PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs - Ben Cavarra

bornadog
23-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Western Bulldogs pick Ben Cavarra — the most wonderful story of AFL persistence (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2018-western-bulldogs-pick-ben-cavarra-the-most-wonderful-story-of-afl-persistence/news-story/883fa17760371eb11476482017776d0f)

This is the most wonderful story of football persistence from the 2018 AFL draft.
During his draft year, Ferntree Gully product Ben Cavarra was frequently told he was too short, too slow and too inaccurate by foot to make it AFL level.

But Cavarra never gave up on his AFL dream — and that dedication was rewarded on Friday afternoon when the Western Bulldogs gave him the opportunity of a lifetime.

The Bulldogs selected 22-year-old Cavarra with Pick 45 in the national draft after not just an excellent 2018 VFL campaign with Williamstown, but years of consistently high performances at both TAC Cup and VFL level.

In his draft year in 2013, Cavarra ran out of things to achieve.

He finished in a four-way tie for the Morrish Medal, the award that recognises the best player in the TAC Cup for the year. He represented his state in the AFL Under 18 National Championships and he won his second consecutive club best and fairest medal, after taking out the award as a bottom-aged player in 2012.

Cavarra was also captain of the Eastern Ranges — and he guided the club to a TAC Cup premiership. Oh, and by the way, he was named best player on the ground in that grand final.

Yet he was overlooked by every club at the 2013 drafts.
But instead of getting bitter, Cavarra got better at VFL level.

He linked up with Frankston for three seasons, playing almost every game and being named in the best players in over half of his games.

When the Dolphins folded, Williamstown pounced and signed Cavarra and turned him into one of the best small forwards in the VFL. In his two seasons with the Seagulls, he booted 66 goals from 40 games and won back-to-back Team of the Year selections.

Five years after originally being overlooked — and being on the fringe of a rookie selection in every year since — the Dogs have given Cavarra a chance.

He’s the perfect example for any AFL hopeful to never give up on your dream.

Murphy'sLore
23-11-2018, 03:01 PM
Shows an excellent attitude, I love the players who have really had to fight for their chance.

Ferntree Gully boy too :)

EasternWest
23-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Shows an excellent attitude, I love the players who have really had to fight for their chance.

Ferntree Gully boy too :)

Good things come from the deep East.

Mofra
23-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Certainly fills a list need

Ghost Dog
23-11-2018, 04:06 PM
Absolutely love the look of Ben, and the vision I've seen so far.
Follows in the path of Matty Boyd, Dale Morris and Liam Picken. I think we know exactly what we will get from this bloke.

Greystache
23-11-2018, 05:16 PM
Ben Cavarra (Williamstown/VFL) 2.89 for 20m

That is lightning quick!

The Adelaide Connection
23-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Ben Cavarra (Williamstown/VFL) 2.89 for 20m

That is lightning quick!

That would be the #1 time for the Draft Combine this year and 2nd fastest last year behind Petruccelle (2.87).

I think the fact that Stephenson ran 2.95 really underlines how fast that is!

hujsh
23-11-2018, 05:33 PM
A desperately in demand attribute. Let's hope he/us can actually utilise it.

Greystache
23-11-2018, 05:41 PM
That would be the #1 time for the Draft Combine this year and 2nd fastest last year behind Petruccelle (2.87).

I think the fact that Stephenson ran 2.95 really underlines how fast that is!

And he came 8th in the yo-yo test. A player with his proven footballing ability at all levels he's encountered plus that athletic profile has to be a decent chance of becoming a quality AFL player.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2018, 06:33 PM
Our Paul Puopolo.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2018, 06:48 AM
Finally we have drafted a small forward with genuine pace. Oh, and he knows how to kick a goal.

Happy with this. Great age profile for our list too

Doc26
24-11-2018, 11:31 AM
If you didn’t manage to listen to Ben’s chat with Sam McClure on SEN last night please do yourself a favour.
It was one of the better interviews I’ve heard on sports radio.

Ben Cavarra Post Draft Interview (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=306120)

BornInDroopSt'54
24-11-2018, 11:56 AM
If you didn’t manage to listen to Ben’s chat with Sam McClure on SEN last night please do yourself a favour.

Ben Cavarra Post Draft Interview (https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=306120)

Oustanding interview, very articulate. Seemingly against the odds he didn't get drafted in 2013 but persisted by adding to his skill set as a mid by developing forward craft, including forward pressure and efficiency. Has teaching quals but footy first.
Knows what he must do now: work his arse off and love it.

