PDA

View Full Version : Midfield focus for Williams

bornadog
22-02-2019, 02:49 PM
Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-02-21/midfield-focus-for-williams)

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Bailey+Williams+AFL+Rd+7+Western+Bulldogs+fdqdES_6J9hl.jpg

Building his best pre-season to date, emerging Bulldog Bailey Williams is determined to make 2019 his year.

The 21-year-old established himself at AFL level last year, settling into the Dogs’ defensive unit and playing a career-high 14 matches despite a late-season foot injury.

He’s confident he can build his output this season after a strong training block.

“I came back probably in the best nick I have,” Williams told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“This is probably the best pre-season I’ve had so far (in my career).

“Last year I had a foot injury in the last seven weeks, which was a bit frustrating, but before that I’d really cemented my spot as a defender. Then over my last three games I moved into the midfield, and I’ve tried to work on that in pre-season.”

After getting a taste of playing in the midfield last season, Williams has transitioned to that role during the pre-season and is confident he can play a key role for the Dogs in 2019.

He credits assistant coach Joel Corey, and teammates Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley and Tom Liberatore as those who have helped him develop.

“This whole pre-season I’ve spent 100 per cent of my time in the midfield, learning off blokes like ‘Wall’, ‘Bont’, ‘Dunks’ and ‘Libba’,” Williams said.

“They’ve all been pretty good, and Joel Corey’s been helping me out with trying to learn the structures and the rotations at the centre bounce and all that stuff.

“It’s just about finding the next level, and hopefully I can take my game there.

“I just want to keep growing, keep developing my midfield knowledge and taking that to the next level. I feel like I can really have an impact this year and start to dominate a few games, which would be good.”

Working on his fitness has been a big focus, and with the season just around the corner, match practice has taken centre stage in the Dogs’ training schedule.

Williams believe the group is well-placed to hit the ground running in 2019.

“Mooloolaba was a good stint of match-play, and as soon as the matches start rolling around you can see the competitive juices start to come out,” he said.

“It’s exciting, especially with a healthy group and numbers out on the track.

“There’s not many injuries, so everyone’s fighting for spots and it’s pretty challenging at the moment.”

bulldogtragic
22-02-2019, 02:59 PM
I like this thread.

GVGjr
22-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Looking forward to having another bull to rotate through the middle with Bont, Dunkely and Macrae and to go along with Liberatore, Wallis and McLean.
He's possibly the most versatile player we have on the list.

I really think he is primed for a big season.

Rocket Science
22-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Jeez, if everyone stays fit we're going to be nigh on insurmountable through the guts.

Look out if we can figure out how to pop the thing through the big sticks.

hujsh
22-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Another option with speed and a penetrating/damaging kick would be fantastic. Yes please

azabob
22-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Can we sign him up already?!?

GVGjr
22-02-2019, 09:29 PM
Can we sign him up already?!?

Good point, it's shaping as an important signature

ratsmac
23-02-2019, 08:23 AM
I've been on this kid for a while now. Watching him in the magoos a couple years ago in a final you see he was too good for that level. Fitness is key for him so it's great to hear that he's the fittest he has ever been. He's strong around the hips and legs which will help him if he's playing more mid this year. I would like to see him rest forward at times because he has a bit a knack of finding the big sticks at times.

It's going to be an interesting year for us this year with the natural development and improvement of a few kids we have been nurturing for a few years.

GVGjr
23-02-2019, 08:35 AM
I've been on this kid for a while now. Watching him in the magoos a couple years ago in a final you see he was too good for that level. Fitness is key for him so it's great to hear that he's the fittest he has ever been. He's strong around the hips and legs which will help him if he's playing more mid this year. I would like to see him rest forward at times because he has a bit a knack of finding the big sticks at times.

It's going to be an interesting year for us this year with the natural development and improvement of a few kids we have been nurturing for a few years.

Every now and again a player takes a significant step forward and typically this happens when they also make a breakthrough with their fitness levels so it's very encouraging to hear Williams has had his best preseason.
It's going to be interesting to see if we can find him enough time in the middle or if, as you pointed out, he spends some time forward.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that he is possibly the most versatile player on our list and I can see him being used as the Mr Fix-it.

