PDA

View Full Version : 2019 JLT Series - Match 2 Western Bulldogs v St Kilda

Hotdog60
07-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Key forward Josh Schache has been named for the Western Bulldogs’ second 2019 JLT Community Series clash, against St Kilda on Sunday afternoon.
The Bulldogs have named an extended 30-player squad for the clash at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium.
Schache, who was named in the extended squad for last week’s clash with the Gold Coast Suns but was not named in the final team, kicked three goals in a VFL practice match against Box Hill Hawks and has been named at centre half forward.
The extended 30-player squad remains the same as for round one of the JLT Community Series, with the Bulldogs to again field a strong side.
With up to eight players permitted on the bench for the pre-season matches, the Bulldogs’ extended squad will be reduced to a between 22 and 26 players at 5pm tomorrow.
Those not selected in the final team are expected to line-up in for Footscray Bulldogs in a VFL practice match at Sandringham, also at Mars Stadium, at 12.30pm on Sunday.

JLT Community Series
Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
Sunday 10 March, 4.10pm AEDT
Mars Stadium, Ballarat

B: Easton Wood, Aaron Naughton, Dale Morris
HB: Hayden Crozier, Zaine Cordy, Caleb Daniel
C: Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Ed Richards
HF: Billy Gowers, Josh Schache, Sam Lloyd
F: Toby McLean, Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore
Ruck: Jackson Trengove, Josh Dunkley, Mitch Wallis
Int (from): Matthew Suckling, Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Ben Cavarra, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Fergus Greene, Will Hayes, Bailey Williams, Lachlan Young, Tim English

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-07/jlt-2-team)

Bumper Bulldogs
07-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Looks like we are fielding a strong team, hope the forwards get a good look at it this week as they are easy pickings and should run us into the season choc full of confidence

kruder
07-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Be nice to see at least one of Cavarra/Greene to get a run there is a lot of sameness about last weeks group particularly forward, I think we have gone a little safe with selections.

Great to see Schache in the starting line up has to play surely.

Any sign of lynch?

AshMac
07-03-2019, 10:21 PM
suprised cavarra and west werent named for a run. must be getting close to a round one line up

Dry Rot
07-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Fair to say that these 18 players start in Round 1?

And Suckling, Williams and English in too?

So leaves one spot to be decided. Who should it be?

kruder
07-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Fair to say that these 18 players start in Round 1?

And Suckling, Williams and English in too?

So leaves one spot to be decided. Who should it be?

There is so much ball winning ability in that side but gee we lack leg speed and some natural forward instinct. I'm hoping Cavarra gets a chance on Sunday to impress.

Rocket Science
07-03-2019, 11:58 PM
There is so much ball winning ability in that side but gee we lack leg speed and some natural forward instinct. I'm hoping Cavarra gets a chance on Sunday to impress.

Aye, demonstrates perfectly how vital a fit JJ is to us.

Dry Rot
08-03-2019, 12:20 AM

How did we end up, after multiple drafts, with only one good quick player?

1eyedog
08-03-2019, 11:55 AM
How did we end up, after multiple drafts, with only one good quick player?

Just got another one, Smith. Lynch yet to prove his worth. If you kick the ball well speed is not as critical. Unfortunately we don't.

hujsh
08-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Just got another one, Smith. Lynch yet to prove his worth. If you kick the ball well speed is not as critical. Unfortunately we don't.
Richards too. Maybe not cemented best 22 yet but does look good

Axe Man
08-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Richards is reasonably quick isn't he?

Mantis
08-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Reading the match info. blerb it sounds like car parking in the immediate area of the ground is limited.. is that the case?

I'll be in Ballarat for the day and would like to catch at least half of the game, but with 2 x boys under 5 in tow I may need to depart quickly and don't want it to be impossible to get them into the car and heading back to Melb.. thoughts?

GVGjr
08-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Reading the match info. blerb it sounds like car parking in the immediate area of the ground is limited.. is that the case?

I'll be in Ballarat for the day and would like to catch at least half of the game, but with 2 x boys under 5 in tow I may need to depart quickly and don't want it to be impossible to get them into the car and heading back to Melb.. thoughts?

From memory parking is quite difficult. You can find spots but there could be a long walk.
I'm going up by train

I haven't checked the clubs website but there might be some information that helps you

Eastdog
08-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Thanks for starting the thread Hotdog60.

In the first JLT there were positive signs but still a lot to work on. The forward half of the ground is where I’ll be looking to on Saturday. Need to take as best advantage as we can when we get it up our end. Had we done so last week we would have won. In the last game of 2018 against the Tigers that let us down again in a game we should have won.

mjp
08-03-2019, 01:53 PM
I don’t think English will play round 1. Trengove will ruck with schache and Cordy giving him a chop out of 5-7 mins each quarter.

Eastdog
08-03-2019, 01:54 PM

Will miss JJ early on. Need his run if half back.

mjp
08-03-2019, 01:59 PM

Hasn’t Wallis shown enough to have that small, goal kicking forward role locked away? He isn’t quick but has shown himself to be very effective in the f50. I guess Lipinski is a bit one paced but overall our leg speed is ok. JJ is super quick but it didn’t help him break tags last year...

I think the leg speed comments I am hearing are a bit over the top - Adelaide have build an awesome group of midfield/half back runners and I don’t think they have any genuine speedsters...no one is suggesting that the crouch-crouch-Sloane-Gibbs group is too slow...

Axe Man
08-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Schache & Lachlan Young in, Lipinski out, going with 1 extra player this week.

Int: Matthew Suckling, Bailey Smith, Taylor Duryea, Will Hayes, Bailey Williams, Lachlan Young, Tim English

Emer: Rhylee West, Ben Cavarra, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Fergus Greene

divvydan
08-03-2019, 06:39 PM
AFL site also has Greene on the bench, not sure which is more accurate, I assume the club site is.

hujsh
08-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Not impressed leaving Dickson and Cavarra out frankly.

