PDA

View Full Version : Rhylee West

GVGjr
26-10-2018, 12:23 PM
Just announced (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-26/dogs-set-to-leash-son-of-a-seventime-club-champion-in-draft)

Rhylee West a step closer to being a Bulldog after the club officially nominated him as a father-son - he says he's "ecstatic".

RHYLEE West is a step closer to joining the Western Bulldogs after the club officially nominated him as a father-son.

AFL.com.au has confirmed the AFL has approved the Dogs' paperwork nominating the son of Scott West as a possible father-son selection at next month's NAB AFL Draft.

The club will now wait to see where a bid comes for West before deciding whether to match it during the draft, with it expected to come somewhere late in the first round or early in the second round.

The Dogs' second pick is No.27, which could slide up several spots if a bid came around pick No.20.

West is a small and powerful midfielder who averaged 22 disposals at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships for Vic Metro.

His father, Scott, won seven best and fairests in an illustrious 324-game career with the Bulldogs.

"It's great to know they want me at the footy club, so it's very exciting," West told AFL.com.au.

"(The nomination) makes me ecstatic, as it gives me a chance to play at the highest level.

"I told them in a meeting recently I wanted to play at the Dogs, and I guess they were in a position to do that. It's very special."

The Dogs look set for a strong draft next month, sitting in a good position with their first pick (No.7 overall) set to land one of the leading talents in the pool.

Midfielders Jye Caldwell and Bailey Smith, plus the versatile Connor Rozee and key-position prospect Ben King could all come under consideration at that selection.

chef
26-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Yay.

Eastdog
26-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Great news!

Twodogs
26-10-2018, 12:39 PM
Yes! Rhylee West COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!

Axe Man
26-10-2018, 12:40 PM
The bottom part of that article is also interesting:

They also have access to Next Generation Academy player Buku Khamis, a sweeping half-back who could attract a bid in the third round of the draft.

There will be a smattering of father-sons nominated by clubs ahead of next week's October 31 deadline, including Bailey Scott at North Melbourne, Will Kelly at Collingwood and Oscar Brownless at Geelong.

However, the Lions are unlikely to nominate Casey Voss (the son of Michael) and James Rendell (son of Matt) for the national draft, and the same for Sydney with its father-son candidate Kyle Dunkley (son of Andrew).

Sydney not interested - do we want another Dunkley?

GVGjr
26-10-2018, 12:42 PM

I mentioned Kyle a couple of months back. I think he is either a last pick of the draft type selection or more likely a rookie list pick

I woudn't mind him as a rookie pick

bulldogtragic
26-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Great news. The club needs to pump these good news stories up hard from now until the rookie draft is over.

EasternWest
26-10-2018, 01:23 PM
I am excited about getting Rhylee into the club.

Mofra
26-10-2018, 03:55 PM
He just does little things that other kids around him don't, like take two hits to release a teammate into space. Seems to be someone who isn't just good but is a good teammate to play with.
Very agile in traffic, no surprise he did so well at the combine for agility.

angelopetraglia
26-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Great news.

What's everyone thoughts on what the bid for him will be? What club? What Pick?

Mofra
26-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Great news.

What's everyone thoughts on what the bid for him will be? What club? What Pick?
Expecting GWS with pick 19, wouldn't be surprised if it was a little earlier. With the 20% discount it's a bargain anyway.

WBFC4FFC
26-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Heard mid-year from a Swans Academy Player that Kyle was considered a better player than Josh and that Syd would take him. Obviously things have changed.

bulldogtragic
26-10-2018, 05:37 PM
When I was following Rhylee's younger school footy results via Google, he and Kyle were often playing together. In the bests together often enough too. With that connection and understanding with West and his brother at the club, it would be a nice story if the club thought he was good enough to draft.

AshMac
26-10-2018, 05:58 PM
Great news. Looks like the mould of his old man with better leg speed.

bornadog
26-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Can't wait to see him play.

Yes for Dunkley as a late pick.

Smads57
26-10-2018, 09:22 PM
Was about to ask the question when F/S and Academy pre-selections needed to be made and this thread comes along in a timely manner...great news. Can still remember his dad kicking 6 goals against Essendon at WO and running around in number 14. Suspect Rhylee might try for that jumper if he gets the chance.

jeemak
26-10-2018, 10:02 PM
I just had a look at the vision within the link again. He looks awesome, the play at about 55 seconds from the back pocket where he holds the footy under high pressure shrugging a couple of tackles, and then quickly changing direction to hit a target moving away from him is excellent.

I know it's a highlights package, but the kid can seriously play. Seriously. He seems to have plenty of hurt factor in congestion too - just possibly not the sexy type more evident in open play.

We are getting a bargain.

Remi Moses
26-10-2018, 10:29 PM
An absolute steal for us .

Go_Dogs
27-10-2018, 07:21 AM
Great news.

On Dunkley, every year we've drafted a Dunkley, we've won a flag. By this logic, we should absolutely draft him.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Give Rhylee #6 so he can brag to his dad that despite his million B&Fs, that he's already got a higher jumper number than him.

Twodogs
27-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Give Rhylee #6 so he can brag to his dad that despite his million B&Fs, that he's already got a higher jumper number than him.

That would suggest he should start off with #13

azabob
27-10-2018, 11:22 AM
That would suggest he should start off with #13

Does it? I think it suggests he should start off with 6 as Scott West ended his career in #7 not #14.

Topdog
27-10-2018, 12:37 PM
Looks good in traffic but i do worry how those looping kicks will translate to AFL

Testekill
27-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Great news. Looks like the mould of his old man with better leg speed.

Spitting image also; I saw a picture of him the other day and he looks exactly like him in the face.

Twodogs
27-10-2018, 02:10 PM
Does it? I think it suggests he should start off with 6 as Scott West ended his career in #7 not #14.

Yeah but I'm really bad at counting. You didn't think of that, did you? Bwahahahaha!

Ghost Dog
27-10-2018, 03:54 PM
Expecting GWS with pick 19, wouldn't be surprised if it was a little earlier. With the 20% discount it's a bargain anyway.

Can someone remind me how these Father and Son picks work? Happy to hear we are getting a bargain, and a player who loves us!

Eastdog
27-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Can someone remind me how these Father and Son picks work? Happy to hear we are getting a bargain, and a player who loves us!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father–son_rule

Rocket Science
27-10-2018, 04:12 PM
The inevitable comparisons with his old man hold true but I reckon there's a bit of Sam Mitchell about his game and distribution style as well, perhaps with a shade less silk at this early point.

His guile, patience and vision in close augurs very very well for our more outside blokes.

azabob
27-10-2018, 04:57 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father–son_rule

Oh Eastie! You need to stop trusting wikipedia as a go to source for knowledge, especially when the page references Ayce Cordy as an example of how the system works!

Eastdog
27-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Oh Eastie! You need to stop trusting wikipedia as a go to source for knowledge, especially when the page references Ayce Cordy as an example of how the system works!

