PDA

View Full Version : Rookie List Strategy 2018

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 10:00 AM
So it's going to be a busy rookie draft, by our standards. Gowers & Lynch are upgraded, NMM has been delisted and Smith has an extension. Although if we end up with too many late picks maybe he gets upgraded too. But at this point we have picks 6, 24 & 42.

So what's the strategy for this year:

- State league player, like Gowers. Maybe Will Hayes.
- A depth or developing ruckman to cover injuries or with an eye to the future.
- A delistee from another club we don't want to offer a main list spot to. There's a few out there.
- An older player moved on from another club. E.G. Farren Ray went to North, Thomas to Port. Not sure I'm a fan in a general sense, although mature depth is something to think about
- Picking up one of our delisted players. Honeychurch might be a candidate. Our history of recycling our own hasn't been great, see Hahn, Goodes etc. On our history, if we delist them, we were right to delist then altogether not waste a rookie list spot for a year or two.
- Picking up Any NGA players who have slipped through.
- Best available no matter what.
h) All of the above

Certainly a lot to think about for the recruiters and Sam Power, in making sure the rookie draft helps re-balance the list and compliments the national draft strategy. It may be a 'tell' on where we think we are on the premiership clock, in that if we just keep stocking up on raw kids we might be still winding up to move up, or if we go with mature players and depth who can play, maybe we think we might be heading up the ladder once again.

Thoughts?

comrade
19-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Do we have 3 spots? If so:

- Solid state league performer in early-mid 20s (Gowers, Picken, Boyd type etc)
- Raw, athletic player with plenty of holes in his game but at least 1 elite AFL attribute - preferably speed (like JJ, Lynch, Dahl)
- Developing ruck

Stay away from recycling our delistees or picking up mature semi-retired players.

hujsh
19-09-2018, 10:50 AM

- Raw, athletic player with plenty of holes in his game but at least 1 elite AFL attribute - preferably speed (like JJ, Lynch, Dahl)
- Developing ruck

Stay away from recycling our delistees or picking up mature semi-retired players.

I think that's pretty much the perfect balance. Only exception might be if we look for a more mature ruckman as a backup for Trengove/English so we aren't forced to ruck Boyd or even worse our mids

ledge
19-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Apparently we have been chasing an Ammos player , came second in the Medal count behind AYce Cordy. Can’t recall the name.
I’m all for putting one old player as a rookie from another club if he can fill a hole when we lose a player and can instruct or teach the kids.
With Goodes etc we never know the true value as you can’t get a handle on what they taught the ones coming up. When we take older experienced players I believe it’s more a teaching thing on field. I guess you could do that by just putting them on a VFL list or as being discussed with Jarryd Roughead A season playing and then on coaching panel.
In saying all that we have a history of being very good at picking rookies and them going on to have big careers when upgraded.
I guess it depends on the list at the time and the thoughts of list management.

The Doctor
19-09-2018, 11:18 AM
I guess we have to wait and see what falls through from the national draft. We will have pick 6 in the rookie draft and that could still nab us a good youngster.

We are a young team so one or two state league players as Comrade has suggested would seem sensible. i'd lean towards a Footscray player like Reuben William if available first. However there seems to be a strong crop available this year so there should options that address needs as well.

there is also our NGA options.

GVGjr
19-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Agree with Doc, William needs to be part of the rookie list conversation.

soupman
19-09-2018, 11:35 AM
BF posters seem fairly confident Will Hayes will be on our list next season, presumably as a rookie. There's your state leaguer.

GVGjr
19-09-2018, 12:16 PM
BF posters seem fairly confident Will Hayes will be on our list next season, presumably as a rookie. There's your state leaguer.

He's probably worth considering. He's played at a high level for a while now

Insufficient Intent
19-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Apparently we have been chasing an Ammos player , came second in the Medal count behind AYce Cordy. Can’t recall the name.
Anthony Scott. According to this article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking), we're supposedly having a chat with him this week.

GVGjr
19-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Anthony Scott. According to this article (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking), we're supposedly having a chat with him this week.

while he might be a rookie list candidate I suspect our interest might be more around a senior list spot.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2018, 03:17 PM
I'd like us to use our rookie list solely on state leaguers/delisted players such as Hibberd who can come in and impact within the next year or two if we need them.

