PDA

View Full Version : Injury List - 2019

Pages : [1] 2

bornadog
13-01-2019, 11:58 AM
This thread is to discuss injuries to players for the 2019 season. Hopefully we have some better luck than the previous few seasons.

Post all known injuries and news.

Note: Mods, please pin thread.

bornadog
13-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Not much news has come out over summer.

JJ had hip surgery and is now recovering.

LostDoggy
13-01-2019, 11:03 PM
Good news so far, can we skip the preseason competition?

bornadog
15-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Smith Achilles report:

Smith edging closer to full fitness

Western Bulldogs draftee Bailey Smith is hopeful a long stint on the sidelines with Achilles issues won't hinder his chances for an early season AFL debut.
The midfielder was selected at pick No.7 last year by the Dogs despite missing the end part of the season with Achilles issues.
The injury also saw him ruled out for the NAB AFL Draft Combine and has meant the former Sandringham Dragon has had to watch most of the Dogs' pre-season from the sidelines.

Smith, who turned 18 in December, said it had been a challenge to observe since arriving at Whitten Oval.
"Towards the end of the month or in early February I'll be in full training. It's frustrating. It's been a pain and been pretty lonely at times doing my rehab," Smith told AFL.com.au.

"Not a lot of the boys are in the rehab group so I've been doing a bit here and there by myself, but I just can't wait to get out onto the track.”

Smith is intent on making sure he is ready to go when that time comes. Bike and swimming sessions away from the main group have him fit and fresh, and says his aim remains to don the Dogs' colours early in the season.
The Dogs will face Sydney at Marvel Stadium in round one, after JLT Community Series clashes against Gold Coast and St Kilda. Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-01-15/smith-edging-closer-to-full-fitness)

bornadog
17-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Update on Webb

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxEj6PpUYAEeu7Y.jpg

Axe Man
21-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Webb cleared to return (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-01-21/webb-cleared-to-return?fbclid=IwAR2QOPA40gYo2SZ4ZQbbilT1Ke0JOpzJssncVjiY3CJ1 qzUfI6Sp4Jr5ygI)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lukas Webb has been given the all-clear following a neck injury he sustained last year.

Webb was placed in a brace after he sustained a compression injury in his neck while playing in the VFL in July last year.

Scans last week revealed the injury had fully healed, paving the way for him to step up his training in preparation for the 2019 season.

“It’s really exciting for Lukas, after being in the hard collar for the last six months,” said Bulldogs’ Medical Services Manager Chris Bell.

“Now we’re able to put a plan around his return to football, and at this stage it looks like that’ll happen in the next six to eight weeks.”

The Bulldogs will take a more conservative approach with Tom Boyd, as he continues his recovery from a back injury.

“Tom has continued to suffer some lower back symptoms from the injury that ended his 2018 season,” Bell said.

“He’s got some really good continuity in his running under his belts, but he’s unable to return back to footy loads.

“We’re going to be really conservative with our management of Tom and respect his symptoms, and we’re just going to progress him when we’re able to.”

The Dogs’ top pick in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft, Bailey Smith, is almost ready to integrate into the full training group, after spending the first few months of his AFL journey in the rehab group.

“In his 2018 TAC Cup year Bailey had a really chronic achilles tendon injury,” Bell said.

“Since coming into our program he’s been in rehab, but he’s progressed really well and has been very diligent with his program.

“At this stage he’s reintegrating back into our full squad, and we’ll see him in full training in the next week or two.”

divvydan
21-01-2019, 07:16 PM
So, Boyd's back injury dates back to at least early July meaning it's been over 6months now and he's still unable to do much more than basic running. Obviously the break from after Rd 18 to the end of the off season (4mths) wasn't enough to fix the problem. Doesn't bode well for his chances of being able to play freely any time soon.

Doc26
21-01-2019, 07:47 PM
So, Boyd's back injury dates back to at least early July meaning it's been over 6months now and he's still unable to do much more than basic running. Obviously the break from after Rd 18 to the end of the off season (4mths) wasn't enough to fix the problem. Doesn't bode well for his chances of being able to play freely any time soon.

Well one area there is no doubt, our medical team are world class in communicating a conservative approach to injury management.

GVGjr
21-01-2019, 08:58 PM

Makes our list management decisions at the end of the season a bit perplexing

Go_Dogs
21-01-2019, 09:35 PM

It's a bad sign. I'm really curious to know if it's disc related and what we have done to manage it.

GVGjr
22-01-2019, 07:55 AM
It's a bad sign. I'm really curious to know if it's disc related and what we have done to manage it.

I'd like to see him have a good season but it's hard to see that happening if he can't really do the work.
It's a long time to be managing the injury as appears to be the case.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Having known this was a possibility prior to the end of last season, I am very surprised we did not use the ensuing trade & FA period to address this risk.
With English, Trengove and Schache all having had injuries throughout the course of last year (in addition to Boyd's issues) it doesn't look like the most injury resilient ruck corp. What are the odds they all stay healthy this season?
It all points to the untried Sweet a distinct chance to see game time at some stage.
I hope this doesn't come back to bite us.
As for Tom's future, I really hope this doesn't cruel his 2019, but it doesn't look good. It will further place pressure and scrutiny on him going forward.

Mantis
22-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Well one area there is no doubt, our medical team our world class in communicating a conservative approach to injury management.

Hoping Tom can 'tick all the boxes' shortly.:rolleyes:

Cyberdoggie
22-01-2019, 05:16 PM
It was always going to happen wasn't it.

Backs however are very difficult to troubleshoot. Can be so many factors.

SlimPickens
22-01-2019, 06:31 PM
Hoping Tom can 'tick all the boxes' shortly.:rolleyes:

Conservatively, wouldn't want him over-exerting during said box ticking exercise!

BornInDroopSt'54
23-01-2019, 12:57 PM
It's concerning that Bailey Smith's achilles is classified as chronic. I'm not medical but chronic sounds serious. Googled it and treatment has 25% failure. I'm sure club has done due diligence but I'll be thrilled when he gets the all clear with no more implications.

BornInDroopSt'54
23-01-2019, 01:20 PM
http://www.opnews.com/2015/12/treatment-options-for-chronic-achilles-tendon-disorders-2/11808
Hope he doesn't have a painful fusiform or a Haglunds deformity!

merantau
24-01-2019, 07:11 AM
There are injuries and what I call 'injuries or 'on-going injuries'. The latter are by far more troubling because they stop a player getting a run at it. Accumulated match fitness is a precious thing. It does wonders for a players confidence. The news about Tom Boyd's back is not good

G-Mo77
24-01-2019, 11:04 AM
It's only January and we're looking at Boyd missing a big chunk of the season. I heard could miss Round 1 yesterday so judging by how we assess injuries he'll miss most of the season if not all of it.

bornadog
06-02-2019, 11:54 AM
It's only January and we're looking at Boyd missing a big chunk of the season. I heard could miss Round 1 yesterday so judging by how we assess injuries he'll miss most of the season if not all of it.

Ongoing back issue puts big Dog in R1 doubt (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-05/ongoing-back-issue-puts-big-dog-in-r1-doubt)

A LINGERING back complaint continues to hamper Western Bulldog Tom Boyd's pre-season, placing his start to the season in doubt.

Boyd has failed to train alongside teammates in the main group over the past two days as he works through symptoms from the injury that ended his 2018 campaign after round 18.

The 23-year-old, who is preparing to enter his fifth year of a multi-million dollar, seven-year deal at Whitten Oval, has been confined to his own individual running program.

Combined with light duties during last week's training camp in Mooloolaba, Boyd's lack of high-intensity conditioning has put his hopes for round one action in jeopardy.

Premiership teammate Liam Picken remains on restricted contested duties, despite completing a large bulk of ball work with teammates on Tuesday.

Picken hopes to play again for the first time since suffering a nasty concussion in last year's JLT Community Series that ruled him out for the entire season.

Exciting draftee Bailey Smith has increased his training output after a modified start to the summer coming off an Achilles concern.

Smith will be hoping to form a midfield partnership with Tom Liberatore, who is on track for round one after a month of full training.

Lukas Webb, who last month trained for the first time without his neck brace since July, also trained strongly on Tuesday.

bornadog
06-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Picken apparently still experiencing bad headaches.

My Prediction - may pull the pin.

Axe Man
06-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Liam Picken’s future cloudy with Western Bulldog still suffering from headaches (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/liam-pickens-future-cloudy-with-western-bulldog-still-suffering-from-headaches/news-story/6dc3fff4ab60d9cdf855d693c998794f)

The future of Western Bulldogs forward Liam Picken remains unclear, with the premiership player revealing he is still experiencing headaches more than 11 months on from his most recent concussion.

Picken has not played since being knocked out in a marking contest during a pre-season match against Hawthorn on March 3 last year and is still yet to take part in full training.

The 32-year-old told the Herald Sun yesterday the debilitating headaches were yet to go away and would not say whether he expected to return to the field this year, only that he had his “fingers crossed”.

“I’m hoping to get better and then all things to fall into place,” Picken said.

“I’m still getting headaches. That’s the main issue, so I’ve got to work through them and just continue get better and get rid of the headaches.

“I’m still on the sidelines (for training) just trying to work through that and I’ll be guided by the medical experts and just follow their advice.”

Asked if the headaches had improved in recent months, Picken said “I don’t want to get into the technicalities, I just want to focus on getting better”.

Picken, who attended the Bulldogs’ training camp on the Sunshine Coast last month, said he had enjoyed what training he had been able to complete and there was a good vibe around the club that the side could bounce back after finishing 13th last year.

“It’s been really enjoyable to do pre-season and have a bit of fun with the boys and that,” he said.

“Training’s been really good and everyone’s really positive. We’ve got a lot of new guys and I think everyone’s really hopeful for the year ahead. It’s exciting.”

Picken, who helped launch the Premier’s Active April alongside wife Annie Nolan and son Malachy today, said his family had been key in helping him through his difficult time.

The couple also have two other children, five-year-old twins Delphi and Cheska.

“Annie and the family’s been so good,” Picken said.

“It’s always good to get home from training and have a bit of fun as a family. I think the support of your family is always key.”

Picken, who has played 198 AFL games, is out of contract at the end of this year.

The Bulldogs meet Gold Coast Suns in their first pre-season match in Mackay on March 3.

Eastdog
06-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Picken apparently still experiencing bad headaches.

My Prediction - may pull the pin.

May be the best thing for him to do. Picko has had a great career and has won a premiership with us so now his health should take precedence. Would love to see him out there again but not if it impacts his health. He is one of the toughest in the league.

Doggy
06-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Liam has a tough decision, he obviously wants to get back on the field again but he must also think about his health long term. I would love to see him back in this years GF replicating his two last quarter goals of the 2016 GF. I’ve watched that last quarter countless times and his 2 goals still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Rocket Science
06-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Honestly, enough.

