PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne FC

GVGjr
23-12-2018, 03:16 AM
With the high profiled additions of Lever and May I'm interested to know the reasons why Melbourne have come from out of nowhere to become a destination club? We made a play for both players and yet were never really in the hunt for their services. Have they just been a lot more proactive with their focus for the trades and getting the jump on other clubs like ours or is there another reason why players are preferring them?

Go_Dogs
23-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Location and perception they're and up and coming team.

They paid through the nose for Lever and they lost the "generational" key forward Hogan. Not sure they're a destination club yet, but they sure are more attractive than us at the moment.

Bulldog Joe
23-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Perhaps they have just targeted the individuals and been very good at selling the dream.

However, they have attracted 2 players who are seen as quality, that both play in the backline.

Does that make them a destination club? What has it done to their salary cap?

GVGjr
23-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Perhaps they have just targeted the individuals and been very good at selling the dream.

However, they have attracted 2 players who are seen as quality, that both play in the backline.

Does that make them a destination club? What has it done to their salary cap?

That interests me, are they doing something a bit different in selling how good of a club they potentially might be?

Twodogs
23-12-2018, 12:00 PM
It's the AFL. For whatever reason the AFL are hellbent on making Melbourne a big club. They have been sourcing and paying for "quality" people like Roos, Goodwin, Jackson and now Pert on behalf of Melbourne FC for a few years now. If I were a player manager then I would be pushing my players to the AFL annointed club too. You know they are going to pay more than other clubs and that money is also guaranteed (and I wouldn't be suprised if the Cowboys that run the AFL were augmenting those contracts with a bit of extra cash as well) by City Hall.

That's what I think anyway.

GVGjr
23-12-2018, 12:06 PM
You might be right TD but the players are still wanting to go there as their preference which will make it easier for them in future negotiations.
They've drafted well, traded for needs and built a strong list which on top of improved off field results sets them up well for the future.

Doc26
23-12-2018, 01:08 PM
It’s an interesting question as Melbourne have been a basket case for so long. I do tend to look at these things in comparison to us. Off the back of 2016 we should’ve been set up beautifully but our 2017 season on and off field became a mess, maybe not financially but as a Club we derailed ourselves in the way we managed situations, and are now fighting our way back.

I do hope that we have addressed some key management voids in Football Operations and Performance, and in Marketing and Communications, and that the individuals overseeing these areas have the skills, wisdom and autonomy to perform at an elite level.

boydogs
23-12-2018, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about Lever & May, our backline is elite relative to our forward line

Lynch & Wingard are the ones that would have helped us

Twodogs
23-12-2018, 07:24 PM
You might be right TD but the players are still wanting to go there as their preference which will make it easier for them in future negotiations.
They've drafted well, traded for needs and built a strong list which on top of improved off field results sets them up well for the future.

Have they recruited for needs? I don't think they have. From my POV they have picked up players they don't really need (did they need another key defender this trade period or did they get May because he's a 'name' player?) They are already talking about playing him in the forward line and if they are going to do that then why didn't they just keep the "once in a generation" talent they were gifted in the first place?

To be brutally honest with all the help they have gotten off City Hall they should have had much better onfield results over the last two years. They are a lazy, complacent and entitled club that will never go anywhere until they learn to stand on their own two feet and stop looking for leg ups from the AFL commission every time they are faced with a challenge.

That's what I think anyway. As a matter of interest I was walking out of the ground looking filthy after they had beaten us recently. A Melbourne supporter said to me "cheer up mate, you won a premiership and I would give anything to change spots with you!":cool:

Twodogs
23-12-2018, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about Lever & May, our backline is elite relative to our forward line

Lynch & Wingard are the ones that would have helped us

Thinking about it I think that Wingard would have just taken the troublesome but talented place that Stringer took on the list. If we'd really wanted him then we would have offered up more than next year's first rounder for him. Lynch would have been sensational but im happy for Boyd and Schasche to develop, I think we are OK for key forwards and they will peak when we come good as a team.

Remi Moses
23-12-2018, 09:54 PM
It’s interesting
We’ve only linked ourselves to Wingard
Media have linked us to May and Lever, and May publicly stated he’d go anywhere in Victoria.
They’re on the up , as they should be after about 5 rebuilds, tanking, and handed a coach and CEO by the league.
Plus the priority pick, and the over compensation for Frawley and Scully

ratsmac
24-12-2018, 09:53 AM
It’s interesting
We’ve only linked ourselves to Wingard
Media have linked us to May and Lever, and May publicly stated he’d go anywhere in Victoria.
They’re on the up , as they should be after about 5 rebuilds, tanking, and handed a coach and CEO by the league.
Plus the priority pick, and the over compensation for Frawley and Scully

All true and totally unfair that the league gave them handouts in that manner. And I'm still filthy that they got 2 fkn unprecedented first round picks for Scully while we got just 1 (and rightly so as it should of been for everyone) for Ward their walk up captain and most important player for the next 10 years.

