PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Sam Lloyd

bulldogtragic
02-10-2018, 01:57 PM
AFEL.com.au

FRINGE Richmond forward Sam Lloyd will be playing for the Western Bulldogs next year.

His manager Robbie D'Orazio confirmed the news to NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday.

"Sam will get to the Dogs, which I'm excited about," D'Orazio said.

"He's just one that's probably the unluckiest player in the AFL this year. He's been the 23rd man most weeks at Richmond, who were obviously on top of the ladder for most of the year."

bulldogtragic
02-10-2018, 02:02 PM
Quote from his manager:

Sam Lloyd will get to the western bulldogs. He's been the 23rd man at Richmond all year. Great person and great work ethic. He'll do well at the Dogs.

chef
02-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Good get. Will be a handy player for us.

Greystache
02-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Happy with that. Some mature coverage who can play a role when needed. You'd think he has 2-3 years left in him.

EasternWest
02-10-2018, 03:32 PM
I'm happy to have him.

josie
02-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Can kick straight - yep good get considering injury cloud in Dicko and Picko.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Overview career stats:

28yo
180cm
83kg

57 Games
69 Goals
33 Behinds (Better than 66%)

Averages, give or take:

14 disposals
4 marks
3 tackles
2.5 inside 50's
.5 goal assists
2 shots at goal (going at 66% conversion)

Testekill
02-10-2018, 04:47 PM
He's basically backup to Dickson, Picken & Gowers. One of them misses more games than he plays, one still has question marks regarding if he'll even get back out there and the other improved his form once he started running through the midfield.

Add that and he's dirt cheap and it's a no brainer.

Bulldog Joe
02-10-2018, 05:09 PM
He will also qualify as an eker for our list

FrediKanoute
02-10-2018, 06:55 PM
I don't see what this guy brings. If its essentially a free transfer or exchange of late picks fine, but a 28 year old who has struggled to cement a spot in a team that up until the last 2 years has been sh*t is not the sort of guy we should be bringing in if we want to seriously challenge.

AndrewP6
02-10-2018, 07:41 PM
I don't see what this guy brings. If its essentially a free transfer or exchange of late picks fine, but a 28 year old who has struggled to cement a spot in a team that up until the last 2 years has been sh*t is not the sort of guy we should be bringing in if we want to seriously challenge.

Agreed. He'll be 29 by the time next season starts, 57 games in 5 years doesn't exactly strike me with great confidence.

Go_Dogs
02-10-2018, 07:41 PM
We should make Richmond give us a pick for taking the money off their books.

The Underdog
02-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Agreed. He'll be 29 by the time next season starts, 57 games in 5 years doesn't exactly strike me with great confidence.

Yeah but he averages more than a goal a game, so if he plays 22, he probably wins our goal kicking.

bulldogsman
02-10-2018, 08:05 PM
Not a fan, but if he was on our list this year he probably plays every game.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2018, 08:10 PM
We should make Richmond give us a pick for taking the money off their books.

And that's the value of the trade. When a manager comes out and picks a club like a baseballer picking where he's hitting it, that means to me from what he said it will be as uncontracted player, delisted free agent or nothing trade (like our pick in the 80's). Which is as good as getting him as a PSD or DFA. This trade doesn't thrill me so much I'm not sleeping until the end of round 1 next year, but we will be giving up next to nothing. So it's a money ball trade with next to no risk. If Picko gets a head hit, Dicko a bad hammy or Webb/Dale/Greene don't have solid form, then he's playing next year a fair bit. So let's see what happens is my thought.

Edit: from all reports he trains hard and is a solid citizen. If we are rebuilding the culture in the playing group. These are traits we need more of.

Scraggers
02-10-2018, 08:56 PM
https://youtu.be/gn5drOY6VWc

This is from 2016, but his highlight reel looks good.

G-Mo77
02-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Nothing lost and strengthens our depth. He'll be best 22 with us and be a walk up start in Round 1.

Ozza
03-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Nothing lost and strengthens our depth. He'll be best 22 with us and be a walk up start in Round 1.

It also doesn't matter if he is not best 22 immediately. We're not going to be giving up much, you wouldn't think he's getting paid more than the average (likely less) and he starts in front of at least 15 on our list.

I'm not sure who people expect us to fill the remaining spots on the list with? We are already one of the youngest lists in the league, and we'll be adding several 18 year olds. We can ABSOLUTELY afford to be adding in a 28/29 year old into the mix, while still targeting a top liner like Wingard also.

