comrade
15-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Anyone but Moz :(

Murphy'sLore
15-03-2019, 03:54 PM
Oh no.

hujsh
15-03-2019, 03:58 PM
It's sad, Morris has been one of if not my favourite players over the last decade+. Never want someone's last game to be in the pre-season

This puts a big responsibility on Wood's shoulders now as he's probably the one who is best equipped to fill the Morris sized hole in the backline (with some help from Zaine).

Raw Toast
Ugh...

craigsahibee
So, I guess the Naughton Forward experiment stops right there.

Good Luck Dale.

cinder
15-03-2019, 04:03 PM
This is gutting :( poor guy.

Axe Man
15-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Dale sort of got lucky just over 1 year ago with a partial tear to his ACL, would be a miracle if the injury was again not a full blown ACL but it seems unlikely.:(

Mofra
15-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Nooooooooo.

Awful news.

Mantis
15-03-2019, 04:10 PM
This news has just *!*!*!*!ed up my day!

Poor bugger. :(

bornadog
15-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Nooooo, noooooo, noooooo :(

Rocket Science
15-03-2019, 04:11 PM
This has become such a time honoured ritual you can just about set your watch to it these days.

They're reporting a hyperextension rather than a tear which has to be good news, doesn't it?

And it's Dale we're talking about. He'll still be right for round one fer chrissake.

AND as already noted, so much for the time spent trialling Naughton up forward. Back down the rear son.

Remi Moses
15-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Sh** news
Wonder if we’ll sign a key back replacement

lemmon
15-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Sh** news
Wonder if we’ll sign a key back replacement

Is the deadline today?

Axe Man
15-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Is the deadline today?

Yes 5pm today. Will be too late I would expect, we will have to wait until the mid season draft if we deem it necessary to sign a replacement.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Ffs!

bornadog
15-03-2019, 04:18 PM
Whole preseason completed and then he doesn't even get a game. Has done the opposite knee to last year.

Bloody hell

comrade
15-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Time for the young defenders to step up.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-03-2019, 04:26 PM
I feel sick.
This is the end of the road for my all time favourite.
So cruel.

dadsgirl16
15-03-2019, 04:40 PM
far out what a shite day all round

The Pie Man
15-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Oh Dale - this is shattering. We love you mate, you'll always be premiership hero. You've done more than enough.

Sedat
15-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Terrible news for 2019 - Moz deserves to go out on his terms and not through injury.

Really unfortunate for our list balance - Naughton up forward would have been very exciting to see over the course of a decent sample size. We can't really afford him up forward long term now.

Mantis
15-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Oh Dale - this is shattering. We love you mate, you'll always be premiership hero. You've done more than enough.

We should all just watch 'that tackle' on loop tonight... that will cheer us all up!

dukedog
15-03-2019, 04:56 PM
*!*!*!*! me

Why footy gods. Why.

The Pie Man
15-03-2019, 04:56 PM
We should all just watch 'that tackle' on loop tonight... that will cheer us all up!

Knowing Dale, he’ll want to rehab and fight on, but in my head I’ve already gone into career celebration mode.

So will I be watching the last 8 minutes of the GF for the 80th time again tonight? Absolutely

Bulldog4life
15-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Bugger it.

Doc26
15-03-2019, 04:58 PM
Disbelievingly, had to triple check the date of the thread and the attached article.

This is so unbelievably cruel and disappointing.

We can only hope that like his previous ACL, that the orthopaedic surgeon prescribes a conservative, non surgical, approach to recovery but the odds of him dodging another bullet like the previous diagnosis must be very high.

bornadog
15-03-2019, 04:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XksWfbV4Z4E

bornadog
15-03-2019, 05:00 PM
One of our greatest defenders of all time, I worry this is it. Will be 37 at the start of the season next year. Maybe he can do a Tony Libba and come back early

1eyedog
15-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Go LARS Moz back for mid-year.

comrade
15-03-2019, 05:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XksWfbV4Z4E

Alright, I’ll watch this for the 94th time if I must.

bornadog
15-03-2019, 05:08 PM
Go LARS Moz back for mid-year.