Doc26
24-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Oustanding interview, very articulate. Seemingly against the odds he didn't get drafted in 2013 but persisted by adding to his skill set as a mid by developing forward craft, including forward pressure and efficiency. Has teaching quals but footy first.
Knows what he must do now: work his arse off and love it.

With so much negativity and privileged behaviour spoken about, Ben could not have articulated better the essence of what the draft period means, and moreso what this game means for us outside the fluff and noise.

For me, this ~13 minutes should be bottled and opened whenever we’re looking for some inspiration, or for those connected more closely to the game, simply needing a reminder of the privilege that it brings.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Great insight Doc and a metaphor for life.

GVGjr
24-11-2018, 02:50 PM

He's a very self aware player who has never accepted that he wouldn't or couldn't make it. He's not going to take this opportunity for granted and piss away his chance to make this a career for himself over the next few years.

Given how we've seen players drop their intensity in the last 2 years it's highly refreshing to hear someone so grateful for a chance and knowing now that he's in he will go his hardest.

Seems to be a common theme with players we've selected. A hunger to succeed, a thirst to do their best and as important as anything else all of them bringing in a skill set or trait that's needed within the playing list.

I'm not sure if this is a non negotiable by Austin, Power (I've been looking for a reason to link those names) the list management team or Bevo for that matter but I want players coming into the club where you feel confident that they will work hard every day and it's very likely we've done that this year.

I'd encourage everyone to have a listen to a well grounded and professional player who's just arrived at our club.
Thanks Doc for posting the link.

hujsh
24-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Anyone finding on the clubs site that Cavarra's highlights aren't playing? Every other video works fine for me.

Hotdog60
24-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Do we see him getting games early?
Seasoned body and he will have a chance to impress with the pre season stuff.

GVGjr
24-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Anyone finding on the clubs site that Cavarra's highlights aren't playing? Every other video works fine for me.

Same here

Testekill
24-11-2018, 03:42 PM

Don't think it's working for anyone but it's probably his TAC highlights that we posted on twitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvOOhm4Hznk

This is probably the most relevant highlights package though

Dry Rot
24-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Do we see him getting games early?
Seasoned body and he will have a chance to impress with the pre season stuff.

I reckon he's a good chance. I'm strangely most excited about this recruit.

So our forward line will be Schache, Boyd, Gowers, Loyd, Wallis and one of Cavarra, Dickson or Picken?

macca
24-11-2018, 06:32 PM
With so much negativity and privileged behaviour spoken about, Ben could not have articulated better the essence of what the draft period means, and moreso what this game means for us outside the fluff and noise.

For me, this ~13 minutes should be bottled and opened whenever we’re looking for some inspiration, or for those connected more closely to the game, simply needing a reminder of the privilege that it brings.

Well done to Ben . An inspiration story of persistence and growth . Small foward with good goal sense and he has some attributes like agility and speed which are elite. In that age group of 22 year+ where we need them to come through and start cementing games

Good pickup and I hope he can smash it and play a heap of games in 2019.

Uncanny or just sheer serendipitous every time I see williamstown on footy his name always comes up on the highlights . I hope it’s meant to be !

Power comments on players coming through our develoPment program is a good sign and reward for all those involved

Eastdog
25-11-2018, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Ben!

Ozza
26-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Fantastic interview with Sam Maclure.
Sounds like a great person. Would be stoked to see him do really well.

Twodogs
26-11-2018, 07:54 PM
I reckon he's a good chance. I'm strangely most excited about this recruit.

So our forward line will be Schache, Boyd, Gowers, Loyd, Wallis and one of Cavarra, Dickson or Picken?

He's your sort of player DR. He's as hard as a cat's head.

AndrewP6
26-11-2018, 10:26 PM
He is a family friend of a work mate. Good guy from what I'm told.

whythelongface
27-11-2018, 04:48 PM
What a great interview. What a well rounded young man. We really have gone down the path of finding young men who have a desire to succeed. The no DH policy.

Bulldog Revolution
28-11-2018, 10:59 PM
He's a guy like Gowers who may from the start fill a key role in our developing forward line

GVGjr
26-12-2018, 07:34 AM
I wonder how many senior games Cavarra can play for us in 2019? I like the fact that we have identified a positional need and were able to find someone who is also a quality addition to the playing list. After being overlooked for so long Cavarra will have no lack of motivation to succeed. He's going to have a lot of competition for a senior spot but i just have a feeling that he will be given some chances early on.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-12-2018, 01:07 PM
If Cavarra gets his chance he is likely to seize the moment and give his best. It would be great to see a professional effort with a few opportunistic goals with
a dynamic presence at the fall of the ball. Hopefully the others honour his efforts to create space.

