PDA

View Full Version : Chris Grant vs Chris Grant

bulldogtragic
24-02-2019, 02:56 PM
In recent threads it's highlighted that Turtle is third on our all time goal kickers, but also considered by many to be one of the best defenders in their footy experience. An argument that he's been the best swing man of the past many decades for sure.

Both at top flight form, in a hypothetical direct contest on each other, would Chris Grant the CHB beat Chris Grant the CHF or vice versa? And why?

HOSE B ROMERO
24-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Wow, what a match up bt. I would say chf grant would win. His agility, stamina and the way he could either throw himself into packs or dive for marks was outstanding. I think that supporters that only saw the second half of his career may not realize how outstanding his forward work was.

Twodogs
24-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Instead of answering your question, I want to throw another name into the mix. Peter Foster. Foster came over from Fitzroy in 1983 as the steak knives in a deal for a guy called Chris Hansen and in my opinion is the best player we have recruited from another A/VFL club.

He had an ordinary first year in 1983 only playing a couple of games. Then Malthouse took over as coach in 1984 and swung him to CHB where he immediately started to dominate, played a few seasons in defence eventually became a swing man who could dominate games in defence and attack. If Paul Dear hadn't kicked him and broken his leg in 1992 we would have gone close to winning the flag.

But to answer your question Grant dominated at CHF which is(or was, noone really plays at CHF these days) the hardest position on the field-as a teenager so the young Grant beats the older Grant. Just as long as Glen Coleman was lurking nearby to give the older Grant the occasional whack across the chops of he got on top...

boydogs
24-02-2019, 09:47 PM
Wasn't the greatest kick for goal so I'll say CHB

Mofra
25-02-2019, 09:54 AM
In the old era, CHB Granty (chopping the arms rule).

In the modern era, CHF Grant. He mentioned in an interview in his third or fourth season he felt like he was a better player because he was now strong enough to withstand his arms being chopped at times.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2019, 10:49 AM
Chris Grant was such a great CHB and CHF and played each role differently although his elite ability to read the flight of the ball and to mark or spoil worked both ends. He was an elite goal kicker but had a year of yips. I reckon the younger Grant as a forward would snag an average of 3 goals against himself and be a focal point and general yet Grant his opponent would
interceptand spoil and general in the backline.

strebla
27-02-2019, 12:21 PM
Love this I am going to say CHB as he was so damaging with the ball in hand, particularly after the Hawk retired and Leon left for the Tigers. along with Lindsay Gilbee he was our best kick into the forward line.