PDA

View Full Version : Picken retiring ?

ledge
18-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Stories on radio this afternoon a western bulldog will announce his retirement.
I can only think it’s Liam, sad news for us fans, but your health and family are more important.

EasternWest
18-02-2019, 12:53 PM
Honestly for his sake I hope so.

For our sake I would be pretty disappointed. I imagine in the fullness of time Liam will be a pretty revered character at our club.

Mofra
18-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Sad he couldn't just get those two more games.

cinder
18-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Someone on Facebook reckons the club have come out and said that's fake news, I personally didn't hear it though or the original story.

G-Mo77
18-02-2019, 02:22 PM
I heard this morning about a Bulldog Senior playing retiring. It would be Picken if that was the case, surely. I worry more that he does go on and does more damage to himself.

Topdog
18-02-2019, 02:34 PM
Honestly for his sake I hope so.

For our sake I would be pretty disappointed. I imagine in the fullness of time Liam will be a pretty revered character at our club.

Yeah agreed. Credit to him for giving it another go but 3 young kids and another 50 years to live.

Murphy'sLore
18-02-2019, 02:35 PM
If anyone has earned an honourable retirement, it's Picken. But such a shame if his career ends on this note, but better safe than sorry.

ledge
18-02-2019, 03:05 PM
It could be Boyd or Webb though , Boyd’s back and Webb’s neck.

Eastdog
18-02-2019, 03:40 PM
We would miss Picko playing if he does call his retirement but I would understand considering his concussion issues which have affected him for a good year now. His health should be his prime concern now. He deserves a send off match if does choose to retire even if he doesn’t play in it.

Doc26
18-02-2019, 03:51 PM
I heard this morning about a Bulldog Senior playing retiring. It would be Picken if that was the case, surely. I worry more that he does go on and does more damage to himself.

Ricky Nixon tweeted it this morning.

From Nixon.

Big Bulldog News could be on the agenda today with Liam Picken set to announce his future soon. I think common sense has prevailed. Your health is the new wealth

Who knows?

Dry Rot
18-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Sad but sensible news.

So if true, who do we replace him with? Wonder if that will be announced too?

bulldogtragic
18-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Sad but sensible news.

So if true, who do we replace him with? Wonder if that will be announced too?

This might be an answer. It was written for Carlton and Docherty being out for the season. We have 3 weeks to use it if someone appeals, so it might account for the timing too:

A NEW AFL rule allowing clubs to sign previously listed players as Category A rookies will give Carlton until the eve of the 2019 season to replace injured co-captain Sam Docherty.

The Blues were dealt a significant blow on Monday, with Docherty expected to miss his second successive season after again rupturing the ACL on his troublesome left knee.

Previously, clubs couldn't replace players who had suffered season-ending injuries or who had unexpectedly retired after list lodgement deadlines had fallen.

However, the AFL's recently introduced pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) rules now enable clubs to replenish their lists with new signings through until March 15.

Carlton was among a host of clubs which already had one rookie spot available for an SSP signing after the trade and draft period, but can now move Docherty to its long-term injury list to create a second vacancy on its rookie list.

The rules give the Blues flexibility to potentially replace Docherty and have said they will explore the possibility of doing so in the future, though it's understood they are unlikely to make a call on signing any new players until after Christmas.

AshMac
21-02-2019, 07:10 PM
Huge shame if true - he is immortal.

Some things more important though.

Topdog
22-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Looks like Ricky was wrong yet again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Looks like Ricky was wrong yet again.

Well he's nothing if not consistent!

The Bulldogs Bite
22-02-2019, 03:13 PM
I’m not convinced Picken plays again but I’ve seen him doing a lot of running on the track with a few other boys most mornings. Definitely not the look of a guy about to pull the pin.

Murphy'sLore
22-02-2019, 03:23 PM
I think he has said he's still getting headaches. Would love to see him reach his 200 though.

bornadog
12-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Ricky Nixon thinks he will announce this week as Friday is deadline to replace players on the list.

Perhaps tonight during Jumper presentation.

