PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 2, Vs Hawthorn

Scraggers
26-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 1 match against Sydney for our Round 2, 2019 match against Hawthorn at the 'G'?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Not really sensing a need for a change. That said I would like Trengove in to swing Naughton & English around across lines for extra flexibility. For example, leaving Naughton forward in that last quarter and dropping Trengove back. Just gives us that extra option. It'd have to be a forward, so maybe Dickson or Gowers. But after that win, I don't see a change coming.

Mantis
24-03-2019, 12:14 AM
I’m not sure how Bailey Smith stays in, he was a spectator in that game.. let’s give him 4-6 weeks with the VFL team and re-assess then.

Lipinski comes in.

Bulldog Revolution
24-03-2019, 12:15 AM
In: Lipinski
Out: Smith

Bulldog4life
24-03-2019, 12:17 AM
No change for me. Bevo won't drop a first gamer after one game.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 12:18 AM
I’m not sure how Bailey Smith stays in, he was a spectator in that game.. let’s give him 4-6 weeks with the VFL team and re-assess then.

Lipinski comes in.

Agreed - he found the pace of the game a bit fast at this stage.

FrediKanoute
24-03-2019, 12:28 AM
I think that there were a lot of good signs, but we do need to make a change or two. I think Smith could do with a run in the reserves to find the footy and do what he can do. He looked a little shellshocked - the pace of the game was too fast for him. That will come in time.

Who you bring in is the key. I think that bringing in Trengove robs the midfield of rotations, which reduces our ability to pressure the opposition.

GVGjr
24-03-2019, 01:04 AM

Lipinski comes in.

While I don't think we will make that change we probably should

FrediKanoute
24-03-2019, 01:08 AM

That would be my change as well

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 01:13 AM
While I don't think we will make that change we probably should

Oh.... every fibre of my being says Smith should make way...and he probably will..
BUT, given I also think Smith will be a 10 plus year player for us, I really think it could be insightful to see how he responds next week.
If he is not the difference between us winning or losing next week, then we should keep him in.

Mitcha
24-03-2019, 10:39 AM
My mail is that JJ is right to go next week so that probably means Bailey Smith misses out. Tough on the kid as Bevo normally likes to give more than one opportunity to the young ones. Gowers the only other possibility, terribly overrated in my opinion.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 10:43 AM
My mail is that JJ is right to go next week so that probably means Bailey Smith misses out. Tough on the kid as Bevo normally likes to give more than one opportunity to the young ones. Gowers the only other possibility, terribly overrated in my opinion.

Does JJ come straight in or does he need some VFL?

Mitcha
24-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Straight in, will make the team better, has done plenty of work during the weeks out.

GVGjr
24-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Straight in, will make the team better, has done plenty of work during the weeks out.

Having JJ back would be great for the team although it means another small defender. Do you think we would need to push someone forward?

comrade
24-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Having JJ back would be great for the team although it means another small defender. Do you think we would need to push someone forward?

JJ to replace Williams in defence, Williams to replace Smith in the midfield.

Webby
24-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Does JJ come straight in or does he need some VFL?

Straight in. For Suckling.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 11:43 AM
If JJ is ready to go, a swap for Smith makes sense.

I’m keen to squeeze Lipinski in too, but not quite sure how to do that this week.

Happy Days
24-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Agree with the sentiment in here - hate to drop guys after one game but Smith isn't ready.

If JJ is ready then by all means but otherwise bring Lipinski in.

Bullies
24-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Agree with the sentiment in here - hate to drop guys after one game but Smith isn't ready.

If JJ is ready then by all means but otherwise bring Lipinski in. Was surprised Smith played having had a pre season interrupted with injuries and caution taken in the JLT games where he didn't do a great deal.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Out: Thor
In: Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2019, 07:36 PM
My whisper has been Suckers will miss a few so JJ will come in.

Bevo will not make any further changers

josie
24-03-2019, 07:50 PM
I thought Smith looked ok in 2nd half with a few spoils and tackles and if possible would like to see him play another game especially on bigger mcg. Suckling if injured out and JJ in. Williams possibly out and Lipinski In. Or Williams to midfield - he needs a confidence booster after an average game so perhaps midfield time may help.

Do we think Trengove should play or not and who misses out? From Bevo’s presser I think he will stick with English, with Schache to continue to provide a bit of ruck respite.

Remi Moses
24-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Gotta say the club should be peeved off about the suckling incident
Totally unacceptable in a pro sport for this to happen

angelopetraglia
24-03-2019, 09:03 PM
The MCG is a bigger ground as we know. Lippa covers the ground so well and his two way running will be valuable. I can see us finding a way to include him.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Gotta say the club should be peeved off about the suckling incident
Totally unacceptable in a pro sport for this to happen

Totally agree and from accounts another happened today. Surely in these days they know how long it takes to recove/grow and it should never happen.

Marvel stadium could now be call Back to the Future

lemmon
24-03-2019, 11:10 PM
If there's nothing forced, I'd make no change.

Just caught up with the replay and Smith did some really nice things in that third quarter and seemed to spend a bit of time tagging Jones and Heeney. Think he showed enough to not be dumped straight out - would benefit from more time around the contest though.

