View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: Bailey Smith

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Great selection for us, dedicated player and a smart footballer

Welcome to the Kennel

The Doctor
22-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Kind of relieved we didn't "live trade", I was worried we might miss out on Smith. A gun in the making.

Eastdog
22-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Welcome Bailey Smith!

Another Bailey to come to the Dogs! A Victorian kid as well.

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Kind of relieved we didn't "live trade", I was worried we might miss out on Smith. A gun in the making.

Yep, common sense approach. Why risk losing a quality player

LostDog
22-11-2018, 08:46 PM
Yes !!!

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Smith doesn't turn 18 until December 7th

whythelongface
22-11-2018, 08:49 PM
Fantastic. Excited about this kid.

LostDog
22-11-2018, 08:49 PM
I'm gonna say it early Jack Macrae clone

bornadog
22-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Welcome aboard

Remi Moses
22-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Reminds a bit of Cooney

Ghost Dog
22-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Watching his highlights now. 'The Dedicator'. Cooney is a good comparison with the hunched shoulders. Love what I am hearing. Welcome to the club!

Remi Moses
22-11-2018, 08:55 PM
The biggest news of the night is that Johnno’s finally realised he’s going bald
Looks good

DOG GOD
22-11-2018, 09:00 PM
Very pleased with smith.

josie
22-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Bailey Williams & Bailey Smith - midfield class. Bailey Dale speed on the wing. “Oh yeah don’t mind if I Bailey’s”. Congrats Bailey Smith - you do look good in our colours. Reckon he will play round 1.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 09:03 PM
A leader on the field, a leader off the field. Something we need after the last two years. That he's a gun is a bonus...

EasternWest
22-11-2018, 09:05 PM
Fantastic. You guys have spoken highly about this kid, so I'm very pleased to land him.

choconmientay
22-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Here is the footage. Welcome young man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gOKtCmIVw

josie
22-11-2018, 09:15 PM
Speaks well. Anyone know what time training is scheduled with new recruits? I am assuming it will be Monday.

EasternWest
22-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Here is the footage. Welcome young man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gOKtCmIVw

Bit of an awkward kicking style, but a neat kick and kicked a few low and hard too. Great vision and good at getting his arms clear.

Exciting.

anfo27
22-11-2018, 09:20 PM
Highlights remind me of a young Brad Johnson. If he is half the player of Brad he'll still be a gun.

SlimPickens
22-11-2018, 09:21 PM
Great selection! Adds genuine leg speed, work ethic and x-factor. Best of luck Bailey.

We truly do have more Baileys than an Irish pub

bornadog
22-11-2018, 09:25 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/6f304a8cd278bd2a5c63354d3e51469e/tenor.gif?itemid=10468900

bulldogtragic
22-11-2018, 09:33 PM
If Wlliams, Dale, Williams & Smith can't find a marketing sponsorship together then they and their managers aren't trying hard enough.

bornadog
22-11-2018, 09:40 PM
If Wlliams, Dale, Williams & Smith can't find a marketing sponsorship together then they and their managers aren't trying hard enough.

Add in Bailey Hunt

lemmon
22-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Very happy. Have to really like his footy smarts and his work on the spread.

I don't really buy the argument that he hasn't got as much development left in him as other players either. His ball drop and running gait are slightly awkward - two things I'm sure we'll clean up. The guy has spent a lot of time playing forward and back flank as well, the more midfield minutes he gets, the more he'll grow.

Testekill
22-11-2018, 09:55 PM
He's the high floor, lower ceiling pick where he's going to be a pretty dang good player but not at the level of the truly elite. Which is fine honestly, that was the knock on Clayton Oliver and he's a damn fine player albiet being a diving turd.

I don't think we have any players that were considered that in their draft year so it's nice to have someone that will push themselves as hard as possible as a surefire thing.

GVGjr
22-11-2018, 10:06 PM
A player who will be fully focused on being the best he can. A player who is coachable. A player who won't be easily distracted.
A player who is going to be a great midfielder and capable of playing in the back or forward lines.

I hope Morris takes him under his wing and makes his transition as easy as it can be.

Smith is going to be a great addition for us.

josie
22-11-2018, 10:19 PM
And apart from being a promising young player - young girls (and older chooks like me) will enjoy the fact Bailey is a good looking young chap. A beaming smile like Johnno and the thick blond locks. Boyd has a competitor in the dreamy hair stakes. Marketing Team has an instant replacement for Dahlhaus.

choconmientay
22-11-2018, 10:21 PM
First interview in our colours

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-11-22/new-dog-on-top-of-the-world

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Great pick - good turn of speed, tough, efficient kick

The fact that he’s such a focused young player can have a big impact on others drafted this year and others around his age

I’m a big fan of the overachiever with a great attitude- they add more than their kicks and marks etc

bornadog
22-11-2018, 10:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsmcsOaUUAAxt8F.jpg

Raw Toast
22-11-2018, 11:02 PM
Bailey Williams & Bailey Smith - midfield class. Bailey Dale speed on the wing. “Oh yeah don’t mind if I Bailey’s”. Congrats Bailey Smith - you do look good in our colours. Reckon he will play round 1.

Add in Bailey Hunt

Can't believe we cut Laura Bailey this year. Someone needs to be in the gun for this lack of foresight.

lemmon
22-11-2018, 11:18 PM
First interview in our colours

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-11-22/new-dog-on-top-of-the-world

Love the little blooper at 39 seconds 🤣🤣

Prince Imperial
22-11-2018, 11:23 PM
If only Clay hadn't had to retire we'd have the quartet with Rohan, Rourke and Bailey...

KT31
23-11-2018, 12:58 AM
Welcome to the Doggies, wrapped with this pick and what a great first interview.

ledge
23-11-2018, 01:08 AM
He even grew more confident during the interview , nervous start but settled really quickly.
Looking at him next to Easton he looks ready made build wise.
We know whatever happens in his career he won’t leave one stone unturned to be the best he can .

Go_Dogs
23-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Very happy with this pick.

AshMac
23-11-2018, 08:20 AM
I met him in person last night and he is a good size and well spoken. Above that, I’m delighted the bulldogs have made “great hair” a key criteria for our top 10 picks

EasternWest
23-11-2018, 08:27 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsmcsOaUUAAxt8F.jpg

That's too much good looking in one photo for me.

Please let this be the last time they're pictured together.

Remi Moses
23-11-2018, 09:42 AM
If the AFEL ( is that right ?) had this system in place in 1988, Chris Grant’s name would have just been called out

dukedog
23-11-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm gonna say it early Jack Macrae clone

Have to second that. Reckon his work ethic is a clear standout replica.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Have to second that. Reckon his work ethic is a clear standout replica.

I think from what I've seen he's got more dimension to his game than Macrae. He's got scoreboard ability.
In 2-3 years time we are looking like having a very well balanced midfield with multiple points of difference.

Mantis
23-11-2018, 10:35 AM
Seems like a sound selection and will add something a little different to an improving midfield.

Looking forward to watching him start what will hopefully be a successful career next year.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Pretty happy with this selection.

Adds to a midfield lacking pace, which rounds off our mids very well. Good character, dedicated - ticks all the boxes.

Greystache
23-11-2018, 10:54 AM
Seems like a good selection.

Addresses an area of need, hard worker, good attitude, and a pretty rounded player. Hope he has a long and successful career with us.

Mofra
23-11-2018, 10:58 AM
To top it off, he sounds like a Gen Z Easton Wood when he speaks.
He seems the type to compliment our midfield perfectly, like Griffen he may start with stints on the HB line.

Mofra
23-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Loved the Gilly Gowers connection and Gowers' response on Smith's Instagram too (Gowers has the best account at the club, easily. Even better than his former teammate Biggsy).

"Team dinner at Maccas tomorrow night"

S Coast Simon
23-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Great pick up. Looks a neat little player. Can’t help but picture Cooney coming out of the pack hunched over heading towards goal. Sounds like a very dedicated young lad. That will rub off on a few other people as well. Nice move Doggies.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Great pick up. Looks a neat little player. Can’t help but picture Cooney coming out of the pack hunched over heading towards goal. Sounds like a very dedicated young lad. That will rub off on a few other people as well. Nice move Doggies.
Yes I am loving the rub off prospect.
Work ethic and passion for improvement in all aspects of being an AFL player. Thats what we want as a club culture. Out with Stringer culture, in with BS culture.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-11-2018, 02:50 PM
I know it might be a stretch. But as we know, we were apparently so adamant on keeping pick 7 this year that we weren't even prepared to lose it for Wingard. Did this indicate how much we rated Bailey?

hujsh
23-11-2018, 02:56 PM
He was the guy that got mentioned that we wanted to keep it for. It's probably a fair sign yeah

Ghost Dog
24-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Rather Smith than Chad.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-11-2018, 03:13 PM
"Smith can run all day and has the ability to outwork his opponents when games are on the line late in the last quarter." Matt Balmer.
Love this characteristic. Read he practices his skills after exhausting himself running etc.So he can take advantage late in the game and get us across the line.

Dry Rot
24-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Watching Smith's highlights, his tackling really stood out to me.

He seems to not only want to stop blokes, but hurt them.

I like that.

bornadog
24-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Rated 3rd best in draft by Knightmare and best mid

kruder
24-11-2018, 06:45 PM
Does he play round 1? I probably see him more forward flank than back flank to start considering mow many back flankers we have. I reckon he will get close.

bornadog
24-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Bailey Smith has the tools to make an immediate impact at the Western Bulldogs (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/bailey-smith-has-the-tools-to-make-an-immediate-impact-at-the-western-bulldogs/news-story/eb374c82148a59e7ff98249d0600fcae)

BAILEY Smith’s parents drove him to Whitten Oval last Tuesday for an 11th-hour meeting with the Western Bulldogs.

