PDA

View Full Version : You do that Buku

hujsh
23-11-2018, 08:43 PM
Couldn't find his welcome thread so gave him one with a bit more flavour.

The reason I was looking for it was to ask the question of if there's a player Khamis can be compared to in the AFL. He's not quite the athlete like Wood and apparently gets by more on smarts so would a Harley/Maxwell type be more apt as a comparison?

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2018, 09:24 PM
...that you do so well.
Dunno but welcome Buku Khamis.

Testekill
23-11-2018, 10:19 PM
It's interesting that he didn't even get a look in for the main draft; he was an All Australian after all and he isn't a raw athletic prospect that you'd usually get with late adapters.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-11-2018, 10:27 PM
It's interesting that he didn't even get a look in for the main draft; he was an All Australian after all and he isn't a raw athletic prospect that you'd usually get with late adapters.

Its a fair point you make.
I know MJP has expressed a view that AA may not be as important as a true indicator of AFL talent.
I'd be keen to know why it's not viewed more highly amongst recruiters.
Is the process for selection flawed or just that its limited because its a reflection of performance in a short competition as opposed to reflective of a larger sample size of games.

kruder
24-11-2018, 09:54 PM
There was a post on Bigfooty stating that he is going to be promoted to Cat A since we have a spot left hence he can play next year. I hope so I really like the kids skillset, I think he becomes a best 22 player.

Go_Dogs
25-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Buku and Young-Young (not sure if that one will stick...) both address a need we had for that medium defender who is good in the air and capable of playing on all types of forwards. If we project forward a few years, they should compliment the key defenders in Naughty and Lewis Young, the dour stopper in Cordy, and our running defenders who could include JJ, Williams, Richards, Lynch and Vandermeer.

Eastdog
25-11-2018, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the Dogs Buku!

Mantis
26-11-2018, 09:48 AM
Welcome Buku.

Can imagine his first day goes something like:

Rohan Smith - ‘Buku, you know this guy (Dale Morris). You do as he does and says until he is no longer here.. Good luck’

Mofra
26-11-2018, 10:51 AM
The reason I was looking for it was to ask the question of if there's a player Khamis can be compared to in the AFL. He's not quite the athlete like Wood and apparently gets by more on smarts so would a Harley/Maxwell type be more apt as a comparison?
I've only seen a couple of games but I would think Wood/Adams style interceptor in the back half.
He led the champs for intercept marks and at 189cm is that hybrid type defender. He's a complete free kick as a cat B rookie and I would have though any bid in the main draft after 30 we would have matched.

merantau
08-12-2018, 05:33 AM
Welcome Buku. Hope you have a long and successful career with us. Go Dogs!

Vred
08-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Welcome Baku, looking forward to seeing you develop with the Doggies.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-12-2018, 03:06 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mCvHwgTbZOU

kruder
13-12-2018, 09:45 PM
He is now officially a CAT A rookie so is eligible for selection from round 1. Good luck Buku!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-13/bulldogs-fans-in-line-for-an-early-christmas-present

Mofra
14-12-2018, 09:52 AM
He is now officially a CAT A rookie so is eligible for selection from round 1. Good luck Buku!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-13/bulldogs-fans-in-line-for-an-early-christmas-present
Buku aside, I suspect signing Dunkley up at the start of the season will be cheaper than the end of it. he was a beast for the last month or so of 2018 and if he puts a full season like that together he'd be heavily rewarded.

Hopefully Bukes gets handcuffed to Moz for the pre-season, first year players always get a senior mentor.

Axe Man
14-12-2018, 10:30 AM
After passing on their last pick in the rookie draft, the Dogs then added Next Generation Academy prospect Buku Khamis as a Category B selection.

With the Dogs planning on matching a bid for his services in the NAB AFL Draft and leaving a list spot open, Khamis effectively cost them nothing in the draft.

However, the Dogs then upgraded Khamis to a Category A rookie, filling the final spot on their list.

The move allows the Western Jets product to be eligible for round one selection as Category B rookies require promotion to the senior list in order to play AFL.

Really strange decision from the club. I can't see Buku being in line for round 1 and would be surprised if he played seniors at all next year. Even if he did earn a spot at some stage through the season surely we will have a long term injured player that would allow a promotion for Buku. Why we didn't take an extra category A rookie we may never know...

hujsh
14-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Really strange decision from the club. I can't see Buku being in line for round 1 and would be surprised if he played seniors at all next year. Even if he did earn a spot at some stage through the season surely we will have a long term injured player that would allow a promotion for Buku. Why we didn't take an extra category A rookie we may never know...

Could it be as simple as showing a bit of confidence/faith in a kid expected to be on the top 40 but was instead passed by every club?

soupman
14-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Could it be as simple as showing a bit of confidence/faith in a kid expected to be on the top 40 but was instead passed by every club?

