PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy?

SlimPickens
28-10-2018, 03:06 PM
I understand that he hasn’t been in the job for that long. But considering that injuries are creeping back into his game, is it time for Easton to relinquish the captaincy in 2019?

I wonder if it could be a win win, with Easton having some pressure off his shoulders and getting him back to the care free nature of play, which I feel is where we see him at his best.

Would like to read other people’s thoughts on this.

GVGjr
28-10-2018, 03:17 PM
From a media and PR perspective I think he handles the captaincy okay but over the last two years if we are honest he hasn't been a very good player. Most players who put up his type of performances over a decent period of time would be under a lot more scrutiny than Wood receives. I wonder if he is a strong leader around the club because over the last 2 years we've had our share of challenges with some players?

I'm not sure we can remove him form that captaincy position though especially given the logical replacement in Bontempelli hasn't re-signed.

It's a reasonable idea but does him being the captain distract from his recovery from injury or the way he plays and performs? I tend to doubt it.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2018, 03:30 PM
If Bonts signs on, then I'd offer him the job. Easton needs to spend every second on his body and getting back for 2016 form. That's not a knock on Easton, but a reality check. Bonts with 5-7 years and captaincy, I think he'd take his game to another spectacular level. Some guys do ok with the captaincy, some plateau and some excel with the pressure and expectation as the guy to do 'it' in clutch moments. Bonts is the latter.

azabob
28-10-2018, 03:43 PM
I am torn on this one; which is interesting to me in its own right.

I was a huge advocate for Easton Wood keeping the captaincy in 2017 to allow Murphy to come back and concentrate on his game and getting back to his best.

Wood played with the care free nature in 2016 and was great. I do wonder if in 2016 he only had to concentrate on field leadership and the off field heavy lifting was done by Murphy and Boyd?

Marcus Bontempelli is the obvious choice as replacement, but he also wasn't without his own injury and form issues throughout 2018. Outside of Bontempelli we don't have anyone screaming captain material yet. Wallis not a lock for best 22, Picken injury concerns, Dunkley too young, Morris stepped down this year due to age.

Potentially Jackson Macrae is an option however he hasn't been in an official leadership role at the club yet.

Jackson Trengrove is an interesting case for mine and should be a dead certainty for being elevated to leadership group. He appears everything you want a leader to be gives 100% every contest and seems the ultimate team man.

As a club we have lost a lot of experience and leadership over the past 24 months, which ever way we go we need to have a strong and united leadership group.

For me I think the time is right to make Marcus Bontempelli Captain, I get the feeling his games naturally elevates to greater levels when he is Captain. My only concern, reservation is he is yet to commit from 2020 onwards.

I'd keep the leadership group small and tight in 2019.

Captain - Marcus Bontempelli
V-Captain - Jackson Trengrove
DVC - Jackson Macrae

kruder
28-10-2018, 03:46 PM
From a media and PR perspective I think he handles the captaincy okay but over the last two years if we are honest he hasn't been a very good player. Most players who put up his type of performances over a decent period of time would be under a lot more scrutiny than Wood receives. I wonder if he is a strong leader around the club because over the last 2 years we've had our share of challenges with some players?

I'm not sure we can remove him form that captaincy position though especially given the logical replacement in Bontempelli hasn't re-signed.

It's a reasonable idea but does him being the captain distract from his recovery from injury or the way he plays and performs? I tend to doubt it.

I'm amazed at the lack of scrutiny on Wood, his form has dropped off as much as any player in the competition. In an ideal world he improves this year stays captain while Bont get backs to his best, signs on a long term deal and becomes Captain in 2020.

GVGjr
28-10-2018, 04:00 PM
I'm amazed at the lack of scrutiny on Wood, his form has dropped off as much as any player in the competition. In an ideal world he improves this year stays captain while Bont get backs to his best, signs on a long term deal and becomes Captain in 2020.

He's been a darling of the fans for many years. When Christian Howard was being ridiculed for his poor performances despite having better averages than Easton Wood there was no pressure on Wood. Over the last 2 years JJ copped a fair bit of scrutiny when his form dropped and yet Wood hasn't really been on the radar. When he was asked to move forward this year and make a contribution he fell well short of the mark and yet Bevo wore the blame for that.
When he is playing well he is a good performer but anything less than that he becomes at best an average player. Despite all that I think the captaincy and a spot in the 22 when fit is guaranteed for him.

Go_Dogs
28-10-2018, 04:02 PM
Good question.

After his injury/surgery post GF in 2016, I suspected he'd struggle in 2017. We then had him spend all summer training as a forward for 2018, only to lack the conviction to proceed with it after 5 quarters of football, which didn't set him up for success.