Vic Metro’s best midfielder shook hands with captain Easton Wood, chatted to coach Luke Beveridge about his recent exams and congratulated Marcus Bontempelli on re-signing that morning. (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-star-marcus-bontempelli-has-agreed-to-a-contract-extension/news-story/7283840ce85c9060d4aae62181eb44c3)

Smith was already fond of fellow Xavier College schoolboy Billy Gowers and by the time he climbed into the car to go home, he felt like a Bulldog.

“There was sort of no going back for me,” Smith, who is still 17 and doesn’t have his driver’s licence, said.
“I really wanted to become a Dog. I was just hoping I’d be coming in to see ‘The Bont’ next week as a teammate, which I will.
“I’m so pumped and just rapt that I’m a Dog.”

The Bulldogs used their No. 7 draft pick — their earliest selection since securing Bontempelli in 2013 — on Smith.

“We were surprised he was still there,” Dogs list boss Sam Power said.
“Bailey’s just got a massive workrate. There’s not too much he does wrong, really.

“He’s got reasonable speed, elite endurance, his touch around the ball is pretty good and he’s a good kick.”

Beveridge doesn’t waste time with his top draft picks.

Josh Dunkley played in a premiership in his first season and last year’s first-rounders — Aaron Naughton and Ed Richards — combined for 39 games.

Smith is expected to add another lick of outside class next year, joining best best-and-fairest trifecta Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Bontempelli.

https://i1.wp.com/pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/content/v2/89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a?t_product=HeraldSun&t_template=s3/chronicle-tg_tlc_promo/index&td_clientDebug=false&td_device=desktop&td_loadTlcCss=true
“He’s also got flexibility, and that’s one of the elements with Bailey that really appeals,” Power said.
“Long-term he’ll become a midfielder but initially he’s got the ability to play half-forward or half-back or on the wing.”

Smith — who is likely to move in with Wood until Christmas — averaged 176 SuperCoach points from his two TAC Cup games this year.

While an Achilles injury prematurely ended his year, the dedicated midfielder declared himself fit for pre-season.

The grandson of 1943 Richmond premiership player Leo Merrett is yet to crack open a beer, likes to cram in running and weights sessions most days and carefully fuels himself to maximise “brain function” and sustained energy.

As for his specialty in the kitchen?

“Eye fillet with mash and a red wine jus,” he said.

divvydan
24-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I'd say we'll be a little cautious with him early in pre-season given his achilles injury and how hard he pushes himself. If he ramps up well over new year period, I can see him being there in rd 1.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2018, 08:00 PM
Rated 3rd best in draft by Knightmare and best mid

Also rated third best by Go_Dogs :D

Dry Rot
25-11-2018, 01:30 AM
Also rated third best by Go_Dogs :D

So after Walsh, who was 2nd best?

hujsh
25-11-2018, 03:01 AM
So after Walsh, who was 2nd best?

I bet it was probably Luko and Rankine first

merantau
25-11-2018, 08:24 AM
He has the one thing that sets some apart from others - pace off the mark. That ability to break into space is priceless. He will serve us well.

Go_Dogs
25-11-2018, 08:26 AM
I bet it was probably Luko and Rankine first

It was - here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18418-GD-s-top-20-2018-Draft)

Dry Rot
25-11-2018, 12:23 PM
It was - here (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18418-GD-s-top-20-2018-Draft)

Thanks.

Looks like we got a very good one in Smith, and a bargain to boot.

GVGjr
25-12-2018, 08:25 AM
It's a bit of a shame that Smith is still hobbled by an injury because he's certainly a player that should be in calculations for senior selection early in the season. He's the player I most want to see roll out for us next season especially since his pace and kicking skills is something we need.

I'm not sure where he will fit in for us early on given we have a bit of a logjam for mid sized forwards but eventually he should be an exciting midfielder for us.

Go_Dogs
25-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Agree - we need to progress him as quickly as possible, so it's a shame it doesn't appear as though he will be in the frame for the early rounds. Hopefully he can get into full training before pre-season ends and give himself a chance to play senior footy in the front end of the season.

Dry Rot
26-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Sportsbet has Smith at 26/1 for the Rising Star.

Anyone placed a bet?

Twodogs
26-12-2018, 11:56 PM

Anyone placed a bet?

Maybe if he played for GWS or pretty much any club other than us then you might be onto something.

Mofra
02-01-2019, 02:23 PM

Anyone placed a bet?
Injury impacted pre-season (still doing rehab for the achilles injury that killed the second half of his season). It would be a brave call.

The Adelaide Connection
02-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Injury impacted pre-season (still doing rehab for the achilles injury that killed the second half of his season). It would be a brave call.

With his Achilles, the rumours of the “won’t go interstate/medical certificate stuff”, and some of his personality quirks (especially how intense he seemingly is); am I the only one that is more than just a little worried about this selection?

GVGjr
02-01-2019, 04:58 PM
With his Achilles, the rumours of the “won’t go interstate/medical certificate stuff”, and some of his personality quirks (especially how intense he seemingly is); am I the only one that is more than just a little worried about this selection?

I'm not sure of anyone else but I think he was a very good selection. If it means playing a longer game in terms of his availability then that is okay.

Mofra
02-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Intense types tend to become fan favourites - Cross/West/M Boyd/Morris all have that intensity.
If I was an interstate club I would have been worried.

bulldogtragic
02-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Selecting the second best pure midfielder in the draft at pick 7.. I'm happy now and once his foot fully heals, I'll be even happier over the years. I'm not worried.

Go_Dogs
02-01-2019, 06:47 PM

I don't think there's any cause for concern.

He'll be fine and we should be taking a longer term view with younger players. No urgency for him to make an impact from round one.

Happy Days
02-01-2019, 09:51 PM

I think he seems like kind of a loser but not really concerned at all about him on field.

The Adelaide Connection
03-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Intense types tend to become fan favourites - Cross/West/M Boyd/Morris all have that intensity.
If I was an interstate club I would have been worried.

My concerns around his intensity are more around some of the things I have heard him say/have been reported.

It all has to be taken with a grain of salt, but I perceive him as an intense, obsessive type. This could be a real positive and just be maturity and professionalism beyond his years, but more and more we are hearing stories of players with mental health concerns metioning a lack of balance.

Hearing him talk about things like getting emotional when watching the 2017 draft (and imagining it was him) might be nothing to worry about, but coupled with everything else it still makes me take notice. It might be a stretch, but I worry about his resilience if he gets some setbacks or when he hits league and gets targeted and is no longer the best on the park.

I am hoping my concern is born from an innate worrying gene and a tendency to overanalyse. The reality is the kid is 17 and not all 17 year olds present like The Bont. I am sure if newspapers cut and pasted some of the stuff I said when I was 17 there might be some eyebrow raisers in there. I also back the club to support him and help him find balance if that is an issue. If social media is anything to go by he seems to have already gelled with some of the playing group, so that is one concern I had that is alleviated somewhat.

Time will tell, I hope you are all right that there is nothing to worry about.

FrediKanoute
03-01-2019, 07:20 PM
I worry more about his intensity/quirkiness making him an outsider in a team.

bornadog
04-01-2019, 12:11 AM
I am just worried about his achilles

MrMahatma
04-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Let’s not forget that this all makes a good story, in a time when more and more is written every draft.

dog town
05-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Knightmare posted some comments he got from a current player regarding Smith and the impression he made. Well worth a read.

Go_Dogs
05-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Knightmare posted some comments he got from a current player regarding Smith and the impression he made. Well worth a read.

Link?

dog town
05-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Link? Sorry I am near hopeless with this type of thing. It is on his phantom draft thread on bigfooty.

Not putting massive stock in the second hand words of a player but it’s good to hear some positivity. A decent counter punch to people writing him off based off a few media quotes.

chef
05-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Link?

Also for any Dogs fans wanting an update. Some inside scoop I received from one of the players mid December.

I was discussing footy/sports more generally and then go onto the subject of Bailey Smith after making the comment to him that he's the best mid in the pool. I was given a rave review on how Smith is going so far. Impressed by work ethic and attitude. Doing all the training and staying back late doing extras. As professional as he has seen and like he has never seen at that age. Also was really impressed by the size of him - strong through the legs and strong body. Looks ready to go to him.

And anyone who has followed Smith/his story shouldn't really be surprised by any of this. It's really just confirmation of what has been said already.

One player injuries permitting you can expect to see early and often in 2019 you'd imagine.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2018-afl-draft-almanac.1188131/page-142

Raw Toast
08-01-2019, 01:06 AM
Thanks Chef,

That little dive led me to this write-up (http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/23918862/afl-draft-wrap-chris-doerre-knightmare-bailey-smith) from Knightmare in the middle of 2018 which contains some nice nuggets on both Smith and West (who he had as "moving into the top-10 conversation" after the Vic Metro v Vic Country game).

The Adelaide Connection
10-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Q and A article from the AFL Players site:

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/qa-bailey-smith/

Western Bulldogs draftee Bailey Smith faced his fair share of public and media criticism in the lead-up to the 2018 AFL draft. After being taken with pick 7 and settling into his new home at the Whitten Oval, Smith spoke with AFLPlayers.com.au about his journey to the AFL, his faith and how he manages the spotlight.

How have you settled into life at the Bulldogs and during your first few weeks in the AFL system?

Yeah, it’s been really easy so far. At the Doggies I haven’t found there to be too many egos and so everyone has been really welcoming and treated me like I have been there for years already. I’ve settled in well and knew a few of the boys there already which helped but they’ve all been so welcoming.

You moved in with Easton Wood for your first couple of weeks at the club, what was that like and what insights did living with someone of his calibre give you?

It was good to see his routine and what he did every day and how he went about it. He also helped me with so much advice. He’d just mention simple things even when we were walking to get a coffee and it’s those things that I still remember too and are things that I should keep in mind. He’s so knowledgeable because he’s been playing for such a long time so I made an effort to feed off him as much as I could — from everything like cooking to how he goes about daily things.

What cooking advice did he give to you?