Axe Man
08-03-2019, 06:49 PM
AFL site also has Greene on the bench, not sure which is more accurate, I assume the club site is.

I would say the AFL site is wrong, probably couldn't understand that we are going 1 player short.

They also noted this:

Notable absentees: Liam Picken, Lin Jong, Roarke Smith

Apparently Roarke Smith is a more notable absentee than JJ or Boyd?

mjp
08-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Not impressed leaving Dickson and Cavarra out frankly.

If they aren't going to play round 1 - and it seems pretty clear that Dickson never was and Cavarra hasn't done enough, well, what's the point.

GVGjr
08-03-2019, 07:14 PM
I'm looking forward to attending another game in Ballarat plus it's a strong team we have selected. The weather should be OK for the game as well

hujsh
08-03-2019, 07:28 PM
If they aren't going to play round 1 - and it seems pretty clear that Dickson never was and Cavarra hasn't done enough, well, what's the point.

I suppose I'm used to the pattern of previous years where we get to see more players get a shot. Cararra seems like the kind of player who we lack compared to Hayes who doesn't seem to offer anything we don't already have.

Dickson I suppose I just forgot he was on a modified program. and probably isn't fit.

divvydan
08-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Remember with Hayes he's come through the VFL side so he's probably further ahead in terms of adapting to our style and what's required of him in whatever role he has. Cavarra might need some time to nail down the right role.

comrade
08-03-2019, 09:17 PM

There's parking in the streets near the ground mate. I'll be there, let's catch up.

bornadog
08-03-2019, 10:23 PM
I wonder if we will play Schache, Trengove and English in the same team in the season proper?

kruder
09-03-2019, 01:47 AM
Hasn’t Wallis shown enough to have that small, goal kicking forward role locked away? He isn’t quick but has shown himself to be very effective in the f50. I guess Lipinski is a bit one paced but overall our leg speed is ok. JJ is super quick but it didn’t help him break tags last year...

I think the leg speed comments I am hearing are a bit over the top - Adelaide have build an awesome group of midfield/half back runners and I don’t think they have any genuine speedsters...no one is suggesting that the crouch-crouch-Sloane-Gibbs group is too slow...

I like Wallis resting forward, but I want a forward that plays forward not forward mid wing. How do you build continuity down there? Give me Dickson, Greene and potentially Cavarra( why not play him in JLT?) any day forward over Dunkley Wallis Hayes Linpinksi. Our midfield is deep enough now Libba is back surely we can afford to play Schache and a smaller type permanently down there. Gowers can even go midfield if we are so desperate for flexibility.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2019, 08:19 AM
Don't mind that we're going in with a settled side, even if that means a few players we would have hoped to see don't feature. Let's get some continuity in the early part of the year and build.

Hoped Lipinski would hold a spot but didn't watch last week and maybe he's just outside of our best team at the moment.

GVGjr
09-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Don't mind that we're going in with a settled side, even if that means a few players we would have hoped to see don't feature. Let's get some continuity in the early part of the year and build.

Hoped Lipinski would hold a spot but didn't watch last week and maybe he's just outside of our best team at the moment.

It looks a strong enough side and with the addition of Schache it has a better avenue towards goal than last week.

The Lachlan Young addition is an interesting one, I mentioned him as someone to watch a few weeks back but I didn't think he would force his way onto an extended bench especially at the expense of Dickson, Greene, Lipinski and Cavarra. He's obviously been impressive throughout the summer.

I'm fascinated to see how the forward line functions with Gowers, Lloyd, Schache, Wallis and Bontempelli. If we can get this right it should cause opposition teams some problems.

Go_Dogs
09-03-2019, 08:44 AM
I'm fascinated to see how the forward line functions with Gowers, Lloyd, Schache, Wallis and Bontempelli. If we can get this right it should cause opposition teams some problems.

It looks like a reasonable mix on paper.

Gowers and Wallis are solid medium options who can mark the ball. They need to be at their best defensively once the ball hits the ground and hope their teammates up the field help out with setting up quickly which reduces the impact of their lack of toe.

Schache and Bont is a strong 1-2 tall combo.

Lloyd I need to see more of, but he compliments that mix well.

comrade
09-03-2019, 11:47 AM

I'm less fascinated and more terrified. On paper, that is a pretty average forward line up.

MrMahatma
09-03-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm less fascinated and more terrified. On paper, that is a pretty average forward line up.

I agree. Will hardly have defensive units losing sleep.

GVGjr
09-03-2019, 01:14 PM

I think Gowers, Wallis, Schache and Bontempelli can keep the scoreboard ticking over and I'm hopeful Lloyd, McLean and Dunkley can help in that area as well.

bornadog
09-03-2019, 01:17 PM
I think Gowers, Wallis, Schache and Bontempelli can keep the scoreboard ticking over and I'm hopeful Lloyd, McLean and Dunkley can help in that area as well.

the delivery into the forward line is our issue. These guys can kick goals but if we just bomb the ball I the air then it is way too difficult to kick goals.

hujsh
09-03-2019, 01:54 PM
the delivery into the forward line is our issue. These guys can kick goals but if we just bomb the ball I the air then it is way too difficult to kick goals.

Gowers and Bont are pretty iffy on the whole kicking them aspect. They can certainly kick plenty of points.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2019, 02:46 PM
Also heading along tomorrow, so hopefully it's a good positive day!

Eastdog
09-03-2019, 03:46 PM

We get it up there enough times we just need to be more efficient up there which we certainly are not. Need marking targets Schache and Gowers come to mind. If we get it up to Schache a lot we know he is a good kick.

