PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to The Bulldogs Lachie Young

bornadog
23-11-2018, 09:11 PM
The Western Bulldogs have selected the Dandenong Stingrays product Lachlan Young with pick 6 in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft.
Young is a rebounding defender who possesses a penetrating kick and strong intercept marking skills.

He has the versality to play through the midfield or on the wing, and is known for his competitiveness.

Young played in Under 18 competition in 2018 as a 19-year old. He is a Stingrays Premiership player and represented Frankston at league level in the VFL.

Lachlan Young profile
DOB: 06/04/1999
Height: 190cm
Weight: 82kg
Position: Defender
Club: Dandenong Southern Stingrays

bornadog
23-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Nice size player for a wingman come mid

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 09:36 PM
We love our rebounding defenders alright.

Sedat
23-11-2018, 10:03 PM
We love our rebounding defenders alright.
It's been a strong lineage ever since we drafted Jarrad Boumann ;)

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Hopefully any of the new draftees can actually play!

Smads57
23-11-2018, 10:33 PM
Just read he did his ACL in his initial draft year. Hope it's all clear for him going forward.

bulldogtragic
23-11-2018, 10:40 PM
Just read he did his ACL in his initial draft year. Hope it's all clear for him going forward.

With our team watching over him, what could go wrong?

lemmon
24-11-2018, 01:52 AM
His highlights remind me A LOT of first year Andrejs Everitt when he was that skinny half back flanker who looked like he could be anything in the second half of 2007

S Coast Simon
24-11-2018, 02:16 AM
Gee this kid looks smooth as well. We have managed an excellent draft. They all look good. And did we get a few extra picks next year as well

soupman
24-11-2018, 11:57 AM
Reminds me of Bailey Williams the way he is so upright when he kicks, changes direction nicely and kicks off two steps.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2018, 12:17 PM
He’s a great size. One I’m keen to see how we develop him and where he spends his first season at VFL level. He’d be an interesting prospect as a second possession midfielder who can handle the heat in tight and run hard outside.

bornadog
24-11-2018, 06:41 PM

You are getting Comrade excited :D

Twodogs
25-11-2018, 08:52 PM
With our team watching over him, what could go wrong?

Bad luck is all I can think really. That's all that can go wrong.

Mofra
26-11-2018, 04:14 PM
If you're a rookie prospect you'd want to get to the Bulldogs wouldn't you?
Perhaps the Swans get close to our rookie record but I can't think of other teams you'd want to get to for opportunity/development/games played.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Perhaps the Swans get close to our rookie record but I can't think of other teams you'd want to get to for opportunity/development/games played.

The Crows have done exceptionally well over the past 6 years.

Mofra
27-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Weirdly he's only 4 months younger than our own Lewis Young who is undergoing his third pre-season. A little perspective

Mofra
27-11-2018, 10:13 AM
The Crows have done exceptionally well over the past 6 years.
They're also very hard headed in who they draft, going against expectations. Crows fans almost burned down Brownwater stadium when they selected Dangerfield over Ebert, and everyone laughed at Doedee as a first rounder until he actually started playing.

The biggest miss I can think of was pre-listing Ken McGregor as 17 year old instead of a slowish chubby midfielder called Pavlich.

bornadog
18-04-2019, 05:32 PM
All the best for your first game on Sunday.

josie
18-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Congrats Lachie Young!! Look forward to your debut in RWB. Exciting when a young fella we know little about is called up. Bevo has trust in you, so i do too.

Eastdog
19-04-2019, 10:22 PM
Good luck Lachie Young!

macca
20-04-2019, 08:26 PM

I hope you play many many more Lachlie!

Well done for getting a game so early in the season
I have this romantic pride when a rookie gets a game and hope he becomes a regular
It’s the story of the underdog,
the player that got overlooked ,
it’s the gem we unearthed player in a lesser league,
it’s the steal of the rookie draft , bargain pick ....

All great stories when one of our rookies make it
One , ten , 100 games doesn’t matter .
It’s the journey that they made a game

Mofra
24-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Didn't catch the whole game but Lachie looked like he had AFL qualities. Raw as hell but a lot to develop and work with

Scorlibo
24-04-2019, 01:36 PM
He sticks tackles! That's a real positive. He was let down a few times by more senior teammates not providing him options with the ball, as well as committing a few skill errors himself. Overall it was a positive debut for him though.

Mofra
12-05-2019, 12:20 AM
How do we think he's tracking?

For mine he clearly has AFL attributes and I love his aerial work.
He seems a kid who spent his junior career as an attacking/rebounding weapon but has adjusted well to the defensive aspects of AFL football.

