PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Western Bulldogs Membership Thread

Eastdog
21-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Hoping this can keep up pace again next season. Would love to reach 50,000 WB members one day. I'll be planning to renew again soon.

There is some excitement back I reckon with our team.

Go Bulldogs!

SonofScray
21-09-2018, 08:37 PM
I'll get my usual 2 * social club GA, VFL and AFLW + 1 kids ticket.
Extra dollars from my family will come from attendance to BnF and Inside the Kennel nights.

I filled out the recent survey. Feedback included:
Adjust the Ballarat pricing structure and communication
Get a Marching band and drop the audio over the pa
Be a little obnoxious to the footy world.

Eastdog
21-09-2018, 09:16 PM
I'll get my usual 2 * social club GA, VFL and AFLW + 1 kids ticket.
Extra dollars from my family will come from attendance to BnF and Inside the Kennel nights.

I filled out the recent survey. Feedback included:
Adjust the Ballarat pricing structure and communication
Get a Marching band and drop the audio over the pa
Be a little obnoxious to the footy world.

Yeah planning on doing that member survey. Member feedback is very important. I imagine there would be quite a bit regarding Ballarat.

Eastdog
25-10-2018, 10:07 PM
Will be good to catch up again in 2019 at Bulldog home games with everyone around me in my area. Haven't since Round 16, 2018 seems a long time now.

Scraggers
25-10-2018, 11:12 PM
Renewed mine and my son’s today. I’m one year shy of my 25 badge.

AshMac
26-10-2018, 09:28 AM
I’ll be there every week in Melbourne with my dad. Might try and buy the Charles Sutton upgrade if there are any available now.

bornadog
26-10-2018, 06:45 PM
Bulldog for life, pay monthly, so easy

Hotdog60
26-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Bulldog for life, pay monthly, so easy

Yes that's me don't even notice it.

ledge
30-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Home game , social and VFL ( including hoodie) member here also BFL monthly.
So easy costing me $48 a month for 10 months.

Eastdog
30-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Renewed for 2019 today. Home Silver Reserve/Social Club membership Level 1 Aisle 34.

Go Dogs!

Daughter of the West
31-10-2018, 12:30 PM
I've done my part to help add another member - I'll be signing up an additional Baby Bulldog in 2019. :cool:

Little dude was due on Grand Final day, but decided to come a week early so his daddy could watch his Weagles in the comfort of his own home.

So that makes one H&A + Social Club, one Puppy Pack, one Baby Bulldog and a pet membership.

Axe Man
31-10-2018, 12:55 PM
Great initiative but I wonder if members who have already surpassed various milestone years still get the benefits or do they have to wait until they hit the next milestone?
https://i.postimg.cc/q7f9jz4X/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
31-10-2018, 01:44 PM
I've done my part to help add another member - I'll be signing up an additional Baby Bulldog in 2019. :cool:

Little dude was due on Grand Final day, but decided to come a week early so his daddy could watch his Weagles in the comfort of his own home.

So that makes one H&A + Social Club, one Puppy Pack, one Baby Bulldog and a pet membership.

Congrats

Murphy'sLore
31-10-2018, 02:45 PM
Gee, only fifteen years to go before I'm eligible for my $20 voucher from the Bulldog shop! Can't wait!

bornadog
31-10-2018, 02:46 PM
Gee, only fifteen years to go before I'm eligible for my $20 voucher from the Bulldog shop! Can't wait!

I have been a continuous member since 1974

Axe Man
31-10-2018, 03:02 PM
I have been a continuous member since 1974

I look forward to your report from the closed training session. Hope you don't have to wait until 50 years to benefit.

AshMac
31-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Great initiative but I wonder if members who have already surpassed various milestone years still get the benefits or do they have to wait until they hit the next milestone?

Does this apply to any type of membership - i.e. Bulldog AFL membership - or is it only club memberships?

Grantysghost
01-11-2018, 09:49 AM

Continuous member since 81... I want that pin ! ;)

Eastdog
01-11-2018, 10:05 AM
I still have a way to go. 1 and 5 years milestones I've done my next one is 10 years. This is my 7th year as a Western Bulldogs member and I've been a supporter close to 20 years now since my early teenage years.

SquirrelGrip
01-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Could be a bit more generous in the Bulldogs Shop - a dollar for every year Member?

Cyberdoggie
01-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Good initiative, well overdue, but sadly lacking in incentive to remain loyal.

If I decide to drop my membership for a year there isn't lot at stake.
I think I will survive without my $20 shop discount and my $100 social club upgrade, which I gladly pay for each year anyway.
Not sure I can wait 50 years for that.

It should be a point system. The more years you are a member the more points you accumulate and you can choose to spend them anytime on different offerings from the club. ie 500 points for membership upgrade etc.
Or you could choose to purchase a gift card to the shop, or donate back to the club.
Need to be a little more creative I think.

G-Mo77
01-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Downgraded the membership this year. The away pass was pointless considering we give away 2 games to Ballarat and we get those as replacment games. It finally wore me down so I removed it. The 2 people beside me have thrown in the towel after 3 years so my son now takes one of their seats and I don't have to move from my great seats to get him a reserved membership.

AndrewP6
01-11-2018, 10:08 PM
You can be a member for 50 years and only get a $20 gift voucher, the same as a 30 year member??? Bahahahaha.

bulldogtragic
01-11-2018, 10:26 PM
Is it a $20 voucher a year, for every year after 25 years?

Or a once off $20 voucher? (I.e. 80 cents a year, for every year of continuous membership?)