We have enough kids for at least the next 12 months.

Greystache
19-09-2018, 04:26 PM

- Developing ruck

I think that's a very sensible approach to the rookie draft every year. Ideally the mature player is a midfielder given they have the best strike rate of becoming an AFL regular but if there's a standout tall and we have a need it's worth going for it. This year it should definitely be a midfielder.

Go_Dogs
20-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Jack Hayes (mature aged, but still young) key forward
Anthony Wilson (mature aged, but incredibly quick) small forward
Lewis Johnston (mature aged, but coming off an excellent season) midfield/utility

These are just some guys I've seen at SANFL level who can potentially play at AFL level.

I'm also a fan of what comrade said.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2018, 10:56 AM
So with it looking like maybe we have four spots at the ND, we have two eligible Next Generation Academy prospects who scribes suggest may be rookie draft options. One of the kids, Lochy Dawson, has an OK resume and could be a late ND selection, but if we have no selections, we won't be getting him there. They've tweaked the rules, but as I understand it we can get them in the rookie draft, or if they are overlooked by all clubs we have the option of taking them as a Category B rookie. Meaning, they don't take up a formal spot on the rookie list.

The boys are: Locky (or Lachie depending on whose site you believe) Dawson (midfielder) & Josh Chatfield (small forward) - I'm all but certain neither got combine invites.

Lochy Dawson's stats for his TAC year:

Lochy Dawson: Kicks 129, HB 205, Disposals 334, Marks 45, CP 158, UP 183, Tackles 79, Clearances 61, I50 33, R50 27, Goals 3.

16 Games, in the Best X 5, one best on ground
Averages per game (give or take): 8 kicks, 13 HB, 21 disposals, 3 marks, 10 CP, 11 UP, 5 tackles, 4 Clearnces, 2 R50, 2 R50.

Whole of competition TAC Cup Rankings:

Equal 13th in the entire TAC Cup for total disposals.
Equal 11th in the entire TAC Cup for tackles.
9th in the entire TAC Cup for clearances.
10th in the entire TAC Cup for contested possessions.

Joshua Chatfield. He seemed to start the year well, once being called a premiere small high pressure forward, but that didn't remain consistent through out the year. Either form or injury got him, others would know much better than i, but on limited exposure in the TAC he was averaging about 11 disposals, 4 marks, 5 tackles and .75 goals a game.

So these boys are perhaps somewhere in the conversation about the rookie draft as a ordinary rookie or Cat B rookie. As I posted in another thread, I have a bad feeling Honeychurch will get a rookie opportunity, which he shouldn't in my eyes. Then there's the question about since Campbell is around only for depth, whether we delist him with a view to rookie listing him. I can't see too many clubs rushing to take him ahead of us. Then there's other names, if they get to the rookie draft like Hayes from state leagues. The ammo's player we've interviewed (sorry can't remember his name) or drafting a young ruckman for depth. With 3 spots to fill (NMM, Lynch & Gowers) there's a few different avenues to explore to try to balance out the list a little more.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 02:51 PM
So the rookie draft is on later today. We have pick 6, 24 & 42. We haven't replaced Roughy, Campbell, Collins, Adams, NMM.

So do we look to target some needs for depth in KPP/ruck stocks? Or best available?

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 02:56 PM
So the rookie draft is on later today. We have pick 6, 24 & 42. We haven't replaced Roughy, Campbell, Collins, Adams, NMM.

So do we look to target some needs for depth in KPP/ruck stocks? Or best available?

Possibly best available at the first pick if there is someone available that we didn't expect to be there, but the other 2 picks have to address list needs in my opinion.

hujsh
23-11-2018, 02:58 PM
A ruckman and the two players the recruiters think could be best 22 AFL players (now or in time) but aren't on a list right now. That'd keep me happy.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Possibly best available at the first pick if there is someone available that we didn't expect to be there, but the other 2 picks have to address list needs in my opinion.

Will be interesting if we want more kids, or look to recycle someone or grab state leaguers.

Sedat
23-11-2018, 03:03 PM
If no one bids on Buku, can we select another player with pick 73 and then use one of our rookie selections on him?

divvydan
23-11-2018, 03:05 PM
Yes, if no one selects him in the National Draft. The problem is that there are still more picks after our last one, so it's a risk that someone bids for him there.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Yes, if no one selects him in the National Draft. The problem is that there are still more picks after our last one, so it's a risk that someone bids for him there.