Wiki more accurate nowadays but still has some discrepancies.

bulldogtragic
27-10-2018, 05:42 PM

Wiki more accurate nowadays but still has some discrepancies.

Eastie, check out what Stephen Colbert and his viewers did with Wiki years ago... It's on Wikipedia I'm sure.

On second thought, I'm off to purchase a fall out bunker, lots of cans of beans and shot guns now Wiki has taken control. Thanks woofers, I love youse all, but the time has come to live underground.

mjp
27-10-2018, 08:18 PM
Heard mid-year from a Swans Academy Player that Kyle was considered a better player than Josh and that Syd would take him. Obviously things have changed.

Josh was captain of the AFL Academy team...not sure Kyle was showing as much as that...

Still mystified why the Swans wanted Mills > Dunkley. Didn't make sense then. Makes less sense now.

bornadog
27-10-2018, 10:12 PM
Josh was captain of the AFL Academy team...not sure Kyle was showing as much as that...

Still mystified why the Swans wanted Mills > Dunkley. Didn't make sense then. Makes less sense now.

but but Mills was a rising star ����. ( over Caleb mind you )

mjp
27-10-2018, 10:20 PM
but but Mills was a rising star ����. ( over Caleb mind you )

Mills is fine I guess. I am just letting my prejudice show through as I have never been a fan.

jeemak
27-10-2018, 10:59 PM
Mills is fine I guess. I am just letting my prejudice show through as I have never been a fan.

He’s a neat player, is Mills. Prone to a costly and ill considered moment too often but he may grow out of that.

FrediKanoute
27-10-2018, 11:29 PM
Does Kyle play like Josh

bornadog
28-10-2018, 02:55 PM

I thought Caleb should have won the rising star as he was consistent for the whole year and played most games.

Mills only played about 6 games and journos were fawning over him. I don;t think he has gone on with it and I also prefer Dunkley.

Ghost Dog
29-10-2018, 01:33 AM
I thought Caleb should have won the rising star as he was consistent for the whole year and played most games.

Mills only played about 6 games and journos were fawning over him. I don;t think he has gone on with it and I also prefer Dunkley.

Also thought he was a bit stiff. The NAB is always a bit of a popularity contest. Having nice hair seems to help. IIRC was it McCrae who did really well in his first year and seemed to take forever to get a nomination.

Ozza
29-10-2018, 12:52 PM

Do you mean that he only played 6 GOOD games? Because Mills did play 22 games in 2016, whereas Daniel was coming off having played the max. 10 the previous year to still be eligible.

AshMac
05-11-2018, 04:47 PM
Dogs prospect believes he can cover Dahlhaus role

IF Rhylee West gets to the Western Bulldogs as expected, the father-son prospect believes he can fill the pressure forward role left vacant by Luke Dahlhaus' departure to Geelong.

As revealed by AFL.com.au, the son of seven-time best and fairest and five-time All Australian Scott West has been nominated by Bulldogs, and they will match a rival club's bid expected somewhere late in the first round of November's NAB AFL Draft.

After trading away this year's second-round selection for Josh Schache in the 2017 Trade Period, coincidentally it's the pick the Dogs received as compensation for losing free agent Dahlhaus - currently pick No.28 overall - that West is likely to cost on draft night.

A standout inside midfielder with the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro this season, West told AFL.com.au he feels ready to test himself at the highest level.

"Most draftees don't play in their preferred position straight away, so definitely playing as that pressure forward is a role I could definitely play early days," West said.

"I like to think I'm ready to play senior footy because I've got a bit of size on me and I can put that up against the bigger bodies.

"The pre-season will also help my endurance and put a bit more meat on me, so I should be raring to go.

"The great midfielders like (Patrick) Dangerfield and (Dustin) Martin both push forward because you can't play one position these days."

While he has the physical attributes to help make the transition from junior football to the AFL, West is well aware he needs to improve his kicking if he wants to play regular senior football at a club that doesn't have an overabundance of players who are a reliable kick.

The 17-year-old finished the TAC Cup season with a disposal efficiency of just 56 per cent, but in an encouraging sign his effectiveness increased with the lift in standard at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, finishing the carnival as an All Australian that averaged 22 disposals at 69 per cent efficiency.

The apple hasn't fallen too far from the tree, with West inheriting his dad's creative hands and vision, but the pair have been fine-tuning his ability to hit the target by foot.

While his kicking is a work in progress, fatherly advice regularly hits the mark.

"Everyone has a knock on them and kicking is the one I've got, but I've been working really hard on it with Dad and at training, so I've given myself every opportunity to improve it," West said.
"Dad's someone I can bounce any questions off because he watches all the levels of footy I play.

"He's been an assistant at AFL level and coached in the VFL, so he's good at critiquing my games and being that coach at home.

"I'm not a kid that gets feedback and cracks the sooks, whether it's a spray at half-time or a quiet word after the game, I'll take it on board.”

bulldogtragic
05-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Just fell a little more in love with him.

comrade
05-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Sounds switched on.

Eastdog
06-11-2018, 11:56 PM
Would be great to get Rhylee.

ratsmac
07-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Dahl's are pretty decent shoes to fill and there will be a few players putting their hands up to fill them, so he's either getting ahead of himself or brimming with confidence that he is the one to fill them. I like the latter and if he's anything like his old man, within a couple years he will have out grown those shoes and we'll be saying Dahlhaus who. Well until we watch the gf replay that is:D

After watching Rhylee's impressive highlight reel I'm quite excited about him. He moves like his dad and also has that vision and quick hands that was his dad's trademark. He looks quicker and very agile. I like that he can kick goals too.

Hopefully we get him for a steal but I get the feeling some club will bid on him knowing we'll match it and use whatever points it takes to get him.

AshMac
07-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Dahl's are pretty decent shoes to fill and there will be a few players putting their hands up to fill them, so he's either getting ahead of himself or brimming with confidence that he is the one to fill them. I like the latter and if he's anything like his old man, within a couple years he will have out grown those shoes and we'll be saying Dahlhaus who. Well until we watch the gf replay that is:D

After watching Rhylee's impressive highlight reel I'm quite excited about him. He moves like his dad and also has that vision and quick hands that was his dad's trademark. He looks quicker and very agile. I like that he can kick goals too.

Hopefully we get him for a steal but I get the feeling some club will bid on him knowing we'll match it and use whatever points it takes to get him.

I wonder if the club has a ceiling on Rhylee - i.e. anything lower than pick 15 and we pass. Don’t think anyone is expecting top 10, so pick 7 safe, but interested in others thoughts on him being a pick 10-15 and us potentially needing to use points from 27 and 32 which might be deemed worse outcome for the club that 2 extra players at those picks.

Guess I’m wondering how much the FS actually means inside a footy club.