GVGjr
13-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Ricky Nixon thinks he will announce this week as Friday is deadline to replace players on the list.

He got on and off the stage quickly tonight. They mentioned there would be a couple of announcements at the start of the night and I wondered if Picken would be one of them but nothing mentioned. We talked about Picko at length on the table I was sitting on

Axe Man
13-03-2019, 12:29 PM

I'm never going to put any credence in a sentence that begins with "Ricky Nixon thinks..."!

Besides there will also be another chance to add to the list after Friday via the mid season draft.

AshMac
14-03-2019, 09:21 AM
The Friday deadline is the best reason I’ve heard of why an announcement might come - but wouldn’t have thought they’d wait for Friday with the chance to salute him like the legend he is at the season opening.

Having said all this, I feel like it might be the clubs decision rather than his if it happens.

Very tough call, interested in others thoughts on whether he should stay or go if there is a high chance he won’t play this year?

To me, although I idolise him - we have to put the team first over a single player.

bornadog
14-03-2019, 10:02 AM
The Friday deadline is the best reason I’ve heard of why an announcement might come - but wouldn’t have thought they’d wait for Friday with the chance to salute him like the legend he is at the season opening.

Having said all this, I feel like it might be the clubs decision rather than his if it happens.

Very tough call, interested in others thoughts on whether he should stay or go if there is a high chance he won’t play this year?

To me, although I idolise him - we have to put the team first over a single player.

how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing, especially if they are over 30

GVGjr
14-03-2019, 10:34 AM
how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing, especially if they are over 30

Is age really the issue? The players health should be the consideration not his age.

Mofra
14-03-2019, 10:58 AM
He's contracted so it's not like we're saving cap space.

Anybody we sign now would be marginal at best so I'm not sure Picken retiring would have much (if any) discernible impact on our list.

azabob
14-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Is age really the issue? The players health should be the consideration not his age.

I don't think BAD meant it like that.

My view is as a club we owe it to Liam to see him through this and support him anyway possible. If that means keeping him on the list and paying his salary and ongoing medical costs so be it.

I'm sure we all feel that way.

GVGjr
14-03-2019, 08:23 PM
I don't think BAD meant it like that.

My view is as a club we owe it to Liam to see him through this and support him anyway possible. If that means keeping him on the list and paying his salary and ongoing medical costs so be it.

I'm sure we all feel that way.

I'm sure he didn't but why even make reference about the age of the player to start with?

Had he said "how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing?" without the "especially if they are over 30" I think makes for a more appropriate question
To me it's definitely not a question about age, it's very much about if he is likely to recover so hopefully the club and player will make the right call.

bornadog
14-03-2019, 09:31 PM
I'm sure he didn't but why even make reference about the age of the player to start with?

Had he said "how long can you keep a player on the list without them playing?" without the "especially if they are over 30" I think makes for a more appropriate question
To me it's definitely not a question about age, it's very much about if he is likely to recover so hopefully the club and player will make the right call.

The reason I mentioned age is - Do you give a player who is younger more time to recover than an older player.

GVGjr
14-03-2019, 10:37 PM
The reason I mentioned age is - Do you give a player who is younger more time to recover than an older player.

To me the age of the player is irrelevant given the extent of the injury.
Do we just back the club and player to make the right call?

MrMahatma
15-03-2019, 02:11 AM
To me the age of the player is irrelevant given the extent of the injury.
Do we just back the club and player to make the right call?

I don’t think you can hand on heart say age is ever irrelevant. We trade to fill age gaps, we blame age on results and we take pride in age at certain times. In the AFL, age is always a factor. Not saying it’s right, just that it is.

Ghost Dog
15-03-2019, 03:43 PM
He's going to be another Crossy, I am afraid. Pulling the pin is an expression not in his lexicon. Will not quit until he is show the door. The constant headaches thing is a real worry and the way he plays I can probably see it happening again, concussion I mean. But I do hope he can contribute for another season. Just I worry a bit about his health.

bornadog
01-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Tom Morris reporting Picken is retiring?

azabob
01-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Tom Browne reporting Picken is retiring?