I get indulging the ambitions of a club champ who's as determined as they come but if a year on he continues to suffer symptoms and can't adequately train as a result, truly what else is there to consider?

Find him an offseason role to remain involved if that's what he wants and let him plan for the rest of his life.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Liam, with continuing headaches after a year, it's a no brainer.
A forever memory will be you suspended in space taking that grab on the way down when the Premiership was one the line. You more.than any expressed the Bulldog spirit.

GVGjr
08-02-2019, 09:12 PM
JJ injured (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-08/dashing-bulldog-johannisen-injures-ankle-in-training-tackle)

NORM Smith medallist and Western Bulldogs dasher Jason Johannisen will be out of training indefinitely as he deals with an ankle injury sustained at training on Friday morning.

Johannisen, 26, was hurt in a tackle at Whitten Oval.

The club said in a statement it doesn't know how long he will be out for and plan on releasing a more accurate timeline in the coming days.

Johannisen was declared best on ground in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydeny.

He lined up in every match last season and is a member of the Dogs' leadership group.

SlimPickens
08-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Saying it’s a syndesmosis injury. Imagine we won’t see him till after Easter if that’s the case .

Rocket Science
09-02-2019, 01:36 AM
JJ injured (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-08/dashing-bulldog-johannisen-injures-ankle-in-training-tackle)

NORM Smith medallist and Western Bulldogs dasher Jason Johannisen will be out of training indefinitely as he deals with an ankle injury sustained at training on Friday morning.

Johannisen, 26, was hurt in a tackle at Whitten Oval.

The club said in a statement it doesn't know how long he will be out for and plan on releasing a more accurate timeline in the coming days.

Johannisen was declared best on ground in the 2016 Grand Final win over Sydeny.

He lined up in every match last season and is a member of the Dogs' leadership group.

Sigh. And so it begins ...

Hotdog60
09-02-2019, 07:29 AM
Step up Richards. Although JJ gets a lot of metres gained and can look quite brilliant he does have a tendency to turn the ball over and undo his good work.
I want JJ in the side but we do have some options to cover.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Step up Richards. Although JJ gets a lot of metres gained and can look quite brilliant he does have a tendency to turn the ball over and undo his good work.
I want JJ in the side but we do have some options to cover.

Hmm.. but i've got Ed kicking 50 goals for us as a forward/mid ..?

GVGjr
09-02-2019, 03:28 PM
Hmm.. but i've got Ed kicking 50 goals for us as a forward/mid ..?

So you only have Ed playing half the season up forward? :)

Even with the injury to JJ we have Duryea, Crozier and Suckling then maybe Williams, Lipinski, Dale, Daniel, Lynch and even Bailey Smith.

If we have to cop and injury then the mid or smaller defensive players is where we are particularly solid with our depth.

Axe Man
09-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Saying it’s a syndesmosis injury. Imagine we won’t see him till after Easter if that’s the case .

I certainly hope it’s not that long, that would have him out for over 10 weeks!

GVGjr
09-02-2019, 04:33 PM
I certainly hope it’s not that long, that would have him out for over 10 weeks!

I heard it was a 7 weeks injury and he's likely to need to a couple of weeks after that. 10 weeks could easily be around the mark

Axe Man
09-02-2019, 09:40 PM
I heard it was a 7 weeks injury and he's likely to need to a couple of weeks after that. 10 weeks could easily be around the mark

A couple of weeks for what? Or do you mean a couple of weeks in the VFL?

GVGjr
09-02-2019, 09:51 PM
A couple of weeks for what? Or do you mean a couple of weeks in the VFL?

It could easily be a 7 to 10 week injury and yes he might need a game at Footscray

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-02-2019, 11:33 AM
This is your moment Bailey Williams

Eastdog
11-02-2019, 02:06 PM
Very frustrating JJ will be out for a bit. Important player. It gives others the opportunity to step up in his role.

GVGjr
11-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Very frustrating JJ will be out for a bit. Important player. It gives others the opportunity to step up in his role.

Agreed Easty, at least it's an injury to a position that we have a few options.

I think JJ was primed for a good return to form and this will be a set back.

SonofScray
11-02-2019, 09:15 PM
Just noticed the injury news re: JJ. That's some tough luck for him. He can be a very important player for us. I hope it ends up a catalyst for someone else to use their pace to run the footy through the lines and kick long into the forward line.

Mantis
12-02-2019, 09:41 AM
Just noticed the injury news re: JJ. That's some tough luck for him. He can be a very important player for us. I hope it ends up a catalyst for someone else to use their pace to run the footy through the lines and kick long into the forward line.

Would much prefer said person kicks the ball with precision rather than just long.

EasternWest
12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Would much prefer said person kicks the ball with precision rather than just long.

Why though? Bomb it long into the forward line and you might win a Norm Smith.

Axe Man
15-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Looks like we are getting a head start on the injuries this year.

Hamstring injury to sideline Jong (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-15/hamstring-injury-to-sideline-jong?fbclid=IwAR10nP6Zinz3IFmjAAjMFIElJNhy59-pHDLBPv7kYRYvn0-9c8_fu-aFSGE)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong is expected to miss at least the next two months of football after suffering a hamstring injury at training yesterday.

Jong was removed from the Club’s match simulation session at VU Whitten Oval, with scans later revealing a high-grade hamstring tear.

The timeline for his playing return will become clearer over the coming weeks, however at this stage the Club anticipates he will return in approximately 8-10 weeks.

First year defender Buku Khamis is also set for a stint on the sidelines after he injured his knee in yesterday’s session.

Khamis strained his posterior cruciate ligament in a marking contest, and is expected to return to playing in 6-8 weeks.

Doc26
15-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Looks like we are getting a head start on the injuries this year.

Hamstring injury to sideline Jong (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-15/hamstring-injury-to-sideline-jong?fbclid=IwAR10nP6Zinz3IFmjAAjMFIElJNhy59-pHDLBPv7kYRYvn0-9c8_fu-aFSGE)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong is expected to miss at least the next two months of football after suffering a hamstring injury at training yesterday.

Jong was removed from the Club’s match simulation session at VU Whitten Oval, with scans later revealing a high-grade hamstring tear.

The timeline for his playing return will become clearer over the coming weeks, however at this stage the Club anticipates he will return in approximately 8-10 weeks.

Geez. Injuries are starting to add up before the season kicks off. Lin just can't take a trick.

G-Mo77
15-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Geez. Injuries are starting to add up before the season kicks off. Lin just can't take a trick.

What are we up to now? 5?, 6 long term?

GVGjr
15-02-2019, 06:35 PM
That's a shame for Jongy. He needs a few things going his way this year

chef
15-02-2019, 06:48 PM
Sad stuff for him, but In all honesty I don't see him as anything but a depth player for us.

Is he out of contract at the end of the season?

ratsmac
15-02-2019, 07:55 PM
Poor Jongy. He never seems too get a good run at it.

Axe Man
15-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Sad stuff for him, but In all honesty I don't see him as anything but a depth player for us.

Is he out of contract at the end of the season?

No he has 1 more year after this one, signed a 2 year contract at the end of last season.

kruder
15-02-2019, 09:58 PM
A major injury once a week. Tick

Remi Moses
15-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Oh FFS ! Enough of this :mad:

bornadog
15-02-2019, 11:47 PM
What are we up to now? 5?, 6 long term?

I know of JJ, Jong, Boyd, Buku - I guess you can add Picken as we are unsure and maybe Webb

Eastdog
16-02-2019, 12:58 AM
Very frustrating. Was hoping not to hear too much injury news this early on but we have already got a list :(

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Boyd and JJ are the concerns.

I’ve never thought that Picken would return.

Axe Man
21-02-2019, 02:29 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/GtQbqtVS/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

Axe Man
26-02-2019, 07:06 PM
Another injury I wasn't aware of - Bailey Dale :(

Johannisen, Webb set for early season returns (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-26/johannisen-webb-set-for-early-season-returns?fbclid=IwAR1LkZF_-7k5ia9ZuXjjNST6Q2g92VSEt3SWrBFIOkw9Dzaxs6BGRKU7yrM)

Star defender Jason Johannisen and developing midfielder Lukas Webb are set to return from their respective injuries over the next month.

In positive news for the Western Bulldogs, Johannisen (ankle) and Webb (neck) are on track to be available in the early stages of the season.

Johannisen sustained an ankle syndesmosis in match-play at training earlier this month.

“In some good news, ‘JJ’ is out of his boot and we’ve got him in a really aggressive rehab plan to get him back playing,” medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“At this stage, we see him coming back into full training availability in the first few weeks of the season.”

Webb, who suffered a serious neck injury in the VFL last season, is also tracking well and in his “final stages of rehab”.

“He’s done some great footy (training) that’s non-contact, and also done some really good conditioning running,” Bell said.

“We’re still waiting for him to tick off his final neck strength measures, which we hope will happen in the next two-to-three weeks. At this stage we’ve got him geared to come back and be available in the first few weeks of the season.”

Tom Boyd’s recovery from a back injury continues, with the Club taking a cautious approach.

However, Bell anticipates the key forward will be able to ramp up his training in the next couple of months.

“He’s making some really positive gains in his running and his strength,” Bell said of Boyd.

“We know that this injury can be volatile so we’re not rushing him, and we’re not setting any concrete timelines around his return to play. But at this stage, we’re hoping he comes back into full training in the next eight to 12 weeks.”

Bailey Dale (ankle) is expected to return to full training in the next couple of weeks, while the recovery for both Lin Jong (hamstring, 6-8 weeks) and Buku Khamis (knee, 4-6 weeks) is progressing as anticipated.

Rocket Science
26-02-2019, 07:21 PM
I hate this thread with a passion.

divvydan
26-02-2019, 07:24 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-tom-boyd-months-yet-from-full-training-20190226-p510fh.html

Western Bulldogs ruckman Tom Boyd will miss much of the early part of the season as he battles a back injury that will keep him from full training for up to another three months.

A month out from the season opening the premiership star is still eight to twelve weeks from being able to return to full training. It is uncertain how quickly he could return to playing once he is back in full training.

bulldogtragic
26-02-2019, 07:32 PM
Season over, must be a real possibility now. A damn shame.

GVGjr
26-02-2019, 07:52 PM
Season over, must be a real possibility now. A damn shame.

It's the news that many unfortunately expected. A lot now falls on English, Trengove and Schache

jeemak
26-02-2019, 08:11 PM
I thought the news was worse when there was indefinite timeline for him to return to training and when his back wasn't responding to treatment.

Doc26
26-02-2019, 08:18 PM
I’m more shocked by Chris Bell saying that JJ is on an “aggressive rehab” program.

Go_Dogs
26-02-2019, 08:58 PM
I’m more shocked by Chris Bell saying that JJ is on an “aggressive rehab” program.

It's one injury we've done well with based on the Libba example.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2019, 10:34 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-tom-boyd-months-yet-from-full-training-20190226-p510fh.html
So Boyd is no longer indefinite.