Kid looks like he has his head screwed on and the hallmarks of a really good player one day.

hujsh
07-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Do people here feel Wallis be a good rotation partner for him as a mid/fwd? I know it doesn't quite work that way in the modern AFL but mean it more as a loose concept.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-11-2018, 01:12 PM
If I was an AFL club I would steer clear of Rhylee West - his kicking is bad. He is only worth a third round pick.

SquirrelGrip
07-11-2018, 05:11 PM
If I was an AFL club I would steer clear of Rhylee West - his kicking is bad. He is only worth a third round pick.

Yep, he’s rubbish. If I was another club I’d not waste my time either. Rookie pick at best!!

Twodogs
07-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Yep, he’s rubbish. If I was another club I’d not waste my time either. Rookie pick at best!!

Barely worth a rookie pick if you ask me. If any club recruiters are reading this you should take our advice and steer clear of Rhlyee West. I've heard he likes to torture puppies.

ReLoad
08-11-2018, 08:42 AM
As a highly respected AFL journalist, I'm considering running a story about just how poorly skilled Rhylee is (i mean his name is spelt wrong for goodness sake).

As a side note, I really hate it when a fellow journo publishes a story before me.

Mantis
08-11-2018, 10:40 AM

I've seen 10min of Rhylee in action in a game for Vic Metro so it's a very small sample size, but in that time he:

* Turned out of trouble with very good awareness and evasive skills and delivered a 'no-look' handball to a team-mate in space.
* Took an athletic overhead mark
* Missed 2 targets by foot to open targets 20-25m away.

So I agree, his kicking is bad.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-11-2018, 12:39 PM
If he is half as good as his Father than you would want to take him. We are desperate for midfielders that can win their own ball. Libba will make a high difference also if he can get back to anywhere near his best.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Scott West facing goals near 50m line looping a handball up in the air to a vacant space and Cooney at full speed running from behind him onto it and into open space for and easy goal. It was the sort of thing the Krakouer bros would do except better. If that's an inherited characteristic, bring it on!

Axe Man
16-11-2018, 10:46 AM
From Cal Twomey's final Phantom Form Guide (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-16/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-november):

Where does he go? Headed to the Dogs as a father-son pick, most likely in the second round. The Demons have been linked as the club to possibly place a bid with their pick 23, where the Dogs are expected to match.

Testekill
16-11-2018, 06:26 PM
Will love a bid at 23

divvydan
16-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Given the way the phantom drafts are going at the moment, it's looking more and more likely that Blakey, Thomas and Quaynor will all be bid on before West. Likely means we'll end up with picks 29 and 34. Would also mean Melbourne drop down to pick 26, which is the absolute latest I can see a bid coming. Interestingly enough, 34 would be enough to cover a pick 26 bid, so if that specific scenario eventuates, it will be interesting to see if we try and make some sort of deal moving out 29 for something either next year or later this draft. Would all depend on who was left on our list of players and how likely they would be to make it to 34.

AshMac
16-11-2018, 08:40 PM
What happens if we dont need to use all the points from our next pick on West?

Say he gets nominated at pick 23 and we have to use pick 27. With the 20% discount, pick 23 is worth 652 point (815*0.8) and pick 27 is worth 703 points.

Do we bank the remaining 49 points, adding onto pick 32 to equal 633 points (584+49) and moving us up the order to pick 30 which is 629 points?

Or, do you lose surplus points - meaning we use all of pick 27 - and its only when there is a deficit that there is an impact on later picks?

GVGjr
16-11-2018, 08:44 PM
What happens if we dont need to use all the points from our next pick on West?

Say he gets nominated at pick 23 and we have to use pick 27. With the 20% discount, pick 23 is worth 652 point (815*0.8) and pick 27 is worth 703 points.

Do we bank the remaining 49 points, adding onto pick 32 to equal 633 points (584+49) and moving us up the order to pick 30 which is 629 points?

Or, do you lose surplus points - meaning we use all of pick 27 - and its only when there is a deficit that there is an impact on later picks?

In this example I think the points go to the back of the draft and pick 27 is moved forward to pick 23
It will not change pick 32.

divvydan
16-11-2018, 08:57 PM
My personal feeling is that we lose surplus points when only using 1 pick to match a bid but I'm not 100% sure on this. So using 27 only to match a bid will mean we lose any surplus points but having to use 27 and 32 to match a bid will give us a pick back later depending on the number of surplus points.

GVGjr
16-11-2018, 08:59 PM
My personal feeling is that we lose surplus points when only using 1 pick to match a bid but I'm not 100% sure on this. So using 27 only to match a bid will mean we lose any surplus points but having to use 27 and 32 to match a bid will give us a pick back later depending on the number of surplus points.

I think that is correct, thanks

boydogs
17-11-2018, 08:52 PM

This seems to suggest you are right - example 1. Contrast with examples 2 & 3 where multiple picks are used and excess points move the position of the last pick back

https://www.theroar.com.au/2016/11/07/2016-afl-draft-how-academy-and-father-son-bidding-work-and-who-will-get-bid-on/

Twodogs
18-11-2018, 11:40 AM
It's ridiculous tgat people who live from draft to draft like us can't be sure of what the rules are with this amount of time left until the draft.

The AFEL are just making most of it up as they go along.

GVGjr
21-11-2018, 09:51 PM
I think it's been confirmed that Rhylee West did not receive an invite to the first round invitees for Thursday night, I think that means unless things go pear shaped for a club he won't be picked until the 2nd round.

Doc26
21-11-2018, 10:04 PM
I think it's been confirmed that Rhylee West did not receive an invite to the first round invitees for Thursday night, I think that means unless things go pear shaped for a club he won't be picked until the 2nd round.

I find it rather surprising that it is known at this point who the top ~21 selections will be. That is, that Rhylee is already known by HQ not to be one of those.

I wonder if it's guess work or if Clubs are asked to submit their selections for round one in a worst case scenario for them.

Great news for us if it is known that he has slipped beyond the first round. This might mean we can work to move pick 27 into the first round with live trading.

Axe Man
22-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Bit of a nothing article about Rhylee (any chance we can change the ridiculous spelling of his name?). Mentions Cordy but forgets about Mark Hunter who played with West, Wallis and Libba as well. What is interesting is Khamis finishing last in the time trial. I hope we told him to run slowly rather than him just having a really poor tank!

Rhylee West, another son of a famous Bulldog, set to land at Whitten Oval (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rhylee-west-another-son-of-a-famous-bulldog-set-to-land-at-whitten-oval/news-story/99628c8c1ad78c3a80c79647f5068263)

SCOTT West teared up as his son Rhylee ran on to Whitten Oval for Western Bulldogs’ training this year, and now the teenager will complete a midfield throwback to the 1990s.

The Bulldogs will match a father-son bid for West, linking him up with Tom Liberatore and Mitch Wallis 23 years after their famous fathers last played together.

Scott West, Tony Liberatore and Steve Wallis played 53 games together from 1993-96, while Brian Cordy’s son, Zaine, played in the 2016 premiership and is also on the list.

“Everyone tells me how similar we play,” West said.