SonofScray
09-03-2019, 05:17 PM

They're all good for a goal a game minimum, IMO.

Schache I believe is a good enough kick, that with the right supply he could be good for a few bags of 5 across the season. Bont and Gowers too, maybe even bigger bags if they took their chances more consistently.

In fact each of those guys has a decent nose for goal, if not quite the big bag of tricks the exciting forwards in history have had.

1eyedog
09-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Richards is reasonably quick isn't he?

Absolutely. Jong is too but has been used inside because of his inconsistency by foot.

mjp
09-03-2019, 10:02 PM

So...what do you propose instead?

Mofra
09-03-2019, 11:02 PM
So...what do you propose instead?
I'll bite - play and develop forwards with forward instinct?

We seem to have a couple on our list that have shown they can do it at AFL level - Gowers and Dickson are two, and Greene has shown he can do it in a small sample size.

I also don't see what Hayes brings that other players on our list don't - kudos on getting onto a list and he has shown he can find the ball in JLT, his ball use was terrible though.
I like what I hear about Lachie Young but he's a rebounding defender, it's one area we are absolutely stacked with especially now Daniel is playing back there.

If Caverra hasn't shown enough, fine, but Dickson last week is talking about the best pre-season he's had in years and he can't even get a JLT game for the side with one of the worst F50 conversion rates in the comp?

Wallis starts midfield last week as the player in the competition with perhaps the biggest clearance differential to his name when starting in the centre square (2018 figures) yet was our third most able forward last year when he played there. Schache doesn't get a game last week despite being our only proper KPF on the list?

We talk a good soundbite about wanting to fix our forwardline issues but thus far it still seems like an afterthought.

jeemak
09-03-2019, 11:50 PM
Mofra - with respect to Dickson it might be felt that putting him through a slow build is the way to go, so as to not waste all of the good work to date in a mostly full preseason. Given his age and the issues he's had with his body, perhaps a conservative approach is being taken (something Chris Bell would have been advocating for, no doubt!!)?

I've got no problem with him being able to impact games of footy and positively impacting our forward system when he returns, my concerns surround him staying on the park!

LostDoggy
10-03-2019, 11:13 AM
There is a view that our fwd line delivery is terrible. The flipside is that we have a fwd line choc full of mids who don't know how to lead/play fwd thereby giving our mids SFA to kick to.

Schache, Dickson and Fergus seem our most natural fwds. Wonder why 2 of them aren't playing?

boydogs
10-03-2019, 11:29 AM
There is a view that our fwd line delivery is terrible. The flipside is that we have a fwd line choc full of mids who don't know how to lead/play fwd thereby giving our mids SFA to kick to.

Schache, Dickson and Fergus seem our most natural fwds. Wonder why 2 of them aren't playing?

Picken & Hunter will lead as well, as did Redpath who has obviously moved on

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 12:26 PM
I don’t think English will play round 1. Trengove will ruck with schache and Cordy giving him a chop out of 5-7 mins each quarter.

If English doesn't play then it's likely we won't have anyone from the 2016 draft playing either with Lipinski, Lewis Young and Greene just not quite on the radar. I've got high hope for Lipinski along with English though.
I'm not sure if that is a sign of strength or an unbalanced list or that we haven't quite developed the players as we would have hoped for but you would expect a couple of them to be right in the selection process.

Mofra
10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
I'd be surprised if English doesn't play if only on the basis of how highly he's rated internally. We played him ahead of Schache in JLT 1 and English has supposedly been the 'star' trainer of the pre-season.

I guess we'll know in a few hours. If we can't find a way to score against a Carlisle-less St Kilda that will flag huge concerns for the season proper.

mjp
10-03-2019, 03:22 PM
..... English has supposedly been the 'star' trainer of the pre-season.

Yes...but pre season training and football games are not the same thing.

English is NOT a forward. He doesn’t really have a history of kicking bags of goals...he is a ruckman and he needs to play in the ruck. But at this point, Trengove is bigger, stronger and more effective in a contest.

So where the hell does English play? 5-7 mins per quarter as a backup ruckman? That is not going to work...unless he can at least compete as a forward, he isn’t going to be able to play...our forward line is inexperienced enough without chucking 200cm bloke down there who don’t know when to lead or how to create spAce down there to further mess things up.

I understand he is highly rated and he us undoubted talent...but I honestly cannot see how he fits in the 22. Unless having a development year in which case Trengove plays vfl and English plays ruck...it doesn’t look like that is going to happen though.

mjp
10-03-2019, 03:24 PM
If English doesn't play then it's likely we won't have anyone from the 2016 draft playing either with Lipinski, Lewis Young and Greene just not quite on the radar. I've got high hope for Lipinski along with English though.
I'm not sure if that is a sign of strength or an unbalanced list or that we haven't quite developed the players as we would have hoped for but you would expect a couple of them to be right in the selection process.

I think all Lipinski, Greene and English are all in the mix. Young is just too untidy by foot/prone to TO.

Maybe they are a little behind where we would like but all of them seem to be talented...

Smads57
10-03-2019, 04:01 PM
I mentioned in the VFL thread that Cavarro didn’t play, so might be a late call up to the AFL side(?)

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 04:22 PM
The ground is a picture today and despite a bit of breeze conditions should be excellent

Smads57
10-03-2019, 04:23 PM
We’ve now got almost blue skies and minimal wind here in Ballarat. Looking forward to the main show!

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 04:24 PM
I mentioned in the VFL thread that Cavarro didn’t play, so might be a late call up to the AFL side(?)

I wonder if that might be as an extra player or if he is replacing someone.? We will know soon enough

Smads57
10-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Players out running some drills but no Cavarro after all ��

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Re; English. We're evidently so desperate to concoct a forward mix that works in some fashion or another, that despite his unsuitability he's going to get a crack along with everyone else.

