PDA

View Full Version : Membership numbers

GVGjr
10-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Reported in the Hun today that our membership numbers are currently at 17,784 and only Melbourne has a smaller membership total.

I'd say the club must be concerned with these numbers as the aim for 30,000 seems a long way off and even cracking last years numbers seems to be a stretch at the moment.

Is this something that we should be concerned about?

Mofra
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Reported in the Hun today that our membership numbers are currently at 17,784 and only Melbourne has a smaller membership total.

I'd say the club must be concerned with these numbers as the aim for 30,000 seems a long way off and even cracking last years numbers seems to be a stretch at the moment.

Is this something that we should be concerned about?
There seems to be a backlog of processing with the Bulldogs - I called up about reserving two seats, and was advised to send an e-mail. No reply after almost two weeks.

The early bird specials (cap, scarf etc,) don't impulse me to sign up earlier simply because last year I got nothing (no cap, scarf, social club medallion etc) and had to complain just to get a card with the correct details sent out.

Hopefully they get the membership situation sorted out soon because some people may give up if they keep having to hassle the club to actually buy a mambership.

Max469
10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Agreed the club would be pretty concerned.

I know that last year a lot of people waited until the season started before renewing or signing up a new membership.

The ones who usually sign up with the Dogs for a "sympathy' membership to help us with revenue, will this year more than likely take that to North - so that will hurt us.

We can only hope we win the early games to give people something to sign up for.

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
I suppose there will be an influx after our NAB cup game against North because it will remind some people that the footy's not to far away. The losses at the end of the season might have provided an out for those that are normally a bit less committed.
A win against North is almost a must. The club should be concerned with those numbers. SEN does a membership drive before the season don't they which offers some additional incentives to join ? That might be worth a few hundred.

Anything less that 27,000 members this year won't be good for us.

Sockeye Salmon
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
The worry is that they seem to have stopped as if shot.

The comparison with last years figures are the best judge and we're 1000 behind. A loss in the NAB cup followed by bad losses to Adelaide and St. Kilda really halted our momentum last year. Hopefully we can win a few early and catch up (plus a few extra).

GVGjr
10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
My concern is how the media will focus on the club relocating if say that we only get 25,000 members. A win against North is becoming almost a must.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
My concern is how the media will focus on the club relocating if say that we only get 25,000 members. A win against North is becoming almost a must.

Our end to the 2nd half of the year coupled with the end of year review was a real momentum killer, and as you say GVGJr, we need a win against the Kangas next week to stop the rot and start pushing the momentum back in the right direction.

DOG GOD
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
It would have to be a concern for sure. Very important to make it thru the nab as far as possible.

Last 7 games last year would not help matters. Not getting to 28,000 members would surely be seen as a failure considering everything the dogs are doing OFF the field re: development of WO etc...

We need to build momentum, and that STARTS with North.

BulldogBelle
10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Last 7 games last year would not help matters. Not getting to 28,000 members would surely be seen as a failure considering everything the dogs are doing OFF the field re: development of WO etc....

Crucial that we kick off in the NAB with a win over North Melbourne - we need to keep the momentum of the memberships ticking over, the recent inuendo and rumours about playing home games interstate need to be cleared up by the club, supposed continual infighting between the heirarchy needs to be addressed & rectified. All of these things have an impact on members in that some get dissolusioned with the club and don't want to sign up.

With regards to membership figures the club always has a safety net of about 300-400 memberships that are not included in the tally and publicised straight away. This is so they can top up the figures when there is a slow day. Our membership department is outsourced to the AFL where they do all membership queries - other clubs eg: North Melb, St Kilda and a few others also do this.

hujsh
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Somehow i doubt that it was a coincidence that they have put us against the Kangaroos. Now we both really want to win

LostDoggy
10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
It would have to be a concern for sure. Very important to make it thru the nab as far as possible.

Last 7 games last year would not help matters. Not getting to 28,000 members would surely be seen as a failure considering everything the dogs are doing OFF the field re: development of WO etc...

We need to build momentum, and that STARTS with North.

I fully agree with this. Two wins (at least) in the NAB would be good for a few reasons.
1 - The money would be handy
2 - It would be good for memberships
3 - It means we would play some more in Melbourne. (I think)

I really want us to do a bit better than 28,000 members and I hope those who are still undecided understand that we need them to keep digging deep for a couple of more seasons.

Bulldog Revolution
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Somehow i doubt that it was a coincidence that they have put us against the Kangaroos. Now we both really want to win

Correcy Hujsh, both teams will be very keen to keep the positive press rolling and so it should be perhaps the most fiercely contested NAB round 1 game, which might be a good thing for our playing group

BulldogBelle
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
We don't win games early = we will struggle for members. Simple as that.

Bulldog Revolution
12-02-2008, 11:43 PM

I've said it in another thread but it seems incredible to me that the game is not on free to air. Its hardly the AFL pushing and promoting its brand is it?

Do you think this is part of punishing North for not doing what the AFL wanted?

Weren't we drawn against Essendon originally?

Only if we win are we presented with an opportunity to impress on Saturday night TV.

The Coon Dog
13-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Only if we win are we presented with an opportunity to impress on Saturday night TV.

We just have to win to make sure we are then televised the following Friday night!

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1894/35230776an1.jpg

Mantis
13-02-2008, 08:43 AM
We just have to win to make sure we are then televised the following Friday night!

If we lose we play next Friday at MC Labour Park against the loser of the Bris/ Ess game.

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 04:32 PM
We would have a very good chance against Brisbane or Essendon - just hope they get over North - but not optimistic:(

Mantis
13-02-2008, 04:36 PM
We would have a very good chance against Brisbane or Essendon - just hope they get over North - but not optimistic:(

Just like last year when they tore us a new arse.

At this time of the year you can't think that. If we play our best team we would be a chance, but if we rest players which you would think we would after a hard slog in the wet then it might just be a game to give the kids a run around.

hujsh
13-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Just like last year when they tore us a new arse.

At this time of the year you can't think that. If we play our best team we would be a chance, but if we rest players which you would think we would after a hard slog in the wet then it might just be a game to give the kids a run around.

I'll assume you're talking about the NAB cup game and not the regular season game

Sockeye Salmon
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
We've actually caught up a fair bit on last year.

We are currently have 22,000 ticketed members compared to 22,582 same time last year.

Last year memberships were up until the end of April (after we got smashed by Adelaide and St. Kilda) and then stopped as if shot. In 2006 the rate stayed fairly steady right up until the cut-off June.

In 2006 we finished with 26,000 and we're more than 4,500 up on that.

If we win a couple of games early we'll break our membership record for sure.

2006 -------- 2007 -------- 2008
17,388 ----- 22,582 ------ 22,000

The Coon Dog
11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
There were only about 200 sold on Sunday. Well down on previous years.

aker39
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM

If we win a couple of games early we'll break our membership record for sure.

With our first 5 games being in Melbourne, it's crucial we get off to a good start.

Adelaide - 50/50
Melbourne - Win
St Kilda - Loss
Essendon - Win
Richmond - Win

A must that we win 3 out of 5, but hopefully 4 out 5.

hujsh
11-03-2008, 03:36 PM
We sold 2500 in a week giving us 23000 or so. It's because i joined

Sockeye Salmon
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM

A couple more weeks like that and we're looking at 30,000+

The Coon Dog
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Why couldn't you be one of quins? :D

Templeton31
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM

my wife is pregnant with twins so I'm doing my bit!!! come May, all things going well, the membership will be up by another two.....:)

(of course after that I wont have time to post on WOOF yet alone watch the footy...:D)

The Coon Dog
11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
my wife is pregnant with twins so I'm doing my bit!!! come May, all things going well, the membership will be up by another two.....:)

(of course after that I wont have time to post on WOOF yet alone watch the footy...:D)
Congratulations T31, hope all goes well for you & your wife!!

hujsh
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM

:confused:
Yes.. quins:rolleyes: whatever they are

ledge
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Well i got my membership today, bit confusing, a cap, a key ring and a lanyard?i think it is.
Said with letter i also got a sticker, a ticket wallet and a blister pack? with which none is in the little box.
Also said i will get my membership and fridge magnet in another letter, guess that means i havent got my membership yet!Could someone fill me in on what a blister pack is? Must say i wasnt expecting any of this, thought we just got a plastic card, so its all a bonus.

ledge
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Where can we check membership, new website just has a little graph thingy but no actual figures and also it hasnt changed since last monday.Or am i just missing where it says figures?

hujsh
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Well i got my membership today, bit confusing, a cap, a key ring and a lanyard?i think it is.
Said with letter i also got a sticker, a ticket wallet and a blister pack? with which none is in the little box.
Also said i will get my membership and fridge magnet in another letter, guess that means i havent got my membership yet!Could someone fill me in on what a blister pack is? Must say i wasnt expecting any of this, thought we just got a plastic card, so its all a bonus.

I got that 2

The Coon Dog
11-03-2008, 08:32 PM

Blister pack I guess is a flashy way of saying some stickers.

BulldogBelle
11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
A couple more weeks like that and we're looking at 30,000+

Spoke to the Membership department today, they sold approx 500 Memberships at the family day and phones have been running hot today. So let's hope the momentum keeps up.

GVGjr
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Spoke to the Membership department today, they sold approx 500 Memberships at the family day and phones have been running hot today. So let's hope the momentum keeps up.

Has SEN had their Bulldog membership day yet? I seem to recall the results weren't great but a couple of hundred more all always help.

Early wins are vital

hujsh
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM

:confused:
Yes.. quins:rolleyes: whatever they are

Oh do you mean quintuplets...ah:D

hujsh
11-03-2008, 10:40 PM
So with 24,000 almost were pretty solid you would say.

GVGjr
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM

I think the club will be annoyed if they don't get 30,000 by the cut off.

