PDA

View Full Version : Our ruck stocks for 2019

whythelongface
28-08-2018, 10:21 AM
Bevo in the past seems to have been ambivalent about the ruck (not sure if this actually true or just reading into this). Not sure if this is due to lack of options, or the thought that winning clearances negates the role of the ruck. I feel that towards the latter half of the year that Bevo may have changed his position on this (that is if he even thought this in the first instance) and that the role of a ruckman is not only important at stoppages but also critical around the ground eg. Gawn has been outstanding. Nankervis has also been good at the Tigers.

Moving into next year and with the likely departure of Roughead as well as Campbell it appears that we will head into 2019 (at this stage) with Trengove, English and Boyd as our rucking options.
- English certainly showed some potential prior to his injury, however is still very young and learning his craft. Thus suspect he will spend a fair bit more time down at Footscray next year.
-Trengove has been very good since he moved into the ruck role, particularly around the ground. Thus will more than likely be our first option heading into next year.
- Boyd - Bevo has also persisted with Boyd when he has been fit. However, like others have stated, I think that Boyd would be best served spending time forward and pinch hitting in the ruck when required (maybe 5 mins a qtr).

This poses some questions heading into the draft:
1/ do we trade for a ruck man? someone like Lycett springs to mind (seems to be some discussion in the media that he will be on the move) or
2/ do we go into 2019 with the three options (Trengove/ English/ Boyd)? this to me seems to be an undermanned ruck department particularly if one or two are injured.

What other potential recruits are available that are likely in or near enough to be in our best 22? Do we also look at the draft for another ruck option - maybe a late smoky?

GVGjr
28-08-2018, 10:33 AM
I think I read something on the weekend that we have some interest in Lycett.
Perhaps because he is decent when resting in the forward line this might appeal to Bevo.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Great thread WTLF.

If they were all to remain fit all year, which is unlikely, the trio of Trengove, English and Boyd doing some resting time for the others is enough. But being a realist, and as you say, injuries are likely and will expose the depth. I refuse to think about rucking Bonts, or even Dunk's or Jong again. Enough with this Bevo.

So I think we need to look at options about whose out there. Lycett has been rumoured to get an offer of $700,000 from St Kilda. If true, we just can't match that. If that happens, maybe we can target Billy Longer at St Kilda as he falls down their pecking order. Another might be Pruess at North. Even though he can't crack a game, I suspect North will want a lot. If Nicholls from GCS came on a dirt cheap as chips contract, that might be cover, although I'm not his biggest fan. Zach Clarke might be a depth option, and a free agent from memory. Then there's the state leagues if we can see something to develop into something a bit better than cover.

But at the end of the day, Power almost has to hand this decision to Bevo. Because if Bevo won't play them, then we are where we are now with Campbell taking a list spot and salary cap space for no games whatsoever. So hopefully Bevo can find something he likes, and would be prepared to select and play because I think we need to replace at least one of Camhead with another ruck.

whythelongface
28-08-2018, 02:50 PM
$700K is way overs for Lycett. He would be handy but not with that coin. Trengove and a developing English are probably our priorities in the ruck along with Boyd. However we do need some depth, but at a reasonable price. I would rather pay overs on a hard running fast midfielder with elite skills ala Gaff or Shiel.

Happy Days
28-08-2018, 03:13 PM
Yeah not interested in Lycett. I just don't see any upside in his game and he isn't any better than a median ruckman.

He got totally bodied by Gawn two weeks ago, which is fine if you're being paid as a middling player, but makes no sense if you're being brought in on top dollar. To paraphrase Bart Simpson, how are you meant to catch up by going slower than someone else?

In sum its a move that the Saints would make so best leave it to them to do it.

bornadog
28-08-2018, 03:16 PM
How many rucks should we have on our list?

Rocket Science
28-08-2018, 04:09 PM

I reckon Bevo would answer "none".

He wants a guy who can compete at ball ups but is really a 6'6 ruck rover. And he's got him in English.

LostDoggy
28-08-2018, 07:12 PM
IMO we have enough rucks. Naughton's rapid development back and Trengove's decent ruck form and average form in defence means Trengove may ruck a fair bit.

That leaves English and Boyd competing for the fwd/ ruck role. Boyd has missed about half of the last two seasons and English had a bone stress and is young. Reckon that will be enough.

