PDA

View Full Version : Best of 3 Grand Final

GVGjr
15-11-2018, 07:18 PM
Can someone please help me out with the logic of playing a best of 3 grand final series?

Surely this is a bit of American nonsense and not something that the AFL will implement?

Does anyone actually think it's a good idea?

Happy Days
15-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Can someone please help me out with the logic of playing a best of 3 grand final series?

Surely this is a bit of American nonsense and not something that the AFL will implement?

Because more is more and 3x the ad dollars is worth more than 1x the ad dollars.

What anyone thinks has nothing to do with it.

westdog54
15-11-2018, 07:30 PM

Its a horrendous idea in a high impact football code. Even the money machine that is the NFL doesn't even consider it at any stage of their playoffs.

jeemak
15-11-2018, 07:35 PM
It's also a suggestion to appease the belly aching from the non-VIC teams about Victoria centric bias.

Sedat
15-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Lame attempt to hijack column inches in the papers before the draft

Scraggers
15-11-2018, 08:18 PM
So if they were following a rugby league state of origin format, the last grand final will have had one game in Melbourne (MCG), one game in Perth (Perth Stadium) and one game at a neutral venue ??? Adelaide Oval, Metricon Stadium, SCG ????

How stupid is that?

Speak with the Eagles players, ask them where they wanted to play the grand final this year ... every single one of them would say the MCG. It is the Mecca of footy for a reason.

bulldogtragic
15-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Not actually serious right?

Did they ask David Stevenson for his next best idea after AFEL X?

EasternWest
15-11-2018, 09:26 PM
What a pox idea.

The Adelaide Connection
16-11-2018, 12:25 AM
I think this whole thing was just a stick to the hornets nest to try to stir things up and highlight the inequity of always having the GF at the MCG. I don’t think too many people actually want a three-gamer.

There was also some mighty pissed off clubs that the AFL secretly signed off on lengthening the deal to remain at the G (till about 4090) without consulting clubs and with no one (aside Eddie McGuire) aware it was happening. Whether you want the GF to stay at the MCG or not, the way it was handled and the lack of respect afforded to clubs was very poor.

Mofra
16-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Nope, Hell no.

Did I mention No?

I want the GF to be a game where the pressure is high and nothing is left in the tank.

ledge
16-11-2018, 10:26 AM
It’s just Footy reporters trying to keep themselves and the AFL in the headlines as it’s cricket and soccer season.

bornadog
16-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Nope, Hell no.

Did I mention No?

I want the GF to be a game where the pressure is high and nothing is left in the tank.

I agree. I have even changed my mind on a drawn GF. I think it should be sorted out there and then.

whythelongface
16-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Worst idea ever. No thanks.

HOSE B ROMERO
17-11-2018, 07:21 PM
urghhhh

ratsmac
18-11-2018, 09:36 AM
How about the first quarter is played in WA, the second in SA, the third in NSW and of course the last in Vic at the G. That way everyone is happy.

That suggestion is just as absurd as a best of 3 GF.

The Doctor
18-11-2018, 09:59 PM
Do we get 3 public holidays?

Eastdog
18-11-2018, 10:36 PM
A big no from me.

GVGjr
18-11-2018, 10:42 PM
West Coast have now chimed in with their support or at least saying it should be considered.

bornadog
18-11-2018, 11:44 PM
Do we get 3 public holidays?

Only in your state :D

Twodogs
19-11-2018, 01:12 AM
How about the first quarter is played in WA, the second in SA, the third in NSW and of course the last in Vic at the G. That way everyone is happy.

That suggestion is just as absurd as a best of 3 GF.

And the players have to run (and swim) from venue to venue.

Greystache
19-11-2018, 11:03 AM
I quite like this idea but I'd like to see it taken to the next level.

We could make it a mix of the football version of continuous cricket and The Amazing Race. The first final could start in Adelaide at 9am, it would run until 12, following which the players would rush to the airport to jump on a plane for the second final starting in Perth at 4pm EST, then once that's played they could jump on a plane to Melbourne to fly over for the third and final match of the day starting at 9.30pm Eastern time. The scores would be totaled up and the winner could be presented the premiership cup followed by night fireworks. Gill would also finally get his night Grand Final.

