PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 3, Vs Gold Coast Suns

Scraggers
26-02-2019, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 2 match against Hawthorn for our Round 3, 2019 match against Gold Coast Suns at Marvel Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
31-03-2019, 06:22 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
31-03-2019, 06:53 PM
In Williams
Out Smith

mjp
31-03-2019, 07:03 PM
In Williams
Out Smith

I hope we stick with Young.

Still think he has more than a bit to offer - but needs games.

GVGjr
31-03-2019, 07:07 PM
I hope we stick with Young.

Still think he has more than a bit to offer - but needs games.

I agree, we need to give him a decent run at it and there are some probably some decent match-ups for him next week

EasternWest
31-03-2019, 07:08 PM
Bailey Smith has to come out. He's had a taste - and I think there's plenty to work with- but he's still off it.

Lipinski in.

The Doctor
31-03-2019, 07:16 PM
I would keep Smith in. Was much better today and will be more confident for the performance.

I'd consider dropping Suckling for Williams

EasternWest
31-03-2019, 07:19 PM
I would keep Smith in. Was much better today and will be more confident for the performance.

I'd consider dropping Suckling for Williams

I'm always down with dropping Suckling.

Vred
31-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Bailey Smith has to come out. He's had a taste - and I think there's plenty to work with- but he's still off it.

Lipinski in.

agreed with this, I think Smith needs some VFL time before he comes back in.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2019, 07:53 PM
No change for me. Leave Lewis in. Bailey improved deserves another game.

lemmon
31-03-2019, 08:11 PM
No change for me. Leave Lewis in. Bailey improved deserves another game.

Agree. I'm happy to stick with the same side.

I get the calls to leave Smith out, but we started to see some really good ball use from him going forward. Just needs to get his hands on the footy a bit more.

I'd consider Williams for Duryea.

Go_Dogs
31-03-2019, 08:12 PM
No change for me.

Would like to see Williams, Lippa in but can't drop anyone after today.

Any idea how far JJ is?

Bulldog Joe
31-03-2019, 08:18 PM
My first thought is Richards needs some time in the VFL.

Lipinski seems to be due a call up.

lemmon
31-03-2019, 08:20 PM
My first thought is Richards needs some time in the VFL.

Lipinski seems to be due a call up.

That's a fair call. I think he's playing small-pressure forward out of necessity and it hasn't really worked. Is Cavarra far off?

Bumper Bulldogs
31-03-2019, 08:37 PM
No way will Bevo make any changes this week. We will go on I changed with Smith going out the week after. Easy kill coming up and confidence building fir smith. They just need to set him up with a role and he’ll be ok.

3 love I say.

GVGjr
31-03-2019, 09:24 PM
That's a fair call. I think he's playing small-pressure forward out of necessity and it hasn't really worked. Is Cavarra far off?

I think Cavarra would be a fair bit off the mark at the moment. Needs some continuity with his football

1eyedog
31-03-2019, 09:27 PM
I'm always down with dropping Suckling.

I thought Suckling was very good today. Found the ball and defended very well.

bornadog
31-03-2019, 09:29 PM

I thought so too.

hujsh
31-03-2019, 09:56 PM
No way will Bevo make any changes this week. We will go on I changed with Smith going out the week after. Easy kill coming up and confidence building fir smith. They just need to set him up with a role and he’ll be ok.

3 love I say.

I don't think Gold Coast have shown themselves to be easy kills so far. Disrespect them and I believe they'll keep you honest

EasternWest
31-03-2019, 09:57 PM

That's ok. I'm happy to disagree.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Wouldn't drop Smith or Young - both played well and have a lot more to give, which only playing at the top level will allow.

Bit worried about Richards' form but if we drop him for Lipinski we look a lot slower. Richards for Williams maybe.

No change otherwise.

bornadog
31-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Wouldn't drop Smith or Young - both played well and have a lot more to give, which only playing at the top level will allow.

Bit worried about Richards' form but if we drop him for Lipinski we look a lot slower. Richards for Williams maybe.

No change otherwise.

