PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Senior Bulldogs - Will Hayes

bornadog
23-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Persistence pays off, and now he gets his chance to show us he can make it.

Mofra
23-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Good luck to Hayes. Would be a great story if he makes it. Picken-like.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 06:01 PM
You can feel the hunger of Hayes & Cavarra already. No more complacency about being selected in the 22, work hard or enjoy playing VFL.

josie
23-11-2018, 09:47 PM
From what I have seen Will seldom fumbles, quick thinker and is a reasonable kick and kind of glides across the ground. Go Hayes-beat the rest by a country mile!! And remember to wear your RWB silks. I think he might do better than quite a few think.

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-11-2018, 10:31 PM
A reward for hard work. Has been the stand out player in our VFL team over the past 2-3 seasons

Scraggers
24-11-2018, 11:53 AM
The son of horse trainer David Hayes.

Twodogs
24-11-2018, 02:25 PM
And now his brother has been invited down to Footscray (don't remember his name but he's had a couple of years playing vfl for Footscray) to see if he can reignite the passion to get in a senior AFL list.

Another set if brothers at the sibling club!

BornInDroopSt'54
24-11-2018, 02:43 PM
And now his brother has been invited down to Footscray (don't remember his name but he's had a couple of years playing vfl for Footscray) to see if he can reignite the passion to get in a senior AFL list.

Twins aren't they? Yep, JD Hayes

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Twins aren't they? Yep, JD Hayes

Correct.

bulldogtragic
25-11-2018, 10:57 PM
On the flip side of this story, our VFL team has seen Hannan, Long, Gowers & now Hayes taken into an AFL set up in the last few years. That's a great advertisement and selling point for guys with afl ambitions to join Footscray VFL.

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 11:21 PM
On the flip side of this story, our VFL team has seen Hannan, Long, Gowers & now Hayes taken into an AFL set up in the last few years. That's a great advertisement and selling point for guys with afl ambitions to join Footscray VFL.

The tall skinny centre half back that was rookied by st Kilda but only lasted a year or two there as well. I can't remember his name.

Eastdog
25-11-2018, 11:56 PM
Good luck Will. Hopefully he becomes a good contributor at AFL level.

FrediKanoute
26-11-2018, 07:51 AM

What it shows is how hard it is to successfully run a senior only team in the AFL. You just dont get to see guys like this up close.

Testekill
26-11-2018, 02:16 PM
The tall skinny centre half back that was rookied by st Kilda but only lasted a year or two there as well. I can't remember his name.

Nick Coughlan; it's a shame because I really liked what he gave Footscray and thought he was a player. Of course I was more worried that GWS would just go dibs since he was from the Riverina and all.

Twodogs
26-11-2018, 06:54 PM
Nick Coughlan; it's a shame because I really liked what he gave Footscray and thought he was a player. Of course I was more worried that GWS would just go dibs since he was from the Riverina and all.

Yeah he was a good player.

BulldogBelle
27-11-2018, 07:02 PM

I have probably seen most of the matches that Will Hayes has played since he came to Footscray.

Will Hayes has steadily improved over the years. He was good from when we first played him.

Will Hayes seems to be better than the average footballer in all relevant skills. Kicking, Marking, Balking, Handpassing, Running Bounce etc. He gets plenty of the ball and goes in hard. Doesn't seem to make mistakes or stuff things up. It seemed to be obvious half-way through this year that Hayes had impressed enough to get AFL drafted. I remember yelling out to him at the end of a game when the players were walking up the race - 'AFL for you next year Will!' And he smiled.

It is great that we drafted him. You would think that with scheduled AFL training we might even see improvement in him. Will has not shown exceptional brilliance - but it may come.

By the time that season 2019 is on the way, where Will fits into our exceptionally gifted list of midfielders is uncertain. He is definitely better than Porter, Roarke Smith, Webb, Greene and Lin Jong. Maybe better or on a par with Lipinski but below Wallis. Whether or not he can outperform the others and get himself a regular spot in the senior 18 remains to be seen.

I think that Will has willpower and Will will will himself to do better.

J D Hayes is Will's twin brother but Will was always the better of the two. I don't know why we would want JD Hayes back at Footscray. Maybe he has improved too.

Twodogs
27-11-2018, 08:25 PM

Love your work James C. Beautiful stuff!

Five wills in one sentence is willy, willy good!

