PDA

View Full Version : Footy arrogance

GVGjr
13-01-2019, 09:15 PM
I guess you need to be a fairly confident person to be a successful footy person let alone a superstar and AFL footy has even had its share of people that exude arrogance.

Over the years has there been a footy person that really strikes you as an arrogant so and so and ind that you wouldn't really want to meet?

I have a couple of ex star players and coaches that really grate me becuase they are so arrogant but I'd really likd to hear from others before I nominate mine. Remember they can be a coach, player or commentor.

LostDoggy
13-01-2019, 11:01 PM
Matthew Knights always annoyed me, just something about his body language irked me.
Wayne Carey an obvious one.
T Greene the current undisputed and unified champ.

Hotdog60
13-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Dustin Martin.
His one hand push offs which quite a few appear to be head high that get largely unpunished and when does he gives the ump a look of you got it wrong.

He gives the persona of a fairly confident person and maybe ego to match. I've never met him and don't really want too.
May be the nicest guy under the sun from outside looking in he exude arrogance.

Twodogs
13-01-2019, 11:10 PM
I guess you need to be a fairly confident person to be a successful footy person let alone a superstar and AFL footy has even had its share of people that exude arrogance.

Over the years has there been a footy person that really strikes you as an arrogant so and so and ind that you wouldn't really want to meet?

I have a couple of ex star players and coaches that really grate me becuase they are so arrogant but I'd really likd to hear from others before Inominate mine. Remember they can be a coach, player or commentor.

Add arrogant commentator to arrogant ex player and coach and you could be describing Leigh Matthews. He really thought that his shit didn't stink, I saw several people say hello to him at the football and he would just blank them. I even sawone bloke say hello, Matthews ignored so the bloke stepped across (maybe thinking that he hadn't heard him) in front of his and Matthews turned his head away and stepped around him. I don't know how the bloke restrain himself, if he'd done it to me I'd have decked the little *!*!*!*!-and then probably have leant over and yelled something like "that's for Barrie Robran" in his face. But I can be a bit of a psycho sometimes!

Twodogs
13-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Dustin Martin.
His one hand push offs which quite a few appear to be head high that get largely unpunished and when does he gives the ump a look of you got it wrong.

He gives the persona of a fairly confident person and maybe ego to match. I've never met him and don't really want too.
May be the nicest guy under the sun from outside looking in he exude arrogance.

I get the opposite from Martin. I don't like him but to me he looks like a scared kid rather than arrogant turd most of the time. And the look he gives the umpire is more "I don't understand what just happened" rather than "you got that one wrong"

bornadog
14-01-2019, 12:11 AM
The whole of GWS.

strebla
14-01-2019, 01:41 AM
Two Dogs named my first but Alister Lynch is a close second I just can't forgive that choking gesture it irks me to this day !!!

GVGjr
14-01-2019, 06:43 AM
My first nomination is Malcolm Blight. Star player, successful coach he but loves nothing more than talking about how good he was.
I find it very hard to listen to him now but in fairness he's been full of himself for years and from memory he gave one of the more self absorbed Brownlow medal acceptance speeches. The word was that he was tipped off before hand that he had won it and with a bit of advanced notice he didn't miss praising himself.

Michael 'Mick' Mallthouse last several years in the media have been so self absorbed its painful to listen to him. The fact that he still hasn't shaken off the way he departed Collingwood shows that he thinks he is bigger than the game and he is owed something.
He was the 'my way or the highway' type coach but his media career hasn't softened him and I don't think he can easily share the spot light.

It's a shame because Mick deserves to be remembered in a better light rather than being bitter and arrogant.

comrade
14-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Every Essendon fan born in the 1980s & 1990s...

Happy Days
14-01-2019, 02:14 PM
Paul Roos - holier than thou pseudo science worshiping moron who was credited with turning the Dees around before he even walked through their door. Alleged footballing mastermind who couldn't think of anything better to do with a team that had Barry Hall, Adam Goodes and more money than everyone else than to flood stoppages and play listless boring footy.

MrMahatma
14-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Grant Thomas

hujsh
14-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Paul Roos - holier than thou pseudo science worshiping moron who was credited with turning the Dees around before he even walked through their door. Alleged footballing mastermind who couldn't think of anything better to do with a team that had Barry Hall, Adam Goodes and more money than everyone else than to flood stoppages and play listless boring footy.

The adds for his podcast are real annoying and smug too

jeemak
14-01-2019, 03:27 PM

Yep, Paul Roos has always been extremely fond of Paul Roos in a kind of sickly way.

What pseudo science is he into (apart from believing his own bath water gives him super powers)?

GVGjr
14-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Is it Roos or his disciples? I agree he receives more credits for things in progress than completed but I don't find him to be genuinely arrogant. If others are talking him up I don't necessarily hold that against him.

Happy Days
14-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Yep, Paul Roos has always been extremely fond of Paul Roos in a kind of sickly way.