I think he's a polished young man and a good leader to have with such a young group. Hopefully we let him lead the defensive group and have a more settled on-field role in 2019.

bornadog
28-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Good question.

After his injury/surgery post GF in 2016, I suspected he'd struggle in 2017. We then had him spend all summer training as a forward for 2018, only to lack the conviction to proceed with it after 5 quarters of football, which didn't set him up for success.

I think he's a polished young man and a good leader to have with such a young group. Hopefully we let him lead the defensive group and have a more settled on-field role in 2019.

Good summation, people forget about his ankle surgery at the end of 2016, he lost a bit of spring as well.

We have also tended to use him as a tall which has taken away what he did in his AA year, that is, giving him freedom to move . His roles have been to play tight against some ridiculous opponents like Buddy - we are trying to kill the bloke. With Naughton emerging, and Cordy to take on the third talls, plus Morris back in the team, Woods role should once more be the intercept player. We saw some of this in the last few games in 2018. To me he stays as captain, and then the Bont can have it after he signs his extension beyond 2020.

chef
28-10-2018, 06:04 PM
Im happy for Wood to keep it another year, if Bont doesnt sign this year.

If hes not signing i dont want him leading our club.

jeemak
28-10-2018, 06:40 PM
He's been a darling of the fans for many years. When Christian Howard was being ridiculed for his poor performances despite having better averages than Easton Wood there was no pressure on Wood. Over the last 2 years JJ copped a fair bit of scrutiny when his form dropped and yet Wood hasn't really been on the radar. When he was asked to move forward this year and make a contribution he fell well short of the mark and yet Bevo wore the blame for that.
When he is playing well he is a good performer but anything less than that he becomes at best an average player. Despite all that I think the captaincy and a spot in the 22 when fit is guaranteed for him.

I'd be a bit surprised that he'd ever cop criticism for not being able to perform well in a position completely unnatural to him in one of the worst performing teams in the competition. It was an hubristic move by Bevo to try and build a strategy around Wood playing forward, and it was shown that when the team played its players by and large in the positions they were most suited to, with the odd tweak (like Caleb playing back and Dunks getting more on-ball time) that it performed better. I really hope the coaching team don't pull any bullshit this preseason and just get on with things.

That aside he also clearly brought attributes to the table that Howard never did, irrespective of my feeling that Howard copped more than he should have due to his high draft position.

I agree that he has avoided some of the criticism directed at JJ, but he didn't hold the club to ransom for a "career" defining contract like JJ did, and that counts for something. However, he should be played as he was in the final round against Richmond, that's his go and if he doesn't perform in that role then his position in the team should be under some scrutiny.

As for the OP's topic, I want Bont to sign a long term deal this side of Christmas and be announced as captain. It's the right time with our team developing as it is.

SlimPickens
28-10-2018, 07:33 PM
Good post Jee, I tend to agree. Simply put I want Easton back playing dominant intercepting football and if the giving up the captaincy helps him achieve this I’m all for it. Obviously Bont is the next in line although I think guys like Trengove, Wallis, Macrae etc should be in the conversation.

Remi Moses
28-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Some well thought out posts on here
Let’s hope and prey for no hubris in the pre-season .
On topic I’d like Easton to have one more season and have the baton over to The Bont .

S Coast Simon
28-10-2018, 09:29 PM
I would like Bont to sign a big contract then be announced as captain. The time is right. Wood needs to focus on getting back to his best with rehab and confidence. Needs to be able to concentrate on just himself this year. I believe the Bont would rise as the Captain in his own right. He has been great as a fill in but he needs to be given the opportunity to lead this team as it’s sole Captain. I think he would step it up another level as the leader

boydogs
28-10-2018, 10:03 PM
It's a team of kids that need experienced leadership, leave it with Easton

LostDoggy
28-10-2018, 10:24 PM
One more year for Easton feels about right then hand it over to the Bont.

bulldogtragic
28-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Curve ball.

Say a team throws a stupid mega godfather offer at Bonts. 10 million, over 8 years...
He's weighing up an offer like that, it's hard to dismiss immediately...
We believe that our offer is competitive but not enough for an immediate decision...
We believe that offering the captaincy will result in a swift long term contract extension. Locking him in, and setting us up to go about signing a lot of other guns coming out of contract. Great for him, great for other players, great for list manager, great for club, great for members, great for hope heading into 2019...

Do we automatically offer/give him the captaincy irregardless?

(I'm already in the give it to him, so my answer is there already)

Testekill
28-10-2018, 11:03 PM
I think that Bont is ready to become the full-time captain. I can't name many 23 year olds that were ready to be captain but I reckon that Bont has his head on his shoulders and should be ready to embrace the role.

edit: He also captained us a few times this season anyways.

bornadog
28-10-2018, 11:34 PM
He also captained us a few times this season anyways.