Still raw as hell - ideally he'd be developing in the VFL - but for a rookie pick we absolutely nailed this one. He's that mid-sized defender who will be so important as hybrid forwards become all the rage in football (De Goey types).

bulldogtragic
12-05-2019, 12:26 AM
I’m happy with the raw product. Easy to see why the club extended him already. He’s like a nice bottle of red. Can drink now, or wait it for it in two years when it’s matured nicely. Both seem ok right now. The games he’s had while Morris has been out will be excellent f9r him. If Morris is back shortly, as expected, plus Young & Khamis trying to get in, he may struggle 5o hold the spot. But it won’t be for lacking of showing afel attributes.

josie
12-05-2019, 12:36 AM
His disposal was better today and like the way he is improving each game. Go Youngy!!

NoseBleed
12-05-2019, 02:25 AM
Get a haircut.

Hotdog60
12-05-2019, 08:27 AM
If he has a tank or can build one that lets him run all day I see a better Hunter. I love his flat kicking that are like bullets.

Remi Moses
12-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Looks a good decision maker and execution is also good .
Got a bit to work with

westdog54
29-11-2019, 10:45 AM
With the senior list now full, what is happening with Lachie?

Has there been an official announcement that he's staying on the rookie list?

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 11:06 AM
With the senior list now full, what is happening with Lachie?

Has there been an official announcement that he's staying on the rookie list?

Not sure there needs to be an announcement? He signed a one year extension and it has never been mentioned by any official source that he would be promoted. The primary list is full so it's safe to assume he remains on the rookie list.

The Buku category B thing must be true although it would be nice if they would tell us.

bornadog
29-11-2019, 11:41 AM
The Buku category B thing must be true although it would be nice if they would tell us.

What made you think that ?

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 11:53 AM
What made you think that ?

Simple maths. We can't have a full primary list + 5 category A rookies. Either that or he's been delisted!

bornadog
29-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Smith, Young, Sweet and Khamis?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Simple maths. We can't have a full primary list + 5 category A rookies. Either that or he's been delisted!

With no public info. I can guess, and could be well wrong. But we know he was originally Cat B. Then my guess that he was elevated into an LTI (long term injury) spot, likely Dale Morris knee injury from the season before and then his subsequent pre season knee injury. Khamis may have moved back and forth during the year. Then he sits in Cat B by season's end. We draft Garcia, we put him on the LTI possibly for the season. Khamis then gets elevated into this LTI spot (Cat A spot) for 2020. So he's been/will be a Cat B for two seasons, but with the above LTI spots, he will actually be a Cat A for two seasons.

That's my best guess.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Smith, Young, Sweet and Khamis?

Roarke = 5

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 12:23 PM
With no public info. I can guess, and could be well wrong. But we know he was originally Cat B. Then my guess that he was elevated into an LTI (long term injury) spot, likely Dale Morris knee injury from the season before and then his subsequent pre season knee injury. Khamis may have moved back and forth during the year. Then he sits in Cat B by season's end. We draft Garcia, we put him on the LTI possibly for the season. Khamis then gets elevated into this LTI spot (Cat A spot) for 2020. So he's been/will be a Cat B for two seasons, but with the above LTI spots, he will actually be a Cat A for two seasons.

That's my best guess.

I don't think that's correct. It was reported that Buku was added to the senior list rather than being a category B. If he had remained category B we could have taken another rookie last year.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 12:35 PM
I don't think that's correct. It was reported that Buku was added to the senior list rather than being a category B. If he had remained category B we could have taken another rookie last year.

We don't know, which is your very valid point. We could've passed on the last rookie pick on financial grounds or not rated any kids against the spend, and the club could've said we were adding him to Cat A spot but left out of the public comments that it was under done under AFL Rule 10.10 B (ii) (26.1 Long Term Injury). In which case he was added to the senior list, just temporarily.

But I don't know. But I can't think of another mechanism that allows him to move back and forth. Clarity for deducted and interested members would've been nice. But that side, Garcia is an LTI so Khamis can move back up again.

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 12:39 PM
We don't know, which is your very valid point. We could've passed on the last rookie pick on financial grounds or not rated any kids against the spend, and the club could've said we were adding him to Cat A spot but left out of the public comments that it was under done under AFL Rule 10.10 B (ii) (26.1 Long Term Injury). In which case he was added to the senior list, just temporarily.

But I don't know. But I can't think of another mechanism that allows him to move back and forth. Clarity for deducted no interested members would've been nice. But that side, Garcia is an LTI so Khamis can move back up again.

Fair enough, it's as good a theory as any. I really don't understand the benefit of keeping everyone in the dark on this. I'm going to try and hunt Sam Power down and ask him at the social club xmas party, even though that is something I would never usually do - I just have to know!

anfo27
29-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Roarke = 5

Isn't the Smith rookie listed by bad Roarke?

I'm confused. If we only have 4 rookies why did we not take another today?