BulldogBelle
11-03-2008, 10:47 PM

As GVG wrote.. the club wouldn't be satisfied with under 30,000, we need to keep building that total and cement it with each passing year. It would be a major dissapointment to the club if we didn't pass last years total.

hujsh
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Geez...pretty hard to improve on last year with the way we finished.

I personally thought that 26,000 would be an excellent figure

LostDoggy
07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Seems as though we are doing well so far with our membership, up by 10% from last year.

Mitcha
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Membership update as of Tuesday 5th January from board outside Bulldogs Central 18,408.

ledge
12-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Up to 22000 now is this the best we have had at this time of year?

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Up to 22000 now is this the best we have had at this time of year?

That's fantastic!! :)

Sockeye Salmon
14-02-2011, 12:03 PM
That's fantastic!! :)

It was a question rather than a statement.

How does 22,000 compare to this time last year?

Edit: I'll answer my own question.

Latest website update:

Gameday 22203
Total 23901.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 12:07 PM
It was a question rather than a statement.
How does 22,000 compare to this time last year?

Sorry, I meant that the 22,000 was fantastic, just my initial reaction. :)

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Yes, I thought Smorgan said on Saturday at the practice match that we were just marginally down on numbers as at the same time last year! I swim each morning and one of the guys in the spa is a Bulldog supporter and told me this morning that he wasn't buying a membership this year as he was unhappy at what the club did with Aker! I'm doing my best to convince him that this is no reason to not re-sign this year - I'll keep at it!

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Yes, I thought Smorgan said on Saturday at the practice match that we were just marginally down on numbers as at the same time last year! I swim each morning and one of the guys in the spa is a Bulldog supporter and told me this morning that he wasn't buying a membership this year as he was unhappy at what the club did with Aker! I'm doing my best to convince him that this is no reason to not re-sign this year - I'll keep at it!

Hold his head under water for a few hours

KT31
15-02-2011, 10:44 AM

Hang him upside down from the high board and get him to agree to by a membership.
Then drop him and tell him we are better off without tossers who can't see how well the club has progressed in the last few years.:mad:

comay
15-02-2011, 11:56 AM

some people are funny, for me I supporting the club not individual player, just got myself a Dog Cather pack, hope I can get more supporter for WB

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:53 PM

It's probably the only thing they remember reading about from the comfort of their couch last season.

FWIW i've signed up to new members this season. One's a bitch and one's a puppy.

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it! Not sure about using force (he is in his early 70's), but I do like the argument that I support the club, and not one particular player! I will be in his ear every morning and perhaps I will pick up a Dog Catcher pack as well to assist!

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys - I really appreciate it! Not sure about using force (he is in his early 70's), but I do like the argument that I support the club, and not one particular player! I will be in his ear every morning and perhaps I will pick up a Dog Catcher pack as well to assist!

That makes it more sad that he is in his 70's due to the fact he is probably a long time fan.

Stevo
19-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Still a few hundred down on last year. Might struggle to get within a 1,000 on last year

hujsh
19-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Still a few hundred down on last year. Might struggle to get within a 1,000 on last year

It seems we are up on last year actually

In short, at this time last year it was:
11/02/10 21504 (09/02/11 is - 22,112)
18/02/10 22203 (14/02/11 is - 22,503)

ledge
19-02-2011, 02:53 PM

But we have had 2 events cancelled this year remember, thus 2 events people might have planned to buy membership.

Doggy
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Found a novel way to increase our membership this year. Today I made a bet with a mate at work on the outcome of our first game against Essendon. When we win he has to buy a Bulldog membership, IF by chance they beat us I have to buy one of theirs, which I will then onsale at a discounted price to another mate.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Found a novel way to increase our membership this year. Today I made a bet with a mate at work on the outcome of our first game against Essendon. When we win he has to buy a Bulldog membership, IF by chance they beat us I have to buy one of theirs, which I will then onsale at a discounted price to another mate.

Great Idea!

The Adelaide Connection
03-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Brilliant! I think I am going to have to get on that.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
The 30,000 Challenge

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/108743/default.aspx

Club wants everyone to rally new and past members with a target of 30,000 by round 1, 38000 for the year.

Even offering the "25,000th Member" being presented with a guernsey by a club champion :rolleyes:

KT31
04-03-2011, 12:18 AM
The 30,000 Challenge

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/108743/default.aspx

Club wants everyone to rally new and past members with a target of 30,000 by round 1, 38000 for the year.

Even offering the "25,000th Member" being presented with a guernsey by a club champion :rolleyes:

This strategy always rubs me the wrong way.:mad:
Because they wait or are undecided they are rewarded.
It should go into the draw for Bulldogs for Life or for early signed up members.
Better still why not give every ten year continious member a bloody jumper ?

chef
04-03-2011, 07:27 AM
The 30,000 Challenge

:)

What number are we up to?

I've been waiting until I move house(about a week to go) before getting my and my sons memberships.

NoseBleed
04-03-2011, 07:29 AM
http://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/

Currently unreachable from iprimus.

The Coon Dog
04-03-2011, 09:04 AM
This strategy always rubs me the wrong way.:mad:
Because they wait or are undecided they are rewarded.
It should go into the draw for Bulldogs for Life or for early signed up members.
Better still why not give every ten year continious member a bloody jumper ?

I'm with you KT, sends out the wrong message in my view.

Hotdog60
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
I haven't even got my mug for becoming a bulldog for life this year.:eek:

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/images_bulldogs/clubcorner_top.jpg

The Adelaide Connection
07-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't usually like when the media pumps us up but without the momentum and excitement of the Nab cup win and Bazzas super impressive debuts I hope they continue to talk us up as being in the top 2. Hopefully that hype will help drive the numbers up.

Desipura
07-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't usually like when the media pumps us up but without the momentum and excitement of the Nab cup win and Bazzas super impressive debuts I hope they continue to talk us up as being in the top 2. Hopefully that hype will help drive the numbers up.

Instead they are talking up the Bombers and guess who plays them round 1?

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Instead they are talking up the Bombers and guess who plays them round 1?

so lets hope they win the nab.cup, then we come out and smash em'

Desipura
07-03-2011, 12:27 PM
so lets hope they win the nab.cup, then we come out and smash em'

Similar to what the pies did to us last season.

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 12:40 PM
The numbers are a bit low aren't they?( If we wanna crack 35k) .
All the regulars sign up straight away making the numbers look good initially , its that last 10k seems can be a real struggle.

Cyberdoggie
07-03-2011, 12:52 PM
All the regulars sign up straight away making the numbers look good initially , its that last 10k seems can be a real struggle.

I guess there is the bulldog for lifers where their memberships automatically roll over,
then there is a small portion of members who like to pay in one sum, and then there's the one's who will sign up depending on if they think we will win a premiership etc.

I guess without Aker, Johnno, Eagleton, Harbrow some people may think that we are going to fall this year, but i'm sure all of us here think otherwise because we know the depth of the squad is better than ever.

G-Mo77
07-03-2011, 01:00 PM

I think they are.

I'm guessing we'll finish around the same number as last year.

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I guess without Aker, Johnno, Eagleton, Harbrow some people may think that we are going to fall this year, but i'm sure all of us here think otherwise because we know the depth of the squad is better than ever.

I don't think any bulldog supporter/member worthy of their self proclaimed status could believe our list is worse than last year.

What we lack in experience this year we more than make up for in ability and application.

The Adelaide Connection
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
I don't think any bulldog supporter/member worthy of their self proclaimed status could believe our list is worse than last year.

What we lack in experience this year we more than make up for in ability and application.

...and a much needed injection of speed.

strebla
08-03-2011, 02:26 AM
...and a much needed injection of speed.

^^^^^^^^^^^
what he said x 2

aker39
17-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I read today that Collingwood have 60,000 members, and 12,000 members from last year have not yet signed up.

How do we compete with that?

Mofra
17-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I read today that Collingwood have 60,000 members, and 12,000 members from last year have not yet signed up.

How do we compete with that?
A strong campaign against suspended sentences ;)

Sockeye Salmon
17-03-2011, 11:08 AM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/images_bulldogs/clubcorner_top.jpg

As compared to last year:

Game Day - 26,771
Total - 29,009

as at 17/03/10

comrade
17-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Smorgo announced that we had signed member number 26,000 last night and awarded the lucky gentleman a new jumper and a voucher to Bulldog Central (I'm sure The Coon Dog will love to hear that ;)). He was actually sitting on our table and was a nice guy who had bought the membership for his son who was currently in hospital.

Apparently we've budgeted for 38,000 members for season 2011. I think they've underestimated the Nab Cup factor.

The Coon Dog
17-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Smorgo announced that we had signed member number 26,000 last night and awarded the lucky gentleman a new jumper and a voucher to Bulldog Central (I'm sure The Coon Dog will love to hear that ;)). He was actually sitting on our table and was a nice guy who had bought the membership for his son who was currently in hospital.

Apparently we've budgeted for 38,000 members for season 2011. I think they've underestimated the Nab Cup factor.
You're right comrade, I'm thrilled...NOT!

I hate this rewarding those who sign up later, reward those who sign up year in year out in October if anyone, but just because some signs up on the cusp of the season or in June, it to me sends out the wrong message.

Maddog37
17-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I do agree Coon Dog but they know we will sign up if we have to donate blood to raise the cash!!

They have to make it appealing for hesitant people or the swinging voter type members will not sign up. I always take pride in the fact that I do not need any insentive other than my love for the club.

Good luck to the winners of these prizes and hopefully it means they and their families are no longer a hesitant type and become Dogs for life as a result of it.

Edit: I know that first sentence is a tad silly but you get my point.

aker39
17-03-2011, 12:12 PM

I hate this rewarding those who sign up later, reward those who sign up year in year out in October if anyone, but just because some signs up on the cusp of the season or in June, it to me sends out the wrong message.