Hotdog60
27-12-2018, 01:34 PM
I guess he becomes our Puopolo.

GVGjr
27-12-2018, 02:14 PM
If Cavarra gets his chance he is likely to seize the moment and give his best. It would be great to see a professional effort with a few opportunistic goals with a dynamic presence at the fall of the ball. Hopefully the others honour his efforts to create space.

Excellent points. Hopefully he makes the most of any chances he gets. A couple of crumbing goals and a lot of forward pressure would ideal for us.

westbulldog
27-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Can he get down to the G and bowl a few leggies ? India will be 2/2000 soon.

Mofra
15-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Any update on how he's going? A fair bit of focus on the guys who are killing it (Bont, Dunkley & Crozier with Schache and Bailey Dale looking stronger and Bailey Smith impressing) but not much on our other recruits.

Vandermier seems to be fitting in well going by social media.

GVGjr
15-01-2019, 12:36 PM
It's a good question Mofra, he's one of the players I'd like to track his progress. I'm going to try and get to a training session this week so I will keep an eye out for him

Cyberdoggie
15-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Perhaps they don't want to talk him up too much, I think he is fitting in well and might surprise a few this year.

merantau
15-01-2019, 08:44 PM
I feel confident Ben is going to be a good player for us. He's very hungry and wise beyond his years as a result of the journey he's been on.

bornadog
15-01-2019, 11:33 PM
I think he may start off in the VFL and then try and prove himself and make his way to the seniors.

bornadog
16-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Still a lot more work to go: Cavarra (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/836427/still-a-lot-more-work-to-go-cavarra)

Ben Cavarra had to wait 483 days before making his AFL debut in the opening round against Collingwood this season.

Taken as a mature-age recruit with pick 45 in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, the former Williamstown VFL small forward arrived at the Kennel after being overlooked in five drafts.

With an injury-interrupted 2019, Cavarra says his first game was recognition of all the work he’s had to put in behind the scenes.

“Reflecting on the game, and thinking about the years I spent working hard to get to that moment – it’s something I’m pretty proud of,’’ the 24-year-old said.

“I just wanted to be reliable and predictable for my teammates through playing my role.

“If I could look at myself in the mirror at the end of the game and know I was the best teammate I could be, and that I played my role for the team, I’d be very happy.

“There’s still a lot more work to go, and a lot more games that I want to play for this footy club.”

Cavarra brushed off the nerves to convert for his first career goal with his first kick, crediting the coaching staff for their assistance.

“I’d done enough practice at training, and worked with ‘Gia’ (Daniel Giansiracusa) and Ash Hansen about my goalkicking, so all (I had to do) was just go back and do the routine that I always do,” he said.

“After that, the result takes care of itself.”

The Bulldogs’ first to fourth year players will return to training for a two-week block from Monday December 7, while all other players will resume training on Wednesday January 6, 2021.

Axe Man
16-11-2020, 06:17 PM
Surely the club wouldn't publish this article if he was about to be delisted? I assume this means he gets another year.

bornadog
16-11-2020, 06:19 PM
Surely the club wouldn't publish this article if he was about to be delisted? I assume this means he gets another year.

That is what I thought as well.

The Underdog
16-11-2020, 06:22 PM

It’d be Collingwood level stupidity if they did. Looks like we can count Cav in for 2021.

GVGjr
16-11-2020, 06:38 PM
You would have to back it in

josie
16-11-2020, 06:58 PM
Yay (presuming this means we keep him on list) - I am so happy for Ben!!

I have his badge proudly displayed on one of my scarves. I think he still has a lot of offer at senior level and at vfl (for our young players) too.

Go Benny!!

azabob
16-11-2020, 07:52 PM
I don’t know. Still 50/50 I reckon.

Our media team and Footy operations team are not exactly aligned.

FrediKanoute
16-11-2020, 11:59 PM
I would keep Cavarra and delist Lloyd if it came to a choice between the two.

Vred
17-11-2020, 08:39 AM
I would keep Cavarra and delist Lloyd if it came to a choice between the two.

Same. I think Cavarra can become what we need with some AFL games pumped into him, Lloyd on the other hand looks cooked.