To add some additional tension and potential for unexpected twists, the players would need to arrange their own travel and organise transport to and from the airport with no assistance from other staff. If one of the teams isn't at the ground by the official starting siren then the game would still commence and the team at the ground would be free to play uncontested with all scores accrued counting towards the aggregate total for the three games.

The beauty of this is the fans who attend the games can watch the other 2 matches on the big screen at their ground and the AFL could sell advertising and offer live betting on the screen with fluctuating odds depending on which airline the team chooses, weather conditions, and whether team choose taxis or risk the surge pricing of Uber.

To me this sounds like the perfect day of drama, shocking twists, the moment that changes everything, and would be a ratings juggernaut for an entire day. The only thing I think we're potentially missing is maybe some sort of immunity challenge and the potential to bring in a 3rd team to challenge for the premiership in bid to spice things up about two thirds of the way through when people's interest starts to wane a little. Perhaps the fans at home could text in to vote for who the intruder team should be, or the AFL could go with their current approach and just lock in Essendon as the annual intruder to give them chance to play a football match beyond the first week of September and to reward them for their "incredible" recovery from a "challenging" period.

Topdog
19-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Stupoid idea so it is right up the alley of AFLX

bornadog
19-11-2018, 12:09 PM
Hocking and Gilligan should be sacked with all their stupid ideas this year.

Remi Moses
19-11-2018, 02:21 PM
Complete idiocy . Tend to see their point about home teams hosting the GF though
We still would have beaten Sydney anyway
When’s Vince McMahon replace Gilligan ?

Twodogs
20-11-2018, 10:22 AM
I quite like this idea but I'd like to see it taken to the next level.

We could make it a mix of the football version of continuous cricket and The Amazing Race. The first final could start in Adelaide at 9am, it would run until 12, following which the players would rush to the airport to jump on a plane for the second final starting in Perth at 4pm EST, then once that's played they could jump on a plane to Melbourne to fly over for the third and final match of the day starting at 9.30pm Eastern time. The scores would be totaled up and the winner could be presented the premiership cup followed by night fireworks. Gill would also finally get his night Grand Final.

To add some additional tension and potential for unexpected twists, the players would need to arrange their own travel and organise transport to and from the airport with no assistance from other staff. If one of the teams isn't at the ground by the official starting siren then the game would still commence and the team at the ground would be free to play uncontested with all scores accrued counting towards the aggregate total for the three games.

The beauty of this is the fans who attend the games can watch the other 2 matches on the big screen at their ground and the AFL could sell advertising and offer live betting on the screen with fluctuating odds depending on which airline the team chooses, weather conditions, and whether team choose taxis or risk the surge pricing of Uber.

To me this sounds like the perfect day of drama, shocking twists, the moment that changes everything, and would be a ratings juggernaut for an entire day. The only thing I think we're potentially missing is maybe some sort of immunity challenge and the potential to bring in a 3rd team to challenge for the premiership in bid to spice things up about two thirds of the way through when people's interest starts to wane a little. Perhaps the fans at home could text in to vote for who the intruder team should be, or the AFL could go with their current approach and just lock in Essendon as the annual intruder to give them chance to play a football match beyond the first week of September and to reward them for their "incredible" recovery from a "challenging" period.

Knowing us we'd kick a point with our first shot at goal and then have to wait until the other team turned up to kick the ball back into play!

westdog54
20-11-2018, 10:43 AM
Knowing us we'd kick a point with our first shot at goal and then have to wait until the other team turned up to kick the ball back into play!

This actually happened in an quarter final in Gaelic Football many years ago.

The scores were level at full time and both headed to the sheds.

Problem was, one of the teams forgot there was extra time and didn't return to the field, believing there would be a replay next week.

Only one team took the field, and duly scored a goal unopposed when extra time started.

EasternWest
20-11-2018, 10:50 AM
of continuous cricket .

Now there's something I haven't thought of for a long, long time.

angelopetraglia
20-11-2018, 12:52 PM
Can't even believe this is a discussion. It goes against the fabric of the game. No. No. No.