PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs “very close” to Bontempelli contract extension

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 10:19 AM
The Western Bulldogs and Marcus Bontempelli are “very close” to striking a contract extension, according to club CEO Ameet Bains. click here (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/01/bulldogs-very-close-to-bontempelli-contract-extension/)

“Those conversations have been ongoing between (Dogs list boss) Sam Power and Marcus’ manager Tom Petroro for a number of weeks,” Bains told SEN Breakfast.

“I think we are getting very close to getting something done.

“Marcus is an incredibly important player for the footy club, one of the best players in the comp, so it’s critical we get him locked away.

“We would be hopeful of getting that one done in the coming weeks.

“Regardless of what the final length will be, what Bulldog fans will be the most pleased to hear about is Marcus’ commitment to the footy club and how he talks about the future of the football club and his role in leading it forward is exemplary.”

Bontempelli will be a free agent at the end of next season. He averaged 24 disposals per game this season.

Bains also added he hopes Lachie Hunter is able to soon reach an agreement with the club.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 10:20 AM
All sounds positive, It would be a nice good news story for many of us

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2018, 10:23 AM
It really cannot be understated how important his signature is.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 10:27 AM
It really cannot be understated how important his signature is.

I was talking to someone the other day and we came to the conclusion that it's up there with the Chris Grant signature when Port made him that massive offer.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-11-2018, 10:37 AM
I was talking to someone the other day and we came to the conclusion that it's up there with the Chris Grant signature when Port made him that massive offer.

Agree wholeheartedly.

The effect of losing Marcus would be catsrophic for the club. To be honest, I'm not sure how invested I would continue to be if that happened.

In an era of darkening player movement, he's a beacon of light for a smaller club like ours.

bulldogtragic
02-11-2018, 11:12 AM
"Regardless of what the final length will be".

Is Bains hinting at a short extension so Bonts can try out free agency a little later? If so, give the man the captaincy and let's get him even more invested into the future of the club.

The bulldog tragician
02-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Agree wholeheartedly.

The effect of losing Marcus would be catsrophic for the club. To be honest, I'm not sure how invested I would continue to be if that happened.

In an era of darkening player movement, he's a beacon of light for a smaller club like ours.

I totally agree. There is something about The Bont, and what he represents and who he is, that means his signing is about more than securing an elite talent. I really hope this news comes soon, there hasn’t been a lot to enthuse about so far.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 12:05 PM
I totally agree. There is something about The Bont, and what he represents and who he is, that means his signing is about more than securing an elite talent. I really hope this news comes soon, there hasn’t been a lot to enthuse about so far.

Would it be good timing to get this done just prior to the AGM? A big profit announcement on top of a big signing would be great news and momentum for the club leading into 2019

The bulldog tragician
02-11-2018, 12:11 PM
Would it be good timing to get this done just prior to the AGM? A big profit announcement on top of a big signing would be great news and momentum for the club leading into 2019
It sure would!

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
It sure would!

And not forgetting a top 7 draft pick, a father son selection and 3 other exciting draft prospects. Good times

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-11-2018, 12:56 PM
"Regardless of what the final length will be"....
I really hope its a long term deal and not one that sees him to the free agent milestone.
His long term signature, signals to all where he and the club see us heading.

Greystache
02-11-2018, 01:51 PM
"Regardless of what the final length will be".

Is Bains hinting at a short extension so Bonts can try out free agency a little later? If so, give the man the captaincy and let's get him even more invested into the future of the club.

Or he can piss off and we'll win another flag! :D

*Note this strategy is contingent on us recruiting Bontempelli!

bornadog
02-11-2018, 05:56 PM
Agree wholeheartedly.

I don't know if I could go to the footy for a number of years if Bont left

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 05:59 PM
I don't know if I could go to the footy for a number of years if Bont left

Yeah you would :) Club bigger than player

bornadog
02-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Yeah you would :) Club bigger than player

:D

It would be hard to take, but I am confident he will be a bulldog for life.

GVGjr
02-11-2018, 06:03 PM

Same here. He's a wonderful player and club man but if in the very slim chance that he left it wouldn't stop me (or you) going to the football.

mjp
02-11-2018, 06:52 PM

I'm pretty confident I will be a Bulldog for life.