“It would be pretty special to share the colours that my dad played in and even share that with Wally and Libba.

“Dad told me even when I ran out with them in pre-season training, which was nothing really, he shed a little tear.”

Seven-time best-and-fairest Scott West also played 28 games with Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge in the early 1990s.

The Bulldogs are also likely to match a bid for South Sudanese academy prospect Buku Khamis, who moved to Australia as a refugee in 2006.

Khamis came last in the 2km time-trial at the draft combine and is not expected to attract an early bid.

Hawthorn, West Coast and Melbourne interviewed the 189cm marking target at the draft combine and his Western Jets coach, Torin Baker, has since joined the Hawks.

The Dogs have been linked to Footscray best-and-fairest winner Will Hayes, 23.

The 181cm midfielder is the son of Hall of Fame racehorse trainer David Hayes.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Hopefully the Hawks are the most serious. Their first pick at this stage is 53. Happy to match that.

Testekill
22-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Hopefully the Hawks are the most serious. Their first pick at this stage is 53. Happy to match that.

It'll be Melbourne. They see him as another Viney so will bid with their first pick.

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 10:03 PM
It'll be Melbourne. They see him as another Viney so will bid with their first pick.

And that is fair enough.

We will land West for a fair value

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 10:03 PM

My bad, i was talking about Khamis without letting anyone else know it...

bornadog
22-11-2018, 10:09 PM
So does our next pick cover Rhylee if there is a bid before hand?

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 10:10 PM
So does our next pick cover Rhylee if there is a bid before hand?

Yes.

Pick 23: 815 points - 197 points = 618 points to match

Pick 30: 629 points

We’ve had a good night.

divvydan
22-11-2018, 10:12 PM
Yes, next pick is #23 which is worth 815 points. After the 197pt discount, that leaves 618pts that we need to match. Pick 30 is worth 629 so it'll be enough.

Eastdog
23-11-2018, 01:59 PM
Rhylee West is a Bulldog!

Remi Moses
23-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Wonderful news

Twodogs
23-11-2018, 02:05 PM
Welcome aboard little Scooter!

Bulldog Revolution
23-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Great to get another son of a gun on the list

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsqb_GIVsAA-zD6.jpg

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 06:06 PM
I think Rhylee will live playing with his three younger brothers in the AFEL too. Good times for romantics.

bornadog
23-11-2018, 06:13 PM
I think Rhylee will live playing with his three younger brothers in the AFEL too. Good times for romantics.

West picks up the ball, handballs to West who kicks a long kick to West, a quick handball over the top and West kicks a goal. :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-11-2018, 06:18 PM
West picks up the ball, handballs to West who kicks a long kick to West, a quick handball over the top and West kicks a goal. :D

Gives a new, literal meaning to the team song......

Doc26
23-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Can you imagine if we picked up a Bailey West.

Twodogs
23-11-2018, 08:01 PM

I love it but I dunno about the "long kick" bit. Maybe "West picks up the ball and upsets an opponent with a funny look then handballs to West who upsets an opponent with a rude word who scrubs a long worm burner to West (who upsets an opponent) who gathers with one touch, kicks a goal and upsets an opponent with his goal celebrations that involves all four West brothers!

Testekill
23-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Can you imagine if we picked up a Bailey West.

Not too late for one of them to change their name.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Sons of the West.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Can we Cat A rookie Scott back into the squad, like Mumford/Clarke. He looks in great shape.

bornadog
24-11-2018, 12:19 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsp6tMBVYAAqWg3.jpg

FrediKanoute
24-11-2018, 01:52 AM

The Cordy brother reincarnated!

EasternWest
24-11-2018, 09:36 AM

That's amazing. What a history to have and share.

ratsmac
24-11-2018, 10:18 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dsqb_GIVsAA-zD6.jpg

Where is the "love" button! Like just isn't getting it done for me with this pic.

West was my all time favourite player with Leon Cameron and Chris Grant close seconds until The Bont took my breath away!

I'm thrilled to have West Jnr on board. I hope he has his dad's vision and ability to put the ball where a team mate will be. If he turns out half as good as the old man we have a player. I'm confident he will play many games in the RWB.

Welcome aboard Jnr.

KT31
24-11-2018, 10:53 AM

Hopefully five guns and Streeter.:D

bornadog
24-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Hopefully five guns and Streeter.:D

definantly born a dog :D

bornadog
26-07-2019, 01:17 PM
Good luck Rhylee

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EASZye-UEAA2e36?format=jpg&name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EASZye9UcAAh8MS?format=jpg&name=medium

Topdog
26-07-2019, 01:24 PM
Melts the heart

Twodogs
26-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Melts the heart

Imagine how proud you would be as a dad watching your kid preparing to make their AFL debut.

Eastdog
26-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Good luck Rhylee!

Great shot from the Whitten Stand. When I go to Whitten Oval I love to sit up there.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2019, 11:53 PM
Second in the JJ Liston on 17 votes.

Watched him closely on Saturday at the game. Didn’t take a backwards step. He is going to cement a spot next year and will play a pivotal role in our team for years to come.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2019, 12:01 AM
And only 15 games to grab second spot. We robbed him playing afl footy... what a great result for him.

macca
10-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Well done to the young man , his goiing to be a very important player for us
I am rapt we have such talent and look8ng forward ro warching more of his games

bulldogtragic
10-09-2019, 12:25 AM
So he’s the VFL rising star then?!!

AshMac
10-09-2019, 07:59 AM
You don’t get to see a players full
Impact on TV but the times he went near it he looks composed w the ball and courageous.

Why can’t our old boys have kids a foot taller... except the Cordys, they’re tall enough.

bornadog
10-09-2019, 09:51 AM
This kid is going to be good. He is a tough little bugger, as his body grows, he will be hard to stop.

Well done Rhylee.

LostDoggy
11-09-2019, 01:39 PM
Congratulations Rhylee on the stunning result in the JJ Liston Trophy!

Axe Man
10-05-2021, 05:59 PM
Oh Dear Scott. Perhaps take it up with Bevo directly rather than post on social media?

WESTERN BULLDOGS GREAT SLAMS BEVERIDGE FOR THE “DISGRACEFUL MANAGEMENT” OF HIS SON (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/10/western-bulldogs-great-slams-beveridge-for-the-disgraceful-management-of-his/)

WESTERN Bulldogs great Scott West has slammed coach Luke Beveridge for the “disgraceful management” of his son.

West, who won a club record seven best and fairests across a 324-game career at the Whitten Oval, took aim at Beveridge after son Rhylee was dropped following a five-disposal performance in the Round 7 loss to Richmond.

Rhylee was an unused medical sub for Sunday’s game against Carlton at Marvel Stadium, with West launching at Beveridge in a now-deleted Facebook post published before the match.

“Well done Beveridge,” West opened sarcastically.

“That’s how you manage young players. Yep he is my son but seriously you make him wait for 5 weeks, all of excellent form and stats in the VFL.