I agree TCD, and it can be easily fixed.

Everytime they have a prize for new members, they should have a draw for the same prize for members that have already signed up.

LostDoggy
17-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah what a load of rubbish. The only "reward", if any should be for those members who automatically rollover their m/ships or pay in full by a certain date.

Amazes me that for little more than 3 or 4 dollars per week, indivually, for an 11 game m/ship, we stuggle to get more than 30k members - in a club that has been around for 3 or 4 generations.

If you can't afford 4 dollars a week and you're a football supporter you've got major problems.

The Coon Dog
17-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Can I just clarify one thing, I'd rather not have any such rewards at all to be honest.

comrade
17-03-2011, 12:42 PM

It's this mentality that has screwed Australian retailers with their mass discounting.

If we keep going down this path, fickle supporters will continue to hold off in the hope they'll get an incentive to sign up later.

Dazza
17-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I tend to sign up round 1 of the season proper if it's in Melbourne. Just a tradition I have going.

Will there be places to donate a small amount of money to the bulldoze the debt fund at the membership tents this year? I could see myself coming to the ground after a few pre drinks and being pretty generous each game.

Chicago1
17-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I tend to sign up round 1 of the season proper if it's in Melbourne. Just a tradition I have going.
I also like signing up in person when I'm in Melbourne. After doing it that way for 23 years, I looked forward to keeping that tradition for my five previous visits. And I will continue that tradition next Wednesday at the club when I renew in person yet again. The five years that I've renewed online just haven't been the same.

I have my renewal card already packed and ready to go. I presume it becomes active on payment at Bulldogs Central? Last year I had to use the address where I was staying in East Keilor so they'd send my card to me there since I was in Melbourne for the first three rounds. I then had to change my address details online to my Chicago address when I got back.

I'll be at training next week if it's on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm planning on going to the Carlton vs. Richmond match at the MCG Thursday evening. I've been to the first match the past two years and I've seen Richmond lose a total of five times during my visits. :p It's that damn Collingwood that's the problem. They're the only team I've seen us lose to(twice). This will be my first time seeing us play Essendon since 1999.:eek:

gohardorgohome
17-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I agree with Chicago. I used to always get my social club membership on the first game of the year.

Now you need to be a member early in order to ensure that you don't miss out. I much prefer to sign up at the first game.

Hotdog60
17-03-2011, 08:39 PM
They should reward the member who becomes a Bulldog for life and will never see a game unless it was on TV..:D:D:D:D

KT31
18-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Can I just clarify one thing, I'd rather not have any such rewards at all to be honest.

Agree TCD, a Grand final seat and a premiership would make just reward.

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Hey hey. Us people who renewed in October got a reward. We got a MUG!
Winning!

The Adelaide Connection
18-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Winning!

Which was better quality than what I expected from all the grumbles about it :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I also like signing up in person when I'm in Melbourne. After doing it that way for 23 years, I looked forward to keeping that tradition for my five previous visits. And I will continue that tradition next Wednesday at the club when I renew in person yet again. The five years that I've renewed online just haven't been the same.

I have my renewal card already packed and ready to go. I presume it becomes active on payment at Bulldogs Central? Last year I had to use the address where I was staying in East Keilor so they'd send my card to me there since I was in Melbourne for the first three rounds. I then had to change my address details online to my Chicago address when I got back.

I'll be at training next week if it's on Wednesday or Thursday. I'm planning on going to the Carlton vs. Richmond match at the MCG Thursday evening. I've been to the first match the past two years and I've seen Richmond lose a total of five times during my visits. :p It's that damn Collingwood that's the problem. They're the only team I've seen us lose to(twice). This will be my first time seeing us play Essendon since 1999.:eek:

Chicago1 - are you coming just to see the footy? If that is your primary reason, you have my admiration for dedication to this footy club of ours! That's a lot of miles to travel to a game! Hope the boys can pull a win against Essendon - should be a great game. I might pop down to training next week, and if I hear your voice (should know it after hearing it on the radio!) I'll make myself known to you... have a safe trip over:)

Hotdog60
18-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Winning!

Did mine but still no mug, only the one I brought with name and number on it. I got everything else though, maybe it was admired so much by my postie he keep it. The poor soul's up here are so rugby brain wash he must have thougt it was the holy grail and couldn't part with it.:D

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 10:52 AM
It irks me that we need rewards to get members. It's a very “what's in it for me?” mentality that we shouldn't encourage.

HOWEVER, a quick look at rival clubs would give some great ideas. Hawthorn embroider on your member scarf each year, the number of consecutive years you've been a member. My mate, an American Hawks supporter, quotes this as the primary reason to sign up each and every year. He wasn't raised Hawthorn, has only been in country nine or ten years, but has been a member each and every year. Why? Because he doesn't want to go back to “1” on his scarf.

In 2009, Jeff Kennett personally signed 50,000 letters to every member. It's gestures like these that also make a member feel welcome, feel part of the club. It's the one fault I have with Smorgon and co, is that they lay a lot of blame on members, and are hesitant to just thank the legions of die-hard Bulldogs that have waited 57 years, and we all know we'd wait another 57 if we absolutely had to, this kind of thing should be shouted from the rooftops, celebrate your passion, because passion is contagious.

Cheap trinkets from China are not so contagious. :) (ps, I do love my personalised mug)

With us trying to get funds together to Bulldoze The Debt, there are HEAPS of ways they can get new members onboard without breaking the bank. As an organisation, a business, the members are the customers. Customer service will always reign supreme. Get this mantra going down at WO and we may just see the end of cheap novelty incentives.

Chicago1
18-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Chicago1 - are you coming just to see the footy? If that is your primary reason, you have my admiration for dedication to this footy club of ours! That's a lot of miles to travel to a game! Hope the boys can pull a win against Essendon - should be a great game. I might pop down to training next week, and if I hear your voice (should know it after hearing it on the radio!) I'll make myself known to you... have a safe trip over:)

That's one of the main reasons for the visit and to keep my sanity, well, OK, I admit I'm also coming for fish 'n chips, capriciossa pizza, Chicken Twisties, Ferguson Plarre chocolate eclairs... better stop. I really miss the footy and, of course, my friends.This is actually the trip I had booked for our Grand Final appearance last year :( I'm now planning on getting a United Airlines credit card and then use the miles I earn from getting it to book again for September. It just has to happen someday, doesn't it?

I'll be wearing my Chicago Cubs cap to training just in case you don't hear me. I'll try to get down there every week for the three weeks I'm in Melbourne. I'll be down in Aisle 19 Row A at Docklands for the Essendon match. As usual I'll be wearing my Cubs cap and my twenty year old scarf(which has never been washed), complete with coffee stains. You should be able to smell me from anywhere in the stadium. :p

Only three more sleeps...

ReLoad
18-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Great stuff Jim, I hope to catch up with you at training, would be good to see you on this side of the planet :)

Speaking of which ill try get us Cubbies tickets again when im back in Chi-Town in June.

Woof woof, I have a good feeling about this year!

strebla
18-03-2011, 03:21 PM
It irks me that we need rewards to get members. It's a very “what's in it for me?” mentality that we shouldn't encourage.

HOWEVER, a quick look at rival clubs would give some great ideas. Hawthorn embroider on your member scarf each year, the number of consecutive years you've been a member. My mate, an American Hawks supporter, quotes this as the primary reason to sign up each and every year. He wasn't raised Hawthorn, has only been in country nine or ten years, but has been a member each and every year. Why? Because he doesn't want to go back to “1” on his scarf.

In 2009, Jeff Kennett personally signed 50,000 letters to every member. It's gestures like these that also make a member feel welcome, feel part of the club. It's the one fault I have with Smorgon and co, is that they lay a lot of blame on members, and are hesitant to just thank the legions of die-hard Bulldogs that have waited 57 years, and we all know we'd wait another 57 if we absolutely had to, this kind of thing should be shouted from the rooftops, celebrate your passion, because passion is contagious.

Cheap trinkets from China are not so contagious. :) (ps, I do love my personalised mug)

With us trying to get funds together to Bulldoze The Debt, there are HEAPS of ways they can get new members onboard without breaking the bank. As an organisation, a business, the members are the customers. Customer service will always reign supreme. Get this mantra going down at WO and we may just see the end of cheap novelty incentives.

Any-one who knows me knows I am no Jeff fan but a workmate of mine is a hawks supporter crossed paths with Jeff and Jeff saw his membership medalion and took his details to invite him to the presidents lunch which he did much to the pleasure of my workmate. He was always going to be a hawk for life but little things like this for ordinary grass roots members mean the world to some for me my reward is sitting in the outer and loving my team who are part of who I am i need no trinket no fanfare just the knowledge that each and every year they will be there if that means we play silly games to get members so be it. Whatever has to be done do it and keep OUR team going for generations to follow

Chicago1
18-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Great stuff Jim, I hope to catch up with you at training, would be good to see you on this side of the planet :)

Speaking of which ill try get us Cubbies tickets again when im back in Chi-Town in June.

Woof woof, I have a good feeling about this year!

Hey Ryan, It'll be great to see you again. And don't worry about the Cubs tickets. Sales are very slow - the worst for many years, except for the Yankees June 17-19 - all three games are sold out. There are even single tickets left for the White Sox series in July, almost unheard of the past six years or so. I'll be happy if the Cubs finish ahead of the Pirates this year!:(

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 05:56 PM
That's one of the main reasons for the visit and to keep my sanity, well, OK, I admit I'm also coming for fish 'n chips, capriciossa pizza, Chicken Twisties, Ferguson Plarre chocolate eclairs... better stop. I really miss the footy and, of course, my friends.This is actually the trip I had booked for our Grand Final appearance last year :( I'm now planning on getting a United Airlines credit card and then use the miles I earn from getting it to book again for September. It just has to happen someday, doesn't it?