What pseudo science is he into (apart from believing his own bath water gives him super powers)?

He got his wife put on to the Dees staff as a "mindfulness consultant" for around $500k a year (allegedly).

Take a look at this shit - https://www.tamiroos.com

Mofra
14-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Not yet mention as arrogant - Jeremy Cameron. Jake Stringer is supremely arrogant.

Conversely some players really catch you off-guard with their humility. Gia a notable one.

bornadog
14-01-2019, 04:08 PM
Is it Roos or his disciples? I agree he receives more credits for things in progress than completed but I don't find him to be genuinely arrogant. If others are talking him up I don't necessarily hold that against him.

I agree with HD, can't stand the bloke. Others also believe him as well, that is how convincing he is. It also goes right back to when he played as well.

GVGjr
14-01-2019, 04:48 PM
I agree with HD, can't stand the bloke. Others also believe him as well, that is how convincing he is. It also goes right back to when he played as well.

Just to clarify the thread isn't about who you hate or despise and it's more around identifying the more arrogant types that have clearly crossed the line between confidence and arrogance.
For example Robo talks up Brereton like he is a god but I don't blame Brereton for that.

Has Roos actually crossed that line with self promoting or talking up his achievements?
He may have but I can't recall it.

EasternWest
14-01-2019, 05:21 PM
I went to a small bucks day (5 people) and Blake Caracella was one of them. He's fond of himself to say the least.

jeemak
14-01-2019, 05:34 PM
I went to a small bucks day (5 people) and Blake Caracella was one of them. He's fond of himself to say the least.

You can't crease a man's shirt EW.

Dry Rot
14-01-2019, 06:45 PM

What about his former team mate Matthew Lloyd?

Right proper arrogant knob.

And Gary Lyon doesn't know as much about footy as he thinks.

Remi Moses
14-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Had a mate of an uncle who was the head of a Fitzroy Coiteree group .
Reckons Roos is one of the most arrogant people he’d ever met .

Axe Man
14-01-2019, 07:13 PM
Nathan Brown has always come across as full of himself.

EasternWest
14-01-2019, 09:18 PM
You can't crease a man's shirt EW.

Ha ha ha I can't believe you remember that Jee. That's gold.

Dry Rot
14-01-2019, 10:36 PM

How good a player was Roos?

mjp
14-01-2019, 11:29 PM
From my interactions, Matthew Lloyd was a genuinely nice bloke and someone I really enjoyed spending time with.

I have to agree - I THOUGHT he would be an arrogant so-and-so but I really liked him...being stuck on a tour bus with someone for a few weeks tends to bring out their worst as well I would have thought!

mjp
14-01-2019, 11:32 PM

That may be so BUT...when I was spending time with him he was the ex-senior coach of the Swans and still had really good knowledge and personal interest about some of the kids in the Swans academy (which at the time included Dunkley, Mills etc) and I guess I was impressed in the way he was doing his job/way he cared about people...doesn't mean he isn't arrogant of course, but.

Dry Rot
14-01-2019, 11:33 PM
From my interactions, Matthew Lloyd was a genuinely nice bloke and someone I really enjoyed spending time with.

I have to agree - I THOUGHT he would be an arrogant so-and-so but I really liked him...being stuck on a tour bus with someone for a few weeks tends to bring out their worst as well I would have thought!

Thanks for that. Fair enough.

I was secretly a big Lucas fan. But let's not turn this into a past Bombers players thread. :)

Bulldog Revolution
14-01-2019, 11:44 PM

Amazing - I had someone else tell me a very similar story once - it was at the races - Ive played other sports against him and he was/is an utter flog - basically hogged it so his team couldnt win - took all the low percentage plays, and had no understanding thats what you were allowing him to do - basically letting his ego consume him.

Roosy is a flog in my eyes - he just loves himself too much - oozes arrogance - he won one flag, but I bet the more modest footy people at the Swans did a lot of the shielded his massive ego from the player in order to get them there - I'll concede he has some coaching ability, but ultimately his ego stops him for being able to work with a group for too long.

Garry Lyon and lots of the other sunday and former thursday footy show flunkies have drunk far too much of their own bathwater

Twodogs
14-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Roos blamed Melbourne supporters for the form of be the team at a presser not long after he took over there. A fundamental lack of ability to accept blame (because you are so good, it couldn't possibly anything you are doing that is going wrong) is a huge mark of arrogance I reckon.

Doc26
15-01-2019, 12:35 AM
1. Dwayne Russell
2. Damien Barrett
3. Scott brothers
4. North pseudo tough guys
5. Most Hawthorn supporters
6. All Essendon supporters

hujsh
15-01-2019, 10:09 AM
He got his wife put on to the Dees staff as a "mindfulness consultant" for around $500k a year (allegedly).