The club will still get my hard earned no matter what. But if this 'loyalty program' is a tweak of what we have and 80cents a year towards a voucher, it's pretty insulting (1.5 cents for every week of membership a year - fun fact - were not did hards and going to stay loyal for this 1.5 cents a week that will accumulate after 25 years). And why does a 10 year member get a patch, but 15 & 25 year members don't, but then 30+ year members do? Are we not professional enough to offer it to everyone, or are we not professional to check the graphic before sending it?

I'm torn between saying 'at least we are trying something' versus 'this is substantially suboptimal and we should try a lot harder'.

Eastdog
07-11-2018, 12:41 AM
I believe we get a Bulldogs members scarf again for 2019?

I selected the cap this time round.

merantau
07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't care about monetary rewards. A patch to sew on a scarf would be fine for me. Any cost for the rewards program means less money for more important stuff - for example winning premiership. The best reward is winning games. Go Dogs!

ledge
07-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Nothing for 20 years is a bit strange

Grantysghost
07-11-2018, 06:59 PM
It's a first crack at it and it's commensurate with other loyalty programs as far as I'm aware. I'm a long term Victory member and it's not much different. I think more of the game day experiences as a one off, like being in the rooms, or standing in the guard when the players run out would maybe be more attractive. The lap of honour I don't think works. Good on the club for trying something. Just as an aside my mum is 50+ years and in her 80's. She may be the only living member that's seen two premierships live ! She was at both 54 and 2016. Was a great thrill sharing 2016 with her.

josie
07-11-2018, 09:49 PM
What a proud doggy family supporter history you have Grantysghost. Hope you have oodles of photos with your Mum on 1/10/16. Here’s hoping there’s a few more premierships in the offing you can share with your Mum.

Very much agree that shared events and memories are more valuable than memorabilia or money.

P.S. I too am a long term victory member. Keeps me kind of sane in off-season, especially when they do well which seems to be every other year. It is kind of funny to know a number of Victory fans follow many different afl clubs, so friends in summer and foes in winter.

AshMac
08-11-2018, 08:09 AM
It's a first crack at it and it's commensurate with other loyalty programs as far as I'm aware. I'm a long term Victory member and it's not much different. I think more of the game day experiences as a one off, like being in the rooms, or standing in the guard when the players run out would maybe be more attractive. The lap of honour I don't think works. Good on the club for trying something. Just as an aside my mum is 50+ years and in her 80's. She may be the only living member that's seen two premierships live ! She was at both 54 and 2016. Was a great thrill sharing 2016 with her.

That’s awesome!

Eastdog
10-11-2018, 06:28 PM
Called the club up yesterday to confirm my membership for 2019 was paid so all good there. They said mine should come by mid December so before Christmas.

BulldogBelle
10-11-2018, 07:58 PM
I was going to give up my Social Club membership this year as I could no longer afford it and hardly used it. But yippee looks like the club is giving a free Social Club membership upgrade for 50+ year members.

GVGjr
10-11-2018, 08:20 PM
I was going to give up my Social Club membership this year as I could no longer afford it and hardly used it. But yippee looks like the club is giving a free Social Club membership upgrade for 50+ year members.

Sensational stuff JC. Congrats on your persistence and commitment.

Eastdog
10-11-2018, 11:18 PM
Fantastic JC.

Eastdog
10-11-2018, 11:33 PM

Great stuff Grantysghost.

StanleyD
08-12-2018, 06:18 PM
Can't wait to see the people that sit around me again soon. Is anybody going to the AGM next week?

Eastdog
08-12-2018, 10:43 PM
Can't wait to see the people that sit around me again soon. Is anybody going to the AGM next week?

I’m Level 1 Aisle 33 StanleyD. If your around there we may bump into each other next year.

Vred
09-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Alright, so confession to make. I've never held a Bulldogs membership, and as much as I've been a supporter from as early as I can remember, and have gone to as many games as I can, i've never been in a proper financial position to buy a membership.
That has changed.

For a first timer who's looking to make as many home games as possible and wants to be in the middle of the bulldogs fanatics, what membership would you guys recommend?

Eastdog
09-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Alright, so confession to make. I've never held a Bulldogs membership, and as much as I've been a supporter from as early as I can remember, and have gone to as many games as I can, i've never been in a proper financial position to buy a membership.
That has changed.

For a first timer who's looking to make as many home games as possible and wants to be in the middle of the bulldogs fanatics, what membership would you guys recommend?

This will help you Vred

https://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/help-me-choose-0

GVGjr
10-12-2018, 01:39 AM
That has changed.

There are plenty of options including cheer squad and social club memberships. If I were you I'd call the club because they would be the best option at helping you get what suits you best.

Eastdog
12-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Got my membership confirmination email on Monday saying it’s been dispatched so about 7-14 days I should get it.

mjp
12-12-2018, 08:48 PM

That is so impressive mate. 50 years? Amazing commitment.

As an interstater, I finally took out a membership in 1994 (according to my membership card anyway). I keep up the social club thing purely for the GF - I don't get to do any of the game day stuff pretty much EVER. But in 2016 it was worth every single penny - was able to take 2 of the kids to the game (1 had to stay home, plus he is a Freo supporter in any case) without stressing about seats and such...

I have to admit, it is hard feeling like 'as much' of a supporter when you are forced to watch on tv each week rather than heading to the games...I was just lucky that my years living in Melbourne corresponded with the start of the Eade tenure so I got to see a lot more wins than losses in person. If I was there for the 'mastermind' years (or worse, the B-Mac scrimmage disaster years when our team played un-watchable footy) then it may very well have broken me!