SlimPickens
03-10-2018, 10:33 AM
It also doesn't matter if he is not best 22 immediately. We're not going to be giving up much, you wouldn't think he's getting paid more than the average (likely less) and he starts in front of at least 15 on our list.

I'm not sure who people expect us to fill the remaining spots on the list with? We are already one of the youngest lists in the league, and we'll be adding several 18 year olds. We can ABSOLUTELY afford to be adding in a 28/29 year old into the mix, while still targeting a top liner like Wingard also.

Couldn't agree more Ozza. Sam has his limitations but i see the addition of midfield time this year and his obvious forward talent as a great acquisition to the squad. I reckon he would feel like he has a point to prove, which is never a bad thing.

Remi Moses
03-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Reasonable fit at a cheap price .

Bulldog Revolution
03-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Worth a go - natural forward who is good one on one - has been a popular clubman so hopefully is a good guy with a work ethic

Love the thread title!

SquirrelGrip
03-10-2018, 03:57 PM
If he can do this, I’ll cope with him ....

https://youtu.be/gn5drOY6VWc

bornadog
03-10-2018, 04:30 PM
If he can do this, I’ll cope with him ....

What's happened to him the last two years. He has only played 6 and 5 games, and that is my concern.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2018, 04:38 PM
What's happened to him the last two years. He has only played 6 and 5 games, and that is my concern.

Martin got mega consistent as a mid that goes forward, Rioli has bloomed in a similar forward role, Prestia & Caddy came in as mid/forwards, Higgins surprised up forward first year up and their other high pressure forwards were fighting for spots in the team. Combined with the fact they had next to no injuries. If they had our injury list and has fit, he would've played at least 30 games. In the VFL the reports were that he was close to dominant over the last two years. Contending teams often lose players on the fringe wanting more game time, we lost some, Hawthorn lost a fair few etc.

Rocket Science
03-10-2018, 04:41 PM

I reckon Daniel Rioli happened, that's what.

That and the advent of Higgins, Martin & Caddy eating up more forward time.

Mantis
03-10-2018, 04:42 PM

He's been passed by the likes of Rioli, Butler, Castangna, Higgins & Bolton.

bornadog
03-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Martin got mega consistent as a mid that goes forward, Rioli has bloomed in a similar forward role, Prestia & Caddy .

I reckon Daniel Rioli happened, that's what.

That and the advent of Higgins, Martin & Caddy eating up more forward time.

So he is not a best 22 player :)

I am not sold, but will remain open minded.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2018, 04:48 PM
So he is not a best 22 player :)

I am not sold, but will remain open minded.

Of Richmond in Premiership year, then a preliminary final year. Sure.

Of our squad. He's probably best 22.

Not every acquisition can be a big exciting one. Sometimes a Hamling or a Biggs wins you a premiership.

Ozza
03-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Not every acquisition can be a big exciting one. Sometimes a Hamling or a Biggs wins you a premiership.

Don't be so reasonable BT.
Its trade time. Which means you have to get players into the club who are all guns, but also not pay them too much and not definitely not give away draft picks on them - which of course you would have used only on the stars and steals of this years draft.
Got it? :p

bulldogtragic
03-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Don't be so reasonable BT.
Its trade time. Which means you have to get players into the club who are all guns, but also not pay them too much and not definitely not give away draft picks on them - which of course you would have used only on the stars and steals of this years draft.
Got it? :p

My bad Mr Ozza. I promise it won't happen again. :D

Ozza
03-10-2018, 05:29 PM

There's also a game style element to it. Richmond's manic, handball and forward pressure type style suits the players above more than it does Lloyd.

If the last few rounds of our season are anything to go by, a higher kick/mark game may be more suitable for Lloyd to fit into (which is how Hardwick had the Tigers play in 2015/16 when Lloyd played the majority of games.

Happy Days
03-10-2018, 05:38 PM

There's deeper analysis to it than that though. Biggs and Hamling weren't necessarily picked up because they were outside of good 22s, but were identified as players of a particular skill set and talent that we thought could add something to the side.

Not to say that this isn't why Lloyd has identified, but just stating that its a hard side to break into and leaving the justification there isn't sufficient. That's how you end up with Tim Callan.

SquirrelGrip
03-10-2018, 05:42 PM
There's deeper analysis to it than that though. Biggs and Hamling weren't necessarily picked up because they were outside of good 22s, but were identified as players of a particular skill set and talent that we thought could add something to the side.