I’ve learnt a few new recipes off him! We made a really good chicken and mushroom risotto. That was my favourite… I absolutely loved that. We stood there stirring it for about an hour because we were cooking after training for a few of the boys. He’s also helped me with finding balance with food because I was pretty strict on my diet before that. Easton helped me understand that it’s alright to treat yourself, and he treats himself with something he enjoys every day. Just understanding that you don’t have to be so harsh on yourself all the time helps with balance and the ability to sustain your training standards.

You’ve been dreaming about playing AFL since you were young and it’s something that you’ve worked incredibly hard towards. What did it mean when your name was called?

I was holding mum’s hand as hard as I could. My dad, Nick, older brother and younger sister were with me too. I still can’t believe it. I remember thinking two or three months before the draft that going to the Bulldogs would be too good to be true. Honestly, out of every club the Doggies were in my top preferences, and I’m not just saying that because I ended up there. I remember when they called my name out and after I had been on stage I hugged Easton Wood about eight times — I couldn’t stop. It’s still all a bit of a blur because it was such a rush of excitement but I wake up every single day still so grateful and don’t take my opportunity for granted.

For someone who hasn’t played an AFL game yet the spotlight has shone brightly on you — how did you deal with that pressure and the comments coming from people you didn’t know?

It was pretty tough. I copped a flair bit of flak in the media and on comments about how I go about my business but I think the big thing for me was to learn not to read into it. Previously that was something that I had done and that didn’t help. I tried to drown out the footy talk, but in the lead-up to the draft that was really hard because I was counting down the days but I did my best to keep footy talk away from home. I surrounded myself with loved ones and people that I love being around which helped me keep my mind off it but it was still bloody hard to shut it all out when you see your mates and they mention things. It was definitely tough but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Since being drafted, how have you found that external support or pressure change? I imagine you’ve become a fan favourite of the Dogs already!

Yeah, the Bulldogs supporters have been the best. I’ve made an effort to reply to messages from supporters and people because I am just so thankful for every bit of support that I’m getting. Seriously, it’s just been too good. Even the club itself, the fans are so interested in who you are. I definitely am not taking it for granted but also I am thankful for that support.

You also have a unique connection to Nick Coffield. How did you friendship evolve throughout the year from that first text exchange?

Yeah, Coff was really good and was a constant support for me throughout the year. I think one of the big things was that he was really open and genuine in his support and I suppose our friendship grew from there. He’s been there whenever I need him, and the same goes for me to him. He’s been someone who I’ve been able to vent with because he had been through it all the year before. We caught up the day before the draft as well, which was a nice distraction. He’s been someone who I’ve not only been able to distract myself with but also feed off for advice and who I feel really comfortable around.

You found strong religious faith this year which I’ve been told you practice in some interesting ways — at what point did you turn to religion and how do you practice your faith?

I started going to mass at a young age but my family didn’t have a huge interest in it. Obviously my school did but mum and dad couldn’t really care less, same with my brother and sister. For me, it was something that I felt 45 minutes to an hour out of my day on a Sunday wasn’t really that big and so I started attending more frequently in year nine. It’s based on this belief for me that if you have strong roots, there is no reason to fear the wind. For me, going to mass on a Sunday really grounded me. It made me forget about everything for that 45-60 minutes and allowed me to focus on the present and what was happening in that moment. It gives me confidence that whatever is happening to me is happening for a reason and that someone is looking over me. I’m really big on having that faith and knowing that if I do get injured I have to look at the positives — being religious for me really ties into that. It comes back to grounding me and that’s why I go each week. Now that I’ve been drafted I don’t want anything to change about me. I still want to be that grounded person. Religion and faith for me is just something I practice. I wouldn’t call myself a really religious person but I just try and find some things that I can practice in my everyday life which help me.

You spoke briefly about being injured and how your faith assists you with coming to terms with that type of setback. How did that help during your top-age year when you missed a significant amount of football with your achilles injury?

I suppose it was not so much religion helping me there but more my family, the football club in Sandringham and my school, Xavier College. I just had to accept it and control what I could control which was my rehab. If I was lagging in one area then I would focus on another area, like my leadership, and try and take someone under my wing because I was grounded by not being able to play. I’d also try and get the leadership group together before a game to introduce some structure and really test myself in different areas that weren’t physical. I tried to support the boys as best as I could through the finals series, particularly the bottom-age players because we were bottom-age heavy, which will hopefully hold them in good stead for next season. I tried to pump them up as much as I could and fill them with confidence so they have every bit of confidence to take the kick or lay that next tackle.

From what I understand you’re very close to your paternal grandfather and the two of you share a unique relationship. What has that involved?

I love my grandpa. He has driven me to and from training ever since under-13’s. Every single training he has been there with a mug of soup, my Powerade and some biscuits and cheese for after. He just sits there watching. He’s been with me along my journey and been that constant support as well. Everything he has done has been seriously ridiculous and I’m just so grateful for him. He’s taken me everywhere and his support is so important. We’re always talking on the car ride home. I’ve driven my L’s and got my hours with him — he’s been like my second dad and helped me a lot.

I know that you grew up as a Hawks supporter, but who stands out for you as a mentor whether it be in football or life?

Gary Ablett was always my childhood superstar, I love the way he goes about it and he’s quite religious as well but really it’s any of the top performers. Tom Mitchell is one now that I tried to model myself off. Now that I’m at the Doggies, Easton Wood is a big one that I’ve tried to model myself off too. I love the Bont as well, just his balance. I’ve been surprised about how balanced all the boys are with their standards. Josh Dunkley is also someone I really admire and want to try and follow in his footsteps. Those sorts of boys have showcased to me who I want to be and I look at the way they go about their business in awe.

You implemented the ‘lollipop moments’ leadership style into your captaincy at the Sandringham Dragons last year. What did that involve and how did you display those moments?

‘Lollipop moments’ are subconscious, daily leadership moments so for me a big thing as captain was trying to learn all of the boys names and make sure that I treated everyone with the same level of respect and attention whether or not they were getting a game because sometimes it could be challenging with so many people coming in and out of our team.

You’re high training standards have been well documented but what made you implement the Navy SEAL ’40 per cent’ rule into your training and life?

It came about really early in the year. I remember in my first Vic Metro game I was absolutely cooked about halfway through the first quarter and at the start of the second because I’d been running as hard as I could and really wanted to have a crack my first real metro game. So the rule came about that whenever you feel that you’ve hit that point where you can’t do anymore you’ve actually got more in you. Having that mentality during the metro carnival, or any game I played, gave me the confidence to know that I had more in me and my ceiling wasn’t reached for that game. I knew I had more in me and I could give more to the team. It was something that gave me confidence to attack each game knowing that whatever came my way I would have something more in me to give.

By your own standards you admitted to feeling a sense of disappointment in your under-16 carnival. How did you use that disappointment to drive the rest of your football campaign towards being drafted?

I’ve always had really big expectations of myself and when I look back on my under-16’s carnival I think it would be fair to say that it probably wasn’t the best experience. We didn’t really have the big team attitude and it was a bit more individual then so I suppose heading into under-18’s I was really nervous and quite scared about how I was going to fare against the best people in the state. I couldn’t hack it back in under-16’s so I was really nervous heading into the carnival and didn’t know how I was going to go. Even after having a good bottom-age year I still thought that I didn’t really belong here as much. That was a really big thing for me to overcome and it’s a credit to the coaching staff and the Metro environment. When I look back on that experience, and I know some people see it as an individual experience, but I look back on it as a really important team, the coaching staff, the boys, everything reminded me of Sandy or Xavier which helped me get the best footy out of myself.

What does your life away from football look like?

I’ve just finished year 12 and am interested in going down a Commerce pathway and developing a broader understanding of business so I can see what I like and then focus on my strengths and become the best in that area that I can. I’m really open to where I’m going to go with that side of things.

Away from football I love hanging with my mates and my girlfriend. My two dogs and my family are my life so I love hanging with them every day.

I play a bit of golf with my Grandpa as well. My great grandpa was a professional golfer, so golf runs through the family a bit. It’s been hard to fit in so far because on my days off when the boys from the club are playing I’m normally having a four-hour nap because I’m absolutely buggered.

Thanks for the time to chat Bailey, I appreciate your honesty!

No worries, thanks so much Kavisha.

AshMac
10-01-2019, 06:33 PM
God he sounds like a dedicated and intense young man!

Loved reading that he’s learning it’s ok to treat yourself, sounds like an important lesson for him and Proof he is open to learning.

hujsh
10-01-2019, 08:59 PM
God he sounds like a dedicated and intense young man!

Loved reading that he’s learning it’s ok to treat yourself, sounds like an important lesson for him and Proof he is open to learning.

Pun not intended I assume.

Agree on the second point given there was a bit of talk about him maybe being a bit too intense. Some balance might be good for him long term

BornInDroopSt'54
12-01-2019, 01:45 PM
What an amazing young man. So considered, spiritual, incredible application, exploratory, respectful of others. Ace person. Plus he's a golfer.
All his faculties will be tested this year but he seems well endowed to thrive.

GVGjr
19-01-2019, 02:24 PM
I'm really hoping we get to see Smith in action soon and I will be interested in seeing where we will play him.
He's an impressive youngster and I'm hoping we eventually see a more skillful and quicker version of Daniel Cross.

kruder
19-01-2019, 08:30 PM
I'm really hoping we get to see Smith in action soon and I will be interested in seeing where we will play him.
He's an impressive youngster and I'm hoping we eventually see a more skillful and quicker version of Daniel Cross.

Have you heard anything from the clubs perspective on him?

GVGjr
19-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Have you heard anything from the clubs perspective on him?

No I haven't

boydogs
20-01-2019, 12:03 AM

That's quite a left field comparison, I though Smith would be more Cooney than Cross

ratsmac
20-01-2019, 01:50 AM
That's quite a left field comparison, I though Smith would be more Cooney than Cross

I think the comparison is that he is a footy addict like Crossy was. The off field stuff. He will be the first on the training track and last one off like Cross. Which is something that I have never heard people say about Coons. I get where you're coming from by comparing him with Cooney as well though with the way he plays.