I would, he doesn't have time on his side

ratsmac
15-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Unbelievable. He's had such rotten luck with injuries over the last 5 years. It's going to be hard to replace such a champion.

The Underdog
15-03-2019, 05:42 PM
Bugger. Just the wrong way for him to go out, if this is it. Deserves better.

Mofra
15-03-2019, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure I'm running a line through him.

This is not a mere mortal we're talking about, it's Dale freaking Morris. The guy could be cremated and he'd want to get back early.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Fletcher Roberts is by far the most senior KPD we have (Wood isn't a KPD). And he might not even play. None of that cover for tall forwards. This is about the worst player on the list to happen to. This is about the worst human being, a decent, hard, loyal man for it to happen to.

I'm sick of these ACLs. We must be ranked #1.

FFS. Can we just sit out this year, I've had enough already. Why Morris?

lemmon
15-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Missed a trick not giving Young or Roberts some game time in JLT2, especially when we knew Naughton would be playing forward

GVGjr
15-03-2019, 06:10 PM
One of my most admired Bulldog players of all time.

I wouldn't write him off playing next year.

It's a tough life being a footballer and I think I'm guilty at times for looking at the trappings of successful players and not fully appreciating how hard it actually is for players when injuries like this occur.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2019, 06:12 PM
Out of adversity comes opportunity. Come on young bulldogs, rise up.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-03-2019, 06:13 PM
If one player can come back at age 37 it is the Morris Major.

Axe Man
15-03-2019, 06:25 PM
If anyone can, it’s Morris: Grant (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-03-15/if-anyone-can-its-morris-grant?fbclid=IwAR2-M3fK_qOMZ-u7LP0udiFK9CzndpmZM-0yTfzzTxVSQnuGNWD1AeDg1kA)

Western Bulldogs director of football Chris Grant says if there’s any athlete who can bounce back from an ACL injury at 36, it’s Dale Morris.

The inspirational Bulldog, who has overcome more than his fair share of injuries in his lengthy career, suffered an ACL injury at training on Friday.

Expert opinion is being sought by the Bulldogs and Morris around the extent of the injury, before determining the best course of action for his rehabilitation.

“That’s the question that everybody will ask, because of his age,” Grant told media at VU Whitten Oval on Friday afternoon.

“There’s two things probably around Dale. One, he wants to get the information and we want to get that for him ASAP, and then we’ll sit with him and determine an action plan from there.

“(Two) I guess if there was a player or an athlete within elite sport that could return at his age, or her age, from an injury like this, it’s Dale Morris.

“But in saying that, there’s a lot of water to go under the bridge before we even contemplate that.

“He’s had in his terms, a very, very good pre-season in comparison to others, so I think on the eve of the season for him and the team it’s a real cruel blow.

Grant said the Bulldogs would rally around Morris, and be ready for round one.

“We’ve had a pretty tough period of injuries over the last two years, so I think in that sense we understand that the group’s pretty resilient,” Grant said.

“But at the same time, as much as they’re excited for the season pending, they’re really devastated for him personally.

“The effort that he’s put in to get back last year in some ways was miraculous, and now to have this on the eve of the season is devastating for him.

“The positivity and spirit within the group is enormous, it’s at a really high level.

“We expect that they’ll be disappointed for him, but at the same time still looking forward to round one.”

Rocket Science
15-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Out of adversity comes opportunity. Come on young bulldogs, rise up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY-P3D63Z18

Go_Dogs
15-03-2019, 08:46 PM
Hated hearing this today. Sometimes the game isn’t fair.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2019, 09:44 PM
This has become such a time honoured ritual you can just about set your watch to it these days.

They're reporting a hyperextension rather than a tear which has to be good news, doesn't it?

And it's Dale we're talking about. He'll still be right for round one fer chrissake.

AND as already noted, so much for the time spent trialling Naughton up forward. Back down the rear son.