That said, I have high hopes for the season ahead and really feel like I will be heading back to Melbourne next September for a game (or two!). It is supporters like yourself - 50 years a paid up member - who really deserve a club that is successful ON the field...I feel our team owes us a few years right now.

Go_Dogs
12-12-2018, 09:03 PM
Agree - 50 years is huge.

Similar to mjp, I had a checkered membership history until I moved to Melbourne in 2013. I managed to make it over to quite a few (losing) finals during 08-10, and held an interstate membership during those years. My old boy got a full membership including social club in 2010 which was done with a view to getting me there if we made it. Not bad for a Crows fan...

Vred- I'm an AFL member which has its perks, but if it's just the Dogs you're interested in heading to agree with others who said call the club. AFL membership works well for me as I've got a number of mates here who also hold AFL memberships. It means I can go to a neutral game if we aren't playing and enjoy a couple of beers with friends.

I'm expecting a good year membership wise. Think we will start well and build momentum.

Eastdog
12-12-2018, 10:04 PM
I wonder what our current 2019 membership tally is?

Eastdog
20-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Got my membership pack yesterday. I like the Social club scarf and the bumper sticker is a good size not too big or small. Also signed up as an East West Bulldogs member as well at the East West day a few weeks ago. Now for us to have a great 2019. Go Dogs!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
20-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Got mine just in time to give as Christmas presents

Remi Moses
20-12-2018, 03:26 PM
Got mine today
Plus the mag
Like the beanie . Always looked upon as a donation more than a membership, as I get a 17 gamer and attend about half .

Eastdog
20-12-2018, 09:18 PM
I got the mag the day before. Always a good read.

GVGjr
24-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Got mine just in time to give as Christmas presents

Same here, got home from work to find a nice Xmas present waiting for me.

AndrewP6
25-12-2018, 12:38 AM
Happy to get mine today. I like the look of the beanie. Merry Christmas to all...and to all a goodnight.

mjp
02-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Got my stuff today.

Including a new pin for being a 25 year member...

I hope the club realises how much little things like this mean to people like me (us??).

Vred
04-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Partner ended up buying me a membership for xmas, hopefully arriving soon :)

Eastdog
04-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Partner ended up buying me a membership for xmas, hopefully arriving soon :)

Good stuff! Yeah you’ll get an email from the club where you can track your membership.

Hotdog60
04-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Got my stuff today. It's nice to get a badge again I was disappointed when the members pins stopped which I would rather have got than the other stuff.
Does anyone else think that the membership badge is a bit plain (Generic)? Meaning that there is no reference to the bulldogs unless you pick up on the shape of the shield.

Axe Man
07-01-2019, 06:46 PM
The membership pack mail outs are a little random. My daughter's pack arrived before Christmas, my son's pack arrived late last week (about 3 weeks after the first pack) and mine still hasn't arrived. All bulldogs for life with the same surname at the same address. Doesn't really worry me but there doesn't seem to be any system to it all.

whythelongface
07-01-2019, 07:36 PM
The membership pack mail outs are a little random. My daughter's pack arrived before Christmas, my son's pack arrived late last week (about 3 weeks after the first pack) and mine still hasn't arrived. All bulldogs for life with the same surname at the same address. Doesn't really worry me but there doesn't seem to be any system to it all.

I spoke to the club today about my son's Bulldog's Pup pack and they mentioned there was an issue with social club membership scarfs. I received mine just after xmas so this is not the case with all social club members.

bornadog
07-01-2019, 11:44 PM

Surely they can save on freight costs if they bundled one household together.

Grantysghost
08-01-2019, 10:22 AM
Got my stuff today.

Including a new pin for being a 25 year member...

I hope the club realises how much little things like this mean to people like me (us??).

Were you exactly 25? Reason I ask is i expected a pin but didn't receive one, as you say I was a little dissapointed I would wear it with pride. However I'm not exactly on a milestone (39) so that may be it. I'll contact the club. ;)

The Adelaide Connection
08-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Were you exactly 25? Reason I ask is i expected a pin but didn't receive one, as you say I was a little dissapointed I would wear it with pride. However I'm not exactly on a milestone (39) so that may be it. I'll contact the club. ;)

I’m beyond 10 (12 I think) and I too didn’t get anything. I suspect that they are not backdating and you will just get the next milestone.

I guess you could assume that in any one year there is about 1/5th of our members who are hitting their 5/10/15/20/etc. anniversary. That is as many as 10,000 pins, certificates, embroiled scarves, etc. as it is.

Grantysghost
08-01-2019, 12:11 PM
I’m beyond 10 (12 I think) and I too didn’t get anything. I suspect that they are not backdating and you will just get the next milestone.

I guess you could assume that in any one year there is about 1/5th of our members who are hitting their 5/10/15/20/etc. anniversary. That is as many as 10,000 pins, certificates, embroiled scarves, etc. as it is.

I think you're right. Backdating would become a massive undertaking. Cheers for reply.

merantau
08-01-2019, 04:54 PM
I'm going to throw a party when I get to 50. It will be epic. Go Dogs!

Eastdog
08-01-2019, 10:06 PM
My 2019 Western Bulldogs bumper sticker proudly displayed on the back of my car. Go Dogs!

https://i.postimg.cc/t7Xm0H43/168-F6-FF2-227-D-41-E9-AD5-D-4034-BB7-A59-D1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/t7Xm0H43)

Twodogs
08-01-2019, 11:19 PM
My 2019 Western Bulldogs bumper sticker proudly displayed on the back of my car. Go Dogs!

https://i.postimg.cc/t7Xm0H43/168-F6-FF2-227-D-41-E9-AD5-D-4034-BB7-A59-D1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/t7Xm0H43)

Most people go with the horizontal application but you ain't most people Easty!