Torpedo
23-02-2019, 04:51 PM
This young man is on the cusp of breaking out into the player I've always thought he could be. Seems to have composure and awareness now, which he lacked early on like most inexperienced kids. I think he will be a very good addition to the midfield group. Lovely kick, nice sidestep, can break tackles and can create a goal out of not much. By the way, saw Fergus Greene on local central Vic tv last night. He is a very impressive, well spoken, personable young man. Said he was now 75kg and having put on 10 kgs since the draft and is looking forward to the season. Both 21 year olds and 187cm but Bailey W weighs in at 85kg.

GVGjr
23-02-2019, 05:59 PM
This young man is on the cusp of breaking out into the player I've always thought he could be. Seems to have composure and awareness now, which he lacked early on like most inexperienced kids. I think he will be a very good addition to the midfield group. Lovely kick, nice sidestep, can break tackles and can create a goal out of not much. By the way, saw Fergus Greene on local central Vic tv last night. He is a very impressive, well spoken, personable young man. Said he was now 75kg and having put on 10 kgs since the draft and is looking forward to the season. Both 21 year olds and 187cm but Bailey W weighs in at 85kg.

I suspect that Williams wouldn't want to get a lot bigger whereas Greene could easily handle another 3kg.
Williams was sensational as a defender so I hope the transition into the midfield is a smooth one for him and the club.

Bulldog Revolution
23-02-2019, 11:05 PM
I suspect that Williams wouldn't want to get a lot bigger whereas Greene could easily handle another 3kg.
Williams was sensational as a defender so I hope the transition into the midfield is a smooth one for him and the club.

Yeah until injured last year he was putting together a terrific campaign

With him, Dunkley, Lipinski (who quietly put together a very solid 2nd year) and Richards we have some seriously talented young midfielders - and thats before mentioning McLean who might well become a star of the competition in 2019

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-02-2019, 04:23 PM
Every now and again a player takes a significant step forward and typically this happens when they also make a breakthrough with their fitness levels so it's very encouraging to hear Williams has had his best preseason.
It's going to be interesting to see if we can find him enough time in the middle or if, as you pointed out, he spends some time forward.
I mentioned earlier in the thread that he is possibly the most versatile player on our list and I can see him being used as the Mr Fix-it.
As one of the games finest Coaches, Allan Jeans used to say, the game is won in the midfield. Williams displays all the qualities to not only complement a strong midfield, but to become a star in his own right. His penetrating kicks should provide more opportunities for our forward line. Our good defence makes it possible for us to move Williams further afield to add class to the likes of the Bont Liberatore and Dunkley together with a centreline that boasts Macrae Maclean and Hunter.

AshMac
01-03-2019, 10:19 AM
Love reading these comments.

I’m into Williams in a big way and agree his signature is one of the most important for us this year. I’m convinced the crows will go very hard for him. A mates mate (yep - reliable source) dated Williams mum and said they were super close - I actually remember reading a year or two ago that the club had supported him by flying his mum over from Adelaide regularly - so a big offer coupled with the lure of “going home” could be enticing.

Would be great to see him experimented with in the fwd line or even as a wing. His agility and strength through the hips, coupled with his booming kick could be a lovely link through the ground. I love his aggression too.

For me, last year was his breakout at AFL level. If he hadn’t been injured we’d be seeing much more hype about him. Another step up this year would be great.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2019, 09:43 PM
What do we make of Bailey Williams chances of staying on?

He's been uncontracted all year, no doubt his manager got the odd call about him. Throughout the year some media linked interest from Adelaide & St Kilda. He's only uncontracted along with Dickson, Roberts & Webb (the latter two surely gone). It's been nearly two weeks since his last game (a VFL game) and after his end of season review. Still he remains uncontracted. With the year he's had I can't imagine it's about years and money. With under three weeks the trade period, I don't get a sense Sam Power has him in his plans going ahead.

GVGjr
19-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Hard to say why he fell out of favor with the match committee but I agree it's sounding more likely he won't be at the club next year.

He's got enough ability so if his attitude is good he should find another home

Happy Days
19-09-2019, 10:23 PM
I hope he stays. He's in a pretty similar position to Dale was at the end of 2018 and he proved himself to be worth persisting with (I think).

He's clearly got some ability and we've stuck with far worse before. It's a bit of a shame that having some guys signed up who we'd probably prefer to move on is limiting our flexibility.

jeemak
19-09-2019, 11:02 PM
What do we make of Bailey Williams chances of staying on?