I'll be wearing my Chicago Cubs cap to training just in case you don't hear me. I'll try to get down there every week for the three weeks I'm in Melbourne. I'll be down in Aisle 19 Row A at Docklands for the Essendon match. As usual I'll be wearing my Cubs cap and my twenty year old scarf(which has never been washed), complete with coffee stains. You should be able to smell me from anywhere in the stadium. :p

Only three more sleeps...

Hopefully we can touch base - I look forward to it! Can't wait to smell...oops, I mean see your scarf!

LostDoggy
19-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I too agree with TCD, Why should you get an incentive for being the 26,000th to sign up?

Honestly, we shouldn't expect anything. I'd rather not receive my cheap hat (which never gets worn)

I like Hawthorn's idea of placing years of continuous membership on the scarf, but I know the Dogs admin weren't too good at keeping hold of our records.

I think we may struggle to get the number of members the club is aiming for. Unless of course we start off the season playing amazing footy and the bandwagon begins to roll

LostDoggy
19-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I too agree with TCD, Why should you get an incentive for being the 26,000th to sign up?

Honestly, we shouldn't expect anything. I'd rather not receive my cheap hat (which never gets worn)

I like Hawthorn's idea of placing years of continuous membership on the scarf, but I know the Dogs admin weren't too good at keeping hold of our records.

I think we may struggle to get the number of members the club is aiming for. Unless of course we start off the season playing amazing footy and the bandwagon begins to roll
I thought the club may have planned the scarf with years of membership as well, they asked us to advise our years of membership last year.

LostDoggy
19-03-2011, 07:50 PM
I still haven't received my membership pack with my social club membership scarf. I renewed in January. I guess I have to call the club on Monday. Membership departments seem to be so inept.

Doggy
19-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I still haven't received my membership pack with my social club membership scarf. I renewed in January. I guess I have to call the club on Monday. Membership departments seem to be so inept.

I bought two memberships in early Jan, still have not got packs.

bornadog
20-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I bought two memberships in early Jan, still have not got packs.

Give the membership hotline a call, they are good at sorting these things out.

LostDoggy
20-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I thought the club may have planned the scarf with years of membership as well, they asked us to advise our years of membership last year.

I thought the club was up to something with this also

But so far, I've seen/heard nothing.

In regards to people not receiving packs. My son and myself never received our BFL mug, so I rang the club and they happily re-ordered them for us. They are always great when stuff like this happens

The Adelaide Connection
20-03-2011, 04:52 PM
I thought the club was up to something with this also

But so far, I've seen/heard nothing.

In regards to people not receiving packs. My son and myself never received our BFL mug, so I rang the club and they happily re-ordered them for us. They are always great when stuff like this happens

I think the membership department gets a fair bit of undeserved heat on here sometimes. I am all for constructive feedback that might give them ideas on how to do things better, but people need to put into perspective that we are talking about 35,000 odd orders before they whinge and complain (and perhaps give them a call like Fitzwah did and allow them to try to rectify the problem first).

If 95% of orders are perfect that would still mean about 1750 people with problems.

LostDoggy
20-03-2011, 07:08 PM
The membership stuff is done by an external company that handles many teams, not just ours.

Chicago1
21-03-2011, 04:32 AM
Just about to head off to O'Hare Field to catch my flight to LAX and then to Sydney and finally Melbourne. See you at training later in the week! And, of course, see you at the footy next Sunday! Go Doggies! Will someone let the Prime Minister know that I'll be at the match in case she goes? :p

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Just about to head off to O'Hare Field to catch my flight to LAX and then to Sydney and finally Melbourne. See you at training later in the week! And, of course, see you at the footy next Sunday! Go Doggies! Will someone let the Prime Minister know that I'll be at the match in case she goes? :p

Chicago I'll try to let her know, but as she knows I didn't Vote for her, she doesn't take much notice of me. I'll be at training on Thurs / Frid Whatever it is this week, probably go both days for brekkie and a cuppa at the pound so hopefully we can catch up.
I'll just listen out for a WOOF in a Yankee accent ;)

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Oh yeah, back to the thread.
Received 3 incorrect membership packs, all now been corrected. Still waiting on Sponsors tkts to arrive. Won't be a happy chappy if I can't get into 1st home game or into sponsors room :mad:

BulldogBelle
24-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Membership is now at 26,989.

28,000 th member signed will be presented with a signed no. 28 guernsey. Good call by the club to introduce these incentives.

See Here....

Challenge 30k (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/109789/default.aspx)

bornadog
24-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Membership is now at 26,989.

28,000 th member signed will be presented with a signed no. 28 guernsey. Good call by the club to introduce these incentives.

See Here....

Challenge 30k (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/109789/default.aspx)

We only have a few days to pick up 3000 members to reach 30,000 target for round 1.

As usual we have the fickled bunch who will wait and see how we perform before they buy a membership ticket.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2011, 12:03 PM
As usual we have the fickled bunch who will wait and see how we perform before they buy a membership ticket.

A lot also wait till Round 1 to purchase memberships at the ground, those membership tents will be chockers - I volunteered one year and was amazed how many people bought memberships before walking into the stadium for Round 1 game.

Each and everyone to their own I guess, football is a business, so whatever initiatives or marketing ploys they use to try and boost those figures is all good. I have a good friend who once was the marketing manager for the Essendon Football Club and I remember he used to tell me that he constantly had to come up with new ideas to keep pushing the Bomber brand - some ideas worked some didn't but he would leave no stone unturned. Must say, I got to see a few Bomber Grand Finals for free.

Personally, I buy my membships as soon as they're available - pay them up front and it's all done and dusted.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 12:13 PM
A lot also wait till Round 1 to purchase memberships at the ground, those membership tents will be chockers - I volunteered one year and was amazed how many people bought memberships before walking into the stadium for Round 1 game.

Each and everyone to their own I guess, football is a business, so whatever initiatives or marketing ploys they use to try and boost those figures is all good. I have a good friend who once was the marketing manager for the Essendon Football Club and I remember he used to tell me that he constantly had to come up with new ideas to keep pushing the Bomber brand - some ideas worked some didn't but he would leave no stone unturned. Must say, I got to see a few Bomber Grand Finals for free.

Personally, I buy my membships as soon as they're available - pay them up front and it's all done and dusted.
I used to do a lot of voluntary membership work, my one condition was anything during the week but not on a footy day. One year I got roped in and helped in the tent on gameday, once again my one condition was I will not miss the footy for anything. I felt so guilty leaving as the game started when there were still hundreds buying tickets. A lot of people do it that way because they always have, and it is a tradition.

Chicago1
24-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Signed up yesterday for my 34th year of membership. Met up with Griffen Magic at Whitten and had a nice chat with Daniel Cross. Looking forward to going to tonight's Carlton/Richmond opener and see Richmond lose for the 6th time in a row! I'm at Highpoint now-my easiest computer access. Hope to see some of you at training tomorrow and/or at Sunday's match. Hey,I don't mind today's rain.It's a hell of a lot better than snow! My face is sunburnt from the time at training yesterday! I forgot the sunblock!

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Signed up yesterday for my 34th year of membership. Met up with Griffen Magic at Whitten and had a nice chat with Daniel Cross. Looking forward to going to tonight's Carlton/Richmond opener and see Richmond lose for the 6th time in a row! I'm at Highpoint now-my easiest computer access. Hope to see some of you at training tomorrow and/or at Sunday's match. Hey,I don't mind today's rain.It's a hell of a lot better than snow! My face is sunburnt from the time at training yesterday! I forgot the sunblock!

Welcome home Chicago1!! Glad to have you on board for your 34th year. It's a shame you weren't the 28,000th member, I think for coming all this was you deserve the no. 28 guernsey!! ;)

Hope you have a great stay & enjoy all the footy, especially on Sunday!! GO DOGS!! :)

LostDoggy
02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
The membership stuff is done by an external company that handles many teams, not just ours.

Just wanting to get some advice. I ordered my social club membership a good couple of months ago and completely forgot about it until my pack arrived yesterday. Opened the pack and got all the scarf, tag and other stuff (which I never use), but no access card. I've tried calling the club this morning, but as it is saturday morning it is out of hours. Does this mean I miss out tomorrow (or will I have to contribute further to Mr.Collins' pension fund by buying another ticket)? I'm really dissapointed and although it won't stop me signing up next year I fear this sort of thing could tip some other supporter over the edge so that they elect to not renew next year..

I realise I've left it late, but I don't think it should be the responsibility of the member to chase up their tickets

In any case does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do? Is it worth just turning up to the membership tent tomorrow and pleading my case. If its not I will just go to local pub to watch, but doesn't help crowd numbers / support...

The Coon Dog
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Is it worth just turning up to the membership tent tomorrow and pleading my case.

Yep, they'll be very accommodating.

Mofra
02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Yep, they'll be very accommodating.
There was one year I was given a paper ticket because my card wasn't ready.
Our membership area does seem to be pretty good in this regard.

ledge
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Take your receipt to prove you have paid for it

LostDoggy
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Just wanting to get some advice. I ordered my social club membership a good couple of months ago and completely forgot about it until my pack arrived yesterday. Opened the pack and got all the scarf, tag and other stuff (which I never use), but no access card. I've tried calling the club this morning, but as it is saturday morning it is out of hours. Does this mean I miss out tomorrow (or will I have to contribute further to Mr.Collins' pension fund by buying another ticket)? I'm really dissapointed and although it won't stop me signing up next year I fear this sort of thing could tip some other supporter over the edge so that they elect to not renew next year..

I realise I've left it late, but I don't think it should be the responsibility of the member to chase up their tickets

In any case does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do? Is it worth just turning up to the membership tent tomorrow and pleading my case. If its not I will just go to local pub to watch, but doesn't help crowd numbers / support...
The membership tickets came seperate from the other pack, in case you didn't realise your normal membership ticket is your social club ticket.