Thinking laterally, now that we know our last pick is good enough. I wonder if we look to trade to the last pick in the draft at pick 73, to Collinwood's 102. If someone bids, we match it we've lost absolutely nothing by doing it. If no one bids then we use the last pick effective like pick 1 of the rookie draft, and use a rookie selection on Buku.

divvydan
23-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Dogs have lodged a form to pre-select NGA prospect Buku Khamis as a rookie.

https://twitter.com/SamLandsberger/status/1065832145388625920

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 06:22 PM
Confirmed:

Bulldogs secure Buku Khamis (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-11-23/afl-draft-buku-khamis)

The Western Bulldogs have snared exciting young talent Buku Khamis as a pre-selected rookie for the 2019 season.

Khamis was allowed clear passage to the Bulldogs as a pre-selected rookie under the rules governing the selection of players who are part of AFL club next generation academies.

Khamis was not selected in the NAB AFL Draft, allowing the Dogs to secure him as a rookie.

A relatively late bloomer in a football sense, Khamis, a refugee from South Sudan, moved to Australia in 2006 with his family and took up AFL in his last year of primary school.

He is a product of the Dogs’ Next Generation Academy, and was a participant in the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation’s Ready SETTLE Go program.

The athletic defender has the ability to take on the game with his impressive running ability, and possesses clean skills.

He is a great intercept mark and reads the flight of the ball well.

“Buku is a fantastic example of the talent in our Next Generation Academy and the development pathway that exists in the AFL,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power.

“He has worked exceptionally hard to get to where he is and we’re confident he’ll be a great acquisition to our Club.”

Khamis represented Vic Metro and was awarded All-Australian selection in 2018.

Buku Khamis profile

DOB: 24/03/2000
Height: 189cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Defender
Club: Western Jets

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Lachie Young pick 6 (dandy stingrays)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsqsj0UUcAYf6D5.jpg

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Pick 23 Jordan Sweet (North Adelaide)

Knightmare: Ruckman Jordon Sweet who I have spoken about over the last few seasons drafted to Western Bulldogs in the rookie draft. Powerful, strong mark and plays with an aggressive edge

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsquyL2VsAAAyEo.jpg

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 06:38 PM
So only 2 rookies taken? Something doesn't add up - is Khamis category A?

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:40 PM
So only 2 rookies taken? Something doesn't add up - is Khamis category A?

I think so

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsqqyG3V4AA7aGq.jpg

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 06:42 PM
I think so

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsqqyG3V4AA7aGq.jpg

That doesn't say whether he is category A or B.

hujsh
23-11-2018, 06:47 PM
Pre-selected rookie. Pretty sure he's a regular one in this case

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 06:51 PM
I could be wrong. I read the rules to say that a NGA can be a Cat B if all clubs overlook them in the rookie draft. Buku was nominated and therefore wasn't overlooked in the rookie draft so we get a highway robbery, not a highway robbery +.

However, there were two other NGA kids who were overlooked. One in particular was a kid Lachie Dawson who was an ok performing NGA this year. We could sign him up as a Cat B if we wanted.

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:52 PM
I could be wrong. I read the rules to say that a NGA can be a Cat B if all clubs overlook them in the rookie draft. Buku was nominated and therefore wasn't overlooked in the rookie draft so we get a highway robbery, not a highway robbery +.

However, there were two other NGA kids who were overlooked. One in particular was a kid Lachie Dawson who was an ok performing NGA this year. We could sign him up as a Cat B if we wanted.

We don't want Buku as a Category B do we ? Cat B can't play seniors, or am I wrong

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 06:57 PM
We don't want Buku as a Category B do we ? Cat B can't play seniors, or am I wrong

Nothing to really do with want, not that I expect him to leapfrog all our defenders next year. I read the rules to say he's a Cat A. If my reading is correct, he's a Cat A. We passed our final selection, so that would indicate Khamis was used there in the rookie draft proper. So again, likely a Cat A. Which is still daylight robbery. ESPN/Doerre, Fox and others had Khamis going pick 40'ish in the National Draft. He went for Pick 40, in the Rookie Draft!

dadsgirl16
23-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Am I hitting the wine and dancing tonight BT?