GVGjr
20-01-2019, 02:13 AM

The Cross dedication with preparing for footy more than the onfield ability

Dancin' Douggy
21-01-2019, 06:00 PM
wow. a hybrid of cross and Cooney sounds pretty perfect.

As long as you get the right bits of each one.

Cross' attitude with Cooney's talent, blistering pace, skills and athletic gifts.

Not the other way round.

Axe Man
21-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Cross' attitude with Cooney's talent, blistering pace, skills and athletic gifts.

Not the other way round.

There are heaps of players with Cooney's attitude and Cross' natural talent - they are all playing local footy.

Twodogs
21-01-2019, 07:15 PM

Not the other way round.

The other way around one sounds like the knee affected Cooney in his last couple of years with us.

There are heaps of players with Cooney's attitude and Cross' natural talent - they are all playing local footy.

A few have been listed by us over the years.

GVGjr
22-01-2019, 08:26 AM
It's good to hear Smith is close to participating in full training. While it probably puts him a fair way behind for the season we are in the fortunate position of not needing to rush him.

A few games in the 2nd half of the season would be a good bonus

AshMac
25-01-2019, 06:21 PM
It's good to hear Smith is close to participating in full training. While it probably puts him a fair way behind for the season we are in the fortunate position of not needing to rush him.

A few games in the 2nd half of the season would be a good bonus

Be nice to let him ease in. I’m really keen to see him given all the right preparation before he showcases himself on the big stage.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-01-2019, 11:01 PM
We don't want a promising career to start with a chronic achilles not properly rested.

bulldogtragic
13-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Based on his first pre-season, (we were never offering this pick to Port, but say we were) would you still have us signing Wingard on 5 X $900,000 contract, or are you thinking this kid might be worth all the draft year hype and happy with what we now have?

divvydan
13-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Far too early to tell yet. He certainly had a little bit of trouble with the speed of the game in both his games so far but that will come soon enough and at that point we'll get a better idea about what he can offer the team.

azabob
13-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Far too early to tell yet. He certainly had a little bit of trouble with the speed of the game in both his games so far but that will come soon enough and at that point we'll get a better idea about what he can offer the team.

Him actually playing is an achievement in itself so early considering he had a restricted load with his Achilles injury.

Doc26
13-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Him actually playing is an achievement in itself so early considering he had a restricted load with his Achilles injury.

Great point. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that he wasn’t worth the pick used but largely it’s far too early for any assessment based on current game time.

jeemak
13-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Slightly off topic, but it might be pertinent to compare the output of Lloyd versus Wingard for the next year or two when making this assessment.

If we get strong contributions from Lloyd while Smith develops then that might make our broader post season strategy look more favourable in the context of the question.

Smith has shown himself to be a bit rushed in traffic and with his disposal, but he's also shown he can drill a ball 35-40m and hit a target lace out when given some space. If he can help our midfield spread, use his pace to get some clear air and hit a target decisively and quickly a few times a game then we're ahead of where we were last year already.

AshMac
14-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Based on his first pre-season, (we were never offering this pick to Port, but say we were) would you still have us signing Wingard on 5 X $900,000 contract, or are you thinking this kid might be worth all the draft year hype and happy with what we now have?

I think even taking Smith out of the equation - 5 x $900k a year for Wingard would have been disasterous IMO.

He is an elite talent who is a lazy downhill skier. Give the demographics of our list he’d have been more detriment than help.

Add in Smith - who I’m impressed with despite his JLT form - and wrapped the wingard deal fell through. Pretty sure it was real though.

Mofra
14-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Slightly off topic, but it might be pertinent to compare the output of Lloyd versus Wingard for the next year or two when making this assessment.

If we get strong contributions from Lloyd while Smith develops then that might make our broader post season strategy look more favourable in the context of the question.

Smith has shown himself to be a bit rushed in traffic and with his disposal, but he's also shown he can drill a ball 35-40m and hit a target lace out when given some space. If he can help our midfield spread, use his pace to get some clear air and hit a target decisively and quickly a few times a game then we're ahead of where we were last year already.
Very few players pick up the pace of the game straight away - IIRC Gilbee and Cross both took 4 years to establish themselves as best 22 players and they are two of the better players I've seen.

I thought JLT2 was promising for Smith. He seemed to get into the the game as it wore on.

I'm a big fan of what Lloyd brings. HF is a difficult position to play and he outperformed McLean who during the game was often playing a similar role.

westbulldog
14-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Smith could be a gun by the end of the year.

lemmon
14-03-2019, 12:33 PM
I thought he looked fine. Willing to throw his body in, got himself in positions to receive the footy, likes the hard stuff.

There was one beautiful kick to a leading forward in the third quarter that gave us a taste of things to come. Paddy Dow is probably a good comparison - he got pretty good reviews last year and only averaged the 14 touches.

Mofra
14-03-2019, 12:53 PM
I thought he looked fine. Willing to throw his body in, got himself in positions to receive the footy, likes the hard stuff.

There was one beautiful kick to a leading forward in the third quarter that gave us a taste of things to come. Paddy Dow is probably a good comparison - he got pretty good reviews last year and only averaged the 14 touches.
Paddy Dow took more centre bounces than any other first year mid in recent memory. Was really thrown to the wolves and not protected as much as other first year players. I suspect we treat Bailey a little better.

bornadog
14-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Smith settled in (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-14/smith-settled-in)
Bailey Smith’s new teammates have been quick to embrace the hype.

Eye-catching, ultra-professional, committed and diligent are words that have been openly thrown around when asked about the young star in media interviews this pre-season.

Plus the ‘best rig at the club’ tag.

But the AFL landscape is something that Smith, pick seven in last year’s NAB AFL Draft, is taking in his stride as he pushes for a round one debut in red, white and blue.

“It’s been really good,” Smith said of his first pre-season.

“I’m getting used to the long days training… and the exposure I’ve got so far from playing proper games has been pretty tough, it’s very fast, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it as my experience gets up.”

The 18-year-old’s taste of the elite level has been a half of football in each of the Bulldogs’ JLT Community Series matches against Gold Coast and St Kilda.

He had nine touches against the Suns, and 12 against the Saints.
“I’ve just soaked it up, I certainly haven’t taken it for granted,” Smith said.

“It’s been the best, being able to run out with some of my best mates now, and just such a good experience for me and all the other boys, trying to get that team chemistry up before round one.”

Smith acknowledges the Dogs have areas to improve ahead of the season proper, with the connection between the midfielders and forward line one area in need of fine-tuning before facing the Sydney Swans next Saturday night.

The dynamic midfielder will be hoping his name comes into calculations as senior coach Luke Beveridge’s locks in his team for round one.

“Round one’s rolled around so quickly, it feels like yesterday I first started at the club,” Smith said.

“I’m just so excited, I’ve been really looking forward to playing more and more footy.

“You get a bit sick of training over pre-season and just before the season when it rolls around, you get so excited so I’m super pumped and can’t wait.”

boydogs
15-03-2019, 11:01 PM

Wingard, Smith's pre-season hasn't gone well

hujsh
15-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Wingard, Smith's pre-season hasn't gone well

In what way has it not gone well. He's recovered from his injury and from all accounts has been doing well in training.

Doesn't look like dominating the game yet but did OK and showed some glimpses.

boydogs
16-03-2019, 01:40 AM
In what way has it not gone well. He's recovered from his injury and from all accounts has been doing well in training.

Doesn't look like dominating the game yet but did OK and showed some glimpses.

Very delayed start, some concerns his body might not be able to hold up to AFL training programs

Hopefully all good but if you're asking whether his time from the draft until now has changed any minds, you would think it would be in Wingard's favour, unless it's people feeling like he is one of ours now and not a name on a draftee list

The Pie Man
16-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Very delayed start, some concerns his body might not be able to hold up to AFL training programs

Hopefully all good but if you're asking whether his time from the draft until now has changed any minds, you would think it would be in Wingard's favour, unless it's people feeling like he is one of ours now and not a name on a draftee list

Just the achilles or other concerns?

GVGjr
16-03-2019, 08:17 AM

I wasn't that keen on getting Wingard for a few reasons but especially because that Port seemed to be insisting on 2 first round picks for the trade. 5 years at 900K is a substantial contract for a player with some challenges playing a lot of games as well
The upside was that he is a great player and a game changer

Our pick 7 last year was never in the mix so I think the trade was doomed for us anyway.

Smith should become a very good player for us, I just admire player who comes in so focused to succeed especially ones as talented as Smith is.

The Adelaide Connection
16-03-2019, 10:50 AM

The reality is we are debating the wrong thing. We were never giving up a first in the 2018 draft, we were trying to get it done with 2019 picks (and would have if the Hawks didn’t’t get involved).

We will need to see how the draft next year pans out (and wait to see what that player/s becomes) until we can judge whether Wingard or the picks was teh way to go. There’s a lot of water to go under that bridge.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2019, 01:35 PM
Was Bailey a name suggested in women's weekly about 20 years ago.....? How did it become such a popular name

Ghost Dog
16-03-2019, 01:36 PM
I think even taking Smith out of the equation - 5 x $900k a year for Wingard would have been disasterous IMO.

He is an elite talent who is a lazy downhill skier. Give the demographics of our list he’d have been more detriment than help.

Add in Smith - who I’m impressed with despite his JLT form - and wrapped the wingard deal fell through. Pretty sure it was real though.

Good points. I feel the same

Doggy
16-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Was Bailey a name suggested in women's weekly about 20 years ago.....? How did it become such a popular name

My Mrs named our dog Bailey...…..After the drink.

bornadog
16-03-2019, 02:41 PM
My Mrs named our dog Bailey...…..After the drink.