Anyway, it certainly is puzzling why they have been more of a destination club than us for sure. Their list however is well positioned across all lines and does look very appealing for potential suitors. Although Hogan is a huge loss and does dampen that appeal slightly IMO. Players of his talent don't come around too often BUT they did finish the season strongly without him so they can cover him.

What is really bizzare that they seem to be more destination than we are is their non existent facilities. And the facilities they do use most of the time are up shit creek in Casey (no offence intended for anyone from that way, but it is a fair drive).

They ought to be a premiership fav in 2019 with that list and if they don't win the flag in the next coupled years is a failure is how I see it.

We on the other hand have built a decent list with no charity from city hall and when we start pushing for the 8 again (which I believe will be 2019) we will be attractive for potential star talent. We are flying off field now and the forecast looks very promising as well. Who wouldn't want to play for the Bulldogs...I for one would!

bornadog
24-12-2018, 02:25 PM
What is really bizzare that they seem to be more destination than we are is their non existent facilities. And the facilities they do use most of the time are up shit creek in Casey (no offence intended for anyone from that way, but it is a fair drive).

Melbourne has put forward a plan to build a training centre over the railway at Jolimont and also take up some of the parkland for an oval. I live across the road and am not too happy about this. However, the East Melbourne Group and been active and have the backing of Martin Pakula to stop the development. They can stay in Casey for all I care. :D

ReLoad
27-12-2018, 01:51 PM
The real winner in Melbournes trading was Freo. Getting Hogan was mission critical for them, since Pav left they have not recruited well in the forwards department.

All Melbourne has to happen is an injury to McDonald and they are in a world of hurt.

Twodogs
27-12-2018, 05:57 PM
The real winner in Melbournes trading was Freo. Getting Hogan was mission critical for them, since Pav left they have not recruited well in the forwards department.

All Melbourne has to happen is an injury to McDonald and they are in a world of hurt.

Or McDonald has an ordinary season. I still can't have this "Melbourne will have a successful season because, umm, well surely they are due to have a successful season" it just doesn't work like that.

Testekill
30-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Melbourne are an attractive target thanks to the AFL doing hardcore image rehabilitation on their behalf.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Bruce Duperouzel's recruitment was the last time we were even close to a destination club. That's the real issue. However it feels better, more authentic to grow our own greats.
Melbourne has had such help from AFL that you'd suspect thats the case with their latest recruits. Plus Melbourne to me still have glamour because they are tthe capital's team and had a proud history until most of us were born. My father played reserves with them and died in '64, so he missrd their ugly slide to irrelevence. In his memory I hope they win one soon.

Bulldog Joe
11-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Bruce Duperouzel's recruitment was the last time we were even close to a destination club. That's the real issue. However it feels better, more authentic to grow our own greats.
Melbourne has had such help from AFL that you'd suspect thats the case with their latest recruits. Plus Melbourne to me still have glamour because they are tthe capital's team and had a proud history until most of us were born. My father played reserves with them and died in '64, so he missrd their ugly slide to irrelevence. In his memory I hope they win one soon.

With all due respect to your Dad, I can not hope Melbourne (or anyone else) win a flag.

Every one they win is one we miss out on.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-01-2019, 06:37 PM
With all due respect to your Dad, I can not hope Melbourne (or anyone else) win a flag.

Every one they win is one we miss out on.
Only if we're not in it....

Go_Dogs
12-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Bernie Vince's comments about May were interesting...bit of a dig at the standards of GC in previous pre-seasons. He was also a huge wrap for Tom Sparrow who I'm looking forward to seeing in action.

I'm not convinced on Melbourne as a genuine premiership contender yet, but they've got a solid midfield, the games best ruck and reliable key position players at both ends. If a couple of their midfielders make the leap to elite they'll be a tough side to beat.

Twodogs
11-01-2021, 12:45 PM
A third coaches marriage is rumoured to have broken up. Andy Goodwin is apparently splitting up with his wife.

Axe Man
11-01-2021, 05:32 PM
A third coaches marriage is rumoured to have broken up. Andy Goodwin is apparently splitting up with his wife.

I'm sure Andy is shocked to learn of this considering it's Simon who has separated from his wife.;)

bornadog
11-01-2021, 06:05 PM
I'm sure Andy is shocked to learn of this considering it's Simon who has separated from his wife.;)

Maybe Andy is having it off with Simon's missus :D

Twodogs
12-01-2021, 08:50 PM

Maybe Andy is having it off with Simon's missus :D

No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.

Then Howie survived?

No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day

Over Macho Grande?