Not prepared to go that far when it comes to any player in this era of free-agency and player movement.

bornadog
02-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Not prepared to go that far when it comes to any player in this era of free-agency and player movement.

Fingers crossed

Bulldog Joe
02-11-2018, 06:55 PM
Same here. He's a wonderful player and club man but if in the very slim chance that he left it wouldn't stop me (or you) going to the football.

I know Bont will depart from the playing list at sometime.

Sometime after 2030 and multiple premierships is the option I choose.

ReLoad
02-11-2018, 09:44 PM
I’m optimistic however.....

This really backs the club into a corner if there’s no news for a month. I.e talks have broken down, another club swoops blah blah....

I’m in the give him captaincy now camp and it’s a 5 year deal.

S Coast Simon
03-11-2018, 01:44 AM
I’m in the give him 7 years and the captaincy. Give him a chance to lead us into a dynasty for the next decade. Sounds good though you have to admit.

GVGjr
03-11-2018, 09:02 AM
I’m optimistic however.....

This really backs the club into a corner if there’s no need for a month. I.e talks have broken down, another club swoops blah blah....

I’m in the give him captaincy now camp and it’s a 5 year deal.

That's a good point. Come the end of November if there isn't any positive news then his re-signing becomes a bigger news story.
I'm sure we are confident of getting it done but it in a way it has now time stamped this negotiation.

GVGjr
03-11-2018, 09:23 AM

That's a good way of looking at it and I guess in time we will learn to accept that player transfers are the norm. I don't like it at the moment though given that it's too heavily weighted to players getting their own way.

I think there is a risk that in time if player loyalty just evaporates and there are a high number of player movement then club memberships won't mean the same to many people.

Rocket Science
03-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Our recent history of going too public too early isn't a glittering one. You'd reeeeally hope this fish is in the boat.

ledge
03-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Our recent history of going too public too early isn't a glittering one. You'd reeeeally hope this fish is in the boat.
Please explain , who have we gone early on and they haven’t recommitted ?
Two reasons to go early
1 we are letting fans know we are talking to the player.
2 might make the opposition lay off a little thinking he is signing shortly.

Rocket Science
03-11-2018, 04:21 PM
The chad

chef
03-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Please explain , who have we gone early on and they haven’t recommitted ?
Two reasons to go early
1 we are letting fans know we are talking to the player.
2 might make the opposition lay off a little thinking he is signing shortly.

Might make the opposition go harder too thinking they need to pull their fingers out and have a crack.

Doc26
03-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Without having heard where this originated from maybe it was just a standard response by the Club after being asked again by the pressing media.

We did seem to toe the same line to them for months on Libba’s contract.

Until Bont is actually re-signed will I rest a bit easier, and even then, what really is a contract worth in the AFL these days.

bornadog
03-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Without having heard where this originated from maybe it was just a standard response by the Club after being asked again by the pressing media.

Until Bont is actually re-signed will I rest a bit easier, and even then, what really is a contract worth in the AFL these days.

Ameet Bains on SEN friday

G-Mo77
03-11-2018, 08:08 PM

I'm the same Doc, until it's signed I'm preparing myself forna season of speculation and rumors. Hopefully this is settled well before the season starts.

azabob
03-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Ameet Bains on SEN friday

But the club is also promoting it via their own social media platforms such as twitter.

ledge
03-11-2018, 10:04 PM
The chad

We mentioned we were after him no mention if he is close to signing, Bont is also a player we already have. I don’t see any similarity at all sorry.
Two extremely diffrerent scenarios

The Pie Man
04-11-2018, 09:50 PM
But the club is also promoting it via their own social media platforms such as twitter.

Which recent history suggests isn’t a hint to a done thing.

Though given it’s about The Bont, I’m at ease

bornadog
04-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Ameet is the club and the site is reporting what he said on the SEN interview, so I don't understand your comment?

azabob
05-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Ameet is the club and the site is reporting what he said on the SEN interview, so I don't understand your comment?

Was adding further context that’s all.

I am surprised that we are grabbing that particular comment and reporting on it. That type of reporting is traditionally done by media outlets and not on the clubs platform.

