PDA

View Full Version : Player X will have a great year in 2019

Dry Rot
16-12-2018, 09:53 PM
Which player(s) do you think will have a great year in 2019 beyond previous seasons?

I reckon Dunkley and Schache will have breakout years - apparently in great nick. Schache has put on some muscle too.

Of the new guys, Smith is the obvious one but Cavarra looks fully developed and ready to go. Hungry for it too.

Thoughts?

Twodogs
16-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Which player(s) do you think will have a great year in 2019 beyond previous seasons?

I reckon Dunkley and Schache will have breakout years - apparently in great nick. Schache has put on some muscle too.

Of the new guys, Smith is the obvious one but Cavarra looks fully developed and ready to go. Hungry for it too.

Thoughts?

I'm with you. Dunks and Big(ger) Josh will have huge seasons. Josh will kick plenty of goals and Dunks will clear the path to give his fellow mids lots of time and space to get creative.

I also think we will install a back six and get them used to playing with each other over the next season. Naughton/Cordy in the key defensive roles with Roberts as cover, Morris as the floater/lock down and Duryea, Crozier, Wood, Richards and Suckling as the runners out. Pick six of them and stick with them.

GVGjr
16-12-2018, 10:11 PM
I think there a couple of similar threads (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18435-2019-Your-most-Bullish-Bulldog) DR but Schache, Williams and Dunkley could easily get to another level.

I'd like to also see further development in Lipinski, Gowers and Lynch who all got noticed this year along with Naughton and Richards
Around the fringes of having a breakout year could be English and Young as well

It's so important that our match committee has a youth policy to consider with selections each week

West, Smith and Cavarra the most likely from the players drafted this year

Twodogs
16-12-2018, 10:13 PM
I think there a couple of similar threads (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?18435-2019-Your-most-Bullish-Bulldog) DR but Schache, Williams and Dunkley could easily get to another level.

I'd like to also see further development in Lipinski, Gowers and Lynch who all got noticed this year along with Naughton and Richards

Who is going to be the best first year draftee G?

GVGjr
16-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Who is going to be the best first year draftee G?

Very hard call I'd say, if Smith was fit now I'd have him in front but West and Cavarra both have strong claims. Lets go with West

Vred
17-12-2018, 12:27 AM
Lipinski, Gowers and Naughton for me, from what I've seen of pre-season and training I think these are the boys to keep an eye on.

Best first year draftee? West or Smith, leaning more West as I think he might surprise people with what he can do.

AshMac
17-12-2018, 08:22 AM

It's so important that our match committee has a youth policy to consider with selections each week

What’s your rationale on Young’s potential for a break out year?

I don’t get to training sessions, but I haven’t seen or heard anything on him since his stint in 2017. Know he’s put on size, just wondering if there is any other reason?

GVGjr
17-12-2018, 09:17 AM
What’s your rationale on Young’s potential for a break out year?

I don’t get to training sessions, but I haven’t seen or heard anything on him since his stint in 2017. Know he’s put on size, just wondering if there is any other reason?

We don't have a lot of depth for KP defenders so if he can get a bit of a role and make the most of his chances he could take a step forward. The thing about Young is that he is a good intercept mark and that he is very quick for his size and these are traits KP defenders require. If he can add another 10 games to his tally in 2019 I think it would be regarded as a very good season for him

Dry Rot
17-12-2018, 12:04 PM
I read somewhere that Young is training with the forwards - is this true?

Smads57
17-12-2018, 12:37 PM
I read somewhere that Young is training with the forwards - is this true?

Hi DR, I mentioned in a post after watching an open training session that Young was training in a small group that included Lipper, Richards and Greene. The possible conclusion I drew at the time was him training with our more acknowledged forwards and therefore maybe moving forward in 2019(?). In retrospect, the training drill may have had him as the 'defensive' component of the drill instead. I think it might be a case of 'watch this space' over the pre-season re Young.

ratsmac
18-12-2018, 12:24 AM
I think Libba is in for a big year. He looks in great shape and by all reports he is working hard on the track (hence his great shape). He was super important in 2016 which was the following year from doing his knee. If that is any indication of how he might respond from this knee reco then it's a good sign.