The Doctor
27-11-2018, 09:14 PM

nice

Mofra
28-11-2018, 09:49 AM
J D Hayes is Will's twin brother but Will was always the better of the two. I don't know why we would want JD Hayes back at Footscray. Maybe he has improved too.
I've been impressed by Hayes at Footscray, albeit I've sen far less games than you have. Not sure he's a candidate for an AFL list but is very good at VFL level.

Axe Man
04-12-2018, 12:36 PM
3am alarms and life at Sha Tin: New Western Bulldogs recruit Will Hayes has travelled far and wide for this chance (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/3am-alarms-and-life-at-sha-tin-new-western-bulldogs-recruit-will-hayes-has-travelled-far-and-wide-for-this-chance/news-story/a3ff28cfb668bc69fa7dfca4381ec3ce)

Long before the Western Bulldogs read out his name with the final pick in last Friday’s National Draft, Will Hayes’ alarm would blast just after 3am most mornings, barely four hours after he had tucked himself into bed.
The 23-year-old would make his way to the racecourse in the wee hours of the morning to ride horses for his family business, before heading to training at Footscray later in the day.

That was the life inside one of Australia’s most celebrated racing families.

His father is champion trainer David Hayes who has won everything from the Melbourne Cup to the Cox Plate to the Golden Slipper and everything in between, and his grandfather, Colin Hayes, is one of only three trainers to hold legend status in the Australian Racing Hall of Fame.

While his older brother Ben and his twin JD are heavily involved in the family business at Lindsay Park Racing, Hayes put that area of his life on the backburner last week when the Dogs scooped up Footscray’s reigning best and fairest winner with Pick 78.

“Racing has been a massive part of my life, because between my grandfather and my father, there is a bit of racing expertise. I’ve got a very keen interest in horse racing; it is my second passion to footy,” Hayes told foxsports.com.au this week.

“I’m lucky, life after footy is definitely in the horse racing industry in training. If everything goes to plan, my footy career is 10 years long and my training career is 40 to 50 years long,

“While I was in the VFL I did a lot of hands on work with the horses, riding out with the horses four mornings a week.

“Ten past three the alarm would go off, so I was having hectic days where I was training here until 9:30 and be in bed by 10:45 if everything was streamlined.

“Once you’re on the horse it is awesome, it doesn’t feel like a job because it is a second hobby. I absolutely loved it, once you got used to the sleep deprivation.”

Unlike most players who turned up at AFL clubs this week, Hayes didn’t start playing football until he was 11.

He spent the first decade of his life living in a corner of the iconic Sha Tin racecourse where his old man trained horses in Hong Kong, a world away from football mad Melbourne.

“My early memories of footy are playing kick to kick with dad in a Hong Kong playground. I knew there was a game attached to it, but that’s how I saw footy at the time,” he recalled.

“At Sha Tin, we used to live about 150 metres past the winning post. Me and my brother JD and a South African jockey called Chad Schofield used to climb up a tree and watch the horses run past — that was about as close as we could get to the races because you’re not allowed inside the track under 18.

“I grew up playing soccer and rugby in Hong Kong, pretty much from six weeks old to 10 years I was over there. And then as soon as we got back, dad signed me and my brother up at the Glen Iris Gladiators. I’ve fallen in love with footy ever since.”

One of the first people who made contact with him when he went from Footscray’s list to the Western Bulldogs’ late last Friday was close friend and Essendon vice-captain Zach Merrett, who he played in a premiership with at Melbourne Grammar School in 2013, along with six others who landed on AFL lists after the team’s unbeaten season.

“Me and Zach were best mates at school. He was a boarder at Melbourne Grammar and we became really close through the Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup program,” he said.

“He didn’t have a car so I used to drive him to training, drive him home, and because it used to be too late for boarders dinners he used to just eat dinner at my place. I think if we had a countback, he’s probably eaten more hot dinners at my place than I have over the years.

“He has always been a close mate so it has been awesome to watch his success. Hopefully everything goes to plan and I get to play on him this year.”

The midfielder knows almost everyone involved with the program at the Whitten Oval and won’t have to look far to find inspiration next season.

Before Billy Gowers kicked the most goals for Luke Beveridge’s team in 2018, he was in Hayes’ shoes this time last year, 12 months after the pair became tight playing together in the VFL.

And he isn’t the only mature-age success story Hayes is trying to emulate.

“I think Kane Lambert is the best case study to look at. If I can emulate the success he has had I would be very happy with my career,” he said.