I wonder what the real reason was for Williams not playing today

1eyedog
31-03-2019, 10:35 PM
That's ok. I'm happy to disagree.

Ah that's right sorry token whipping boy. Soz forgets...

EasternWest
31-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Ah that's right sorry token whipping boy. Soz forgets...

I resent that. I have legitimate gripes with his disposal and decision making. I've never had a "token whipping boy" in my life.

I think he's totally a paycheque player that takes the easy option 100% of the time and for a guy with a deadly leg cannon he sure kicks a lot of crap.

1eyedog
31-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Happy to disagree with you.

I thought he was important today. 25 kicks and tried his guts out.

bornadog
31-03-2019, 10:49 PM
I resent that. I have legitimate gripes with his disposal and decision making. I've never had a "token whipping boy" in my life.

I think he's totally a paycheque player that takes the easy option 100% of the time and for a guy with a deadly leg cannon he sure kicks a lot of crap.

2 clangers and 76% disposal efficiency from 29 disposals.

I thought he played a very good game today although his first half was better than the second half.

Testekill
31-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Think that Smith is building nicely and will benefit from as much senior games as possible so that he can adjust to the pace as quickly as possible.

comrade
31-03-2019, 10:52 PM
2 clangers and 76% disposal efficiency from 29 disposals.

I thought he played a very good game today although his first half was better than the second half.

Obviously putting a ball 50m in the air to no real advantage doesn’t count as a Clanger because he must have done that 10+ times. He was ok overall but if someone was playing well enough to replace him, I’d be very happy.

westbulldog
31-03-2019, 10:52 PM
No change

soupman
31-03-2019, 11:10 PM
We are carrying Smith atm so I like the idea of swapping him for Lipinski. Smith was better today but I think that's good, shows him he is capable and now we let him play VFL for a couple of weeks to just really build confidence and get the ball knowing he will get another chance soon.

I'm not huge on Young but he was good enough to retain his spot, although should Williams be fit then I'd happily unswap them.

Richards need to stay. He is in and out of games atm but when he is involved good stuff happens. He is also a point of difference to our entire forward half and we have no obvious replacement for his role.

Bullies
01-04-2019, 10:32 AM
I'm always down with dropping Suckling. Suckling would have been in our top 6. Not sure what more he needs to do. If he kicked 10 the same people would want him dropped the next week.

Mantis
01-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Suckling would have been in our top 6. Not sure what more he needs to do. If he kicked 10 the same people would want him dropped the next week.

What made his game worthy of being in our top 6?

Ghost Dog
01-04-2019, 10:56 AM

I also agree in part. Someone like Caleb Daniel I would call an elite kick. I think he's a far better decision maker in terms of field kicking. Suckling can kick the laces off it but some ( maybe 20% of the time? ) of the shockers he dishes up cancels that out a bit, sadly because he is a valuable asset otherwise. It's like Lindsay Gillbee in his twighlight - he got the label of 'legendary kick' and sort of became a bit complacent.

merantau
03-04-2019, 07:18 PM
After reading this thread I have a message for the players: get injured, sick or in need of a rest at your own risk. Lose your spot and it might be a few weeks before you're back in the side.

bornadog
03-04-2019, 11:58 PM
If JJ comes in, who misses?

dog town
04-04-2019, 04:13 AM
Suckling is not in our top 6 players but in terms of importance he is right up there. Despite his frustrating tendencies he is one of only a handful we have who impact on the outside. Even more important in the absence of JJ. Not the hardest role to play but much needed.

The potential return of JJ is huge for us. Be interesting to see how we look with JJ and Daniel up and going.

jeemak
04-04-2019, 04:43 AM
I kind of understand the frustration with what Suckling can do badly from time to time, but I don't think it is very well balanced with what he actually brings to the side in terms of defending, providing an option and at least trying to make us move when we need to move.

So many times these past two years without his input we'd have been more constipated in our forward movement than the time I had glandular fever and had to take a shit tonne of codeine and aspro clear to keep the pain away.