We have three Bailey's in the men's team and one in the women's team

boydogs
16-03-2019, 08:59 PM
Just the achilles or other concerns?

"Just" the achilles, but it's an injury from the 2018 season that held him back from full training until February

Hasn't really been on the park to improve in anyone's estimations since the draft

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-01-21/webb-cleared-to-return

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-15/top-dog-smith-hopes-injury-wont-hurt-chances-of-early-debut

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-01-29/aflcomau-how-are-the-draftees-faring

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-01-10/q-a-bailey-smith

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-star-marcus-bontempelli-says-top-draft-pick-bailey-smith-is-one-of-the-best-athletes-he-has-seen/news-story/7732dd54e6be242a31725113d5a6b9b5

jeemak
16-03-2019, 09:38 PM
But now that he's into full training after a full rehab program he's managed to play two senior halves in the JLT where he looked a little bit rushed in traffic, but got enough of it and did enough to suggest he's definitely on the right path.

If you wanted perfect, sure, it's not been perfect. But given we knew of his Achilles issue, drafted him anyway, and that he's shown a huge level of professionalism and is rated highly by his team mates then I'm not sure how much closer to perfect you can get.

boydogs
17-03-2019, 11:27 AM
But now that he's into full training after a full rehab program he's managed to play two senior halves in the JLT where he looked a little bit rushed in traffic, but got enough of it and did enough to suggest he's definitely on the right path.

If you wanted perfect, sure, it's not been perfect. But given we knew of his Achilles issue, drafted him anyway, and that he's shown a huge level of professionalism and is rated highly by his team mates then I'm not sure how much closer to perfect you can get.

Not knocking his attitude, but Tom Williams and Ayce Cordy probably had great attitudes as well. Maybe he's too keen and overdoes things, maybe his body can't cope with the demands. Hopefully neither!

The Adelaide Connection
17-03-2019, 12:20 PM
It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad.

This was at a time that is not dissimilar to now in terms of ladder position and results in the few preceding seasons, so the temptation to rush him straight in would have been strong. This is also a player that was arguably (although the arguments against are pretty poor) the best first year player that year.

Bailey needs to get his confidence up against seasoned adult bodies and at VFL level he will hopefully be able to dominate and get a bit of extra belief. I say give him at least two in the VFL, no matter how well we think he is doing.

hujsh
17-03-2019, 01:42 PM
Seems premature to be worrying about whether he's going to be a Tom Williams based on one injury in the U-18s.

Rocket Science
17-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Seems premature to be worrying about whether he's going to be a Tom Williams based on one injury in the U-18s.

Indeed. Fair suck of the saveloy, bloke was drafted what, four months ago?

jeemak
17-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Not knocking his attitude, but Tom Williams and Ayce Cordy probably had great attitudes as well. Maybe he's too keen and overdoes things, maybe his body can't cope with the demands. Hopefully neither!

Try to judge him on his performance to date, and not the injuries he doesn't have.

I mean he seems to have fully recovered from the injury that we drafted him with, and has built towards senior footy after starting full training in February...…….if anything we should be super impressed with the kid and doing cartwheels about how quickly he's come along.

bornadog
17-03-2019, 07:14 PM
This kid is going to be a real star for us, but needs time to develop. A few preseasons and he will be unstoppable.

AshMac
17-03-2019, 09:21 PM
It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad.

This was at a time that is not dissimilar to now in terms of ladder position and results in the few preceding seasons, so the temptation to rush him straight in would have been strong. This is also a player that was arguably (although the arguments against are pretty poor) the best first year player that year.

Bailey needs to get his confidence up against seasoned adult bodies and at VFL level he will hopefully be able to dominate and get a bit of extra belief. I say give him at least two in the VFL, no matter how well we think he is doing.

Did Bont play a few VFL games before getting a call up?

I remember bumping into BMac who told me when watching Bont at U18, he turned to dalrymple and said “I haven’t seen a kid impact a game this much since watching Gaz jnr w Bomber”

boydogs
17-03-2019, 11:24 PM
It seems like a lifetime ago (and improbable) but there is a bloke on our list called Marcus that, if memory serves me right, played at least three or four in the VFL before getting a call up to the AFL squad

Yep, unexpectedly dominated at VFL level really early and knocked the door down for promotion

Ghost Dog
17-03-2019, 11:42 PM
His body looks pretty hardened already and is said to train like a freak. I'm embarrassed to think what I was like at the same age!

The Adelaide Connection
18-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Did Bont play a few VFL games before getting a call up?

I remember bumping into BMac who told me when watching Bont at U18, he turned to dalrymple and said “I haven’t seen a kid impact a game this much since watching Gaz jnr w Bomber”

He definitely did. I just looked it up and his debut wasn’t u til round 5. The VFL fixtures often don’t line up, so he may not have played four league games in the VFL but it was at least a few (and likely some practice matches).

AshMac
18-03-2019, 08:57 AM
He definitely did. I just looked it up and his debut wasn’t u til round 5. The VFL fixtures often don’t line up, so he may not have played four league games in the VFL butt it was at least a few (and likely some practice matches).

Wow. First and last VFL games of his career no doubt.

soupman
18-03-2019, 09:57 AM
I remember watching him play in Geelong in the VFL and he looked amazing. This was before we were an amazing handballing side but Bont was great at it. I'd never seen someone so offensive with heir handballs.

He did one in the goalsquare (that we've all seen alot at AFL level now) that was from over his head along with some others that just rocketed out about 15 metres and I couldn't stop ravig about his handballing for months.

jeemak
19-03-2019, 09:10 PM
The lad is going to make his debut this week which is fantastic news. Testament to his work ethic, ability to follow advice and his talent.

Mofra
19-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Seems a very level headed kid.
He only -played halves in the JLT so will be interested to see how he runs out the games. I think the little clip Bevo gave him during that short vid shows just how hard a trainer Bailey is.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 11:17 PM
Bevo said he will be a forward/mid at this stage.

Eastdog
19-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Good luck Bailey Smith! Hope it is a great debut.

The Adelaide Connection
19-03-2019, 11:23 PM
I am headed over so am pretty pumped that I will get to see him play his first game, but I still think giving him some VFL time seemed the sensible option. I hope he proves me wrong!

FrediKanoute
20-03-2019, 12:20 AM
Play him early, send him back to Footscray after 4 to 5 games to work on deficiencies and then bring him back in to develop more. If he gets 10 games this year its a success.

bornadog
22-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Great to see Smith's Dad present him his jumper:

see here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-03-22/guernsey-presentation-bailey-smith)

AshMac
22-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Great to see Smith's Dad present him his jumper:

see here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-03-22/guernsey-presentation-bailey-smith)

Was nice, though I wondered if it was Johnno comments in the media this week that we’re rge reason he didn’t present it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-03-2019, 10:02 PM
What exactly did Johnno say, I missed that?

bornadog
22-03-2019, 11:50 PM
What exactly did Johnno say, I missed that?

Said Bevo's game plan is outdated. He based it on the JLT's. I was very disappointed in those comments.

GVGjr
22-03-2019, 11:56 PM
Said Bevo's game plan is outdated. He based it on the JLT's. I was very disappointed in those comments.

Did he elaborate on why he thought the game plan was outdated? I'm not sure why we should be disappointed in his comments though as it's just an opinion. A win against the Swans might bury his comments

bornadog
23-03-2019, 12:19 AM
Did he elaborate on why he thought the game plan was outdated? I'm not sure why we should be disappointed in his comments though as it's just an opinion. A win against the Swans might bury his comments

He did elaborate . I just think you cant assess a team based on two JLT games.

You are right win tomorrow and all the fickle people in the media will change their tune.

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 03:55 AM
He did elaborate . I just think you cant assess a team based on two JLT games.

You are right win tomorrow and all the fickle people in the media will change their tune.

That's his job in the media though and based on what you wrote he did base it on the 2 JLT games and he provided some context to it rather than being a throw away line to just grab a headline

Hard to be too critical of him in my opinion. He will either be proven to be correct or wrong

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2019, 10:54 AM
That's his job in the media though and based on what you wrote he did base it on the 2 JLT games and he provided some context to it rather than being a throw away line to just grab a headline

Hard to be too critical of him in my opinion. He will either be proven to be correct or wrong

Totally agree, I think what he said was fine.

Surely everyone who watched the JLT games must be worried bout our game plan (particularly the continued disfunction of our forward entries and forwardline).

I am hopeful it wasn’t indicative of the season we will have and am trying not to read much into it but if I was a journalist I would be voicing my concern.

Bulldog4life
23-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Keen to see Bailey play on the fast deck at Marvel. Is that break away mid we have lacked.

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Keen to see Bailey play on the fast deck at Marvel. Is that break away mid we have lacked.

Agreed, if he and JJ get going we will look a vastly quicker side

kruder
23-03-2019, 04:05 PM

Yeah and Richards.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2019, 04:21 PM

Yeah and Richards.

I'd love to see Lynch develop into that speedy forward too. Smads description of his goal just now gives us more speed and something different. Would be nice to have a change of pace off the HBF, wing, mid and forward. But devils advocate says Smith hasn't played, JJ can get tagged out, Richards is only a second year and Lynch has only played forward in one afl game. But let's hope they all develop nicely.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Bailey's current standing amongst his fellow rising star cohort:

Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Stoppage Clearances
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Effective Disposals % Per Game
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

ledge
04-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Bailey is quietly coming along learning off Libba, Macrae and the Bont, he will have 50 games before we know it and be a regular reliable, best player every week in the coming years.
I’m impressed with his disposals , how he lowers his eyes and finds targets, kids got what it takes to be a star.

bornadog
04-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Bailey's current standing amongst his fellow rising star cohort:

Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Effective Disposals % Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

Not bad considering the number of recruits in the whole AFL

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Not bad considering the number of recruits in the whole AFL

Yep. Early days, but he played against OK teams with mature opponents, was in team wins, must be feeling he's contributing. Things have started well for him. Keep it going, and he can be ignored for the rising star.

