PDA

View Full Version : Blues, Suns to get access to top state league players

bornadog
24-09-2018, 06:43 PM
CARLTON and Gold Coast will be given special "outside national draft" access to the top state league players as part of assistance packages signed off by the AFL Commission.

Under the plan, the bottom two teams from this season will be able to recruit, or on-trade, the state league players without giving up a draft pick.

It is believed the Blues and the Suns will have the right to on-trade the players they identify, in exchange for draft picks from other clubs.

While the AFL commission thrashed out the matter at today’s annual Brownlow Medal day meeting, it is understood full details of the assistance packages are still being analysed.

Both Carlton and Gold Coast will get access to at least one player each under this assistance package.

The Suns were hoping for permission to add or on-trade three state league players.

link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-24/afl-gives-blues-suns-special-access-to-state-league-players)

SlimPickens
24-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Assume this is instead of a priority pick?

GVGjr
24-09-2018, 07:02 PM
Assume this is instead of a priority pick?

It's being reported that the AFL have knocked back Carltons application for a PP so it appears likely

Testekill
24-09-2018, 07:04 PM
It was the right idea; Suns & Blues don't need more kids going into the meat grinder with every one being pushed back in the line, get some mature players that have genuine hunger and they should at least contribute.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2018, 07:06 PM
If it's a straight choice of PP or this, I prefer this.

Go_Dogs
24-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Still a free hit, but don't mind this.

bulldogtragic
24-09-2018, 07:31 PM
If Carlton in particular are identifying VFL players to trade, they might want to start with about 30 of the senior listed players.

But Liam Jones, he's heading into a contract year so you know it's going to be ok.

Whose relevant now Jack, hand in cap to the commission?

Grantysghost
24-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Carlton have made a strategic decision to offload senior talent (Gibbs, Touhey etc) knowing they would bottom out. How on earth can this be rewarded ? Gold Coast I get it's not their doing or strategy but the Blues? Bah. AFL making it up as they go .

azabob
24-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Isn’t it counter productive to on trade the state league players?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-09-2018, 09:05 PM
I'd certainly love to understand the rationale behind them being able to on trade the mature aged player.
Is it actually the AFL considering the impact of a priority pick on other clubs? Maybe they are anticipating the likely impact of significant FA compo picks on clubs' natural draft pick and aren't keen on further exacerbating that with more artificial picks..

hujsh
24-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Tom Browne supposedly reporting Carlton will not be allowed to trade the top ups.

GVGjr
24-09-2018, 10:34 PM
Isn’t it counter productive to on trade the state league players?

It gives them currency without every team having to slide every other team down the order

westdog54
24-09-2018, 11:13 PM
Its essentially a repeat of one of the concessions GWS and GC had when they were launched.

I cab stomach this far more than I can priority picks but its still open to manipulation.

FrediKanoute
25-09-2018, 02:32 AM
Yes its manipulation, but really, how many state league guys are likely to go top 10 in the draft? ow about top 20? top 30?

Whilst we are linked with Hayes, the Amo guy, the forward from Werribee etc, we are linked with taking them at a pick 60+. yes they may turn out to be gun footballers, but most guys plucked from state league are role players not out and out guns.

I'd much prefer this than priority picks.....

GVGjr
25-09-2018, 07:37 AM
This is the kick start to live trading on draft night. It's been conjured up to add some drama to the night

choconmientay
25-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Knightmare named players on his twister who would gets a look:

With two state leaguers to join Carlton and Gold Coast respectively. I'd regard Mitch Maguire (mid/fwd), Josh Corbett (KPF), Sam Collins (KPD), and Mitch Grigg (mid/fwd) those four best choices to join clubs in 2019, though far from the only worthy choices (https://twitter.com/ChrisDoerreESPN/status/1044180373821747201)

It's unclear whether either club can trade them. My view is Maguire/Corbett/Collins are worth second round picks. Grigg a late pick.

Other names mentioned in his posts:
Jye Bolton
Schloithe
Gibbons
Shane McAdam (Sturt) and Chris Burgess (West)