PDA

View Full Version : Vale Ian Bluey Hampshire

ledge
03-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Was just informed Bluey passed away, he had contracted pneumonia recently.
The last few years he had been in a wheelchair in an aged care home , still loved his bulldogs and was the one of the most loved and respected player/ coaches at the club.
Sad news for those who remember his big heart and how he stuck with us and stood up in a difficult era.

bornadog
03-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Bit of a shock, loved his time at the club - RIP

ledge
03-09-2018, 05:54 PM
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.geelongadvertiser.com.au/news/geelong/ian-bluey-hampshire-tackles-life-after-a-severe-stroke/news-story/0ca288aab0c60e8fdb6cda3bcdd36e49

Twodogs
03-09-2018, 06:52 PM
RIP Bluey and thanks for those last 11 games in 1982 and all of 1983. One of my favorite memories is Bluey disappearing up the race after we'd pulled off a big upset against Hawthorn at Whitten oval. It was back in the days when the crowd ran onto the ground after the game. We were out on the ground chanting "we love Bluey" when his huge fist rose above everyone's head (he was a big man) and punched the air in celebration. It was one of the most joyous things I have ever seen.

Ian Hampshire helped to save us, he took over as coach when we were teetering on the edge and gave us our pride back. We loved you Bluey.

GVGjr
03-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Good player and a very nice man.

Condolences to his friends and family

EasternWest
03-09-2018, 07:40 PM
Was just informed Bluey passed away, he had contracted pneumonia recently.
The last few years he had been in a wheelchair in an aged care home , still loved his bulldogs and was the one of the most loved and respected player/ coaches at the club.
Sad news for those who remember his big heart and how he stuck with us and stood up in a difficult era.

Thanks Ledge for filling us in and for your nice words.

AndrewP6
03-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Very sad to read this. Met him when I was a young pup. RIP Bluey.

Bulldog Revolution
03-09-2018, 08:52 PM
The very first bulldog book I owned Bluey was our coach and Geoff Jennings our captain- I think it was called Carn the Scray - I still have it somewhere - in our family it is as important as artefacts get

strebla
03-09-2018, 10:11 PM
One of my earlies memories was watching hm getting chaired off as playing coach. Love the big hearted man RIP big fella

Prince Imperial
03-09-2018, 11:29 PM
It was tough times to be a young Bulldog supporter in the early 80s but Bluey always made me proud to be one. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

Here's the great man in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEkBUW-VXV0

NoseBleed
04-09-2018, 01:41 AM
Will never forget Bluey's second game as a coach, his first at the Western Oval. We were getting an even deeper bath the usual from the umps in the 1st quarter, and at 1/4 time Bluey came down from the box and hit the ground at the run.

Approaching the umps was verboten, but he ran past the playing group and headed straight for the ump group in the middle of the ground.

I thought was was going to head straight out to his centre square territory and confront them, but he got to the magic line at the edge of the square, propped, stopped, shook a fist, gave 'em a loud, long distance piece of his mind, insulted them, insulted their mothers, their sisters and their aunties, suggested an anatomical impossibility, and explained via gestures how far and at what speed he'd like to shove his clenched fist up each of their arses (individually, and with gusto). Then he wheeled round, and ambled over to his playing group. Having stood slack jawed and watched his gut driven display of defence for them, the group opened up for him, then closed around him like the Emperors Guards. They already loved him, but now he was a lock as coach. The crowd went wild (the ones in red white and blue), and we went on from four goal down to win by 15 points.

He had the players, and the supporters well before that. We loved him just for stepping up and taking the job. But he was a rock solid legend from that moment on.

Vale Bluey, thanks for the memories.

bornadog
04-09-2018, 08:54 AM
I just looked up his record and I was a little surprised. I always thought he played more games for Geelong than us, but they wee about equal in games.