Mofra
27-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Bailey Dale with an ankle as well - surely he doesn't play round 1 now.

bornadog
09-03-2019, 01:12 AM
Player
Injury
Estimated Return

Tom Boyd
Back
10-12 weeks

Bailey Dale
Ankle
1-2 weeks

Jason Johannisen
Ankle
2-3 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
5-6 weeks

Buku Khamis
Knee
4-6 weeks

Liam Picken
Concussion
Indefinite

Lukas Webb
Neck
1-2 weeks

Updated: Tuesday, March 5

hujsh
09-03-2019, 02:33 AM
Player

Injury

Estimated Return

Tom Boyd

Back
10-12 weeks

Bailey Dale
Ankle
1-2 weeks

Jason Johannisen
Ankle
2-3 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
5-6 weeks

Buku Khamis
Knee
4-6 weeks

Liam Picken
Concussion
Indefinite

Lukas Webb
Neck
1-2 weeks

If it's anything like last year we could just save some time and write Season now.

bornadog
09-03-2019, 03:56 PM
If it's anything like last year we could just save some time and write Season now.

I think it is season

ledge
10-03-2019, 12:22 AM
Looking at that list we will only have 4 players unavailable first round.

Vred
13-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Player

Injury

Estimated Return

Tom Boyd
Back
10-12 weeks

Bailey Dale
Ankle
1-2 weeks

Jason Johannisen
Ankle
2-3 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
5-6 weeks

Buku Khamis
Knee
4-6 weeks

Liam Picken
Concussion
Indefinite

Lukas Webb
Neck
1-2 weeks

Comparing this list to some of the other clubs out there, we're in a good spot. Some other clubs are well and truly in trouble already with injuries.

bornadog
13-03-2019, 01:46 AM
Player
Injury
Estimated Return

Tom Boyd
Back
8-12 weeks

Bailey Dale
Ankle
1-2 weeks

Jason Johannisen
Ankle
2-3 weeks

Lin Jong
Hamstring
3-4 weeks

Buku Khamis
Knee
5-6 weeks

Liam Picken
Concussion
Indefinite

Lukas Webb
Neck
Test

Updated: Tuesday, March 12

Smads57
13-03-2019, 03:36 PM
How correct is it however....on the weekend 3 players not listed above didn't play VFL - Porter, Cavarro and Vandermeer.

Mofra
13-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Dale is an interesting one. He plays a position we're crying out for.

Rocket Science
13-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Dale is an interesting one. He plays a position we're crying out for.

Aye, but hasn't played the sort of actual footy we're crying our for for about a year.

If he can channel his 2017 self we'll be better for it.

Axe Man
13-03-2019, 04:36 PM
How correct is it however....on the weekend 3 players not listed above didn't play VFL - Porter, Cavarro and Vandermeer.

I keep seeing this Cavarro on here, is Ben the new Ryan Hargraves? It's Cavarra!

Axe Man
13-03-2019, 06:45 PM
AFL injury update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-13/afl-injury-update?fbclid=IwAR1Cewk9zFBSz8rhcY6ZvJcjPJo-eEsNyqPJMpbM4VV7kN05KWof85LADfY)

Draftees Ben Cavarra and Laitham Vandermeer have sustained injury setbacks ahead of their debut AFL season.

Cavarra missed Sunday’s VFL practice match due to quad tightness, and is 2-3 weeks away from being available to play, while Vandermeer (4-6 weeks) will miss the start of the season with a hamstring injury.

However, the Bulldogs will have a relatively fit list to choose from heading into round one against the Sydney Swans next Saturday night.

Key forward Tom Boyd (lower back, 6-8 weeks) and running defender Jason Johannisen (ankle syndesmosis) are progressing well with their recovery, and on track to return in the early stages of the season.

Lukas Webb (neck, 3-5 weeks) and Bailey Dale (ankle, 2-3 weeks) are also set to return in the early stages of the season, as are Lin Jong (hamstring) and rookie Buku Khamis (posterior cruciate ligament) who sustained injuries in pre-season match simulation.

Eastdog
14-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Aye, but hasn't played the sort of actual footy we're crying our for for about a year.

If he can channel his 2017 self we'll be better for it.

That’s right. Needs to get back to his 2017 form. Was quite handy up forward. I’m hoping Schache can fire a bit this year along with Tom when he gets back.

Greystache
14-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Cavarra has missed 1 week already and is still 2-3 weeks away due to "quad tightness"? *!*!*!*! me, we're taking a conservative approach to taking a conservative approach these days. Surely there's a work experience kid or a check out chick at Coles we could bring in to replace Chris Bell? Or maybe we could just improve things a bit by leaving his role vacant?

Axe Man
20-03-2019, 10:09 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/KjGtWK5X/Capture.png (https://postimg.cc/G8fB8mNz)

hujsh
20-03-2019, 10:28 AM
Whoah 10-12 down to 5-7? That doesn't feel very conservative. Are we sure it shouldn't be 14-20?

bornadog
20-03-2019, 02:06 PM
Boyd on the way back (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-20/boyd-on-the-way-back)

Western Bulldogs ruck/forward Tom Boyd could be back in full training within a month as he continues his return from a back injury.

Boyd has been hampered by a back complaint throughout the pre-season, but is on track to reintegrate into the main group soon, and could be available to play within 5-7 weeks.

“Tom has continued to progress really well with his long-term back injury. He is tolerating our progressions really well,” Bulldogs’ Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said.

“If he continues on his current track, he will be looking to return into full football training in the next month.”

Defender Jason Johannisen is on track to return to the field in the early rounds of the season, while mature-aged first-year forward Ben Cavarra could return within two weeks from a quad injury.

In pleasing news for Dogs fans, midfielder Bailey Dale has returned to the main training group following an ankle injury and is close to being available.

“Bailey has ticked our final rehab boxes following his ankle injury. He has returned into full training this week,” Bell said.
“We will look to complete a full game like training session this weekend ahead of returning him to availability next week.”

As revealed earlier this week, veteran defender Dale Morris has avoided surgery after suffering a high-grade injury to the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

“Dale is an incredibly diligent and professional athlete, so we will put a comprehensive rehab program around him to do everything we can to get him back to playing AFL footy this season,” Bell said.

bornadog
25-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Suckling TEST

Matt Suckling will be monitored ahead of the Western Bulldogs’ round two clash, after sustaining an ankle injury in Saturday night’s win against the Sydney Swans.

The 30-year-old left the field in the first quarter, but returned to play out the game, collecting 22 disposals to play an important role in the match.

“He had an episode where he damaged the ligaments in the outside part of his ankle,” Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said.
“He did have to come off and require some management, but he got through the game and he pulled up pretty well following the game.

We’re going to work through a process with Matt this week to determine his availability.”

In positive news, the Bulldogs have a number of players pushing to be available this weekend.

Ben Cavarra (quad), Bailey Dale (ankle) and Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) are back into full training, while Lukas Webb is ticking the final boxes as he comes back from a neck injury.

Midfielder Lin Jong is also making good progress from the hamstring injury he sustained late in the pre-season.

“In the next week or so, we’re going to start to turn the heat up and get him running a little bit quicker and start to integrate him back into some footy,” Bell said.

“We hope to get him back into training in the next fortnight, and then make a decision around his return to play plan.”

link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-25/suckling-a-test-for-hawks-clash)

bornadog
25-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Matt Suckling
ankle
test

Ben Cavarra
quad
test

Bailey Dale
ankle
test

Lukas Webb
neck
test

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
test

Jason Johannisen
ankle
2-4 weeks

Lin Jong
hamstring
3-5 weeks

Buku Khamis
knee
3-5 weeks

Tom Boyd
back
3-5 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

Liam Picken
concussion
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Monday 25 March, 2019

LostDoggy
25-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Its good to see big Tommy Boyd making inroads, lets hope he can get back to playing some good footy.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Its good to see big Tommy Boyd making inroads, lets hope he can get back to playing some good footy.

A Naughton-Boyd forward line. I'd like to see that!

Vred
25-03-2019, 11:19 PM
A Naughton-Boyd forward line. I'd like to see that!

That is a scary prospect

Bumper Bulldogs
27-03-2019, 08:07 AM
Player
Injury
Duration

Matt Suckling
ankle
test

Ben Cavarra
quad
test

Bailey Dale
ankle
test

Lukas Webb
neck
test

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
test

Jason Johannisen
ankle
2-4 weeks

Lin Jong
hamstring
3-5 weeks

Buku Khamis
knee
3-5 weeks

Tom Boyd
back
3-5 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

Liam Picken
concussion
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Monday 25 March, 2019

WOW that’s depressing. Round one done and we have 11 players on the list. 5 or 6 would be walk up starts in our best 22

MrMahatma
27-03-2019, 02:52 PM
WOW that’s depressing. Round one done and we have 11 players on the list. 5 or 6 would be walk up starts in our best 22

Yeah, but at least we didn’t gain a bunch of longer term ones last week. There’ll always be some injuries on the list and with almost half of ours listed as “test” then we aren’t in too bad shape.

ledge
27-03-2019, 03:09 PM
I think we are in quite good nick ,5 of these look available and that really cuts it down, most clubs would have a lot more I would think.

Mofra
27-03-2019, 03:50 PM
JJ setback? Originally announced as round 2 or 3, now he's 2-4 weeks away.

ledge
27-03-2019, 05:03 PM
JJ setback? Originally announced as round 2 or 3, now he's 2-4 weeks away.

2-4 still gets him back round 3 if all goes well.

bornadog
02-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Johannisen set to return

Jason Johannisen is in the frame to return from injury on Sunday against the Gold Coast Suns.

The influential defender has completed his rehabilitation program, and has returned to full training.

“JJ has ticked the final boxes in the return following his syndesmosis injury,” medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“He’s back into full training and completed a really good game-like session on the weekend.

“I’ll work with match committee this week to determine his availability for the weekend, and we’ll make a decision if it’s this week or the following.”

In more positive news, Tom Boyd (back) and Lin Jong (hamstring) are also on track to return to play over the coming fortnight.

However, a number of Bulldogs suffered setbacks in a VFL practice match over the weekend.

Ben Cavarra, coming back from a quad injury, copped a heavy hit which left him with a broken rib and internal bruising and bleeding. His return to play time frame is still to be determined.

Draftee Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) is expected to miss up to five weeks after sustaining a hamstring injury in the same game.

Ruckman Jackson Trengove sustained an ankle injury, but is a test to be available for selection this weekend.

Player
Injury
Duration

Jackson Trengove
ankle
test

Lukas Webb
neck
test

Jason Johannisen
ankle
test

Lin Jong
hamstring
2-3 weeks

Tom Boyd
back
2-3 weeks

Buku Khamis
knee
3-4 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
3-4 weeks

Ben Cavarra
ribs
TBC

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 4 April, 2019

kruder
03-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Vandermeer first game back from a hammy does another. Never looks good.

ledge
03-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Vandermeer first game back from a hammy does another. Never looks good.