Mantis
02-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Even at their very busiest they struggle to get 1000 signing up on game day.

LostDoggy
03-04-2011, 06:23 PM
The membership tickets came seperate from the other pack, in case you didn't realise your normal membership ticket is your social club ticket.

thanks all for the suggestions. All got sorted at the membership tent - they were really good about, so no complaints from my end.. Good day all in all!

cheers

Bumper Bulldogs
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Just a quick one, as we are struggling for memberships, i thought it was strange that the membership tent was closed after the game.

Would it have been an opportunity to perhaps get a few who got to the game late or pick up a few fickle types that would part with some cash after a big win?

AndrewP6
03-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Just a quick one, as we are struggling for memberships, i thought it was strange that the membership tent was closed after the game.

Would it have been an opportunity to perhaps get a few who got to the game late or pick up a few fickle types that would part with some cash after a big win?

I saw one open, round near Gate 7.

GVGjr
03-04-2011, 10:00 PM

No value in keeping it open. If people were prepared to pay to watch the game they wouldn't necessarily stick around to join up afterwards. They already had the chance of joining up prior to the game.

LostDoggy
03-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I got my cousin some tickets up on level 2 for todays game(hes a member, but his wife and kids arnt) after they game they had a chat and have decided to get a family membership tomorrow.... yay more members... really hope we get to 30,000 members by next weeks game....

EasternWest
03-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I got my cousin some tickets up on level 2 for todays game(hes a member, but his wife and kids arnt) after they game they had a chat and have decided to get a family membership tomorrow.... yay more members... really hope we get to 30,000 members by next weeks game....

Good work by you m27. And them too.

LostDoggy
05-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think we have a chance of getting anywhere near last years membership figure now. It's annoying how fickle some supporters can be.

All my membership gear came yesterday! FINALLY! Now I can wear my 2011 Social Club scarf!

LostDoggy
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't think we have a chance of getting anywhere near last years membership figure now. It's annoying how fickle some supporters can be.

All my membership gear came yesterday! FINALLY! Now I can wear my 2011 Social Club scarf!

Maybe if we beat Freo and Collingwood (big if i know) we might reach our target

G-Mo77
05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Maybe if we beat Freo and Collingwood (big if i know) we might reach our target

I really think that is the only way. We'll be very lucky to get 30K otherwise.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2011, 06:46 PM
The club would be extremely disappointed with the numbers.

Top four three years in a row, and still with a chance in 2011 to make (and win) a Grand Final. What more do you want?

Hate to see our figures if we finish in the bottom half again anytime soon.

G-Mo77
05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
The club would be extremely disappointed with the numbers.

Top four three years in a row, and still with a chance in 2011 to make (and win) a Grand Final. What more do you want?

Hate to see our figures if we finish in the bottom half again anytime soon.

The only good news out of it is that our reserved area is almost full and I believe our Social Club is almost at capacity.

Mantis
05-04-2011, 07:14 PM
The only good news out of it is that our reserved area is almost full and I believe our Social Club is almost at capacity.

The actual number of members isn't as important as the revenue we gain so these 2 points should mean that we aren't too far away from last years figures.

Ghost Dog
05-04-2011, 10:10 PM
The actual number of members isn't as important as the revenue we gain so these 2 points should mean that we aren't too far away from last years figures.

Hmmmm
Members are not as important as their money??
That could be a rather a short term view.

Not all who are on the base membership will always be lacking money.
Someday they may come into money, and up their membership / get more involved.
The club needs to value all its supporters big and small and hang on to them.

IMO The number of members IS important because it's a club and the social aspect of sport means the more the merrier. Clubs and their players benefit greatly from bodies turning up to the ground, become involved in events and use their voice. According to the above, a few 'white knights' would be just as good as a greater number of lesser supporters. Not sure about that.

By the way, anyone see the vision of Port trying to cover up the gaping holes in their crowd with plastic banners? not a good look. North and Port have failed to appeal to a wider audience and are paying the price. Small fish and big fish make for a healthy 'ecosystem' IMO.

Mantis
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
By the way, anyone see the vision of Port trying to cover up the gaping holes in their crowd with plastic banners? not a good look. North and Port have failed to appeal to a wider audience and are paying the price. Small fish and big fish make for a healthy 'ecosystem' IMO.

Port introduced these banners at the beginning of the 2010 season.

AndrewP6
05-04-2011, 10:43 PM

Yep, as mentioned, they did it last year. IIRC, some SANFL teams also do it. I understand the logic, but to me, it draws even more attention to the fact that people aren't watching the games.

The Coon Dog
05-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Hmmmm
Members are not as important as their money??

IMO The number of members IS important

I'm with Mantis on this.

Membership numbers seem to be banged on about in the press/websites etc... as though they are the be all & end all.

At the end of the day it's net yield that is more important.

Say one team had 30,000 members made up of 15,000 adults, 5,000 concession & 10,000 children as opposed to another teams 28,000 members made up if 19,000 adults, 3,000 concession & 6,000 children.

The club with less members will actually generate more dollars due to the mix, then you have to factor in add ons such as seating, social club, coteries etc...

A club like Hawthorn might just have 45,000 members (consisting of 110,000 legs!).

LostDoggy
06-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm with Mantis on this.

Membership numbers seem to be banged on about in the press/websites etc... as though they are the be all & end all.

Say one team had 30,000 members made up of 15,000 adults, 5,000 concession & 10,000 children as opposed to another teams 28,000 members made up if 19,000 adults, 3,000 concession & 6,000 children.

The club with less members will actually generate more dollars due to the mix, then you have to factor in add ons such as seating, social club, coteries etc...

A club like Hawthorn might just have 45,000 members (consisting of 110,000 legs!).

But you still want to be improving the membership figure each year to keep attracting new people. I'd like to think we're always signing up more juniors. I'd rather have the 30,000 in your example. More of a chance to prosper when you have more juniors and concession memberships!

LostDoggy
06-04-2011, 10:30 AM
That's why for all kids birthdays of friends and family I get them a junior membership pack :D

Bulldog4life
06-04-2011, 01:56 PM
That's why for all kids birthdays of friends and family I get them a junior membership pack :D

That is a great idea. :)

LostDoggy
06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I never understood the economics of membership and the club's messaging on the matter -- is revenue or volume that they're after? If it's revenue, then by all means go after the high-value memberships and expensive add-ons, but stop moaning about numbers, because there is clearly an equilibrium point between 28,000 and 32,000 members at the pricepoints charged.

However, if membership numbers are the real game here (and I think it is, for a variety of reasons*), then it's a simple matter of price elasticity, revenue be damned (for a while anyway) -- the economist in me just says if your aim is 35,000 members, drop the price of membership, and keep dropping it until you hit your aim and find your price/demand equilibrium point.

Sure this tends towards a loss leader type model, but I can't imagine that the marginal utility of an empty seat is going to outweigh any hits you may take on revenue if you increase your numbers by dropping prices. You still have to pay for the stadium if 10,000 people or 50,000 people show up, you may as well have far smaller margins on 50,000 than large margins on 10,000. Heck, if your aim is volume, forget profit for a while, cut the membership price to the bone (or even below cost!**) and just absorb the costs as an investment towards the future.

Also, the Social Club membership proved to be very popular last year, not because anyone actually gives a crap about the Social Club (before anyone attacks me, I'm a Social Club member who actually used to enjoy spending time there pre/post game), but because they guaranteed GF tickets. There are only so many GF tickets you CAN promise, thus the capping of the numbers, but there is a strong clue in there as to where demand really lies -- in finals tickets guarantee schemes.

--

* maximising revenue is a short-term game with little upside. Stretching pockets also isn't sustainable -- high costs will always mean a larger percentage of members right on the edge of affordability who will drop off every year while others take their place, so it creates a rotating door type model, which seems to be what is happening -- how many didn't renew this year? Sure maximising revenue is important for the running of the club, but the real game here is volume -- for one thing, it's what the papers report, so yes, it's superficial, but it's also crucial to the external branding/image of the club, ie. high membership numbers give the impression of a successful club, which is self-perpetuating: more people will be attracted to a successful club, increasing numbers etc. I know some will compare our prices with other clubs, but that should be irrelevant, our business is our business (we have different demographics, different starting points, different goals, different balance sheets etc.) and needs to be customised as such.

** I know we're trying to 'bust the debt' as well, so taking losses/reducing margins may not be the best thing at this time, but we seem to be trying to do a whole lot of things at once (fair enough) and the membership numbers have been stuck for a while now. Aren't we screwed by the stadium deal anyway? So there's no point trying to recoup it through membership fees (which put downward pressure on numbers), but just rely/push for/wait till a better stadium deal eventuates, but keep building numbers in the meantime.

--

p.s. Before anyone jumps down my throat about stating the obvious, I should point out that I think that the administration of the club has done a MAGNIFICENT job in the large scheme of things. It's simply in this area where we have been stagnant for a while, have had the same problems from year to year (low retention etc.), and mixed/confused messaging from the club regarding their real goals with regards to membership, such that I'm not sure if we've done our best thinking, especially if there has been an over-reliance on simply following conventional/consensus wisdom when it comes to designing an 'AFL club membership model'.

ledge
06-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Doesnt the AFL set the membership price?

LostDoggy
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Doesnt the AFL set the membership price?

If this were true it would be a ludicrous situation for a whole range of reasons. I can imagine that they may want to have some sign-off on any business plan to ensure no gross mismanagement, especially with our reliance on the equalisation fund (which really is compensation for the horrible stadium deal), but how can they set prices without deep insight into or day-to-day accountability for the financial management of the club? The 18 clubs are essentially 18 unique businesses with very different markets, competitive landscapes etc. Maybe the World Bank should set the price of Coke too? Believe me, I'm no free market evangelist, but AFL HQ setting our prices for us is just old-world Soviet style centralised planning gone mad.