Isn't drafting him enough "showing a bit of faith".

This is the only decision this off season i am somewhat displeased with. We are basically giving up a free hit at finding another player on the off chance Khamis deserves to be in the side but we have no one injured for long enough. More than anything else list spots are our most valuable asset, the more of them we can find the better off we are. Giving one up for no realistic gain makes no sense. It isn't as if we are struggling to afford rookies as in the past.

Mofra
14-12-2018, 11:20 AM

This is the only decision this off season i am somewhat displeased with. We are basically giving up a free hit at finding another player on the off chance Khamis deserves to be in the side but we have no one injured for long enough. More than anything else list spots are our most valuable asset, the more of them we can find the better off we are. Giving one up for no realistic gain makes no sense. It isn't as if we are struggling to afford rookies as in the past.
Unless we made a commitment to him as long as he 'works on his deficiencies' and don't want to financially disadvantage him as a Cat B after he followed our instructions?

hujsh
14-12-2018, 12:22 PM

Not if he's a Cat B Rookie. It's him or nothing as a Cat B.

That and Mofra's points above are the best explanations I can think of and I think they both feel very much like Beveridge moves to me.

soupman
14-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Not if he's a Cat B Rookie. It's him or nothing as a Cat B.

Equally it's a list spot or not for him. If we don't pick him up there is a chance that he doesn't get to become a full time AFL player. The CBA makes no differential between the wages of a cat A or B rookie as far as I can tell from a brief glance, so he isn't missing out on salary. The only thing he is missing out on as a cat B is the opportunity to play immediately if no one else is injured. So no real benefit to him, especially not in his first season, considering how raw he is.

That and Mofra's points above are the best explanations I can think of and I think they both feel very much like Beveridge moves to me.

Yep. Beveridge does have a history of gut feel type decisions, but surely if you are Power you override that and take the free extra hit at finding a talent.

I just think this is a missed opportunity. People can argue it's just our last rookie pick we are giving up but that could be Picken, Johannisen or Morris, and the cost of taking that punt is virtually nil.

bornadog
14-12-2018, 03:53 PM
I just think this is a missed opportunity. People can argue it's just our last rookie pick we are giving up but that could be Picken, Johannisen or Morris, and the cost of taking that punt is virtually nil.

How is it a missed opportunity? We could have picked up another Cat B? Buku is an AA under 18 player with lot's of talent and many on this board thought he may be drafted as a senior player.

bulldogtragic
14-12-2018, 04:05 PM
How is it a missed opportunity? We could have picked up another Cat B? Buku is an AA under 18 player with lot's of talent and many on this board thought he may be drafted as a senior player.

I think soup is saying we could’ve picked up another rookie as a free hit for another extra young talent. Then next year maybe delist Roarke Smith, and elevate him then into a Cat A spot or senior spot. With our ‘bad luck’ Buku could’ve been elevated anyway. I can see the merits in that. It’s not a horrible outcome, but getting him Cat B was a huge get. There’s presumably a good reason. Either Bevo wants this, or maybe Bains doesn’t want the extra salary of an extra rookie. I wonder if this is going to set a precedent going ahead.

Axe Man
14-12-2018, 04:05 PM

We could have picked another category A rookie. We will never know how that player would have turned out. Might have only been a 5% chance of being a player, but it would have been a chance. In a climate where clubs are looking for the smallest advantage over their rivals, running with a smaller list than almost every other club is clearly a potential disadvantage.

bornadog
14-12-2018, 05:10 PM
We could have picked another category A rookie. We will never know how that player would have turned out. Might have only been a 5% chance of being a player, but it would have been a chance. In a climate where clubs are looking for the smallest advantage over their rivals, running with a smaller list than almost every other club is clearly a potential disadvantage.

My point is there is no missed opportunity.

Axe Man
14-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Of course we will never know but clearly there is a potential missed opportunity. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

hujsh
14-12-2018, 05:46 PM

We could have picked a Cat A and left Buku as a Cat B.

I can't see any argument that there's no opportunity cost in not taking another rookie even if you think it's the right decision to make Buku a Cat A

soupman
14-12-2018, 06:47 PM

As stated above there clearly is.

It isn't a scenario where we arr picking between Khamis or someone else.

It's a scenario where we are choosing between Khamis or Khamis and another player. I am baffled why we would pick the first option.

Dry Rot
14-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Unclear whether Webb plays this year, so we may have another spot.

Go_Dogs
15-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Can we put Webb on the LTIL and pick up another rookie?

bulldogtragic
15-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Sam Power told our very own Choco that we were not recruiting anyone else (or words to that effect - see I think it was the events thread). So if he's told Choco the truth, we are not doing anything else up to and including anything with Webb.