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Yep! :D

I think we've made out like bandits over the past 24 hours. Sam Power has set high expectations from here on out.

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 07:07 PM

Pretty sure category B rookies can play seniors (eg Hugh Greenwood and Alex Keath from the Crows in 2017), but they have to be promoted (usually for a long term injured player).

I would be shocked if he played senior football next season anyway.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2018, 07:08 PM

I respect you for putting a high price on your wine, dancing, rookie and BT's reckoning.

GVGjr
23-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Khamis can play AFL pre season games and obviously in VFL but would need to be upgraded to play AFL senior games

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Khamis can play AFL pre season games and obviously in VFL but would need to be upgraded to play AFL senior games

That would only be if he's category B and it's looking like he's category A .

I hope that is right, just saw something saying it is Cat B.

GVGjr
23-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Just confirmed he is a Cat B rookie as he was an NGA prospect

Insufficient Intent
23-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Thanks to everyone on this thread who provided links to news and especially to those capable of articulating the nuances of the draft fine print.
Much appreciated!
We've landed some rippers, really exciting stuff for the next few years ahead. Sam Power and Co. have set a high standard to live up to.
Can't wait to get to next season!

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 07:57 PM
That would only be if he's category B and it's looking like he's category A .

What the hell - I didn't type that second line???

Just confirmed he is a Cat B rookie as he was an NGA prospect

Something doesn't add up then - we only have 3 category A rookies? Or one of Gowers or Lynch is still on the rookie list? I'm confused.

GVGjr
23-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Something doesn't add up then - we only have 3 category A rookies? Or one of Gowers or Lynch is still on the rookie list? I'm confused.

Sorry, technical issue, I'll fix that now

Twodogs
23-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Yes you did. Don't you remember? That's a bit of a worry...

:cool:

Axe Man
23-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Yes you did. Don't you remember? That's a bit of a worry...

:cool:

At least now if I type something stupid I can blame technical issues.

Twodogs
23-11-2018, 08:15 PM
At least now if I type something stupid I can blame technical issues.

When...

hujsh
23-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Not quite following why we didn't take another rookie either. Did we not want to or is Lynch still a rookie?

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 09:28 PM
Not quite following why we didn't take another rookie either. Did we not want to or is Lynch still a rookie?

This is testing me. If he's a Cat B, then we have an opening as Gowers & Lynch were as advised by the club 'elevated'. We still have an opportunity to bring in a Cat A rookie using the same rule Essendon & GWS are using to get Clarke & Mumford. Maybe we needed more time to assess our target. Having read the AFEL rules I'm not sure exactly how he's a Cat B. But then again I don't know how we picked Hayes after passing. So don't listen to me is my solution.

josie
23-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Are they keeping a spot free for mid year draftee from vfl if one of our KPPs is injured?

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 10:04 PM
Are they keeping a spot free for mid year draftee from vfl if one of our KPPs is injured?

There's a mid year rookie draft next year, which will cover that. I'm not sure what we are doing, except to guess we may use the rule to automatically select an ex-AFEL player as a rookie like Essendon & WCE. Maybe we've got one hidden away somewhere out of sight?

Smads57
23-11-2018, 10:38 PM
BT - Sam Power made a short reference in his interview on the Bulldog website around how we 'secured' Hayes (another new rule for this year's draft?).

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 10:45 PM
BT - Sam Power made a short reference in his interview on the Bulldog website around how we 'secured' Hayes (another new rule for this year's draft?).

Yep. During the draft live I was suggesting we trade for the last pick, then held by Colllingwood. Then couldn't understand why we wouldn't. But the rule change for this year since we've found out allowed for our pick to keep moving back after passing until effectively the last pick, without the need for trade and using it as the last pick like I wanted. That's why he gets paid well to manage the list, and I'm an anonymous internet rambler!

Grantysghost
23-11-2018, 11:31 PM
Could this be why we still have a spot (from AFL site)

"The sole hope remaining for those not picked up on Friday is now the Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP), introduced only last week, which enables clubs to sign players to their rookie list from December 1 through until March 15 next year."

Last week?

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Yep. I've been reading up the last hour about it.