The club must be very certain an announcement is very close otherwise we will have egg on our face.

Throughandthrough
19-11-2018, 09:01 PM
My mail is that there is $100k difference (per annum) in asking price and offered price. But he wants to stay at the dogs

chef
19-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Just pay it.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Just pay it.

Club can just send out a gofundme link. We will have it paid for in 30 minutes.

bornadog
19-11-2018, 11:40 PM
My mail is that there is $100k difference (per annum) in asking price and offered price. But he wants to stay at the dogs

double it

Twodogs
20-11-2018, 10:45 AM
Oh yeah!!!!!

Two more years, signed until the end of 2021.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-11-20/bontempelli-commits

Now make him the captain.

EasternWest
20-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Western.Bulldogs/photos/a.394114772486/10156745177382487/?type=3&theater

What is the opposite of the darkest timeline? Because this is it.

Ozza
20-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Relieved that he has signed....although my initial reaction was 'only 2 years....hmmmm'.

Mantis
20-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Good news, whilst a longer extension would've been great I'm comfortable knowing that we have him for at least 3 more years and if we continue the trend up he will be around for much longer.

Twodogs
20-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Relieved that he has signed....although my initial reaction was 'only 2 years....hmmmm'.

So even though he would have been a FA after this contract (end of 2019) how does Bont signing this contract effect that? Is he still a FA after 2021?

bulldogsthru&thru
20-11-2018, 10:56 AM
So even though he would have been a FA after this contract (end of 2019) how does Bont signing this contract effect that? Is he still a FA after 2021?

Yes he will be a FA at the end of 2021

Bullies
20-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Smart move by his Management. Need to make him Captain sooner than later.

Jeanette54
20-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Yes he will be a FA at the end of 2021

So glad that Marcus has re-signed with us, but sadly we will have to go through this again in three years.

Axe Man

Isn't free agency only available after 8 years service at a club? So Bont would only have had 6 years at the end of 2019 and would not have been a free agent. The 2 year extension takes him to free agency so we will be getting nervous again in a couple of years. At least he will be restricted free agent being a top earner.

chef
Would have preferred a 10 year deal, but hey he's signed. Yay.

Remi Moses
20-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Good news is that we avoid the constant B/S through the season

Twodogs
20-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Good news is that we avoid the constant B/S through the season

Yup and for the next two years as well.

mjp
20-11-2018, 11:33 AM
There is no way to describe this other than 'AMAZINGLY AWESOME'.

Everyone complaining about the short term nature of the deal...that's ANOTHER THREE YEARS. That is PERFECT. A great deal for the club and a great deal for the BONT.

Ten years, shpen years - honestly, I don't care about that. The best young player in the history of the game has just re-committed to stay until his mid-20's...an absolute COUP as the other clubs were coming (and HARD). Best thing that could have happened this week...

AshMac
20-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Good news overall, I was also expecting a longer duration (and hoping for one) but it makes a lot of sense for him. It gives us 3 years to get back into proper contention and it gives him to deserved pay packet throughout his career. We might see a big decline in long term deals for young superstars as the changing cap and increased demand for genuine premiership winners plays a role. If I look at Dustys contract, he has another 5-6 years of 1.1m for arguably the best player in the league when he signed. 1.1 will be an above average salary in his last 2 years of that contract IMO

bulldogtragic
20-11-2018, 12:09 PM
I hope others follow ‘the next captain’ and sign quickly. That kind of belief within the group about the direction they’re going together would be such a great thing to have going into the season. Skeptical Ex/members might sign on too. Good news day.

comrade
20-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Good on him for nipping all the speculation in the bud and getting the extension done now. A year of 'will he, won't he' would have been distracting.

It's up to Bont, the club and the playing group to get back into contention to ensure he stays a Bulldog for life.

Dry Rot
20-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Good news. Do we know the amount?

angelopetraglia
20-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Three more years. That's a good stretch.

2019 - Tick (Age 23)
2020 - Tick (Age 24)
2021 - Tick (Age 25)

So we get three more prime years of The Bont.

