PDA

View Full Version : Statistical Analysis of The Bulldogs

LostDoggy
08-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey gang, I've compiled a few interesting statistics(thanks to the prospectus) on the 2007 season and some very interesting stats on the list in general heading in to 2008. I hope it does show some insight into where we can improve.

Experience and Age

- 7th most 'experienced' team with an average of 68.4 games per player.
- 7th oldest average team with an average of 23.5 years.

Height and Weight

- 9th tallest average team with an average of 188.0cm. (Interesting to note that in 2005 we were the average tallest team in the league at 189.1cm)
- 16th heaviest team at an average of 84.kg. A Massive 3.4kg on average lighter then Geelong who are number 1. That's nearly 75kg lighter over the ground on match day. (should also note here that 8 out of 11 draftees in 2006/2007 have been under 80kgs)

Bulldogs Vs Oppositions Statistics Round by Round 2007

- 0.9% less efficient kicking.
- 2.5% less efficient handballing.

- The Bulldogs gave away the most free kicks in the defensive 50 in the AFL - 23 more then the AFL average. Ryan Hargrave was the main culprit with 23 in total.

- The Bulldogs conceded 108 'score launches' from their attacking 50. The worst in the league.

- The Bulldogs committed 205 clangers in their defensive 50. The 2nd most in the AFL. Lake committing 26 of them.

- In 2006-2007(the last 46 games) the Dogs had minus 578 uncontested possessions then their opposition. To put this in perspective, Hawthorn are the 2nd worst offenders and they have only conceded 295 more uncontested possessions. This statistic is an abomination.

Team Leaders

Contested Possession Average
- West = 9.8
- Cross = 8.1
- Cooney = 6.9

Uncontested Possession Average
- Boyd = 18.0
- West = 17.3
- Cross = 16.7

Clearances Average
- Cooney = 4.1
- Boyd = 3.9
- West = 3.7

Goals
- Johnson = 59
- Cooney = 28
- Higgins = 26

Score Assists
- Giansiracusa = 35
- Johnson = 25
- Higgins = 24

Free Kicks For Minus Free Kicks Against
Best
- West = +21
- Cross = +17
- Gilbee = +9

Worst
- Hargrave = -19
- Akermanis = - 15
- McMahon = -11

GVGjr
08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Terrific stuff there B2B

hujsh
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
- The Bulldogs conceded 108 'score launches' from their attacking 50. The worst in the league.

Hmm. We would have been no.1 in 05/06.

*Edit* Thought it was started score launches from defensive 50 (i was abit tired)

Mofra
09-02-2008, 02:48 PM

This is one stat that really matters IMO. We need our forwards to apply far more defensive pressure - Harbrow is already outstanding in this area.

Mantis
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Some good info. there. What it all means, who knows, not really.

As Mofra pointed out it shows that our forwardline allows the ball out of there zone with too much ease. Let's hope Murf, Johnno and Higgins in particular have learnt how to apply pressure in the off-season.

Other things we must change:

* Don't allow Hargrave to play in defence on someone taller than 185cm. Probably shouldn't happen now with the introduction of Everitt, Williams and McDougall, but if we do we are asking for trouble.
* Lake simply must learn to use the ball more effectively.
* Pick up your opponent to cut down on the amount of uncontested possessions the opposition have.

LostDoggy
09-02-2008, 09:42 PM
To me its obvious weight is a very important stat here, and a reason leading to some of the other stats.

Scorlibo
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
That defficiency in disposal is a big concern - having clean disposal is crucial to the success of our style of game.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 12:32 PM
To me its obvious weight is a very most important stat here, and a reason leading to some of the other stats.

Yep, agree. North Melbourne are on average the smallest team at 186.5cm. But there average weight is the 3rd heaviest in the league at 87.3kg! Only .2kg off Geelong.

So the difference in weight between Geelong and North on game day is about 4kg. Compared to the Dogs who give up close to 75kg against Geelong..

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the analysis of the stats. I'm not sure how important they all are but it does make for a good read.

DOG GOD
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Very interesting read...well done :)

bornadog
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
:)There is only one stat that really matters.................................. most wins in the season

LostDoggy
11-02-2008, 10:03 PM
:)There is only one stat that really matters.................................. most wins in the season
:) That stat doesn't guarantee a GF win.

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Good stats mate.