Axe Man
06-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Some interesting points in there Lantern, but I could have done without the nightmarish flashbacks to my uni economics classes - marginal utility, price elasticity, it's all coming back to me now, argh!:eek:

Daughter of the West
06-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Some interesting points in there Lantern, but I could have done without the nightmarish flashbacks to my uni economics classes - marginal utility, price elasticity, it's all coming back to me now, argh!:eek:

Me too! The words were familiar, but their meaning....umm....no idea :confused:

I did choose to do an Economics in Sport as part of my degree though, talking about free agency, player salaries, memberships etc. It was pretty interesting, but the only problem was the text was Amercian, so most of the examples were about American Football and Baseball (which I don't have any great knowledge of).

ledge
06-04-2011, 06:27 PM
If this were true it would be a ludicrous situation for a whole range of reasons. I can imagine that they may want to have some sign-off on any business plan to ensure no gross mismanagement, especially with our reliance on the equalisation fund (which really is compensation for the horrible stadium deal), but how can they set prices without deep insight into or day-to-day accountability for the financial management of the club? The 18 clubs are essentially 18 unique businesses with very different markets, competitive landscapes etc. Maybe the World Bank should set the price of Coke too? Believe me, I'm no free market evangelist, but AFL HQ setting our prices for us is just old-world Soviet style centralised planning gone mad.

=AFL if its to do with revenue for them

LostDoggy
06-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm with Mantis on this.

TCD you make a good point for example, The Hawks family membership is 2 Adults and 4 Children, i think every other club is 2 and 2, there for for a family membership the Hawks add 2 extra to there total. If we did the same it would probably have 3000 extra to our numbers?

The Coon Dog
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
TCD you make a good point for example, The Hawks family membership is 2 Adults and 4 Children, i think every other club is 2 and 2, there for for a family membership the Hawks add 2 extra to there total. If we did the same it would probably have 3000 extra to our numbers?

Sorry, I was being a bit flippant, referring to the high number of 'Pet Memberships' at Hawthorn.

The Adelaide Connection
07-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Sorry, I was being a bit flippant, referring to the high number of 'Pet Memberships' at Hawthorn.

What Hawthorn do is clever marketing. They don't disclose how many memberships were people, pets, space aliens or whatever they just give a figure. A really impressive figure. This figure would give them a competitive advantage when chasing sponsorship deals and negotiating $$$.

Family passes with 2 adults and 4 kids? Genius. We should be replicating all their sneaky number fudging tactics.

GVGjr
07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
The Hawks can represent the membership numbers anyway they like as far as I am concerned because they are a successful club and are making solid profits. We just have to get our own house in order.

Our supporters know how important memberships are to the club and yet for varying reasons traditionally aren't great at joining up each season.
The club provides our supporters with fantastic payment options, multiple membership options, a more than competitive club on the field and enough social events that provide the supporters access to their favorite players off the field but yet we still struggle.

I'm not sure what the issue is but most of the people I know who say they support the club but don't contribute to it in some way more than often don't have a legitimate reason not to join up.
I acknowledge that not everyone can do this but it's more or less a straw poll of the people I know.

I don't know what the answer is but I give the club full marks for their efforts each year.

LostDoggy
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
The Hawks can represent the membership numbers anyway they like as far as I am concerned because they are a successful club and are making solid profits. We just have to get our own house in order.

Our supporters know how important memberships are to the club and yet for varying reasons traditionally aren't great at joining up each season.
The club provides our supporters with fantastic payment options, multiple membership options, a more than competitive club on the field and enough social events that provide the supporters access to their favorite players off the field but yet we still struggle.

I'm not sure what the issue is but most of the people I know who say they support the club but don't contribute to it in some way more than often don't have a legitimate reason not to join up.I acknowledge that not everyone can do this but it's more or less a straw poll of the people I know.

I don't know what the answer is but I give the club full marks for their efforts each year.

I can't buy this, Gary -- the bolded bits especially are self-contradictory. If you can't even get your loyal customers to bother paying you what you're charging, you're going to be going out of business pretty soon, much less even be able to think of any real growth.

When a company find that their customers are not buying their products, they can either complain that they can't understand why they're not paying up, or actually keep innovating to try to find a model that works. With some of the developing country governments I consult with I see the same mentality whenever you mention innovation or thinking outside the box -- they often parrot the line that 'we're already doing all these other things that worked for other countries and it's still not working, I don't know what's wrong with everyone who's not buying our stuff'. Well, the fact is, no one owes you a living and you better learn what it means to truly compete.

The way I see it is pretty simple -- the AFL is built like an oligarchy of 16 - 18 loosely related entities that are happy to collude (openly, in this case) to maintain a monopoly on the product (in this case, top level footy - Rugby League's split codes back in the '90s and the creation of the English Premier League are examples of when a monopoly is broken), provide some sort of stability to the status quo and maintain profits. The only problem is that, as one of the poorest members of that oligarchy, we have little to no incentive to maintain the status quo, and may as well disrupt the system through as much innovation or price-cutting (the only two ways an oligarchy traditionally shakes itself up) as possible in the hope that the status quo becomes fluid.

I can't really make recommendations without further knowledge/research/reflection, but a few preliminary thoughts come to mind:

1. Smaller/mid-tier sporting clubs that successfully maintain fiercely loyal and paid-up members (in competitions far more cut-throat and less socialist than ours ie. no compensation funds) tend to have a very clear point of distinction in terms of identity. Differentiate or die. Our identity has to get an 'X-factor' about it -- "community club" is great, but how do we make that sexy/funky/interesting/noteworthy/emotionally appealing? What about us (other than good footy) makes people want to write about us, talk about us, tell their friends about us, give us money, wear our merchandise etc.? How are we unique?

2. Mission have been a fantastic sponsor, how do we jump on each others' bandwagons a bit more? Is there Dogs'-related anything on Mission packaging -- something as simple as having Gia and Boydy smiling on the back of a packet or something would have huge visibility.

3. Embrace social media -- smaller organisations have to be seen as cutting edge and agile, otherwise, why bother with the 'risk' of dealing with a smaller organisation that has all the same slowness and facelessness of a large one, which at least has the advantage of size? If we're just a poor man's version of Collingwood or Essendon, why would any new fan looking for a team bother with us? We HAVE to get our own website and get off the Bigpond crap -- membership information on that website is pretty indentikit basic and as exciting as pulling teeth. They could do a LOT worse than getting you, Gary, to advise on setting up a coherent, workable and UNIQUE online identity.

4. Design seriously fashionable/cool merchandise. There are people in Asia wearing clothes of US sports clubs they have never heard of because the logo and colours are cool. Dogs merchandise is generally pretty daggy, and we are missing one of the best chances to create an identity/brand that reaches far beyond the reaches of traditional footy people.

--

Basically you are looking to create an entity that not only people feel fiercely loyal too, but also something they want to part with their money for without us having to beg. People PAY for the privilege of being able to tell people they went to a cool underground club on the weekend, or that they own the latest handbag, or that they are members of such-and-such club. How do we make ourselves similarly desirable such that the next generation of fans want to be associated with us? How do we become seen as some sort of rallying force for the western community in terms of social identity? How do we make people proud to be paid-up Dogs fans?

Until we are able to clearly define ourselves in these terms and not just as another 'sort of the same as every other AFL club, only a bit different', we can expect the status quo to continue and for us to remain in the bottom 4-5 clubs with regards to membership figures.

Ghost Dog
08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Interesting post Lantern. Some pearls of business acumen there.

So basically you feel the club is resting on its laurals a bit Lantern? Um, how do you make a Bulldog sexy ^_^

As long as we don't have to wear a 'funky' away strip like Hawthorn. It's the worst in the AFL.

The western corridoor is growing but alot of them are migrants with not that much interest in AFL. We need to recruit some Punjabi's!

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 09:02 AM
The western corridoor is growing but alot of them are migrants with not that much interest in AFL. We need to recruit some Punjabi's!

We could start with some cameo appearances in Bollywood movies - Bullywood!:p

(Disclaimer: Bollywood is in Hindi, not Punjab)

Ghost Dog
08-04-2011, 09:45 AM
We could start with some cameo appearances in Bollywood movies - Bullywood!:p

(Disclaimer: Bollywood is in Hindi, not Punjab)

Mumbai yes! Haha nice one.
Ok so the question is....

Why are people not re-starting their memberships? 8000 people is a fair hit.
The club has to send out the feelers and find out why.

For me, being a renter, I feel financial issues could be one factor.
the cost of living is starting to outstrip Sydney and work in my field ( ESL ) is hard to get at the moment.
Alot of our supporters are traditionally from the lower strata of financial well-offness.

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Please pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered.

Has the club released any figures on how many VU 3-game memberships were upgraded to 11 game memberships last season?

The first of the 3 VU membership games is this weekend against the Suns. Is there any chance that VU members will upgrade after this weekend?

SlimPickens
08-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Please pardon my ignorance if this has already been covered.

Has the club released any figures on how many VU 3-game memberships were upgraded to 11 game memberships last season?

The first of the 3 VU membership games is this weekend against the Suns. Is there any chance that VU members will upgrade after this weekend?

Possibly, i'm not sure whether the VU membership goes on our official membership telly. I certainly hope not but that being said it may drag some people through the gate this week.

I know quite a few VU people who get the 3 game membership and aren't doggies supporters, so clearly there is no attempt by them to upgrade.

LostDoggy
08-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Possibly, i'm not sure whether the VU membership goes on our official membership tally.

I'm positive the 3 game membership doesn't go on the tally, but it's only about $60 to upgrade to the 11 game membership. I'd snap that up If I went to VU.