Club just announced on Twitter

bornadog
01-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Club just announced on Twitter

Sad day, loved Picken but best for his health

bornadog
01-04-2019, 01:55 PM
Picken calls time on his career (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-01/picken-calls-time-on-his-career)

Western Bulldogs veteran Liam Picken has called an end to his AFL career.

One of the Club’s most popular and dedicated servants made the tough decision to walk away from the game due to ongoing concussion symptoms.

Picken has not played at AFL level since suffering a head injury in the 2018 JLT Community Series, despite valiant attempts to make a comeback over the last 12 months.

The 32-year-old told his team-mates today that he would retire from the game with 198 games to his name.

Picken’s career has been one of perseverance, dedication, absolute physical and mental application, courage, loyalty, professionalism and team spirit.

He comes from a strong football family – his dad Billy was a star at Collingwood, his brother Marcus spent time on the Bulldogs and Brisbane Lions playing lists, and his cousin Jonathon was a premiership player with the Lions.

After several pre-seasons training with the Magpies and then the Bulldogs, he finally got his chance as an AFL rookie at the end of 2008 after winning a VFL Best and Fairest with Williamstown.

He made his debut in 2009, and quickly established himself as one of the competition’s best taggers.

Later in his career he transformed into a successful midfielder/forward with strong goal sense, unrelenting competitiveness and impressive aerial ability.

He will be remembered most fondly by Bulldogs fans for his incredible on-field deeds in the 2016 finals series, where he kicked eight goals in four games, including three in the Grand Final win over Sydney.

“It’s never an easy thing to accept that one of the Club’s great servants will finish his career,” said Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge.

“For the duration of his career, Liam has embodied the core values we hold dear as a football club, and we will miss his presence greatly.

“We have always had a family-first mentality at the Bulldogs, and that should always be the overriding consideration when it comes to a player’s health and any impact that has on playing football.

“Liam can be immensely proud of his achievements. He is loved and admired within the Club, and universally respected by the whole football public, which is a true indication of the impression he has made on the game.”

Bulldogs Director of Football Chris Grant said the Club would continue to support Picken into his retirement.

“Liam has made a lasting impact on the Western Bulldogs and we will not forget his contribution,” he said.

“Over the last 12 months our focus has been to support Liam by providing him with the best medical care and ensuring his health is our number one priority.

“We will continue to provide off-field assistance for Liam to ensure he has the necessary support to return to full health, including his transition into the next chapter of his working career.”

Eastdog
01-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Thank You Liam! A great Bulldog! His 2016 final series I will never forget. That goal in the last quarter of the 2016 GF just brilliant. Good luck with whatever comes next.

Axe Man
01-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Thanks Liam. A shame he couldn't get back and reach 200 games but will be a Bulldogs legend forever.

I'm glad the club gave him every opportunity to return. We will have a chance to bring someone in via the mid-season draft now if the club deems it necessary.

Mofra
01-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Yep tough he couldn't get two more games.

Will always be remembered as winning the 'player of the finals series' in 2016.

Grantysghost
01-04-2019, 02:08 PM
Sad news however I'm glad he's put his health first and I hope all of his symptoms resolve over time. Always a legend.

craigsahibee
Thanks Liam
Let's all get to the Footy on Sunday to applaud a star of our Footy Club.

bulldogtragic
You gave us everything in pure happiness Liam. May the rest of your life give you everything in pure happiness back.

Testekill
01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
'm not crying, you're crying.

G-Mo77
01-04-2019, 02:15 PM
As a fan I'm shattered. He's been one of my all time favorite players for the club I'm also relieved for him and happy that he's chosen his health over football. Hopefully he can get well and enjoy the time after football.

Daughter of the West
Thank you Liam, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you gave the club. It was everything you had and then some.

I'm very sad it had to end this way for him, but he gave it every shot and I'm so relieved he's put his health first. I don't want to think about what might have happened if he had have taken another heavy head knock on field - especially given he would never have shirked a contest.

