PDA

View Full Version : The Flip Them Around 2018/2019 Pre-Season Thread

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 12:31 PM
So I'm talking about players being flipped into different positions during the pre-season. Last year we saw JJ doing some time as a small forward, and Wood as someone who started in the forward half watching the ball go around him. Both didn't work, not even close. But the idea of changing some things up with a few players is worth looking at again. So who are the candidates when they come back from holidays get told, 'nope, you go to the other end of the ground now'.

Lynch - played almost exclusively as a HBF, but the game against Richmond as the lightning quick forward has me thinking, maybe he stays down there.

Young, Adams & Naughton - we are light on for tall forwards. Young & Adams from memory played as forwards in their junior footy. Naughton had some quiet games as a forward, but the game against North (I think it was) he looked like a gun full forward and a brilliant kick for goal.

Williams, Suckling, Richards, Crozier - With JJ down the HBF, Williams & Crozier probably starting too, do we move Suckers up the ground with Hunter, Lipinski and maybe Dale.

Wallis - If he stays, do we want him more forward like this year. He was very effective in the role.

Boyd - Forward. I know I'm dreaming.

Then guys spending more time in the roles, Dunkley more midfield, Gowers pinch hitting in the midfield too.

So who to flip around and why?

Rocket Science
19-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Every time Bevo sends a competent backman forward baby Jesus cries.

Hopefully with Schache & Gowers becoming more comfortable down there, Dicko & Picken managing to stay on the park, Greene continuing to apprentice, Wingard perhaps slotting in as well and who knows, Boyd spending more time inside the arc, both the necessity and the temptation to chuck blokes forward will wane.

The one I'm most curious about is Wood and how we'll choose to deploy him.

Is there still a role for him off half back? If not, dare we risk the awful forward experiment again? He's the freakin skipper, but where does he play?

Mofra
19-09-2018, 02:15 PM
Is there still a role for him off half back? If not, dare we risk the awful forward experiment again? He's the freakin skipper, but where does he play?
He's an elite AA level intercepting marking backman - a mediocre wingman - or a terrible forward.

I'd play him in the backline. Moz can't play every game and despite being 185cm Wood does chop out on the taller types when peeling off. Crozier can play a similar way, and I prefer Richards on a wing as he really does seem to have some natural attacking flair.

That leaves JJ to play back as well (he's much better behind the ball) with Daniel rotating through there at times with Suckling. I suspect we'll often play two talls - Naughton and Cordy. I'm not sure Adams lasts beyond trade period.

Rocket Science
19-09-2018, 03:28 PM
He's an elite AA level intercepting marking backman ...

The inconvenient truth though is he hasn't really been that for much of the last couple of years.

A lot depends on how those 29 year old hammies hold up and the form of Morris, Naughton, Johanissen, Williams, Crozier and whoever else we rotate through the backline ...

At his best, Wood off half back's a legitimate weapon.

The concern is what happens with him if he's not.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-09-2018, 03:31 PM
A few to throw up for conversation:

- Adams forward if we keep him.

- Webb to half back for his last opportunity.

- Richards to the wing/half forward.

- Dale to half back

Ozza
19-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Can we flip the coaches back to the roles they had in 2016?

SlimPickens
19-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Can we flip the coaches back to the roles they had in 2016?

That's a bloody good question!

Topdog
19-09-2018, 05:20 PM
Richards to the wing, need the ball on his hands in dangerous areas

Go_Dogs
19-09-2018, 07:30 PM
Young forward

Dale half hack

Those are two changes I'd like to see us make, along with getting Lipinski into the midfield rotation more often.

boydogs
19-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Tom Boyd forward

AshMac
20-09-2018, 09:36 AM
Be keen to see

Bailey Williams rotate through the midfield
Bailey dale play as a high fwd flanker
Bonti in the middle of the ground!
Boyd play first half the year 80% as a fwd

love the idea of pushing Webb back to HBF - he was good there early before they Moulder him into an inside mid in the VFL