PDA

View Full Version : International Recruits

The Adelaide Connection
07-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Collingwood have signed another two internationals as Category B rookies (after they performed strongly at the combine).

So where are our Category B internationals? I know we had the (failed) Fiji experiment and we might not be keen to Rookie a Basketballer from the US that has never kicked a ball, but surely its worth taking a punt on an athletic Gaelic type.

Does anyone know why we haven’t dipped our toe in the water?

chef
07-11-2018, 08:41 PM
We dont have money to burn?

The Adelaide Connection
08-11-2018, 02:31 AM
We dont have money to burn?

We spent almost $26 million on our football department alone last year, I am not sure that adds up.

Category A Rookie salaries start at about $72k. I couldn’t find any information whether that is the same as Category B rookies (or whether they are generally paid more to entice them to come) but throwing $70k for a few years at a top rated Irish kid (who comes with a similar skill set to that required for AFL footy) seems like a pretty solid (and minimal) investment. At worst, you would think you get a raw but competitive extra for the VFL team.

I found the list below that was compiled by someone on Bigfooty from a few years ago. Interesting that Reuben William was Category B, does that not mean we can get him as a Category B?

Adelaide (2); Alex Keath, Hugh Greenwood
Brisbane (4); Matt Eagles, Blake Grewar, Cian Hanley, Reuben William
Carlton (2); Matt Korcheck, Ciaran Sheehan
Collingwood (2) Isiah Farrell - Wilson, Mason Cox
Essendon (1); Ben McNeice
Fremantle (0); -
Geelong (1); Mark O'Connor
Gold Coast (2); Jesse Joyce, Max Spencer
GWS (2); Jake Stein, Zac Sproule
Hawthorn (2); Connor Glass, Conor Nash
Melbourne (2); Corey Maynard, Joel Smith
North Melbourne (1); Tom Jeffries
Port Adelaide (1); Emmanuel Irra
Richmond (1); Ivan Soldo
St.Kilda (2); Ray Connellan, Daaragh Joyce
Sydney (3); Sam Fisher, Sam Murray, Colin O'Riordan
West Coast (2); Tarir Bayok, Paddy Brophy
Western Bulldogs (0); -

FrediKanoute
08-11-2018, 03:07 AM
It's a 1 in a million punt.

How many Irish Gaelic players have transitioned successfully from the Irish game to Aussie Rules - Jim Stynes, Sean Wight and Taigh Kenneally.

Yes Mason Cox played in a losing GF and had a quarter's worth of influence. How many other players though? The reality is that the dream is much better than putting it into practice and transitioning guys from one sport to another rarely works at the top level.

Honestly I would prefer we put time into identifying state league players capable of stepping up as the strike rate is likley to be way, way higher

jeemak
08-11-2018, 03:23 AM
$72k p.a. to pay the player, plus on-cost at around 45-65% to employ him (minimum), plus agent and consultancy fees alongside club governance and one player would cost upwards of $200k to start the project.

Relocation and other allowances would reach $50k.......so it's really a quarter million dollar exercise.

hujsh
08-11-2018, 01:05 PM
$72k p.a. to pay the player, plus on-cost at around 45-65% to employ him (minimum), plus agent and consultancy fees alongside club governance and one player would cost upwards of $200k to start the project. Relocation and other allowances would reach $50k.......so it's really a quarter million dollar exercise. And you have to find and actually scout the players out which means sending scouts overseas which either takes time away from them looking at Australian prospects or hiring a new scout.

The Adelaide Connection
08-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately it sounds like an excerise that the big clubs can afford to gamble on, but a club like ours probably can’t justify.

What about Category B rookies from Australia? The Crows have made out like bandits with Keith and Greenwood and a lot of the costs mentioned wouldn’t exist if you are pinching local, cross-code players or the Reuben Williams types. I know we had a stab with Tweedie and it didn’t work out, but i think it is minimal outlay and at worst you add a VFL player to your squad.

bulldogtragic
08-11-2018, 01:56 PM
Unfortunately it sounds like an excerise that the big clubs can afford to gamble on, but a club like ours probably can’t justify.

What about Category B rookies from Australia? The Crows have made out like bandits with Keith and Greenwood and a lot of the costs mentioned wouldn’t exist if you are pinching local, cross-code players or the Reuben Williams types. I know we had a stab with Tweedie and it didn’t work out, but i think it is minimal outlay and at worst you add a VFL player to your squad.

That's exactly what Cat B's have been for, ways for big clubs to stay big by essentially buying rookies with their deep pockets. It's no surprise we took Tweedie while basking in premiership related cash. But that will slowly change with the academies for all clubs. In our case, if any of our NGA prospects get through the drafts (like Tweedie did), then we can Cat B them this year and future years if we actually want them. You'd think our recruiters would know them back to front and whether it's worth the financial investment. I'd guess and say that's where we will have almost all our Cat B rookies from going ahead, after showing minimal interest in international rookies since forever and burning through cash on the dumbass Fiji 'experiment'. NGA Cat B's look like a safer bet for bean counters and more informed choice for the recruiting staff - lower risk, more likely reward.

I don't see us going at International rookies, for every Mason Cox there's a heap of other former basketballers that have not looked close to making the grade. Statistically, we'd be more likely to miss than hit with an international rookie. So with the odds stacked against them and the cost to bet so high, I look at this issue with much caution. We simply don't have the cash to make bets like this on international players.

Mofra
08-11-2018, 03:10 PM
It's a 1 in a million punt.

How many Irish Gaelic players have transitioned successfully from the Irish game to Aussie Rules - Jim Stynes, Sean Wight and Taigh Kenneally.
Plus Zach Thoey? There are others who have 'ok' careers (Setanta O'Hailpin) but certainly not "must invest $500k+ to try".

TBH if we do have to focus on non-traditional pathways there's a much bigger one that has a higher success rate. Basketball.
Granted it's more likely to be focussed towards rucks/KPPs but the innate situational awareness basketball trains is a huge advantage at AFL level. Even bonafide first round draft picks who become stars (e.g. Pendles, the Bont) credit basketball with developing important skills.