The last few years have seen our top end draftees sign extensions mid season or so. I'd be hoping to see a two year add on a bit down the track this season.

AshMac
05-04-2019, 09:05 AM
I'd love to see Lynch develop into that speedy forward too. Smads description of his goal just now gives us more speed and something different. Would be nice to have a change of pace off the HBF, wing, mid and forward. But devils advocate says Smith hasn't played, JJ can get tagged out, Richards is only a second year and Lynch has only played forward in one afl game. But let's hope they all develop nicely.

Lunch is an interesting one. Looked awesome at times, made a lot of mistakes and got caught with the ball often in his games last year. Loved how he took it in though.

It’ll be interesting to see him this year if we don’t have gaps open up with injury.

bulldogtragic
07-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Game 3:

Bailey Smith - Most Disposals 22, Most Kicks 8, Most Handballs 14, Most Marks 2, Most Tackles 6, Most Clearances 4, Most I50's 3, Most R50's 3, Highest SC 88, Highest AFL FP 85

Enough for a rising star nomination I wonder?

bornadog
07-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Game 3:

Bailey Smith - Most Disposals 22, Most Kicks 8, Most Handballs 14, Most Marks 2, Most Tackles 6, Most Clearances 4, Most I50's 3, Most R50's 3, Highest SC 88, Highest AFL FP 85

Enough for a rising star nomination I wonder?

14 dispoals coming in the first half. Getting better every week.

westdog54
07-04-2019, 06:29 PM
He's getting a lot better. His game sense is a little lacking but that's to be expected at his level.

I liked what I saw today.

GVGjr
07-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Smith found the required rempo today and he was strong in the contested work. A nice step forward in his AFL journey

divvydan
07-04-2019, 06:43 PM
Really liked his game today. Rozee has the rising star nomination locked in after his 5 goals and Walsh is next cab off the rank after that but if he keeps playing like this, he'll be nominated within a month.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-04-2019, 06:46 PM
He has learned quickly on the job and after tentative games in round 1 and 2, today he actually was someone the opposition coach would've had to put some thought into as the game progressed.
He's going to be a very good player.

jeemak
07-04-2019, 06:50 PM
The big positive from today. He's coming along really nicely and will only get better as his fitness improves. It was clear he was a touch gassed in the second half, but he kept putting himself into the action as much as he could which is a really good sign.

Remi Moses
07-04-2019, 06:51 PM
The highlight of the day

lemmon
07-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Beautiful kick of the footy. That's going to be a real weapon the more comfortable he gets

bulldogtragic
07-04-2019, 09:55 PM
After 3 games, ranked against other rising star eligible kids:

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game

AshMac
08-04-2019, 07:08 PM
After 3 games, ranked against other rising star eligible kids:

Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game

Looking like a pretty spot on pick 7 from those early stats.

He’s getting a little better each week in my opinion which is just what he should be doing.

Mofra
09-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Looking like a pretty spot on pick 7 from those early stats.

He’s getting a little better each week in my opinion which is just what he should be doing.
Looked like a senior footballer after quarter time this week. I can see why the club were so keen on him so far out.

bornadog
09-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Looked like a senior footballer after quarter time this week. I can see why the club were so keen on him so far out.

He is a strong bugger for his age.

Axe Man
09-04-2019, 05:43 PM

We also saw on the weekend why we were apparently keen on Connor Rozee. Will be interesting to see how the 2 compare in a few years time.

AshMac
09-04-2019, 07:02 PM
We also saw on the weekend why we were apparently keen on Connor Rozee. Will be interesting to see how the 2 compare in a few years time.

I would have loved to see what would have happened if Rozzee was still available for our first pick. No value in speculating I suppose, thought can’t help but think we’d have traded 7 for 10 and 15.

ledge
10-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Watched Bailey closely on Sunday , his tank and running patterns are incredible for his age.
His vision and delivery are also incredible.
Let the media rave about their favourites while Bailey just improves over the lot of them.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2019, 02:17 PM
So glad we didn't drop him. I know a number of woofers wanted this but Bevo knows what he is doing.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2019, 04:26 PM
So glad we didn't drop him. I know a number of woofers wanted this but Bevo knows what he is doing.

Bailey is tracking better than Cooney did in his first year. Gets more of the footy.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Nice first goal tonight. Has some burst speed that the list for the most part doesn't have. Looking forward to him developing.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-04-2019, 12:03 AM
He has shown enough to say he's going to be a top flight mid in years to come. Cannot fault our first round picks for this or last season.

ratsmac
13-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Nice first goal tonight. Has some burst speed that the list for the most part doesn't have. Looking forward to him developing.

Yep nice first goal. I would like to see his left foot some time soon though.

We certainly have plenty to work with with this kid. I love his turn of pace when he needs it. It's like he gets shot out of a canon. Once he feels he belongs out there he will be Cooney and Judd like out of packs.

Happy Days
13-04-2019, 01:52 PM
I was actually more impressed with his second shot at goal than the first; showed a gear I didn't know he had.

He might end up an elite mid but he certainly has that electric quality that you can't imitate.

Eastdog
13-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Loved his goal last night. Big Bulldog career coming up.

Dancin' Douggy
13-04-2019, 09:40 PM

totally agree Bulldog4life. Keep the kid in.

ledge
14-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Can’t drop him unless he is sore or exhausted, just keep playing him, he is one of those players that will just smoothly fit in. I notice he lowers his eyes and hits targets, something we lack at times, a great ball user and will get more and more touches as he learns his running patterns and the teams game plans.
He certainly has a tank and his second and third efforts would be second to none with any other 18 year old in the seniors I would think.

Topdog
15-04-2019, 02:21 PM
There is something special about him. That pick up and goal was sensational for a first year player.

Ghost Dog
15-04-2019, 08:03 PM
Those shoulders look angled to carry a massive load.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2019, 11:34 PM
The kid still hasn't got a nomination yet, has he...

Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Time On Ground %
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Stoppage Clearances
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Score Involvements
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Metres Gained
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Turnovers
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Effective Disposals % Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

Needs to lift his game.

bornadog
11-05-2019, 11:37 PM
He won't got nominated this week.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2019, 12:15 AM

It’s a meaningless award. But it’s a good yardstick group of stats on his first 8 games after we chose him at pick 6. Like Indiana Jones standing before the last knight at the end of the last crusade. We chose wisely.

I’d happily give him a juicy extension from what I’ve seen. The youngest kid laid 9 tackles in the freezing cold against men when a lot of his team mates have not even come close to laying 9 tackles at all in a game. I like he already can play ‘blue collar footy’ or ‘white collar footy’.

Mofra
12-05-2019, 12:16 AM
He still does little things that get you excited, the odd touch here or there in a pack. By god he has a high ceiling.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2019, 09:33 AM
He looks like he’ll develop into a beast of a unit too. He’s already pretty chunky.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2019, 09:54 AM
It’s a meaningless award. But it’s a good yardstick group of stats on his first 8 games after we chose him at pick 6. Like Indiana Jones standing before the last knight at the end of the last crusade. We chose wisely.

I’d happily give him a juicy extension from what I’ve seen. The youngest kid laid 9 tackles in the freezing cold against men when a lot of his team mates have not even come close to laying 9 tackles at all in a game. I like he already can play ‘blue collar footy’ or ‘white collar footy’.

Blue, White, and Red collar Footy. Boom Boom.

Twodogs
12-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Whats the point in nominating him if he's not going to win it and let's face it due to the fact that he plays for the bulldogs he isn't going to win it. If the Bont and that fellow who's name we cant remember didn't win it (Bryan something?) the year they were so much better than any other first year player in the comp then no bulldog player will ever win the Rising Star.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Leigh Montagna spoke about him this week, saying everyone is focusing on Sam Walsh, but that Smith's numbers and two way running should not be overlooked.

Happy Days
12-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Whats the point in nominating him if he's not going to win it and let's face it due to the fact that he plays for the bulldogs he isn't going to win it. If the Bont and that fellow who's name we cant remember didn't win it (Bryan something?) the year they were so much better than any other first year player in the comp then no bulldog player will ever win the Rising Star.

It's not as big a false flag as we all think. Taylor over Bont was obviously a joke but that was 5 years ago and every winner since and most before have been very much deserving.

Twodogs
12-05-2019, 01:31 PM
It's not as big a false flag as we all think. Taylor over Bont was obviously a joke but that was 5 years ago and every winner since and most before have been very much deserving.

But doesn't that fact go towards proving my point? We haven't had a player worth winning the award for the last five years so we cant arc up about the fact that none of our blokes did. But both times we had a player (Griffin, Bont) who was so obviously better than all the other eligible players but still don't win then you have to ask why? If Griff or Bont were wearing different jumpers they would have won two Rising Stars each!

hujsh
12-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Don't know you can claim Griff was clearly superior to Delidlio

boydogs
12-05-2019, 11:24 PM

Bont was clearly the better player but only played about 13 games when Taylor played them all IIRC so there was some justification for going that way with it

Griff rang rings around Deledio when they played each other but Deledio probably had the better year

Caleb Daniel got ripped off too which hasn't been mentioned yet

AshMac
14-05-2019, 08:15 PM

I have a feeling the club is managing him pretty closely from a psychological perspective. Such an intense kid I reckon they know dropping him wouldn’t be taken well, whilst having confidence his upside would emerge and he’d impact. Just a theory and delighted w the way he’s playing now

BornInDroopSt'54
14-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Bailey's body language looks good although I haven't seen the Lions game. So maybe you're right AshMac and he sees himself as ready to play in the ones barring injury. I always thought Griffin could have won a brownlow. Injury and a broken or absent heart prevented him.

ledge
14-05-2019, 10:34 PM
He will get rested at some stage I would think .
18 year old playing in the middle is asking a lot for a whole year.
Would like to see him up forward because I think his pressure is very good.