Not to say that this isn't why Lloyd has identified, but just stating that its a hard side to break into and leaving the justification there isn't sufficient. That's how you end up with Tim Callan.

Yes, I agree. Plus if you look at the big changes made psychologically by Nathan Buckley his year and Hardwick last year, it was about focusing on the 95% positives rather than negatives. Watching Sam Lloyd’s highlights videos has made me a lot more excited than I had been. He has serious upside with his attacking and goal kicking ability, as long as we have others who compliment his down side. Biggs and Hamling too weren’t great players but we were able to focus on what they were good at and get them to do that as well as possible.

Lloyd has forward nouse and knows where the goals are. Let’s maximise that part of his game.

ledge
03-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Yes, I agree. Plus if you look at the big changes made psychologically by Nathan Buckley his year and Hardwick last year, it was about focusing on the 95% positives rather than negatives. Watching Sam Lloyd’s highlights videos has made me a lot more excited than I had been. He has serious upside with his attacking and goal kicking ability, as long as we have others who compliment his down side. Biggs and Hamling too weren’t great players but we were able to focus on what they were good at and get them to do that as well as possible.

Lloyd has forward nouse and knows where the goals are. Let’s maximise that part of his game.

Not sure about serious upside you do realise he is 29

lemmon
03-10-2018, 06:27 PM
Overview career stats:

28yo
180cm
83kg

57 Games
69 Goals
33 Behinds (Better than 66%)

Averages, give or take:

14 disposals
4 marks
3 tackles
2.5 inside 50's
.5 goal assists
2 shots at goal (going at 66% conversion)

Wonder how those average stats compare to a guy like Nathan Hrovat?

SquirrelGrip
03-10-2018, 06:30 PM
Not sure about serious upside you do realise he is 29

What I mean is that he can play better for us than he did at Richmond. Whether that’s AFL or VFL, who knows. But 2 years from him at a decent level is about the right expectation for a small forward of his age.

bulldogtragic
03-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Wonder how those average stats compare to a guy like Nathan Hrovat?

Hrovat has more games, 64
35 goals
27 behinds (not a heap better than a 50/50 goal accuracy)

16 disposals
3 marks
2.5 tackles
2.2 I50
.4 GA
Less than 1 shot on goal a game, not much over 50% accuracy

Lloyd has Hrovat covered by virtually all stat measures.

Mofra
03-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Costs nothing but likely to play plenty of football with us. God knows we need some quality forward of the ball.
On his career averages he'd finish in the top 3 for our goalkicking award.

bornadog
03-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Costs nothing but likely to play plenty of football with us. God knows we need some quality forward of the ball.
On his career averages he'd finish in the top 3 for our goalkicking award.

That won't be hard, last two years our goal kicking award was won by 24 goals and 26 this year

ReLoad
03-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Any chance we can get Kretiuk to whack him in the hands a few times just for ol' times sake?

lemmon
03-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Don't think he's quite what we need - would prefer a quick, pressure forward - but if he adds some maturity and hits the scoreboard it's a win

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Seems paperwork is being lodged.

Best drop the nearly out mods! :D

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 03:21 PM
Seems paperwork is being lodged.

Best drop the nearly out mods! :D

Asked and answered :)

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 03:22 PM
For pick 64 apparently.

bulldogtragic
15-10-2018, 03:25 PM
For pick 64 apparently.

Must not think we need those 100 draft points.

1eyedog
15-10-2018, 03:58 PM
Done deal pick #64

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-10-15/no-title

SlimPickens
15-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Happy with this deal, a known entity for a low pick seems like good business to me. All the best Sam, hopefully you have a productive career at the kennel

Remi Moses
15-10-2018, 04:28 PM
Good luck to Sam

Greystache
15-10-2018, 04:28 PM
High school reunion for Sam and Easton

https://heraldsunnewscorpau.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/capture2.jpg

jeemak
15-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Can we have one thread?

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 04:38 PM
Can we have one thread?

All done :)

jeemak
15-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Thanks G.

I'm quite happy here. He's not a fully fit Dickson and won't ever be, however, at a minimum he provides depth as a player who can hit the scoreboard and help in the middle.

All things being equal with him, if he's not getting a game with us we're likely to be traveling fairly well.

dukedog
15-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Solid pick up. Guy can kick. Bevo doesn't mess around. If he's in form he will play. New club fresh start. He will play round one.

Ozza
15-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Can potentially play in all three areas (which our club is obsessed with!! but a handy trait in a player who probably sits somewhere in the 20-28th player on the list).