Whether we sign him beyond that is up to us. Also, contracts mean very little these days if a player and club fall out or even if a player just wants to leave (i.e. Beams, Shiel, Scully). What's more important is that we create an environment where he still loves the club and leaving is not an option.

bornadog
20-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Love the Bont

Twodogs
20-11-2018, 01:24 PM
Good news. Do we know the amount?

More than you or I will ever see in our lifetimes mate!

Sedat
20-11-2018, 01:27 PM
There is no way to describe this other than 'AMAZINGLY AWESOME'.

Everyone complaining about the short term nature of the deal...that's ANOTHER THREE YEARS. That is PERFECT. A great deal for the club and a great deal for the BONT.

Ten years, shpen years - honestly, I don't care about that. The best young player in the history of the game has just re-committed to stay until his mid-20's...an absolute COUP as the other clubs were coming (and HARD). Best thing that could have happened this week...
Yep. This is a massive signing by the club. Carlton fans weren’t complaining about Cripps extending his contract by 2 years. I’ll bet GWS would kill for a 2 year extension to the contracts of Kelly, Coniglio and Whitfield.

Eastdog
20-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Excellent news. A huge singing along with Libba. I hope both do well in 2019 in particular Libba.

whythelongface
20-11-2018, 01:50 PM
Fantastic news. This signing shows Bont's commitment to the club and that he has total faith in Bevo and the playing group that we are on an upward trajectory. A player of Bont's ability and status would have thought long and hard about this decision, particularly in light of the amount of clubs circling for his signature. The dollars thrown at him by other clubs would also be tempting - whether or not they were more lucrative then what we offered.

The fact that he has stayed loyal is a huge coup and will really provide a boost to the team for the 19-20 season. This is a much better signing then, for example, a Wingard.

SlimPickens
20-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Awesome result, also love that it happened in draft week. Any perspective draftees will be wrapped to see the Bont on their side for the next 3 years.

Topdog
20-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Brilliant, just brilliant

Eastdog
20-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Bont is just such a vital part of our team. I don’t want to think about the alternative just happy he will running around for us for the next few years.

dadsgirl16
20-11-2018, 03:11 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Mo77
20-11-2018, 03:25 PM
So glad this is done now and not dragged out and speculated about all season. I was hoping it would be signed until 2031 though.;)

Greystache
20-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Great news. He'll be coming into his peak in 3 years time and you'd think we'll look to sign him up to a career contract at that point.

I don't like using Americanisms in Australian sport but the Bont is definitely a franchise player.

Doc26
20-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Great news.
Initial thoughts were that it would’ve been great to lock Marcus away for 5 given his stature but that also carries significant risk for the Club. Having just re- listened to Clay Smith’s podcast with Bob on Freedom In A Cage he mentions that he had never had any injuries prior to doing his first ACL with us. This is fair warning of how quickly the tide can turn quickly.

EasternWest
20-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Yep. This is a massive signing by the club. Carlton fans weren’t complaining about Cripps extending his contract by 2 years. I’ll bet GWS would kill for a 2 year extension to the contracts of Kelly, Coniglio and Whitfield.

Agreed. We'd all have loved another three years on top, but this is a very satisfactory result. Couple this with his consistent language about his feelings towards the club and I'm very comfortable with the Bont situation.

This is great news for our club, and should be seen as such (not that anyone is decrying it).

jeemak
20-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Super outcome. It's now in our court as a club to lay the foundations of a long term signing to take him to the end of his career - should he earn it.

ratsmac
20-11-2018, 06:05 PM
I'm so pumped about this. I felt he was always going to re-sign with us but if he hadn't signed coming into his contract year would of been a nervous season next year.
This is huge to get him tucked away for the next 3 years.

Good stuff Bont!

josie
20-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Great news.
Initial thoughts were that it would’ve been great to lock Marcus away for 5 given his stature but that also carries significant risk for the Club. Having just re- listened to Clay Smith’s podcast with Bob on Freedom In A Cage he mentions that he had never had any injuries prior to doing his first ACL with us. This is fair warning of how quickly the tide can turn quickly.

Really good point Doc.

Fantastic news-now let’s draft some future Bonts.....

KT31
20-11-2018, 10:36 PM
Great News, NOW make him Captain already.