Topdog
well thats a big downer after such a great weekend. Glad he is looking after his health and hoping that he does make a full recovery

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Thank you Liam for everything you have given to the Bulldogs.
You deserve nothing but the best life post football.
All the best in your recovery, and I hope you are not lost to the club going forward. Your career and the way in which you comported yourself, at all times exemplifies the very best traits we should try and nurture in our club.

whythelongface
01-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Thanks Liam for being a true Bulldog Legend. You will always be a Premiership player. Thank you for being such an important cog during the September to remember.

Good luck in the future.

comrade
01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
An all-time Bulldogs legend.

The iconic image of Picko running into the goal as 'the dam wall is broken' will go down in folklore.

Enjoy retirement, you've earned it.

EasternWest
01-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Sad, but common sense.

A legend of our club forever. I hope he has a long and terrific retirement. Sucked every possible ounce of ability out of himself.

It's over. It's all over.

Mantis
01-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Thanks Liam.

Left it all on the field and played the game the Bulldog way, tough & uncompromising! His month of footy at the end of '16 was the thing of dreams and he was a huge reason why we were taken on a dream run.

I hope he enjoys the next phase of his life.

The Pie Man
01-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Was a tremendous player but seems like such a likeable character. We've all been preparing for it, but it's still a massive blow.

Another teary GF replay awaits.

Thanks Liam

Bulldog4life
01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Wise call Picko. Will never forget your heroics in the 2016 final series. A true gladiator for the doggies over many years.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Thank you Liam Picken. Your mark in the GF was a symbol of your mercurial efforts to rise above the mediocracy. You did yourself, your family and club proud with your career and you leave the game better for your participation.

hujsh
01-04-2019, 02:41 PM
well thats a big downer after such a great weekend. Glad he is looking after his health and hoping that he does make a full recovery
Personally I'm more relieved than sad. I'd hate to see something happen to him that impacted or worsened his long term health. It's the fate of all players to retire and when they've given the kind of service and dedication that Picken has given then all that's left is to wish them the best for their post AFL life.

Mofra
01-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Thank you Liam Picken. Your mark in the GF was a symbol of your mercurial efforts to rise above the mediocracy. You did yourself, your family and club proud with your career and you leave the game better for your participation.
There was an incident in the Sydney game (that year?) that summed him up.
Late in the 4th quarter he contested a ball deep in the backline. He ran the entire length of the ground and ended up being the player who contested the ball for the inside 50 kick.
One of the football shows highlighted just the amazing gut-busting effort it was to be able to run that hard late in the game and provide an option forward. It would have been missed otherwise. That summed him up for me, just willing to do the tough stuff without fanfare

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2019, 02:44 PM
An era ends and a new one begins with Bailey Smith, Schache and Naughton. The Bont, as is his want stradles both.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Late in the 4th quarter he contested a ball deep in the backline. He ran the entire length of the ground and ended up being the player who contested the ball for the inside 50 kick.
One of the football shows highlighted just the amazing gut-busting effort it was to be able to run that hard late in the game and provide an option forward. It would have been missed otherwise. That summed him up for me, just willing to do the tough stuff without fanfare

What a man. A larger than life will hidden behind a shaggy hairstyle and a self effacing manner.

Remi Moses
01-04-2019, 02:55 PM
What a wonderful career . Thankyou Liam, and all the best .
Never forget the 16 finals series and that goal .

angelopetraglia
01-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Without Picken I don't think we win in 2016. That's how much of an impact he had that September. He did things I didn't think he was capable of. Will never ever forget. I love him and I don't use that word lightly.

Sedat
01-04-2019, 03:11 PM
How good were his Bevo years, after being pigeonholed as a limited back pocket plumber by the previous idiot coach - he was a match winner with elite hands in a marking contest and a very strong natural footy IQ. He was a brilliant mid sized forward who was vastly underrated until that glorious September 4 week run. Also how good was it to see someone finally stop Brent Harvey having a day out against us when Picko started his career.

All the best Liam, hope your long term health has not been compromised and may you get to enjoy many premiership reunions.