I also think the Bont is due for a big year. Again, after 2016 finals series, especially against Hawthorn when he made Hodge look too old and too slow, I thought the Bont would be rated the number 1 player in the comp by now, but he has plateaud and even regressed a little. The good thing is he's still a pup but should be on the verge of a big season with natural maturity and games experience. He done a mini boot camp with Dunks in the States over his break which shows commitment and determination to be fitter and hopefully better.

I have chosen some low hanging fruit so to speak but Libba and Bont are two that are in for a big 2019 IMO.

Mofra
18-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Bont & Dunks had a solid pre-pre-season and both look set to start 2019 the way they finished 2018.

Schache leading all the running drills for the big blokes apparently.

westbulldog
18-12-2018, 12:50 PM
Lynch and Young

lemmon
18-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Bont. He's battled a bit over the last few seasons - next year's the one he dominates.

Avoid the rush
18-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Got a feeling about Williams on ball. He is skillful, brave and quick. Also Gowers doesn't need to improve that much to be elite!!!

Rocket Science
18-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Hopefully the answer's *plenty* if we're to climb back up the ranks ... but given the faith the club's put in him I've a funny feeling English might make a few clubs and their supporters stop and think jeez, why didn't *we* scoop him up before pick #19 ...

AshMac
18-12-2018, 06:55 PM
We don't have a lot of depth for KP defenders so if he can get a bit of a role and make the most of his chances he could take a step forward. The thing about Young is that he is a good intercept mark and that he is very quick for his size and these are traits KP defenders require. If he can add another 10 games to his tally in 2019 I think it would be regarded as a very good season for him

Thanks mate, had really high hopes for young end of 2017 but feel there is something lacking for him to not play this year given our injuries. Hope I’m wrong, agree if he can use his intercept marking, keep his pace and add strength to lock down he could be a real player.

Also - noticed you mentioned “Smith fully fit” in this thread. Is he injured?

hujsh
18-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks mate, had really high hopes for young end of 2017 but feel there is something lacking for him to not play this year given our injuries. Hope I’m wrong, agree if he can use his intercept marking, keep his pace and add strength to lock down he could be a real player.

Recovering from an Achilles injury from late in the season

GVGjr
18-12-2018, 07:57 PM

As Hujsh mentioned, Smith has an Achilles injury that has delayed his start

Ghost Dog
18-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Tom Boyd. No more Bullies to worry about. Going to kill it this season. Will be the power forward we all hoped he would be with stints in the ruck. Fly!

Torpedo
20-12-2018, 10:18 PM
I'm hoping that Bailey Williams completes the transition into the midfield and starts to show the competition how good he can be. He has slowly built his reputation in last 2 seasons. We know from his underage years that he can be a ball magnet, has good skills and shows great determination. Love his attitude, skills, vision and now I think he is ready to really move to the next level.

Perfect Bevo player - can play back, forward and midfield. That goal he scored against 2 players in the goal square ( can't remember which team) was a great example of his determination, grit and skill. Really looking forward to seeing him develop into a special player in 2019.

chef
21-12-2018, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping that Bailey Williams completes the transition into the midfield and starts to show the competition how good he can be. He has slowly built his reputation in last 2 seasons. We know from his underage years that he can be a ball magnet, has good skills and shows great determination. Love his attitude, skills, vision and now I think he is ready to really move to the next level.

Perfect Bevo player - can play back, forward and midfield. That goal he scored against 2 players in the goal square ( can't remember which team) was a great example of his determination, grit and skill. Really looking forward to seeing him develop into a special player in 2019.

Scary that he's going to be uncontracted at the end of next season. Sign him up.

LostDoggy
22-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Bailey Williams for me. He showed so much last year in back line & midfield and then got the injury. In for a huge year if stays fit.

GVGjr
22-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Bailey Williams for me. He showed so much last year in back line & midfield and then got the injury. In for a huge year if stays fit.

He looks fit to me so I agree he is well positioned for a strong 2019 season.
I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of a number of our younger players taking another step forward in 2019.

Jam Donuts
22-12-2018, 03:32 PM
He looks fit to me so I agree he is well positioned for a strong 2019 season.
I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of a number of our younger players taking another step forward in 2019.
I have to agree with Bailey Williams, he will be an absolute gun, as a side thought, how good will the intra club games be to watch this year, we have some genuine talent ready to go.