This is a very unpopular thing to say, but the Hargrave statistic above should be noted. The charitable and orthodox interpretation is that he plays above his height and gives away free kicks because he is too small for the jobs he's asked to do.

But I reckon he's simply too often in the wrong position and too flustered under pressure. He is the last person I like to see with the ball in the backline. But...seems like he's first picked every week so he's clearly doing something valuable, buggered if I see it though.

Sockeye Salmon
12-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Good stats mate.

This is a very unpopular thing to say, but the Hargrave statistic above should be noted. The charitable and orthodox interpretation is that he plays above his height and gives away free kicks because he is too small for the jobs he's asked to do.

But I reckon he's simply too often in the wrong position and too flustered under pressure. He is the last person I like to see with the ball in the backline. But...seems like he's first picked every week so he's clearly doing something valuable, buggered if I see it though.

The way the rules are now, no-one will ever be able to successfully play on a taller opponent (unless he's a total gumby). Francis Bourke and Bruce Doull would never be able to play key back under the current rules.

Hargrave is firmly entrenched in our best 22, he just can't be asked to do jobs that he's physically not capable to do.

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Ryan Hargrave hasn't improved in this department for years.

2004: FF = 5 FA = 15 Total = -10
2005: FF = 10 FA = 19 Total = -9
2006: FF = 13 FA = 29 Total = -16 (Worst at the club)
2007: FF = 15 FA = 34 Total = -19 (Worst at the club and the worst for a defender in the league)

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Ryan Hargrave hasn't improved in this department for years.

2004: FF = 5 FA = 15 Total = -10
2005: FF = 10 FA = 19 Total = -9
2006: FF = 13 FA = 29 Total = -16 (Worst at the club)
2007: FF = 15 FA = 34 Total = -19 (Worst at the club and the worst for a defender in the league)

Interesting....do you have his 'clanger' or 'turnover' stats as well?

I sure he's a lovely bloke etc and adds value somewhere, but his contribution is too subtle for me, and also for those who judge the best players each week since his name never appears there. I wonder whether we'll see him play a different position this year...

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Interesting....do you have his 'clanger' or 'turnover' stats as well?

I sure he's a lovely bloke etc and adds value somewhere, but his contribution is too subtle for me, and also for those who judge the best players each week since his name never appears there. I wonder whether we'll see him play a different position this year...

Hargrave played the most minutes on ground of any Bulldog. He conceded 35 Goals for the season. He pick up the most 'groundball gets' in the defence 50 for the Bulldogs.

His kicking efficiency was %80.2. Which is middle of the range. Put this in perspective McMahon was %75 and Gilbee %85.

He really needs to work on his contested marking. Taking only 32 contested marks in 119 games.

His spoiling was also slightly down in 2007 compared to his 2005/2006 numbers.

hujsh
12-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I'd like to see Hargrave jump across the packs and take marks. I don't really have a reason why but i can just see him doing it.

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't really have a reason why but i can just see him doing it.

I reckon in his 100+ games he would have done it at least once by now. He's just a poor pack mark. Which is why they are focusing on his strengths. Like his running ability. I reckon we will see him a lot further up the ground this year.

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:47 PM
He can definitely run off his man and kick the unexpected goal. He seems to prefer doing that to defending. He kicked a killer snap from out of a pack against WCE in 2006 and a similar effort against Port Adelaide that year.

But I personally can't see him taking big contested marks no matter where you play him.

The 'most minutes on the ground' stat suggests he what, he doesn't get injured? Or he's doing a better job than Morris, Lake, et al in the backline? Baffles me a bit.

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
The 'most minutes on the ground' stat suggests he what, he doesn't get injured? Or he's doing a better job than Morris, Lake, et al in the backline? Baffles me a bit.

He was only benched 9 times all year. Harris was only benched 4 times all year. But Harris missed 2 matches and Morris also missed some so Hargrave topped the time on ground stat. Doesn't really mean much at all.:p

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
You've got all the answers Beuts!!

hujsh
12-02-2008, 08:45 PM
He was only benched 9 times all year. Harris was only benched 4 times all year. But Harris missed 2 matches and Morris also missed some so Hargrave topped the time on ground stat. Doesn't really mean much at all.:p

Helps explain the free kick stat

LostDoggy
12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Helps explain the free kick stat

I suppose when you give away 2 free kicks to your 1 free kick for every game then the more you play the worse the stat gets.