Bulldog4life
14-05-2019, 11:10 PM
In his presser Bevo said Smith played his role well...he didn't elaborate further as to what his role was.

westdog54
14-05-2019, 11:21 PM
Bont was clearly the better player but only played about 13 games when Taylor played them all IIRC so there was some justification for going that way with it

Griff rang rings around Deledio when they played each other but Deledio probably had the better year

Caleb actually had a decent player beat him though.

Bont was far, far superior to Taylor in any measure except games played.

Was also robbed of goal of the year as well.

Mofra
15-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Was also robbed of goal of the year as well.
That was the bigger rort for mine. Still one of the greatest goals in AFL history if you ask me.

craigsahibee
15-05-2019, 12:23 PM
That was the bigger rort for mine. Still one of the greatest goals in AFL history if you ask me.

Maybe the judges looked at it and said "naaaah it was only James Frawley that he was up against"

Testekill
15-05-2019, 01:14 PM
In his presser Bevo said Smith played his role well...he didn't elaborate further as to what his role was.

He picked up something like 8 tackles which is phenomenal for a kid struggling to get into a game.

Axe Man
15-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Bont 16 games v 22 Taylor.
15 goals v 12
55 tackles v 44
4 Brownlow votes v 0

Smith will get one eventually if he plays most of the year. They tend to give those deserving that haven't got one through a big performance later in the season.

jeemak
15-05-2019, 03:28 PM
Bont 16 games v 22 Taylor.
15 goals v 12
55 tackles v 44
4 Brownlow votes v 0

Smith will get one eventually if he plays most of the year. They tend to give those deserving that haven't got one through a big performance later in the season.

It was as clear a case of rigging as there's ever been. The word that the fix was in permeated through the football and betting industries so quickly and clearly.

westdog54
20-05-2019, 09:26 PM
Bailey Smith is the Round 9 Rising Star nominee.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2019, 09:28 PM
Well done young man!

bulldogtragic
20-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Updated: Smith's stats rated against all other eligible rising star players across the entire competition:

Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Handballs
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Disposals
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Clearances
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Score Involvements
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Metres Gained
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

Ghost Dog
20-05-2019, 09:42 PM
Smith is that fast. He could break lines down back. I love everything about this kid. When he doesn't have the ball he gets really involved creating options.

bornadog
20-05-2019, 09:49 PM
He will be a star

Dry Rot
21-05-2019, 12:41 AM
Bailey Smith is the Round 9 Rising Star nominee.

Excellent news. I have a pineapple on him @ 26/1 to win the award.

jeemak
21-05-2019, 04:28 AM
He's special in the way that Cooney was, and that's a big call from me because I absolutely believe that Cooney was the biggest loss to the game of all midfielders and prime movers ever.

Once his confidence grows he'll start running forward of the ball and he'll kick goals on the run in the same way Cooney and a former captain did with aplomb. The sky is the limit for this lad.

Mofra
21-05-2019, 09:56 AM
Kudos, overdue.

KT31
21-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Great stuff

Axe Man
21-05-2019, 10:40 AM
Limited pre-season, but unlimited potential for Dogs' Rising Star (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-20/limited-preseason-but-unlimited-potential-for-dogs-rising-star)

IT'S A mouth-watering prospect for Western Bulldogs fans: if teenage draftee Bailey Smith is starring on such a limited preparation, what heroics will he perform when he gets a few full pre-seasons under his belt?

The Bulldogs' first pick, at No.7 overall, in last year's NAB AFL Draft, Smith was in rehab before Christmas with an Achilles injury that sidelined him for the second half of last season and didn't join full training with the Dogs until late January.

The ultra-professional 18-year-old also figured in barely a half in both of the Dogs' JLT Community Series hitouts, but he has belied this less-than-ideal lead-in to play every game so far this season and add some freshness and running power to the Dogs' midfield.

Smith is averaging 71 per cent game time, 17 possessions (seven contested), four tackles, three inside 50s and two clearances. He is also fourth at the club in tackles and sixth in contested possessions.

He received the round nine nomination for the NAB AFL Rising Star award after being one of the Bulldogs' best players in their 44-point loss to Geelong at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday night, gathering personal-best 28 possessions (the third-most afield), including 10 contested possessions, along with five clearances.

The athletic youngster went at 89 per cent disposal efficiency – second-best for the Bulldogs – and post-match his coach Luke Beveridge credited him with getting the Dogs going again in the third quarter.

Chances are it was Beveridge who gave Smith a vote in the AFL Coaches Association award.

The respect is mutual, as becomes clear when we asked Smith to explain how he has made such significant inroads despite his lack of preparation.

"It's a credit to 'Bevo', the coaching staff and the players to instil in me the confidence and belief in myself, particularly after I didn't train as much preparation as I would have liked because I was injured over the pre-season," he told AFL.com.au.

"And for Bevo to give me time in the midfield as a first-year player is not something I take for granted.

"The midfield group have also helped my transition – they do a good job of making me feel like a valued member of our midfield.

"I'm just so grateful."

The considered Smith seemed reluctant to take any credit himself until pressed.

"I've taken every opportunity as it has come and I've just tried to run with it. At the start I was just stoked to be training and running around with my teammates and getting to know them better. I got happy about little things like that," he said.

"I haven't been over-thinking things. I've been going with the flow and trying to be like water, which just moulds to everything. Just trying to adapt to every situation and make the most of whatever hand you're dealt.

"Having a positive mindset has helped because there were times in the pre-season where I wasn't sure if I was as good as these boys. But the more I got out there the more confidence the coaches and my teammates instilled in me."

The former Xavier College student captained Sandringham Dragons in the TAC Cup (now the NAB League) under-18 competition before confirming his draft currency with a dominant NAB AFL U18 Championship in which he averaged 25 touches to claim Vic Metro's MVP award and All Australian selection.

Just as he was flying, he was grounded with the season-ending Achilles bursitis. However, he happily reports that he's now completely over the issue.

Although he attributes his recovery to the Bulldogs medicos, Smith's already renowned work ethic and meticulousness have also been key factors.

He worked so hard in his first AFL pre-season that veteran teammate Matt Suckling said Smith had already sculpted the "best rig" at the club.

The youngster also learned crucial lessons during an early stay with Dogs skipper Easton Wood, who impressed upon him the importance of finding a better life balance by easing his preparation obsession, learning to switch off and rewarding himself. He says eccentric teammate Tom Liberatore has also been a pivotal mentor in this area.

Smith and Essendon star Zach Merrett share a great-grandfather, Richmond's dual club champion and 1943 premiership wingman Leo Merrett. However, the Bulldog and the Bomber have never met. That might finally happen when the distant relations meet on the field for the first time in round 21.

By then Smith's eye-catching blond mullet might well be a few centimetres longer.

"It was a haircut I always aspired to have but going to a boys' school they're pretty strict with hair, so when I finished school I let it flow," Smith said.

He has other reasons to keep cultivating his mane of hair, given he has joined the Mullets for the Kids campaign to raises money and awareness for the Royal Children's Hospital.

"Doing it for a purpose is really rewarding," he said.

The Underdog
21-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Just watching him you can see that he has “it”. Beautiful mover, uses it well and can turn on the jets at will.

Axe Man
21-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Western Bulldogs first-round pick Bailey Smith earns AFL Rising Star nomination for 28-disposal game against Geelong
(https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/western-bulldogs-firstround-pick-bailey-smith-earns-afl-rising-star-nomination-for-28disposal-game-against-geelong/news-story/38af80014a2c41d21273a1bc8b27c8f3)
Bailey Smith has done a bit of pinching himself in his debut AFL season, but Saturday night’s game against Geelong took the cake.

As the Western Bulldogs’ young gun looked across the GMHBA surface he saw idols as well as rivals.

“I flew up to the Gold Coast to watch Gaz (Gary Ablett) train a few years ago and I got a photo of me and him. He was my favourite player growing up,” Smith said.

“My manager is Paul Connors, who also manages Tom Lynch, so we went up got to watch a closed session. I’ve still got the notes I took from their training.

“It was awesome seeing Gaz. I actually sent him the photo a couple of weeks ago on ‘Insta’ and he got back to me which was cool.”

Smith admits to the odd dose of being starstruck, but the Dogs’ teenager — the No. 7 pick in last year’s draft — put it to one side with an excellent 28-disposal game against the ladder-leaders.

It was a performance that made Smith the Round 9 Rising Star nominee.

Although he did cop some good-natured lip from Tom Stewart over his hair.

“He didn’t like my haircut too much, but I spoke to him after. He’s a good bloke,” Smith said.

“It’s all good fun, I suppose, and once you’re out there is just competitive.”

“It’s an honour to be recognised for my efforts and join some good company already nominated this year,” he said.

“It was a tough day and frustrating not to get the win, but a good growing experience for me and a couple other boys as well.”

Smith has found strong religious faith this year and attends Sunday mass in Malvern when he can.

“I read at mass every month or two so I’m on the rotation there,” he said.

“I find it’s something that keeps me grounded and freshens me up for the week and helps put things into perspective.”

lemmon
21-05-2019, 12:28 PM
He's a genuine whole-package midfielder, which is really rare.

Capable of winning the contested footy and clearances, but also has pace and a beautiful kick when he gets some space. Can't wait to watch this kid develop.

Twodogs
21-05-2019, 01:07 PM
Just watching him you can see that he has “it”. Beautiful mover, uses it well and can turn on the jets at will.

There was a game earlier in the year that had reached the moment when someone had to stand up and Bailey runs through the middle of the pack and virtually lifted the ball out of an opposition player's hands, turned on the jets and powered away from the contest. The opposition players may as well not have been there. Bailey was playing the game all by himself at that stage. There are going to be games in the future where the other 41 players will have to bring their own ball to the game if they are planning on getting a kick because Bailey Smith will be dominating the match ball.

Bulldog4life
21-05-2019, 01:10 PM
Well done Bailey. I can see why we were so keen to draft him. Now this kid is the full "package".

