PDA

View Full Version : Tigers to unveil McMahon

GVGjr
06-02-2008, 06:35 AM
How do you think McMahon will go this season?

Tigers to unveil McMahon (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,23166845%255E19742,00.html)

STAR Richmond signing Jordan McMahon is set to be unleashed in Friday's week's NAB Cup clash against St Kilda at Telstra Dome after a flawless pre-season.

McMahon joined Richmond last year from the Western Bulldogs, with the Tigers desperate to add some polish and dash to the backline.

McMahon, 24, said yesterday he felt mentally and physically refreshed.

Richmond looks set to take a side close to full strength into the St Kilda clash, with Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown, Troy Simmonds and Kane Johnson all expected to play.

McMahon said with Richmond's new-found depth in the backline, he would have to force his way into the side.

McMahon and Mitch Morton - a highly rated trade from West Coast - were both exceptional in the club's intra-club match on Friday.

"I am very happy with the pre-season," McMahon said yesterday at the club's Community Camp in Echuca.

"I genuinely do feel a lot fitter than I have ever been. Maybe it's just a state of mind, but it's how I feel at the moment.

"It's a change of club and a change of environment. It's that excitement of the group. They are a really enthusiastic young bunch and it makes it really great for me to train, and that's why I have enjoyed it as much as I have."

While Richmond's backline has been a work in progress, McMahon and Morton will join Joel Bowden, Jake King, Chris Newman and Graham Polak as rebounding defenders trying to slot into the back six.

"To be honest, position-wise, nothing has been set in stone," said McMahon, who was swapped for Richmond's No. 19 draft pick.

"There are about 40 of us trying to fight for that position in the backline. There is a big group in contention, and the midfield is strong too."

The only negative is the travel. McMahon lives in Ascot Vale and his travel to training has grown from a few minutes to more than half an hour.

He has had to patch up some relationships, too.

"(Matthew Richardson) has always been on the opposition and I had a few words to say to him in the past," he said.

"He's a really good fella. I get along well with him and hopefully I can spend a few years kicking it down there, with him on the other end."

In a short indoor training session yesterday, Richard Tambling showed he had fully recovered from an ankle injury sustained on Friday that saw him carried off the ground.

The Tigers will play an intra-club match tomorrow.

Richmond is in an excellent position on the injury front, with only No. 2draft pick Trent Cotchin out long-term.

The midfielder is still recovering from a broken ankle suffered in the TAC Cup finals.

Mantis
06-02-2008, 11:34 AM
How do you think McMahon will go this season?

Who cares... No really who cares.

I think he will be a very servciable player as he will add a bit of pace to there backline. There must still be questions marks on his disposal and possibly his attitude, but he seems to be enjoying his time at the home of the ferals.

"There are about 40 of us trying to fight for that position in the backline. There is a big group in contention, and the midfield is strong too."

Is Wallace bringing out the ultra flood again this year?

Go_Dogs
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
I think McMahon will do pretty well, if he is fitter than he has been in the past, he could really have a great year.

I don't wish him any real misfortune, as I'm now fairly content with our decision and hopefully Jordie goes alright.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2008, 01:27 PM
He'll be a good serviceable player, but I doubt anything more. Playing him in the back half would be a mistake IMO. He's not effective under pressure, brushed aside very easily & often led to the ball or out-marked if he plays deep (See: Matthew Lappin's game on him of '07).

If they use him right (wing or middle) he'll be good value, but it doesn't sound that's the way they plan to use him.

The key for opposition players must be to drag him deep, if they've done their homework.

The Doctor
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I would put good money on McMahon winning their B n F.

Wallace will almost make sure he gets plenty of the ball by making him the go to loose player in the back pocket like he did with Pat Bowden. But McMahon is a far superior footballer and with his pace and dash he will get noticed a lot more. Then Wallace will rave about what a great recruit he is and gloat about it endlessly despit the Tigers finishing in the bottom half of the ladder again.

Bulldog Revolution
06-02-2008, 02:58 PM
It would not surprise me to see McMahon have a career year

The impetus that comes with changing clubs should see him very keen to prove to the members that he was worth a 1Mil 3 year deal

And Terry has a fair bit invested also in McMahon succeeding so he'll be given every single opportunity

But eventually he will revert back to being who he is, unless of course he actually grows up

LostDoggy
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Good luck to him

Rocket Science
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Compelled to echo the previous thoughts of others here...