I'm not fully conversant in draft points lingo - but gut feel is pick 64 is a reasonable outcome.

Welcome about Sam. Bring your straight kicking talents to the inner west.

ratsmac
15-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Welcome Lordo!

I like this trade. He brings some experience to an inexperienced part of the ground for us. He is a forward that can have a run in the midfield. He's a smart player that isn't lazy. I have seen him run the length of the ground from defence to be a target up forward in a few Tigers games I went to this year with a mate. He was always the unlucky player to miss when there were tough selection decisions. Even if he ends up being a fringe player for us eventually, he will still add to our depth and pressure for a best 22 spot. He didn't cost much and was keen to come to us. Win win.

Eastdog
15-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam!

I'm fairly satisfied with this trade.

Twodogs
15-10-2018, 09:31 PM
Does the fact weve put this trade through mean we have finalised our trading this year? Usually you don't finalise trades like this until after you've determined that you've done and not going to need that pick 68 for anything else.

Have we put the cue away?

GVGjr
15-10-2018, 09:58 PM
Does the fact weve put this trade through mean we have finalised our trading this year? Usually you don't finalise trades like this until after you've determined that you've done and not going to need that pick 68 for anything else.

Have we put the cue away?

I'd say we have at least one more to do perhaps two more

FrediKanoute
15-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Happy with this. Echo the thoughts if he is not playing it means that we are travelling well

Axe Man
29-10-2018, 11:46 AM
According to Champion Data:

It was only seven matches at AFL level last season, but on average Sam Lloyd was the No.1 rated wingman in the competition and could work alongside Lachie Hunter nicely.

Perhaps he will spend more time on the wing than forward?

Champion Data analyses every club’s trade acquisitions and where they fit ahead of the 2019 season (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/champion-data-analyses-every-clubs-trade-acquisitions-and-where-they-fit-ahead-of-the-2019-season/news-story/fb09c5ae061fb778e9a26b6709200469)

GVGjr
29-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Champion Data analyses every club’s trade acquisitions and where they fit ahead of the 2019 season (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/champion-data-analyses-every-clubs-trade-acquisitions-and-where-they-fit-ahead-of-the-2019-season/news-story/fb09c5ae061fb778e9a26b6709200469)

It might be a chance. I wonder if it's linked to how fit Dickson is? Can we play Gowers, Dickson and Lloyd in the forward line together?

Happy Days
29-10-2018, 01:24 PM

Kind of sums up the problem with Champion Data right there.

Twodogs
29-10-2018, 01:28 PM
It's paywalled can someone post what they said about Duryea please and thank you? I'm not that stressed about the other clubs.

GVGjr
29-10-2018, 01:36 PM
It's paywalled can someone post what they said about Duryea please and thank you? I'm not that stressed about the other clubs.

Nothing about Duryea

WESTERN BULLDOGS

It was only seven matches at AFL level last season, but on average Sam Lloyd was the No.1 rated wingman in the competition and could work alongside Lachie Hunter nicely.

Twodogs
29-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Nothing about Duryea

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Cheers mate. So they haven't analysed "every club's trade acquisitions" at all. I know bugger all about Duryea and I wouldn't mind reading a bit about him and his strengths and weaknesses. But it seems whoever wrote the article doesn't know much about Duryea either. It's not a bad effort to only get halfway through the heading before they make their first error!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/champion-data-analyses-every-clubs-trade-acquisitions-and-where-they-fit-ahead-of-the-2019-season/news-story/fb09c5ae061fb778e9a26b6709200469

Doc26
29-10-2018, 03:00 PM
It might be a chance. I wonder if it's linked to how fit Dickson is? Can we play Gowers, Dickson and Lloyd in the forward line together?

I can see Lloyd playing a fair bit of time through the mid-field. In the last ~18 months he’s changed his shape and fitness level significantly and plays more of a mid-field role for the Richmond VFL side. Although a different player to Dahlhaus, I can see him playing a similar role as a mid-fwd.

My best mate is a mad keen Richmond follower and was sorry to see Sam leave and believes that he will be a very good pick up for us. It was only the Tigers having a very strong midfield and small forwards that was limiting him from being more than the 23rd player each week.

hujsh
29-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Kind of sums up the problem with Champion Data right there.

I remember people here saying the same thing when it said Collingwood had the strongest midfield in the comp. A year later (or two?) that call is looking pretty good.