Mantis
21-05-2019, 02:32 PM
It’s been a very promising start to his career.. really want to see him start to use his ability to burst away from the stoppage rather than to look to handball.

His ratio of kicks to handballs is also something we need to address given he kicks the ball efficiently, 9 to 19 like it was on the weekend isn’t where we need it, but I’m sure as he becomes more comfortable he’ll get this turned around.

Looking forward to watching him develop as the season unfolds.

bulldogtragic
21-05-2019, 02:36 PM
The standard offer to good first year draftees is two years, around mid to mid/late season. Do we offer him the standard two or different? The question of offering him an extension is settled.

(Naughton only wanted the one year extension in his first year. Which was a good move by him and his manager as it happens)

FrediKanoute
21-05-2019, 04:55 PM
Well done Bailey Williams. Great start to your bulldogs career.

bornadog
21-05-2019, 05:00 PM
Well done Bailey Williams. Great start to your bulldogs career.

Bailey Smith is pretty good as well and Bailey Dale could be back this week.:D:D

bulldogtragic
21-05-2019, 05:02 PM
Bailey Smith is pretty good as well and Bailey Dale could be back this week.:D:D

One too many Baileys.

bornadog
22-05-2019, 09:28 PM
THIS KID WITH THE LONG, BLONDE MULLET IS GOING TO BE SOMETHING'
By Kavisha Di Pietro May 22, 2019

In perfect conditions at Frankston Park in 2017, a 16-year-old Bailey Smith cemented himself as a top draft prospect.

Despite being 15 months out from his draft year, Smith led his team to a 30-point victory with a NAB League career-best 44 disposals, 13 inside-50s and 10 clearances.

In a Sandringham Dragons line-up featuring AFL-listed players Will Walker and Hayden McLean and against a Western Jets opposition boasting Zak Butters, Xavier O’Halloran and Buku Khamis, recruiters turned their attention to Smith.

“It became the moment that people started noticing him and thinking, ‘yeah, this kid with the long, blonde mullet’ is going to be something,” Sandringham Dragons assistant coach Jackson Kornberg told AFLPlayers.com.au after Smith’s round 9 nomination.

Those involved with Smith through the NAB League and Xavier College football programs knew what he was capable of at the tender age of 16 but it was the first time he’d achieved such a feat on a stage where those who mattered were watching.

“Whilst that day was an enormous effort, it certainly wasn’t an anomaly,” Kornberg said.

After a disappointing under-16s national carnival by his own lofty standards, Smith set his sights on improving himself as a footballer and a leader with one goal in mind – finding himself on AFL list.

Fastidious with his training and diet, Smith left no stone unturned in achieving his ultimate dream.

“That was all he wanted to achieve and so he knew what he had to do, whether it was extra running or extra footy sessions, he had a goal in his mind and he was going to do everything in his power to achieve it,” Kornberg said.

As Smith chipped away at his craft, the accolades began to flood in – a Xavier College best and fairest in year 11, before becoming a member of the AIS-AFL Academy and captain of the Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro MVP in the 2018 National Championships.

A niggling achilles injury, which Smith had been carrying throughout the season and Vic Metro campaign, derailed his Sandringham Dragons finals campaign but a focus on his rehab and diligence in getting his body right saw him rocket into top-10 draft calculations.

Kornberg remembers watching Smith play for Xavier College against Geelong Grammar in what would be his final match of 2018.

“I was watching him run around knowing he had this niggling injury but his will to get to contests and impact was enormous,” he said.

After that day in August, Smith would not play another game of football until his JLT Community Series debut in February.

“Here’s a young guy who missed virtually an entire pre-season but stepped into an AFL team with an elite midfield and is impacting at a high-level,” Kornberg said.

Born in mid-December, Smith is two weeks off still running around in the NAB League and not a Western Bulldogs guernsey but has found a way to play his role in a midfield consisting of names such as Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter.

“While we’re at Round 9, people forget that he’s a young 18-year-old and we’re really only just starting to see the beginning of him and what he has to offer.”

Despite Smith’s star rapidly rising, Kornberg said he wasn’t one to forget his roots.

A chance text message from St Kilda player Nick Coffield ahead of last year’s National Championships saw the pair strike up a close friendship. Coffield’s influence on Smith has been so profound that he’s made a conscious effort to be that figure for this year’s crop of draft hopefuls where he can.

Smith keeps in contact with his former Dragons teammates who are now in their top-age year and attends under-16s training as an assistant when he is available.

The support network surrounding Smith consisting of his family, friends and football clubs is not lost on him, Kornberg said.

“‘Bails’ focusses on forming relationships with individuals and helping them out just as he remembers people helped him out too.”

When Kornberg thinks of Smith as a person, a quote eliciting selflessness and authentic behaviour springs to mind.

“When you reach the top, remember to send the elevator back down for others… Bailey lives and breathes that.”

“He doesn’t do things because he’s been asked or feels an obligation but rather because he genuinely wants to go back and help others.”

ratsmac
23-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Wow. That article couldn't speak any higher of young Bails. It looks to me like we have another Chris Grant/ Marcus Bontempelli type club person on our hands here with plenty of football ability to boot. This kid is special, really really special!

Mofra
23-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Wow. That article couldn't speak any higher of young Bails. It looks to me like we have another Chris Grant/ Marcus Bontempelli type club person on our hands here with plenty of football ability to boot. This kid is special, really really special!
Sign him up. Long term contract please.

comrade
23-05-2019, 11:05 AM
I was pretty concerned after his 2 JLT games because most of his kicks were scrubbers but he clearly needed some time to adjust to the speed at the higher level. Luckily, he's a quick learner and his kicking isn't an issue. As Mantis has said, he just needs to do it more which will happen with more experience and comfort to take responsibility rather than hand it off to someone else.

We need another alpha dog in the midfield to stamp his authority on games, here's hoping Baz is it.

Mofra
23-05-2019, 11:12 AM
I was pretty concerned after his 2 JLT games because most of his kicks were scrubbers but he clearly needed some time to adjust to the speed at the higher level. Luckily, he's a quick learner and his kicking isn't an issue. As Mantis has said, he just needs to do it more which will happen with more experience and comfort to take responsibility rather than hand it off to someone else.

We need another alpha dog in the midfield to stamp his authority on games, here's hoping Baz is it.
He shows a bit of mongrel and will fly the flag for teammates, amazing for a kid who was only draftable by two weeks.

bornadog
23-05-2019, 11:54 AM
At only 18 years old, he is still a baby and showing something special.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Bailey Smith has two AFEL in the horrid wet conditions. Brisbane at Ballarat and last night. He has a combined 23 tackles in the wet. FMD.

Where Bailey sits among his rising star peers:

Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Tackles
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

Ozza
30-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Was pretty happy with the piece of play when Naughton (19) Smith (18) and Schache (22) combined to goal at a pretty crucial time in the third. There is a bit to work with.

Bailey Smith only had half a preseason. The kid is a jet, and showed some real power getting the arms free in the clinches, and in making tackles stick.

ledge
30-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Bailey Smith is so underrated by the media it’s a joke as was the Bont in his first year.
For some reason the media make up their mind a player will be their pet for the year and stick with it no matter what.

bornadog
30-06-2019, 04:12 PM

Some telling stats

bulldogtragic
30-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Some telling stats

A genuine beast. Bonts won't extend as his contract runs to his free agency window as a strategy. English will apparently slow walk it into next year as a strategy. Right now, Bailey Smith is the generous contract extension news I want to read.

AshMac
30-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Bailey Smith has two AFEL in the horrid wet conditions. Brisbane at Ballarat and last night. He has a combined 23 tackles in the wet. FMD.

Where Bailey sits among his rising star peers:

Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Kicks
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 4th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
Ranked 7th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

Saw during the week, that champion data have him as the 3rd best first year player

Twodogs
30-06-2019, 10:44 PM

I used to love playing in the wet. It bought everyone back to my pace.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2019, 11:18 PM
After tonight, I'm comparing him to Dustin Martin as a player (only). Beast, don't argues, strong, quick, works hard and kicks clutch goals.

Give him an extension now. It's usual to offer a two year extension, but three is fine by me.

Vred
06-07-2019, 11:21 PM
After tonight, I'm comparing him to Dustin Martin as a player (only). Beast, don't argues, strong, quick, works hard and kicks clutch goals.

Give him an extension now. It's usual to offer a two year extension, but three is fine by me.

Sign this kid for the next 3 years - watch him develop - possible future club leader in my humble opinion

bornadog
06-07-2019, 11:24 PM
I don’t think I have seen a stronger 18 year old - love him

The Underdog
06-07-2019, 11:44 PM
I hope his church approves of gay marriage...cos I’m gonna propose...

westdog54
06-07-2019, 11:58 PM

One of his big selling points as a draftee was the level of professionalism he had, even as a junior.

It showed tonight. Still going strong when the whips were cracking.

Even though he plays for us, he'll be well and truly in Rising Star discussions come season's end.

azabob
06-07-2019, 11:59 PM
And I was concerned because of his professionalism did he have any growth left in his game...

1eyedog
07-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Seen this kids legs? Trunks.

westdog54
07-07-2019, 12:02 AM
Seen this kids legs? Trunks.

He's got decent arms too, just quietly...

ledge
07-07-2019, 02:56 AM
He's got decent arms too, just quietly...

He missed half of pre season too.
Scary what he will be after a full one, if he gets in the gym with Dale Morris we could have the hulk playing in the midfield, still can’t believe how blind the media “ experts” are.

jeemak
07-07-2019, 04:05 AM
I've never seen anyone push off players and hold onto the footy in close in their first year like this kid does. For a lad who is ripped and not big, he just possesses so much strength.

We quickly need to get into his head that being selfish is actually OK sometimes when he has a clear lane kicking forward. He could be a relatively complete player in a year or two if we coach him properly, as the hard stuff is already there.