Eastdog
08-01-2019, 11:22 PM
Most people go with the horizontal application but you ain't most people Easty!

It is actually horizontal I just took the photo vertically :)

Much prefer the horizontal application.

Axe Man
09-01-2019, 09:51 AM

Don't want to alarm you but your car appears to have rolled onto it's side.

Mofra
09-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Forgot to nominate for the beanie, got a cap instead.
I'm running out of foreigners to donate bulldogs merchandise to (converted a couple of Kiwis at least who now call themselves Bulldog fans).

Eastdog
09-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Don't want to alarm you but your car appears to have rolled onto it's side.

No certainly not.

bornadog
09-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Forgot to nominate for the beanie, got a cap instead.
I'm running out of foreigners to donate bulldogs merchandise to (converted a couple of Kiwis at least who now call themselves Bulldog fans).

I gave almost 50 caps and scarves to the homeless a few years ago. :o

EasternWest
09-01-2019, 03:04 PM
I gave almost 50 caps and scarves to the homeless a few years ago. :o

Prior to 2016 that would have been a cruel and unusual punishment.

bornadog
09-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Prior to 2016 that would have been a cruel and unusual punishment.

:D

Better than being homeless and cold

Happy Days
09-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Pretty funny that the AFLW pack comes with a tote bag and a keep cup.

Axe Man
09-01-2019, 06:18 PM
:D

Better than being homeless and cold

If I was homeless and cold and somebody offered me a GWS scarf and cap I would politely decline. I would still be homeless and cold but at least I would still have my dignity.

bornadog
09-01-2019, 06:23 PM
If I was homeless and cold and somebody offered me a GWS scarf and cap I would politely decline. I would still be homeless and cold but at least I would still have my dignity.

That's different. :D :D

Grantysghost
10-01-2019, 01:17 PM
I'm going to throw a party when I get to 50. It will be epic. Go Dogs!

This is what you've got to look forward to. Mum's membership this year, she was very happy I'm sure she will be showing it off at the first Marvel game :cool:.

Link to photo here (https://imgur.com/a/SWzFFAj)

Eastdog
10-01-2019, 05:09 PM
Here is a better photo of my 2019 WB member sticker:

https://i.postimg.cc/2V7MpqGj/AC7-FDDB1-4601-4-B01-ACE4-36868-E547559.jpg (https://postimg.cc/2V7MpqGj)

Eastdog
10-01-2019, 05:55 PM
This is what you've got to look forward to. Mum's membership this year, she was very happy I'm sure she will be showing it off at the first Marvel game :cool:.

Link to photo here (https://imgur.com/a/SWzFFAj)

Cool scarf Grantysghost.

Daughter of the West
14-01-2019, 10:34 PM
I have to say, I am really impressed with the baby pack this year.

They included a long sleeved onesie - both with Member 2019 AND my pup's name printed on it, it's freakin' fabulous! It's going to be on heavy wardrobe rotation ;)

The little kid's pack was pretty good too. Now to just get mine...

Eastdog
05-03-2019, 02:19 PM
2019 membership campaign:

https://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-05/do-you-belong-to-the-west?camefrom=EMCL_2769853_130398078

There’s something truly remarkable about the west.

It’s the people, and their connection to place, which is unique in a very special way.

It’s about ambition, pride, determination, and a real sense of belonging.

It’s about our community, and embracing what is beautifully different about it.

And in the heart of the west lies the Western Bulldogs Football Club, a place which exists to bring people together and create lasting memories, as much as it strives to win premierships.

You can feel it when you walk into the Whitten Oval, and you can see it in our players when they’re hunting the football on the weekend.

It’s written in the script for the Club’s 2019 membership campaign, Belong to the West.

It is the story of belonging. Of place. Solid and strong.

It is the story of grit. Hard like steel.

No holding back. No saying it’s hard.

It is the story of youth.

The fire-bright eyes, fearless and unafraid.

It’s in the theme for the campaign’s artwork, which unveils a rich tapestry that defines what makes the west unique, standing proudly behind player imagery, strong and forward-looking.

And it’s reflected in the Club’s new social media hashtag, #MightyWest. Just like the words in our team song, it’s who we are.

The Bulldogs will enter the upcoming season full of hope, optimism and excitement, and they do so knowing they have the whole of the west standing alongside them.

Will you Belong to the West in 2019?

Eastdog
05-03-2019, 05:01 PM
How’s our membership tally tracking?

Eastdog
14-03-2019, 09:54 PM
I’m looking forward to catching up with all my Bulldog people next week at the footy. I’m on Level 1 Aisle 33. Any woofers around here?

Scraggers
14-03-2019, 11:41 PM
How many other members got an email today saying they were in a raffle for being a Member for over 10 years?

I'm still waiting for the over 20 years raffle :cool:

Hotdog60
14-03-2019, 11:45 PM
How many other members got an email today saying they were in a raffle for being a Member for over 10 years?

Yes I got mine. If I win a couple of those prizes I won't need them. Maybe a woof raffle of the lounge pass or change room pass and proceeds can go to the site or a charity.

G-Mo77
15-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Yep got it.

Doc26
15-03-2019, 11:22 AM

As are the 40 year plus members. We love a good raffle.

ledge
15-03-2019, 08:08 PM
If I win the passes I will hand them down to my great nephew he is 18 has autism and the one thing he knows inside out is his bulldogs.
His first senior season playing at Melton south this year, just loves his football.