Greystache
09-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm positive the 3 game membership doesn't go on the tally, but it's only about $60 to upgrade to the 11 game membership. I'd snap that up If I went to VU.

The two French boys were given 11 game home memberships for free last during a gym membership promotion at VU.

KT31
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
The two French boys were given 11 game home memberships for free last during a gym membership promotion at VU.

At least we wear the right colours for them.;)

LostDoggy
14-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I can't buy this, Gary -- the bolded bits especially are self-contradictory. If you can't even get your loyal customers to bother paying you what you're charging, you're going to be going out of business pretty soon, much less even be able to think of any real growth.

When a company find that their customers are not buying their products, they can either complain that they can't understand why they're not paying up, or actually keep innovating to try to find a model that works.

I can't really make recommendations without further knowledge/research/reflection, but a few preliminary thoughts come to mind:

1. Smaller/mid-tier sporting clubs that successfully maintain fiercely loyal and paid-up members (in competitions far more cut-throat and less socialist than ours ie. no compensation funds) tend to have a very clear point of distinction in terms of identity.

2. Mission have been a fantastic sponsor, how do we jump on each others' bandwagons a bit more?

3. Embrace social media

4. Design seriously fashionable/cool merchandise.

Until we are able to clearly define ourselves in these terms and not just as another 'sort of the same as every other AFL club, only a bit different', we can expect the status quo to continue and for us to remain in the bottom 4-5 clubs with regards to membership figures.

^This (but the longer version...)

1. The Whitten Oval itself could be better used IMO. It's a great location and could be used for heaps of events to get the local kids involved. I think we could branch out and hold comedy events or something family oriented on a bi-weekly basis and reach out to the local residents to attend non-footy related evening events. Good way to get the non-footy locals as well as new immigrants without a current interest in the game slowly introduced (indoctrinated???) into the club.

2. We should get Mission's foods better involved - no reason we can't sell taco's at all the events and/or the Pound.

3. Embracing social media. WB Facebook page has been a disappointing exercise IMO for a variety of reasons. Looks like it's just been changed which may or may not be a step forward but I think it was poorly managed initially. We could also get a better email set-up only for members with insights, special events at the club maybe for members only etc. I'm not talking about another $55 ticket money-grubber either. Something like a 17:30 Friday afternoon address at the club for members to hear from the CEO or Coach or Recruiter for 5 minutes. I'd buy a drink if they did and I'd feel more embraced. Suspect so would many others. You could use it also as a "please bring a friend who might want to join but isn't member". Last idea - maybe just an email "from the coaches box" on a Friday afternoon? Something quick but inciteful from Rocket (or his ghost writer) just for members each week.

4. Was at the shop a week ago and I was very impressed with the variety of clothes on offer. Quality was exceptional at the top end of the range I thought (and bought).

Lastly (and sadly) I upgraded to a Silver Reserve Ticket in October last year. I still haven't got it. Based on the long long line at the Members tent last Saturday I'd suggest many others haven't either. We HAVE to get these basics right both on and off the field at this club.

Ghost Dog
14-04-2011, 10:02 PM

1. The Whitten Oval itself could be better used IMO. It's a great location and could be used for heaps of events to get the local kids involved. I think we could branch out and hold comedy events or something family oriented on a bi-weekly basis and reach out to the local residents to attend non-footy related evening events. Good way to get the non-footy locals as well as new immigrants without a current interest in the game slowly introduced (indoctrinated???) into the club.

2. We should get Mission's foods better involved - no reason we can't sell taco's at all the events and/or the Pound.

3. Embracing social media. WB Facebook page has been a disappointing exercise IMO for a variety of reasons. Looks like it's just been changed which may or may not be a step forward but I think it was poorly managed initially. We could also get a better email set-up only for members with insights, special events at the club maybe for members only etc. I'm not talking about another $55 ticket money-grubber either. Something like a 17:30 Friday afternoon address at the club for members to hear from the CEO or Coach or Recruiter for 5 minutes. I'd buy a drink if they did and I'd feel more embraced. Suspect so would many others. You could use it also as a "please bring a friend who might want to join but isn't member". Last idea - maybe just an email "from the coaches box" on a Friday afternoon? Something quick but inciteful from Rocket (or his ghost writer) just for members each week.

4. Was at the shop a week ago and I was very impressed with the variety of clothes on offer. Quality was exceptional at the top end of the range I thought (and bought).

Lastly (and sadly) I upgraded to a Silver Reserve Ticket in October last year. I still haven't got it. Based on the long long line at the Members tent last Saturday I'd suggest many others haven't either. We HAVE to get these basics right both on and off the field at this club.

Great ideas. I was at the oval a few days ago. It did seem pretty dead. Even the staff seemed bored. Comedy and other events there. Awesome idea.

bornadog
15-04-2011, 07:29 PM

God its a struggle to get to 30,000.

G-Mo77
15-04-2011, 07:43 PM

God its a struggle to get to 30,000.

We'll get there though. :)

I think we'll get around 31,500 - 33,000

LostDoggy
15-04-2011, 11:20 PM

Superdog, I think these are great ideas, and I for one, would certainly feel more involved/embraced as a member receiving a quick email on a Friday from Rocket, or a quick function at the Pound for members only.

LostDoggy
17-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Interesting, I recieved my merchandise kit a couple of weeks ago but still havent received my membership card. Lucky I am an interstate member and dont need it.

Murphy'sLore
27-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Come on, people!

The Adelaide Connection
27-04-2011, 06:31 PM
The weekends loss must have been an absolute kick in the teeth for the membership numbers. If we held on for a win I bet the phones would be running hot.

Solution: Beat Collingwood. Simple. Kind of.

bornadog
27-04-2011, 09:22 PM
The weekends loss must have been an absolute kick in the teeth for the membership numbers. If we held on for a win I bet the phones would be running hot.

Solution: Beat Collingwood. Simple. Kind of.

Yes that would be a massive boost to the membership numbers.

Mitcha
28-04-2011, 06:32 PM
At the Pound today updated figure was 30,030.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Wasn't there a campaign for 30k members by round 1. It seems that didn't go so well!

I don't understand why we continually struggle with membership. The western suburbs still is one of the fastest growing corridors in Australia?

chef
01-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Wasn't there a campaign for 30k members by round 1. It seems that didn't go so well!

I don't understand why we continually struggle with membership. The western suburbs still is one of the fastest growing corridors in Australia?

Maybe this is just as good as it gets, which worries me when we side down the ladder in a couple of years.

Maddog37
13-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but here goes anyway.

Last year we were silver family reserved and had good seats on he flank. Liked the idea of going up to level 1 as I prefer to watch from up there and the kids enjoyed the footy so thought it was worth a bit extra. Seats we got were a lot closer to the pocket but offset by being on the preferred level. Rang and asked to be closer to wing area but no lot of 4 seats were available anywhere else. No probs just accept and move on as the membership ladies were very nice etc.

Got a letter yesterday with new cards saying we are being moved around even closer to goal as there was a membership double up with coterie groups (after seven weeks?) and thanks very much for your understanding. Rang again re availability of other seats and same response.

Not sure I would have upgraded if these seats we are now given were the original one offered as I do not really like being too close to goal.

I really have no agenda and just wanted to make others aware and get their thoughts as well as venting my frustration.

GVGjr
13-05-2011, 09:03 PM
M37, Very frustrating experience as you have basically paid more and are now getting less.

I'd keep at the club because the issue isn't of your making.

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 01:11 AM
What Row they give you? As I'm considering to moving to level 1 Siler next year as although quite like my level 2 seat with my mates. i wanna be close to the action.

Maddog37
14-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Danstar, Row 27 instead of row 28.

GVG I would keep at the club but as there are no other seats available in gold section in a group of four I am not sure what I would achieve........

If we beat the Tigers it will make me feel better!

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Would be good if they had a seat map that shows us where is available.

Like when you buy tickets for the cinemas

G-Mo77
14-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Would be good if they had a seat map that shows us where is available.

Like when you buy tickets for the cinemas

You city folk have got it good!

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 02:35 PM
You city folk have got it good!

I'm sure you have that in Bendigo to :P

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Reading the Facebook message 7500 nor signed up will tell you how stupid our so called fans are. We need to make membership by the quarter not the game. I'm not sure fans at other clubs put conditions on buying membership as our fans do

Greystache
14-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Reading the Facebook message 7500 nor signed up will tell you how stupid our so called fans are. We need to make membership by the quarter not the game. I'm not sure fans at other clubs put conditions on buying membership as our fans do

If you truly believe that then you are kidding yourself.

bornadog
14-05-2011, 03:48 PM

yep an absolute joke.

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 04:19 PM
If you truly believe that then you are kidding yourself.
Never hear a Collingwood fan say "I'm not signing up cos we don't play for 4 quarters". Through the bad years they still signed up.

I know Essendon fans didn't like Knights but that was easily fixable and not a condition of future on field performances that no one really knows about.

Already mentioned Richmond first buy the memebrship (maybe a bit deillusional) then tear it them up.

Greystache
14-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Never hear a Collingwood fan say "I'm not signing up cos we don't play for 4 quarters". Through the bad years they still signed up.

I know Essendon fans didn't like Knights but that was easily fixable and not a condition of future on field performances that no one really knows about.

Already mentioned Richmond first buy the memebrship (maybe a bit deillusional) then tear it them up.

Collingwood has conservatively 6 times the supporter base we have yet have only double the members we have, if we had their take up rate we'd be extinct.

Richmond claim they can sign up 75,000 members if they win a flag, so they even acknowledge HALF their supporters have dropped off and won't re-sign until they're successful. That is a disgrace.

Essendon had thousands of members threatening not to re-sign unless they sacked the coach, is there a more blatant case of only re-signing on your own terms!

