PDA

View Full Version : Did the Mitchell news remind anyone...

mjp
12-01-2019, 02:44 PM
...of a long ago, pre-season (before Christmas in fact) Bulldogs injury?

Who can remember?
Who can remember how they felt?

Not a Hawks fan in anyway, but somehow injuries when you are in the midst of such a ‘hopeful’ time feels bad, bad, bad.

The Adelaide Connection
12-01-2019, 03:11 PM
...of a long ago, pre-season (before Christmas in fact) Bulldogs injury?

Who can remember?
Who can remember how they felt?

Not a Hawks fan in anyway, but somehow injuries when you are in the midst of such a ‘hopeful’ time feels bad, bad, bad.

Hearing about it and the reports of the green whistle gave me flashbacks to Wallis screaming in the rooms.

chef
12-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Darcy?

Doc26
12-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Darcy?

That’s the one that comes to my mind. It was his 2nd knee rupture, pre Christmas in pre-season training.

Templeton ruptured knee ligaments in a pre-season game as did young Libba more recently with his first ACL (although not pre-Christmas)

boydogs
12-01-2019, 05:00 PM
Thought you were going to say Stringer

Twodogs
12-01-2019, 07:25 PM
It was Darce and I reckon it was Rocket's first year, that would make it 2006? It was a blazing hot day and the last day of preseason before the Christmas break and Darce and Johnno were competing to be chosen s captain. I remember a poster here saying "why didn't Rocket just say "nah, it's too hot boys to train today we just give it a miss and head down to the Buckingham for a breakup"

Johnno got the captaincy and went on to be the AA captain that year.

Bulldog Joe
12-01-2019, 07:52 PM
It was Darce and I reckon it was Rocket's first year, that would make it 2006? It was a blazing hot day and the last day of preseason before the Christmas break and Darce and Johnno were competing to be chosen s captain. I remember a poster here saying "why didn't Rocket just say "nah, it's too hot boys to train today we just give it a miss and head down to the Buckingham for a breakup"

Johnno got the captaincy and went on to be the AA captain that year.

Actually Darcy did his first knee at Geelong in 2005. That was Rockets first season and the week after a fantastic win against Adelaide in Chris Grant's 300th.
So 2006 pre-season would be the 2nd knee.

Twodogs
12-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Actually Darcy did his first knee at Geelong in 2005. That was Rockets first season and the week after a fantastic win against Adelaide in Chris Grant's 300th.

Was the Adelaide game the one where Cooney dominated the last quarter? He was running into clearances and bounces and throw ins and taking the ball away and kicking goals virtually at will. Or was that against Brisbane?

hujsh
12-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Was the Adelaide game the one where Cooney dominated the last quarter? He was running into clearances and bounces and throw ins and taking the ball away and kicking goals virtually at will. Or was that against Brisbane?

That year was against Brisbane. There was a great game he played against Adelaide in 2008 IIIRC with a nice haul of goals and 30+ touches.

The Adelaide game had Darcy kick 6 goals and look like the answer to our tall forward problem

Go_Dogs
12-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Darce was on the threshold of becoming an all time great. He'd dominate the ruck and was a super efficient and damaging forward. That injury hurt a lot. He never reached the heights he seemed possible of after that.

Twodogs
13-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Darce was on the threshold of becoming an all time great. He'd dominate the ruck and was a super efficient and damaging forward. That injury hurt a lot. He never reached the heights he seemed possible of after that.

They changed the rules to curb how he affected games. He'd just waltz into the ruck contes, take the ball out of the air and run down the ground while the opposition ruckman stood and watched.

bornadog
13-01-2019, 11:28 AM
They changed the rules to curb how he affected games. He'd just waltz into the ruck contes, take the ball out of the air and run down the ground while the opposition ruckman stood and watched.

Why that rule was changed is beyond me. What is wrong with doing what he did? Seems every time we perfect something, the AFL change the rule. Another example is third man up.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Why that rule was changed is beyond me. What is wrong with doing what he did? Seems every time we perfect something, the AFL change the rule. Another example is third man up.

And the flick pass and in 2017 a harsher interpretation on handballing and making players responsible for being tackled around the neck if they went in low.

Mofra
14-01-2019, 10:03 AM
I actually first thought of Grant when I read the OP. Gia later talked of how 'the arse fell out of the place' when Grant went down and we had a shocking year.

craigsahibee
14-01-2019, 01:18 PM

Pretty sure the Adelaide game was the debut of Dale Morris.

Twodogs
14-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Add the changes to the F/S rule that saw us miss out on players like the Reid brothers altogether and players like Tom Libba and Mitch Wallis at the discount other clubs got their F/S selections at (im looking at you Geelong). The AFL love to bully someone and we refuse to stand up for ourselves so that enables them to do it. Do you reckon Collingwood or Essendon would let the AFL push them around?

Bulldog Joe
14-01-2019, 02:14 PM

It was indeed

chef
14-01-2019, 06:08 PM
And handled Andrew Macleod like a seasoned pro.

Go_Dogs
14-01-2019, 08:24 PM
And handled Andrew Macleod like a seasoned pro.

Was that before or after he towelled up Roo? I always get the order confused.