I read it was just tightness and they would just rest him this week and maybe come back the week after.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
03-04-2019, 05:07 PM
What a great name

Mofra
03-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Sweet the only fit ruckman on our list after English. We're going to get to see what his tank is like at VFL levcel when he rucks most fo the day. I suspect we may not risk Trengove.

Mantis
04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Sweet the only fit ruckman on our list after English. We're going to get to see what his tank is like at VFL levcel when he rucks most fo the day. I suspect we may not risk Trengove.

Bevo mentioned he has gastro in this mornings presser so definitely not playing this week.

Eastdog
04-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Not looking too bad the injury list.

Eastdog
04-04-2019, 03:41 PM

Will see what he does in the opening VFL game tomorrow night. No Roughy and Campbell now.

Rocket Science
04-04-2019, 04:14 PM
not looking too bad the injury list.

STOP IT YOU'LL JINX it

Doc26
04-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Not looking too bad the injury list.

TBoyd fit, healthy and firing would seem the big hole on the current injury list.

Curiously though I’m grappling to see how we would make room for him with our current crop healthy.

I love the idea of us continuing to put games into English, and as it stands the Schache / Naughton combo up forward looks our best option. To retain speed and endurance around the ground I’m not sure we could go with another tall in Tom’s mould.

ledge
04-04-2019, 07:19 PM
TBoyd fit, healthy and firing would seem the big hole on the current injury list.

Curiously though I’m grappling to see how we would make room for him with our current crop healthy.

I love the idea of us continuing to put games into English, and as it stands the Schache / Naughton combo up forward looks our best option. To retain speed and endurance around the ground I’m not sure we could go with another tall in Tom’s mould.

Naughton goes back, Boyd goes forward with Schache, and all three can help English in the ruck, horses for courses, depends who your playing and how the games panning out but it’s I think we could fit him in.

Doc26
04-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Naughton goes back, Boyd goes forward with Schache, and all three can help English in the ruck, horses for courses, depends who your playing and how the games panning out but it’s I think we could fit him in.

I do prefer what Naughton offers as as a key forward. He’s more mobile, a beautiful and natural contested mark, and a composed kick at goal.

bornadog
04-04-2019, 10:01 PM
I do prefer what Naughton offers as as a key forward. He’s more mobile, a beautiful and natural contested mark, and a composed kick at goal.

Funny how we have come around to Bevo's thinking. Bevo has no intention on putting Naughton to the backline and said as much today in his presser. He was pleased with Young's efforts last week and sees him as the tall in the backline.

Doc26
04-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Funny how we have come around to Bevo's thinking. Bevo has no intention on putting Naughton to the backline and said as much today in his presser. He was pleased with Young's efforts last week and sees him as the tall in the backline.

Not a criticism of Bevo but the structure down back last week was quite different to what was selected in week 1 where the main question being raised was a concern with our selected defense being undersized against a tall Sydney forward line.

Whether it was our MCs astuteness or fortune that Sydney’s mids we’re dominated by our midfield, restricting clean delivery into the Sydney forward line I don’t know.

The balance down back now with Cordy, L Young and Wood playing as our talls brings a better balance, albeit Young / Roberts / Trengove could be interchangeable based on form, availability and / or matchups.

boydogs
05-04-2019, 01:14 AM
Young gets lost as a defender, doesn't know where to look or run, he's a liability one on one or in space. Good speed, size, hands and kick but his awareness is a concern

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2019, 02:06 PM

The implication of which is that T. Boyd is currently obsolete. The great hope and deliverer does not own a position.

Doc26
05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
The implication of which is that T. Boyd is currently obsolete. The great hope and deliverer does not own a position.

Does seem a bit crazy when thinking back to his performance on Premiership day.

bornadog
08-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Boyd set for VFL return from injury (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/boyd-set-for-vfl-return-from-injury-20190408-p51byv.html)

Injury-plagued Western Bulldogs star Tom Boyd could make an earlier than expected return to action this weekend while Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen is in the frame to make his first appearance of 2019.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge says former No.1 draft pick Boyd, recruited to the Bulldogs in 2014 from GWS, is likely to feature in the VFL side when it takes on Collingwood in the curtain raiser to Friday's MCG blockbuster between the two clubs.

The power forward played a key role in the Bulldogs' surprise 2016 premiership success with a near-best-on-ground display in the grand final when he kicked three goals.

But his contribution has been limited since.

Boyd was ruled out of the last few rounds of the home-and-away season last year with an ongoing back injury, and has not played this season as the Bulldogs got off to a flying start with wins over Sydney and Hawthorn before coming back to earth in their home loss to Gold Coast on Sunday.

In 2017 Boyd had also been absent from the game because of mental health issues.

When discussing the Dogs' ruck stocks in the wake of the suprise loss to Gold Coast, Beveridge canvassed the idea of Boyd returning quicker than some had forecast.

''Tommy Boyd will probably play next week, more than likely,'' Beveridge said.
Asked if that would be through the VFL, Beveridge said that would be the case.

''He has missed a lot of footy, Tom, he will need to get his match fitness up.''

The Bulldogs have also been without ruckman Jackson Trengrove but he too might be in a position to get some game time against the Pies in the VFL.

Speedster Johannisen could be in line for a return from injury against Collingwood with a decision to be made later in the week after his training performances have been monitored.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Good news all round. Would be great to see Tom force his way back into the side. We will be better for it.

ratsmac
08-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Good news all round. Would be great to see Tom force his way back into the side. We will be better for it.

Yes indeed. A fit Tom Boyd would be nice. He can at least halve most contests which we needed on the weekend.

GVGjr
08-04-2019, 07:12 PM
As much as I think we need a fit Tom Boyd from a team balance perspective I'd love to see him come back for his own well being. He needs a decent run at it to get his confidence back

bornadog
08-04-2019, 08:14 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Jackson Trengove
ankle
test

Jason Johannisen
ankle
test

Lin Jong
hamstring
test

Tom Boyd
back
test

Buku Khamis
knee
3-4 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
3-4 weeks

Ben Cavarra
ribs
3-5 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Monday 8 April, 2019

boydogs
08-04-2019, 11:28 PM
We're already starting to see the benefits of moving on some of our more unreliable injury prone players & those with ACL's, hopefully we can stay healthy and build cohesion

angelopetraglia
09-04-2019, 12:33 AM
This has to be the best position we have been in from an injury perspective for many years.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2019, 11:10 AM
As much as I think we need a fit Tom Boyd from a team balance perspective I'd love to see him come back for his own well being. He needs a decent run at it to get his confidence back

Agree. He has done extremely well to come back so soon. At one stage he looked like being out for half the season.

1eyedog
11-04-2019, 08:11 PM
Kudos to the medicos for getting him back so quickly.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Kudos to the medicos for getting him back so quickly.

Agree. They get knocked a bit here but have done well with Tom.

ledge
14-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Looks like Fergus Greene will be out a while, I am hearing broken ankle.
He was coming along nicely too.

bulldogtragic
14-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Looks like Fergus Greene will be out a while, I am hearing broken ankle.
He was coming along nicely too.

Terrible if that's the case. But will open 3 rookie draft picks if we want to use them.

GVGjr
14-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Despite the injury to Greene, it's a relatively healthy list at the moment with the return of Boyd, Jong and JJ although Boyd might need a long period of getting back his match fitness.

bulldogtragic
15-04-2019, 11:16 PM
Update on Fergus injury:

Developing Western Bulldogs forward Fergus Greene is set for a stint on the sidelines after injuring his ankle in the VFL on Friday night.

Greene had booted two goals against the Magpies at Olympic Park before being caught in a tackle and sitting out the remainder of the game.

“The mechanism of his injury has caused him to damage one of the small bones in his ankle,” said Bulldogs’ Medical Services Manager, Chris Bell.

VFL REPORT: DOGS DEFEAT MAGPIES

“He’s in a protective CAM boot for the next two to three weeks, and a return to play plan will become clearer after he comes out of his moon boot.”

Meanwhile, a trio of young Bulldogs are inching towards a return to the field.

Ben Cavarra (ribs), Laitham Vandermeer (hamstring) and Buku Khamis (knee) are all expected to be available in the weeks following the Club’s VFL bye this weekend.

The 22 which played for the Dogs against Collingwood last Friday night are all expected to be fit for selection for Sunday’s home clash with Carlton at Marvel Stadium.

bornadog
15-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Fergus Green
ankle
TBC

Buku Khamis
knee
2 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
2-3 weeks

Ben Cavarra
ribs
2-3 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Monday 15 April, 2019

ledge
16-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Fergus Green
ankle
TBC

Buku Khamis
knee
2 weeks

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
2-3 weeks

Ben Cavarra
ribs
2-3 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Monday 15 April, 2019

So basically two players injured and one retired after the Carlton game if no injuries in that game. That’s a huge difference to previous years and I would say it’s better than any other list in the league injury wise.

Daughter of the West
16-04-2019, 10:05 PM
This has to be the best position we have been in from an injury perspective for many years.

Dear God, the Slav in me wants to smack you over the back of the head, don't say stuff like that - you'll put the mozz on us!

We'll have an ACL, a broken arm, two concussions and a dislocated foot by the end of the Carlton game...

*makes the sign of the cross three times*

1eyedog
17-04-2019, 07:06 PM
So basically two players injured and one retired after the Carlton game if no injuries in that game. That’s a huge difference to previous years and I would say it’s better than any other list in the league injury wise.

Kudos to the medical team ;)

Bumper Bulldogs
21-04-2019, 09:50 PM

So why are we losing to a side like Carlton. Be I has turned over unwanted players recruited for needs and are still lose to the bottom team after winning a premiership three years ago. The buck stops with the head coach. Good bye Bevo.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Buku Khamis
knee
test

Laitham Vandermeer
hamstring
test

Ben Cavarra
ribs
test

Matt Suckling
groin
2-4 weeks

Fergus Greene
ankle
4-6 weeks

Taylor Duryea
hip
6-8 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
indefinite

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 23 April, 2019

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 03:45 PM
We can't take a trick with Suckling since crossing to us.

He barely missed a game playing for the poo and wees, and at least managed to stay on the park for us in 2017, but we just can't get him to stick in a settled lineup.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 06:46 PM
We can't take a trick with Suckling since crossing to us.

He barely missed a game playing for the poo and wees, and at least managed to stay on the park for us in 2017, but we just can't get him to stick in a settled lineup.

I think he had a few injuries with Hawks as well.

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 07:01 PM
I think he had a few injuries with Hawks as well.

Well he must have been in the habit of playing hurt a lot in that case!

https://i.ibb.co/259ZRYk/piggy.png (https://ibb.co/DLJrmgR)

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Even better, Suckers injured himself showing the boys his roost at training. Awesome.