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Roarke = 5

Isn't the Smith rookie listed by bad Roarke?

I'm confused. If we only have 4 rookies why did we not take another today?

Gardner + Roarke Smith + Sweet + Lachie Young + Khamis = 5.

There's a contract list thread you know guys. I heard the guy that maintains it is incredibly good looking.

anfo27
29-11-2019, 12:46 PM

strange he isn't listed as a rookie on the club website

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 12:51 PM
strange he isn't listed as a rookie on the club website

Smith, Gardner earn new deals (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-10-29/smith-gardner-earn-new-deals)

The list on the website is well out of date, I don't think it has been updated since the start of the season. Picken and Boyd are still on there for example.

Edit: Actually Gardner is included on the senior list on there, they must have added him when he was taken mid season. Clearly he is on the rookie list though.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 02:00 PM

There's a contract list thread you know guys. I heard the guy that maintains it is incredibly good looking.

Yeah, the cast offs you send our way is the only reason you got the job.

bornadog
29-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Smith, Gardner earn new deals (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-10-29/smith-gardner-earn-new-deals)

The list on the website is well out of date, I don't think it has been updated since the start of the season. Picken and Boyd are still on there for example.

Edit: Actually Gardner is included on the senior list on there, they must have added him when he was taken mid season. Clearly he is on the rookie list though.

Are you sure he is not a senior player?

bornadog
29-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Actually Footy wire shows 5 rookies

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Are you sure he is not a senior player?

Yes because:
1. We can't have 41 senior players.
2. He was drafted as a rookie in the mid season draft.
3. The linked article states he will remain on the rookie list.
4. All players (including rookies) are listed in the senior section of the website, it's just that Gardner is missing from the rookie section. Like I said the website is clearly out of date so I would not put any credence in it.

bornadog
29-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Yes because:
1. We can't have 41 senior players.
2. He was drafted as a rookie in the mid season draft.
3. The linked article states he will remain on the rookie list.
4. All players (including rookies) are listed in the senior section of the website, it's just that Gardner is missing from the rookie section. Like I said the website is clearly out of date so I would not put any credence in it.

Footy wire is up to date

Axe Man
29-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Footy wire is up to date

Footy wire is just website compiled by somebody from the info that is out there. I don't think it has anymore reliability than my contract list thread.

bulldogtragic
29-11-2019, 03:49 PM
Footy wire is just website compiled by somebody from the info that is out there. I don't think it has anymore reliability than my contract list thread.

I'm backing in you and your thread. You're across all the tiny Bulldogs specific stuff with a microscope. Footy wire has to cover 18 clubs and do get it wrong. Example: Last year I was saying we should go after Lachlan Murphy from Adelaide because footy wire said he was uncontracted almost all year. Turns out he signed a contract extension early on. If in doubt, go with Axe Man.

Twodogs
29-11-2019, 07:57 PM

I'm backing in you and your thread. You're across all the tiny Bulldogs specific stuff with a microscope. Footy wire has to cover 18 clubs and do get it wrong. Example: Last year I was saying we should go after Lachlan Murphy from Adelaide because footy wire said he was uncontracted almost all year. Turns out he signed a contract extension early on. If in doubt, go with Axe Man.

Yep, always go with Axey for bulldog related minutia.

bornadog
29-11-2019, 11:55 PM

It is actually kept up to date. On match day there are the live stats for every game, so it is run professionally by someone who has access to all stats. I wouldn't dismiss it.

hujsh
30-11-2019, 11:23 AM
It is actually kept up to date. On match day there are the live stats for every game, so it is run professionally by someone who has access to all stats. I wouldn't dismiss it.

And yet it appears, based on all reasonable logic, that it's wrong in this case and is apparently has some history of being wrong with regards to list status.

I don't see what the problem is given Axe Man has listed his sources. Unless Footywire has sources that indicate otherwise Axe Man seems more accurate in this case

bornadog
30-11-2019, 04:54 PM
And yet it appears, based on all reasonable logic, that it's wrong in this case and is apparently has some history of being wrong with regards to list status.

I don't see what the problem is given Axe Man has listed his sources. Unless Footywire has sources that indicate otherwise Axe Man seems more accurate in this case

I think you misunderstood, I said footywire confirms what Axeman said ie, there are 5 rookies listed.

Bulldog4life
30-11-2019, 06:58 PM
I think you miss understood, I said footywire confirms what Axeman said ie, there are 5 rookies listed.

I had a teacher at school who we called Miss Understood.True.

bornadog
30-11-2019, 07:21 PM
I had a teacher at school who we called Miss Understood.True.

Nice one:D

Axe Man
02-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Certainly not dismissing them and not commenting at all on their stats. However when it comes to contract information I am pretty sure they have access to exactly the same information the rest of us do: ie that which is publicly disseminated by the clubs.