“You play him against the best team of the last 5 years and yep, didn’t play well, BUT, then you drop him.

“Absolutely disgraceful management!!!”

The ongoing selection of Jason Johannisen was also questioned by West after the 2016 Norm Smith medallist had five disposals in the loss to the Tigers.

“It’s not personal against JJ, BUT, 3 possessions??? Are you serious????” West wrote.

“Let me add Josh Schache to this argument, poor kid gets kicked in the guts by everyone, apparently it is his and Rhylee’s fault they lost last week.”

In his third year, West has played 10 games since being taken by the Dogs with pick 26 in the 2018 national draft.

EasternWest
10-05-2021, 06:03 PM
Slammed

Happy Days
10-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Did Edmund not check Big Footy for 3 days or something?

azabob
10-05-2021, 07:06 PM

Or woofer for that matter.

Axe Man
10-05-2021, 07:07 PM

Sorry did I miss this somewhere else? I hadn't seen it anywhere previously.

azabob
10-05-2021, 07:12 PM

Yeah, I think it was in the match Commitee thread. G-Mo77 posted it

Axe Man
10-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I think it was in the match Commitee thread. G-Mo77 posted it

Thanks. 27 pages long, any wonder I missed it!

jeemak
10-05-2021, 07:31 PM

Axe Man is Sam Edmund.

Axe Man
10-05-2021, 07:41 PM
Axe Man is Sam Edmund.

And so is my wife.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 08:43 PM
Thanks. 27 pages long, any wonder I missed it!

You are slipping :D

Here you go

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E03aBZ5UUAEwEu6?format=png&name=900x900

Hotdog60
10-05-2021, 08:57 PM
I haven't heard comment like that since I was coaching under 12's :)

Bumper Bulldogs
10-05-2021, 10:00 PM
You are slipping :D

Here you go

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E03aBZ5UUAEwEu6?format=png&name=900x900

This is not going to play out well. We need someone neutral to get these two tether behind close doors and fix this quickly.

Even if a as father West and Bevo go a few rounds in the ring.

bornadog
10-05-2021, 10:39 PM
This is not going to play out well. We need someone neutral to get these two tether behind close doors and fix this quickly.

He deleted it Sunday morning

bulldogtragic
10-05-2021, 10:43 PM

Someone he played nearly 300 games with... A footy department boss... I think we have it covered.

Vred
10-05-2021, 11:53 PM
He deleted it Sunday morning

It's a joint facebook account, who knows who actually posted it, mum or dad...

bornadog
11-05-2021, 12:11 AM
It's a joint facebook account, who knows who actually posted it, mum or dad...

She is not Rhylee's Mum, she is new partner

Vred
11-05-2021, 12:13 AM
She is not Rhylee's Mum, she is new partner

That makes it even more awkward then. I still reckon it wasn't Scott, I'd assume he'd be able to voice his displeasure directly at the club.

Twodogs
11-05-2021, 12:33 AM
You'd think after 300+ games that Scott would know that the coach doesn't pick the team. He gets a say but there's a selection committee overseen by a Chairman of Selectors shots the final say.

ratsmac
11-05-2021, 02:28 AM
That makes it even more awkward then. I still reckon it wasn't Scott, I'd assume he'd be able to voice his displeasure directly at the club.

Maybe it was Rhylee himself logging onto his step mum and dad's joint account. Just airing some grievances

dog town
11-05-2021, 06:08 AM
Embarrassing stuff for all involved. Westy has made a pickle of himself here if it is actually him. It’s bad enough he is actually wrong but he shouldn’t be touching this subject on a public forum.

Between our supporters and families of our players we are doing our best to undermine a very good coach. It needs to stop or we will fall into the same trap other clubs have.

Cyberdoggie
11-05-2021, 04:56 PM
He's not wrong though.

JJ, McNeil, Scott have all had quiet games but seem to get an extended run where West always comes in for one and straight out.
They are asking him to play a very difficult position as a small forward, without giving him any opportunities to get involved by playing further up the ground.

I feel they are trying to turn Wallis and West into small forwards when they are really inside mids. Sure Wallis has had some success up forward but with 3 talls up there he can't get near it, he's not a crumbing forward.

West should really be given some time in the middle as well as up forward.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-05-2021, 05:29 PM
Shades of David Cloke

dog town
11-05-2021, 06:16 PM
He's not wrong though.

JJ, McNeil, Scott have all had quiet games but seem to get an extended run where West always comes in for one and straight out.
They are asking him to play a very difficult position as a small forward, without giving him any opportunities to get involved by playing further up the ground.

I feel they are trying to turn Wallis and West into small forwards when they are really inside mids. Sure Wallis has had some success up forward but with 3 talls up there he can't get near it, he's not a crumbing forward.

West should really be given some time in the middle as well as up forward. West went outside team first against Richmond to go with a poor game. We are not privy to what is/isn’t being asked of players or spoken about but it is hard to make a case that he wasn’t in the firing line. We also don’t know the selection headaches with match ups and specific roles that MC were juggling. This stuff is hard and someone will always be hard done by.

Don’t disagree that he is more of a mid but he ain’t getting in there without a sustained injury run. Lots of players are unable to play in their best position and have to adapt. Westy has something I’m sure of it but every time he comes up he has struggled to take his opportunity. For all we know he may already be in this week as well which could have been part of the conversation.

comrade
11-05-2021, 06:18 PM
He's not wrong though.

Quiet games don't necessarily mean bad games though. We don't know what their KPIs are but given they keep getting picked, they're obviously doing something that Bevo and the coaches like...and yes, I have whinged about his selection shenanigans here many times, I just don't think the omitting of Rhylee West is worthy of any handwringing or bad vibes.

On your point about him being a mid, I agree. But who's he squeezing out right now?

Scotty was being a bitter footy dad venting his spleen on a Saturday night rather than looking at the selections with any logic or rationale. Should be embarrassed and given he deleted it first thing in the morning, I'd say he is.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2021, 08:26 PM
Whoever posted it, the person who would be most affected would be young Rhylee. Keep working hard and you'll get another shot soon enough.

Topdog
12-05-2021, 10:30 AM
He's not wrong though.

Except that he is wrong. West for me was comfortably worst on ground, it just absolutely wasnt his day at all.

I thought JJ should have been dropped as well but for me there is no way that you could justify keeping West in the team.

Is he unlucky that his main position is already filled? Yes
Is he a small forward? No

Neither of those things help to keep him in the team though.

Mofra
12-05-2021, 11:15 AM
Except that he is wrong. West for me was comfortably worst on ground, it just absolutely wasnt his day at all.

I thought JJ should have been dropped as well but for me there is no way that you could justify keeping West in the team.

Is he unlucky that his main position is already filled? Yes
Is he a small forward? No

Neither of those things help to keep him in the team though.
JJ had a poor game from the outside looking in but if his role was a a defensive forward he may well have done what the coaching group asked him to do. Sometimes it's hard for us to judge what each player's role is.