If a change is forced, I'd be looking at Roberts or Young in. I think we still looked too small down back and having another 6'5er in Naughton back there really steadied us in the last.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 11:16 PM
My whisper has been Suckers will miss a few so JJ will come in.

Bevo will not make any further changers

Injured?

Mofra
24-03-2019, 11:30 PM
Injured?
afl.com listed him as an injury (ankle) after the game.

Hotdog60
25-03-2019, 12:09 AM
It was just a slight jar. But we'll take a conservative approach with his rehab and should be available for full training in 4-8 weeks. ;)

boydogs
25-03-2019, 02:00 AM
I thought Bailey Smith was alright, was expecting him to run out of puff much sooner

We definitely had a few passengers though and players making poor errors - Lipinski and JJ could come in for any of Duryea, Suckling, Crozier, Williams, Smith, Gowers, Dickson or Richards

azabob
25-03-2019, 08:14 AM
If there's nothing forced, I'd make no change.

Just caught up with the replay and Smith did some really nice things in that third quarter and seemed to spend a bit of time tagging Jones and Heeney. Think he showed enough to not be dumped straight out - would benefit from more time around the contest though.

If a change is forced, I'd be looking at Roberts or Young in. I think we still looked too small down back and having another 6'5er in Naughton back there really steadied us in the last.

Hawks forward line isn’t land of the giants so we should be able to get through with our current defensive set up. I am concerned with going in with English against McEvoy and Ceglar especially on the bigger ground.

S Coast Simon
25-03-2019, 10:49 AM
We can definitely play Trengove as well next week. He can be assigned to One of McEvoy or Ceglar and just go where they go. Looks like Suckling will miss a couple of weeks.

Mofra
25-03-2019, 11:44 AM
We can definitely play Trengove as well next week. He can be assigned to One of McEvoy or Ceglar and just go where they go. Looks like Suckling will miss a couple of weeks.
Bevo all but said Trengove is a ruck only and we'll be sticking with one ruck for next week.
It will be English again with Schache chop outs.

If JJ is right to go he's straight in for me, the whole point of throwing Smith in was to give us some pace. He was ok in the last quarter but looked lost leading up to that. Sucklings ankle will be assessed - we'll have either one or two changes at a guess with Lippi the next cab off the rank after JJ.

Round three will be interesting as we might be tempted to bring another tall in after round two.

bornadog
28-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Based on Bevo's press conference this morning there will be no changes unless Suckling doesn't get through the test on his ankle.

* LB: Matt (Suckling) has got to get through training today as we’re are playing on Sunday. We’re optimised he will be fine.

* LB: The boys that played for Footscray played pretty well, but I imagine we will go in unchanged - there may be in adjustment (if Matt Suckling is unavailable).

* LB: Today’s our main session & we’ll progress through some structural things. We got a look at what they did against Adelaide, they were outstanding in they way they defended.

* LB: I think it was valuable the experience for Bailey Smith. He was working hard, to his credit he persevered and got into the game in the third quarter. He will definitely play & will be better for the run.

* LB: It’ll good for him to get it out of the way early (Taylor Duryea playing vs old side), he was very good for us last week Doc. He’s got some strong friendships at the Hawks, was best clubman there last year.

* LB: We can (play Easton as a key defender) we haven’t played him as a key defender often. We’re more for defence that works together, we support each other & there’s a big reliance on pressure

westdog54
28-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Greene, Young, Trengove and Lipinski added to an already potent extended bench.

Any of the four who miss out will be stiff.

hujsh
28-03-2019, 08:41 PM
Is there a reason the extended bench is now an additional 4?

Rocco Jones
28-03-2019, 10:25 PM
Is there a reason the extended bench is now an additional 4?

Emergencies are now four.

bornadog
28-03-2019, 11:44 PM
Greene, Young, Trengove and Lipinski added to an already potent extended bench.

Any of the four who miss out will be stiff.

Will all be emergencies unless Suckling doesn't come up or another injury

westdog54
29-03-2019, 12:46 AM
Will all be emergencies unless Suckling doesn't come up or another injury

Is it concerning that Trengove doesn't command a spot when fit?

Ghost Dog
29-03-2019, 02:02 AM
We have a lot of young talent we have to develop. We got Trengrove cheapish from memory so I don't mind him being a fill-in and a leader on the track. I am expecting Hawthorn to take a leaf out of Port's book and work Bont over. I hope we can be less insipid than Melbourne if this happens.

westdog54
29-03-2019, 02:13 AM
We have a lot of young talent we have to develop. We got Trengrove cheapish from memory so I don't mind him being a fill-in and a leader on the track. I am expecting Hawthorn to take a leaf out of Port's book and work Bont over. I hope we can be less insipid than Melbourne if this happens.

The problem for Hawthorn being that Bont THRIVES on that. Remember when North, led by Firrito, tried to rough him up after his comments about Lindsay Thomas. Bont made them look stupid and was close to BOG. And he was two years younger than he is now.

Axe Man
29-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Apparently if we go in unchanged this week it will be the first time since a little game we played in October 2016.

bulldogtragic
29-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Apparently if we go in unchanged this week it will be the first time since a little game we played in October 2016.

Ah, Macau Lightning vs Japan Goannas in Vietnam. Good times.

bornadog
29-03-2019, 06:03 PM

Final teams,

no change.

Hawks in Scully out Mirra