I'm assuming we'll otherwise use him as a big wingman this year who'll just happen to take taps.

Mofra
10-03-2019, 04:59 PM
Yes...but pre season training and football games are not the same thing.

English is NOT a forward. He doesn’t really have a history of kicking bags of goals...he is a ruckman and he needs to play in the ruck. But at this point, Trengove is bigger, stronger and more effective in a contest.
I'm going by our pre-season reports that have had him training forward as much (if not moreso) than in the ruck.
Bevo is allergic to ruckmen that only ruck apparently.

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Naughton starting forward.

Don't go changing Bevo.

Mantis
10-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Why are we playing Naughton forward?

Makes no sense.

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Why are we playing Naughton forward?

Makes no sense.

Fear we're going to get a lot of mileage out of that question during the course of the year, just with different player names appended to it.

jeemak
10-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Kicking seems like it's an issue...…….surprise surprise.

Scraggers
10-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Disgraceful disposal and decision making.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2019, 05:28 PM
Kicking seems like it's an issue...…….surprise surprise.

Very very poor so far.

chef
10-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Yay finally

jeemak
10-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Every element of our skills is an absolute disgrace at this point.

The unwillingness to hit a target in a considered way, and the blinding run and give it off in an ill-considered way reminds me of the start of 2011.

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 05:33 PM
Oh look, Caleb isolated deep in a one-on-one again.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Oh look, Caleb isolated deep in a one-on-one again.

On a 200cm forward. I bet they didn't see us pulling that tactic, and putting Naugton up forward or on the bench. Wherever he is.

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 05:41 PM
I, for one, am amazed a dedicated backman can't be relied upon in front of the big sticks.

jeemak
Better finish for the quarter...……..good to see us actually try and hit up targets, if the execution improves I'll be happy.

DOG GOD
Nothing I’ve seen of us against GC or the saints, gives me confidence of NOT finishing in the bottom 3. Dear oh dear.

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Gee Dunkley must have the wrong boots on today. Two howlers and he also looks slow.
Wood has been noticeable and has been very positive the way he is attacking the game

Greystache
10-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Judging by the skill level in this game you'd suspect this is two bottom 4 teams out there, with St Kilda slightly ahead.

hujsh
10-03-2019, 05:50 PM
I'm just amazed we didn't bomb it long and looked to hit targets instead. More please.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Wow we look rubbish.

Surely Wood doesn’t play round one.

jeemak
10-03-2019, 05:52 PM
We seem so vanilla. Unless Bontempelli is lighting it up there doesn't seem to be any attribute to us that stands out.

ledge
10-03-2019, 05:56 PM
Long season , not sure how we are so close

ledge
10-03-2019, 05:59 PM
We are very reactive and not pro active , seem to be second to the ball and chasing a lot.

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 06:02 PM
If you can't use the ball efficiently you're dead in this league. Especially so with the new rule changes.

It's our biggest flaw. The rest writes itself.

Rocco Jones
10-03-2019, 06:04 PM
I get it is hard to play English and Trengove in the same team but conceding the hitout is dangerous with new 6-6-6 rule.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2019, 06:05 PM
I guess we skipped training to improve our skills over summer. This is frustrating to watch.

Scraggers
10-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Dale Morris looks cherry ripe ... hopefully he can stay injury free.

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Been out and just flicked it on. Who has impressed?

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 06:14 PM
I trust our timing will improve, it's early, but how many times have we handballed hurriedly to a bloke with no business being on the receiving end of it resulting in a turnover?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2019, 06:15 PM
We can’t possibly play Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Wallis and Hunter in the midfield. None can run out of the fog. We look so incredibly slow.

ledge
10-03-2019, 06:17 PM
I think I’ve nailed it , we are playing as individuals.

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Early days, I'm looking for some improvement in the 2nd half

BornInDroopSt'54
10-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Oh f........g dear. You WOOFERS had better be very anxious and wrong or we are having an anti-premiership year.

bornadog
10-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Saints are dominating going by the stats. Macrae well down with only 10 touches and his mates no better.

The Underdog
10-03-2019, 06:34 PM
Saints are dominating going by the stats. Macrae well down with only 10 touches and his mates no better.

Not good touches either.

1eyedog
10-03-2019, 06:34 PM
We'll rally in the second half. We are still learning four quarter footy we have the quality to run over the top of them.

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Nice finish Bont

jeemak
10-03-2019, 06:38 PM
Really good build up for that goal and a great finish.

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Bad defending there gifting them a goal.

jeemak
10-03-2019, 06:41 PM
I can't believe Caleb Daniel was out marked by a taller opponent again...………..it's like the opposition knows he's small.

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Really good build up for that goal and a great finish.

How’s it going in Vietnam jeemak? I’m guessing you have an AFL international pass to watch the games.

AndrewP6
10-03-2019, 06:46 PM
I've really missed footy... Seeing CD as a key back....

bornadog
10-03-2019, 06:57 PM
I have now managed to pick up the game live through my vpn

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 06:59 PM
Good mark before there by Wood.

bulldogtragic
10-03-2019, 07:01 PM
Who was that selfish ball hog that took the set shot from Wally!

Scraggers
10-03-2019, 07:04 PM
End to end football ... nice

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:05 PM
Great play from one end of the ground to the other

jeemak
10-03-2019, 07:07 PM
Better signs then...……….but disappointing to let one late one go (but not surprising).

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Mids on top that quarter with Macrae and Dunkley having a big quarter

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Very good signs from Lloyd. Bont as important as ever. Dunkley been pretty good.

Scraggers
10-03-2019, 07:16 PM
I’m not one to normally complain about umpiring, but geez

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 07:19 PM
We just need to keep this scoreboard ticking over. We do some good things but then cough it up.