GWS - Mumford
Essendon - Clarke
Richmond - M. Weller
WCE - Brooksby
Melb - Wagner

Are the clubs so far publicly saying who their Cat A rookie will be under this rule. I assume we have someone lined up. I wonder if a Jye Bolton is tempting?

choconmientay
24-11-2018, 10:48 AM
With a back up ruck man on the rookie list, I don't think Campbell is getting a look. How about we give Jake Neade a go?

The Adelaide Connection
28-11-2018, 11:16 PM
So we have one Rookie spot left and the potential to take on more Category B rookies (Joshua Chatfield and Lachlan Dawson).

What should we do? Any players that we should be looking at?

bulldogtragic
28-11-2018, 11:28 PM
So we have one Rookie spot left and the potential to take on more Category B rookies (Joshua Chatfield and Lachlan Dawson).

What should we do? Any players that we should be looking at?

A's. Yes. If we have a vacancy, we should fill it.

B's. Josh Chatfield's stats for the year were underwhelming, although he was injured. On the flip side, he was spoken about highly by some early in the year. It sounds very Tristan Tweedie in the talent cut down by injury gamble. Lachy Dawson, whilst I've not seen him play, has very good stats in a lot of key midfield areas and some very impressive individual games. So maybe he gets looked at as a raw midfield option.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Afro.com.au

OPPORTUNITY still beckons for those players who didn't join an AFL club last week.

The grieving process for that group had already begun at this time last year, but the new pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), which opened on Saturday, has changed all that.

Six clubs – Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Gold Coast – have one list spot vacant, which will almost certainly be filled in the SSP.

So how do the new rules work?

Previously listed AFL footballers no longer have to nominate for the draft and can sign with their club of choice as a Category A rookie between December 1 and March 15.

The only exceptions are those players who retire or delist themselves.

In those cases, they must nominate for that year's draft and be overlooked – or sit out an AFL season – to be eligible for the SSP.

The same goes for players who have never played at the highest level, but nominated for that year's draft and didn't find an AFL home.

They, too, become eligible for the following SSP, although if they still miss out they must nominate for the draft again the next year.

The Giants, Demons and Tigers passed twice in the rookie draft, effectively leaving two spots up for grabs.

However, all three had each committed one of those to past AFL footballers who would sign in the SSP: Shane Mumford (GWS), Corey Wagner (Melbourne) and Maverick Weller (Richmond).

The other players who have taken up the opportunity to join a club this way are Zac Clarke (Essendon), Keegan Brooksby (West Coast) and Tom Campbell (North Melbourne).

The Tigers also sought permission for West Australian midfielder Sydney Stack, an All Australian at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, to train at Punt Rd and potentially take the club's other spot.

A ruckman is in the Suns' sights for their empty place as they seek more support for No.1 big man Jarrod Witts.

Injury-prone Tom Nicholls and Peter Wright, who is preferred as a key forward, are Witts' main back-ups at this stage.

The Blues' decision may be a race in four.

Axed forward Jed Lamb and VFL trio Jesse Palmer and Sam Fisher, who were previously listed at Port Adelaide and Sydney, respectively, and Mason Blakey trained with Carlton leading into the drafts.

Former Saint Hugh Goddard and ex-Demon Tom Bugg became Blues in last week's rookie draft after training at Ikon Park.

That leaves the Giants, Demons and Bulldogs with one vacancy apiece.

Among the players in the mix could be multiple state league medallists Mick Gibbons, Mitch Grigg and Jye Bolton, Casey Demon Jay Lockhart, key-position prospect Hayden McLean, who trained at St Kilda, and late-blooming South Fremantle onballer Marlion Pickett.

There is also a chance clubs will keep a spot up their sleeve for next year's mid-season rookie draft, but industry sources say it is unlikely any team would enter the season one player short.

The Adelaide Connection
02-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Afro.com.au

OPPORTUNITY still beckons for those players who didn't join an AFL club last week.

The grieving process for that group had already begun at this time last year, but the new pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP), which opened on Saturday, has changed all that.

Six clubs – Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Gold Coast – have one list spot vacant, which will almost certainly be filled in the SSP.

So how do the new rules work?

Previously listed AFL footballers no longer have to nominate for the draft and can sign with their club of choice as a Category A rookie between December 1 and March 15.

The only exceptions are those players who retire or delist themselves.