No. I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande.

jeemak
12-01-2021, 09:06 PM
No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.

Then Howie survived?

No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day

Over Macho Grande?

No. I don't think I will ever get over Macho Grande.

Brilliant.

Dry Rot
13-01-2021, 10:56 PM
A third coaches marriage is rumoured to have broken up. Simon Goodwin is apparently splitting up with his wife.

My mail is that Mrs Goodwin could not face watching another season of the Demons.

Fair enough. That would be cruelty under the old grounds of divorce.

jeemak
13-01-2021, 11:01 PM
My mail is that Mrs Goodwin could not face watching another season of the Demons.

Oh snigger snigger you cheeky devil!

Twodogs
13-01-2021, 11:25 PM

1959 Dissolution of Marriage act also mentioned unsoundness of mind too. It set a time frame of 3 out of 5 years. How long has Goodwin been coaching Melbourne now?

Axe Man
26-05-2021, 12:08 PM
HIT AND HOPE: DEES CRYING OUT FOR WHAT DOGS HAVE (https://footyology.com.au/hit-and-hope-dees-crying-out-for-what-dogs-have/?fbclid=IwAR3jqaW9qn8NWsxBrya81xmFs2ggzm4jMNtPMzstCZdoC9QDjF eBqHLJRTg)

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs simultaneously endured decades without success, defined by abject failure on the field with a smattering of near misses, and existential threats off it.

Rare finals appearances were accompanied by heartbreak and tears, from the late Jim Stynes’ infamous run through the mark to Tony Liberatore’s premature celebration and Rohan Smith’s slapping of the MCG turf.

When the Bulldogs finally broke the cycle and claimed a fairytale flag five years ago, they left Melbourne with the competition’s longest active premiership drought.

As well as the coveted piece of silverware now in their possession, they’ve long had something else the Demons have craved – a home.

In an age where clubs are run like businesses and fans are effectively seen as consumers, a stroll down Sutton Way past the Ted Whitten statue into the ground that now bears the latter legend’s name can offer a window to the past.

More so than any of their Victorian rivals’ headquarters, the Bulldogs’ long-time base gives off a real “football club” vibe. It has a soul that you can not only reach out and touch, but choose to be at the very heart of on a daily basis – and is accessible to all supporters.

The club formerly known as Footscray, blue-collar to the core, is one that doesn’t let anyone forget where it’s come from or what it’s been through. Tins that were rattled by desperate fundraisers in 1989 sit proudly on display in the entrance, next to a mock Fitzroy Bulldogs merger jumper and stickers emblazoned with the “Up Yours Oakley” rally cry.

There are tributes to the club’s Indigenous history and fallen war heroes, and displays of quirky memorabilia, from old gym bags and membership tickets to pairs of players’ boots and homemade scarves. A quick trip from the aptly named Barkers Cafe to the merchandise store – where you can still buy used Sherrin footballs that the AFL team has kindly kicked in – can take half an hour if you get stuck reading about the early 20th century animosity between arch rivals Footscray and Williamstown.

A trophy cabinet that could look almost barren is, in fact, in need of more shelves. The litany of prizes from minor successes might not scream “power club”, but displays a sense of pride in the club’s history. The men’s 1954 VFL and 2016 AFL premiership cups sit prominently, flanking the women’s 2018 AFLW version, which is displayed boldly in the middle.

The playing arena is now mostly green, rather than covered in Western Oval mud, yet, in keeping with its surroundings, it’s still a little rough around the edges. Looking over it, the old EJ Whitten Stand also bears the names of former Bulldog champions Allan Hopkins, Norman Ware, Arthur Olliver, Charlie Sutton and John Schultz. On AFLW match days, the stand is buzzing and the red-and-blue benches filled with fans young and old.

Supporters, families, community groups, university students, club staff, players (past and present) and other visitors gather daily in the cafe and mingle. On October 2, 2016 – the day after the Bulldogs completed their famous climb from seventh to premiers with a grand final triumph over Sydney – an estimated 30,000 fans piled into Whitten Oval to continue the celebrations after the previous night’s party on Barkly Street.

If Melbourne was to win the flag this year – assuming September’s COVID-19 restrictions allowed them to gather – where would be the Demon fans’ natural meeting place? Outside the MCG? Gosch’s Paddock? AAMI Park? Fifty kilometres away at Casey Fields?

Melbourne currently has its football department and administration split between those four locations, and it has been a similar story for decades. In the ‘90s, the Demons had a share of facilities at the MCG, St Kilda’s Junction Oval and a social club at Sandringham. The spread was part of the reason a merger with Glenferrie Oval-based Hawthorn was considered attractive by so many members.

More recently, the Melbourne board tried to address the issue and turn the Demons into a “big club” with first-class facilities under one roof.