Bulldog Revolution
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
I echo most of the thoughts offered here

A universally loved teammate, a feared and respected opponent - the truest of bulldogs

A legend!

S Coast Simon
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Well done Picken what a career. Will always be remembered as the man in September. Legend effort mate. All the best

Jeanette54
01-04-2019, 03:25 PM
I think that Liam was the inspiration behind the term "contested possession".

Thanks for the great memories and wishing you all the best for your health and future.

hujsh
01-04-2019, 03:31 PM
How good were his Bevo years, after being pigeonholed as a limited back pocket plumber by the previous idiot coach - he was a match winner with elite hands in a marking contest and a very strong natural footy IQ. He was a brilliant mid sized forward who was vastly underrated until that glorious September 4 week run. Also how good was it to see someone finally stop Brent Harvey having a day out against us when Picko started his career.

All the best Liam, hope your long term health has not been compromised and may you get to enjoy many premiership reunions.

His goals on Delideo when he had shut him out of the game were special too.

KT31
01-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Term Club Champion / Legend gets bandied around far to easily now days, is this case though IMO it is so deserved and true.
Picko in every essence you are a true champion / Legend of our club and the AFL, well done on a absolutely brilliant career - on and off the field.

StanleyD
01-04-2019, 03:57 PM
This is such sad news but I think the best decision for him. I wish him all the best for his ongoing recovery and can’t thank him enough for all his done for the club.

bornadog
01-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x9zpF5_UTA

westdog54
01-04-2019, 04:02 PM

https://youtu.be/eZECTCTIwbA

Most of the commentary teams caught it on the night.

Its a sad day.

My wife and I told our 7 year old son (who may or may not have been named after the man himself...) and he was devastated.

Then I explained what was wrong with him, and I reminded him about the photo of Liam and his family out on the G post premiership, and simply said "he needs to stay healthy so that he can be with his family, and that's much more important than playing football."

Mofra
01-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Its a sad day.

My wife and I told our 7 year old son (who may or may not have been named after the man himself...) and he was devastated.

Then I explained what was wrong with him, and I reminded him about the photo of Liam and his family out on the G post premiership, and simply said "he needs to stay healthy so that he can be with his family, and that's much more important than playing football."
Thank you!

Yes that's the one. Just gut-busting effort.

The Pie Man
01-04-2019, 04:24 PM
JJ on his insta all class calling Liam the real norm smith.

Smads57
01-04-2019, 04:26 PM
A sad day indeed - easily my favourite player over the last few years. He epitomised what is was to be Bulldog 'tough but fair'.

All the best Liam for the future.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
01-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Very sad ending to a great career. Loved the way he went about it no matter what his role was

westbulldog
01-04-2019, 05:30 PM
All the best for your future Liam, you have been a great clubman and a great player for the Dogs. Your efforts epitomised why we won the 2016 premiership.

bornadog
01-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Picko tells his team mates here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-04-01/picko-breaks-the-news-to-the-boys) and an interview with Bob straight after.

comrade
01-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Picko tells his team mates here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-04-01/picko-breaks-the-news-to-the-boys) and an interview with Bob straight after.

Who’s cutting onions around here?

EasternWest
01-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Its a sad day.

Lucky we had two Liam's at the time so you could fall back to Picko...

bulldogtragic
01-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Who’s cutting onions around here?

That's me. I was making a lasagne, for one.

I didn't know the fumes would travel through the Internet. My bad.

merantau
01-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Everyone at the Club, every member, every supporter, every football lover who got on board for the ride in the 2016 Finals Campaign, owes Liam a huge debt of gratitude. He lit up the Finals series with his pedal to the metal football.
Enjoy your retirement Liam. Your place in the pantheon of Bulldog Champions is locked in. You gave your all for us. We will never forget you. In years to come Bulldog supporters will tell their grandchildren: "Liam Picken? I saw him play!" Thank you so much.

josie
01-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Thank you Liam, thank you, thank you, thank you for all that you gave the club. It was everything you had and then some.