--------

Scans have also confirmed Matt Suckling will miss the next 2-4 weeks of football, after suffering a groin injury during a training session last week. “During training last week, Matt Suckling went to rocket one of his notorious kicks around the corner,” Bell said.

“He did have a grab in his adductor groin muscle, and scans have confirmed that this is a moderate grade injury and we expect him to return in 2-4 weeks.”

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Cool.

Rocket Science
23-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Cool.

I can picture it now.

"Hey Piggy, bet you can't dob one from here"

Suckers: "Hold my Gatorade ..."

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 08:03 PM
I can picture it now.

"Hey Piggy, bet you can't dob one from here"

Suckers: "Hold my Gatorade ..."

Why not just adapt the story for public consumption? Although practising goal kicking isn't very believable either..

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2019, 09:07 PM
And now Lin Jong has undrgone emergency appendectomy. Will miss several weeks.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Who said we were the best fit team in the league last week?

Thanks.

Doggy
23-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Dear God, the Slav in me wants to smack you over the back of the head, don't say stuff like that - you'll put the mozz on us!

We'll have an ACL, a broken arm, two concussions and a dislocated foot by the end of the Carlton game...

*makes the sign of the cross three times*

You forgot to mention appendicitis :rolleyes:

bornadog
23-04-2019, 09:56 PM

Stop ruining a good story with facts. :D

I was going on memory but obviously wrong.

ledge
23-04-2019, 11:04 PM
Appendicitis usually just a week nowadays.
Keyhole surgery.

Happy Days
23-04-2019, 11:14 PM
Stop ruining a good story with facts. :D

I was going on memory but obviously wrong.

He did tear his ACL one year so you aren't totally off base

bornadog
23-04-2019, 11:40 PM
He did tear his ACL one year so you aren't totally off base

Must be 2013, as no games played.

Greystache
24-04-2019, 01:44 AM

He didn't play a single game in 2013 after doing an ACL.

boydogs
25-04-2019, 01:51 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwoldpLB0Cf/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=l76vuw7jnbck

:D:D

HOSE B ROMERO
25-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Seriously Jongy!?!?!? You must have crossed some black cats paths throughout your career. What's in going to be next? Stage 3 conjuctivitis? Attacked by a daddy long legs with unusually long fangs which excrete anti-jongy venom? Come on...

bornadog
29-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Matt Suckling
groin
2-4 weeks

Lin Jong
appendix
2-3 weeks

Fergus Greene
ankle
3-5 weeks

Taylor Duryea
hip
4-6 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
6-8 weeks

* Injury list updated on Monday 29 April, 2019

Axe Man
29-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Dale clearly is not human.

Morris on track for return (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-29/morris-on-track-for-return)

The Western Bulldogs are optimistic that veteran defender Dale Morris can make a return to football during the latter half of this AFL season, after ticking some early boxes during his recovery from an ACL injury.

After suffering a left knee ACL injury during pre-season training, Morris avoided surgery, instead taking a conservative approach to his rehabilitation.

Western Bulldogs Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said that Morris is making great progress in his recovery.

“Dale’s back running outside and completing an intensive block of strength training,” Bell said.

“We remain optimistic that he’s going to make a return in the second half of the season.”

Defender Matthew Suckling looks likely to face Brisbane at Mars Stadium next week, after making strong progress following a groin injury he sustained at training two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, Lin Jong has recovered well from surgery to repair a burst appendix.

“From last week, Lin Jong developed some abdominal pain on Tuesday. He was taken to hospital where they found a burst appendix,” Bell said.

“He did require some surgery, but the surgery went really well. He’s back at the Club this week and is in good spirits.

“He’s currently planning to resume some running on Thursday, and we’d expect that he’ll miss the next 2-3 weeks.”

GVGjr
29-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Never write off Dale Morris

Remi Moses
29-04-2019, 07:32 PM
Only dale could run out an acl
What a freak and leader for our club

bulldogtragic
29-04-2019, 07:50 PM
With his pain tolerance, I bet he doesn't even have general anaesthetic's for his surgeries. Just a swig of whiskey and bite on a leather strap if it really hurts.

Sedat
29-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Impressive by Chris Bell - 'ticking boxes' and 'conservative approach' in the one interview.

Eastdog
29-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Great news!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2019, 09:20 PM
“Dale’s back running outside and completing an intensive block of strength training,” Bell said.

Just adds to the extensive legacy of Dale.
I hope he continues to astound us and everyone for some time yet.
He is not going to go willingly into retirement. I fully expect that if he has a to finish to the year that he gets another year.
It's improbable. But Dale's career has been built on defying the odds.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Impressive by Chris Bell - 'ticking boxes' and 'conservative approach' in the one interview.

Chris Bell bingo!

bornadog
29-04-2019, 10:17 PM
Only dale could run out an acl
What a freak and leader for our club

Great work from our medicos

Smads57
30-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Dale was out kicking the footy with his 2 sons at halftime on Sunday. His had one leg in a brace and was kicking the ball to his boys with the other leg. I was most surprised!

azabob
04-05-2019, 11:54 AM

You know its the same interview since 2016, the voice over just changes the players name.

bornadog
04-05-2019, 01:54 PM
You know its the same interview since 2016, the voice over just changes the players name.

I guess what else can he say

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Marcus Adams is out for another 8 weeks

hujsh
05-05-2019, 12:08 AM
Marcus Adams is out for another 8 weeks

Marcus Adams is no longer a Bulldog so it's not our problem and probably shouldn't be in the injury list thread;)

I know old habits die hard though.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-05-2019, 09:40 AM
Sorry I was just saying because we were worried about losing him and he hasn’t played a game all year

hujsh
05-05-2019, 01:37 PM
Sorry I was just saying because we were worried about losing him and he hasn’t played a game all year

Hey it's fine to mention him, it just should probably go in the 'Following our Exs' thread in the future.

Just in case someone sees the 'out for 8 weeks' part in the injury thread after a game and has a scare

bulldogtragic
05-05-2019, 01:52 PM
Hey it's fine to mention him, it just should probably go in the 'Following our Exs' thread in the future.

Just in case someone sees the 'out for 8 weeks' part in the injury thread after a game and has a scare

Almost certain it was that thread in the last week. Agree with you, has no real need to be mentioned in a thread dedicated to current players health.

ledge
05-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Almost certain it was that thread in the last week. Agree with you, has no real need to be mentioned in a thread dedicated to current players health.

I put it in ex players thread last week.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Suckling likely to return (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-06/suckling-likely-to-return)

Western Bulldogs defender Matt Suckling looks likely to return to football this weekend, after sustaining a groin injury during a training session two weeks ago.

Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said that Suckling has progressed well over the past fortnight.

“Matt has continued to progress really well following his groin injury. He is back into full training this week, and if he ticks the final boxes during the main session on Thursday, he will be available to play this weekend,” Bell said.

Meanwhile, developing forward Ben Cavarra has sustained a hamstring injury in Sunday’s VFL match at Casey Fields.

“Ben was sprinting for the footy in the third quarter and when we went to mark the ball, he overstretched and felt a pain in his hamstring,” Bell said.

“On assessment today, Ben has sustained a moderate grade hamstring injury. We will go through our process this week to determine how many weeks Ben will be on the sidelines for.”

Player
Injury
Duration

Ben Cavarra
hamstring
TBC

Matt Suckling
groin
test

Lin Jong
appendix
1-2 weeks

Fergus Greene
ankle
2-4 weeks

Taylor Duryea
hip
4-6 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
4-6 weeks

* Injury list updated on Monday 6 May, 2019

ledge
06-05-2019, 09:59 PM
That’s out for a while with an appendix , usually it’s just a week.

Axe Man
07-05-2019, 09:28 AM
That’s out for a while with an appendix , usually it’s just a week.

His appendix had actually burst and had emergency surgery so may not have been keyhole.

ledge
07-05-2019, 09:13 PM
His appendix had actually burst and had emergency surgery so may not have been keyhole.
Definitely burst appendix at best , my great nephew had the same thing early this year he has autism so it was kind of confusing as to what was wrong with him, his burst and he ended up out for 3 weeks . A lot of pain and a lot of drugs, it definitely got in his system.
He is 18 plays country footy.
Same happened to me when I was 16 but back in the 70s it was 8 weeks I missed.

ratsmac
07-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Yep he had a burst appendix. Very serious when it's burst and if not diagnosed in time in and can be fatal.
My son also had a burst appendix and was in hospital for a week. No key hole surgery if it's burst from what I know because they have to clean out infection.

bornadog
13-05-2019, 06:18 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Tim English

soreness

test

Lin Jong
appendix
test

Fergus Greene
ankle
2-3 weeks

Ben Cavarra
hamstring
3-5 weeks

Taylor Duryea
hip
4-6 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
4-6 weeks

ledge
13-05-2019, 07:05 PM
Don’t see any reason Jong or English wouldn’t play this week unless they are worse than they are saying.

Hotdog60
13-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Ben Cavarra not having much luck with his entry to the big time.

bornadog
20-05-2019, 06:12 PM
Morris targets post-bye return (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-20/morris-targets-postbye-return)

The Western Bulldogs remain optimistic that Dale Morris will return to football in the weeks following the bye, after making positive progress in his return from an ACL injury.

Completing an 11-kilometre running session, Morris is back into full speed running, while tracking well throughout sprinting drills.

Medical services manager, Chris Bell, said Morris looks likely to return to full training over the next month.

“Over the next couple of weeks, we’re going to progress him back into some football drills and high-end agility,” Bell said.

“At this stage, we remain optimistic that Dale will make a return to full training in the weeks following the bye.”

Developing ruckman Tim English remains a test for Saturday’s clash with North Melbourne, after suffering from persistent soreness sustained in round seven against Richmond.

“Tim has had some persistent soreness from the heavy knocks he got in the Richmond game,” Bell said.

“This has meant that he’s missed a fair bit of training over the past few weeks. He has turned the corner and is back training, but we’ll make a call on Tim’s availability as the week progresses.”

Fergus Greene look likely to return via the VFL this weekend, after completing his rehab for an ankle injury sustained in the VFL round two match against Collingwood.

“In some great news, Fergus Greene has continued to kick some goals in his return from an ankle injury,” Bell said.

“He’s completed our end-stage rehab and comes back into full training this week. If he gets through full training as we expect, he’ll return to playing this weekend.”

Player
Injury
Duration

Tim English
soreness
test

Fergus Greene
ankle
test

Ben Cavarra
hamstring
2-4 weeks

Taylor Duryea
hip
3-4 weeks

Dale Morris
knee
3-5 weeks

Bulldog4life
20-05-2019, 06:46 PM
Wonder if Tim will wear thigh protectors in future. My cousin told me it was Nankervis going up in the ruck kneeing Tim's thighs regularly.

ledge
20-05-2019, 07:21 PM
We have been very lucky with injuries this year compared to other years, need to take advantage of this and win games , to be honest I think we have been playing back to our promise the last few weeks including Geelong.

bornadog
20-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Wonder if Tim will wear thigh protectors in future. My cousin told me it was Nankervis going up in the ruck kneeing Tim's thighs regularly.

mongrel

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2019, 03:05 PM
mongrel
Really gutless. Look in the mirror Nankervis.