Did it effect his performance?

bornadog
28-10-2018, 11:40 PM
HUN on captains

Is it Bont time?

Easton Wood led the Dogs to a drought-breaking flag in 2016 as a stand-in for Bob Murphy and was stand-alone skipper for the first time in 2018.
But he never got a decent run at it, suffering a serious hamstring injury that restricted him to just 12 games.

Marcus Bontempelli stepped into the job for the second half of the year - although that didn’t go entirely smoothly either, with Bont missing two games himself with injury. The captain’s armband was handed to Lachie Hunter for Rounds 17 and 18.

Hunter went on to win the best-and-fairest but Bont is the heir apparent and the timing seems right at age 22 (23 in November) and 104 games into a career Dog fans will rival the club’s greats.

the rest here (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/who-will-captain-your-club-in-2019/news-story/d92f1cfd5a4c5117b42736a783ba2191)

Ghost Dog
29-10-2018, 01:09 AM
If It helps Bont stay and he wants to be captain let him have it. But don't want to distract him from his footy and would rather he get a few more years on him. Easton is a solid captain, barring injury.

Ozza
29-10-2018, 01:05 PM
I find it hard to comment on captaincy. I think without being inside the club - it is a really difficult one to be definitive about. It can be hard enough to be definitive about it inside a footy club.

That's not by any means to say that it isn't worthy of debate and hypothesis. Its just one that I feel is by far best judged from within. I recall the backlash in the general public when the likes of Maxwell and Harley were made captains - who were fairly average players in amongst many champions - but the reality is that they became great captains for those groups.

If those who know Bont best, feel that he wants the captaincy and that his performance will thrive from being the sole leader - then great.

BulldogBelle
30-10-2018, 07:18 AM
The Captaincy can be a burden. I’m in favour of Easton for2 more years. At that stage the Bont will be 25 and poised to take it with both hands.

SonofScray
30-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Maybe one more year, but it feels like it could be one of those years where form + captaincy won't gel well. I think Hawthorn dropped Richie Vandenberg a few times when he was captain? It's an unsettling premise.

That being said, Wood has some terrific football under his belt when fit and with plenty of continuity in his game. Through injuries to himself and others, as well as positional changes, he's had a fair bit on his plate. I wouldn't oppose him handing over to Bont.

AshMac
31-10-2018, 09:42 AM
It’s unfortunate that we don’t depth in experience to have other options from our current captain who has been injury plagued again and form has been questionable and a 23 year old - even if he does walk on water.

One look at our leadership team this year is enough to show the leadership situation. If Wally was back at his best he’d be my choice. Macrae doesn’t appear to want leadership responsibility IMO and JJ and Hunter aren’t inspiring enough for me.

If I had to choose between Bont and Wood - then bont if he wants it. But agree w everyone else here that we sign him until he is 42 first.

hujsh
04-12-2018, 11:50 AM
Wood to remain captain with Bont as Vice. Hunter and JJ remain in the leadership group joined by Trengove and Wallis.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-12-04/bulldogs-duo-elevated-to-leadership-group

The Doctor
04-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Excellent.

Wood is one of the best captains in the competition. I hope he has it for several years yet.

GVGjr
04-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Wood to remain captain with Bont as Vice. Hunter and JJ remain in the leadership group joined by Trengove and Wallis.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-12-04/bulldogs-duo-elevated-to-leadership-group

A real strengthening of the leadership group.

Trengove and Wallis are quality players to have at our club

bulldogtragic
04-12-2018, 01:06 PM
I would have loved to see Macrae in there. But it's a much better group than this season.

hujsh
04-12-2018, 02:38 PM
For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-12-2018, 04:58 PM
For anyone scratching their head on who's left the group it's Roughead and Redpath. I had totally forgotten Redpath was part of the group this year.

The way the article mentioned a few times about different characters and leading in different ways/styles leads me to think that perhaps lasts seasons selections were to appease all the different factions amongst the footy team. Perhaps that's how Redpath was nominated into the leadership group. To appease the now mostly defunct "unmotivated" party group.

bornadog
04-12-2018, 05:27 PM

Redpath - that was surely a joke. I really thought it was a stupid move to put him in.

GVGjr
04-12-2018, 06:03 PM

I'm confident that Roughead would have been a positive influence and Redpath might have been worth a try but we've done very well moving Wallis and Trengove into the leadership group.

I was very impressed with Trengove at the East meets West night, a real natural leader and clubman

Go_Dogs
04-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Great to have Wally and Trengove added to the group. Well done to both.

Vred
07-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Big fan of both Trengove and Wally, glad to see them promoted into leadership roles.
I'd given Easton another year with Captain, assess how this season goes and take it from there.

