PDA

View Full Version : Coaching approval ratings

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 02:53 PM
Just noticed the results of an AFL survey
Bevo ranks at number 9 in the league with an approval rating of 83%

This is done by the supporters of each team. Simpson was at one and there was a tie at number 2 between Buckley and Fagan with Clarko next in line

Richardson was the last ranked coach with an approval rating of just 29%

I would have thought Bevo should of had a higher rating but I guess after to lean years he's slipped back a bit.

hujsh
23-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Some of the antics this year would have worn thin. Wood forward for example.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-10-2018, 03:20 PM
My patience with Bevo was wearing thin in the first half of the year.

There was a clear arrogance/disdain with the media which I didn't like. You need to communicate to your members through the media and we didn't do it well and haven't since 2016.

I also didn't like our gameplan with some ridiculous personnel moves (Wood and JJ forward namely).

We seemed to 'settle' a little late in the year which coincided with better tactics and better form.

chef
23-10-2018, 03:55 PM
Yeah im a bit losing faith/patience. The whole rebuild/remodel straight after winning a flag still baffles me.

Remi Moses
23-10-2018, 04:06 PM
I think I can take a rebuild after waiting 62 years for a flag . Constant injuries, retirements, attitude, and loss of form have significantly contributed . I think Bevo has tried to be to clever by half a few times, but would think he’s pretty respectful of mainstream media.
There are some absolute woeful media operators though

soupman
23-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Haven't been huge on Beveridge since mid 2017 i think. He would still gain my approval in a binary scale but on a 1-10 range I'd put him about 6-7.

comrade
23-10-2018, 06:10 PM
I still believe in the inherent genius of Bevo. His track record everywhere he’s coached is just too good to lose faith yet.

Don’t let me down, big fella.

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm backing Bevo to the hilt. The distracted players have been removed and in 2019 we can accurately gauge how he is going.

He might need a slight reinvent with the way he delivers his messages to the media but he has a clear pathway now to get this team playing some good football

bornadog
23-10-2018, 07:04 PM
I still believe in the inherent genius of Bevo. His track record everywhere he’s coached is just too good to lose faith yet.

Don’t let me down, big fella.

totally agree.

I can see what he wanted to do with Wood and JJ. We just don’t have goal kickers. He tried it, it didn’t work and he changed back. Big deal, at least he isn’t against trying something different to win games.

ratsmac
23-10-2018, 07:21 PM
Bevo cracked the code that many coaches before him couldn't. He can rebuild for 10 years if he wants.

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 07:23 PM
totally agree.

I can see what he wanted to do with Wood and JJ. We just don’t have goal kickers. He tried it, it didn’t work and he changed back. Big deal, at least he isn’t against trying something different to win games.

I don't for one minute think he moved Wood forward to improve our goal kicking performance. He asked the captain to go forward and help the likes of Boyd by providing a marking option and to be a defensive presence. Wood just wasn't able to adapt.

bornadog
23-10-2018, 07:27 PM
I don't for one minute think he moved Wood forward to improve our goal kicking performance. He asked the captain to go forward and help the likes of Boyd by providing a marking option and to be a defensive presence. Wood just wasn't able to adapt.

i should have saidhp our goal kicking.
Wood ended up playing just over half a game against GWS and half a game the following week and experiment was over.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-10-2018, 11:06 AM
I'm backing Bevo to the hilt. The distracted players have been removed and in 2019 we can accurately gauge how he is going.

He might need a slight reinvent with the way he delivers his messages to the media but he has a clear pathway now to get this team playing some good football

This is the crux of it - he needs to re-align himself and the club now.

I wouldn't think he can afford to have a repeat of 2018, otherwise there will be questions that need to be asked.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 11:12 AM
This is the crux of it - he needs to re-align himself and the club now.

I wouldn't think he can afford to have a repeat of 2018, otherwise there will be questions that need to be asked.

It's a highly scrutinized position and his results in 2019 will speak volumes. It can also come down to how the list is developed

He's had the same coaching group with him since he arrived and there hasn't been wholesale changes to the playing list so I think Bevo has shown faith in the coaches and players and if they can't repay him then yes questions need to be asked.

Testekill
24-10-2018, 12:29 PM
I think he's gotta stop being so clever; changing assistant coaches after a flag is one thing but just shuffling them about is something that would never work.

Rocket Science
24-10-2018, 12:41 PM
It's a highly scrutinized position and his results in 2019 will speak volumes. It can also come down to how the list is developed

He's had the same coaching group with him since he arrived and there hasn't been wholesale changes to the playing list so I think Bevo has shown faith in the coaches and players and if they can't repay him then yes questions need to be asked.

Given this, should we underwhelm again in 2019, it'll be interesting to see whether Bevo can escape some ire by calling time on the assistants. The playing list has paid a price of sorts, so something else would have to give.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Given this, should we underwhelm again in 2019, it'll be interesting to see whether Bevo can escape some ire by calling time on the assistants. The playing list has paid a price of sorts, so something else would have to give.

