PDA

View Full Version : Does the crime fit the time.

Hotdog60
13-02-2019, 10:49 PM
Giant to miss Blues clash after ban for bump

GREATER Western Sydney defender Nicola Barr will miss the club's match against Carlton after receiving a one-match suspension from the AFL Tribunal for rough conduct against North Melbourne midfielder Ash Riddell.

The Roo had landed awkwardly and suffered a right ankle syndesmosis injury, which will likely keep her out for 4-6 weeks and could require surgery.

LINK (https://womens.afl/news/16449/giant-to-miss-blues-clash-after-ban-for-bump)

As the Women's season is so short I wonder if the penalty for an off the ball bump which caused a significate injury was fair.

In play even if it's rough conduct, it is in the play but miles away is spiteful.

Would the punishment be more fairer if the ban was the length of time that injured player is diagnosed to be off for in this case 4-6 weeks. If they return to senior level before that time the offending player can also return.

bornadog
13-02-2019, 11:09 PM

GREATER Western Sydney defender Nicola Barr will miss the club's match against Carlton after receiving a one-match suspension from the AFL Tribunal for rough conduct against North Melbourne midfielder Ash Riddell.

The Roo had landed awkwardly and suffered a right ankle syndesmosis injury, which will likely keep her out for 4-6 weeks and could require surgery.

LINK (https://womens.afl/news/16449/giant-to-miss-blues-clash-after-ban-for-bump)

As the Women's season is so short I wonder if the penalty for an off the ball bump which caused a significate injury was fair.

In play even if it's rough conduct, it is in the play but miles away is spiteful.

Would the punishment be more fairer if the ban was the length of time that injured player is diagnosed to be off for in this case 4-6 weeks. If they return to senior level before that time the offending player can also return.

MY wife always says that rule should come in with the AFL. It has merit.

westdog54
13-02-2019, 11:22 PM

Given this doesn't happen in AFL I can't see why it should apply to AFLW.

The league sets the length of the season, not the players. Lengthening suspension periods owing to the shortened season makes no sense whatsoever.

boydogs
14-02-2019, 04:44 AM
That's not even a free kick

Hotdog60
14-02-2019, 06:30 AM
Given this doesn't happen in AFL I can't see why it should apply to AFLW.

The league sets the length of the season, not the players. Lengthening suspension periods owing to the shortened season makes no sense whatsoever.

Maybe it should be across codes. If Toby Green bumps the Bont off the ball which is 30 metres down field and the result of the bump give the Bont concussion and is out for 6 weeks plus the long term effects we are without our star player for 6 weeks while GWS loss Green for 3 weeks for rough conduct who is worst off.

If a player decides to break the rules shouldn't the check books balance.

Hotdog60
14-02-2019, 06:33 AM
That's not even a free kick

It did look like nothing was in it but because it resulted in a long term injury the little bump had a greater consequence.

If Riddell had got straight up nothing would have been done.

mjp
14-02-2019, 01:59 PM
This is like tackling someone and their knee gets caught under them and they do an ACL. There is 100% nothing in the incident and I still can't believe it is a suspension.

If you punch someone and break their jaw...fine. If you bump them, they land awkwardly and come out of it with a high ankle sprain (syndesmosis), well, that's just plain bad luck.

Murphy'sLore
14-02-2019, 04:12 PM
I do like the idea of suspending the offending player for as long as the player is injured -- if it means Toby Greene is out for a year. However the trouble is that offences always seem to be judged in light of the severity of the injury caused, rather than the intent behind the action, so I can see it backfiring majorly.

AndrewP6
14-02-2019, 11:25 PM
I just watched footage. I'm not even a follower of AFLW but to suspend someone for that is laughable. Won't do the league any favours in gaining credibility.

westdog54
15-02-2019, 04:33 AM
I do like the idea of suspending the offending player for as long as the player is injured -- if it means Toby Greene is out for a year. However the trouble is that offences always seem to be judged in light of the severity of the injury caused, rather than the intent behind the action, so I can see it backfiring majorly.

This. Exactly this. The whole 'suspend them for as long as the player is injured' mentality is sheer bloody-mindedness that has no practical application.

Axe Man
15-02-2019, 12:29 PM
If an injury is reasonably foreseeable from the action, ie elbow someone to the face and break their jaw, then certainly the injury should factor into the penalty. But it should only be a factor, I think the intent is more important as injuries often come down to luck. Bumping someone and them hurting their ankle is not an expected outcome and shouldn't factor in the penalty handed down.