Axe Man
18-03-2019, 06:54 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/HWRPBC7B/54727962-10157009964717487-9049938040511791104-n.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mh3wgJjH)

GVGjr
18-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Thast an awesome line-up, will have to try and log on for a listen

WBFC4FFC
19-03-2019, 08:29 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/HWRPBC7B/54727962-10157009964717487-9049938040511791104-n.jpg (https://postimg.cc/mh3wgJjH)

Buy a 3 Game Membership and you receive a Fully Year Membership (Today only). Peeved I did not hang-out until now to get one.

Eastdog
19-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Buy a 3 Game Membership and you receive a Fully Year Membership (Today only). Peeved I did not hang-out until now to get one.

I wonder how many members we got from this initiative today.

Bulldog4life
19-03-2019, 09:46 PM

I was going to buy on Sat nite but when I heard of offer bought 2 today. Great saving. Dropped out of Social club as we are moving interstate.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 11:16 PM
I was going to buy on Sat nite but when I heard of offer bought 2 today. Great saving. Dropped out of Social club as we are moving interstate.

Hope you can still attend some games.

Bulldog4life
19-03-2019, 11:19 PM
Hope you can still attend some games.

Will be there sat night for sure BAD. Not intending to move till mid year.

The Adelaide Connection
19-03-2019, 11:40 PM

This is a ridiculous offer. I hope it attracts lots of new members or members that weren’t going to renew (for financial reasons or otherwise) rather than just mean that a whole bunch of people who were going to sign up anyway did it for a fraction of the price.

I’ve managed to convince a some mates who live in Melbourne to sign up. They were coming to Saturday’s game with me and were likely to be slugged $30+ish even for the cheapest ticket anyway.

bornadog
01-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Just hit 40,000

Last year around the same time it was 41,759

Grantysghost
01-05-2019, 04:39 PM
Just hit 40,000

Slightly concerning such a huge portion of revenue. I've noticed some of the coterie groups are down on previous seasons as well.

bornadog
01-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Slightly concerning such a huge portion of revenue. I've noticed some of the coterie groups are down on previous seasons as well.

I hate the way a proportion of our members are bandwagoners.

Carlton just hit 60,000, and they have won 4 games in the last 35 odd.

hujsh
01-05-2019, 05:33 PM
I hate the way a proportion of our members are bandwagoners.

Carlton just hit 60,000, and they have won 4 games in the last 35 odd.
Call it bandwagoning if you want but I don’t blame people for not wanting to watch this team and therefore not spending money on something they don’t want. Watching us play is a frustrating and rarely rewarding experience. We either have a close low scoring slugfest ( with plenty of point per goal) or we get smashed.

bornadog
01-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Call it bandwagoning if you want but I don’t blame people for not wanting to watch this team and therefore not spending money on something they don’t want. Watching us play is a frustrating and rarely rewarding experience. We either have a close low scoring slugfest ( with plenty of point per goal) or we get smashed.

Why do other teams attract a huge following then even when they don't play well? They stick with their club through thick and thin.

As I have said previously, a membership is not a ticket to a game, it is to support your club.

G-Mo77
01-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Why do other teams attract a huge following then even when they don't play well? They stick with their club through thick and thin.

As I have said previously, a membership is not a ticket to a game, it is to support your club.

They've just got more members. All clubs have their base of supporters who will go through thick and thin and then the bandwagoners. Unfortunately for us we blew our chance to expand on our base members as much as we should have so we're going to experience a significant drop off. If we did actually have "sustained success" since 2016 we'd probably be at 50k right now.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2019, 09:25 PM

We have never had a huge membership base compared to the likes of Collingwood Carlton and Essendon not forgetting the surge at Clubs like Richmond Hawthorn and Geelong who have been successful in recent times. Given our history over the past 3 years I would have thought 40,000 to be about par given our past history.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Recent big losses

2017 after the bye: 46 57 59 48
2018: 82 51 54 49 57 63 50 54 44
2019: 50

14 big losses- this is what kills membership.

The team has not been competitive and that is now the expectation.

bornadog
02-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Recent big losses

You back up my point, bandwagoners dropping off.

A membership is more than a ticket to a game.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 12:47 PM
You back up my point, bandwagoners dropping off.

A membership is more than a ticket to a game.

Sorry, the problem is deeper than that and the selection committee is making a serious mistake by not recognising it.

(Many) Members are angry. When they don’t believe the selected team is the best possible, and they are stunned by the dramatic decline over the last 30 games, the bond is weakened.

bornadog
02-05-2019, 12:56 PM
Sorry, the problem is deeper than that and the selection committee is making a serious mistake by not recognising it.

(Many) Members are angry. When they don’t believe the selected team is the best possible, and they are stunned by the dramatic decline over the last 30 games, the bond is weakened.

You stick to your club through thick and thin.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 01:15 PM
You stick to your club through thick and thin.

In the modern era the club is selling a product - success.

The members no longer live around the corner from the ground. They have to get a reward for their commitment and it is not happening.

Personally, I am still angry after the Carlton fiasco. I expected the result from the moment I saw the team structure. Even worse, others are angry too.

The membership growth depends on continuing success, they go to see wins not experimentation or team development taking years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2019, 01:18 PM

If I ever had an inkling that our selection committee made any decisions based on the dissatisfaction of ANYONE outside the inner sanctum of the club, much less a group of disgruntled supporters.. that would cause me to question the direction our club was going.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 01:27 PM
If I ever had an inkling that our selection committee made any decisions based on the dissatisfaction of ANYONE outside the inner sanctum of the club, much less a group of disgruntled supporters.. that would cause me to question the direction our club was going.