Hyperextension is the movement that causes the ACL to tear, so probably not good news.

boydogs
15-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Morris is a warrior beyond measure, this is terrible news but it might work out for us

Wood & Morris both playing back wasn't working, but we wouldn't drop either of them

If we're still keen on Naughton forward, we may play Trengove back now instead of making Morris play tall, where Trengove is more effective than he is as a resting forward

SonofScray
15-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Fletcher Roberts? Might be his time to claw back into the fold.

Awful outcome for us. Morris a champion.

Rocket Science
15-03-2019, 11:10 PM
Hyperextension is the movement that causes the ACL to tear, so probably not good news.

Aye, I was still in stage one; denial.

LostDoggy
16-03-2019, 01:14 AM
Gutted by the news, could the bloke just be left alone? Hasn’t he had enough already? If ever there was a bloke....

Rocket Science
16-03-2019, 09:51 AM

Why must you mock us in our time of grief.

lemmon
16-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Awful outcome for us. Morris a champion.

I think so. He's now the most experienced key defender on our list. This could be the making of Fletch.

G-Mo77
16-03-2019, 11:17 AM
I think so. He's now the most experienced key defender on our list. This could be the making of Fletch.

Lots hope Fletch will get a shot at it but we all should be happy with Caleb Daniel going in as an undersized back man.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Morris is a warrior beyond measure, this is terrible news but it might work out for us

Wood & Morris both playing back wasn't working, but we wouldn't drop either of them

If we're still keen on Naughton forward, we may play Trengove back now instead of making Morris play tall, where Trengove is more effective than he is as a resting forward
Like this.

Ghost Dog
16-03-2019, 01:31 PM
How can I be happy about that....

Rocket Science
16-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Honestly, onya Fletch, you're a dutiful footsoldier and you've got more premiership medallions than everyone here combined ... but if he's our key defensive fallback in an era increasingly designed to orchestrate more space for forwards and more one-on-ones, well, to put it frankly, we're stuffed.

I'd rather we trialled him forward if anything seeing as we're prepared to give just about anyone a go.

S Coast Simon
17-03-2019, 08:43 AM
terrible news I really feel for Morris. This could have been a great year for him.

I wouldn’t mind seeing fletcher up in the forward line and Naughton back where he belongs. Fletch is beautifully skilled just a bit slower. I always thought he could be a CHF roaming around up there. And have Schache coming out of the square

soupman
17-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Absolutely horrid news, Morris may not be the most skilfull or talented player we've ever had, but he'd just about be the most respected. Has long been my favourite player and his ability in the past to push through numerous setbacks is unrivalled. Love him and hope he can use his ridiculous healing powers to be ready for round 3.

This doesn't mean Fletcher will play, last year we had rounds where Naughton was our only tall defender in the side with Young and Roberts both not picked. As others have said the positive is that it rebalances our backline so we don't have too many non-rebounders (Cordy, Wood, Naughton and Morris).

The fall of Roberts is interesting considering he played about the first 8 games of 2017 and was close to if not in the top 5 in the best and fairest at that point before being dropped. Since then he's barely even been looked at.

ledge
17-03-2019, 12:05 PM
We will miss his coaching and direction in the back line terribly.
His football not so much , not a go at him at all I just think this year was his teaching year more than anything.

Happy Days
17-03-2019, 01:38 PM
So have we listed anyone to replace him? If Sam Rowe was the next best option is there even any point?

bornadog
17-03-2019, 01:43 PM
So have we listed anyone to replace him? If Sam Rowe was the next best option is there even any point?

After he gets scanned, we will know the outcome of how long he will be out - most likely a year. We have the option to pickup someone mid season.

Eastdog
17-03-2019, 01:52 PM
So gutted for Moz :(

Eastdog
17-03-2019, 02:03 PM

What a magnificent tackle it was.

The Adelaide Connection
17-03-2019, 06:02 PM
If it is a full ACL do you think he would/should go for the LARS alternative if it is available?