Twodogs
15-12-2018, 12:41 PM

Maybe if we were Carlton.

GVGjr
15-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Sam Power told our very own Choco that we were not recruiting anyone else (or words to that effect - see I think it was the events thread). So if he's told Choco the truth, we are not doing anything else up to and including anything with Webb.

I think it was that we were full up for spots. I'm not sure if that changes if Webb moves to a LTI player but I doubt it

bulldogtragic
15-12-2018, 03:13 PM
I think it was that we were full up for spots. I'm not sure if that changes if Webb moves to a LTI player but I doubt it

I assume if we were doing anything with Webb it'd be before all list lodgements. I'm not sure why for two months there's been discussion about his future despite nothing coming out from him, his manager or the club. Maybe the club is just standing by him in his time of need.

Eastdog
15-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Got his signature today. Wished him good luck for the year ahead.

S Coast Simon
20-12-2018, 07:22 PM
This guy is the one I would like to do really well. He has got a hell of a leap on him. If he plays like his highlights package he could be anything. Good luck young man I hope you do well

Eastdog
23-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Buku’s autograph on one of my Doggies caps:

https://i.postimg.cc/y3CBCLv8/9713096-A-D424-47-BD-9378-534156-C99212.jpg (https://postimg.cc/y3CBCLv8)

bulldogtragic
23-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Good for you Eastie. A nice early Christmas present.

Eastdog
23-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Good for you Eastie. A nice early Christmas present.

Yeah got that at the family day last week at Whitten Oval. Was good to get JJ’s as well as he was in the same booth with Buku.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Thanks for your five years and commitment to your development Buku. Hopefully you land on your feet at another AFEL club next year. I had big hopes but wish you nothing but the best for your future young man.

bornadog
29-06-2023, 09:39 PM
Thanks for your five years and commitment to your development Buku. Hopefully you land on your feet at another AFEL club next year. I had big hopes but wish you nothing but the best for your future young man.

He has been out of form and doesn't deserve a senior spot

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 09:40 PM

Where would you play him BT. I'd have him ahead of Hannan.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 09:43 PM
He has been out of form and doesn't deserve a senior spot

I?m simply wishing him well. From the heart.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 09:46 PM
Where would you play him BT. I'd have him ahead of Hannan.

He can’t get a game in any position. Back or forward is irrelevant. Hannan has had one good game for our club and JOD averages 5 touches a game. Khamis isn’t part of our plans. So we should just accept it and I really hope he gets a shot elsewhere next year. I loved him from his TAC days and really hope he gets a shot elsewhere next year.

ReLoad
30-06-2023, 07:35 AM
Just a gut feel (not backed up by stats) but I feel like if he had been given a run (say like Arty) we would see a different side to him, I’m a big fan and I feel like he’s been a bit hard done by in regards to selections.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2023, 09:13 AM
Just a gut feel (not backed up by stats) but I feel like if he had been given a run (say like Arty) we would see a different side to him, I’m a big fan and I feel like he’s been a bit hard done by in regards to selections.

i am probably not on the Buku train.

I see a guy who plays tall but isn't tall enough to be a KPD and doesn't show any traits to compete at ground level. He shows no pace and also seems to be not an endurance runner.

He marks the ball well but doesn't read the play well enough to utilise that skill enough as an interceptor.

In reality his best form has been as a marking forward, who can kick goals, but where does he sit in that space.

As a second ruck, his lack of height detracts despite having a good leap and both Lobb and Darcy will get picked ahead of him if/when they are fit.

As a tall forward he sits comfortably behind Jamarra, Naughton, Darcy and even Josh Bruce. He doesn't have the running capacity to fill in roles that Hannan gets chances at.

Buku just lacks the tools to really make it in the modern game.

Grantysghost
30-06-2023, 09:46 AM
i am probably not on the Buku train.

I see a guy who plays tall but isn't tall enough to be a KPD and doesn't show any traits to compete at ground level. He shows no pace and also seems to be not an endurance runner.

He marks the ball well but doesn't read the play well enough to utilise that skill enough as an interceptor.

In reality his best form has been as a marking forward, who can kick goals, but where does he sit in that space.

As a second ruck, his lack of height detracts despite having a good leap and both Lobb and Darcy will get picked ahead of him if/when they are fit.

As a tall forward he sits comfortably behind Jamarra, Naughton, Darcy and even Josh Bruce. He doesn't have the running capacity to fill in roles that Hannan gets chances at.

Buku just lacks the tools to really make it in the modern game.

Yes I concur completely.

He looks nice ball in hand, however without it he's miles off.
Great story and I really like him however vfl is his ceiling.

bornadog
30-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Yes I concur completely.

He looks nice ball in hand, however without it he's miles off.
Great story and I really like him however vfl is his ceiling.

