5 picks confirmed so far

Eleanor Brown at pick 10 from Sandy Dragons
Aisling McCarthy at pick 23 from Ireland
Kate Bartlett at pick 26 from Peel Thunderbirds
Selena Karlson at pick 34 from Southern Saints
Jessie Davies at pick 46 from Western Bulldogs

divvydan
23-10-2018, 02:53 PM
One thing I noticed about the AFLW draft is that most teams seemed to select from their home state for the vast majority of picks. Makes sense given the length of the season and difficulty in moving for a relatively small amount of money. Then we go and take women from not just the other side of the country but also the other side of the world.

soupman
23-10-2018, 03:52 PM
One thing I noticed about the AFLW draft is that most teams seemed to select from their home state for the vast majority of picks. Makes sense given the length of the season and difficulty in moving for a relatively small amount of money. Then we go and take women from not just the other side of the country but also the other side of the world.

That would be because due to the lack of professional contracts when girls nominate for the draft they nominate for a state or location. That means a girl who lives in Melbourne can nominate for Victoria, or a girl from Perth can nominate WA. In a lot of ways it makes the draft redundant. Ie. Fremantle have no competition for the WA girls and can't steal the girls from interstate so regardless of if they have pick 1 or 100 they are getting the best girl in WA.

Raw Toast
24-10-2018, 09:14 PM
That would be because due to the lack of professional contracts when girls nominate for the draft they nominate for a state or location. That means a girl who lives in Melbourne can nominate for Victoria, or a girl from Perth can nominate WA. In a lot of ways it makes the draft redundant. Ie. Fremantle have no competition for the WA girls and can't steal the girls from interstate so regardless of if they have pick 1 or 100 they are getting the best girl in WA.

With Freo and the Crows at the moment, the battle beforehand is with interstate club's trying to get players to nominate for another state (which has happened a few times).

But the main issue is that the AFL(M) are reluctant to make the season any longer, or to pay the female players any more, both of which are very short-sighted policies I think.

Raw Toast
24-10-2018, 09:18 PM
Good to see we picked up Jessie Davies with our final pick - it's similar to getting Billy Gowers (and many others from Footscray/Willi/Werribee), in that she's done well for the Spurs, and now for our VFLW team.

I suspect we'll get one or more rookies from our VFLW team as well (which worked gloriously last season with Naomi Ferres).

Hotdog60
04-08-2020, 09:19 PM
West Coast also made a significant addition to its midfield, adding Aisling McCarthy from the Western Bulldogs in return for pick 16, the Eagles' "competition assistance" selection which had to be on-traded.

https://womens.afl/photo-resources/2020/03/15/f2c47fc7-381a-406a-a87f-f247bfe8d59b/kFkpdOOF.jpg?width=1000&height=563

Picks two and three also swapped as part of the deal, meaning the Dogs will now take the second selection both overall and in the Victorian pool, while the Eagles now have pick three overall but maintain the first selection in the Western Australian pool.

The move ensures no other Victorian club can now jump between the Bulldogs and Richmond (at pick one) by trading with the Eagles.

McCarthy took her game to a whole new level in 2020, moving from the forward line to the midfield and finishing fourth in the club's best and fairest. She had told the club she wished to move to Western Australia.
LINK (https://womens.afl/news/51688/)

bornadog
04-08-2020, 11:05 PM
Why the hell did Aisling want to go to WA?

Dry Rot
04-08-2020, 11:13 PM
Why have so many of our good players left over recent years?

Hotdog60
05-08-2020, 05:29 AM
Looks like the Womens comp is very unsettled and I wonder if all these girls moving around is chasing cash.
McCarthy was a promising player and it's a shame to lose her.

azabob
05-08-2020, 07:15 AM

I asked myself that exact question.

comrade
05-08-2020, 07:29 AM
Why would you stay in Victoria?

Bulldog Joe
05-08-2020, 07:33 AM

It is possible she knows people there, but it is pretty difficult to get into Victoria at present and then go anywhere else.

I have several reasons to go to Victoria but currently it would cost me $3k and at least 2 weeks just to get back out.

bornadog
05-08-2020, 08:53 AM
It is possible she knows people there, but it is pretty difficult to get into Victoria at present and then go anywhere else.

I have several reasons to go to Victoria but currently it would cost me $3k and at least 2 weeks just to get back out.

Hopefully this is just temporary

Axe Man
05-08-2020, 09:24 AM

If she wanted to go to another Melbourne team you would ask questions but if she specifically wanted a trade to WA it's fairly likely there are outside factors at play. It's not like they get paid much so work and other considerations are important.