TIme is not on his side, but does anyone know how the LARS grafts do long term?

bornadog
17-03-2019, 07:11 PM
If it is a full ACL do you think he would/should go for the LARS alternative if it is available?

TIme is not on his side, but does anyone know how the LARS grafts do long term?

We saw Goldsack come back for the finals. If I was him, I would go Lars

The bulldog tragician
17-03-2019, 10:10 PM
I am gutted for Moz, a fantastic person, a player of rare courage, selflessness, humility and determination. He has always made us so proud, and That Tackle (and let’s not forget That Smother in Q3) of the Gf were both brilliant and so typically Dale.

But ....this may be an unpopular opinion.... I don’t share the belief that he can somehow play on. For all his famed resilience, the last few years have been so tough on his body. Should he really put himself and his family through the terrible grind of rehab for the very slight chance of everything going well enough for him to somehow at age 37 play on in 2020?

soupman
17-03-2019, 11:05 PM
But ....this may be an unpopular opinion.... I don’t share the belief that he can somehow play on. For all his famed resilience, the last few years have been so tough on his body. Should he really put himself and his family through the terrible grind of rehab for the very slight chance of everything going well enough for him to somehow at age 37 play on in 2020?

I do somewhat agree, but if the club is hellbent on getting Picken back despite him not having recovered for over a year now I'm not sure they'll hold Morris back from the opportunity to return. I think he'll come back at the end of this season, and that'll be that.

I do remember an article or interview from last year where he talked about his son, and how his son wasn't playing footy or something. He quoted his son as saying something along the lines of "I don't like football. Football hurts daddy". Smart kid.

ratsmac
18-03-2019, 12:36 AM
I can't see us winning the flag this year so I think the club should respectfully ask him to retire. Moz is also one of my all time favourite players so it's hard to see him go out this way but I think this is the time to find his replacement. If Moz wants to play on next year or a miracle he comes back this year we are simply delaying the development of the next Dale Morris.

AshMac
18-03-2019, 08:58 AM
Devastating news at this stage of the season, but given it’s moz he’ll surely be back by round 9

Does this mean Naughton moves permanently back?

Mofra
18-03-2019, 10:54 AM
I'm worried about he flow-on effect on the group.
Is there anyone on our list as respected and Moz? I remember Gia talking about Granty's ACL and how 'the arse fell out of the place' when he did it - we won the spoon that year. Morale is important and if saps the morale from the group we're in for a long season.

craigsahibee
18-03-2019, 11:50 AM
I'm worried about he flow-on effect on the group.
Is there anyone on our list as respected and Moz? I remember Gia talking about Granty's ACL and how 'the arse fell out of the place' when he did it - we won the spoon that year. Morale is important and if saps the morale from the group we're in for a long season.

The difference between then and now is huge.
To qualify that difference I have just 2 words for you.
"Peter Rhode"

whythelongface
18-03-2019, 12:20 PM
wow been off line for a few days and come back to this devastating news. Moz will be severely missed, especially his experience and assistance with our younger players. Hopefully we see him back in the 2nd half of the season.

Topdog
18-03-2019, 03:37 PM
awful news

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-03-2019, 07:44 PM
Announcement coming on 7 news

KT31
18-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Scans confirmed ACL torn, no reco and has to wear a brace and will hopefully heal itself, hopes to be back mid season.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-03-2019, 07:47 PM
14 weeks he’s not having an operation wearing a special brace

Axe Man
18-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Wow. Only Dale Morris could make his ACL repair itself!

KT31
18-03-2019, 08:06 PM
The Western Bulldogs are planning for a case of deja vu with Dale Morris again avoiding a knee reconstruction in the hope of getting back by mid-season.

Morris, 36, injured his left knee during a training drill on Friday morning, with the Dogs confirming on Monday that it was a "high-grade" ACL injury.

Dale Morris
Dale MorrisCREDIT:AAP

The veteran defender, whose powers of resilience are legendary, partially tore the ACL in his right knee last February but avoided a full knee reconstruction, remarkably getting back to play by round 11. He then underwent minor knee surgery but was back playing within 10 days of the procedure, ending up playing 11 games for the season.