Form in the VFL has not been brilliant either.

mjp
30-06-2023, 10:40 AM
Form in the VFL has not been brilliant either.

This is where some of the inconsistencies in our selections are played out though mate. When players who HAVEN'T been in great form are selected (as seems to routinely happen) it causes confusion. I'm sure the coaches would say "Player X knows exactly where he's at" but I would doubt what they are saying to their coaches and their families are the same thing.

Hannan being selected after kicking 5-goals a couple of weeks back is a great example of how it should work and be SEEN to work. Yes, I know performances at training etc count a lot but 'play well, get an opportunity' is a great model on which to build a selection policy.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2023, 10:46 AM
This is where some of the inconsistencies in our selections are played out though mate. When players who HAVEN'T been in great form are selected (as seems to routinely happen) it causes confusion. I'm sure the coaches would say "Player X knows exactly where he's at" but I would doubt what they are saying to their coaches and their families are the same thing.

Hannan being selected after kicking 5-goals a couple of weeks back is a great example of how it should work and be SEEN to work. Yes, I know performances at training etc count a lot but 'play well, get an opportunity' is a great model on which to build a selection policy.

Agreed.

I also do not like how little regard we still to have for positions/roles players play in the VFL. CBAs in VFL, HFF in AFL. JOD being picked off 3 games in the VFL, then playing a different role in AFL.

Grantysghost
30-06-2023, 10:59 AM

It's interesting. I think if Hannan kicked 2.3 for eg he still gets a gig as it's probably a more holistic approach to the game they are looking for.
Buku could kick 5 and not get picked is my point.

I'm not sure how many have seen him live recently; I take great interest in things off the ball and sometimes he looks like my nephew in the u 12s wondering where he should be.

TV is a hard medium to judge anything non-ball in hand related when it comes to bogan ball.

mjp
30-06-2023, 11:16 AM
Buku could kick 5 and not get picked is my point.

I think that's what I'm trying to say. Players SHOULD be promoted for two reasons:
1/. Injury and positional fit.
2/. Form.

Hannan kicking 5 is the perfect example of what happens. Kick 5, there's a forward spot open...you're in. Or put together 4-6 weeks of being in the best 5 players...you're in. It doesn't seem to happen this way all that often which is a confusing message to those players outside of the AFL squad and I have no doubt impacts their match day performances.

G-Mo77
30-06-2023, 11:40 AM
Just a gut feel (not backed up by stats) but I feel like if he had been given a run (say like Arty) we would see a different side to him, I?m a big fan and I feel like he?s been a bit hard done by in regards to selections.

Hasn't been able to nail down a position either. He seems to play a different position at VFL level every few weeks. Right now he's a back up ruck who swings forward. In a couple of weeks he'll probably be a defender. Like you said a run of games like Jones and JOD would benefit but we're hardly doing him service by what we're doing now. Just cut him and let him work on his craft at another club. We clearly have no interest in him.

bornadog
30-06-2023, 11:57 AM
I think that's what I'm trying to say. Players SHOULD be promoted for two reasons:
1/. Injury and positional fit.
2/. Form.

Hannan kicking 5 is the perfect example of what happens. Kick 5, there's a forward spot open...you're in. Or put together 4-6 weeks of being in the best 5 players...you're in. It doesn't seem to happen this way all that often which is a confusing message to those players outside of the AFL squad and I have no doubt impacts their match day performances.

Plays a big part in selection.

The only spot that Buku could possibly take is a HBF role, but he lacks form.

G-Mo77
30-06-2023, 11:58 AM
Plays a big part in selection.

The only spot that Buku could possibly take is a HBF role, but he lacks form.

He was terrific last VFL game.

jeemak
30-06-2023, 02:48 PM
Is it as simple as not being able to cover the KMs and hit the requisite time on ground no matter which end he plays?

If it is then he's never getting a game with us.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2023, 02:51 PM
He was terrific last VFL game.

Played a solid game as a ruck/forward.

Would you select him ahead of Lobb?

G-Mo77
30-06-2023, 03:16 PM
Played a solid game as a ruck/forward.

Would you select him ahead of Lobb?

No, I'd have him as a defender but we're in June and he's a ruck forward now. Ask again in August. :o

soupman
30-06-2023, 06:14 PM
Is it as simple as not being able to cover the KMs and hit the requisite time on ground no matter which end he plays?

If it is then he's never getting a game with us.

Yeah I remember his first game he spent virtually the entire second half on the bench, which i took to be a concern seeing as his entire career seems to be based on his athletic traits. I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if thats the reason though seeing as we've just kept giving him contracts despite never rating him enough to play him.

jeemak
30-06-2023, 06:16 PM
Yeah I remember his first game he spent virtually the entire second half on the bench, which i took to be a concern seeing as his entire career seems to be based on his athletic traits. I'm gonna be pretty annoyed if thats the reason though seeing as we've just kept giving him contracts despite never rating him enough to play him.