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 07:20 PM
Lloyd has been okay

Eastdog
Be nice to get the win today.

Eastdog
Lloyd has been okay

How have you rated Naughton up forward?

divvydan
10-03-2019, 07:22 PM
Nearly half way through the last and we've only had 42 marks. Really need to retain the ball better with our kicking. Stkilda have 92 at the same point.

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Savage the dirty little prick

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Gee these Saints are snipers

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Saints dominating

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Cmon Dogs!

DOG GOD
10-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Wow another goalless qtr, or scoreless qtr lol

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Not sure what Wood was doing there

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:33 PM
Naughton the swing man

AndrewP6
10-03-2019, 07:38 PM
I’m not one to normally complain about umpiring, but geez

Yet we are waaaay ahead in the frees count.

azabob
10-03-2019, 07:38 PM
Naughton the swing man

Swingman in reverse?

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Naughton's been mildly handy up forward but you'd reckon the Saints might not have had it so easy aerially in attack if he was deployed in his natural position.

Gee we could use two of him.

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Bring on the real the stuff

Flamethrower
Saints "win" the JLT Cup - expect to see the DVD in stores soon, next to the DVD commemorating their 27 wooden spoons.

chef
What a meh performance. Going to be a long season.

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Disappointing finish but I'm not overly disappointed with how we played. We looked a lot better in the 2nd half

hujsh
10-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Who was that selfish ball hog that took the set shot from Wally!

Gowers

Rocket Science
10-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Lachie Hunter rightly names "our kicking" as the most glaring area that needs work.

That's great. But a bit tired of hearing us continually mouth it with good intentions while it seems to persist with no discernible improvement.

hujsh
10-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Similar to last week some encouraging individual performances in an overall poor team performace

HOSE B ROMERO
10-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Hmm ok when should i book my holidays this year... first week of September is definitely a possibility...

bornadog
10-03-2019, 07:53 PM
What a meh performance. Going to be a long season.

We will see.

Do you think Dees supporters are saying the same thing?

westbulldog
10-03-2019, 07:57 PM
For round 1 the MC may well have Moz at FF, Daniel on Buddy, Naughton on a wing and Ed Richards as first ruck. Nothing positive from these 2 weeks imo.

Eastdog
10-03-2019, 08:04 PM
I know the performances haven't been fantastic so far but at least we haven't got any further injuries from what we already have and chances are will come out firing in 2 weeks come the opening round.

Bring on the real stuff!

Go Dogs!

chef
10-03-2019, 08:06 PM
We will see.

Do you think Dees supporters are saying the same thing?

We seem to be playing exactly the same as the last two seasons. Yes we will see.

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Can we play both Trengove and English in the round one side? If not who will we play?

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Ed Richards was very quiet today. How can we get him more involved?

Bulldog4life
10-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Ed Richards was very quiet today. How can we get him more involved?

Put him where he plays his best footy at half back.

The Underdog
10-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Can we play both Trengove and English in the round one side? If not who will we play?

I was much more impressed with English’s tap work in the 2nd half, than Trengove, but then I’m a big believer in Tim long term

The Underdog
10-03-2019, 08:24 PM

That was my initial reaction but he was very effective as a forward last season too. I’d be tempted to give it a few weeks of the real stuff before panicking

Bulldog4life
10-03-2019, 08:26 PM
That was my initial reaction but he was very effective as a forward last season too. I’d be tempted to give it a few weeks of the real stuff before panicking

I was thinking that his speed would help us at half back with no JJ there.

The Underdog
10-03-2019, 08:31 PM
I was thinking that his speed would help us at half back with no JJ there.

I don’t necessarily disagree, not sure how we reshuffle the backline to achieve it, yet though

kruder
10-03-2019, 08:39 PM

Same with Sucking. Why did we recruit Duryea?

Remi Moses
10-03-2019, 08:41 PM
I think Lloyd’s been a real positive

G-Mo77
10-03-2019, 08:43 PM
Same with Sucking. Why did we recruit Duryea?

No idea mate. Lloyd made sense Duryea did not. Only real positive in my eyes when we recruited him was adding some experience.

comrade
10-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Anyone else a bit worried by Bailey Smith’s penchant for dribbling drop punts along the ground?

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 08:49 PM
Anyone else a bit worried by Bailey Smith’s penchant for dribbling drop punts along the ground?

A little bit. A couple of dreadful kicks today

GVGjr
10-03-2019, 09:08 PM
We are playing a few of the boys out of position, Suckling is capable of doing a lot more for us but he seems to be lost a bit up forward.

Doc26
10-03-2019, 10:15 PM

I’m putting it down to him being off with the pace of the game at this early stage.

The Pie Man
10-03-2019, 10:17 PM

Not really given we saw what he could do with a bit of space (drilling Lloyd on the chest) The in traffic stuff will come

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-03-2019, 10:19 PM
I was much more impressed with English’s tap work in the 2nd half, than Trengove, but then I’m a big believer in Tim long term
English was a major factor in our second half. We would be better served playing Trengrove as a big defender allowing Naughton to go forward where he was a great support for Schache today. Gowers was very poor for the second week in a row, as was Suckling. Good to see Naughton and Lloyd kick 6 of our 12 goals providing better options in attack. Richards is a far better defender where he was a fine player last year. Liberatore was again our best player highlighting just how much he has been missed. Wallis becomes a better player when Libba is in the side. It became rediculous today seeing Daniel and Duryrea trying to compete against much taller St Kilda forwards. Morris again played his heart out but needs to be spared playing on taller opponents. Dunkley’s poor disposal continues to be a problem in the midfield and Bailey Williams appeals as a better option. Wood continues to struggle and Maclean is another who needs to do better. The team looks unsettled with little method and understanding which is a concern given our tough games coming up.