May rookie a state league ruck as a cheap break glass in case of emergency type.

Assume Rough and Campbell are done.

Unless something drastic occurs with Boyd and if English stays fit and develops as expected I can see Boyd playing a fair bit of VFL for the remainder of his contract.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Was chatting to a few mates about this today.

I'm pretty comfortable heading into 2019 with Trengove, English, Boyd and Schache and possibly adding a developing ruck via the rookie list. English was tracking OK before his injury, while Trengove and Boyd have both demonstrated an ability to shoulder a big load in the ruck. Schache is a break glass prospect, but can spend 5 minutes here and there when required.

SonofScray
28-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Three ruckmen is enough, surely?

I suppose you could argue that one of Boyd/Trengove aren't really ruckmen, so we could try pinch a cheapie for cover. I can't see anyone at that price worth getting that would be happy to potentially sit behind the three mentioned anyway. May as well hold onto Campbell at that point.

hujsh
28-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Get someone one the rookie list as coverage. Trengove English and Rookie with Boyd as the emergency and/or pinch hitter should be OK.

Every year people say we have plenty of rucks and every year we have the pleasure of watching Bontempelli take the centre ruck bounce. A durable backup would be worth the rookie spot even if it's just to protect our mids

GVGjr
28-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Was chatting to a few mates about this today.

I'm pretty comfortable heading into 2019 with Trengove, English, Boyd and Schache and possibly adding a developing ruck via the rookie list. English was tracking OK before his injury, while Trengove and Boyd have both demonstrated an ability to shoulder a big load in the ruck. Schache is a break glass prospect, but can spend 5 minutes here and there when required.
I'd rather carry an extra ruck option each year because I dont think using players like Redpath, Bontempelli, Jong and Dunkley works well enough in big games.

English, Trengove, Boyd and Schache is one player light in my opinion.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-08-2018, 10:57 PM

If Roughy goes we are effectively down to just two ruck men in English and Trengrove. Boyd has simply failed to impress since the 2016 final series. A tall order given English’s relative inexperience to be able to compete with the likes of Gawn and Grundy. The responsibility on Tim is massive to take over the mantle of number one ruck man. Trengrove in the past 6 weeks has been a great back up support in the ruck and a key factor in our recent successes. We are stuck with Boyd given his long term contract and given his poor ruck work looks better suited to playing forward. Unless we can attract a ruck man to match the more experienced ruck men
in the top teams it might be better to stick with the status quo.

boydogs
28-08-2018, 11:37 PM
English, Trengove, Boyd and Schache is one player light in my opinion.

Agree. Trengove's best spot is ruck but if both Roughead & Campbell are going we need one back

bornadog
28-08-2018, 11:51 PM
I can see Boyd playing a fair bit of VFL for the remainder of his contract.

I can't

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 06:29 AM
Agree. Trengove's best spot is ruck but if both Roughead & Campbell are going we need one back

Ideally we need someone who could potentially play in more than one position but I do think if we go into next season with just English, Trengove and Boyd we are taking an unnecessary risk.

Bulldog Revolution
29-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Ideally we need someone who could potentially play in more than one position but I do think if we go into next season with just English, Trengove and Boyd we are taking an unnecessary risk.

Thats why I'd like to keep Roughie

Topdog
29-08-2018, 11:18 AM
Just grab one in the rookie list

Mofra
29-08-2018, 01:05 PM
I've mentioned Zac Clarke from the WAFL as cover for 2 years until English is fully ready. 29 by round 1 next year, seemed to have gotten over his knee issues. Was outstanding a few years ago when Sandi was out for the year at Freo. I think we do need cover.

Trengove finished the season well but is a 197cm spare parts man (who else could have stopped Dixon in Ballarat? Trenners was needed in the ruck that day though) and Boyd is 'sometimes adequate' in the ruck at best and in Bevo's own words will be more of a KPF from age 25 onwards.

English will rival Gawn and Grundy as one of the best rucks in the game, he will be that good but will take time. I'm not sure he's a 22-week proposition at AFL level next year.

bornadog
29-08-2018, 01:08 PM
I remember MJP saying we should always have a young ruck being developed on the list.

Should we be looking at a rookie ruckman?

Mofra
29-08-2018, 01:10 PM
I remember MJP saying we should always have a young ruck being developed on the list.