Maybe the gap is between his ears, in that he can get close to the base required but won't gas himself to bridge the gap. It could be a maturity thing he's not been able to overcome.

soupman
30-06-2023, 06:27 PM
Maybe the gap is between his ears, in that he can get close to the base required but won't gas himself to bridge the gap. It could be a maturity thing he's not been able to overcome.

Maybe. He looks pretty ripped but i know thats not necessarily indicative.

Regardless i think it's pretty on brand that we've given out multiple extensions to a player who has always been marginal at best and when he finally seems to have figured out how he can contribute we lose interest in even acknowledging his existence.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2023, 06:37 PM

Regardless i think it's pretty on brand that we've given out multiple extensions to a player who has always been marginal at best and when he finally seems to have figured out how he can contribute we lose interest in even acknowledging his existence.

This is my exact frustration. 5 years to now ignore him. If his flaws are apparent and obvious as some have suggested, then what are we doing pumping 5 years into him and his deficiencies as a player then?

Danjul
30-06-2023, 07:42 PM
This is my exact frustration. 5 years to now ignore him. If his flaws are apparent and obvious as some have suggested, then what are we doing pumping 5 years into him and his deficiencies as a player then?
He got 5 games on the forward line and was no worse than Lobb?s. Actually got 3 goals in one game, Lobb?s best has been 2.

Got a few games on the back line, all better than JOD.

Theres deficiencies and then theres deficiencies.

FrediKanoute
30-06-2023, 10:57 PM
He got 5 games on the forward line and was no worse than Lobb?s. Actually got 3 goals in one game, Lobb?s best has been 2.

I agree. Whilst I don't see Buku as a backman, the Lobb recruitment has taken his main avenue to getting a game.

hujsh
01-07-2023, 12:26 AM

Maybe he's too ripped? Like all that upper body muscle at a certain point is just more mass you have to drag around slowing you down if you're not doing a lot of contested work.

MrMahatma
01-07-2023, 06:43 AM
Maybe he's too ripped? Like all that upper body muscle at a certain point is just more mass you have to drag around slowing you down if you're not doing a lot of contested work.

Being too ripped is what ruined my potential hall of fame career. It’s a curse

hujsh
01-07-2023, 09:14 AM

I think we can say most WOOFers are cursed with that affliction

Bulldog Joe
01-07-2023, 11:14 AM

This is where raw stats don't tell the story.

Lobb gives more presence in the ruck when he goes there.
He is also more mobile to my eye to assist with defending.

On the backline he is not able to cover the ground required, which JOD seems more capable of.

Buku just hasn't developed the running capacity. Some players make other compensations.

Liam Jones is not an endurance runner but makes up for that with speed and it appears that he recovers from his efforts well to be ready for the next contest.

Buku needs to develop speed or endurance to go with his marking ability and 5 years in it doesn't seem to be happening.

It may be a mental thing as athletes need to learn and understand pushing through the lactic barriers.

mjp
01-07-2023, 11:54 AM

"All-State talent, just TOO Strong...."

https://twitter.com/DanielMcKim/status/1362400050480037891?s=20

Danjul
01-07-2023, 12:34 PM
This is where raw stats don't tell the story.

Lobb gives more presence in the ruck when he goes there.
He is also more mobile to my eye to assist with defending.

On the backline he is not able to cover the ground required, which JOD seems more capable of.

Buku just hasn't developed the running capacity. Some players make other compensations.

Liam Jones is not an endurance runner but makes up for that with speed and it appears that he recovers from his efforts well to be ready for the next contest.

Buku needs to develop speed or endurance to go with his marking ability and 5 years in it doesn't seem to be happening.

It may be a mental thing as athletes need to learn and understand pushing through the lactic barriers.
I watched Khamis play on the backline against st Kilda last year and was impressed. He was one of our best and kept St Kilda out when they were mounting a comeback. Now we have significant injuries in the backline he can?t get a game because he is inadequate as a forward. Strange.

18 possessions and 7 marks in a defensive position is definitely AFL standard. Only the midfielders had more that night.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 05:56 PM
Khamis with another four goals today, with 20 minutes left to play.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2023, 11:48 AM
Buku will absolutely get a go elsewhere:

12 VFL games in 2023 for 27.13 (better than 66% goal kicking accuracy) - right now equal 6th in the VFL Coleman.

Over a full season, that’s over 50 goals. That’s what we have in our list, a third tall forward (accurate) kicking 50 goals a year in the VFL - who looks like not getting a AFEL game this year. But like Smith and the midfield minutes, he can’t get a game in their best spot. Like Sweet being ranked #1 ruck in the VFL, no doubt Sweet & Buku have already got new a home/s to consider.

