed with potentially the largest ever attended finals series.

Like it or not it's been a massive year for the AFL

Twodogs
16-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Isn't that basically what I'm saying?

Yeah, but no, but yeah, but...

He would have been remembered as a better player if he had stayed at the Bulldogs and tried to improve them rather than taking the simple way out and gone to another club to gain success. I think the footy world doesn't rate players like Griffen exactly because he bailed on the club that gave him a go, backed him to the hilt and gave him every chance to succeed only to for him walk out and try and take the easy way to success. There may be a very few people who think that's an apporopriate way to repay faith that's been shown in you but thankfully the vast majority of us sees that sort of behaviour as selfish and arent preperad to reward it. We still value one club players.

Yep.

Ozza
16-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Thought the umpiring was amongst the worst I’ve seen outside of Perth. GWS got the roughest end of it I’ve seen.

FrediKanoute
16-09-2018, 05:25 PM
When do they lose patience with Leon Cameron?

I can see GWS pulling off a coup and throwing bucks at Clarkson to get them to the next level.

chef
16-09-2018, 05:27 PM
I can see the AFL pulling off a coup and helping GWS throw big bucks at Clarkson to get them to the next level.

More like it.

Flamethrower
16-09-2018, 06:04 PM

He did. He played for one club and one plastic franchise.

Twodogs
16-09-2018, 07:36 PM
He did. He played for one club and one plastic franchise.

Yep, he was a one 'proper club' player.

Pickenitup
16-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Any woofers going to any prelims?

bornadog
16-09-2018, 08:11 PM
A Richmond vs Collingwood and West Coast vs Melbourne preliminary finals will be sellouts and the AFL will be chuffed with potentially the largest ever attended finals series.

Like it or not it's been a massive year for the AFL

Other than the finals series, the AFL admin has had a shocker

The Underdog
16-09-2018, 08:15 PM

One of the many things I hate about GWS is that since the start they’ve played the game with a total unearned arrogance. They’re a massively talented list with no capacity to beat a disciplined opponent with a strong game plan.

bornadog
21-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Pies on fire - I hope they can knock Richmond off, I am sick of their supporters.

The Underdog
21-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Holy shit. That was a super impressive quarter from the Pies.

westdog54
21-09-2018, 09:30 PM
Richmond are in deep doo-doo.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Far out. Mason Cox is having a Tom Boyd game.

westdog54
21-09-2018, 09:34 PM
I thought Msson Cox played the game of his life on Queens Birthday.

I'm revising that stance.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 09:34 PM
I thought Msson Cox played the game of his life on Queens Birthday.

I'm revising that stance.

And right on cue takes a screamer and goals.

bornadog
21-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Far out. Mason Cox is having a Tom Boyd game.

Tigers lack talls in the backline.

westdog54
21-09-2018, 09:39 PM
This is insane.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 09:39 PM
Tigers lack talls in the backline.

He's clunked three tough contested marks as well as the easy ones. Give him some credit, he's playing sensationally.

chef
21-09-2018, 09:46 PM
This is marvelous

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 09:47 PM
I remember thinking Brisbane were high to offer a three year deal to Cox, and that Collingwood did enough to keep him. It's only one game, but they saw something that I didn't see until tonight.

The Wild West Derby in Texas is back on.

bornadog
21-09-2018, 09:48 PM
This is marvelous

I am loving it

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 09:49 PM
This is marvelous

I don't smoke anymore, but I'm tempted to scurry down to the 7/11 and light up a dart. It's satisfyingly marvellous.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Is there a more low key jet in the league than Sidebottom? Just a cracker.

azabob
21-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Is there a more low key jet in the league than Sidebottom? Just a cracker.

No. Perhaps MaCrae.
But Sidebottom is at another level.

The Underdog
21-09-2018, 10:03 PM
No. Perhaps MaCrae.
But Sidebottom is at another level.

Foot skills are a separator.
Richmond started to get some control back there but it’s a looooooong way back

DOG GOD
21-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Great to see...let’s hope the pies continue on strong and win by 12 goals or more.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-09-2018, 10:07 PM
What a first half.

Testekill
21-09-2018, 10:12 PM
I was hoping that Rance would get KO'd but this is even better. Exposing him as a fraud

azabob
21-09-2018, 10:12 PM
What is worse Richmond’s arrogant supporters or Twodogs being right about Richmond being pretenders?

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 10:13 PM
What is worse Richmond’s arrogant supporters or Twodogs being right about Richmond being pretenders?

Twodogs. Always Twodogs.

Sorry, what was the question again?

bornadog
21-09-2018, 10:17 PM
I was hoping that Rance would get KO'd but this is even better. Exposing him as a fraud

I am with you on that one

westdog54
21-09-2018, 10:20 PM
Jordan De Goey is giving "the league's best fullback" an absolute bath.

SquirrelGrip
21-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Tigers don’t need Lynch from the Suns - they need May at fullback.

Caddy, Prestia, Cotchin, Hoult have all gone missing tonight.

Topdog
21-09-2018, 10:26 PM
Can't believe what I'm seeing

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 10:29 PM
Richmond definitely lifted, but surely too far back.

Would be a crime for Pies to lose from here. Cox absolutely dominant.

DOG GOD
21-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Surely pies just need 2 last qtr goals to be safe

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 10:48 PM
So who does Tom Lynch want to play for right now?

azabob
21-09-2018, 10:49 PM
So who does Tom Lynch want to play for right now?

Hopefully the Hawks

bornadog
21-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Jordan De Goey is giving "the league's most overrated fullback" an absolute bath.

Correction made

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Tigers go bye bye.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Sidebottom is ridiculous.

hujsh
21-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Commentary made the point that Pies were 13th last year and Tigers 13th the year before.

Who finished 13th this year again?

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 11:20 PM
Commentary made the point that Pies were 13th last year and Tigers 13th the year before.

Please ask/tell Chad Wingard on Twitter or Instagram.

azabob
21-09-2018, 11:21 PM

My mind went straight there also when I heard it.

EasternWest
21-09-2018, 11:21 PM
Please ask/tell Chad Wingard on Twitter or Instagram.

I imagine all Port players are on social media lock down after Powell Pepper's whoopsie today.

azabob
21-09-2018, 11:22 PM
I imagine all Port players are on social media lock down after Powell Pepper's whoopsie today.

What did he do?

bulldogtragic
21-09-2018, 11:23 PM

So I read. Feel free to post the image just so we can understand the news, if you have it.

jeemak
21-09-2018, 11:26 PM
My Vietnamese clients didn't really have much care for preliminary finals, organising DC tours after 5pm local time...……

Disappointed to miss this.

I think it's silly to be calling Richmond pretenders, making a GF is hard work.

FYI - I'd be steering well clear of the inner city tonight because bashings caused by happiness and despair are bashings nonetheless.

ledge
21-09-2018, 11:28 PM
Cox and Grundy were great tonight . I’m happy the pies won , Richmond fans were getting very cocky over recent weeks it was driving me nuts.