Axe Man
23-01-2019, 12:01 PM
LLOYD REVEALS RICHMOND FRUSTRATIONS (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/01/22/lloyd-reveals-richmond-frustrations/)

New Western Bulldogs forward Sam Lloyd admits a lack of senior opportunities at Richmond was extremely frustrating.

Lloyd played seven games for the Tigers last year, averaging 17 disposals and kicking five goals for the season.

The 28-year-old joined the Bulldogs in the trade period, with the Tigers receiving pick 64 in return, after struggling to force his way in as a first-choice player in the yellow and black.

“To be honest, it was very frustrating at times last year,” Lloyd told SEN Breakfast.

“We had such a good group at the club and such good positivity around the place, it was hard to stay down for too long.

“I found it really tough at times when you were told you were playing really good footy, but they just can’t find a spot for you.

“We had a super side at Richmond last year and it was just one of those things where it was too hard to get in at times or replace a bloke like Trent Cotchin or Dion Prestia and then they came straight back into the side.”

Lloyd feels the biggest difference between the 2016 and 2017 premiers is the age and experience of the playing group.

“The biggest thing I’ve seen is the general age of the group from Richmond to the Bulldogs,” Lloyd said.

“I was probably around the middle of the pack at Richmond, and now well and truly one of the senior guys in terms of age.

“That’s probably the main difference I’ve seen.

“We’re a club that could really surprise people, there’s a lot of young talent, but there’s also a lot of premiership players around from 2016.”

Mofra
23-01-2019, 05:36 PM
“We’re a club that could really surprise people, there’s a lot of young talent, but there’s also a lot of premiership players around from 2016.”
He's saying the right things at least.

Remi Moses
27-01-2019, 10:41 AM
Richmond fans proving what numpties they are on social media .
Bagging the bloke for saying he was frustrated for not gettting much of a chance

Twodogs
27-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Richmond fans proving what numpties they are on social media .
Bagging the bloke for saying he was frustrated for not gettting much of a chance

They are scum, just like their football club. I am so looking forward to the natural order of things returning so we can get in with laughing and pointing at Richmond. That time is coming, it's not far off.

Hopefully halfway through this season when Lloyd is burning it up and Richmind are near the bottom they start to say "why on earth did we give him away?"

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 11:30 AM
7 Games

10 Goals
8 Behinds
6 Goal Assists

Contributing over 2 goals game at the dogs. His running is still a little unrewarded. Picked up for a pick we weren't going to use. Good work by Power, and good on him for contributing despite a poor month for the team.

GVGjr
05-05-2019, 11:41 AM
7 Games

10 Goals
8 Behinds
6 Goal Assists

Contributing over 2 goals game at the dogs. His running is still a little unrewarded. Picked up for a pick we weren't going to use. Good work by Power, and good on him for contributing despite a poor month for the team.

For a noted goal kicker and one that is supposed to be accurate he just undid some of his good work with poor kicking but hopefully that was just nerves against his old club

Go_Dogs
05-05-2019, 12:41 PM
For a noted goal kicker and one that is supposed to be accurate he just undid some of his good work with poor kicking but hopefully that was just nerves against his old club

I was worried when he snapped around his body and hit the post. Go back and kick that one Sam!

He's been solid and I think he's going to be tough to dislodge now.

KT31
05-05-2019, 02:51 PM

He had a 10 minute poor patch that really dropped his stocks, I will put it down to nerves because other than last night he has been a good pick up for us.

Mofra
05-05-2019, 02:55 PM
Playing the dead zone at half forward and providing a genuine option.

I like Sam but I'm thinking it will be hard to continue to play Lloyd and Dickson in the same side. He's a genuine goal kicker which we lack.

bornadog
05-05-2019, 02:56 PM
I was worried when he snapped around his body and hit the post. Go back and kick that one Sam!

Why in the world players like to kick around the body. That was really disappointing, but overall I think he was a little nervous against his old team

EasternWest
05-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Why in the world players like to kick around the body. That was really disappointing, but overall I think he was a little nervous against his old team

I get it if kicking isn't your strong point, but Sam is a good kick.

For once that screaming lady was right: "kick it properly".

Bulldog Joe
05-05-2019, 07:41 PM

When I watched that, I thought he had blown the game. The kick in was rebounded for a direct shot by Martin. Fortunately Martin missed, but it had the potential to be a game changer the wrong way.

It was irresponsible and a supposedly good goal kicker should merely have gone back and taken his time to slot the goal.