Morris insists his mind hasn't turned to retirement, with both he and the club planning for a repeat of 2018.

Advertisement

KT31
18-03-2019, 08:07 PM
Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris will approach the rehabilitation from his ACL injury in a similar manner to last year.

The 36-year-old injured his left knee at training on Friday last week, with scans confirming a high-grade injury to his ACL.

“Dale is an incredibly diligent and professional athlete, so we will put a comprehensive rehab program around him to do everything we can to get him back to playing AFL footy this season,” Medical Services Manager Chris Bell said.

“We have decided to manage Dale’s knee injury conservatively, and that means he will not require any surgery. Dale will go into a splint in the hope that the cruciate ligament heals.

“This is similar to how we managed his partial ACL injury to his opposite knee last season.

“We will assess the stability and degree of healing of the cruciate again in four-to-six weeks to determine when he can come out of the splint. It’s also at this time that we will get a clearer idea of his return to play timeline.”

Morris said he was determined to fight back to pull on the red, white and blue again.

“Not once have I thought, ‘maybe this is it’,” Morris said.

“That’s just not in my DNA. I want to play for as long as I can, and this doesn’t change that.

“I’ll be doing everything I can to get back, because I just love playing for this football club so much.

“Time-frame wise, we just don’t know. We’re going to be aiming for around that mid-year mark, (but) it could blow out, it could come in, we’ve just got to wait and see how it goes.”

*A full injury update will be available tomorrow via the Club’s website.

ratsmac
18-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Is it possible that the ACL can even heal itself? Is it not as bad as they are making out? I'm confused. Last year a partial tear makes sense that they didn't do the surgery but this one doesn't make sense. Is it torn or only partially torn?

ratsmac
18-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Sorry double post

GVGjr
18-03-2019, 09:23 PM
Never write him off

Eastdog
18-03-2019, 09:27 PM
Love it! Moz embodies the Bulldog spirit!

Flamethrower
18-03-2019, 09:53 PM
To answer a few questions raised in this thread....

No, ligament tissue cannot completely repair itself due to a lack of blood supply to the damaged tissue - Morris must have a partial tear to the ACL - it is possible to support the knee using a combination of strengthening the muscle tissue around the knee, along with a knee support or brace. That would allow the player to continue to play without requiring an immediate total reconstruction.

LARS - Instead of using organic tissue (often a hamstring tendon) to replace the damaged ligament, LARS uses a synthetic substitute. Synthetic tissue has been used for decades, but the majority of orthopaedic surgeons refuse to go down this path due to complications that can arise. The worst complication is a failure of the graft which results in an extremely complex surgical repair. There is also an issue with the introduction of a foreign body into the body - the best case scenario is a long term low grade inflammatory response which is associated with long term health issues. The worst case scenario is graft rejection due to infection.

The other reason surgeons avoid LARS is that it is not approved in many countries, including the USA, as the cons outweigh the pros, and as with traditional surgery, the best outcomes are still achieved with a conservative approach to rehabilitation (12 + months).

Doc26
18-03-2019, 09:56 PM
Is it possible that the ACL can even heal itself? Is it not as bad as they are making out? I'm confused. Last year a partial tear makes sense that they didn't do the surgery but this one doesn't make sense. Is it torn or only partially torn?

Although it was conveyed that way, there was nothing partial about Moz’s ACL tear last season. It was a full rupture but the success of the conservative approach taken really depended on healing ability and the extent and location of the tear. Moz dodged a bullet then and appears like he he has a chance to dodge another although there this no certainty that the conservative approach will take this time around. Will probably have a better idea in 6 weeks.

bornadog
18-03-2019, 10:05 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/hl1teFHQSnzcA/giphy.gif

LostDoggy
18-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Great news for Moz and the club, lets hope he can get back and contribute in the second half of the year.

hujsh
18-03-2019, 11:26 PM
To answer a few questions raised in this thread....