Record

Ian Hampshire

Personal information

Full name
Ian Hampshire

Date of birth
9 May 1948 (age 70)

Original team(s)
Portland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Football_Club)

Height
196 cm (6 ft 5 in)

Weight
104 kg (229 lb)

Playing career1

Years
Club
Games (Goals)

1968–1975
Geelong (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geelong_Football_Club)
113 (22)

1976–1982
Footscray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Bulldogs)
111 (73)

Total

224 (95)

Coaching career

Years
Club
Games (W–L–D)

1982–1983
Footscray (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Bulldogs)
34 (12–22–0)

ledge
04-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Will never forget Bluey's second game as a coach, his first at the Western Oval. We were getting an even deeper bath the usual from the umps in the 1st quarter, and at 1/4 time Bluey came down from the box and hit the ground at the run.

Approaching the umps was verboten, but he ran past the playing group and headed straight for the ump group in the middle of the ground.

I thought was was going to head straight out to his centre square territory and confront them, but he got to the magic line at the edge of the square, propped, stopped, shook a fist, gave 'em a loud, long distance piece of his mind, insulted them, insulted their mothers, their sisters and their aunties, suggested an anatomical impossibility, and explained via gestures how far and at what speed he'd like to shove his clenched fist up each of their arses (individually, and with gusto). Then he wheeled round, and ambled over to his playing group. Having stood slack jawed and watched his gut driven display of defence for them, the group opened up for him, then closed around him like the Emperors Guards. They already loved him, but now he was a lock as coach. The crowd went wild (the ones in red white and blue), and we went on from four goal down to win by 15 points.

He had the players, and the supporters well before that. We loved him just for stepping up and taking the job. But he was a rock solid legend from that moment on.

Vale Bluey, thanks for the memories.

We tried our hardest to get him to coach again but he just didn’t want to. The players were in the palm of his hand.

azabob
04-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Thanks NoseBleed.

Does anyone know how come he left?

I was only 3 at the time so looking back at the Record books I assumed he was sacked. But reading a couple of posts this doesn’t appear to be the case?

Twodogs
04-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Thanks NoseBleed.

Does anyone know how come he left?

I was only 3 at the time so looking back at the Record books I assumed he was sacked. But reading a couple of posts this doesn’t appear to be the case?

He was sacked because Malthouse finally said 'yes' to us. It was only 3 weeks before the season started and the club came up with a BS excuse that we found out that he was acting as the ruck coach at Geelong while he was our senior coach but we had known that all along.

We had almost appointed Malthouse the season before but the supporters found out and were about to burn the Whitten stand down in protest so the club changed its mind and reappointed Bluey. Ledge is right the players just adored him.

Axe Man
05-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Bulldogs mourn loss of Ian Hampshire (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-09-05/bulldogs-mourn-loss-of-ian-hampshire)

Former Geelong and Footscray ruckman Ian Hampshire, who went on to coach the Bulldogs, has passed away after battling illness.

Hampshire, a hugely popular figure at both clubs, played 224 games. In reaching 113 games with the Cats and 111 with the Bulldogs, Hampshire became the first player in league history to surpass 100 games with two clubs.

“Bluey was a much-loved player and past player of the club,” Geelong CEO Brian Cook said.

“He was an exceptional player and a lovely person. The affection felt by those that played with and against him is a mark of both Ian as a player and a person.”

There was major symmetry in Hampshire’s career. He made his debut in 1968 for Geelong against the Bulldogs, while his Footscray debut came against the Cats in 1976. Hampshire’s 150th league game was for the Dogs against the Cats and his one final for Footscray also came against Geelong.

Known to most as ‘Bluey’, Hampshire represented Victoria in 1981. He was runner up in Footscray’s Best and Fairest in 1980 and third in 1981. He also finished fourth in the Cats’ Best and Fairest in 1972.

Hampshire retired half way through the 1982 season and took up the role of Bulldogs senior coach until the end of the 1983 campaign.

“Ian made a big impact at the Bulldogs on and off the field, and is one of a small number to have had the opportunity of playing and coaching at the Club,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“He was an influential and respected player and person, and clearly left a positive mark on both Geelong and the Western Bulldogs.”