In those cases, they must nominate for that year's draft and be overlooked – or sit out an AFL season – to be eligible for the SSP.

The same goes for players who have never played at the highest level, but nominated for that year's draft and didn't find an AFL home.

They, too, become eligible for the following SSP, although if they still miss out they must nominate for the draft again the next year.

The Giants, Demons and Tigers passed twice in the rookie draft, effectively leaving two spots up for grabs.

However, all three had each committed one of those to past AFL footballers who would sign in the SSP: Shane Mumford (GWS), Corey Wagner (Melbourne) and Maverick Weller (Richmond).

The other players who have taken up the opportunity to join a club this way are Zac Clarke (Essendon), Keegan Brooksby (West Coast) and Tom Campbell (North Melbourne).

The Tigers also sought permission for West Australian midfielder Sydney Stack, an All Australian at this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, to train at Punt Rd and potentially take the club's other spot.

A ruckman is in the Suns' sights for their empty place as they seek more support for No.1 big man Jarrod Witts.

Injury-prone Tom Nicholls and Peter Wright, who is preferred as a key forward, are Witts' main back-ups at this stage.

The Blues' decision may be a race in four.

Axed forward Jed Lamb and VFL trio Jesse Palmer and Sam Fisher, who were previously listed at Port Adelaide and Sydney, respectively, and Mason Blakey trained with Carlton leading into the drafts.

Former Saint Hugh Goddard and ex-Demon Tom Bugg became Blues in last week's rookie draft after training at Ikon Park.

Among the players in the mix could be multiple state league medallists Mick Gibbons, Mitch Grigg and Jye Bolton, Casey Demon Jay Lockhart, key-position prospect Hayden McLean, who trained at St Kilda, and late-blooming South Fremantle onballer Marlion Pickett.

There is also a chance clubs will keep a spot up their sleeve for next year's mid-season rookie draft, but industry sources say it is unlikely any team would enter the season one player short.

Could McLean be worth a crack? 197cm forward who can pinch hit in the ruck and apparently a good shot on goal. I know a few here have been worried about the amount of height we have had go out of the team.

I would be keen on Mitch Grigg too (if he is a solid citizen). At absolute worst he is a great pickup for Footscray (both in playing ability and experience) and some added midfield depth for the 1's.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 03:33 PM
Could McLean be worth a crack? 197cm forward who can pinch hit in the ruck and apparently a good shot on goal. I know a few here have been worried about the amount of height we have had go out of the team.

I would be keen on Mitch Grigg too (if he is a solid citizen). At absolute worst he is a great pickup for Footscray (both in playing ability and experience) and some added midfield depth for the 1's.

Fox Footy Bio:

Hayden McLean (Sandringham) (197cm)

Position: Forward/ruck

2018 VFL numbers: Averaged 13.2 disposals, 5.2 marks and 10.3 hit outs

Like Jok, McLean has been training with St Kilda in the hope to earn a spot on the club’s senior or rookie list. Unlucky to be overlooked at last year’s draft, McLean — who has been compared to Josh Jenkins because of his stature and goalkicking ability — is hoping a year proving himself in the VFL system will attract recruiters. Has also been linked to the Demons.

13 games (bests 7 times, inc. 3 X BOG)
9 goals, 3 behinds
29 contested marks

(Upon signing at the Sandringham Zebras): Hayden McLean (Sandringham Dragons): “Hayden will play forward and he can jump into the ruck too. He captained the Dragons in 2017 so he has leadership qualities, and he moves really well for a big guy. By all reports he was reasonably unlucky not to get drafted last year.”

The Adelaide Connection
02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Fox Footy Bio:

Hayden McLean (Sandringham) (197cm)

Position: Forward/ruck

2018 VFL numbers: Averaged 13.2 disposals, 5.2 marks and 10.3 hit outs

Like Jok, McLean has been training with St Kilda in the hope to earn a spot on the club’s senior or rookie list. Unlucky to be overlooked at last year’s draft, McLean — who has been compared to Josh Jenkins because of his stature and goalkicking ability — is hoping a year proving himself in the VFL system will attract recruiters. Has also been linked to the Demons.