Doc26
10-03-2019, 10:19 PM

Completely agree.

I hope that we give Tim every opportunity to develop in the number one ruck position this season with Trengove the backup.

The Pie Man
10-03-2019, 10:21 PM
Completely agree.

I hope that we give Tim every opportunity to develop in the number one ruck position this season with Trengove the backup.

From what I saw, he was too easily out muscled at the contest.

Love what he could be, but he’s just not ready

comrade
10-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Why was Dunkley used as the outlet option when kicking out from the goal square? He should never have the ball inside defensive 50, it's almost a guaranteed loss of possession.

The Underdog
10-03-2019, 10:39 PM
Why was Dunkley used as the outlet option when kicking out from the goal square? He should never have the ball inside defensive 50, it's almost a guaranteed loss of possession.

Not on his own but he’s been poor so far.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Still have some grave concerns about our overall ability to execute basic skills and also spread from the contest. We are both slow and poor by foot - doesn’t bode well for keeping the ball or trying to get it back.

Dunkley is one of the worst I’ve ever seen - he’s got a lot of good attributes but he kills us with his foot skills and it’s really compounded when we have others missing targets. I also never want to see our midfield full of Dunkley, Wallis, Macrae, Libba and Hunter - they’re all slow and as soon as the ball escaoes to the outside we are torched. Bailey Williams really needs to be one of our main mids and I like that he actually carries the ball. Not many of our players do this outside of JJ.

For me, Cordy and Woodnare really shaky. If I were coach, Wood wouldn’t be playing. I watched him closely and his positioning was bloody horrific. He was a liability with the ball too. He’s nowhere near the player he was.

Hayes isn’t up to the standard and Inwosh we had other options other than Trengove. Disappointed with the likes of Schache and Gowers who need to do a lot more.

Positives were Naughton (gun), Libba and Lloyd for his footy smarts and skill. English showed a bit late which was encouraging. Other than that, I saw much of what we have for two years - bad positioning, caught out on turnover, too slow on the spread and poor skills

SonofScray
10-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Most of the 3Q was positive, except that we wasted a few chances. Which is par for the course.

Other than that, we're on a hiding to nothing. In for a long year. If it's going to be a year wasted, the less rational part of me wants to spill tne coaching group and fast forward to the bit where we get an engaged and upbeat group playing to and rallying around a clear type of footy stitched together by the senior coach up for the challenge.

jeemak
11-03-2019, 01:39 AM
How’s it going in Vietnam jeemak? I’m guessing you have an AFL international pass to watch the games.

Not bad thanks Easty,setting in well.

I still have a roaming Australian sim so can get the Foxtel app.....I gave the Telstra and AFL package the flick, didn’t think either deserved my cash...

GVGjr
11-03-2019, 10:28 AM
I think there has been a few questions answered in the lead up to round 1 and also raised some questions

Hayes - despite being in the system at the club for a few years he hasn't quite got the skill level or decision making ye. Perhaps later in the year
Lloyd - we didn't give up much to acquire him but he looks like being a solid selection. He's not a match winner but he can add to the forward line.
Morris - I had my doubts but his form has been good enough. He hasn't shown any indication he's not good enough
Smith - He's certainly worth of the early selection but he needs to be eased into the season.
Williams - Trains with the midfielders, plays as a defender. He's locked for round one
Suckling - Based on the 2 JLT outings he is either a shadow of of his 2018 efforts or he is being played out of position. I suspect it's more likely the latter
Liberatore - He's back and it's a very good version of Liberatore.
Gowers - I had high hopes for him this season but perhaps that shoulder injury has slowed him a bit.
Duryea - It looks good adding a premiership player but given we are going to ply him in an already choc full defensive group it's hard to find a spot for him

Skills - Like other years it was apparently a focus during the preseason and like previous years it's hard to see that it's been time well spent just yet

bornadog
11-03-2019, 01:04 PM
On skills, our issue is executing them under pressure. Got to get better at this or we won’t play finals

westbulldog
11-03-2019, 01:15 PM
On skills, our issue is executing them under pressure. Got to get better at this or we won’t play finals

We won't get anywhere near the 8 based on efforts so far.

GVGjr
11-03-2019, 01:23 PM

But that is what focusing on skills is all about. Executing well under pressure and when Bevo first arriving it was about getting players to kick better with their opposite foot and this year apparently the focus was again on improving our overall skills.
I know it's a small sample size so far but I'm not sure we have made any improvements.

whythelongface
11-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Looking at yesterday's game it does leave some question marks as to our structure. Firstly we seem to be reliant on a 2nd year 19 year old kid being our swingman. This is a big ask as he is still a developing backman. I hope that the coaching team don't expect too much from Naughton. No doubt he is an exceptional talent but let him develop as a backman. Noting that we are bereft of any decent talls up forward (with the exception of Shache).

One thing I did take heart from yesterday was the delivery into the forward line in the 3rd quarter. There seemed to be a more deliberate approach to lowering the eyes and kicking to a lead. This, to me, seems like the approach that we need to adopt, however requires a lot more space than just kicking to a pack. I like the addition of Sam Lloyd in this area (play of the day was the boot lace pass from Smith to Lloyd). We do need a fit and firing Dickson to complement Lloyd. I also believe Bont will play a big role in our forward line this year.

mjp
11-03-2019, 01:43 PM
One thing I did take heart from yesterday was the delivery into the forward line in the 3rd quarter.

This seemed to be a significant focus ALL DAY...a lot of 'over-kicking' early on though, trying to hit the 'perfect' kick. Kicks to forwards don't have to be perfect...all they need is a chance.