You'd expect McMahon to rack up a stack of P's mopping up off half back and given largely free reign...It'll 'look' good for the most part, and probably feel good for the Punt Road faithful for a while too, but ultimately have little serious impact on final siren results and as a consequence their season fortunes as a whole...which suits me just fine :D

Impact-wise: Something akin to Pat Bowden's whirlwind first season under Wallet...though one suspects McMahon should be able to retain his spot on that list longer than two years.

May the yellow and black car crash continue to skid hopelessly into footy oblivion :D

Dogs 24/7
06-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I would put good money on McMahon winning their B n F.

Wallace will almost make sure he gets plenty of the ball by making him the go to loose player in the back pocket like he did with Pat Bowden. But McMahon is a far superior footballer and with his pace and dash he will get noticed a lot more. Then Wallace will rave about what a great recruit he is and gloat about it endlessly despit the Tigers finishing in the bottom half of the ladder again.

Wallace will be desperate for McMahon to succeed for a couple of reasons
Wallace needs to redeem himself because of the success players like Rodan have had at other clubs which quite frankly he should be embarrassed about
Wallace would like to get one or two back on us.

McMahon will be feed the ball and told to run, carry and kick long which are his strengths and they won't address his lack of defensive presence which should keep him happy.

He wil finish in their top 5

BulldogBelle
06-02-2008, 10:47 PM
I think McMahon will do well at Richmond he will fit in quite nicely there. New club, change of scenery will invigorate him - he will be right up there in the best and fairest.

I don't doubt that for a second.

Sockeye Salmon
07-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Of course everyone wants to play in their backline, that's where the ball will be.

LostDoggy
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Compelled to echo the previous thoughts of others here...

You'd expect McMahon to rack up a stack of P's mopping up off half back and given largely free reign...It'll 'look' good for the most part, and probably feel good for the Punt Road faithful for a while too, but ultimately have little serious impact on final siren results and as a consequence their season fortunes as a whole...which suits me just fine :D

Impact-wise: Something akin to Pat Bowden's whirlwind first season under Wallet...though one suspects McMahon should be able to retain his spot on that list longer than two years.

May the yellow and black car crash continue to skid hopelessly into footy oblivion :D

The Season of Bowden was a heady time for everyone at Punt Road. I imagine they are still pinching themselves.

Mofra
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
He will play the loose man in defence role, possibly the easiest role in football & get a ton of the pill. Considering how poor their midfield group is in foot skills, Richo may find the ball now when he leads instead of it being kicked 10m over his head. It will be in Richmond's favour to isolate McMahon as his kicking when not under pressure is sublime.

What interests me is one draft-watcher who described Cal Ward as a player who was the opposite of a Joel Bowden - instead of waiting for the game to come to him, Cal would attempt to make his own mark on the game. The fact that we effectively swapped McMahon for Ward is a fair indication of Richmond & ourselves heading down divergent paths.

DOG GOD
10-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Most players that change clubs have a good FIRST year. Look at P.Bowden for instance.
Time will tell if Mcmahon becomes a REGULAR in their team.

Hopefully Ward will be a player (superstar) for us for 15 years. :)

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Good luck to McMahon at Richmond - hope he does well against 'other' clubs.

Surely a good coach can use McMahons ex-team mates to exploit his short comings.

McMahon could be very useful to us, when playing against us!

westdog54
11-02-2008, 03:17 AM
This story has been out for 5 days now. Should I be shaking in my boots yet.

I know Richmond like to pump up their new recruits, but haven't they learned that picking up our dregs will get them no-where fast?

Mantis
11-02-2008, 09:17 AM
This story has been out for 5 days now. Should I be shaking in my boots yet.

I know Richmond like to pump up their new recruits, but haven't they learned that picking up our dregs will get them no-where fast?

McMahon isn't as much of a dreg as P. Bowden. Atleast McMahon was a consistent member of our starting 18, can't say the same for Bowden.

breed_of_dog
11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Unlike alot of other supporters, i quite liked McMahon especially in 2005/06. I thought during those years he mopped up alot of the ball, and worked well with gilbee and Hargrave to get the ball out of defence under alot of pressure with quick handballs etc. 2007 was obviosuly a bit different, but that was across the board and not just one player. I would've kept him...