A plan to claim part of Yarra Park for a base next to the MCG and Jolimont Station was shut down by angry locals and the state government in 2018. Other sites at Fisherman’s Bend and Burnley were also considered, but none came to fruition.

The Demons could feasibly build a brand new facility at Casey Fields, as Essendon have done at Tullamarine and Hawthorn are in the process of erecting at Dingley. But their sights are firmly set on an inner-city location, with a decision supposedly set to be made by 2023.

Melbourne, Australian football’s oldest club, has a rich history, legends and a long-suffering, yet dedicated, supporter base. It doesn’t lack soul or a story. It just doesn’t have its own space in which to tell it and add the next chapter.

Fortunately for Simon Goodwin’s men and the aforementioned fans, that doesn’t preclude winning that elusive premiership this season. But there are other hurdles to overcome in that pursuit, such as the Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium this Friday night.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2021, 06:56 PM
Lost to Adelaide in Adelaide (bottom 4 at the time)

Lost to Woods in Sydney (bottom 4 team)

Questions about travel? Not invincible.

Games to come in Port, GCS, WCE & Geelong.

Sedat
14-06-2021, 07:09 PM

We played dumb footy against them. Need to hunt Oliver and Petracca and punish them physically at every opportunity - ditto Gawn. Also need to spot up the short targets inside F50 to take their intercept marks out of the equation.

They are an excellent team but not infallible.

comrade
14-06-2021, 07:10 PM
We played dumb footy against them. Need to hunt Oliver and Petracca and punish them physically at every opportunity - ditto Gawn. Also need to spot up the short targets inside F50 to take their intercept marks out of the equation.

They are an excellent team but not infallible.

Gawn was shaded by Max Lynch in the ruck today, have to get physical with him.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-06-2021, 07:12 PM
Gawn was shaded by Max Lynch in the ruck today, have to get physical with him.

They’re similar to us. Get physical and their game drops away. We decided to do the opposite when we played them. Very similar to the elimination final last year against the saints. Show a bit of physicality and intensity and the result may have changed.

Sedat
14-06-2021, 07:14 PM
They’re similar to us. Get physical and their game drops away. We decided to do the opposite when we played them. Very similar to the elimination final last year against the saints. Show a bit of physicality and intensity and the result may have changed.
They shopped early against us with Libba and it was very effective. Oppo teams need to do the same on their big guns in the middle - they didn't like it today.

azabob
14-06-2021, 07:17 PM
My concern is we are not naturally a physical or aggressive team.

GVGjr
14-06-2021, 07:43 PM

There might be something too that BT but it's a good competition and closer than many people think. You only have to be a bit off your game and you will struggle to win.

It's shaping up as a packed leader board.

Scraggers
14-06-2021, 07:46 PM

If it bleeds we can kill it !!

bornadog
14-06-2021, 08:02 PM
My concern is we are not naturally a physical or aggressive team.

How do you define physicality and aggression the way football is played now?

We already are an aggressive team winning clearances, stoppages and top 3 in contested possessions.

Both games we have lost was due to not counter acting with a strategy when Libba was beaten. We missed Dunnkley badly and need a plan b when Libba isn't clearing the ball.

comrade
14-06-2021, 08:07 PM
Dunkley to Oliver next time. Give that pig faced git one hell of a night :D

bornadog
14-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Dunkley to Oliver next time. Give that pig faced git one hell of a night :D

Hopefully back then

comrade
14-06-2021, 08:15 PM
Hopefully back then

Reckon he's every chance.

ratsmac
14-06-2021, 08:30 PM
Reckon he's every chance.

Yeah Dunks will get back earlier than expected I reckon. He'll will himself to heal!

EasternWest
14-06-2021, 08:36 PM
Yeah Dunks will get back earlier than expected I reckon. He'll will himself to heal!

Not with his questionable character and commitment.

comrade
14-06-2021, 10:44 PM
That was the first time this year that the bad traits of Melbourne from years past reared its head. Low pressure (Spargo, ANB and Pickett had 4 tackles between them), lax defending across the ground and particularly through the corridor, their inside mids reverted back to being like bees to a honeypot and forgot about their opposition on the outside and they just torched the ball by hand (Pendles had an insane amount of intercept possession for a midfielder).

Oliver and Petracca both had their worst games for the year.

I thought as a club they had stamped out these behaviours but they're still lying dormant if today's performance is anything to go by.

Oh, and one last thing...

Weightman > Pickett :D

jeemak
14-06-2021, 11:09 PM
Folks have put Pickett into their mid season All Australian team, and while I know Cody's only played four games this year his numbers in those four games compare quite well with Pickett's:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=6732&pid2=6738&fid1=S&fid2=S

Dry Rot
15-06-2021, 12:36 AM
That was the first time this year that the bad traits of Melbourne from years past reared its head. Low pressure (Spargo, ANB and Pickett had 4 tackles between them), lax defending across the ground and particularly through the corridor, their inside mids reverted back to being like bees to a honeypot and forgot about their opposition on the outside and they just torched the ball by hand (Pendles had an insane amount of intercept possession for a midfielder).