Every time he gets his hands on the footy the opposition doesn't have it, if he's getting it in the high twenties and moving it around mid seventies in efficiency it's OK and by far better than anything we can replace him with and clearly better than most we already have in the team in our back six or across the wing areas.

If things keep going well for us we'll end up getting him on the back of more exiting plays, but honestly, as exiting as we have been these past two weeks there's a lot of work still to do to get the cream rising to the top, if we do he'll be part of it.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2019, 11:43 AM
If JJ comes in, who misses?

The only player that comes to mind might be young Ed.

bornadog
04-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Bevo in presser today says JJ is unlikely to play.

Mofra
04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Bevo in presser today says JJ is unlikely to play.
Give JJ half a game in the VFL to get some touch.

We might go in unchanged or rest a couple of boys for the 5 day turnaround. Lippi is playing out of his skin and deserves a chance and Williams is best 22, I'd like to find a way for Young to stay in as his bodywork isn't there yet but he's only 20 and can intercept mark which is a hallmark of our defence.

westdog54
04-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Unless we had some concerns around specific match-ups against Gold Coast I would be going in unchanged.

If Williams is fit again Young makes way, this isn't a sleight on Young but Williams adds more value when fit.

KT31
04-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Sweet, Greene and Lipinski all named on the extended interchange.
You would think after two great games Lippa will get a call up.
Sweet actually named twice on the bench on the AFL app.

hujsh
04-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Sweet, Greene and Lipinski all named on the extended interchange.
You would think after two great games Lippa will get a call up.
Sweet actually named twice on the bench on the AFL app.

Williams is the 4th in.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 08:50 PM
Sweet?

Is that aimed at Trengove (if he's fit).

Axe Man
04-04-2019, 08:58 PM
Sweet?

Is that aimed at Trengove (if he's fit).

Trengove is out with gastro/ankle.

boydogs
05-04-2019, 12:59 AM
Don't drop Richards, he's been very valuable with the ball just outside 50 where he can burst into space and deliver the ball to our forwards

Unique combination of electric pace and great inside 50 delivery. Only he, Daniel & Bont can kick a ball to a leading forward, and the other two aren't quick

jeemak
05-04-2019, 02:35 AM
Don't drop Richards, he's been very valuable with the ball just outside 50 where he can burst into space and deliver the ball to our forwards

Unique combination of electric pace and great inside 50 delivery. Only he, Daniel & Bont can kick a ball to a leading forward, and the other two aren't quick

Bailey Smith is another who can hit up a target without thinking about it too much as well, which is a great sign for someone who is still trying to get into the game and get his hands on it piece by piece.

AshMac
05-04-2019, 08:58 AM
I’d drop suckling - not based on form, just to give him a weeks rest - and bring in Bailey Williams to have another look at. Williams was dreadful round one and was hyped as having a proper breakout year this year.

Smith is getting better and better the more game time he plays. Give him another run, have a proper look and he is the one that makes space for JJ next week.

Side point - at the moment, I don’t see a spot for Boyd when he is fit.

westbulldog
05-04-2019, 12:28 PM
I am glad to see Jordon Sweet in the mix, hope he gets a run against GC. Naughton might have a field day.

The Underdog
05-04-2019, 12:58 PM
I am glad to see Jordon Sweet in the mix, hope he gets a run against GC. Naughton might have a field day.

If they can't play English and Trengove in the same team, they can't play English and Sweet. It's a positive that Sweet is aimed on the extended bench but I can't see how he plays unless English, Schache or Naughton aren't playing.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Watch Libba, he can deliver to a forward very well.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-04-2019, 05:01 PM
I dont think Williams was bad roundn1more like he nullifiedn his own game to team play defense. His kicking was good although othrrs criticized it. He did what Suckling and all penetrating kicksn from defence should do: not kick it long to a player rather long out in front of them for the player to run onto.

bornadog
05-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Round 3 Team UNCHANGED
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast Suns

B: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
HB: Caleb Daniel, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling
C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae
HF: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Josh Dunkley
F: Toby McLean, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis
Int: Lewis Young, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Tory Dickson
Emer: Pat Lipinski, Fergus Greene, Bailey Williams, Jordon Sweet

Axe Man
05-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Who gets the job on Sexton, clearly their most dangerous forward? I'm thinking Crozier?

bulldogtragic
05-04-2019, 06:33 PM
Who gets the job on Sexton, clearly their most dangerous forward? I'm thinking Crozier?