GVGjr
11-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Unlike alot of other supporters, i quite liked McMahon especially in 2005/06. I thought during those years he mopped up alot of the ball, and worked well with gilbee and Hargrave to get the ball out of defence under alot of pressure with quick handballs etc. 2007 was obviosuly a bit different, but that was across the board and not just one player. I would've kept him...

Welcome aboard. McMahon wanted to go to the Tigers and we couldn't have stopped him because they had the had first pick of the pre-season draft. We probably didn't get a great price for him but far better than getting nothing at all.
He is a talented player but may not have the dedication that is required.

The Coon Dog
11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome aboard. McMahon wanted to go to the Tigers and we couldn't have stopped him because they had the had first pick of the pre-season draft. We probably didn't get a great price for him but far better than getting nothing at all.
He is a talented player but may not have the dedication that is required.

I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used. Had he wanted to go to Port Adelaide (who had pick 16) there's no way we would have got anywhere near the trade deal we did with Richmond.

hujsh
11-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used. Had he wanted to go to Port Adelaide (who had pick 16) there's no way we would have got anywhere near the trade deal we did with Richmond.

I agree. If you look at it as Ward for McMahon then it looks pretty good.

The Coon Dog
11-02-2008, 07:11 PM
I agree. If you look at it as Ward for McMahon then it looks pretty good.

It's irrelevant who we selected with pick 19. I just reckon Jordan McMahon was about a latish 20's pick, particularly as he was coming off contract.

Callan Ward was just icing on the cake.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2008, 07:15 PM

With Johnstone/Wood being traded for #14, and Symes, Mattner etc all traded for fairly similar second round selections I could see the argument that we could've wished for more value from the McMahon trade. I won't disagree with you that we used the pick well though, and I'm certainly happy with how it all worked out.

I just believe that on an open market, someone with McMahon's attributes could/should be traded for a little more.

dogman
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I'd say, based on his 2006 season, we should have got more for him. But based on his 2007 season we should be over the moon with what we got. I think he would have been struggling to get a game this season in out backline. Eade had lost confidence in him last hear and dropped him twice, and if it weren't for the injuries of Griffin and Gilbee he would have spent alot more time at Werribee. So for a player that was on the fringe last year when we were struggling, pick 19 is unbelievable.

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 07:35 PM

He was among my favourite players until the whole situation arose, I had a really high opinion of him, he certainly played a part in a few of our victories in 2006- the Adelaide game especially.

However, the way he went about leaving really annoyed me- had he gone to Adelaide or Port I would have totally understood his leaving, and accepted the lower pick that we would have received, however he chose to go to Richmond who can give him 'better support than the 'previous club'', and I'm happy with the better pick that we ended up with.

breed_of_dog
11-02-2008, 08:51 PM
I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...but i agree totally with what you are saying.

GVGjr
11-02-2008, 08:54 PM
I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...but i agree totally with what you are saying.

I don't think they did either (and maybe for good reason) but were in no position to call the shots given it was the Tigers.

Mofra
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
I just felt like we didn't do enough to change his mind maybe...
Given we got pick 19 for him, the club may well have been happy with this.

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I reckon Richmond paid way over the odds & we got an excellent pick which was well used.

The club mainly Rodney was relieved to see him go Jordan just didnt like being told what to do and was always trying to do things his way. Some say he was very much like Nathan Brown in his approach towards the club as he was approaching the end of his bulldog life.

breed_of_dog
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
The club mainly Rodney was relieved to see him go Jordan just didnt like being told what to do and was always trying to do things his way. Some say he was very much like Nathan Brown in his approach towards the club as he was approaching the end of his bulldog life.

Yeah i agree, similar to Nathan Brown. Once a player's attitude falls a bit short (through no fault of their own) Football can become too demanding and a fresh start is then needed.

hujsh
12-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Can anyone imagine Richmond trading Ward for McMahon

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Can anyone imagine Richmond trading Ward for McMahon

Would you?

hujsh
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Would you?

Absolutely not. I'm happy bout that.

*Edit* Actually who knows which Richmond.