No, ligament tissue cannot completely repair itself due to a lack of blood supply to the damaged tissue - Morris must have a partial tear to the ACL - it is possible to support the knee using a combination of strengthening the muscle tissue around the knee, along with a knee support or brace. That would allow the player to continue to play without requiring an immediate total reconstruction.

LARS - Instead of using organic tissue (often a hamstring tendon) to replace the damaged ligament, LARS uses a synthetic substitute. Synthetic tissue has been used for decades, but the majority of orthopaedic surgeons refuse to go down this path due to complications that can arise. The worst complication is a failure of the graft which results in an extremely complex surgical repair. There is also an issue with the introduction of a foreign body into the body - the best case scenario is a long term low grade inflammatory response which is associated with long term health issues. The worst case scenario is graft rejection due to infection.

The other reason surgeons avoid LARS is that it is not approved in many countries, including the USA, as the cons outweigh the pros, and as with traditional surgery, the best outcomes are still achieved with a conservative approach to rehabilitation (12 + months).

So Bell was right all along.

boydogs
18-03-2019, 11:34 PM
So Bell was right all along.

He just loves the word, Morris' 14 week ACL rehab is conservative apparently

Axe Man
27-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Old Dog using old tricks (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-march-27/live-coverage/7b2a9c4f9d95a4eaa98b5def83a9c0bc)

The man behind Dale Morris’s latest anterior cruciate ligament roll of the dice says the Western Bulldogs veteran can make another same-season comeback.

Leading knee surgeon David Young hopes Morris, 36, can again dodge surgery and resume a 14th AFL season.

Morris missed only the first half of last season after avoiding an operation on a pre-season ACL rupture and will try to do so again after copping a similar injury on his other knee at training this month.

Young moved to clarify reports Morris had only suffered a partial tear.

“It’s virtually a full rupture, but he’s torn it off at one end and there is a slim chance that if you tear it off at one end it can heal spontaneously,” Young told the Herald Sun.

“You have a shredded ligament or an avulse ligament.

“If it’s shredded your chance of that healing is poor, but if it’s avulse … you’ve got a chance of managing it conservatively (without surgery).

“If it heals spontaneously you can get back quicker and that’s what we’re hoping.”

Morris will spend another week in a full leg brace before wearing a hinge brace and then stepping up a rehab program he hopes will last no more than 14 weeks.

The defender has been a rock in the Dogs’ back half over a 252-game career.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-03-2019, 02:20 PM
I note the phrase 'slim chance'.
I know Dale has proven time again he has an amazing propensity for rapid recovery. I hope he has fortune on his side this time.

It sounds really like a massive dice roll for the 'slim chance it spontaneously regrow.'

If not, and he subsequently requires a reco, then he would almost have to call it a day, given he'd miss a chunk of next season as a result of the conservative approach taken this year.

The bulldog tragician
27-03-2019, 04:45 PM
I know Dale has proven time again he has an amazing propensity for rapid recovery. I hope he has fortune on his side this time.

It sounds really like a massive dice roll for the 'slim chance it spontaneously regrow.'

If not, and he subsequently requires a reco, then he would almost have to call it a day, given he'd miss a chunk of next season as a result of the conservative approach taken this year.

It doesn't sound good.

ledge
27-03-2019, 05:12 PM
At his age it would be his last year so with this injury he really has no choice than to not have the operation if he is to play AFL again.
37, two knees in the last two years he is shot for another year contract.
Love the guy but age and injury aren’t in his favour.
He will get even slower and with young kids being a lot faster and more agile, sadly his career will be done after this season.
In saying that he could be more an asset as a coach in his position more than a player.
I’m sure they will have him doing a lot of coaching the kids while he is working on his knee.

boydogs
27-03-2019, 08:48 PM

It's a 9 month injury, leaving it a month to see whether it's healing by itself won't cost him round 1 next year