13 games (bests 7 times, inc. 3 X BOG)
9 goals, 3 behinds
29 contested marks

Seems worth a rookie spot, that's for sure. He was also the Sandrigham Dragon's captain and part of the Metro leadership group last year (with Coffield, Garner, and Rayner).

Go_Dogs
02-12-2018, 04:00 PM
What do we want out of the final spot.

Injury insurance?
A flyer on a young player with an elite trait?

I'm leaning more towards a young player as think we've addressed mature depth options via the trade period and draft.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 04:15 PM
What do we want out of the final spot.

Injury insurance?
A flyer on a young player with an elite trait?

I'm leaning more towards a young player as think we've addressed mature depth options via the trade period and draft.

I tend to agree. Someone who was overlooked last year, but shown a bit more. Or a late bloomer, former delistee whose starting to hit some form. Not a pure retread to add to the age profile.

I'd like another flexible KPF who can pinch hit ruck. I don't mind midfield depth like Jye Caldwell. I'd also like to know if Lachy Dawson might make his way on a Cat B to add another name on the midfielder column, that might move the need to the KPF/2nd ruck type. I think we can be a little position specific with this the last spot on the Cat A list.

bulldogsman
02-12-2018, 04:38 PM
We didn't nominate Dawson or Chatfield, so i think that means we can't add them as a Cat B rookie.

Maybe someone like Hayden McLean might be someone we could add as a kpf

GVGjr
02-12-2018, 06:38 PM

I thought McLean was a bit stiff not to make a rookie list in his last season in the TAC because he had a good season.
Decent mark and can ruck a bit as well. The Saints might be interested.

Jono Marsh anyone? Sydney Stack would be an awesome addition but he is probably on his way to Tigerland
James Blanck might be worth considering. Athletically he tested well but doesn't have a great tank. He scored an invite to the combine but wasn't selected. Riley Bowmann can play forward and in the ruck.
Daly Andrews from the Jets has plenty of run and carry and good skills. He can play in the midfield back line or up forward. He forced his way onto the Metro side but suffered an unfortunate concussion after getting falconed.

Grigg or Bolton would add midfield depth if we copped a few injuries.

It will be interesting to see if we go for youth or if we top up with a player with some AFL experience.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 06:49 PM
I thought McLean was a bit stiff not to make a rookie list in his last season in the TAC because he had a good season.
Decent mark and can ruck a bit as well. The Saints might be interested.

Jono Marsh anyone? Sydney Stack would be an awesome addition but he is probably on his way to Tigerland
James Blanck might be worth considering. Athletically he tested well but doesn't have a great tank. He scored an invite to the combine but wasn't selected. Riley Bowmann can play forward and in the ruck.
Daly Andrews from the Jets has plenty of run and carry and good skills. He can play in the midfield back line or up forward. He forced his way onto the Metro side but suffered an unfortunate concussion after getting falconed.

Grigg or Bolton would add midfield depth if we copped a few injuries.

It will be interesting to see if we go for youth or if we top up with a player with some AFL experience.

From the article last page, there's only three spots left across all lists:

Any preferences from them G?

hujsh
02-12-2018, 07:37 PM
We do have Hayes as mature midfield depth. Would another not be overkill?

soupman
02-12-2018, 08:09 PM
No more depth mids. I want either a super pacy clever small forward like a Betts type or an athletic tall who played u18s 1 or 2 years ago and has shown something against men already.

GVGjr
02-12-2018, 08:10 PM
We do have Hayes as mature midfield depth. Would another not be overkill?

Is he really a centre square type of player? I see him more as a winger or half forward

Given the troubles we had last year and the fact that it's Liberatore in (with a couple of others that are more forwards) and Dahlhaus out I'm not sure we have addressed it completely

GVGjr
02-12-2018, 09:56 PM
From the article last page, there's only three spots left across all lists:

Any preferences from them G?

Probably McLean or maybe Grigg.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Probably McLean or maybe Grigg.

Given your time this year is limited on McLean. In his top year in the TAC did you see him making the grade eventually as a ruck, a KPF or hybrid KPF that rucks a little?

GVGjr
02-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Given your time this year is limited on McLean. In his top year in the TAC did you see him making the grade eventually as a ruck, a KPF or hybrid KPF that rucks a little?

Forward who could ruck. He might have even played in the back line for Vic Metro in one game

Thought he would be picked up by someone.