GVGjr
07-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Big fan of both Trengove and Wally, glad to see them promoted into leadership roles.
I'd given Easton another year with Captain, assess how this season goes and take it from there.

Sounds like a decent plan to me. The problem might be that he does too good of a job as captain though and Bont might just have to wait

Vred
07-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Sounds like a decent plan to me. The problem might be that he does too good of a job as captain though and Bont might just have to wait

Is that a problem tho? ;)
Bont is a great Vice, keep him there for now, gives him responsibility without the full pressure of captainship, and allows him to continue to focus on building his game.

He'll be captain sooner or later, but I still reckon Easton has a bit left in him in that role.

Twodogs
07-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Bont is a great Vice, keep him there for now, gives him responsibility without the full pressure of captainship, and allows him to continue to focus on building his game.

He'll be captain sooner or later, but I still reckon Easton has a bit left in him in that role.

Nice problem to have I reckon. The club has annointed Bont as the captain in waiting and as long as he is happy with the set up and comfortable growing into the role then it's great that we have a succession plan involving great players and leaders like Easton and the Bont.

Vred
07-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Nice problem to have I reckon. The club has annointed Bont as the captain in waiting and as long as he is happy with the set up and comfortable growing into the role then it's great that we have a succession plan involving great players and leaders like Easton and the Bont.

Exactly. I think Easton does a good job as Cap, i mean, 2016 and all..

Question is, who becomes Vice when Bont becomes Cap? Or is that thinking to far ahead?

Twodogs
07-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Question is, who becomes Vice when Bont becomes Cap? Or is that thinking to far ahead?

Personally I like Dunkley as Bont's prospective 2IC. The other players seem to stop and listen when Dunkley speaks. He commands respect.

GVGjr
07-12-2018, 06:18 PM

Definitely not a problem but what happens if Wood keeps the spot for 2 years and Bont hasn't signed on for his next contract?

Vred
07-12-2018, 11:31 PM
Definitely not a problem but what happens if Wood keeps the spot for 2 years and Bont hasn't signed on for his next contract?

You really think Bont would walk over not being given captaincy? Doesn’t seem to be that type of character, but I could be wrong.

i like the 2 year contract idea with 98% of our players, but Bont was one I really wanted them to lock him in for 5 to 6 years, disappointed they didn’t.

GVGjr
07-12-2018, 11:36 PM
You really think Bont would walk over not being given captaincy? Doesn’t seem to be that type of character, but I could be wrong.

i like the 2 year contract idea with 98% of our players, but Bont was one I really wanted them to lock him in for 5 to 6 years, disappointed they didn’t.

It's more around the fact that I don't think we can offer the captaincy to any player if they aren't signed on for at least 2 years

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-12-2018, 01:56 AM

Is that part of the lure though. Easton's time is done 2 years and we start negotiations with Bonti a year prior to his contract expiring; hopefully off the back of two good seasons for him and a list coming into its prime?
Its sounds like a tantalising bait to have in front of him as he contemplates coming into free agency.

jeemak
08-12-2018, 03:40 AM
It all depends how the side is performing, how the list looks and how the coach is going as well. To think that hanging onto Bont after his current contract is dependent on whether he gets the captaincy is a bit narrow for mine.

If we want to keep him captaincy is just one of a myriad of incentives that need to be tabled, most important of them is stability and the genuine prospect of prosperity on field and off.

The offers for his services will be thick and fast, and higher than what we will be able to offer. I despair if captaincy is our ace in the pack.

ratsmac
08-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Its always wise to plan ahead and foolish not too. I'd love to see Tom Boyd move into this role at some point. Although it seems unlikely at this stage, I think he would make a terrific leader. If this were to eventuate it would mean Tom is over his health issues and he'd be playing good footy. More responsibility could be the making of him.

Personally I like Dunkley as Bont's prospective 2IC. The other players seem to stop and listen when Dunkley speaks. He commands respect.

Dunks is a ripper and would certainly slide into that position nicely IMO as well.

Hotdog60
08-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Do you think it would be a good thing to have a set period for the captaincy say 3 years.
A couple of points to this idea would be you get a fresh approach every 3 years.
Player who aspire to be captain of a football club know they have a chance at their club without waiting for a star player to retire.
If there is nobody putting their hand up they could go for a second term.

GVGjr
08-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Do you think it would be a good thing to have a set period for the captaincy say 3 years.
A couple of points to this idea would be you get a fresh approach every 3 years.
Player who aspire to be captain of a football club know they have a chance at their club without waiting for a star player to retire.

My initial reaction was no but upon reflection there could be some merit in this.

Vred
08-12-2018, 06:57 PM

Not the worst Idea actually, I could see something like this being implemented