Should we be looking at a rookie ruckman?
Bailey Williams might slide - would confuse the hell out of commentators and has shown genuine forward craft as well. Win/win

whythelongface
29-08-2018, 01:23 PM
I've mentioned Zac Clarke from the WAFL as cover for 2 years until English is fully ready. 29 by round 1 next year, seemed to have gotten over his knee issues. Was outstanding a few years ago when Sandi was out for the year at Freo. I think we do need cover.

Trengove finished the season well but is a 197cm spare parts man (who else could have stopped Dixon in Ballarat? Trenners was needed in the ruck that day though) and Boyd is 'sometimes adequate' in the ruck at best and in Bevo's own words will be more of a KPF from age 25 onwards.

English will rival Gawn and Grundy as one of the best rucks in the game, he will be that good but will take time. I'm not sure he's a 22-week proposition at AFL level next year.

That would be a good option IMO. He is from Victoria originally and would be a relatively cheap back up solution and use a late selection to draft him (or through the PSD). Wonder if he is on anyones radar or keen to put his hand up to be selected on an AFL list.

Axe Man
29-08-2018, 02:36 PM
That would be a good option IMO. He is from Victoria originally and would be a relatively cheap back up solution and use a late selection to draft him (or through the PSD). Wonder if he is on anyones radar or keen to put his hand up to be selected on an AFL list.

He was mentioned as an option West Coast are looking at along with Roughy and everyone else tall and drawing breath.

My view is we need a cheap backup ready to go ruckman in case of injuries should Camhead depart. English is our raw, young developing ruckman, we don't need another. Clarke would be a good option, otherwise another unwanted AFL ruckman or state league option.

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 05:31 PM

That is they ideal type.

bornadog
29-08-2018, 05:32 PM
That is they ideal type.

May as well keep Soup.

jeemak
29-08-2018, 05:55 PM
I say we keep Campbell for one more year if he's willing to stick around, particularly if there's no cheap as chips option we can recruit from the state leagues.

We already have a developing ruck in English.

GVGjr
29-08-2018, 06:07 PM
May as well keep Soup.

He can't play in enough positions. Roughead would be the better option

jeemak
29-08-2018, 06:40 PM

He'll field better offers elsewhere, one would think, whereas Campbell probably won't.

hujsh
29-08-2018, 08:05 PM

Rough can barely play a half in the ruck. Though Bevo seems at least willing to pick him. Someone durable would be nice

lemmon
29-08-2018, 11:34 PM
I like the idea of picking a ready-made ruck on the rookie list for cover but realistically, with Bevo as coach, is there any point?

Bevo obviously looks for something pretty particular in his rucks and if Campbell couldn't get a look in this year when the cupboard was bare, I'm not sure a state leaguer will offer much else

Bulldog4life
30-08-2018, 10:45 AM

He will be on his second contract then.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Clarke would be a solid option.

We definitely need another option with Roughy/Campbell seemingly gone.

I don't want Boyd spending more than 5 minutes in the ruck next season and beyond.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-08-2018, 04:48 PM
May as well keep Soup.

I can not see it happening. Bevo has had many opportunities to play Campbell after his dominance in the VFL over the past two years but he obviously isn’t on his radar.

lemmon
30-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Preuss being shopped around by North according to AFL.com. I'd be very, very interested

soupman
31-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Preuss being shopped around by North according to AFL.com. I'd be very, very interested

Not sure on him. Would be behind english as a main ruck, behind trengove as the hybrid ruck and probably even pegging with Boyd.

Would cost to much then to either not be playing/Boyd costs to much to out in the reserves for a neglibke upgrade.

Also if he was any good North would've found a way to use him. Fringe players are fringe for a reason

hujsh
31-08-2018, 11:36 AM
Not sure on him. Would be behind english as a main ruck, behind trengove as the hybrid ruck and probably even pegging with Boyd.

Would cost to much then to either not be playing/Boyd costs to much to out in the reserves for a neglibke upgrade.

Also if he was any good North would've found a way to use him. Fringe players are fringe for a reason

If there's an exception to this it's the ruck position.

GVGjr
31-08-2018, 12:44 PM
If there's an exception to this it's the ruck position.

Agreed, I'm more than happy enough to carry an additional ruckman.