No club has been less successful than the Bulldogs in the last 50 years, yet we're not last for members, and given we're competing for supporters against 9 other teams in the same city that would be some sort of world record.

LostDoggy
14-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Collingwood has conservatively 6 times the supporter base we have yet have only double the members we have, if we had their take up rate we'd be extinct.

Richmond claim they can sign up 75,000 members if they win a flag, so they even acknowledge HALF their supporters have dropped off and won't re-sign until they're successful. That is a disgrace.

Essendon had thousands of members threatening not to re-sign unless they sacked the coach, is there a more blatant case of only re-signing on your own terms!

No club has been less successful than the Bulldogs in the last 50 years, yet we're not last for members, and given we're competing for supporters against 9 other teams in the same city that would be some sort of world record.

Great points

LostDoggy
15-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Collingwood has 6x the base but doubt they lost as many as 7500 when they were crap nor have I heard that 4 quarters line from them as a threat for not buying membership.

Maybe we haven't been sucessful in the last 50 years but you buy the membership for the future not for the past. We were top 4 the last 3 years, its not like our prospects are terrible.

GVGjr
15-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe we haven't been sucessful in the last 50 years but you buy the membership for the future not for the past. We were top 4 the last 3 years, its not like our prospects are terrible.

I'm with you on this as I still haven't heard a plausible reason why so many of our supporters won't take some sort of membership each season.
Would there be a supporter that doesn't understand how important memberships are to our club?
They can sign up at the games, over the internet, over the phone, at family days and club functions and they also have some terrific payment terms that can help people spread the payments over a number of months.

I truly understand those who financially can't afford it will still struggle to sign up but so many others just take things for granted. I'm through with the survival mode we have been in for so long and I now want us to start thriving and that's one of the reasons why it's important for those who can afford it to join up.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm with you on this as I still haven't heard a plausible reason why so many of our supporters won't take some sort of membership each season.
Would there be a supporter that doesn't understand how important memberships are to our club?
They can sign up at the games, over the internet, over the phone, at family days and club functions and they also have some terrific payment terms that can help people spread the payments over a number of months.

I truly understand those who financially can't afford it will still struggle to sign up but so many others just take things for granted. I'm through with the survival mode we have been in for so long and I now want us to start thriving and that's one of the reasons why it's important for those who can afford it to join up.

About a month and a half ago, I went into Whitten Oval and renewed my membership.
I got a call about three weeks later by the agency who handles such things to ask me why I had not joined up. I told them I had already paid and so forth. They apologised.
Still have not received my pack. Seems communication is not so good. Don't blame the club as I know it's handled by an outsource.

GVGjr
15-05-2011, 02:40 PM
About a month and a half ago, I went into Whitten Oval and renewed my membership.
I got a call about three weeks later by the agency who handles such things to ask me why I had not joined up. I told them I had already paid and so forth. They apologised.
Still have not received my pack. Seems communication is not so good. Don't blame the club as I know it's handled by an outsource.

This needs to be directed towards the club so that they know what needs fixing. I wouldn't disagree that they should already know that but they do need to hear it again and again until the put something in place to make sure they are more responsive.

We can all do our bit to make sure we keep the club focused on being totally professional with the basics of customer service within the membership department.

choconmientay
16-05-2011, 09:07 AM
This needs to be directed towards the club so that they know what needs fixing. I wouldn't disagree that they should already know that but they do need to hear it again and again until the put something in place to make sure they are more responsive.

We can all do our bit to make sure we keep the club focused on being totally professional with the basics of customer service within the membership department.

I totally agree. Memberships is our "bread & butter". The club have to improve and get this right. As a small club we can not afford to stuff up with membership signing or resigning.

bornadog
21-06-2011, 10:38 AM
With only a week to go we are sitting on 31,144. I think last year was 32,077, but the way we have performed wpuld have stopped many supporters from taking out a membership.

G-Mo77
21-06-2011, 10:57 AM
With only a week to go we are sitting on 31,144. I think last year was 32,077, but the way we have performed wpuld have stopped many supporters from taking out a membership.

It's not a bad figure. I fear what it's going to be like next season. They've got to give the fairweathers some hope in the final 10 weeks.

bornadog
21-06-2011, 11:35 AM
It's not a bad figure. I fear what it's going to be like next season. They've got to give the fairweathers some hope in the final 10 weeks.

Your right, next year could be grim for not only standard membership packages but also Gold and reserve seating. Could be a massive financial problem awaiting to happen.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Not too bad a result considering the disappoint for members this season.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I was in the pound on Friday and it was the 32005 then. The club put on Facebook the league had given them a extent ion on the 30th June deadline, I think they said they sold 25 on Saturday and was still open until last night, so hopefully a few more.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Agree, not a bad return at all.

Scraggers
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Has anyone got the time to go to each website and see how we rate / rank against other Victorian based clubs ?

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Has anyone got the time to go to each website and see how we rate / rank against other Victorian based clubs ?

Usually gets published on AFL website or HS

comrade
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Revenue will be the big factor. How many supporters signed up for the full Gold/Social Club package and how many bought a downgraded membership after our first four weeks.

Hopefully we're somewhere near parity versus last year.

bornadog
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Revenue will be the big factor. How many supporters signed up for the full Gold/Social Club package and how many bought a downgraded membership after our first four weeks.

Hopefully we're somewhere near parity versus last year.

Pretty sure full Gold was sold out, but who knows what will happen next year.

comrade
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Pretty sure full Gold was sold out, but who knows what will happen next year.

A lot will depend on the rest of the season. If the kids continue to develop, we come home with some momentum (not necessarily making finals), and sell our supporters hope, we should be ok. If we limp to round 24 playing crap footy with all our veterans and miss finals, our membership will take a massive hit.

Greystache
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Website is up to 32,031. Still a couple down on last year.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Bulldogs membership figures released (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/118486/default.aspx)

The Western Bulldogs today released membership figures for the 2011 Season.

A total of 32,031 people have signed up to be a Western Bulldogs Member in 2011 as of July 13th.

This figure represents the second highest membership tally in the Club’s history - despite being eight per cent down on last year’s record result.

Importantly, 93 per cent of those who signed up to support the Club in 2011 are Game Day Access members.

The Bulldogs’ strong connection with Melbourne’s West has shone through in this year’s results - with 45 of the top 50 Bulldogs Membership suburbs based in the West.

More than 1 in 10 Members in 2011 call the Hoppers Crossing and Werribee area home - further confirming Melbourne’s West as the Bulldogs’ backyard.

In a very pleasing result - the EJ Whitten Social Club sold out for the second year in a row and over 12,660 Bulldogs for Life Members signed up this season, taking advantage of the Club’s auto renew and 12 month payment plan options.

Simon Garlick, Western Bulldogs Chief Executive said that while it was disappointing that the Club had not superseded last year’s record result he urged supporters to get behind the team as they storm home and into next year.

“Sunday’s fantastic win over Carlton is reflective of the exciting brand of football we know we are capable of,” Garlick said.

“The fact that we also have an electric group of youngsters coming through the ranks - makes the Western Bulldogs great value for our long term supporters and a very attractive option for new fans of our game.

“We want to thank all of our long term, loyal Members - your support is always appreciated and most certainly never forgotten.”

Simon also thanked the 5,041 Members who signed up for the first time to the red, white and blue and urged the nearly 7,000 un-renewed Members from 2010 to return to the ‘Kennel’ and get behind the Club for the long term.

It is an exciting time down at Whitten Oval with the recent contract extension of Major Partner Mission Foods to an unprecedented long term arrangement, the Bulldoze the Debt Campaign now topping $1 million and the completion of our $31 million re-development of Club and Community facilities.

“There has never been a better time to get on board as a Western Bulldogs Member,” Garlick said.

“Our backyard, the Western Region of Melbourne is the fastest growing region in the country and we look forward to engaging with our Fans and Supporters through an extremely exciting and successful football team and our continued and genuine presence in our Community.”

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 02:12 PM
5000 new members is great, but 7000 who didn't re-sign dampens that figure :/

Greystache
14-07-2011, 03:09 PM
5000 new members is great, but 7000 who didn't re-sign dampens that figure :/

With the reliability of our membership database, I'd expect the real figure to be more like 2000 new members and 4000 who didn't renew.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 06:16 PM
We had a family membership last year plus one adult-general.
This year we went too silver and needed a Family, Adult plus Student.
I couldn't do any of the changes online as they weren't entered under each name correctly last year.

Would our old memberships be considered non renewals as we basically had to start from scratch?
There is probable more like this as well

The Pie Man
26-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Did any of you Bulldog for Life members receive the monthly text just then saying it was from Essendon FC?

Uggggggh yukkkkkkk not good :eek:

aker39
26-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Did any of you Bulldog for Life members receive the monthly text just then saying it was from Essendon FC?

Uggggggh yukkkkkkk not good :eek:

Yes, I received one from the dogs and then a few hours later, one from Essendon.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-07-2011, 02:19 PM
I sent the Essendon number back a STOP message.

G-Mo77
26-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I got one as well.

Bulldog4life
26-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I rang the Club about it. Computer glitch. The same system handles all of the teams a very helpful Rachel told me and she had had plenty of calls.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, I got one too. Was just going to keep an eye on the credit card & see what happened.... thanks everyone for letting me know it was an error though!! :)

w3design
26-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Like Essendon need to get their grubby hands on our money!!

I received a follow up apology text so hopefully this is sorted.

LostDoggy
26-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I was with a Essendon supporter at work when I got the text, told him a lot of members where going to be very upset! lol

Then the doggies text, and finally the apology, glad it wasn't a North text, I wouldn't have been laughing then!

LostDoggy
27-07-2011, 10:43 AM
I received the text, was a bit miffed but thought I would wait out the day and sure enough the correction came.