Oliver and Petracca both had their worst games for the year.

I thought as a club they had stamped out these behaviours but they're still lying dormant if today's performance is anything to go by.

Interesting, insightful post.

What did the Crows do to beat them?

comrade
15-06-2021, 08:34 AM
Interesting, insightful post.

What did the Crows do to beat them?

I haven't seen that one besides the last few minutes but from the post match analysis, it seemed like Adelaide were really effective going forward by hitting up short targets and kicking goals from further out than teams usually do. Similar to how Sydney broke down Richmond.

For Melbourne, the Adelaide loss was probably an unlucky one where both sides played well but they were just on the wrong side of the ledger. Yesterday, they were comprehensibly beaten all day and the final margin flattered them. I'd imagine there would be some red lights flashing internally after that sort of performance.

Happy Days
15-06-2021, 09:16 AM
I haven't seen that one besides the last few minutes but from the post match analysis, it seemed like Adelaide were really effective going forward by hitting up short targets and kicking goals from further out than teams usually do. Similar to how Sydney broke down Richmond.

For Melbourne, the Adelaide loss was probably an unlucky one where both sides played well but they were just on the wrong side of the ledger. Yesterday, they were comprehensibly beaten all day and the final margin flattered them. I'd imagine there would be some red lights flashing internally after that sort of performance.

Adelaide also took them on through the corridor and kinda lucked out in never being punished for it. An exciting and admirable effort but not something you can really seek to replicate.

jeemak
15-06-2021, 09:34 AM
The shape of the grounds may have a bit to do with how Melbourne were broken down.

You can spread the defence length wise well at Adelaide and transition into the corridor on the diagonal/ laterally. It doesn't seem like much, but a bit like at Geelong or the old Subiaco if you got it right transition can be quick and you can break a line.

The SCG is short, so if you manage to get it into the corridor you can break lines and get the ball deep really quickly. It's also wide enough to chip laterally and diagonally if you need to go slow between the arcs.

Grantysghost
15-06-2021, 11:32 AM
I really rate Viney as an out. It’s similar to Libba, Dunks for us. Shut down Oliver they don’t really have a really decent grunter in their current system.
Harmes/Brayshaw can play that role and they have a young guy whose name escapes me but Viney is a superb player IMO at ground level with contested ball.
Yesterday he was missed.

comrade
15-06-2021, 11:34 AM
I really rate Viney as an out. It’s similar to Libba, Dunks for us. Shut down Oliver they don’t really have a really decent grunter in their current system.
Harmes/Brayshaw can play that role and they have a young guy whose name escapes me but Viney is a superb player IMO at ground level with contested ball.
Yesterday he was missed.

He's a bit of a loss but he's a shocker when it comes to tunnel vision on the inside. Just gets sucked into the contest and leaves his opponent as an outlet. Harmes has been a very good replacement for him, they haven't lost much at all in production.

Grantysghost
15-06-2021, 11:46 AM
He's a bit of a loss but he's a shocker when it comes to tunnel vision on the inside. Just gets sucked into the contest and leaves his opponent as an outlet. Harmes has been a very good replacement for him, they haven't lost much at all in production.

It’s interesting I have a really high opinion of Viney and the opposite of Harmes. Whenever I see him play he seems the heartbeat of that team, and really set a standard of work rate in times when they had many one way runners. Maybe I’ve got an unconscious bias because I like that type of player but I’d have Viney any day and I thought he should’ve been their captain when they announced Gawn.

comrade
15-06-2021, 12:12 PM
It’s interesting I have a really high opinion of Viney and the opposite of Harmes. Whenever I see him play he seems the heartbeat of that team, and really set a standard of work rate in times when they had many one way runners. Maybe I’ve got an unconscious bias because I like that type of player but I’d have Viney any day and I thought he should’ve been their captain when they announced Gawn.

I like Viney but I'd rather him going head to head with Libba, than someone who will completely sacrifice his own game.

1eyedog
15-06-2021, 01:37 PM

I rate Viney. He offsets everything else they bring quite well. The only reason he wasn't made Captain is that he refused to sign a new contract at the time.

Scraggers
15-06-2021, 04:33 PM
I think the biggest difference between Melbourne 2021 and Bulldogs 2021 is the fact we are winning the games we are expected to win whereas Melbourne would have penciled their two losses in as win at the beginning of the season. They're having brain fades, we are playing more consistent football.

bornadog
15-06-2021, 04:39 PM
I think the biggest difference between Melbourne 2021 and Bulldogs 2021 is the fact we are winning the games we are expected to win whereas Melbourne would have penciled their two losses in as win at the beginning of the season. They're having brain fades, we are playing more consistent football.