Axe Man
21-05-2019, 03:51 PM
mongrel

What has B4L's cousin ever done to you?:D

Bulldog4life
25-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Over the years I have read many times how poor our medical and recovery team are. Everyone is quiet this year so I want to say what a magnificent job they have done so far.

AndrewP6
25-05-2019, 06:03 PM
Look out for the long list of players listed this week due to 'Torn Heart Muscle'.

Doggy
25-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Look out for the long list of players listed this week due to 'Torn Heart Muscle'.

And SOFT tissue injuries

Hotdog60
27-05-2019, 06:48 PM
Wallis and Crozier forced outs for West Coast so two changes at least.

bornadog
27-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Player Injury Duration

Mitch Wallis ankle TBC
Ben Cavarra hamstring 1 weeks
Hayden Crozier toe 2-3 weeks
Taylor Duryea hip 2-3 weeks
Dale Morris knee 2-3 weeks

Bulldog4life
28-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Player Injury Duration

Mitch Wallis ankle TBC
Ben Cavarra hamstring 1 weeks
Hayden Crozier toe 2-3 weeks
Taylor Duryea hip 2-3 weeks

Looking forward to seeing Ben Cavarra stringing some games together in the VFL. Poor guy has had a terrible run at it so far. Is the type of player we are looking for in our team when fit and in form.

Axe Man
30-05-2019, 07:02 PM
Poor bloke can't take a trick...

Webb sidelined with leg injury (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-05-30/webb-sidelined-with-leg-injury?fbclid=IwAR0OwTCZnjtD6B4DrQu2BKXg0cvpXiSbU3HJNF4GBQbK c42wIP1hUETRK3E)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Lukas Webb is set for a stint on the sidelines after hurting his lower leg at training today.

The 23-year-old suffered a syndesmosis injury and a fracture to his fibula bone, which will require surgery.

His return-to-play timeline will become clearer in the coming weeks.

Webb has played all seven games and has been one of the most consistent performers for Footscray in the VFL so far this season, after making a successful comeback from a neck injury.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-06-2019, 03:12 PM
Surgery on a fibula. A plate? Back in 4 weeks?

bornadog
04-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Schache Concussion, will be monitored to see if ok to play this week. Webb out for 6 to 8 with ankle and Fergus Greene had a dislocated shoulder and is being assessed.

bornadog
04-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Mitch Wallis
ankle
TBC

Fergus Greene
shoulder
TBC

Ben Cavarra
hamstring
available

Josh Schache
concussion
test

Hayden Crozier
toe
test

Taylor Duryea
hip
test

Dale Morris
knee
test

Lukas Webb
ankle
6-8 weeks

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 4 June, 2019

The Bulldogs Bite
05-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Hope to see Greene and Cavarra playing well in the VFL asap to press for selection. Both (on paper) have what our side needs.

bornadog
11-06-2019, 10:58 PM
Injury Update

Defensive duo Hayden Crozier and Taylor Duryea could be available for Saturday night’s important clash against Carlton, however forward Billy Gowers has been ruled out through injury.

Crozier (toe) and Duryea (hip) both completed a full session today, as the Bulldogs returned from their bye break.

Duryea last played in round four against Collingwood, while Crozier missed the match against West Coast.

The news wasn’t as good for Gowers, who sits third on the Bulldogs’ goal-kicking list in 2019, after injuring his ankle during the session.

“Both Hayden and Taylor are in the final stages of their stints in rehab,” Bulldogs’ medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“Both fully trained today and had a really good spring in their step. We’ll look to tick the final boxes with both players this Thursday, ahead of determining their return to play, which we expect will be this weekend.

“Unfortunately (Billy’s) damaged one of the ligaments in his ankle… we’re going to work with Billy over the next couple of days to determine his return to play plan.”

Veteran defender Dale Morris is also closing in on a return from his ACL injury, and is set to play over the next couple of weeks.

“Dale continues to impress on the training track,” Bell said.

“He’s in the final stages of his rehab program, and he’s currently doing high-end agility and high football-type drills.

“We need to make sure that the ACL, that we’ve managed without surgery, can sustain the demands of the game. Dale still needs to tick some boxes to prove his readiness to play, but we remain optimistic that this will happen in the next couple of weeks.”

Tall forward Josh Schache (concussion) and first-year Bulldog Ben Cavarra (hamstring) will be available to play this weekend.

Player Injury Duration
Ben Cavarra hamstring available
Josh Schache concussion available
Hayden Crozier toe test
Taylor Duryea hip test
Mitch Wallis ankle TBC
Billy Gowers ankle TBC
Fergus Greene shoulder 3-4 weeks
Lukas Webb ankle 5-7 weeks

* Injury list updated on Tuesday 11 June, 2019

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 07:39 PM
This is becoming an epidemic across the league. Best wishes Jongy.

Lin Jong to take mental health break (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-13/lin-jong-to-take-mental-health-break?fbclid=IwAR2gRnbW6fhir7ovziIxsCeBWwWjnEm1k8HPnNHnW4VP-mXMi8vzCAB8nUI)

Western Bulldogs utility Lin Jong will take a short break from playing football while he manages his mental health.

Lin will remain in the Bulldogs’ training program, without playing competitively during the next undetermined period of time.

“I felt it was important to be honest about how I have been feeling recently, and the Club has been an amazing support for me, along with my family and friends,” Jong said.

“The Club allowed me to spend a bit of time away from training, but I wanted to be around my team-mates and the football staff, so we decided I would continue to be part of the program without playing games for the time being.

“The environment at the Bulldogs allows players to be themselves and communicate openly, so I felt comfortable about speaking up.”

Jong has endured a torrid run with injuries over the last few seasons, which has robbed him of on-field continuity, including two broken collarbones, a fractured jaw and an ACL injury. This year alone he has dealt with a torn hamstring and a ruptured appendix.

“We applaud Lin for feeling brave and comfortable enough to speak up about managing his mental health. We have created a culture at the Bulldogs which encourages our players to confront any issues they might be dealing with, instead of suffering in silence,” said Bulldogs Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“Our duty is to ensure the health of our players is our priority, and Lin will be given the time and care he needs to work through this period. We are pleased that he wants to remain in our program and continue training.”

“Clearly, improving the impact of mental health amongst players is a responsibility the whole football industry shares. It’s encouraging to see players from many clubs having the courage to publicly address the issue so we can all continue to best support our players.”

bulldogtragic
13-06-2019, 09:55 PM
What's going on at the club?

First Boyd with a spell with clinical depression in 2017. Then Cloke with a spell with depression in 2017 (then forced to quit). Then Boyd struggles along in 2018 and then quits footy citing physical issues and depression in 2019. Now Jong having a mental health break 2019.

I'm a more than a bit worried by this news.

Axe Man
13-06-2019, 11:03 PM
What's going on at the club?

First Boyd with a spell with clinical depression in 2017. Then Cloke with a spell with depression in 2017 (then forced to quit). Then Boyd struggles along in 2018 and then quits footy citing physical issues and depression in 2019. Now Jong having a mental health break 2019.

I'm a more than a bit worried by this news.

It’s a league wide issue, hardly unique to our club. Broadbent from Port was announced as taking a break today. Jack Steven is still sitting out and I’m sure there are many more that play through their issues.

Rocket Science
13-06-2019, 11:31 PM
Tell you what if we lose to Carlton again I'll be sitting out the rest of the season for the sake of my mental health.

It's an extremely high pressure environment with ceaseless internal and external scrutiny. Not everyone is bulletproof.

Go well Jongy.

KT31
16-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Injury update: Tom Liberatore
Jun 16, 2019 3:00PM

Tom Liberatore has been cleared of any ACL or ligament injury suffered in the side's win over Carlton. - Western Bulldogs
Tom Liberatore has been cleared of any ACL or ligament injury suffered in the side's win over Carlton.
Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore will undergo arthroscopic surgery for a knee injury sustained in Saturday night’s win against Carlton.

Scans have confirmed a cartilage injury to his right knee, and cleared him of any ACL or ligament injury.

Liberatore’s return to play plan and timeframe will be confirmed post-surgery

GVGjr
16-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Nice pick-up KT

ledge
16-06-2019, 06:46 PM
I would say two weeks , one week for op and one week recovery.

bornadog
16-06-2019, 07:46 PM
I would say two weeks , one week for op and one week recovery.
Hopefully no longer

AshMac
16-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Injury update: Tom Liberatore
Jun 16, 2019 3:00PM

Tom Liberatore has been cleared of any ACL or ligament injury suffered in the side's win over Carlton. - Western Bulldogs
Tom Liberatore has been cleared of any ACL or ligament injury suffered in the side's win over Carlton.
Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore will undergo arthroscopic surgery for a knee injury sustained in Saturday night’s win against Carlton.

Scans have confirmed a cartilage injury to his right knee, and cleared him of any ACL or ligament injury.

Liberatore’s return to play plan and timeframe will be confirmed post-surgery

So hes having surgery? That doesnt sound good - was such an innocuous incident too. I reckon its still pretty concerning.

MrMahatma
17-06-2019, 01:38 PM
So hes having surgery? That doesnt sound good - was such an innocuous incident too. I reckon its still pretty concerning.

I think from a career longevity perspective it’s not good. He’s had a fair bit of knee work!

ledge
17-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Arthroscope surgery is very small , I believe it’s cartlidge clean which is minor.
But I could be wrong, we are known to tell porkies sometimes.
From the photos after the game Libber didn’t look to worried.

G-Mo77
17-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Arthroscope surgery is very small , I believe it’s cartlidge clean which is minor.
But I could be wrong, we are known to tell porkies sometimes.
From the photos after the game Libber didn’t look to worried.

It's just keyhole I believe. I've got to get mine done at some stage and the doc said there is not much to it. He'll miss 3 - 4 at least which we can't really afford either. It's concerning though, like you said it's not like we've been real honest with our injury time frames recently.

Rocket Science
17-06-2019, 07:03 PM
No rush back. Give Libba the rest of the year off to get it right if that's what the injury demands. He's too important to us longer term.

Might just about be time to start looking at who needs surgery and pre-meditated spells.

2020's just around the corner.

bornadog
17-06-2019, 08:42 PM
Update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-17/injury-update-round-14)

Veteran defender Dale Morris is closing in on a return to football.

Morris is tracking well in the final stages of his recovery from an ACL injury, according to medical services manager Chris Bell.

"He’s back into full training and ticking all our boxes really well,” Bell said.

“We still have to be diligent being at the end stage of his rehab, to make sure we’re doing everything possible to prove that he’s ready to return to play.

“If that return to play isn’t this week, I’m sure it will be in the not-too-distant future.”

