PDA

View Full Version : Cam Wight

Twodogs
06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I really want Cam Wight to come on this year. How good would a 202cm player with pace and a motor be?

LostDoggy
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
A huge talent! I have been on his bandwagon for years.
202cm? i thought he was 200cm

westdog54
06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I really want Cam Wight to come on this year. How good would a 202cm player with pace and a motor be?

Pretty damn good.

The beauty of Cam Wight is that his combination of size and athleticism sets him up to be an absolute nightmare match-up.

I could see him sending 15-20 minutes on a wing or a flank, just to give the oppostition coach something to think about. As he's proven in the past, he's got the motor and pace to do it.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Very good! I'm with you Twodogs. I couldn't believe the people who wanted him either delisted or traded on BF.

hujsh
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Now the only problem I've heard of him having is his turning. Do you see that as a problem for him?

Dogs 24/7
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Everything should be right for him to have a good season so in some ways its time for him to deliver on his potential.
hujsh his turning circle wont be a problem for him

Go_Dogs
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
He could be the ultimate tall utility imo. Just needs to continue to improve his decision making and disposal under pressure and taking every opportunity in front on him.

hujsh
06-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Everything should be right for him to have a good season so in some ways its time for him to deliver on his potential.
hujsh his turning circle wont be a problem for him

Good to hear. Since he beat McCarthy (i think) the cat who had just kicked 5 i've like him but he didn't come along last year like i thought would

Dancin' Douggy
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
problem is because of his height he's been used as a kpp. he'd be better off on a wing or a flank or a very handy interchange option.

FrediKanoute
06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Now the only problem I've heard of him having is his turning. Do you see that as a problem for him?

Cam's other majpr proble is that he is not a natural footballer. He doesn't instinctively feel for the ball and know where to run to receive or where to run to deliver. The size and shape of Cam are the least of his problems if he is going to make it. He needs to irradicate the "deer in the headlights" syndrome from his game.

I don't want him delisted, but I don't think he is going to be the big impact player some people think. Happy to be proven wrong and to eat humble pie though!

westdog54
08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Very good! I'm with you Twodogs. I couldn't believe the people who wanted him either delisted or traded on BF.

I half-fitted into this category.

I was of the opinion that his size, fitness and athletisicm made him an ideal candidate for high trade value. One of those ones that we don't particlarly want to lose, but could trade for to boost our stocks in other areas.

Mofra
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
He really seemed to be having a crack in our "dark" period last year. He seems to be a classic slow developer, and will be worth persisting with. Hudson is another who definately fits the mould slow developer and he will probably head our biggest on-field improvement area this year.

LostDoggy
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I've had faith in Cam improving for a while, I always kept an eye out for him at Werribee. He's been really persistent and deserves a solid season...they can't all have career best seasons but I think Cam's in good shape to have his.

LostDoggy
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
I didn't want him delisted but I can see why he was a candidate.
At the moment he done nothing and he has been on the list for a while so its make or break. If the CHF move doesn't work for him, he will be delisted.

LostDoggy
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
So there is absolutly no hope of him making something out of himself in the ruck? Gee he would be handy there. Has the height, tank, build, etc.

LostDoggy
09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
So there is absolutly no hope of him making something out of himself in the ruck? Gee he would be handy there. Has the height, tank, build, etc.

I highly doubt he could ever be an effective ruck.

PS get rid of that picture of a non bulldog player

alwaysadog
10-02-2008, 12:05 AM
We had him as being the next big thing this time last year based on very little evidence. He had had a couple of good games in 2006, but had not set the world on fire. He got some good experience early on last year and is progressing; at the moment he's being played at CHF which is a huge task. The coaching staff seem to think he'll become a good player.

Go_Dogs
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
We had him as being the next big thing this time last year based on very little evidence. He had had a couple of good games in 2006, but had not set the world on fire.

For mine, the games he played in 2006 showed me that he had the potential to make it. He had heart, determination and seemed hungry on the field, doing the hard things.

I think CHF has to be his long term position, he's got the great running ability, without having a huge body/core strength which will mean that his best weapon will be work rate, and marks on the lead. I think it suits his attributes much more than playing as a defender in the long term, so let's hope he can make some good progress again this year.

hujsh
10-02-2008, 02:00 PM
He wouldn't be easy to match up on. Those few cm with his running ability will be hard to match up on. Will he be a guy we can kick it long to but. He's not that strong so would a Matt Maguire beat him in contested battles?

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree that a mobile 200cm player who can play forward or back should just just what we need. I hope he can make it as a forward and take a few marks and provide a contest. His skill level needs to improve though.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I highly doubt he could ever be an effective ruck.

PS get rid of that picture of a non bulldog player

Ern, I took your advice...

WADAYA THINK?

The Coon Dog
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM

WADAYA THINK?

I think you're an even bigger idiot than I thought you were before, if that's at all possible! :D

hujsh
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM

WADAYA THINK?

Wow! Vick to a non dog to the most hated of tigers players. On a role

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Ban him

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Ohhh come on where is the love?

And id be making history, first person banned from this site. Quite an achievement. Something to put on your resume

hujsh
10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Ohhh come on where is the love?

And id be making history, first person banned from this site. Quite an achievement. Something to put on your resume

At least that yellow tone makes him look sick.