In their 13 games, they have beaten Hawks by 50 points, but the rest of their wins have been around 30 points or under.

They haven't really put anyone away comprehensively, like we have.

comrade
15-06-2021, 05:49 PM
I would say Melbourne have easily played more bad quarters than we have, but have played well enough in their good quarters to win games. In fact, we haven't come close to playing as badly as Melbourne did yesterday, even in our loss to Melbourne (which was a shocker but was really 1 horrible quarter and a couple of average ones).

IMO, their ceiling isn't as high as ours and their floor is lower based on performances so far, they've just been able to get closer to their ceiling for long enough.

jeemak
15-06-2021, 06:23 PM
I would say Melbourne have easily played more bad quarters than we have, but have played well enough in their good quarters to win games. In fact, we haven't come close to playing as badly as Melbourne did yesterday, even in our loss to Melbourne (which was a shocker but was really 1 horrible quarter and a couple of average ones).

IMO, their ceiling isn't as high as ours and their floor is lower based on performances so far, they've just been able to get closer to their ceiling for long enough.

I don't think either Geelong or Richmond brought any substantial heat to their games against Melbourne either. Possibly easy for me to say and I might be biased, though neither seemed to be anywhere near the level they've been when at their best this year.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-06-2021, 06:28 PM
I don't think either Geelong or Richmond brought any substantial heat to their games against Melbourne either. Possibly easy for me to say and I might be biased, though neither seemed to be anywhere near the level they've been when at their best this year.

This was absolutely the case. Both were well down, as were we. I don’t want to knock Melbourne because they’re bloody good and may have won anyway but this was certainly the case.

jeemak
15-06-2021, 10:20 PM
This was absolutely the case. Both were well down, as were we. I don’t want to knock Melbourne because they’re bloody good and may have won anyway but this was certainly the case.

It's not really something the footy world wants to talk about, in lieu of some pretty powerful talking heads in the media landscape being MFC acolytes or ex-players.

comrade
05-07-2021, 04:34 PM
The Demons are all of a sudden a little wobbly after an average 3 weeks. They put such an emphasis on defence and leaving an extra back at all times, other clubs are now pushing their extra through the midfield and gaining an advantage. The maniacal team work rate seems to have dropped off, with Trac and Oliver getting a little selfish again.

Going to be interesting to see if it's just a short term slump.

Bulldog4life
05-07-2021, 04:36 PM
They can't decide on their forward line. McDonald is a bit hit and miss now after starting the season like a rocket. Brown out of favour...why did they get him? Time will tell.

1eyedog
05-07-2021, 04:53 PM
It's glorious that their decline has coincided with our rise.

Happy Days
05-07-2021, 05:36 PM
Ben Brown had 3 touches and 0.0 in the twos this weekend. I’m begging Dees to bring him in.

bornadog
05-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Ben Brown had 3 touches and 0.0 in the twos this weekend. I’m begging Dees to bring him in.

I wonder how Majak is going?

mjp
05-07-2021, 05:41 PM
It's glorious that their decline has coincided with our rise.

Every team has a bad few weeks...

Ozza
05-07-2021, 06:15 PM

Yeah - I think most teams that have a really strong season have a few weeks where they go flat. I think they are a really genuine contender and we'll see them play really good footy in the last 4-6 games of the season.

Extremely happy to be wrong.

GVGjr
05-07-2021, 06:24 PM
The Demons are all of a sudden a little wobbly after an average 3 weeks. They put such an emphasis on defence and leaving an extra back at all times, other clubs are now pushing their extra through the midfield and gaining an advantage. The maniacal team work rate seems to have dropped off, with Trac and Oliver getting a little selfish again.

Going to be interesting to see if it's just a short term slump.

It's the great part of this season, you can take nothing for granted. Lets hope they stutter and get some self doubt.

comrade
05-07-2021, 06:26 PM
Yeah - I think most teams that have a really strong season have a few weeks where they go flat. I think they are a really genuine contender and we'll see them play really good footy in the last 4-6 games of the season.

Extremely happy to be wrong.

I think they'll work it out and find a better balance between defence and attack. Thursday's game should be a cracker.

EasternWest
05-07-2021, 08:27 PM

Exactly this. It's way too soon to write them off.

hujsh
05-07-2021, 11:41 PM

Yeah exactly that. Let's just see how long it lasts before celebrating their demise

The Adelaide Connection
05-07-2021, 11:57 PM

I think this is true, but I wonder if this is more problematic for some teams than others.