I think another club might snap up a bargain with Buku and I hope he doesn’t make us look overly silly as we struggle to kick winning scores and kick for goal accurately. But he’s not in our plans so I wish him well, ideally just not when playing us.

DOG GOD
15-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Buku will absolutely get a go elsewhere:

12 VFL games in 2023 for 27.13 (better than 66% goal kicking accuracy) - right now equal 6th in the VFL Coleman.

Over a full season, that?s over 50 goals. That?s what we have in our list, a third tall forward (accurate) kicking 50 goals a year in the VFL - who looks like not getting a AFEL game this year. But like Smith and the midfield minutes, he can?t get a game in their best spot. Like Sweet being ranked #1 ruck in the VFL, no doubt Sweet & Buku have already got new a home/s to consider.

I think another club might snap up a bargain with Buku and I hope he doesn?t make us look overly silly as we struggle to kick winning scores and kick for goal accurately. But he?s not in our plans so I wish him well, ideally just not when playing us.

And this is what peeves me about our match committee. What it must do for his confidence when a player like JOD has the arms of the MC wrapped around him, while Buku gets a slap across the chops. It makes no sense to us on here. Imagine what it must feel like for the player, and ofcourse others players seeing this pan out.

G-Mo77
15-07-2023, 12:43 PM
I hope he stays, he's been really good at VFL level this season and has deserved a call up. The improvement has been there and he can be an AFL footballer if given the time. Sadly I think it'll be somewhere else, I mean why would he want to stay after this season?

bulldogtragic
15-07-2023, 12:50 PM
And this is what peeves me about our match committee. What it must do for his confidence when a player like JOD has the arms of the MC wrapped around him, while Buku gets a slap across the chops. It makes no sense to us on here. Imagine what it must feel like for the player, and ofcourse others players seeing this pan out.

He loves the club, you can hear it when he speaks. But, he also wants a longer career so he will leave (or be delisted as let him leave as a DFA) and will have suitors as a 50 goal season, accurate kick for goal, a mature player with many years in the AFEL system is not a bad target for a last spot in a list. He just needs to move on for opportunities and see if he can make the grade. Like others, simply, his future is elsewhere. Which means despite strong form, why play him if he’s not around for next year? I get the feeling we will have a handful of trade our requests.

josie
15-07-2023, 06:58 PM

That’s one of the reasons I think I’ve lost faith in Bevo. There is little or at least inconsistent selection integrity. That and the elevation of VFL battlers who IMO clog our list. Mind you, if we make a PF this year my faith might just wobble back again.

macca
16-07-2023, 12:46 AM
Buku will excel at a club with better forward running patterns and good delivery from a midfield. I see a Richmond and Geelong as 2 clubs would be looking for a player like him. What is sad if he goes is the invesment we have put in him , but yet sad the return of games played and influurnce

1eyedog
16-07-2023, 03:07 PM
Buku is a VFL level player for mine. Nice player but lacks speed of mind and intensity.

Clearly the MC feel the same although we've given him ample opportunity to prove us otherwise.

bornadog
16-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Buku is a VFL level player for mine. Nice player but lacks speed of mind and intensity.

Clearly the MC feel the same although we've given him ample opportunity to prove us otherwise.

I feel the same.

Mofra
16-07-2023, 05:01 PM

I really want him to succeed but I just don't think it's with us. If he wants to move on, handshake, thank you, good luck and (like Roughy, Greene, etc) he's someone I'd like to see do ok at another club.

1eyedog
16-07-2023, 08:52 PM
I really want him to succeed but I just don't think it's with us. If he wants to move on, handshake, thank you, good luck and (like Roughy, Greene, etc) he's someone I'd like to see do ok at another club.

I'd wish him well seems like a well-liked player. He's 23 now and really needs to step up if he wants to remain on the list. It's last chance saloon.

I have this strange feeling he may even come in this week for one of JOD or Darcy.

bulldogtragic
09-09-2023, 03:10 PM
Great season. 41.21 (Tory Dickson like accuracy) as a ruck/second forward. Despite not being ruck height.

All the best at your new club Buku!

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-09-2023, 03:40 PM

Given how poor our forward line was this year Khamis certainly deserves more opportunities as is versatile enough to play either back
or forward.

Hotdog60
09-09-2023, 04:15 PM
If he had a little more leg speed I could find a place in the 22 but in the forward line he is competing against JUH, Naughton and Lobb.
That's why I think if he had that extra bit of pace he could be useful on the half forward flank.

soupman
09-09-2023, 04:15 PM
Given how poor our forward line was this year Khamis certainly deserves more opportunities as is versatile enough to play either back
or forward.

But is he good at either?