Tom Liberatore’s return to play timeframe will be known following surgery on his injury tonight.

The midfielder took no further part in the game on Saturday night, after sustaining the injury in the second term.

“Assessment has confirmed that Tom has suffered some damage to the cartilage inside his knee,” Bell said.

“I’m happy to say his anterior cruciate ligament that he’s previously had reconstructed is intact and unaffected by the injury.

“We’ll be in a better position to return Tom’s return to play plan following this operation.”

Return to play timeframes have also become clearer for Mitch Wallis and Billy Gowers.

Both are anticipated to return to full training from their ankle injuries over the next two-three weeks, and all going to plan, be available to play shortly after that.

“Mitch is making good progress following the bone stress injury that he has in the front of his ankle,” Bell said.

“He’s completed a week of running on our alter-gravity treadmill machine, and he’s due to start running outside today.”

“We were required to put Bill in a CAM boot to help the ligament heal on the outside part of his ankle.

“He’s due to come out of the CAM boot this Thursday and recommence some running outside.”

Player
Injury
Duration

Tom Liberatore
knee
TBC

Dale Morris
knee
Test

Fergus Greene
shoulder
2-4 weeks

Mitch Wallis
ankle
3-4 weeks

Billy Gowers
ankle
3-5 weeks

Lukas Webb
ankle
4-6 weeks

bornadog
18-06-2019, 06:01 PM
Libba to miss at least a month after knee surgery

AFTER fears Western Bulldog Tom Liberatore had re-ruptured his ACL in his right knee, the midfielder could be back in as little as a month.

The 27-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on Monday to repair cartilage damage.

He is facing four to six weeks on the sidelines after the injury, which occurred when he changed direction while chasing Carlton's Kade Simpson in the second quarter of Saturday night's three-point win.

"The arthroscopic surgery on Tom's knee went according to plan," Western Bulldogs medical services manager Chris Bell told the club website.

"He will now undergo a period of rehabilitation to prepare him to return to play, and we anticipate he will be available to return in four to six weeks."

Liberatore tore the ACL in his right knee at the start of 2018 and missed the entire season.

The Bulldogs have a relatively healthy injury list, missing only Dale Morris (knee), Fergus Greene (shoulder), Billy Gowers, Mitch Wallis and Lukas Webb (all ankle injuries).

BornInDroopSt'54
18-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Libba to miss at least a month after knee surgery

The Bulldogs have a relatively healthy injury list, missing only Dale Morris (knee), Fergus Greene (shoulder), Billy Gowers, Mitch Wallis and Lukas Webb (all ankle injuries).

Crazy considering in 2016 we had so many injuries.

azabob
18-06-2019, 10:16 PM
When did Greene do his shoulder? It must have happened during his first game back?

josie
18-06-2019, 10:59 PM
When did Greene do his shoulder? It must have happened during his first game back?

It was his 2nd or 3rd game back and it was at WO Landed awkwardly after a spoil or mark attempt. I saw it and thought it was his shoulder. X fingers he can play 1 or 2 seniors games before end of season. Has had bad run with injuries, poor bloke. Really like him as he is a real competitor - just needs a bit of luck.

bornadog
18-06-2019, 11:32 PM

You haven't been reading the thread Aza :D

azabob
19-06-2019, 07:41 AM
You haven't been reading the thread Aza :D

Clearly not as closely as I should’ve! I went back a couple of pages but couldn’t see where the club referenced it.

KT31
19-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Update (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-06-17/injury-update-round-14)

Player
Injury
Duration

Tom Liberatore
knee
TBC

Dale Morris
knee
Test

Fergus Greene
shoulder
2-4 weeks

Mitch Wallis
ankle
3-4 weeks

Billy Gowers
ankle
3-5 weeks

Lukas Webb
ankle
4-6 weeks

List looks ok at first glance, but if you add in Jong and the two important players we had retire in Boyd and Picken it is not so good.

ledge
19-06-2019, 09:40 AM
It’s a small list but 5 would be in our team every week.
You can have a Lot of injuries but if they are all vfl players it doesn’t affect your AFL squad.

bornadog
24-06-2019, 06:33 PM
UPDATE

Veteran defender Dale Morris is expected to make his long-awaited return to football this weekend.

Morris, who suffered an ACL injury during pre-season training earlier this year, is set to be available for selection for the first time since the final round of 2018.

Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said Morris has ticked the final boxes in his recovery, after avoiding surgery for the partial tear.

“Provided he gets through training this week like we expect - he will make his long-anticipated comeback this weekend, which is extremely exciting for everyone else at the club,” Bell said.

After suffering a minor foot strain in a tackle two weeks ago, Brad Lynch will return to full training this week.
“Brad is back into full training this week, and if he gets through as we expect, he will return to availability this weekend,” Bell said.

In some disappointing news, emerging forward Fergus Greene will be sidelined for the remainder of 2019, after suffering a shoulder dislocation in the weeks prior to the bye.

“Fergus has been in a conservative management model, but unfortunately, we have been unable to improve Fergus’ shoulder to a level that will allow him to withstand the demands of AFL footy,” Bell said.

“Fergus will need a shoulder operation which will end his 2019 campaign, but he’ll be ready to attack next pre-season.”

Player
Injury
Duration

Dale Morris
knee
test

Brad Lynch
foot
test

Mitch Wallis
ankle
2-3 weeks

Billy Gowers
ankle
2-4 weeks

Lukas Webb
ankle
3-5 weeks

Tom Liberatore
knee
3-5 weeks

Fergus Greene
shoulder
season

Bad luck for Fergus

GVGjr
24-06-2019, 07:35 PM
I'm hearing Wally is done for the season, hope this information is wrong though

bornadog
30-06-2019, 11:56 AM
Listening to the press conference, Bevo mentioned Caleb had some hamstring tightness and will be assessed when he returns to Melbourne on Monday. JJ copped a knock on the leg, but should be ok.

ledge
30-06-2019, 03:02 PM
I'm hearing Wally is done for the season, hope this information is wrong though

Not according to Wallis who is commentating on the VFL today, he is hoping to get some game time in the VFL this week and hopefully back in two weeks.
Full training on weekend but says it’s a stress fracture and will be in pain but will play.

ledge
30-06-2019, 03:05 PM
Listening to the press conference, Bevo mentioned Caleb had some hamstring tightness and will be assessed when he returns to Melbourne on Monday. JJ copped a knock on the leg, but should be ok.

Didn’t seem like much at all, I think he was just saying some pulled up sore.
What was with the Adelaide reporter and congratulating him ? Was it being sarcastic ?
I hear him on SEN and he is so bias.

AndrewP6
01-07-2019, 05:52 PM
A mixed bag on the injury front. CD to miss 3-4 weeks with a hammy. Wallis in the frame to return.

bornadog
01-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Mitch Wallis
ankle
Test

Callum Porter
quad
Test

Billy Gowers
ankle
2-4 weeks

Tom Liberatore
knee
2-4 weeks

Caleb Daniel
hamstring
3-4 weeks

Lukas Webb
ankle
3-4 weeks

Fergus Greene
shoulder
Season

Axe Man
08-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Mostly good news with Libba and Gowers potentially back, Gardner avoiding an ACL and Daniel now listed as 1-2 weeks away.

Liberatore a test for Dees clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-07-08/liberatore-a-test-for-dees-clash?fbclid=IwAR1wWiBBNW8bU_8l3QmD3U885LCYGDILOSdkDw1Km-pnKrYxpN9OFb2FQg4)

Midfielder Tom Liberatore has been named as a test for Sunday afternoon’s clash with Melbourne at Marvel Stadium.

Liberatore will return to full training this week after successfully completing his rehabilitation program following a cartilage injury to his knee during the Round 13 clash with Carlton.

Medical Services Manager, Chris Bell, said Liberatore has made great progress.

“Tom has flown through his rehab following the surgery that he had on his knee to fix the cartilage injury,” Bell said.

“He’s back into full training this week and will be a test to return to playing this weekend.”

Billy Gowers could also be available to play after overcoming an ankle injury.

“Billy has ticked our final stages of his rehab and comes into full training this week,” Bell said.

“If he gets through training as we’d expect, he’ll return to playing this weekend.”

However, there were two injuries to come out of Footscray’s big win against Richmond.

Ryan Gardner is expected to miss the next seven to nine weeks with a knee injury, while Lewis Young will be assessed following a heavy knock to his back.

“During the fourth quarter of the game, Ryan went up for a ruck contest and had a heavy clash to the front of his knee, causing him to damage the posterior cruciate ligament,” Bell said.

“He will be required to be in a brace for the next four weeks to allow the ligament to heal. A more accurate timeframe for his return to play plan will become clearer after the next four weeks.

“Lewis received a heavy knock to his back and has come in quite sore today. We will work through a process with Lewis this week to determine his availability for this weekend.”

https://i.postimg.cc/rFxPWGYd/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

bornadog
08-07-2019, 06:34 PM
He forgot to mention Sweet - not good enough

Eastdog
08-07-2019, 06:40 PM
He forgot to mention Sweet - not good enough

Yep agree BAD got to be better.

GVGjr
08-07-2019, 07:10 PM
The cavalry is coming, we are getting the reinforcements in time for the next 4 weeks

Grantysghost
08-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Libba spoke before the game on Saturday night to supporters and said he'd be back this week. Issue was a flap of cartlidge that was removed I'm not sure what that means but it's what I recall. Others may be more aware :cool:

bornadog
09-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Mixed injury news for Western Bulldogs (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mixed-injury-news-for-western-bulldogs-20190709-p525j8.html)

Western Bulldogs midfielder Tom Liberatore will test his injured knee this week in a bid to play against Melbourne, but Mitch Wallis remains frustrated as his recovery from an ankle injury drags on.

Liberatore had surgery to repair cartilage damage sustained in round 13, but has progressed well through his rehabilitation

He will take part in Thursday's main training session hopeful of a return against the Demons at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

"It's going all right at the moment but we'll see how it goes Thursday and how it pulls up from there," Liberatore said.

"It was a four-to-five week injury, so it's all going as planned."

Wallis has been missing since round 10 when he suffered a stress fracture in an ankle and will play a second game at VFL level this weekend as he attempts to shake off continued soreness.

"It's fairly frustrating because there's no fix, there's no limit on the time when I'll be back to 100 per cent," Wallis said.

"That's the nature of a stress fracture but I'm going to give it another crack this weekend in the VFL and play a full game unrestricted and just see how it pulls up.

"We've been really conservative with the management of it because it's not fixed but we'll see how it pulls up, then make decisions after the game."

Forward Billy Gowers will test the ankle he hurt in round 11 in a bid to return to the AFL side.