Some clubs have proven to have a mentally fragile culture; likely owing to sustained, consistent awful. I would wager that the folks at Carlton and Melbourne sweat a little more than most when a bit of form goes out the window or a few “L’s” get chalked up in a row.

EasternWest
06-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Exactly this. It's way too soon to write them off.

Yeah exactly that. Let's just see how long it lasts before celebrating their demise

It's still plagiarism even if you change a few words.

1eyedog
06-07-2021, 10:46 AM

Maybe. The wolves will start baying if they lose to Port. They've dropped some bad games and have had a miracle run with injuries.

hujsh
06-07-2021, 11:12 AM
It's still plagiarism even if you change a few words.

I thought of it first I'm just too busy and important to write it out until 4 hours later.

Also I have a like so the market has spoken.

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2021, 11:12 AM
Maybe. The wolves will start baying if they lose to Port. They've dropped some bad games and have had a miracle run with injuries.

Port away is actually a big test for them. If they win they probably lock in top 2 and put the questions to bed.

Grantysghost
06-07-2021, 11:16 AM
I wonder if their form decline has coincided with coaches getting more accustomed to the stand rule and the reduction recently in the openness that created?
Mcdonald had an outstanding start with the ball coming in so fast, allowing him to use his athleticism to maximum advantage but now he seems to be getting caught in congestion and needs to push up the ground more.
Teams using a +1 at stoppages and counter acting the Lever advantage has really stifled their movement. Means Oliver getting a lot more attention also and he is pivotal for them.

If they can get back to the quicker ball movement we saw earlier from them they will still be a real threat come September considering their healthy list.
They do look a bit tired.

Topdog
06-07-2021, 12:42 PM
I'm so conflicted by the Dees, can never get a good read on them.

They are certainly down with 2 poor losses in 3 weeks and lets face it they were a bit lucky vs Essendon.

Run home is Port in Adelaide, Hawks, GC away, Bulldogs, Eagles in Perth, Adelaide and Geelong at GMHBA.

4 very hard matches left, if they split that or better they likely finish top 2. Lose 3 or 4 and they might not even come in the top 4.

Heck lose this week and they are 4th assuming Brisbane beat Saints.

Happy Days
06-07-2021, 12:48 PM
The Dees are really well drilled and disciplined, but my sudden hesitation over them is from the exact flaw that everyone saw coming playing out in the exact way as to dent their chances.

They cede numbers at stoppages to allow their structure to set up behind the ball, which is fine if your forwards can reliably score once the ball gets put into them off turnover, but they can’t. So in effect what they’re doing is taking away their ability to manufacture goals from stoppages in order to generate movement from behind the play, only to waste those possession chains on a forward line that can’t do anything.

Ben Brown is not the answer, McDonald has reverted to the mean and Pickett has been struggling for weeks. I don’t think they have the personnel to turn it around without totally ruining their structure and therefore their main strength.

EasternWest
06-07-2021, 12:49 PM
I thought of it first I'm just too busy and important to write it out until 4 hours later.

Also I have a like so the market has spoken.

I'm gonna have a word to that idiot that gave you a like.

Twodogs
06-07-2021, 02:01 PM
I'm gonna have a word to that idiot that gave you a like.

Are you looking at me? I don't see anyone else here

Mantis
06-07-2021, 02:16 PM

When will we have ours?

Maybe it was the 2nd half vs Richmond & 1st half vs Carlton?

comrade
06-07-2021, 02:19 PM
When will we have ours?

If Richmond and Carlton were our down weeks, I'll take that!

hujsh
06-07-2021, 03:59 PM
When will we have ours?

Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne were in a 5 week block but that also included our win against Port over there and the smashing of St.Kilda in between.

1eyedog
06-07-2021, 04:15 PM
Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne were in a 5 week block but that also included our win against Port over there and the smashing of St.Kilda in between.

We don't do bad weeks we do bad quarters.

Ozza
06-07-2021, 11:16 PM
I think they'll work it out and find a better balance between defence and attack. Thursday's game should be a cracker.

In a typical overreaction, Port are favourites this week.... Port have still beaten nobody in the 8 apart from a close home win v Sydney - and Melbourne's game has stacked up against every top 8 side.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 12:12 AM
The Dees are really well drilled and disciplined, but my sudden hesitation over them is from the exact flaw that everyone saw coming playing out in the exact way as to dent their chances.

They cede numbers at stoppages to allow their structure to set up behind the ball, which is fine if your forwards can reliably score once the ball gets put into them off turnover, but they can’t. So in effect what they’re doing is taking away their ability to manufacture goals from stoppages in order to generate movement from behind the play, only to waste those possession chains on a forward line that can’t do anything.

Ben Brown is not the answer, McDonald has reverted to the mean and Pickett has been struggling for weeks. I don’t think they have the personnel to turn it around without totally ruining their structure and therefore their main strength.