At that moment he was in my drop next week list.

Twodogs
05-05-2019, 07:51 PM

Technique. There is a theory that you expose more of the goalmouth if you turn your face away from the goal and kick it across your body. Especially if you are on the 'wrong' side for the foot you are kicking with. I get why they do it and sometimes it is the right thing to do. But a lot of players who don't understand the technique properly go with it every time they have a shot and just muck it up.

A lot of the time it's simpler to not turn and just straighten up and kick through the ball properly.

bornadog
05-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Technique. There is a theory that you expose more of the goalmouth if you turn your face away from the goal and kick it across your body. Especially if you are on the 'wrong' side for the foot you are kicking with. I get why they do it and sometimes it is the right thing to do. But a lot of players who don't understand the technique properly go with it every time they have a shot and just muck it up.

A lot of the time it's simpler to not turn and just straighten up and kick through the ball properly.

I can understand if you are on a very acute angle, but Sam was dead in front

AshMac
06-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Say what you want about tigers fans - I’ve sat near some horrendous ones over the years - I did notice they didn’t boo Lloyd.

The irony for his situation is he would almost certainly be playing games for ten this year.

Twodogs
06-05-2019, 08:00 PM
I can understand if you are on a very acute angle, but Sam was dead in front

Yep, players are using it as their normal kick to shoot at goal now. I can only think that they don't actually fully understand what circumstances they should use the kick around the body under. It's a really difficult maneuver to pull off and hit your foot with the footy in the right time and space to get it to bend properly. A lot of times the player would be better off straightening up, facing the goalmouth and kicking through the ball properly.

Bloody South Australians started it with their reverse screw kicks.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 10:03 PM
Bloody South Australians started it with their reverse screw kicks.

Check side:D

Twodogs
13-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Check side:D

That's the one. Blight was the first one I can remember kicking it across his body from the opposite pocket regularly.

ledge
13-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Played a really good game Saturday, was up and about and all over the place , laid a great tackle, only downside I saw was his pace in chasing at one stage.

1eyedog
13-05-2019, 08:32 PM
Played a really good game Saturday, was up and about and all over the place , laid a great tackle, only downside I saw was his pace in chasing at one stage.

Agreed but he's smart enough to cover his lack of pace ala Gia

bulldogtragic
06-07-2019, 11:23 PM
15 Games

25 Goals (1.7 per game, club leading)
18 Behinds
8 Goal Assists

Ranked 15th for total goals kicked in the entire comp
Ranked 13th for total marks inside 50 in the entire comp

Traded for pick 64

bornadog
06-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Has been a great addition

whythelongface
06-07-2019, 11:26 PM
15 Games

25 Goals (1.7 per game)
18 Behinds
8 Goal Assists

Great stats. He has been fantastic for us. The vision and kick to Naughton was terrific, followed by the goal from 45m out.

westdog54
06-07-2019, 11:51 PM
That last kick for goal was a thing of beauty.

Another big win for Sam Power.

Vred
06-07-2019, 11:52 PM
15 Games

25 Goals (1.7 per game, club leading)
18 Behinds
8 Goal Assists

Traded for pick 64

With Dickson a chance to retire at the end of this season - Lloyd needs to be held onto for the rest of his career, complete gun and much needed by our side up forward.

Ghost Dog
07-07-2019, 12:18 AM
Always looks dangerous and a chance to do something. Can outmark taller opponents in a Gia-like manner. Kicks straight ( mostly ). Valued.

Eastdog
07-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Has been a great addition

Ditto

macca
07-07-2019, 02:54 AM
Ditto
His been a valuable money ball pick up . Could not get a game at tigers due to their depth in small forwards .
Can you believe he was behind : castgana , Butler , ross , Higgins off TOP of my head
?

Axe Man
08-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Sam Lloyd is one of the best bargain buys of the year (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-07/nine-things-we-learned-from-round-16)

There was little fanfare when Richmond traded forward Sam Lloyd to the Western Bulldogs last year for pick 64. Lloyd had played 15 games over the previous two seasons, but been overtaken in the Tigers' forward half. The Dogs saw an opportunity to land an opportunist. Pound-for-pound, Lloyd has been one of the better value pick-ups of the season. He was excellent again on Saturday night for the Bulldogs, when he booted three important goals in their come-from-behind win over Geelong at Marvel Stadium. It took Lloyd's season tally to 25 majors, and he's leading the club's goalkicking board. The 29-year-old is in target of eclipsing his career-high goal tally, when he kicked 35 majors in 2016, and has helped provide some polish to the Dogs' front half. - Callum Twomey

Ozza
08-07-2019, 03:41 PM
Mate of mine who is a Richmond supporter said to me when we got him, how he can be a bit of a last quarter specialist - which is certainly ringing true.
His capacity to run out games and kick a goal or two late has been handy and impressive.
Great pick up - for a pick we wouldn't have used anyway.