I don't think so, after 2 poor seasons he should have done something if he in anyway feels any one of the coaching group isn't up to it.

lemmon
26-10-2018, 12:07 AM
I'm more skeptical of Bevo than most - if you take out that spectacular month, it's a pretty mediocre record.

He's had two poor years, had a decent portion of the playing group really spin off the rails, had some pretty negative stoushes in the media and has made some odd decisions strategically and at the selection table.

This year is critical. There has to be some improvement in the on-field brand or I think he's in trouble.

bornadog
26-10-2018, 12:39 AM
I'm more skeptical of Bevo than most - if you take out that spectacular month, it's a pretty mediocre record.

He's had two poor years, had a decent portion of the playing group really spin off the rails, had some pretty negative stoushes in the media and has made some odd decisions strategically and at the selection table.

This year is critical. There has to be some improvement in the on-field brand or I think he's in trouble.

Win/loss ratio has dropped but still at 54.55% including a premiership

Eastdog
26-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Win/loss ratio has dropped but still at 54.55% including a premiership

Hopefully he can increase that % next year. Bevo is safe for now but another dissapointing year he might be trouble but hopefully not.

AshMac
26-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Hopefully he can increase that % next year. Bevo is safe for now but another dissapointing year he might be trouble but hopefully not.

Saw an interesting post on FB last week that bevos W/L ratio is almost identical to Ploughs. Can’t help but feel if we finished 7th in 2016 there’d be a very different air around the club perfectly. Of Course - who knows what the last 2 seasons would have been if that were the case.

comrade
26-10-2018, 10:23 AM

I don't think you're wrong but it's easy to rationalise all those 'negatives' and find the silver lining if you look hard enough.

He's had 2 poor years...but he's also had 2 amazing years. Discounting the premiership is like saying about Mark Zuckerberg, yeah but what has he done besides Facebook. Even Clarkson has had some poor years.

A 'decent portion' may be overplaying things a little. Yeah, some rogues emerged over the past 2 seasons but any more than other clubs? We just notice things more because they're ours I believe. I think we've been relatively proactive on this front, getting rid of the biggest slug of them all last year without much handwringing.

His tit for tat with Barrett has been kind of petty I guess but I also hate that worm so much, that Bevo taking shots at him is actually more endearing than the alternative. Again, Clarko has had his share of run ins with journos.

There have been some odd decisions but then again we only see things at surface level. There could easily be more going on behind the scenes that would explain things better. The strategic side of things is one concern I have with Bevo. The lack of turnover within the coaching group could easily be leading to yes-man-ism which if unchecked, will lead to failure.

All that aside, I wish Bevo would call for an overhaul of our medical/physio department. THAT is our single biggest issue in terms of on field performance, IMO. The best coach in history will struggle to win if he can't get his prime movers on the park most of the time.

bornadog
26-10-2018, 06:35 PM
Great post Comrade

Ghost Dog
28-05-2019, 09:58 PM
This video is a pretty interesting insight into an AFL post-game review process.
The first part of the video with discipline and opposition chaining out really easily is relevant to us.
Stew Dew is on a good paddock up there! rocking a massive gut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7XRnccsxI

And there's Jarrod Harbrow sitting in the review. He's done well for himself for a good stretch.

Rocket Science
28-05-2019, 10:09 PM
Pretty timely bump with almost half the season in the can.

Twodogs
29-05-2019, 10:35 AM
good vision to watch. I often wonder what vision players are shown.

Is the footage from the broadcast or is it the AFL feed that the clubs get, I didn't really pay much attention.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2019, 11:02 AM
This video is a pretty interesting insight into an AFL post-game review process.
The first part of the video with discipline and opposition chaining out really easily is relevant to us.
Stew Dew is on a good paddock up there! rocking a massive gut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7XRnccsxI

And there's Jarrod Harbrow sitting in the review. He's done well for himself for a good stretch.

I don't remember another coach with that sort of build. I may be wrong. He is unique to say it kindly.

Twodogs
29-05-2019, 11:11 AM
I don't remember another coach with that sort of build. I may be wrong. He is unique to say it kindly.

Neil Balme was getting to that size.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Neil Balme was getting to that size.

True but I suppose his height helped him there.

Mofra
29-05-2019, 11:18 AM
I'd guess if a player comes back with poor skinfolds he'd get his assistants to deliver the news.
Dew did plump up pretty well after his first retirement.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2019, 11:25 AM
I'd guess if a player comes back with poor skinfolds he'd get his assistants to deliver the news.

Not that there is anything wrong with it.

Ghost Dog
29-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Do you all agree that we have the same issue as highlighted in the first part of the video, with poor discipline allowing teams to chain out of the contest?

bornadog
29-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Do you all agree that we have the same issue as highlighted in the first part of the video, with poor discipline allowing teams to chain out of the contest?

Absolutely, we let the ball out of our forward 50 too easily

Twodogs
29-05-2019, 07:08 PM

Yep, It might be hard to fit both in the same room.