“He is a similar height, similar age to when I got picked up, so he is probably the one that shows me that it can be done. I’m looking forward to being the example for kids to come as well.”

Hayes may have more time on his side than he used to, but you get the sense he is about to make the most of his time at the kennel.

Axe Man
30-01-2019, 04:01 PM
Western Bulldogs midfielder Will Hayes glad he chose footy (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/afl-2019-western-bulldogs-midfielder-will-hayes-glad-he-chose-footy/news-story/43c332c342cf0fba3d0392ba8de5aef5)

It’s horses for courses, and Will Hayes is thankful he stuck with football over horse training.

A year after he was on the brink of turning to a career in horse racing, Hayes is in the formative stages of what he hopes will be a decade-long AFL career.

The 23-year-old considered shelving his AFL dream after 2017, certain he had done everything possible to impress recruiters during his four seasons with Footscray’s VFL team.

With his father, David, one of the country’s top horse trainers, the next step in his career appeared obvious.

“Quite a few times over the years,” Hayes said when asked if he lost hope of graduating to the elite level.

“I thought a few years ago I’d showed everything I had.

“At the end of 2017, I...sat down with dad and said I wanted to go more into racing and just play local footy for Euroa.

“Him and mum (Prue) were probably the ones who talked me into giving it another go, just saying I was only young and that I’d never forgive myself if I don’t give it one more crack.”

The Malvern resident followed his parents’ advice despite his passion for racing.

What followed was a career-best season — he led the Dogs for average disposals (26 per game) and contested possessions (10), and also ranked second in the competition for uncontested possessions and third for inside-50s.

The gun midfielder was crowned Footscray’s best and fairest winner and named in the VFL team of the year before the ultimate reward came when he was snapped up by the Western Bulldogs with pick No. 78 in November’s AFL National Draft.

Hayes put his eye-catching season down to more opportunity in the middle, owing to the AFL club’s lengthy injury list.

“It’s never what you want to see, an unhealthy AFL list,” he said.

“But given all the boys not playing, I had the opportunity to step up and I felt like I was able to do that.”

Hayes worked tirelessly on his ability to win the ball on the inside to complement his skills on a wing.

“I felt like that was probably a string to my bow that I added that recruiters in previous years sort of had a cross next to my name — and it became a tick,” he said.

“It was a good opportunity to grow my game on the inside. I got a lot of time as an onballer, which I loved. Definitely part of my game I want to keep growing.”

Hayes is targeting a berth in the senior line-up in 2019 but he is acutely aware it will not be easily earned.

“We’ve got so many good midfielders. It’s going to be really tough,” he said.

Continuing at Whitten Oval means his worst-case scenario is lacing up his boots next to several familiar faces in the VFL when not needed for AFL duties.

Hayes was a state league player for five seasons and a member of the Dogs’ 2014 and 2016 premiership sides.

He said forward Billy Gowers, who was in the VFL squad before being promoted to the Western Bulldogs’ senior list, provided a “source of inspiration” after he nailed 26 goals from 20 games in 2018.

“It makes you feel like it’s possible for us VFL players that have proven form at state league level to make the jump. It definitely instils confidence in us,” Hayes said.

Hayes said it was a “dream come true” to be in the AFL system, adding there is plenty of time to pursue his interest in horses in coming years.

“It doesn’t feel like I’m going to work every day. It just feels like I’m living out a dream,” he said.

“The way I see it, if everything goes to plan my footy career is going to be 10 years long. And the very best scenario is my racing career is going to be 40 years long.

“I’ve got a lot of time for racing.”

hujsh
13-03-2019, 09:03 PM
So do we think Hayes is going to do a Gowers and get picked to everyone's disbelief in round 1?

Will he also prove most of us wrong, do the double Gowers and cement himself in the best 22?

bulldogtragic
13-03-2019, 09:14 PM
I think 5-8 games if injuries present opportunities. Gowers is a very good mark, and very good at getting a Joseph The Goose. Hayes hasn't demonstrated one elite AFEL trait to me just yet. We know his VFL form will be very good, so I don't think he's far off the mark with injuries or a mass drop of form among similar players.

bornadog
13-03-2019, 09:14 PM
I can’t see him picked for round 1 at this stage. Needs to prove a lot more for mine.

Doc26
14-03-2019, 12:27 AM
So do we think Hayes is going to do a Gowers and get picked to everyone's disbelief in round 1?

