PDA

View Full Version : What are we doing to our KPFs?

bulldogtragic
17-09-2018, 09:36 PM
Firstly, it's just Boyd & Schache on the list now. 2 tall forwards, yes Boyd taken with pick one and Schache taken with pick two. But two. One is showing signs but young (Schache) and the other I think is a gun (but unless played forward won't become it) but who seen as a ruck lately (Boyd). That's it.

Boyd has been hit with injuries and depression.
Redpath has quit his contract a year early.
We forced Trav Cloke to quit his contract a year early.

Seems we now need to go out and find a KPF at the trade table, re-purpose Adams (if he stays) or Young into a forward and develop them, or draft a skinny kid and wait for years to see if he comes good. I hope Sam Power sees the need to make this one of his many priorities. Or maybe coach around the problem with a squad of small forwards.

ledge
17-09-2018, 09:48 PM
Firstly, it's just Boyd & Schache on the list now. 2 tall forwards, yes Boyd taken with pick one and Schache taken with pick two. But two. One is showing signs but young (Schache) and the other I think is a gun (but unless played forward won't become it) but who seen as a ruck lately (Boyd). That's it.

Boyd has been hit with injuries and depression.
Redpath has quit his contract a year early.
We forced Trav Cloke to quit his contract a year early.

Seems we now need to go out and find a KPF at the trade table, re-purpose Adams (if he stays) or Young into a forward and develop them, or draft a skinny kid and wait for years to see if he comes good. I hope Sam Power sees the need to make this one of his many priorities. Or maybe coach around the problem with a squad of small forwards.

The last two flags were won with small forwards and this year looks much the same, it seems flags are won with one tall forward nowadays.
Maybe we look at resting English down there , Gowers is capable of a big mark and so is Wingard if he comes across.

bulldogtragic
17-09-2018, 09:49 PM
The last two flags were won with small forwards and this year looks much the same, it seems flags are won with one tall forward nowadays.
Maybe we look at resting English down there , Gowers is capable of a big mark and so is Wingard if he comes across.

And in the event our conservative management of our KPFs still results in injuries?

ledge
17-09-2018, 10:01 PM
And in the event our conservative management of our KPFs still results in injuries?

Oh and Fergus ..
maybe we have given up on big Forwards.
We know Bevo isn’t big on ruckman no matter how well Gawn smashes us, maybe he just doesnt like talls fullstop ?

bulldogtragic
17-09-2018, 10:02 PM
Oh and Fergus ..
maybe we have given up on big Forwards.
We know Bevo isn’t big on ruckman no matter how well Gawn smashes us, maybe he just doesnt like talls fullstop ?

Maybe you're on to something.

bornadog
17-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Young can play forward as well, so with the departure of Redpath, he may play more football in the forward line.
Still only 19 years old ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
18-09-2018, 12:33 AM
Adams will go forward if he stays

KT31
20-09-2018, 12:38 PM
Adams will go forward if he stays

I have completely no confidence in Adams's ability to get onto the park.
Whatever our future plans are we need to exclude Adams, as over three seasons he averages a whole nine games.

Mofra
20-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Young can play forward as well, so with the departure of Redpath, he may play more football in the forward line.
Still only 19 years old ;)
He hasn't played forward at VFL in the games I've seen (we preferred to send Roberts forward) so I'm not sure he's a viable forward option. If he is, I'd imagine he's years away.

bornadog
20-09-2018, 01:14 PM
He hasn't played forward at VFL in the games I've seen (we preferred to send Roberts forward) so I'm not sure he's a viable forward option. If he is, I'd imagine he's years away.

Actually he has played a few games as a forward, or sent down there during a game. Plus he came to us as a forward

Ozza
20-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Nothing about Lewis Young screams ‘forward’ to me. Think he is far more natural as a defender.

Mantis
20-09-2018, 03:07 PM
Actually he has played a few games as a forward, or sent down there during a game. Plus he came to us as a forward

He was recruited to be developed as a key defender. His excellent 20m sprint numbers were seen to be a huge positive in his ability to close down a lead.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2018, 03:25 PM
Nothing about Lewis Young screams ‘forward’ to me. Think he is far more natural as a defender.

Agree with this.

Best chance is as an athletic defender IMO.

Sedat
20-09-2018, 03:46 PM
He was recruited to be developed as a key defender. His excellent 20m sprint numbers were seen to be a huge positive in his ability to close down a lead.
His closing speed is great but it doesnt help him get to contests when he lacks the ability to read the ball in flight or off the boot. And he's not exactly robust in the marking contest at this stage of his career. It's early days but he needs to address these huge existing flaws in his game if he wants to make a key defensive post his own.

jeemak
20-09-2018, 06:32 PM
His closing speed is great but it doesnt help him get to contests when he lacks the ability to read the ball in flight or off the boot. And he's not exactly robust in the marking contest at this stage of his career. It's early days but he needs to address these huge existing flaws in his game if he wants to make a key defensive post his own.

I don't think he'll ever be a one on one defender, rather, more of an intercept or tall and quick second up defender.

Sure he needs to be competent one on one, and hopefully that would come with time and a few preseasons in the gym.

Go_Dogs
20-09-2018, 07:54 PM
I thin Young reads the ball pretty well in the air and wth his step, no reason he can't develop the ability to get a bit of separation. Disclaimer: this is based on his work at senior level 12 months ago.