I dont really have any issue with our entries for most of the game yesterday - but if you are going to go in 'DEEP' (as we did a lot last week and had to on occasion yesterday - and every team has to do) there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1/. The 'come back to the 9' rule really opens the field up for the opposition if they receive a mark or free kick (which is going to happen when the ball is kicked in high to an outnumbered forward group)...

2/. You had better be switched on behind the ball and make sure there is a structure in place to win the ball back...getting done 'over the top' as the Saints did to us a few times is uncool.

Again, I was encouraged by the game - there was a LOT of experimentation going on. I am a bit surprised at the negative vibes re- Naughton going forward...he did a bit of it last year (when I admit, I didn't really like it) which clearly has him ready to go, jumped at the ball well and kicked a few goals...I would have thought having a 19yo key forward look dangerous is what most people would call a 'GOOD THING'. The roles of Duryea, Suckers, Gowers, Richards etc are still all being worked through. Gowers is clearly being asked to modify his game significantly from what he did last year (started mostly in the cage) to now - high half forward, runner, etc. That isn't easy (and he is battling with it). Richards is trying to play high which is probably good for him long term but he just doesn't look ready to play the role...so clearly still experimenting with line-ups...

I don't know. Saints had a season from hell last year and one thing they have that we don't is experience in their young key position players...they have a positive midfield group and I thought we did well to combat them. The side has copped a fair bit of criticism but has lost 2-games by a combined total of 3-goals and been pretty up and about in terms of effort and commitment around the contest. The handball game clearly seems to be 'back' although the players couldn't quite get the 'when to kick' balance right yesterday...but that will come.

Libber looks good. Williams looks good. Lloyd looks good...so there are 3x big ins from the back end of last year when we were winning games...Positive thoughts.

Looking forward to playing Sydney.

comrade
11-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Like the positivity mjp, but if the Dogs were a stock, I’d be shorting.

While we’re working out the roles of Naugton, Gowers, Suckling, Richards, English, Williams, Daniels et...other teams with more settled line ups will beat us.

bornadog
11-03-2019, 02:31 PM
Schache missed some easy shots yesterday and could have had at least 4 goals. From what I saw he played pretty well, so I think he is a positive from the hitout.

Again I am not too fussed about the two practise matches, I think we did do alot of experimenting, but come round 1 we need to settle players in their right position.

The biggest unknown is will we play Trengove, English, Schache in our 22 - I think we should.

MrMahatma
11-03-2019, 02:58 PM
If you treat yesterday as a training run, then there were signs of improved midfield/forward connections. There were positives in early signs of Smith. Lloyd was handy. Noughton looks very versatile.

Caleb Daniel said in an interview they were treating this “seriously. It’s as big as round 1”. Which clearly isn’t the case.... but....

If it’s a training drill, I got some positivity from it hope those are built on as the line up settles in the season.
If it was a full tilt round one rehearsal, we’re in trouble.

comrade
11-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Schache missed some easy shots yesterday and could have had at least 4 goals. From what I saw he played pretty well, so I think he is a positive from the hitout.

Again I am not too fussed about the two practise matches, I think we did do alot of experimenting, but come round 1 we need to settle players in their right position.

The biggest unknown is will we play Trengove, English, Schache in our 22 - I think we should.

When we had only one active ruckman in the game and they were off, we opted to not even contest the ruck and just let the opposition have a free run at it. I think Trengove & English both have to play, and leave Schache forward 100% of the game.

mjp
11-03-2019, 03:40 PM
When we had only one active ruckman in the game and they were off, we opted to not even contest the ruck and just let the opposition have a free run at it. I think Trengove & English both have to play, and leave Schache forward 100% of the game.

It was weird wasn't it. I just don't see how this is going to work but you could very well be right.

Grantysghost
11-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Realistically I think we are tracking as expected in Bevo's evolution. Off season we lost some experience in Roughead, Dalhaus, Biggs, Redpath and whilst they weren't setting the world on fire I'm sure their influence and leadership around the team is going to leave a void.
My expectations were low on the back of what we brought in, of these I think Lloyd will be a very good pickup and Durea adds some experience and kicking skills . Smith obviously looks a talent.
So our performances so far haven't been far off what I expected tbh. Not enjoyable of course, but that's the reality.

Ghost Dog
11-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Even when we won the flag our kicking skills were a bit edgy. Something that's been dragging us down for a while. Between the ears or skills coaching?

bornadog
11-03-2019, 04:50 PM
But that is what focusing on skills is all about. Executing well under pressure and when Bevo first arriving it was about getting players to kick better with their opposite foot and this year apparently the focus was again on improving our overall skills.
I know it's a small sample size so far but I'm not sure we have made any improvements.

I believe the coach has concentrated on the skills at training, but match conditions are different. Maybe we just overate our players and their skills aren't good enough for AFL level.

GVGjr
11-03-2019, 04:59 PM

I can recall one missed shot, I'll have another look at the replay but he's typically a pretty good kick.

I don't think we have a choice in playing all 3.

bornadog
11-03-2019, 05:03 PM
I can recall one missed shot, I'll have another look at the replay but he's typically a pretty good kick.

I don't think we have a choice in playing all 3.

Missed in the 3rd and one in the last, about 30 metres out

Mantis
11-03-2019, 06:30 PM
I don't know. Saints had a season from hell last year and one thing they have that we don't is experience in their young key position players...they have a positive midfield group and I thought we did well to combat them. The side has copped a fair bit of criticism but has lost 2-games by a combined total of 3-goals and been pretty up and about in terms of effort and commitment around the contest. The handball game clearly seems to be 'back' although the players couldn't quite get the 'when to kick' balance right yesterday...but that will come.

St.Kilda's midfield is vanilla as it comes, especially when their most dynamic mid is in the stands and their KPP's are battlers too, especially when Carlisle isn't playing and McCartin plays 20min.