Will he also prove most of us wrong, do the double Gowers and cement himself in the best 22?

With only a small sample of playing time with the main squad he should be given more time before being written off. With that said, he doesn’t seem to have any major weapons to hurt the opposition unless he can become a role player e.g tagger type. I don’t see him as a starting 22 at this time.

Mofra
14-03-2019, 09:53 AM
With only a small sample of playing time with the main squad he should be given more time before being written off. With that said, he doesn’t seem to have any major weapons to hurt the opposition unless he can become a role player e.g tagger type. I don’t see him as a starting 22 at this time.
Yep, useful footsoldier who would have gotten games last year during our injury crisis but I have real concerns over his kicking. It was far below what he produces at VFL level and some very good VFL players struggle to make the step up (e.g. Webb).

westbulldog
14-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Looks to be good at VFL level but short of AFL.

Eastdog
14-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Looks to be good at VFL level but short of AFL.

VFL to AFL a big step up. Can take time. For some it’s a good transition but for others not so well. Mitch Honeychurch comes to mind who was quite good at VFL but not so at AFL level.

comrade
14-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Won’t stamp his papers after 2 JLT games, but he hasn’t done anything to alleviate the concerns I had when we drafted him.

Axe Man
03-04-2019, 12:45 PM
I caught a bit of Open Mike on Fox Footy last night with Will and his parents.

Link here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/open-mike/full-show/open-mike-020419!724812) is anybody is interested.

bornadog
18-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Good Luck on your debt Haysie

Twodogs
18-04-2019, 07:48 PM
You deserve it more than most Will. I hope you have a great career.

josie
18-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Congrats Will!! If you bring form like your vfl you will do well.

Eastdog
19-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Good luck Will Hayes!

Bulldog4life
20-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Well done Will. Be interesting to see where he plays.

Remi Moses
21-04-2019, 12:58 PM
Go well young man

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Closest to the pin: How many times will his father, David Hayes, get mentioned today?

I say 18.

Edit, so far: 4

bornadog
21-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Good debut even though a few mistakes

kruder
21-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Another player that handballs more than he kicks it, how many vanilla players do we have on our list? Hayes may well be AFL standard but should not be on our list. Harsh but true.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2019, 07:23 PM
I’m not a fan but he wasn’t the worst.

Still don’t see why he’s in the side - a player with great limitations by foot, one paced and slight. Not exactly a type we’re crying out for

comrade
21-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Did some ok things, but butchered the ball a few times and that handball back into traffic in defensive 50....yikes.

Just another battler in a team full of them.

Sedat
23-04-2019, 01:44 AM
Sure he made a few errors, but for a first gamer he provided a lot more two-way gut-running than some of our other outside mids did, in particular our reigning B&F who phoned it in because he actually had run-with opponents for the first time ever.

The handball error in D50 was a shocker but at least he was down back helping his defenders, which is more than can be said for most of our mids on the day.

Bulldog4life
23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
Definitely not the worse by any stretch. Could even be squeezed into our best 6 on the day. A hard day for him when the rest of the mids are not up to it.

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 11:30 AM
In a game where we only scored six goals we gifted the opposition at least three goals from terrible school boy errors. Two of these were from first gamer in Hayes and Young.

Hayes wasn't our worst. But I have no idea how he is selected ahead of the likes of Lipinksi.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 02:00 PM
What's happened to Will Hayes this year? I was told he came back from the break after round 1 in top condition but I don't even think he has had a chance to sit alongside of Jordan Sweet on the emergency list so far this year
A spot hasn't even opened up with Hunter missing a large chunk of the season.

We put 9 games of development into him last year and nothing so far this year

I can't figure out why he doesn't appear to be in the mix

1eyedog
03-08-2020, 02:02 PM
He's really not AFL quality. He just crumbles under any sort of pressure. I haven't missed him tbh.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 02:06 PM
He's really not AFL quality. He just crumbles under any sort of pressure. I haven't missed him tbh.

The I guess the question to ask is why did the penny drop to the match committee now instead of last year?

The Pie Man
03-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Maybe conditions aren't suiting him? Some of the games have turned into real slogs

(haven't really enjoyed the spectacle of a heap of dropped marks in greasy dew @ Metricon)

Bulldog Joe
03-08-2020, 02:18 PM
He certainly contributed to our late season wins.

I would have thought he should have had some sort of look in by now.