That’s the best summary of the problem I have seen. The club exists for the inner sanctum who have sent the team to the bottom of the ladder. If the inner sanctum thought the selected team was going to defeat Carlton they should get out more.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2019, 01:41 PM
That’s the best summary of the problem I have seen. The club exists for the inner sanctum who have sent the team to the bottom of the ladder. If the inner sanctum thought the selected team was going to defeat Carlton they should get out more.

Anyone outside of the club, has absolutely no access to knowledge about the players, other than some stats. You have zero idea as to team strategy, zero input on player KPI's.
If you walked into a team selection meeting at any club and said 'OK Fella's Player A had 5 kicks more than Player B...therefore player A 100% was better than player B and should not get dropped..they'd call security on you.
The fact is we can debate, offer opinions as to who should be in and the structure of the team. It's fun. But it is the height of arrogance to presume match committee should take their cues from anyone outside of the internal professional domain.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Recent big losses

I feel depressed.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Anyone outside of the club, has absolutely no access to knowledge about the players, other than some stats. You have zero idea as to team strategy, zero input on player KPI's.
If you walked into a team selection meeting at any club and said 'OK Fella's Player A had 5 kicks more than Player B...therefore player A 100% was better than player B and should not get dropped..they'd call security on you.
The fact is we can debate, offer opinions as to who should be in and the structure of the team. It's fun. But it is the height of arrogance to presume match committee should take their cues from anyone outside of the internal professional domain.

The key word is professional. That implies responsibility.

14 big losses in 30 games. They own them.

Occasional wins are usually against teams at the bottom of the ladder.

That’s not going to grow the membership. It is not a product that ordinary people usually buy.

Time to start acting differently, that is what a professional would do.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 02:17 PM

I like your example “had 5 kicks more “.

Against Carlton one quarter of the team had 5 kicks or less.

Eight other players had 6,7 or 8.

Maybe the professionals might like to spend some time thinking about this.

Non-professionals have concluded that kicking is a relevant KPI when the game is football.

hujsh
02-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Non-professionals have concluded that kicking is a relevant KPI when the game is football.

Sounds like Ed Barlow>Dale Morris then

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2019, 02:26 PM

That’s not going to grow the membership. It is not a product that ordinary people usually buy.

Danjul I wholeheartedly agree that the club needs to be accountable.
Just not to fans or armchair experts.
Any professional organisation that doesn't demand accountability I'd have grave concerns about.
I think its fair to have concerns, and to articulate those concerns and to debate those concerns.
But producing a list of the thumpings we've had and holding that up as, evidence that the club is losing the plot, that's crazy. That is a noutcome, not cause.
There are a number of cogent pieces of data that mitigate or explain those poor resultst especially last year.

And again that's not to let them off the hook. We should expect better and at a certain point if there is no change then that accountability needs to come into play.
But using number of kicks per game as proof of a match committee playing favourites, or listing our beltings as proof our match committee is out of touch is actually mischevious at best.

bornadog
02-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Therein lies the issue with Westernbulldogs supporters not wanting to be a member of THE CLUB

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Yes, its important.. but in any endeavour where multiple variables are at plsy, you can't just assume primacy for just one bloody piece of data to the exclusion of the other pieces of data.
Even your kicks example, you're attributing causality, when its not, its a correlation...

Danjul
02-05-2019, 03:04 PM
Yes, its important.. but in any endeavour where multiple variables are at plsy, you can't just assume primacy for just one bloody piece of data to the exclusion of the other pieces of data.
Even your kicks example, you're attributing causality, when its not, its a correlation...

Many non-mathematicians use correlation to distract from causation.

Riewoldt kicks 2 goals for every behind. Dickson might be better.

The kicking the dogs supporters see week after week is terrible and shows no sign of improvement.

Bad technique is causing bad scoring.

ThatÂ’s why, in 30 games, the team had scored more than 12 goals on only 8 occasions.

And bad scoring causes losing.

And bad field kicking is causing turnovers. Which also cause losing.

I humbly suggest that KPIs are not all created equal. And quality kicking is 90% of what causes wins in football.

And winning causes bigger memberships, which is the whole point of having the club.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-05-2019, 03:43 PM

The kicking the dogs supporters see week after week is terrible and shows no sign of improvement.

ThatÂ’s why, in 30 games, the team had scored more than 12 goals on only 8 occasions.

I humbly suggest that KPIs are not all created equal. And quality kicking is 90% of what causes wins in football.

And winning causes bigger memberships, which is the whole point of having the club.

Don't disagree with any of your observations about bad technique, bad scoring, bad kicking etc. None at all.
I just disagree with some of your conclusions you are extrapolating from those.

And again whilst some KPI's may be more important, they aren't to the total exclusion of others, and that is how you presented the Fletcher situation.
Fletcher Roberts gets kicks, kicks are the best. Therefore he should be in the side over someone else who has less kicks.

Or we have had x huge losses over 2 years therefore our club has no idea what its doing.
I disagree strongly with you, but I am absolutely thrilled that you're making your voice heard on WOOF and creating conversation.

hujsh
02-05-2019, 05:09 PM

You’ve failed to address the first part of that equation though. You keep bringing up the number of kicks but that doesn’t address the quality of them. I’d take 5 kicks from Gilbee over 20 from Dunkley. Then there’s the fact that you’ve mostly talked about defenders who have many other defensive metrics they need to satisfy

Danjul
02-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Don't disagree with any of your observations about bad technique, bad scoring, bad kicking etc. None at all.
I just disagree with some of your conclusions you are extrapolating from those.