Rhylee's poor game wasn't due to lack of effort or endeavour, I prefer that to a player that drops off their intensity. Noting he was the medical sub last week he's in a tough spot, he either plays against Port (which will be hard with Williams back and potentially English and Young too) or he doesn't, meaning he has had two weeks without a game and will certainly need a VFL game under his belt before he's considered again.

By the time he's in contention against we may well have Toby McLean getting VFL games under his belt and not long after that Marra may push for senior gametime as well. That's assuming Garcia or Butler haven;t snagged a game and both have been putting in strong VFL form too... and both can run.

bornadog
12-05-2021, 11:21 AM
JJ had a poor game from the outside looking in but if his role was a a defensive forward he may well have done what the coaching group asked him to do. Sometimes it's hard for us to judge what each player's role is.

Rhylee's poor game wasn't due to lack of effort or endeavour, I prefer that to a player that drops off their intensity. Noting he was the medical sub last week he's in a tough spot, he either plays against Port (which will be hard with Williams back and potentially English and Young too) or he doesn't, meaning he has had two weeks without a game and will certainly need a VFL game under his belt before he's considered again.

By the time he's in contention against we may well have Toby McLean getting VFL games under his belt and not long after that Marra may push for senior gametime as well. That's assuming Garcia or Butler haven;t snagged a game and both have been putting in strong VFL form too... and both can run.

VFL bye this week doesn't help either

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2021, 11:22 PM
Rhylee's efforts were very poor.

He played like a maniac.
How you come off an effort like that full of anger at others beats me.
Lost respect for the family after this incident.
Embarrassing.

mjp
13-05-2021, 10:02 AM
What would you guys say if I told you that Rhylee had played in 10 games for 7-wins and 3-losses. And after EVERY SINGLE ONE of those losses, he had been dropped?

Further, I *THINK* there is only once during his career (he debuted in July 2019) that he has played more than one game in a row - he played 3-in-a-row in the middle of last year (win vs North, win vs Syd, loss to Blues - DROPPED).

I don't think he played well vs Richmond - as I said before, there were a couple of incidents that were 'not TEAM' - but if every time he gets a game he gets dropped straight away, are you surprised that he played like (to quote) "a MANIAC".

I don't think going to socials was particularly smart by Rhylee's family (whoever it was - I'm not sure it matters) I think they had a point. West needs to be given an extended run in the team. He needs to be TOLD he will get an extended run in the team. He (fundamentally) needs to know that after his next game he isn't going to be kicked to the curb...if you think previous selection decisions aren't playing on his mind then you are kidding.

comrade
13-05-2021, 10:39 AM
What would you guys say if I told you that Rhylee had played in 10 games for 7-wins and 3-losses. And after EVERY SINGLE ONE of those losses, he had been dropped?

Further, I *THINK* there is only once during his career (he debuted in July 2019) that he has played more than one game in a row - he played 3-in-a-row in the middle of last year (win vs North, win vs Syd, loss to Blues - DROPPED).

I don't think he played well vs Richmond - as I said before, there were a couple of incidents that were 'not TEAM' - but if every time he gets a game he gets dropped straight away, are you surprised that he played like (to quote) "a MANIAC".

I don't think going to socials was particularly smart by Rhylee's family (whoever it was - I'm not sure it matters) I think they had a point. West needs to be given an extended run in the team. He needs to be TOLD he will get an extended run in the team. He (fundamentally) needs to know that after his next game he isn't going to be kicked to the curb...if you think previous selection decisions aren't playing on his mind then you are kidding.

Yep, that all makes sense and it seems pretty clear from the outside we have a group of players that are given a very short amount of rope (West, Young, Schache, Cavarra, Lipinski) which has been raised here numerous times.

Go_Dogs
13-05-2021, 10:41 AM

Maybe he was told that, and then dishes up the “anti-team” stuff which left us no option? We don’t know. There has to be some non negotiable stuff in his game day performance, and that wasn’t it.

It’s irrelevant now. He’ll get another chance - he’s too good not to - and hopefully he’s learned a thing or two and we’ve provided some clarity around expectations and he will be better for it.

MrMahatma
13-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Maybe he was told that, and then dishes up the “anti-team” stuff which left us no option? We don’t know. There has to be some non negotiable stuff in his game day performance, and that wasn’t it.

It’s irrelevant now. He’ll get another chance - he’s too good not to - and hopefully he’s learned a thing or two and we’ve provided some clarity around expectations and he will be better for it.

There’s always an option to not drop someone.

In many ways, at 7-1, it’s hard to argue with how Bevo is running the team and selections. In other ways, some of the decisions seem harsh.

Grantysghost
13-05-2021, 11:00 AM
Was it just a case of McNeil being available after he wasn't? He's ahead of Rhylee in that small forward role at this point.
I don't think you should be automatically gifted a block of games but I do see that it probably isn't helpful to the players development and confidence to be dropped after 1 week.

comrade
13-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Was it just a case of McNeil being available after he wasn't? He's ahead of Rhylee in that small forward role at this point.
I don't think you should be automatically gifted a block of games but I do see that it probably isn't helpful to the players development and confidence to be dropped after 1 week.

We're making a mess of the development of some of our younger players, particularly West and Young. Being 7-1 gives Bevo credits in the bank of course, we're here to surge towards a top 4 spot rather than focusing on developing kids, but there is a management balancing act to be had and I think he tips too far one way for some and another for others, which is what has set West off I imagine.

We can only hope the players are receiving clear communication as to why they're constantly on the edge of selection/demotion.

azabob
13-05-2021, 11:22 AM
I'm neither here nor there on West but dropping certain players after 1 game isn't isolated to this year, so not sure the out clause with match selection is our 2021 win / loss record.

Personally I think fringe players like Young, West, Lipinksi and Schache should be given a block of games (3-4) and told if you do A,B,C you will play the next week.

bornadog
13-05-2021, 12:10 PM
I'm neither here nor there on West but dropping certain players after 1 game isn't isolated to this year, so not sure the out clause with match selection is our 2021 win / loss record.

Personally I think fringe players like Young, West, Lipinksi and Schache should be given a block of games (3-4) and told if you do A,B,C you will play the next week.

Can we afford to do that and carry players in a game?

azabob
13-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Can we afford to do that and carry players in a game?

I think there is a balance. Obviously you can't carry four players but you could carry 1.

Injuries will come and it is about making sure the players you bring in know what is required and know that the coaching staff and their team mates have confidence in them.

Topdog
13-05-2021, 12:45 PM
He needs to be TOLD he will get an extended run in the team. He (fundamentally) needs to know that after his next game he isn't going to be kicked to the curb...if you think previous selection decisions aren't playing on his mind then you are kidding.

We seem to have this problem with quite a few younger players. I really wish we had done it last year when realistically we were a fair way off it.

Young, West and Lip have all been through it.

bornadog
13-05-2021, 02:26 PM
Are we judging Rhylee on his ability or because he is son of Scott?