I'm very sad it had to end this way for him, but he gave it every shot and I'm so relieved he's put his health first. I don't want to think about what might have happened if he had have taken another heavy head knock on field - especially given he would never have shirked a contest.

Perfect words-exactly my sentiments. My fave dogs player ever retiring. Sad and happy simultaneously. Looking forward to highlights reel. I think Liam is our current day player, apart from Libba jnr, that epitomises the bulldog spirit.

AshMac
01-04-2019, 07:19 PM
Thanks for everything Picko. You embody the doggies in every way.

Good luck with everything that comes next whatever you choose.

Go_Dogs
01-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Mr September.

One of my favourite players and ends his career as one of our best 50 players (at least as far as my young memory goes) who made it count when it mattered most. Hope he enjoys retirement but that we can keep him involved in some capacity at the club if he’s so inclined.

Well done on a terrific career Picko, thanks for the memories.

Bumper Bulldogs
01-04-2019, 08:47 PM
One of the all time champions.

Best of luck in the future

Ghost Dog
01-04-2019, 08:53 PM
165,000 k's in the car. Yeah, Balmoral is quite a way.
I feel gutted quite frankly because we are killing it on the field now and things seem to be coming together.
But considering the average AFL player only gets 65 games and not a wiff of a final, can't ask for much more.
This is a guy who gave it all. Thanks Liam.

Murphy'sLore
01-04-2019, 09:12 PM
The definition of tough, the definition of brave, the definition of determination.

He was, and always will be, our spirit of '16.

Go well, Liam, the true believers will always hold you in our hearts.

bulldogtragic
01-04-2019, 10:09 PM
165,000 k's in the car. Yeah, Balmoral is quite a way.
I feel gutted quite frankly because we are killing it on the field now and things seem to be coming together.
But considering the average AFL player only gets 65 games and not a wiff of a final, can't ask for much more.
This is a guy who gave it all. Thanks Liam.

Once upon we sent champs of the club out on days like today without being add 'they're a premiership player'. Let alone MVP in a premiership campaign. It's a little easier (not much) to take knowing his high place in our history. I hope that if he ever gets a bad headache, instead of popping a couple of panadol the wife and kids place his premiership medal around his neck and remembering the joy he's given us all be the panacea to the pain.

bornadog
01-04-2019, 11:29 PM
The definition of tough, the definition of brave, the definition of determination.

He was, and always will be, our spirit of '16.

Go well, Liam, the true believers will always hold you in our hearts.

A caller on talk back radio said today, if the Westernbulldogs were a person, they would be be Liam.

kruder
01-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Picken from behind. Picken from behind. Immortal!

Doc26
01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Brought so much joy to so many. Liam epitomises what it is to be the boys of the Bulldog breed.

He may carry some disappointment in not being able to play on but his legacy is well and truly secure at the Bulldogs.

The Pie Man
02-04-2019, 12:46 AM
Picken from behind. Picken from behind. Immortal!

This is one moment from the GF I’ve revisited quite a bit for different reasons - associating bits of play with the coverage and trying to remember what I felt in that moment.

Why did Cometti repeat ‘Picken from behind?’ The littlest man in the threesome was pure Dennis, and it’s an extraordinary mark, but I didn’t react to it a great deal at the time....it was just so tense. In the back of my mind I was believing this was one of the classic grand finals and that was perhaps another one of its moments.

It lacked a late lead change like 18 or sealer like 12, but those last 3 minutes when we saw Bevo appear on the boundary were absolute bliss - I still remember vividly the ball hitting Picko’s palms in the goal square and feeling what felt an age wondering how the ball would bounce.

He said it well today - anything can happen.

Ghost Dog
02-04-2019, 01:08 AM
A caller on talk back radio said today, if the Westernbulldogs were a person, they would be be Liam.

Thanks for sharing that. Can't agree more. Sort of a weird 'highlight' in a way, but I recall when we were getting absolutely hammered under Bmac and Liam was the one guy who would just never say die. We would be 50 points down and he'd still be chasing and crashing around. We lost by 50 to North and he still tagged Brent Harvey like it was a final. He was about the only player who could rattle guys before Hall joined us. Anyone who saw Liam jogging over to play beside them knew they were in for a sh** day. As a keen Bulldogs fan one interest in lingering late in a drubbing is to see who remains defiant. Liam was always one of those.