Good analysis HD.

Melbourne are relying on their backline setup, and forcing turnovers so they can score. So far all their wins have been 5 goals or under, except a 50 point against the Hawks. They are doing just enough to win. No major injuries to date, but if Lever or May go down, there could be some trouble.

Topdog
07-07-2021, 07:00 AM
In a typical overreaction, Port are favourites this week.... Port have still beaten nobody in the 8 apart from a close home win v Sydney - and Melbourne's game has stacked up against every top 8 side.

It's 2nd vs 4th. 4th is at home and 2nd has been poor for 3 weeks. Odds reflect reality here, likely to be a close game

Ozza
07-07-2021, 09:16 AM
It's 2nd vs 4th. 4th is at home and 2nd has been poor for 3 weeks. Odds reflect reality here, likely to be a close game

Melbourne are great value at $2.10.

Mantis
07-07-2021, 10:00 AM
Melbourne are great value at $2.10.

Maybe.

Port have really struggled to contain the big forwards of the top 4-6 teams, but not sure Melb have the firepower to expose them.

Sets up as a line-ball game.

1eyedog
07-07-2021, 10:18 AM
Port get Butters back this week. He's a good player.

mjp
07-07-2021, 10:28 AM
I wonder if their form decline has coincided with coaches getting more accustomed to the stand rule and the reduction recently in the openness that created?

I don't disagree...BUT.

The umpires are not officiating it in the same way. Not even close. They call play on so quickly now that the additional run/space that was been created earlier in the year has been largely eradicated...

I still insist it is a stupid rule but if they are going to have it, umpire it. Don't half set it up then call play-on. And the extra scoring early in the year...well, that's gone as well!

bulldogsthru&thru
07-07-2021, 10:32 AM
The hype each year around high scoring early in the season only for the frustration of low scoring as the season goes on is as predictable each year as Christmas Day falling on December 25.

Grantysghost
07-07-2021, 11:03 AM
I don't disagree...BUT.

The umpires are not officiating it in the same way. Not even close. They call play on so quickly now that the additional run/space that was been created earlier in the year has been largely eradicated...

I still insist it is a stupid rule but if they are going to have it, umpire it. Don't half set it up then call play-on. And the extra scoring early in the year...well, that's gone as well!

It's quite stark the change isn't it. Almost as soon as the player moves now it's play on and the defender is anticipating it.

Wonder why? It's either a watering down derived from some feedback (coaches?) or just too hard to adjudicate or take your pick I guess.

There was an article in the fairfax papers this week re this : https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/scoring-down-congestion-up-as-afl-season-goes-on-20210705-p586zc.html

They probably wrote it at the start of the season and just had to populate the data for the charts.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 11:20 AM
So what they're saying is that some stats have rebounded from 2020 because quarters are longer again.

Great stuff.

The Adelaide Connection
07-07-2021, 04:55 PM
I am looking forward to heading along to the Port v Dees on Thursday. Should be a cracker and I think it’s a win-win for us, with maybe a Port win being slightly more favourable.

bornadog
07-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Brown is going to come in a FF

ratsmac
07-07-2021, 06:48 PM
I don't disagree...BUT.

Your right it's a stupid rule. For it to work how they want they need to make the man on the mark off side. He can only get back involved in the play when the player with the ball disposes of it.

Hotdog60
07-07-2021, 06:49 PM
Your right it's a stupid rule. For it to work how they want they need to make the man on the mark off side. He can only get back involved in the play when the player with the ball disposes of it.

Wash your mouth out with an off side rule in Footy. :)

ratsmac
07-07-2021, 06:54 PM
Wash your mouth out with an off side rule in Footy. :)

I know I know but don't blame me blame the stupid rule!

bornadog
07-07-2021, 10:20 PM

The thing is the rule change just changes footy and makes it different. With the Stand rule, the players look stupid just standing there while the player with the ball just runs around.

jeemak
07-07-2021, 10:47 PM
The thing is the rule change just changes footy and makes it different. With the Stand rule, the players look stupid just standing there while the player with the ball just runs around.

They're peeling off more if they think they're not going to impact a contest and making it hard for an umpire to determine who should be standing the mark as well, and now because of that we're seeing numbers behind the ball again. If it's a free kick on the ground it's a bit different, and one might argue this is where the congestion is likely to start from.

Now if a player infringes perhaps they should be taken out of play and made to stand. If they get beaten in a marking contest normal rules apply, they just can't impede the player with the ball. It'll be netball quick smart!

Ozza
08-07-2021, 11:13 PM
In completely unsurprisingly news- Port are no good and don’t perform against good sides.
Melbourne are a good side.

Port stink of a team that finishes 5th, beats up 8th and then loses badly in week 2.