He's an ok forward, but as he doesn't cover the ground particularly well, is not a ground ball winner, and is primarily a marking forward of which we already have 3 (maybe 4), it's easy to see why we weren't trying to force him in.

Down back he hasn't really shown he has the contested ability nor the tank to perform in the role.

If he was 5cm taller it'd help justify it, but he's a bit too undersized to be the low possession kpp type at either end.

He has ability, and may yet make it, but I don't think him being borderline ok in 3 different positions means he is the best candidate to actually get games.

Curious to VFL watchers, Raak seems to fit a very similiar profile, is he the same thing?

Hotdog60
09-09-2023, 04:17 PM
Raak is a skinny version of Buku but Buku is may be a better shot at goal.

Bulldog Joe
09-09-2023, 04:54 PM
Raak is a skinny version of Buku but Buku is may be a better shot at goal.

I actually think Raak has more chance of converting to the top level.
He covers the ground better and may be able to develop onto a wing.
Buku just needs to be able to develop the running capacity and hasn't managed to demonstrate that he can do that

G-Mo77
11-09-2023, 05:58 AM
Great season. 41.21 (Tory Dickson like accuracy) as a ruck/second forward. Despite not being ruck height.

We're likely holding onto someone like Tim O'Brien and letting this guy go. Instead of pigeon holling him into the Ruck/Fwd spot we really could have trialled him as a defensive player. We're choosing someone who is nearly 30 and no better than the some of the worst VFL players running around over someone who is 23 who could develop into a decent role player for us. I know which hand I'd choose. Maybe our list managers need to come under review as well.

Hotdog60
11-09-2023, 06:43 AM
Buku played all his early games as a defender the issue was that if he didn't mark it he was no longer in the picture.
I think his best position is forward and is a better set shot than Naughton but his only knock will be what Naughton does after he doesn't mark the ball.
I think that is what keeps Buku out of the 22.

jazzadogs
06-10-2023, 04:53 PM

Well...all the best at OUR club again in 2024.

These numbers are why I'm glad we're retaining Buku. He is the kind of young depth that good teams have, and is still likely better than whoever would replace his list spot.

josie
06-10-2023, 06:10 PM
Buku popular with group and with fans. Hope he has more opportunities at senior level and makes the most if them. Exciting when he is on song.

SonofScray
06-10-2023, 06:25 PM
Smart move.

I thought Jongy should have left when he had the chance, grab some extra dollars and run, was pleased when he stayed. Buku, I think is in a similar space in some respects, but he has more to give us and will benefit from hanging in there. He can get to the level and we should be getting him in the mix,

ledge
06-10-2023, 06:28 PM
Smart move.

I thought Jongy should have left when he had the chance, grab some extra dollars and run, was pleased when he stayed. Buku, I think is in a similar space in some respects, but he has more to give us and will benefit from hanging in there. He can get to the level and we should be getting him in the mix,

Jongy was as hard as they come . Sometimes too much.
Buku is a different player his hardness isn’t his strong point .

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 06:30 PM
Reading some comments on Twitter that we shouldn't have re-signed him. Given we have flagged we are making minimal additions via the draft we will be re-signing some others as well.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Reading some comments on Twitter that we shouldn't have re-signed him. Given we have flagged we are making minimal additions via the draft we will be re-signing some others as well.

Crazy. I can't see a downside from the club's side, only potentially Buku's.

He is great depth, if a couple of forwards go down next year he is going to be much more capable of stepping up than say Croft.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 06:47 PM
Crazy. I can't see a downside from the club's side, only potentially Buku's.

He is great depth, if a couple of forwards go down next year he is going to be much more capable of stepping up than say Croft.

I agree, possibly some of our supporters wanted some more draft picks or currency for player swaps like landing Coffield.
The only other thing mentioned is that we don't play him and that's a bit harder to defend. He's versatile and doesn't get many injuries so I don't see a lot of risk in it.

Go_Dogs
06-10-2023, 07:13 PM
Happy with this. Unlikely to play with a healthy list, however things can change. He’s shown improvement every year.

azabob
20-04-2024, 10:33 AM
Have we as a forum undersold how good Khamis has actually been this season?

His intercept marking game is improving week on week and he knows his limitations disposal wise.

Clearly his fitness has improved as he is playing 90% game time regularly.

Without Khamis, Richards doesn?t play midfield on Thursday night.

No reason why he can?t play as our third tall for the remainder of the season and beyond.

Honestly I didn?t see it coming.

Kudos to you Buku.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-04-2024, 10:39 AM
He's been very impressive.

He was just about delisted last season so it's been a great turnaround. He belongs in the backline. He needs to improve his physicality but his reading of the ball has been excellent. He's a great Robin to Jones' batman. He and JOD are starting to resemble a competent intercept duo.

And that leap.....

westdog54
20-04-2024, 10:46 AM
He's been very impressive.