Take a look at this shit - https://www.tamiroos.com
"Intuitive Healer" is a fun one

Mofra
15-01-2019, 10:09 AM
James Brayshaw - worked with the MMM guys, Billy was very friendly and pretty much like you see on screen. JB was next level arrogant.

Happy Days
15-01-2019, 02:16 PM
James Brayshaw - worked with the MMM guys, Billy was very friendly and pretty much like you see on screen. JB was next level arrogant.

I don't know anything about him personally except that he drinks mid-strength Peronis so you're probably right.

EasternWest
15-01-2019, 08:59 PM
Amazing - I had someone else tell me a very similar story once - it was at the races

Are you sure that wasn't me? The bucks started at the races before the Caracella "flog de resistance" crumpled suit incident.

Bulldog Revolution
17-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Are you sure that wasn't me? The bucks started at the races before the Caracella "flog de resistance" crumpled suit incident.

It might well have been - did it involve you getting a lift with him after the races?

jeemak
17-01-2019, 03:31 PM
It might well have been - did it involve you getting a lift with him after the races?

More accurately NOT getting a lift with Blake.

jeemak
17-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Seems his son has inherited some of that arrogance...……….

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/james-brayshaw-s-son-on-assault-drug-charges-after-portsea-nye-party-20190115-p50rjk.html

EasternWest
17-01-2019, 04:08 PM

Yup.

More accurately NOT getting a lift with Blake.

Yuuuuup. Geez his suit looked good though.

EasternWest
17-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Seems his son has inherited some of that arrogance...……….

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/james-brayshaw-s-son-on-assault-drug-charges-after-portsea-nye-party-20190115-p50rjk.html

What a douche.

Jeanette54
17-01-2019, 05:52 PM
To me I guess arrogance isn't offensive if someone can back it up with results.

The most apparently arrogant sportsman I have ever seen on any sports field was West Indian Viv Richards. His whole body language thing made even his opponents question whether they had earned the right to be on the same field as him. Most times he had won the battle before it had even started.

However if you talk to old players there has never been a nicer bloke, off the field.

Testekill
17-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Roos blamed Melbourne supporters for the form of be the team at a presser not long after he took over there. A fundamental lack of ability to accept blame (because you are so good, it couldn't possibly anything you are doing that is going wrong) is a huge mark of arrogance I reckon.

Roos was responsible for everything good for Melbourne and anything bad was because of the old regime. That's how he approached things

HOSE B ROMERO
01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Two Dogs named my first but Alister Lynch is a close second I just can't forgive that choking gesture it irks me to this day !!!

That still irks me 20 years later! Also his behaviour towards Wakelin in the grand final .

HOSE B ROMERO
01-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Every Essendon fan born in the 1980s & 1990s...

Incorrect answer. Should read '60's, 70's, 80's & 90's.

Ghost Dog
01-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Can think of many. Brendan Fevola one of the great 'buffoons' - But his arrogance was a saving grace for Carlton in Dark Ages of Elliot era. Blues fans had little else to turn up for than to watch him act out.

'Stops out' Toby Greene.

Damien Barrett, Hutchy, Robbo and Caroline Wilson. Scraping the bottom of the sports journalism barrel with this lot. But wrap these steaming turds, spray it gold and label it ' Walkley Award winning Journalist'. She'll be right.

Ross Lyon's Press conferences could only be called arrogant. Mick Malthouse wasn't much better to the Journos. At times I felt they were going after journalists as a way of deflecting attention from their player's performances on field. Borderline bullying in some cases.

ledge
01-03-2019, 10:38 PM
James Hird is the most arrogant bloke I ever came across, his attitude to his own supporters was a disgrace.
I saw him completely ignore his own fans who were applauding him and blowing so far up his arse.
Couldn’t even give a smile or a wave.

ledge
01-03-2019, 10:44 PM
To me I guess arrogance isn't offensive if someone can back it up with results.

The most apparently arrogant sportsman I have ever seen on any sports field was West Indian Viv Richards. His whole body language thing made even his opponents question whether they had earned the right to be on the same field as him. Most times he had won the battle before it had even started.

However if you talk to old players there has never been a nicer bloke, off the field.

I met Viv a few times the bloke is just an out and out legend I was around 14 at the time , he signed my bat and is the coolest guy in the world , if I was to have a man crush it’s him, the ultimate in how he carries himself on and off the field , true gentleman.
And I would also say every cricketer would love to be him or would have copied him in some way growing up in the 70s.
If anyone can be Arrogant and loved it’s him.
I would class him as the Muhammad Ali of cricket.

KT31
03-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Have to agree with Ledge on Hird, have experienced his arrogance first hand twice and he is an absolute tosser.
Gary Ayers also possesses a huge arrogance gene, I had to laugh a few years back when we sacked Macca and he was talked about interviewing to coaching us.
He mentioned how good he was and we would come running to him.
Thank #*}+ we put on Bevo.