Bulldog Revolution
02-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Will be very interesting to see what we add with that final list spot

bulldogtragic
02-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Will be very interesting to see what we add with that final list spot

I find it kind of interesting that we in the last three clubs with a pick. Did we miss out on someone we had targeted? Are we trying to convince or haggle over a certain player? Are we still assessing the list, slowly somewhat? Is it all around positions and who we might need or want in the mid season rookie draft? Is Power trying to exploit another draft rule for benefit and wants everyone out before the ruling?

The Adelaide Connection
03-12-2018, 02:26 AM
I find it kind of interesting that we in the last three clubs with a pick. Did we miss out on someone we had targeted? Are we trying to convince or haggle over a certain player? Are we still assessing the list, slowly somewhat? Is it all around positions and who we might need or want in the mid season rookie draft? Is Power trying to exploit another draft rule for benefit and wants everyone out before the ruling?

We may be waiting a while to get any kind of answer. Amazingly the SSP period goes from December 1st to March 15th!

So theoretically, we could pick someone on the 15th and play them 8 days later. I find this whole SSP thing a bit bananas.

ratsmac
03-12-2018, 07:46 AM
It's a good opportunity to get those ones we are interested in down to the club for the preseason to have a really close look at before making any rushed decision. That is if it is allowed by the AEFL. We can see who is a good trainer and who fits the no dickhead policy, etc.

bulldogtragic
03-12-2018, 10:16 AM
It's a good opportunity to get those ones we are interested in down to the club for the preseason to have a really close look at before making any rushed decision. That is if it is allowed by the AEFL. We can see who is a good trainer and who fits the no dickhead policy, etc.

Sydney Stack is training at Richmond, so yes we have that option.

Bulldog Revolution
03-12-2018, 12:29 PM
We may be waiting a while to get any kind of answer. Amazingly the SSP period goes from December 1st to March 15th!

So theoretically, we could pick someone on the 15th and play them 8 days later. I find this whole SSP thing a bit bananas.

Its closer to the old days, where guys almost sneak onto lists, with little fanfare

All I know is its intriguing to see what we do with that spot

hujsh
03-12-2018, 01:47 PM

If we can avoid a mid season delisting like with that ruckman I already forgot the name of then it's not a horrible idea

Smads57
03-12-2018, 06:10 PM
Just looking at the Bulldog's twitter account and they had a bit of a contest to identify a player, whose head was hidden by a football - turned out it was R West. I couldn't, however, work out who the tackler was - is he possibly someone training with us in a bid for this final rookie spot(?)

choconmientay
04-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Guys. I am at the Social club XMAS function ATM. Had a chance to speak briefly to Sam Power and shook hand with him. I congratulate him for a job well done with the trade and draft.

He confirmed there is no more spot available on our list and said it was mis-reported in the media.

He also said if Wingard have chosen us then it was only for a future pick and we were comfortable keeping pick 7 going into a strong draft.

Go_Dogs
04-12-2018, 08:33 PM
Guys. I am at the Social club XMAS function ATM. Had a chance to speak briefly to Sam Power and shook hand with him. I congratulate him for a job well done with the trade and draft.

He confirmed there is no more spot available on our list and said it was mis-reported in the media.

He also said if Wingard have chosen us then it was only for a future pick and we were comfortable keeping pick 7 going into a strong draft.

Thanks Choc.

Rules and reporting on the fly. No wonder everyone is confused. Glad Sam knows what's going on...

bulldogtragic
04-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Then clearly Hawthorn thought we were in a bidding war... And we weren't. Pick 15 & a young KPP vs 2019 Future 1st. Port owe us a good bottle of scotch or ten.

Axe Man
05-12-2018, 12:08 AM

I’m more confused than ever! Does that mean Buku is category A?

choconmientay
05-12-2018, 12:23 AM

You or BT or Jazzadog should have been there poking questions at Sam as I didn't have the nous to question him about that ;)

bornadog
05-12-2018, 03:52 AM

I thought he was

Axe Man
05-12-2018, 10:31 AM
You or BT or Jazzadog should have been there poking questions at Sam as I didn't have the nous to question him about that ;)

He was standing a couple of metres away from me for quite a while and I never even thought about asking him as I assumed the media reports were correct about us having 1 more rookie spot.