!!!Oh the joy at that mark in the Eagles prelim, surrounded by three West Coast players and somehow protected the drop. That was one of my LP highlights because beating Eagles over there is so hard.

I think of Matty Robbins, not able to find his own address at age 30 something and Pickers with his headaches. It can be a brutal game on the brain.

Twodogs
02-04-2019, 11:18 AM
'm not crying, you're crying.

I've just got some dust in my eye.

merantau
02-04-2019, 01:45 PM
If you want to see the epitome of 'heart and soul and 'never give up look no further.

https://youtu.be/WDf144YrVdk

Big thanks to All's Highlights.

bornadog
02-04-2019, 02:36 PM
If you want to see the epitome of 'heart and soul and 'never give up look no further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDf144YrVdk&feature=youtu.be

That is just brilliant, thank you

EasternWest
02-04-2019, 04:45 PM
That is just brilliant, thank you

What a super player.

Scraggers
02-04-2019, 05:56 PM

https://youtu.be/WDf144YrVdk

Thanks so much for posting ... there was definitely onions being cut as I watched the clip. It brought back such great memories of taking my son to the game in Perth and watching Picken dominate; or knowing my team was just about to win a Grand Final as Picken kicks the ball into the third tier of the Great Southern Stand. My lasting memory of Picko will be that mark in the GF ... Picken from behind, Picken from behind.

Thank you Liam (Mr. September ... and that one day in October) MVP of the 2016 Finals Campaign.

bornadog
02-04-2019, 06:16 PM
How a real estate agent kick-started Liam Picken’s AFL career (https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/stevos-sting-how-a-real-estate-agent-kick-started-liam-pickens-afl-career-c-37577)

If a real estate agent hadn’t run into a shrewd coach in a schoolyard, Liam Picken’s celebrated career may not have happened.
In the week Picken sadly retired with concussion, his path to the Bulldogs is worth recalling.

The real estate agent in question, well-known inner-west property guru Craig Stephens, is happy to tell the yarn.

“As a Bulldogs fan, I spotted the then-coach Rodney Eade in the school ground. Our daughters were at the same school, and being a real estate agent, I slipped him a business card,” Stephens recalled.

“I simply said: ‘Rocket, If you need a hand with anything, I’m here to help.”
A few days later, Eade called.

It was 2009, the Dogs were tight for cash, and had never had the ability to exploit the rookie draft. “Rocket” Eade did have a job for Stephens.

“Rocket said we’d never had a rookie, and now we had the opportunity. He’d spoken to the footy manager James Fantasia and they asked if I could help raise $80,000 to fund the drafting of two rookies,” Stephens said.

Stephens had less than two weeks to get it done.

The Dogs had just finished their new facility. There was some real novelty factor about it, so Stephen organised sportsman’s night to lure a few diehards along.

Pies and beer, Simon Beasley and John Schultz … and about 200 diehards turned up.
Being an auctioneer, Stephens went to work.

After raiding the property steward’s room, grabbing an old pair of Chris Grant’s boots and getting them signed, Stephens auctioned them off.

Even Grant’s jockstrap was up for auction, along with a share in a racehorse that never managed to race after suffering a heart complaint.

The night managed to raise $62,000. The Dogs were in business.

In those days a rookie cost $40,000. The first was paid for. The second would be split 50/50 between the Dogs and VFL club Williamstown, who were keen to promote and foster a pathway into the AFL for their youngsters.

With the first pick, the Dogs took Jamason Daniels. He was handy, but didn’t play a single game of AFL.
Right now, Daniels is coaching Tatura in the Goulburn Valley League in country Victoria.

With the second pick, $20,000 each supplied by the Dogs and Willy, a young bloke named Liam Picken was drafted.