He's been uncontracted all year, no doubt his manager got the odd call about him. Throughout the year some media linked interest from Adelaide & St Kilda. He's only uncontracted along with Dickson, Roberts & Webb (the latter two surely gone). It's been nearly two weeks since his last game (a VFL game) and after his end of season review. Still he remains uncontracted. With the year he's had I can't imagine it's about years and money. With under three weeks the trade period, I don't get a sense Sam Power has him in his plans going ahead.

Sam's probably got some short term plans for him, in the very least! Perhaps the issue isn't with the list management folks, rather, the coaching personnel and possibly team mates?

Mofra
20-09-2019, 11:18 AM
His best football has been behind the ball where we have a logjam of players.

Suckling signing on and the development of Lachie Young puts question marks on his head, surely.

1eyedog
20-09-2019, 11:37 AM
I like him on a wing. I think it's worth trying, perhaps in the role we were slating for Martin? Williams is good overhead, is ok one on one and is quick enough so may enjoy the space and extra pressure relief of being a pure defender. We've seen burst passages of play from him and he can score from 50. It may be worth considering.

Mofra
20-09-2019, 11:46 AM
I like him on a wing. I think it's worth trying, perhaps in the role we were slating for Martin? Williams is good overhead, is ok one on one and is quick enough so may enjoy the space and extra pressure relief of being a pure defender. We've seen burst passages of play from him and he can score from 50. It may be worth considering.
He has been tried there, rotating with a HF role.
He certainly has talent, ideally we'd keep him but I could understand if he moves for more opportunity.

hujsh
20-09-2019, 11:46 AM
I like this idea but whatever the MC decide they want to do with him I hope they let him stick with it (whether at AFL or VFL level) so he can develop the skills required and build confidence in the role. Like Lipinski.

Rocket Science
20-09-2019, 12:00 PM
With hindsight, you wonder why his pre-season was "100 percent" focused on learning to play as a mid when we have bona fide midfielders we can't always squeeze into their natural positions.

There wouldn't be many harder midfields to crack.

SquirrelGrip
20-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Two more years for Bailey Williams!

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-09-20/two-more-years-for-bailey-williams

westdog54
20-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Hard to say why he fell out of favor with the match committee but I agree it's sounding more likely he won't be at the club next year.

He's got enough ability so if his attitude is good he should find another home

Between the lot of us, we've got no *!*!*!*!ing clue, have we? 😁😆

Rocket Science
20-09-2019, 04:11 PM
Well fancy that.

That's one less list spot for Power to play with.

KT31
20-09-2019, 04:14 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-09-20/two-more-years-for-bailey-williams

Good news, not sure Dickson will think so though.

bulldogtragic
20-09-2019, 04:15 PM
I'm happy to take credit for this.

Now one or two of Dickson, Lynch & Jong have to go.

GVGjr
20-09-2019, 05:59 PM

I'm very happy to hear that. He hasn't played his best football yet and now he gets that chance

Doc26
20-09-2019, 06:45 PM
I'm very happy to hear that. He hasn't played his best football yet and now he gets that chance

Very pleased to hear that we’ve retained Bailey’s services. Hopefully he can lock down a position in 2020 like Patty Lipinski achieved this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2019, 07:58 PM
I'm happy to take credit for this.

Now one or two of Dickson, Lynch & Jong have to go.

I would argue all 3 should go.

bornadog
20-09-2019, 10:10 PM
Very pleased to hear that we’ve retained Bailey’s services. Hopefully he can lock down a position in 2020 like Patty Lipinski achieved this season.

May need to reinvent himself like Lippa

GVGjr
21-09-2019, 08:12 AM

If he improves just a bit he could be a very good versatile player for us. We've typically used him as a defender but given the depth we have there he's got some work to do. JJ, Suckling, Crozier, Duryea and Wood all stand in front of him for a spot in the back 6 and Vandermeer is also likely to contend in 2020.

comrade
21-09-2019, 08:15 AM
After our half backs (particularly Duryea) kind of **** the bed in the final, there’s a spot there for Williams if he can take it.

DOG GOD
21-09-2019, 01:50 PM
After our half backs (particularly Duryea) kind of **** the bed in the final, there’s a spot there for Williams if he can take it.

Williams will certainly be ahead of Duryea for mine. His form in 2018 showed he is extremely comfortable in a role off half back, and if it means playing duryea in the 2’s and Richards on a wing, so be it. The backline is his baby for the taking. Go get it.