I haven't seen anything special about him at this stage.

bulldogsthru&thru
13-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Are we judging Rhylee on his ability or because he is son of Scott?

I haven't seen anything special about him at this stage.

I haven’t either. Could he be Mitch Wallis mk2?

Happy Days
13-05-2021, 02:36 PM
I’ve really liked his intensity and body work in contested situations as a forward and a mid, and he’s a pretty nice finisher too. Ironically his main issue is struggling to get enough of the ball, which is hopefully something he could speak to his dad about.

I’m all for giving him an extended run.

Mofra
13-05-2021, 03:14 PM
I hope they are - but we wouldn't be privy to what A, B & C are so that may well be happening already.

Mofra
13-05-2021, 03:15 PM
I’ve really liked his intensity and body work in contested situations as a forward and a mid, and he’s a pretty nice finisher too. Ironically his main issue is struggling to get enough of the ball, which is hopefully something he could speak to his dad about.

I’m all for giving him an extended run.
he can find it pretty easy at VFL level and he certainly tackles with intent. For me I see traits worth persisting with in Rhylee and he can certainly consider himself unlucky not to have played more AFL football this year.

soupman
13-05-2021, 03:30 PM
I have some concerns about him, but think there is enough there to be deserving of more opportunity.

My main issues are that he is an inside mid that is neither big nor good enough there to push the many other mids on our list out the way, so he has to reinvent himself elsewhere. A bit like Honeychurch he is a dominant mid at VFL level and a middling smallish forward who is pacy but not quick at AFL level.

The other big thing is that I don't think he has adjusted how he plays at all for the AFL. He is a meatball, partly out of necessity. He is super short, and then on top of that is built a bit like a toddler where he has short limbs. Some players can get away with that, Daniel Rich has a toddler body but is also elite in areas where it doesn't matter, Caleb Daniel is tiny but is in proportion and is super talented. Callum Brown is the most similiar to me as another undersized mid masquerading as a half forward without any elite traits that are easily usable at AFL level.

Because he has doubled down on the strength aspect to compensate he plays like a wrecking ball at VFL level. There he is strong enough to shrug tackles and use his intensity in contested situations to burst out to his advantage. His go to move when faced with an opponent in close proximity is not to avoid them but rather run into them and use his strength to bounce them off him. At AFL level he isn't big enough for that. Think about how many times he runs into tackles or tries to shrug one and gets done. This happened in the Richmond game. He needs to learn quickly that he needs to employ a different move when he wins the ball in tight, and I'm not sure he can learn that in the VFL where the move works.

So atm he isn't in the mix to play his best role and a key component of playing his current role as a contested small forward is to show an ability to find space and his move to do that isn't a good one.

The other thing he does that I worry about is that he flies for everything. Like Cody Weightman despite being a short arse and playing in a side (either AFL or VFL level) with very good marking targets already West loves to launch himself at contested marks. He has to stop doing this immediately, unlike Cody he isn't even a good mark for his size and is only making it harder for Naughton/Bruce/JUH/Schache/English/literally everyone else on our list who has ever played forward because they are all much better marks than him. He can fix this, Hunter used to fly a lot and doesn't anymore, but I'm a bit annoyed that 3 seasons in he is still doing this.

I think there is potential there, but his skills aren't amazing, he isn't big enough to play his preferred role, I'm not sure he is clever enough to be good at his adopted role, and I'm not sure he has anything about him aside from tenacity (like speed, aerial ability, goal sense, versatility) that really sets him apart. Maybe his ability to win the ball in tight but I've covered his limitations with that already. Even as a pressure forward I think it is clear guys like McNeill and Scott cover the ground much better and have other attributes for the role West doesn't naturally have.

I actually think he is a bit like Lin Jong without the most important part of Jongs arsenal, the strength, size and athleticism. He plays as a bash and crash inside mid or as a "general forward" who goes for his marks and doesn't really crumb. This needs to change if he is to make it.

Tbf I have not seen much of him at VFL level, so maybe he has improved significantly there, but based on the very limited opportunities he has had with the seniors I am sceptical of what we see him becoming. I do agree though that I hate it when we give young guys and opportunity and then seem to change our minds by halftime so if we think there is something there and he has earnt selection then give him an actual run at it.

soupman
13-05-2021, 03:38 PM
Having written all that I think I have reached the conclusion that I just don't know what he becomes. I mean I don't see him making it as a proper inside mid, and I think for all the other roles he can pinch hit in I think I'd just rather pick someone who is actually that instead of trying to turn him into one.

I mean if we want a small forward with tenacity, energy and goal sense then I think Weightman is much better equipped than West, and I'm not super hot on Cody.

bornadog
13-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Having written all that I think I have reached the conclusion that I just don't know what he becomes. I mean I don't see him making it as a proper inside mid, and I think for all the other roles he can pinch hit in I think I'd just rather pick someone who is actually that instead of trying to turn him into one.

I mean if we want a small forward with tenacity, energy and goal sense then I think Weightman is much better equipped than West, and I'm not super hot on Cody.

Agreed, these are my thoughts as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2021, 04:43 PM

Hard to argue with any of that.

I was really disappointed in his game v Richmond as I want to see him succeed, but those issues of flying for marks / trying to break tackles were really evident.

Despite this I think he's good in the contest and can use his body well, but he needs to focus on bringing other players into the game. At the moment he's selfish but that can be fixed.

I haven't given up on him and I think he can be a mid/forward but he needs to become team oriented and he needs to be given a decent run at it.

SonofScray
13-05-2021, 04:58 PM
West can play.

In the RFC game he generated 3 scoring opportunities in the first quarter and a bit through a strong attack on the ball and smart s with it in hand. It didn't pay off, but getting the opportunities are the first half of the battle and he is capable. Strikes gold on half of them and we'd all be pretty happy I suspect.

Think he has a reasonably good nose for goal, wants to create and get his hands on the ball. I don't agree with Scotty going bananas online about it, but I'd be looking to him over JJ in the role JJ currently is taking on too.

FrediKanoute
13-05-2021, 11:28 PM
West can play.

In the RFC game he generated 3 scoring opportunities in the first quarter and a bit through a strong attack on the ball and smart s with it in hand. It didn't pay off, but getting the opportunities are the first half of the battle and he is capable. Strikes gold on half of them and we'd all be pretty happy I suspect.

Think he has a reasonably good nose for goal, wants to create and get his hands on the ball. I don't agree with Scotty going bananas online about it, but I'd be looking to him over JJ in the role JJ currently is taking on too.

This is more my opinion of West. He has footy smarts. If Libba went down he is who I would parachute into the middle.

meenies
13-05-2021, 11:34 PM
Is this showing a bit of evidence that whilst VFL form is solid for these guys, Buku and others that perhaps that standard is just too far behind AFL level. The transition is maybe too great at the moment?

Vred
14-05-2021, 12:24 AM
Is this showing a bit of evidence that whilst VFL form is solid for these guys, Buku and others that perhaps that standard is just too far behind AFL level. The transition is maybe too great at the moment?