Ian is survived by his wife Jan, his son James and grandson James Jr, and by his daughter Raelee, son-in-law Geoff and granddaughters Elitta and Jamima.

bornadog
05-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Tributes flow for Ian Hampshire (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tributes-flow-for-ian-hampshire-20180905-p501vm.html)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.232%2C$multiply_1%2C$ratio_1.776846%2C$width_1059%2C $x_0%2C$y_88/t_crop_custom/w_768/t_sharpen%2Cq_auto%2Cf_auto/8936260e804c3b5afd0211ab844bda8632ea2229

Geelong and the Western Bulldogs have paid tribute to former ruckman Ian Hampshire who died aged 70 after a short battle with illness.

Hampshire was the first player to play 100 games with two clubs, playing 113 games with Geelong and 111 with Footscray.

He made his debut with the Cats in 1968 as a 20-year-old against Footscray but switched to Footscray in 1976 to play in the ruck alongside Gary Dempsey, coincidentally playing against Geelong in his first game with the Bulldogs.

He played in two finals but was part of the losing team on both occasions, with the Cats beating Footscray in the 1976 elimination final.

Known as ‘Bluey’ Hampshire, he represented Victoria in 1981 after being runner up in Footscray’s best and fairest in 1980 and finishing third in 1981. He also finished fourth in the Cats best and fairest in 1972.

He took over from Royce Hart as Bulldogs' coach in 1982 and stayed until the end of 1983 before Mick Malthouse took over as coach in 1984.

Cats' CEO Brian Cook said Hampshire was a much-loved former player.

"He was an exceptional player and a lovely person. The affection felt by those that played with and against him is a mark of both Ian as a player and a person," Cook said.

Western Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains passed on his condolences to Hampshire's family.

"Ian made a big impact at the Bulldogs on and off the field, and is one of a small number to have had the opportunity of playing and coaching at the club," said Bains.

KT31
05-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Vale Bluey.

He was sacked because Malthouse finally said 'yes' to us. It was only 3 weeks before the season started and the club came up with a BS excuse that we found out that he was acting as the ruck coach at Geelong while he was our senior coach but we had known that all along.

We had almost appointed Malthouse the season before but the supporters found out and were about to burn the Whitten stand down in protest so the club changed its mind and reappointed Bluey. Ledge is right the players just adored him.
I remember as a Pup members running a petition at the Western Oval to keep Bluey on as Coach.

Twodogs
05-09-2018, 09:13 PM
Vale Bluey.

I remember as a Pup members running a petition at the Western Oval to keep Bluey on as Coach.

That may have been at the end of '82. They tried to replace him with Malthouse at the end of the season he replaced Royce Hart but Malthouse pulled out when he saw the supporters clearly favoured Hampshire but the club chipped away at Mick over the '83 season and he finally gave in just before the '84 season started and Bluey stood down.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-09-2018, 06:45 PM
One of my earlies memories was watching hm getting chaired off as playing coach. Love the big hearted man RIP big fella

Thanks for the memories Bluey.

I've actually got a photo somewhere which i took of Bluey being chaired off as non-playing coach. Could well have been the match that twodogs mentioned earlier. Chaotic scenes. We probably won about half a dozen games in '83 but there was a really positive feeling after the gloom of previous seasons.

Twodogs
07-09-2018, 12:52 AM
I reckon Bluey retired as a player after his first game as coach. And he had to play in that game be ause we were down on numbers. He pretty much sat on the bench as an interchange player for the whole game. It was when the interchange players spent most of the game on the bench.

Remi Moses
04-10-2018, 09:38 AM
A true gentle giant , and a great servant as a player and coach .
Very unlucky to get the flick in 83 as he did a great job .
The club wanted Malthouse badly, and sadly Bluey was lost to us .
Remember the petition to keep him as coach at the end of 83

Bulldog Revolution
21-12-2018, 12:05 PM
My first Bulldog book had Ian Bluey Hampshire as coach in it - I think the book was titled Carn the Scray and of course I still have it at home somewhere

Twodogs
21-12-2018, 07:19 PM
My first Bulldog book had Ian Bluey Hampshire as coach in it - I think the book was titled Carn the Scray and of course I still have it at home somewhere

I remember that. I think it came out in 1983, the year the club turned around from the bad old days of the late '70s and early '80s and the year we celebrated our centenary, even though we'd been around in various forms since the early 1870s