And again whilst some KPI's may be more important, they aren't to the total exclusion of others, and that is how you presented the Fletcher situation.
Fletcher Roberts gets kicks, kicks are the best. Therefore he should be in the side over someone else who has less kicks.

Or we have had x huge losses over 2 years therefore our club has no idea what its doing.

I disagree strongly with you, but I am absolutely thrilled that you're making your voice heard on WOOF and creating conversation.

My comments have been directed towards the membership decline but I will broaden it to include Roberts (another thread).

A friend of mine went to a vfl game (last year I think) and he was at the fence. One of the Footscray players had the ball and went to handball to Roberts. My friend was close enough to hear Roberts shout “ kick it downfield “. He could have taken a cheap possession, many would.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 05:55 PM
You’ve failed to address the first part of that equation though. You keep bringing up the number of kicks but that doesn’t address the quality of them. I’d take 5 kicks from Gilbee over 20 from Dunkley. Then there’s the fact that you’ve mostly talked about defenders who have many other defensive metrics they need to satisfy

Here I have been talking about the kicking skills not being displayed by our forwards and midfielders.

And Dunkley is the perfect example of what I am saying. The closer he gets to goal the worse his kicking becomes. Now he (and some others) try to avoid kicking a set shot at goal when they are 40metres out. I have seen him handball 20 backwards to avoid the shot.

Get Barry Hall to give him 10 hours of one one coaching and he will become a match winner. He could kick like Gilbee 20+ times a game with targeted help. That would give the members a reason to go to the footy.

Scraggers
02-05-2019, 06:18 PM

The members no longer live around the corner from the ground. They have to get a reward for their commitment and it is not happening.

Personally, I am still angry after the Carlton fiasco. I expected the result from the moment I saw the team structure. Even worse, others are angry too.

The membership growth depends on continuing success, they go to see wins not experimentation or team development taking years.

I love your passion, and am reading this thread with great interest, but some of your statements are just wrong. Carlton have had 16 wins since the end of the 2015 season (including a wooden spoon) and still have 60,000 members this year. They are definitely not selling success.

I have been a fully member of the Bulldogs since 1997 (also for 5 years previous to then but not in successive years). I live in Perth. My membership is not based on wins/losses, it never has been; therefore I am happy to say, I am not a Bandwagoner. I would hazard a guess that most member of WOOF are the same, and most of the 40,000 are as well. the 10K members we picked up straight after the Premiership were great for the club, but were never sustainable. Some of that is to do with on-field performance, but not all of it.

Eastdog
02-05-2019, 06:22 PM
I’ve been a WB supporter since the early 2000s and a WB member since 2013. When we aren’t going well that is when we need our members the most. I’m on the Bulldog train no matter what.

We have people who for financial reasons may not afford the top memberships on offer so that’s understandable but if you are in a position finanically to support the club it is a great thing to put something in even if it’s the least expensive membership on offer by the club.

GVGjr
02-05-2019, 06:45 PM

I sort of agree with what you are saying, too many people were happy to go through the motions in 2017 and I think our average performance since the flag had a massive impact on our membership numbers. Had we backed up our success of 2016 with a top 4 or 6 finish in 2017 we would be a lot closer now to having 50K members. That would be a great number for us.

When momentum is stopped it's just so hard get started again. You can quickly lose growth over a 3 or 4 year period in a season or two.

Off field we have been fantastic with new teams introduced and strong profit performances but we just needed stronger on field performances than we have produced and that has been a difficult challenge for us.
I think the club has been very well managed but if I am to be critical perhaps we have been a bit too patient with our on field results.

If we can get some momentum back this year, back it up in 2020 then we will win back a lot more members.

Most of us here at Bulldogs for life regardless of our position on the ladder but we are fighting to win back others that place a premium on being entertained and getting results.

GVGjr
02-05-2019, 07:02 PM
I love your passion, and am reading this thread with great interest, but some of your statements are just wrong. Carlton have had 16 wins since the end of the 2015 season (including a wooden spoon) and still have 60,000 members this year. They are definitely not selling success.

I have been a fully member of the Bulldogs since 1997 (also for 5 years previous to then but not in successive years). I live in Perth. My membership is not based on wins/losses, it never has been; therefore I am happy to say, I am not a Bandwagoner. I would hazard a guess that most member of WOOF are the same, and most of the 40,000 are as well. the 10K members we picked up straight after the Premiership were great for the club, but were never sustainable. Some of that is to do with on-field performance, but not all of it.

The market has changed though Scraggers, many people can watch us every week on the TV and if they don't feel like we are going to be competitive they might as well stay home an watch it from there. Memberships aren't the be all and end all to a lot of people now and the task for the club is to win those people that more or less sit on the fence.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 07:11 PM
The market has changed though Scraggers, many people can watch us every week on the TV and if they don't feel like we are going to be competitive they might as well stay home an watch it from there. Memberships aren't the be all and end all to a lot of people now and the task for the club is to win those people that more or less sit on the fence.

Not only those people but children generally.

They are exposed to football and replays and commentators. And they go for the winners.

If anyone is basing their thoughts on their own history with the club they are being short sighted.

Today, the team is playing for future members.

Danjul
02-05-2019, 07:18 PM

I have been going to Bulldog games for more than 60 years and I know that many of the Carlton members are products of past success (multiple premierships). They got kids and now have their grandchildren.