The Doctor
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I see there is a lot of support for Cam. I wonder if this is more to do with the fact we have for so long struggled to find decent KP players that we cling desperately onto any small glimmer of hope we see a budding KP player displays. Guys like Everitt and Williams have clearly shown that they will be good AFL KP players in a short period of time. Wight, from my observations, has not shown anything of the same calibre.

I am yet to see anything that he offers us that convinces me he will make it in the big league. In fact I've rarely seen him perform all that well even at the lower level. As much as I would like to see him become a good footballer at AFL level I just can't see where the potential lies.

Athleticism is one thing, the ability to play is another. In 5 years on the list there is still debate as to where he is best suited. Ruck, CHB & CHF are positions we have continual problems with and he hasn't been able to stake a claim on any of them. His, often discussed, light frame allows to be too easily muscled off the ball. His hands are not strong so he struggles to take a contested mark. If a delisted and aging Jeremy Dukes from Port Melbourne can thrash him what hope is there against Brown, Pavlich, Franklin et al. He doesn't seem to read the play all that well and struggles to dispose of the ball accurately or effectively.

The main thing he seems to have going for him is a long reach to spoil which can be useful on a dinosaur type player when coming over the top.

I was one of those who suggested he be up for trade as I think had we had a few more developed talls in our team he would be in trouble. I think this could well be the case at the end of this year if he hasn't shown substantial improvement. With Everitt, Williams, Grant, Boumann and Mulligan coming through the pressure would have to be well and truly on him now.

Good luck to him, I hope he proves me wrong. But I would like to see consistent strong performances, even if this is at the lower level where by now he should be ripping it up, and not just the odd good game before I'll be convinced. If he makes it I'll gladly eat my words.

GVGjr
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Fully agree. Everything however, is set for him to have a good season. He has put on some weight and size and has the right attitude but it comes down to his skill level and decision making which have never been a strength.

If he doesn't make the grade in 2008 then he probably never will.

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I see there is a lot of support for Cam. I wonder if this is more to do with the fact we have for so long struggled to find decent KP players that we cling desperately onto any small glimmer of hope we see a budding KP player displays. Guys like Everitt and Williams have clearly shown that they will be good AFL KP players in a short period of time. Wight, from my observations, has not shown anything of the same calibre.

I am yet to see anything that he offers us that convinces me he will make it in the big league. In fact I've rarely seen him perform all that well even at the lower level. As much as I would like to see him become a good footballer at AFL level I just can't see where the potential lies.

Athleticism is one thing, the ability to play is another. In 5 years on the list there is still debate as to where he is best suited. Ruck, CHB & CHF are positions we have continual problems with and he hasn't been able to stake a claim on any of them. His, often discussed, light frame allows to be too easily muscled off the ball. His hands are not strong so he struggles to take a contested mark. If a delisted and aging Jeremy Dukes from Port Melbourne can thrash him what hope is there against Brown, Pavlich, Franklin et al. He doesn't seem to read the play all that well and struggles to dispose of the ball accurately or effectively.

The main thing he seems to have going for him is a long reach to spoil which can be useful on a dinosaur type player when coming over the top.

I was one of those who suggested he be up for trade as I think had we had a few more developed talls in our team he would be in trouble. I think this could well be the case at the end of this year if he hasn't shown substantial improvement. With Everitt, Williams, Grant, Boumann and Mulligan coming through the pressure would have to be well and truly on him now.

Good luck to him, I hope he proves me wrong. But I would like to see consistent strong performances, even if this is at the lower level where by now he should be ripping it up, and not just the odd good game before I'll be convinced. If he makes it I'll gladly eat my words.

I tend to agree, Doc.

He can't ruck, period.

If he wants to be a tall defender, he is a long way behind Lake, Williams, Everitt, McDougall and Hargrave. I don't see any opportunities here for him.

His only chance is as a lead-up CHF. He's not very good overhead, but with his tank and workrate, if he can simply present to enough contests he will be able to outrun his opponents.

Twodogs
12-02-2008, 06:20 PM

It's not so much that he's tall that I really want him to succeed. Admittidly it's an extra factor in his favour.

The thing that I really like about him is he consistantly puts his head over the ball and always goes when it's his turn to go. Does it without question. I dont know if that makes him stupid or instinctivly brave but it's a huge plus in my eyes-that sort of thing just cant be taught.

bornadog
20-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Does anyone think he will get some senior games this year?

LostDoggy
21-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Gosh I hope not.

Nothing against Cam at all but unless he's improved out of sight if he gets a game it would mean that either we are beleagured with injuries or that a host of guys ahead of him have had a serious loss of form, neither of which are good scenarios in the big scheme of things.

LostDoggy
21-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I have nothing against Cam Wight but if we are to see him on the dogs list in 2010, it will be nothing short of a miracle for him and a tragedy for the club.

Before I Die
21-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I am sure he will play at least a few games and I believe he is a very important tall backup until the younger talls develop. I don't believe that all our current talls will survive on the list into 2010. However, the younger brigade have a lot of ground to make up yet on Wight and Skipper and I am absolutely sure that at least two of them (based purely on statistics) will retire/be delisted with significantly less games than the above mentioned pair.

Having said all that I would love to see Lake, Williams, Hudson and Minson each play 25 games next year and if three or more of our younger talls end up playing 200 games or more than we will be looking at a golden era.