Whilst it's nice we were competitive, we've played 2 teams that most think will finish bottom 4, and whilst teams often surprise (think Nth last year) it's more likely than not that they're going to battle.

And by and large our effort & commitment has been pretty good over the last couple of years, amongst a few issues it's mainly been our inability to use the ball effectively that's held us back.. from the short sample we've seen so far it looks that little has changed in that area.

Bring on round 1.

boydogs
11-03-2019, 08:41 PM

Schache is the type you can play forward 100% of the time because he gets on his bike, unlike Liam Jones & Tom Boyd. The bigger issue is the effectiveness of the resting ruck

kruder
11-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Two questions

What were people thinking when Naughton lined up in the forward line after being BOG in defence in JLT1?

What were people thinking after seeing Dunkley and co play second ruck once again?

bornadog
11-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Two questions

What were people thinking when Naughton lined up in the forward line after being BOG in defence in JLT1?

What were people thinking after seeing Dunkley and co play second ruck once again?

Didn't care it was a training drill.

Come the season proper, I don't care as long as we win.

mjp
12-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Two questions

What a great time to try it out...

Couldn't actually care...the new rules in impact are like this:
1/. Kick in (well, actually the 50m penalty rule 'cos that is so stupid, but let's set that aside).
2/. 6-6-6
3/. "Come back to the 9' for defensive marks
4/. Hands in the back
5/. Shots on goal after the siren
99999/. Ruck rule

GVGjr
12-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Two questions

It sort of made sense but I wished we had two of him.

I don't like it and still don't but given the way we have cut our ruck options I think we have to get used to it and maybe even accept that Bontempelli might have to as well at a pinch

GVGjr
12-03-2019, 01:11 AM
Didn't care it was a training drill.

Come the season proper, I don't care as long as we win.

If it's just a training drill why do you get so worked up on every rule change?

bornadog
12-03-2019, 01:52 AM
If it's just a training drill why do you get so worked up on every rule change?

I don't understand your question in relation to my answer to Kruder - no questions on rule changes?

GVGjr
12-03-2019, 02:42 AM
I don't understand your question in relation to my answer to Kruder - no questions on rule changes?

You don't care if we win or lose a JLT game as "it's just a training drill" and yet you challenge any rule change in the same games?

ledge
12-03-2019, 09:49 AM
You don't care if we win or lose a JLT game as "it's just a training drill" and yet you challenge any rule change in the same games?

Maybe that’s because these rule changes aren’t just JLT though, they are included in the real season.

hujsh
12-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Yeah sorry I don't follow the logic here either.

GVGjr
12-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Maybe that’s because these rule changes aren’t just JLT though, they are included in the real season.

Thanks my point, if our form shouldn't be judged in the JLT and we should wait until the season starts then shouldn't that also apply to the rule changes as well? Maybe the umpiring are using the JLT to work on the rules as well.

bornadog
12-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Thanks my point, if our form shouldn't be judged in the JLT and we should wait until the season starts then shouldn't that also apply to the rule changes as well? Maybe the umpiring are using the JLT to work on the rules as well.
I have never taken preseason seriously. However the rules are for the season and of course I will challenge them if I don’t like them, they are not just for JLT

GVGjr
12-03-2019, 11:29 AM
I have never taken preseason seriously. However the rules are for the season and of course I will challenge them if I don’t like them, they are not just for JLT

Besides that you used to take preseason losses under B-Mac quiet seriously, I still can't work out why if the "JLT is nothing more than a training drill" surely the umpires and the competition should be given the same scope to use the series to work on the interpretation of the rules? You've dismissed them point blank without even giving them a chance and while I know rules changes are a bugbear of yours if the JLT is just a training drill for clubs then the surely rules also need time to work through with the umpires, teams and the fans.
To me the 6, 6 , 6 worked pretty well on what I saw. I'm not going to shut it down just because it's a change.

bornadog
12-03-2019, 12:27 PM
I never have taken the preseason seriously, under any coach. I didn’t even go to the 2010 grand final.

As for rule changes 6.6.6 does nothing to enhance the game, just makes the umpires job harder.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2019, 12:59 PM
It sort of made sense but I wished we had two of him.

I don't like it and still don't but given the way we have cut our ruck options I think we have to get used to it and maybe even accept that Bontempelli might have to as well at a pinch

I'll be annoyed if we have to do that. Like using your best suit to lift hay bales in.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2019, 01:01 PM
I never have taken the preseason seriously, under any coach. I didn’t even go to the 2010 grand final.

As for rule changes 6.6.6 does nothing to enhance the game, just makes the umpires job harder.

Oh come on. Who didn't smile when the whole crowd was chanting 'We are not worthy' to Barry Hall.
That was a great start to the year.

mjp
12-03-2019, 03:29 PM

You know I love your work BAD but the 666 rule is awesome and 100% makes the game better...further, the umpires don’t really have any more to do now than before.

Scraggers
12-03-2019, 03:51 PM
You know I love your work BAD but the 666 rule is awesome and 100% makes the game better...further, the umpires don’t really have any more to do now than before.

I'm not one for stuffing around with the game (stop changing the damn rules every five minutes), but I'm of the same opinion with this one. The 6/6/6 rule is good.

bornadog
12-03-2019, 05:11 PM

The umpires have to delay the start of each centre bounce and ensure players are in position.

As for enhancing the game, what for 10 seconds. Congestion still happens around the ground if that is what the aim is to reduce it, well as I said it does for 10 seconds?

Believe me this is a precursor for Zones to come in at some stage and then I doubt I will be watching any more. :D

Hotdog60
12-03-2019, 08:05 PM
666 is the devils number maybe it should be 555.:)