Same with Richmond. My son used to wear a Richmond jumper to primary school. Guess who was winning premierships then.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-05-2019, 07:05 PM
One word.... reproduction. We are going to have to breed more bulldog supporters. My Catholic grandparents produced 13 children.
I can see Peter Gordon heading a video campaign extolling "have one for mum, one for dad and a dozen for the bulldogs" ( with apologies to Peter Costello)

ledge
03-05-2019, 07:25 PM
What is our membership at , anyone know?

bornadog
03-05-2019, 11:51 PM
What is our membership at , anyone know?

Yeah the thread went off the rails when I posted it. We just ticked over 40,000 at the beginning of the week

HOSE B ROMERO
04-05-2019, 12:31 PM
Hopefully a win against the tigers will bump the membership along.

bornadog
21-05-2019, 05:11 PM

GVGjr
21-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the update BAD, we might limp into 41K

Just a couple of years ago we thought 50K was an albeit an outside chance.

comrade
23-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the update BAD, we might limp into 41K

Just a couple of years ago we thought 50K was an albeit an outside chance.

It wasn't long ago that low 30s was the norm. We'll get to 50K at some point.

bornadog
05-07-2019, 05:22 PM

751 off last years total

merantau
05-07-2019, 07:09 PM

751 off last years total

That's a good result considering.

The Adelaide Connection
06-07-2019, 12:05 PM

751 off last years total

If we are able to knock off Geelong we may just see a late run on 3 gamers.
It’ll get them the Melbourne game, the Freo game, and the Essendon game (replacement).

Bulldog4life
07-07-2019, 10:50 AM
If we are able to knock off Geelong we may just see a late run on 3 gamers.
It’ll get them the Melbourne game, the Freo game, and the Essendon game (replacement).

Wise words AC

GVGjr
15-07-2019, 07:00 PM

All things considered, an impressive number

bornadog
29-07-2019, 10:01 AM
https://scontent.fmel2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67312916_10157323636677487_1728543660250759168_o.jpg?_nc_cat =102&_nc_oc=AQltYU9ap_3KxFZPe1LP5RLdfpgsHUpyAkaJWLBe2Ulu1VaNrSgFP V_9xgYkdiF84g8&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel2-1.fna&oh=5cd125fa8774477b76072081a9d35418&oe=5DACD2C7

Eastdog
29-07-2019, 10:39 AM
I’ll be part of it again in 2020 in my same reserve seat but first we have a final series to make. Go Dogs!

Bulldog4life
07-08-2019, 04:38 PM
2019 MEMBERSHIP TALLIES

Richmond: 103,358 (2018 tally: 100,726)

West Coast: 90,445 (80,290)

Collingwood: 85,226 (75,507)

Essendon: 84,237 (79,319)

Hawthorn: 81,211 (80,302)

Geelong: 65,063 (63,818)

Adelaide: 64,437 (64,739)

Carlton: 64,269 (56,005)

Sydney: 61,912 (60,934)

Melbourne: 52,421 (44,275)

Port Adelaide: 51,951 (54,386)

Fremantle: 51,431 (55,639)

Western Bulldogs: 44,373 (43,246)

St Kilda: 43,038 (46,301)

North Melbourne: 42,419 (40,789)

GWS Giants: 30,109 (24,243)

Brisbane Lions: 28,023 (24,867)

Gold Coast: 13,649 (12,108)

Grantysghost
07-08-2019, 04:43 PM
That Tigers number has to be fabricated. 20k more than the Pies who were runners up?

bornadog
07-08-2019, 04:54 PM
That Tigers number has to be fabricated. 20k more than the Pies who were runners up?

A lot of fabricated numbers when you look at GWS for example. Also, three game, one game special memberships should not be included.

Cyberdoggie
07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
A lot of fabricated numbers when you look at GWS for example. Also, three game, one game special memberships should not be included.

Yeah it's a bs stat.

They should really just quote revenue from membership sales.
How much do we make compared to Collingwood for example. I'm sure they will be more than double our figure.

bornadog
07-08-2019, 05:02 PM
Yeah it's a bs stat.

They should really just quote revenue from membership sales.
How much do we make compared to Collingwood for example. I'm sure they will be more than double our figure.

Should be pure members with 11 home game ticket, and each person counted once - then $$$ as you say.

ledge
07-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Just put membership revenue.

Eastdog
07-08-2019, 08:10 PM
One day will get 50K hopefully.

HOSE B ROMERO
07-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Should be pure members with 11 home game ticket, and each person counted once - then $$$ as you say.

Yep, always been my view too.

bulldogtragic
05-03-2020, 09:44 AM
Just hit 40,000

Bump. BAD's post here is 1 May, 2019.

2017 - around 41,000 members (5 April, 2017 - nearly a month still to run to 1 May) (47,000 final tally)
2018 - around 42,000 members (43,246 final tally)
2019 - around 40,000 members (44,373 final tally)
2020 - around 37,000 members (with almost two months to go)

In 2017, we were coming off a flag and the bandwagon effect was at its peak. 47,000 a club record at membership close.
In 2018, we clearly didn't perform well enough to move the tally much from May to membership close.
In 2019, our late season form seems to have injected a 10% bandwagon growth in memberships between May to membership close.
In 2020, 50,000 looks a long day away based on the last two years. But we should be able to secure something like 40,000-42,000 like previous years. If we are winning, the bandwagon effect should see us to around 45,000 like last year.

LostDoggy
14-03-2020, 01:01 AM
No need to stress about this now!!!

bornadog
14-03-2020, 12:54 PM
No need to stress about this now!!!

Especially 2019 :D