1eyedog
08-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Doing what Dickson was 3 years ago.

AshMac
09-07-2019, 09:56 AM
His been a valuable money ball pick up . Could not get a game at tigers due to their depth in small forwards .
Can you believe he was behind : castgana , Butler , ross , Higgins off TOP of my head
?

We were so lucky actually - he’d be in thier best 22 this year for sure.

I wonder if he ever learnt to handball 😁

Not that I mind 87% of the time - he clearly has goal instinct and wants to have a crack every time. Need players that have a shot every chance in a team that handballs in there so much.

Topdog
09-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Been very good in the last month.

Twodogs
09-07-2019, 12:05 PM
We were so lucky actually - he’d be in thier best 22 this year for sure.

I wonder if he ever learnt to handball ��

Not that I mind 87% of the time - he clearly has goal instinct and wants to have a crack every time. Need players that have a shot every chance in a team that handballs in there so much.

He obviousl;y learned from Kevin Bartlett at Richmond. Sam accepts handballs, he doesn't give them.

azabob
09-07-2019, 01:02 PM
He obviousl;y learned from Kevin Bartlett at Richmond. Sam accepts handballs, he doesn't give them.

Why would he? Have you seen our kicking for goal...

Twodogs
09-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Why would he? Have you seen our kicking for goal...

Yup. Sure have...

Testekill
09-07-2019, 01:50 PM
I'm just gonna say that I was all in favour of us picking up Lloyd especially for how little we actually paid for him. Wasn't so much for Duryea but Doc has been very handy when he's played so happy to be wrong about him.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 06:02 PM
A bit of a quirk in Lloyd's stats, this is the now 15th time he's kicked 3 goals in an AFEL game. Having never kicked four. Surely it's just a matter of time before he gets to four or more.

bornadog
28-07-2019, 06:12 PM
A bit of a quirk in Lloyd's stats, this is the now 15th time he's kicked 3 goals in an AFEL game. Having never kicked four. Surely it's just a matter of time before he gets to four or more.

32 goals to date.

The Underdog
28-07-2019, 08:47 PM
32 goals to date.

On target for 40. We’d surely have taken that at the start of the season.

Happy Days
28-07-2019, 09:06 PM

I'd have taken 25 happily. He's massively exceeded expectations.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 09:19 PM

I'd have taken 25 happily. He's massively exceeded expectations.

Yep. 12th on the competition goal tally, effectively as a DFA, is way over expectations. 32 & 10 Goal Assists (22 behinds), for a total of 42 goals from his involvement in 18 games is outstanding. He's ahead of Papley & Tippa this year, and they're going to demand a lot more than a nothing pick we weren't going to use.

azabob
28-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Yep. 12th on the competition goal tally, effectively as a DFA, is way over expectations. 32 & 10 Goal Assists (22 behinds), for a total of 42 goals from his involvement in 18 games is outstanding. He's ahead of Papley & Tippa this year, and they're going to demand a lot more than a nothing pick we weren't going to use.

Yet, you want give him a ‘equal career best’ goal post ;)

His highest tally for a season is 36, which he should beat this year.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 09:25 PM
Yet, you want give him a ‘equal career best’ goal post ;)

His highest tally for a season is 36, which he should beat this year.

Tough love! 15 times he's kicked 3. Needs to pull his finger out and get the 4th goal monkey off his back. With my tough love, he'll do that before the season is finished. :D

SonofScray
28-07-2019, 09:48 PM
That long goal today was glorious. I felt the contact of his boot on the ball vibrate through my seat, up my butt. Keep doing that and we could see a boost in crowds!

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 09:57 PM
That long goal today was glorious. I felt the contact of his boot on the ball vibrate through my seat, up my butt. Keep doing that and we could see a boost in crowds!

I don't have precise stats to back this up, but he's virtually dead eye from around 50m out. Dickson-esq like. Happy we've found a replacement for Dicko before he retires in a month (or so).