He was just about delisted last season so it's been a great turnaround. He belongs in the backline. He needs to improve his physicality but his reading of the ball has been excellent. He's a great Robin to Jones' batman. He and JOD are starting to resemble a competent intercept duo.

And that leap.....

That, right there. That's been the key. He knows exactly where the ball is going and exactly how to jump at it. That's a skill in itself and not all defenders have it. Of those that do, not all have the athleticism to fully exploit it.

Yes, his disposal is still suspect but when you're shutting down promising inside 50s cold, it matters a lot less.

The Underdog
20-04-2024, 10:49 AM
Very happy with his output. My only query is that he often tries to mark on his chest rather than hands. He is good at protecting the ball with the body, but feel it’s an improvement he can make in his game.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2024, 11:08 AM
Have we as a forum undersold how good Khamis has actually been this season?

His intercept marking game is improving week on week and he knows his limitations disposal wise.

Clearly his fitness has improved as he is playing 90% game time regularly.

Without Khamis, Richards doesn?t play midfield on Thursday night.

No reason why he can?t play as our third tall for the remainder of the season and beyond.

Honestly I didn?t see it coming.

Kudos to you Buku.

It’s been a bizarre ride for 14 months. Despite his size he was second rucking in the VFL and was one of the highest total and accurate goal kickers in the entire VFL last year. He couldn’t get a look in as a forward. Then he had several alleged trade suitors and extends with us. Then he goes into defence and is keeping out experienced defenders like Keath & Gardner. It’s a head spinning time. But I’ve always been in his corner despite his raw and fairly slow development. Off field he seems like a great person, heavily invested in helping others and now is impressing and getting better. Good for him.

angelopetraglia
20-04-2024, 11:20 AM
It’s been a bizarre ride for 14 months. Despite his size he was second rucking in the VFL and was one of the highest total and accurate goal kickers in the entire VFL last year. He couldn’t get a look in as a forward. Then he had several alleged trade suitors and extends with us. Then he goes into defence and is keeping out experienced defenders like Keath & Gardner. It’s a head spinning time. But I’ve always been in his corner despite his raw and fairly slow development. Off field he seems like a great person, heavily invested in helping others and now is impressing and getting better. Good for him.

Agree 100%. Great story and he has been a relevation for me this year with his ability to back himself and launch in the air to grab so many intercepts. I had written him off, so glad he has proven me wrong. Well done Buku.

Happy Days
20-04-2024, 11:37 AM
Very happy with his output. My only query is that he often tries to mark on his chest rather than hands. He is good at protecting the ball with the body, but feel it’s an improvement he can make in his game.

It actually reminds me a lot of early Liam Jones. He lets the ball get so big on him sometimes.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-04-2024, 11:53 AM
My only concern is his physicality. I'd like him to be more agile but it's not terrible, but his physicality needs to go up a few levels.

It's a credit to him though, I don't even think the coaches would have predicted this at the end of last year.

mighty_west
20-04-2024, 12:12 PM
The thing that hurt him was burning it up as a forward in the VFL as he looked super impressive along with being a straight shooter, he could play as that ultimate swingman in years to come but we'd need him in his more natural position down back where he was in the under 18's All Australian side, he's been terrific so far this season doesn't look like getting dropped anytime soon.

Khamis, JOD, Busslinger & Croft, with Jonesy in the twilight of his career we certainly have the players to develop, just wonder if we have the patience or try and pull the trigger on someone like Tom Barass to be our mainstay for 4 to 5 seasons whilst those other 4 continue to get games under their belts or even use Smith as some kind of 3 way trade deal for the now to play alongside Jones and go as hard as hell for a tilt at a flag whilst Liam is still at the top of his game.

ledge
20-04-2024, 04:40 PM
My only worry is he sometimes goes the mark in a pack and misses, the ball goes over the back and his opponent runs into an open goal. He has to make sure that the ball doesn’t go over the back.
It will come with experience.
Other than that he is doing what he had to in his role.

Bullies
20-04-2024, 04:54 PM
He is still learning the game as well. Unfortunately we wasted last year by playing him in the forward line. Very impressive the way he backs himself but still has a lot to learn on how to play on forwards. He struggles with touch when playing one on one and loses his opponent in particular the smart forwards but this will come with time. At the moment he needs to play on the 3rd or 4th forward.

Topdog
20-04-2024, 11:29 PM
Missed the 1st 2.5 quarters but thought he had a really poor last quarter on Thursday. There was a 5 minute spell where he made 3 big errors in the last

ledge
20-04-2024, 11:38 PM
Missed the 1st 2.5 quarters but thought he had a really poor last quarter on Thursday. There was a 5 minute spell where he made 3 big errors in the last

Problem is he plays as our last backman and all his errors multiply because it’s usually a goal.