I'd like Crozier left a little freer if we can, I like his counter attack. I'd nominate Duryea for the job, I was really impressed with his defensive work last week. If that doesn't work, then Crozier.

soupman
05-04-2019, 07:42 PM
On the Sweet thing I think it is less about Sweet being close to selection and more about having a spare ruck.

I believe the main reason the AFL went to 4 emergencies was because single ruck teams basically have to have a ruck as an emergency otherwise if their ruck is a late withdrawal they're screwed. This meant only 2 emergencies were left so by extending it to 4, it means you can have a dedicated ruck emergency spot and still have variety in the other 3 spots.

Seeing as we have zero rucks in our team if English goes down it means we can expect to see Boyd, Trengove or Sweet as an emergency regardless of form or ability unless two of those three + English are in the 22.

Bumper Bulldogs
05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
I like the unchanged side. Happy to make a couple the week after but we need to settle and just keep the momentum rolling.

bornadog
06-04-2019, 12:07 AM
I'd like Crozier left a little freer if we can, I like his counter attack. I'd nominate Duryea for the job, I was really impressed with his defensive work last week. If that doesn't work, then Crozier.

Duryea might be a bit tired after tonight's game:D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3YNsogUIAEM9BB.jpg

Vred
06-04-2019, 08:31 AM
Duryea might be a bit tired after tonight's game:D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3YNsogUIAEM9BB.jpg

I saw this, gave me a good chuckle

westbulldog
06-04-2019, 01:04 PM
If they can't play English and Trengove in the same team, they can't play English and Sweet. It's a positive that Sweet is aimed on the extended bench but I can't see how he plays unless English, Schache or Naughton aren't playing.
I can't see why we can't have 2 rucks in the main team if they earn their spot, it isn't unusual. Westcoast are doing it, Essendon did it last night, Brisbane with Martin and McInerney, Hawthorn with McEvoy and Ceglar and I suspect when Ryder is fit Port will do the same. Good point made by Soupaman about the 4-man extended bench though. I just think we will see Sweet and Lynch in the team this year especially if Lynch reproduces what he showed v Richmond last year.

boydogs
06-04-2019, 01:49 PM
I can't see why we can't have 2 rucks in the main team if they earn their spot, it isn't unusual. Westcoast are doing it, Essendon did it last night, Brisbane with Martin and McInerney, Hawthorn with McEvoy and Ceglar and I suspect when Ryder is fit Port will do the same. Good point made by Soupaman about the 4-man extended bench though. I just think we will see Sweet and Lynch in the team this year especially if Lynch reproduces what he showed v Richmond last year.

In all cases at least one if not both rucks are capable forwards. This is why Boyd is so important, he's a better tap ruck and better forward than English and Trengove

Ghost Dog
06-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Round 3 Team UNCHANGED
Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast Suns

B: Taylor Duryea, Zaine Cordy, Hayden Crozier
HB: Caleb Daniel, Easton Wood, Matthew Suckling
C: Lachie Hunter, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae
HF: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Josh Dunkley
F: Toby McLean, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis
Int: Lewis Young, Bailey Smith, Ed Richards, Tory Dickson
Emer: Pat Lipinski, Fergus Greene, Bailey Williams, Jordon Sweet
I'm incredibly proud of Caleb and Bevo backing him in to play there at HB. It's working, but would any other coach have the balls?

Testekill
06-04-2019, 08:12 PM
I'm incredibly proud of Caleb and Bevo backing him in to play there at HB. It's working, but would any other coach have the balls?

Another coach would have lost his nerve and probably would have replaced Duryea or Suckling. He'd be aware of how good Daniel is but would over compensate with a tall replacing one of them