Unfortunately with the lack of visibility and scarce reports on scratch matches we have no idea what is happening.

comrade
03-08-2020, 03:15 PM
He's been sucked into the same black hole as Lewis Young, Fergus Greene, Josh Schache, Brad Lynch, Ben Cavarra and co.

Sedat
03-08-2020, 04:50 PM
He's been sucked into the same black hole as Lewis Young, Fergus Greene, Josh Schache, Brad Lynch, Ben Cavarra and co.
Rightly or wrongly, I suspect there has been a line drawn through the bulk of these players with reduced lists expected this year, and the club doesn't see any value at all in giving these players any meaningful senior game time. I disagree with that sentiment for some of these players

Bulldog Joe
03-08-2020, 04:53 PM
Rightly or wrongly, I suspect there has been a line drawn through the bulk of these players with reduced lists expected this year, and the club doesn't see any value at all in giving these players any meaningful senior game time. I disagree with that sentiment for some of these players

We only need to look at the emergence of Joel Hamling in 2016, to see evidence that players can turn it around if an opportunity is presented.

Mofra
03-08-2020, 04:58 PM
We only need to look at the emergence of Joel Hamling in 2016, to see evidence that players can turn it around if an opportunity is presented.
True - but for every Joel Hamling, there are seven Jarrad Boumann's

1eyedog
03-08-2020, 05:22 PM
The I guess the question to ask is why did the penny drop to the match committee now instead of last year?

I feel they gave him an extended run at it last year.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 06:23 PM

I think you're around the mark and it's been a bug bear of mine for years that we don't go hard enough with our list management cuts at the end of the year and then effectively rule lines through players early on in the next season.

Given we are right into the compressed component of the season we should have an open mind on selections and be prepared to play the right players. If they don't perform, move them aside.

It's frustrating to me that we played Hayes last year before he was ready for what 5 successive games and he of course performed below expectations and then brought him back later in the year when his form supported that selection and where he performed better than OK and now he appears to be on the outer again.

It's a bit of a lotto trying to work out our selections process.

bornadog
03-08-2020, 06:37 PM
It's a bit of a lotto trying to work out our selections process.

It is when you don't know what is going on. At least when the VFL was playing we could see the form of players.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 07:28 PM
It is when you don't know what is going on. At least when the VFL was playing we could see the form of players.

I'm not sure that made any difference at all, plenty of players have been promoted into the seniors without VFL form to support it
Hayes in the first part of last year a clear example of that
I'm not convinced that form is a prime reason for inclusion into the side at the moment

bornadog
03-08-2020, 07:42 PM
I'm not convinced that form is a prime reason for inclusion into the side at the moment

This is a professional sport and I am not sure what you mean by this statement. What other reason could there be?

All players have a role to play and if they don't follow the coaches instructions and don't fulfill the role, then they don't get selected.

GVGjr
03-08-2020, 07:49 PM
This is a professional sport and I am not sure what you mean by this statement. What other reason could there be?

All players have a role to play and if they don't follow the coaches instructions and don't fulfill the role, then they don't get selected.

So if form is the be all, why is Bruce playing each week regardless?
I think we are overthinking selections, when we got our act together from a selections perspective last year we were a vastly better side

Vred
04-08-2020, 08:49 AM
He certainly contributed to our late season wins.

I would have thought he should have had some sort of look in by now.

Unfortunately with the lack of visibility and scarce reports on scratch matches we have no idea what is happening.

I think people tend to forget just how good Hayes was during our run late last year. Go jump on Al's highlights channel and watch some of our games form the end of 2019, Hayes plays a great part in a lot of that. No idea why he hasn't been given a chance this year, but what do we have to lose at this point? I'd almost drop JJ for Hayes at this point, have Hayes play the same position off half-back, we know he has the tank for it.

DOG GOD
04-08-2020, 09:22 PM
As long as Bevo is in charge with the current MC regime, we as supporters will NEVER understand the team selections we have seen in recent years. It’s almost at the point of “whoever shouldn’t be picked, gets picked”.

Our game plan just doesn’t make sense with the players selected. We seem to want to bomb it into fwd 50, yet only have 1 tall up there etc etc. The fact that LEW Young has not been seen in a compromised season is beyond me, when sub par players like Gardner, LA Young and R.Smith are.

Remi Moses
04-08-2020, 09:31 PM
Yep , some of the selections are baffling