Hotdog60
28-07-2019, 10:28 PM
I don't have precise stats to back this up, but he's virtually dead eye from around 50m out. Dickson-esq like. Happy we've found a replacement for Dicko before he retires in a month (or so).

Do you think Dicko will go. Played a good game today. Hasn't been that bad over the last month or so.
He just needs a good run at body wise.

Twodogs
28-07-2019, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dickson finish his career down back in defense. He's spent some time cleaning up down there in the last couple of weeks and looked comfortable doing it. He's not exactly Usain Bolt but his footy smarts get him to the drop of the ball more often than not and he is pretty calm and collected with the ball in his hands.

jeemak
28-07-2019, 10:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how our recruiting pans out, if all goes well it could mean Dickson provides cover for an injured Lloyd next year or plays on merit. If we improve and think a run into the finals is a chance the depth and experience will be important.

I’m so happy for Lloyd, it’s great seeing natural footballers get a chance to show just how good they can be.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 10:59 PM
In the last nearly three years he’s played 8 (11g), 9 (8g) & 14 (19g) games. Just 31 games of 62 possible games, 38 goals (1.25 down from career 1.6). Soon to be 32 yo. Noticeably slower, and not as clean. I think Father Time has caught up with him factoring in another preseason and a body showing fatigue. It happens to all the good ones eventually.

jeemak
28-07-2019, 11:03 PM
I thought Dickson looked great today and worked unbelievably hard up and down the ground, but wasn’t there so I might be missing some aspects.

You might be right, but in my view having him fit and on the list next year might not be the worst insurance policy.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2019, 11:23 PM
I thought Dickson looked great today and worked unbelievably hard up and down the ground, but wasn’t there so I might be missing some aspects.

You might be right, but in my view having him fit and on the list next year might not be the worst insurance policy.

He’s played some good footy at times this year, I don’t deny him that. But playing only 50% of games over nearly three years as a nearly 32 year old must be a concern. As is his slowing down a bit and cleanness, as well as output. Signs to me don’t easily persuade me that another year is the best option. I don’t say it with any satisfaction at all, it’s just how I see it.

bornadog
28-07-2019, 11:57 PM

Funny you should say that, some people I was with at the game today said exactly the same thing.

Bulldog4life
29-07-2019, 10:43 AM

That sent shivers through me.

jeemak
29-07-2019, 02:01 PM
That sent shivers through me.

The kick or SoS's comment?

Bulldog4life
29-07-2019, 02:02 PM
The kick or SoS's comment?

This. ;)

Bulldog Joe
30-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Sam Lloyd has been fantastic, but any idea to retire Dickson is unwarranted.

2017/8 he struggled with injury, but he has got his body right and he is moving well. I know he missed a goal on Sunday, but he has kicked a couple of gems from 50 this past month. That distance was beyond him last year with his hamstring issues.

He is moving very well and his form is currently very good.

Remi Moses
30-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Lloyd’s been excellent
Dickson’s got his body right
I still think he’s lost a bit of distance in his kicking
I think Durreya’s been decent as well

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 12:13 AM
Sam had a contract for the year. As we’ve struggled with small forward, and heading into a Grand Final with only one genuine small forward. I wonder what he’s thinking about now. Must have been a hard decision to walk away. A bit harder now I suspect when his replacement Anthony Scott Played a quarter and kicked a goal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2021, 12:19 AM
Sam had a contract for the year. As we’ve struggled with small forward, and heading into a Grand Final with only one genuine small forward. I wonder what he’s thinking about now. Must have been a hard decision to walk away. A bit harder now I suspect when his replacement Anthony Scott Played a quarter and kicked a goal.

Could Sam perform the role we needed this year? Between the cotributions of McNeil and Scott, reckon they've both added dimensions that Sam was not able to provide.

westdog54
12-09-2021, 12:22 AM

He must have really been struggling to walk away in the way he did.

I would like to think he's happy that his retirement gave Scott his chance. The parallels there make for a great football story.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 12:23 AM
Could Sam perform the role we needed this year? Between the cotributions of McNeil and Scott, reckon they've both added dimensions that Sam was not able to provide.

Who knows? Neither will he. It’s like selling you Apple & Amazon stock at $15 while everyone else still held it.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2021, 12:25 AM
He must have really been struggling to walk away in the way he did.

I would like to think he's happy that his retirement gave Scott his chance. The parallels there make for a great football story.

Business opportunity from memory. I don’t know if he didn’t think he’d get games, or whether we weren’t a GF threat.

As you say, Scott contributing and gosling in an historic PF is a great story.