I've been wondering this myself. The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players. Is AFL getting too far ahead of the second tier competition, or is the second tier competition not developing players like it use to?

Mofra
14-05-2021, 11:01 AM
I've been wondering this myself. The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players. Is AFL getting too far ahead of the second tier competition, or is the second tier competition not developing players like it use to?
Well the rules are different for a start and VFL is a mixture of part-time footballers, kids who are developing and fringe types who get less time on an AFL List than they did 10 years ago. There are also 'powerhouse' teams from the NEAFL which as a comp was a step below the VFL.

The jump certainly does seem to be getting bigger and taking a medical sub each week for the AFL out of most NEAFL sides only weakens the competition further.

Scorlibo
14-05-2021, 01:48 PM

Well the rules are different for a start and VFL is a mixture of part-time footballers, kids who are developing and fringe types who get less time on an AFL List than they did 10 years ago. There are also 'powerhouse' teams from the NEAFL which as a comp was a step below the VFL.

The jump certainly does seem to be getting bigger and taking a medical sub each week for the AFL out of most NEAFL sides only weakens the competition further.

You can add to these points the fact that there was no VFL competition in 2020. So much match fitness, team cohesion lost in one year. For the same reason I feel like the 2020 draft year will be behind the eight ball for a long time, probably the 2021 draft year also.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Watching VFL highlights V Carlton. We have Cavarra and bunch of others. There is no shortage of tough, nuggety small players. Rhylee will find it challenging to get a slot.

Link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_odAICA9sI)

bornadog
14-05-2021, 02:48 PM
BEVERIDGE PUTS ARM AROUND SON OF THE WEST (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/05/14/beveridge-puts-arm-around-son-of-the-west/)

Luke Beveridge says he has spoken with Rhylee West, after his famous father Scott publicly reproached the Western Bulldogs coach for dropping his son.

West, who played 324 games and won seven best and fairest awards over 16 seasons at Whitten Oval, described Beveridge’s handling of his son as “absolutely disgraceful management” in a Facebook post.

The 20-year-old was axed after recording just five disposals and three turnovers against Richmond, in his first appearance for the year.

Beveridge says the club has put an arm around the talented pup as the story has played out.
“Rhylee and I have come together… (our) relationship is extremely strong,” Beveridge told reporters on Friday.

“I feel like a little bit of a father figure to Rhylee at times.

“(We’ve been) just reassuring him that everything is going to be okay. The sensitivity around something like that being made public…

“Everyone’s really wary and cautious and definitely emotional towards Rhylee to make sure he’s okay.

“Something that should be private went public. That happens from time to time, it’s an emotional game.”

West was named the medical substitute for the Dogs’ win over Carlton on Sunday, but did not feature.
In two reserves appearances prior to his recall, West had 22 disposals and a goal against Gold Coast, and 25 disposals and three goals against the Giants’ twos.

“For Rhylee’s sake, I hope we just move on,” Beveridge went on.

“He’s just scratching the surface in his career and there’ll be some disappointment here and there, a lot of the boys have been through it.”

A Footscray player himself from 1993 to 1995, a guarded Beveridge had little interest in exchanging barbs with his former teammate.

“Scott and I historically… we played together, we’ve been really close mates,” he said.
“I’d rather not extend the commentary around that aspect if I can.”

Former Dogs defender Lindsay Gilbee believes West would be regretting the post, particularly as it was removed.

“I think the only person it can hurt is Rhylee… if Scott had his time again he wouldn’t have gone down that path,” Gilbee told SEN’s The Sporting Capital.

“It adds more pressure to Rhylee that he doesn’t need. He just wants to go back, play good footy and put his name up for selection again.”

Beveridge went on to say the club has historically managed disgruntlement among players’ families well.

“Brent Prismall does an enormous job as our welfare manager, talking to the parents along the way, (about) their own emotions. Occasionally I have those conversations too,” Beveridge revealed.

“It’s not something done weekly.’’

Perceived as somewhat eccentric at the selection table, Beveridge also defended the decisions made at match committee.

“When you’re fielding strong sides from week to week, unfortunately, occasionally, some of the lads are missing out,” he went on.

“I do head up a match committee, we collaborate and I think make really insightful and good decisions selection-wise, and it’s always with a view to win the game.

“I think it’s really held us in good stead, it’s helped us make two finals series when we looked down and out.

“Where maybe (other) clubs have stagnated and missed out, we’ve been able to come again by making alterations.

“The track record for the match committee here at the club has been really strong.”

The Bulldogs next face 2020 minor premiers Port Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval on Saturday night.

Twodogs
14-05-2021, 07:43 PM
West can play.

I agree completely. West gets his hands on the ball and usually uses it to advantage when he does. He might not look massve or have an overly athletic build but he is a good footballer and can play the game.

bornadog
14-05-2021, 10:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1V202GUYAIrZjI?format=jpg&name=medium

FrediKanoute
14-05-2021, 10:22 PM
“Brent Prismall does an enormous job as our welfare manager, talking to the parents along the way, (about) their own emotions. Occasionally I have those conversations too,” Beveridge revealed.

Its funny on the SannyBOyd (Dan McGinley and Tom Boyd) podcast with Fletcher Roberts, he said the exact opposite - that Brent was stretched!

AshMac
15-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Terrible look for West and the club, but as Bevo says it does happen. Perhaps for the second time in a year a father has attacked him online - if you believe the Andrew Dunkley comments at trade time were accurate.

Scotty did have a point, boy like that need 5-6 games and the reassurance that they’re playing no matter what to release the pressure. There’s be half a dozen guys who didn’t deserve the spot the following week after Richmond, west seems like the scapegoat in a way

comrade
16-05-2021, 11:05 AM
Interesting to compare Rhylee and Cody Weightman - after some good form at VFL level, both were brought in to pressure cooker type games.

One muffed his lines, one took his chance. If Rhylee handled the occasion as well as Cody, no way would he have been omitted.

DOG GOD
16-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Interesting to compare Rhylee and Cody Weightman - after some good form at VFL level, both were brought in to pressure cooker type games.

One muffed his lines, one took his chance. If Rhylee handled the occasion as well as Cody, no way would he have been omitted.

One played a disciplined game and one didn’t.

mjp
16-05-2021, 01:58 PM
The gap between VFL and AFL is starting to widen to the point that making the jump upto the AFL seems to be almost insurmountable to some players.

Watch the games for a bit. AFL is a different SPORT to the state-league competitions. It just is.

Being able to play VFL games (versus last year) is of course better but for our young players to get better, they need to be exposed at AFL level...otherwise the old "I can tell you what can happen when you put your hand in the fire - but until you do it you wont REALLY know" analogy springs to mind. Watching vision, everything still seems to happen at NORMAL speed...it doesn't. It just doesn't. Players who can come in and impact immediately (and consistently) like Smith are becoming rarer and rarer...