Ryan Gardner, who played two AFL games after he was plucked from the Footscray VFL side at the mid-season draft, has suffered a knee injury at VFL level and will be out for up to nine weeks.

ledge
10-07-2019, 08:41 AM
I wonder how bad Sweet is , ice on the leg at 3/4 time, could be nothing could be something.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Wally gets the knife.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ankle-surgery-likely-for-bulldog-wallis-20190716-p527la.html
Get well soon Napoleon

bornadog
16-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Injury update: Round 18

Midfielder Tom Liberatore and defender Caleb Daniel are in the mix to face St Kilda on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium.

The Bulldogs will be forced to make at least one change for the Saints clash, with midfielder-forward Toby McLean ruled out for two-three weeks after sustaining a low-grade hamstring injury in the opening term against Melbourne.

Vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli remains in contention to play against the Saints, after sustaining an ankle injury in the Bulldogs’ win against Melbourne on Sunday.

“Marcus had his ankle caught in a tackle in the second quarter,” Bulldogs’ medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“This has caused Marcus to damage one of the ligaments in his ankle… We’ll work through a process with Marcus this week and make a decision on his availability after the main training session on Friday.

“Tom and Caleb have continued to train really well.

“Tom will fully train this week, and we expect him to be available.

“Caleb completed a game-like rehab session during the weekend. He pulled up really well from the session and does have some boxes to tick for us this week, and we’ll make a decision on his availability towards the back-end of the week.”

In a significant injury blow for the Bulldogs, experienced midfielder Mitch Wallis will be sidelined indefinitely.

After coming back from injury to play the past two weeks in the VFL, Wallis will now undergo surgery to fix the bone stress injury in his ankle injury which saw him miss a month of football after round 10

“Mitch continues to suffer some persistent symptoms from the bone stress fracture in the front of his ankle,” Bell said.
“We’ve tried to do everything we can for Mitch, to manage his injury without having to resort to surgery.

“Mitch will have to have surgery on the ankle, which will happen later this week.”

A timeframe around Wallis’ return will become clearer post-surgery.

Player
Injury
Duration

Marcus Bontempelli
ankle
test

Tom Liberatore
knee
test

Caleb Daniel
hamstring
test

Lewis Young
back
test

Toby McLean
hamstring
2-3 weeks

Lukas Webb
ankle
2-3 weeks

Ryan Gardner
knee
6-7 weeks

Mitch Wallis
ankle
indefinite

Fergus Greene
shoulder
season

Axe Man
16-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Not sure why Cavarra isn't on that list? He spoke in the social club on Sunday as he was injured once again (I forget what the injury was now).

Axe Man
16-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Weak as P for not including him.

At least with Sweet last week he didn't actually miss a game, but strange Cavarra is missing. It's not like we are playing games with the opposition when it comes to a player that hasn't even debuted yet.

bornadog
16-07-2019, 04:14 PM
At least with Sweet last week he didn't actually miss a game, but strange Cavarra is missing. It's not like we are playing games with the opposition when it comes to a player that hasn't even debuted yet.

With Sweet, he ended up playing, but at least the medicos can say something, as we all saw him strapped up in the game.

I don't know if they realise what they are doing by not reporting these things.

Doc26
17-07-2019, 09:16 AM
Injury update: Round 18

“Mitch continues to suffer some persistent symptoms from the bone stress fracture in the front of his ankle,” Bell said.
“We’ve tried to do everything we can for Mitch, to manage his injury without having to resort to surgery.

“Mitch will have to have surgery on the ankle, which will happen later this week.”

A timeframe around Wallis’ return will become clearer

This sounds worrying for Mitch and the Club. Persistent bone stress requiring surgery to the lower leg.
Would seem season ending with 6 weeks of home and away remaining.

Rest up and recover well young man.

bornadog
22-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Schache a test for Dockers clash (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-07-22/schache-a-test-for-dockers-clash)

Key forward Josh Schache will be a test to face Fremantle this weekend after suffering a concussion during Sunday’s clash with St Kilda.

Schache sustained the injury going back with the flight to spoil in the Bulldogs’ defensive 50.

“Josh suffered a concussion in the third quarter and was ruled out of the game by our doctors,” Western Bulldogs medical services manager, Chris Bell, said.

“Josh will follow our normal concussion process this week, and once we’re 100 per cent confident that he’s passed all of his tests, we’ll determine his availability.”

Meanwhile, Ed Richards could return to football this week after missing Sunday’s match with hamstring tightness and draftee Laitham Vandermeer is a test after suffering some tightness in his calf.

“Both players are high speed athletes and we didn’t want to take any risks going into the weekend’s game,” Bell said.

“Laitham and Ed were rested, and we will assess them over the next few days to determine their availability.”

Footscray has a bye this week, with Ben Cavarra and Lukas Webb on target to return for the Bulldogs’ VFL fixture.

“Ben – who had a minor shoulder complaint – and Lukas – who had a syndesmosis and fibula fracture – have been progressing really well over the last couple of weeks,” Bell said.

“With the VFL bye this weekend, both players will look to build continuity in their training, and be looking to come back into the team the week following.”

Player
Injury
Duration

Ben Cavarra (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/ben-cavarra)
shoulder
test

Ed Richards (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/ed-richards)
hamstring
test

Josh Schache (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/josh-schache)
concussion
test

Laitham Vandermeer (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/laitham-vandermeer)
calf
test

Toby McLean (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/toby-mclean)
hamstring
1-2 weeks

Ryan Gardner (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/ryan-gardner)
knee
4-6 weeks

Mitch Wallis (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/mitch-wallis)
ankle
indefinite

Fergus Greene (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/player-profile/fergus-greene)
shoulder
season

* Injury list updated on Monday 22 July, 2019

Axe Man
22-07-2019, 06:49 PM
At least they realised that Cavarra was injured this week.

bornadog
22-07-2019, 09:49 PM
At least they realised that Cavarra was injured this week.

Yeah I did send a tweet to the club complaining :)

bornadog
29-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Really hoping and praying for a miracle today.

Mofra
29-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Really hoping and praying for a miracle today.
Ditto. Stranger things have happened.

bornadog
29-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Dale Morris has had scans on injured knee. Will consult with specialist to confirm extent of damage but admits things don’t look good.

Not making a call on future just yet. Leaving door open for 2020 even if worst case scenario

If this is an ACL, and he has the operation, that means a year out.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-07-2019, 03:54 PM
If this is an ACL, and he has the operation, that means a year out.

That means back in time for a few games before finals.

bornadog
29-07-2019, 05:50 PM
Morris to undergo reconstruction

Veteran defender Dale Morris will undergo an ACL reconstruction on his left knee.

Morris reinjured the knee in Sunday’s win against Fremantle at Marvel Stadium, coming from the field in the third quarter and not returning.

The 36-year-old sustained an ACL injury during the pre-season, with Morris and the Club opting against surgery to repair the injury in a bid to see him return to the field in 2019.

It was the second year running – albeit to different knees – that Morris injured an ACL during pre-season.

He returned at AFL level in round 11 last year and played 11 matches for the season.

This year, Morris played four successful matches at VFL level, before reinjuring his knee in his AFL return.

Scans today have confirmed the severity of the injury.

“Dale will undergo a conventional ACL reconstruction today,” medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“Although he passed every test, ticked every box in rehab and returned to play a month of VFL football, unfortunately Dale’s knee was unable to withstand the high demands of AFL football.”

In positive news, the Bulldogs could have some selection headaches this week with multiple players set to return from injury.

Toby McLean (hamstring) and Matt Suckling (back) both trained fully over the weekend and will be available for selection – alongside key forward Josh Schache (concussion) – if they get through training this week.

After a bye at VFL level, Ben Cavarra (shoulder), Lukas Webb (ankle) and Laitham Vandermeer (calf) are also in the frame to return to play this week provided they get through training.

bornadog
29-07-2019, 05:53 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Ben Cavarra
shoulder
test

Toby McLean
hamstring
test

Josh Schache
concussion
test

Matt Suckling
back
test

Laitham Vandermeer
calf
test

Lukas Webb
ankle
test

Ryan Gardner
knee
4-6 weeks

Mitch Wallis
ankle
indefinite

Fergus Greene
shoulder
season

Dale Morris
knee
season

Eastdog
29-07-2019, 06:51 PM
I wish Dale Morris all the best in his recovery. I hope this is not the last will see of him out there in the red white and blue.

Axe Man
06-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Daniel hamstrung again (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-08-06/daniel-hamstrung-again)

Rebounding defender Caleb Daniel will miss this week’s important clash with Essendon, after sustaining a hamstring injury against the Brisbane Lions.

Daniel returned from a hamstring injury a fortnight ago, but unfortunately has sustained another injury to the same leg.

“Although he got through the game on the weekend, Caleb reported some hamstring tightness, with scans confirming that he has damaged his hamstring,” medical services manager Chris Bell said.

“We’re still to set out his exact time frame, and we’ll confirm this in the coming weeks.”

Hayden Crozier is a test to face the Bombers, despite injuring his ankle in the dying seconds against the Lions when landing from his JLT Mark of the Year contender.

Scans have revealed he has damaged a ligament in his ankle.

“We are working around the clock to prepare Hayden for this weekend’s game, but we’ll make a decision on his availability later in the week,” Bell said.

Fellow defender Taylor Duryea, who was withdrawn from the Bulldogs’ squad last week due to groin tightness, is also a chance to return.

https://i.postimg.cc/1txwX4MC/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

GVGjr
06-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Shame for Daniel, frustrating to get the same injury issue so soon after the original problem

Bulldog4life
11-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Our medical team and fitness and conditioning team copped a bit of flak on WOOF last season, unnecessary to an extent. I think they deserve a big tick for their work this season. Bevo has on multiple occasions spoke very highly of them.

LostDoggy
11-08-2019, 04:57 PM
Our medical team and fitness and conditioning team copped a bit o flak on WOOF last season, unnecessary to an extent. I think they deserve a big tick for their work this season. Bevo has on multiple occasions spoke very highly of them.
Agree. They have excelled this season.
Due to a bomber thrashing induced semi coma, I had the opportunity to Kayo the Clay open mike. That guy. Love.
No one was going to stop him from getting back on the field with part of a knee.

bornadog
11-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Agree. They have excelled this season.
Due to a bomber thrashing induced semi coma, I had the opportunity to Kayo the Clay open mike. That guy. Love.
No one was going to stop him from getting back on the field with part of a knee.

Bevo also praised the conditioning and medicos in the way they have worked with players this season, particularly Dunkley. The work that Dunkley, Bont and Crozier did in the USA came from a contact from the head of conditioning.

We are also now working on similar programmes.

bornadog
12-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Looks like Tom's knee is still an issue.

No other injury worries at this stage.

ledge
12-08-2019, 07:26 PM
Looks like Tom's knee is still an issue.

No other injury worries at this stage.

Surprised Daniel is out for 6-8 weeks, that escalated.

bornadog
12-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Player
Injury
Duration

Tom Liberatore
knee
TBC

Ryan Gardner
knee
2-4 weeks

Caleb Daniel