Jamason Daniels didn't play a single AFL game.
Daniels was the main prize, Picken effectively the bonus set of steak knives.

If the daughters of Stephens and Eade didn’t attend the same private school, that may never have happened.

bornadog
02-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Another very good story on Picken and what he gave up to become an AFL footballer.

click heading Picken up the pace (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/picken-up-the-pace-20090613-ge7xhx.html)

It's from 2009, but sets the scene for his career

comrade
02-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Chris Grant’s jock strap helped us win a flag.

Topdog
03-04-2019, 11:59 AM
The twitter thread from his wife was great reading as well.

chef
03-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Is he doing a lap before the game this week?

bornadog
03-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Good point, will ask the question.

merantau
03-04-2019, 10:13 PM
There is one piece of play that Liam was involved in that typified how special a player he was and I think those who saw it will never forget it.
It was at Etihad early in 2017 in the GF replay against the Swans. It was late in the last quarter. Liam got the ball out wide in our defensive 50. He took off and kicked an outrageous sideways kick into space on the opposite side of the ground which I think Lachie Hunter ran on to. The ball was booted forward to a contest where a Swan' s player dropped a mark. We got the ball and it was booted to half forward and Liam Bob's up to outmark his Swans opponent. He quickly booted to ball to Bont who was one out at the top of the square. Bont beat his opponent pointless, strode in and booted the ball into Southern Cross Station. Game over.
How the hell Liam got up the ground so quick I'll never know. What a great player.

bornadog
03-04-2019, 11:56 PM
There is one piece of play that Liam was involved in that typified how special a player he was and I think those who saw it will never forget it.
It was at Etihad early in 2017 in the GF replay against the Swans. It was late in the last quarter. Liam got the ball out wide in our defensive 50. He took off and kicked an outrageous sideways kick into space on the opposite side of the ground which I think Lachie Hunter ran on to. The ball was booted forward to a contest where a Swan' s player dropped a mark. We got the ball and it was booted to half forward and Liam Bob's up to outmark his Swans opponent. He quickly booted to ball to Bont who was one out at the top of the square. Bont beat his opponent pointless, strode in and booted the ball into Southern Cross Station. Game over.
How the hell Liam got up the ground so quick I'll never know. What a great player.

Check out post #67 with vision.

bornadog
05-04-2019, 11:19 AM

Will be honored on Sunday with a tribute.

KT31
05-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Will be honored on Sunday with a tribute.

More like, we will be honered to pay tribute to Picko.:D

bornadog
05-04-2019, 04:11 PM
LIAM PICKEN TRIBUTE

Bulldogs’ premiership star Liam Picken will be farewelled at Marvel Stadium this Sunday with a lap of honour before the match.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats by 1.45pm for the lap, which starts at 1.50pm.

Dogs fans can also get their hands on a free Liam Picken poster before the match from the Club Hub, located outside Gate 5 (stock is limited).

chef
05-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Yay. I'll be there.

Eastdog
05-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Yay. I'll be there.

Me too will get in a bit earlier to see Picko off.

Bulldog4life
07-04-2019, 08:43 AM
Wouldn't miss Picko's lap of honour for quids....or dollars.

GVGjr
07-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Wouldn't miss Picko's lap of honour for quids....or dollars.

I'll be at my seat by 1.45pm to honor Picken

josie
07-04-2019, 09:36 AM
Yep-I will be there too.

Testekill
07-04-2019, 10:33 AM
I live in Brisbane so I can't be there so cheer him extra loud for me

The Doctor
07-04-2019, 11:32 AM
What a legend!

I really hope the club can find a role for him to keep him involved.

Eastdog
07-04-2019, 10:43 PM
Glad I got in early to see Picko off. Such a champion and so happy that we did that for him. Well deserved. Would be great to have Picko still involved at the club in some capacity.

ledge
11-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Glad I got in early to see Picko off. Such a champion and so happy that we did that for him. Well deserved. Would be great to have Picko still involved at the club in some capacity.

From who I talked to at the club he isn’t the sort of guy to hang around, I get the impression he probably won’t have much to do with footy at all.