Doc26
28-03-2019, 10:29 AM

I had the same course of conservative treatment with my ruptured ACL. Your leg is locked in an awkward non flexible Zimmer frame for 6 weeks, sleeping with it on and only taking it off for a shower. My own scans revealed that there was good potential for my ACL to scar up and heal conservatively. Actually my surgeon mentioned to me at the time that I’m putting you on the Dale Morris plan (his first ACL). He had me at ‘Dale Morris’. In fact, the same treatment worked for Gia many years back when he ruptured his ACL. Unfortunately for me the prognosis at the 6 week assessment was that it hadn’t taken, leaving me with the reco pathway. I suspect we just won’t know until this mark whether Dale’s ACL has scarred up appropriately for him to move into rehab. For the time being his leg will be completely immobile other than for a morning shower but then knowing Dale he’s probably showering with the Zimmer on given his dedication.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-03-2019, 01:51 PM
I had the same course of conservative treatment with my ruptured ACL. Your leg is locked in an awkward non flexible Zimmer frame for 6 weeks, sleeping with it on and only taking it off for a shower. My own scans revealed that there was good potential for my ACL to scar up and heal conservatively. Actually my surgeon mentioned to me at the time that I’m putting you on the Dale Morris plan (his first ACL). He had me at ‘Dale Morris’. In fact, the same treatment worked for Gia many years back when he ruptured his ACL. Unfortunately for me the prognosis at the 6 week assessment was that it hadn’t taken, leaving me with the reco pathway. I suspect we just won’t know until this mark whether Dale’s ACL has scarred up appropriately for him to move into rehab. For the time being his leg will be completely immobile other than for a morning shower but then knowing Dale he’s probably showering with the Zimmer on given his dedication.
Wow it took this thread for me to fully understand my AC tear. I'm a few weeks ahead of Dale with my shoulder and even though it is deformed no surgery and its just past 6 weeks and movement has returned somewhat. Waiting for the tendons to 'scar up' and so strengthen. Its mad that that can happen with a full tear. I want a reco at 65 but hearing about Dale gives me great hope for both of us.
Dale you are again my hero.
By the way Doc are you the medico I went to Western Oval with with Simon Dickinson a few decades ago to watch a game possibly v Saints, Simon's team?

Raw Toast
29-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Morris was doing laps at the pool today with the rehab group while wearing a big brace on his leg which might have been a Zimmer.

My source at the pool suggests that he had his legs stable while propelling himself with his arms.

Axe Man
01-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Give a Dog a bone broth: veteran's unique rehab (https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-31/give-a-dog-a-bone-broth-veterans-unique-rehab)

HEROIC Western Bulldogs backman Dale Morris has revealed the extraordinary lengths he's going to as he attempts a miraculous recovery from a serious knee injury, including consuming one litre of bone broth a day.

The catch is, he has no idea if it's working, and won't for about six weeks.

After rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee at training in mid-March, the 36-year-old opted to avoid surgery, as he did last year when he had a similar injury in the opposite knee.

His leg is kept in a brace that keeps it straight and the 2008 All Australian explained why when speaking to Channel Seven.

"The knee is in the perfect position. The brace holds it all there," Morris said.

"There's a lot of fluid in the knee and for the ACL to heal you want the blood clots to form and to be able to scar up, to heal, to strengthen the ACL.

"If you move your knee, it kind of washes all those blood clots out. To lock it in place gives it the best opportunity to heal."

His wife Gemma is making bucket loads of chicken and turkey broths, and Morris is aiming to consume one litre per day. It's all part of the healing process.

"You boil the bones down and all the ligaments and cartilage and bone marrow all goes into this soup. You take the bones and the meat out, boil it down into this gelatinous substance and that's great for your body to heal," Morris said.

"It's good for your body anyway, but even more so for healing ligaments and good for joints.

"When I found out I'd done my ACL, after I rang her and you have your little cry on the phone - 'why me' sort of thing - you look at what's next.

"She goes 'I'm going to go home and I'm going to cook you the biggest pot of bone broth you've ever seen, and you're going to drink it and you're going to get better'."

In around 10 days time, Morris will be allowed to bend his knee 30 degrees.

Whether the efforts he and his wife have put in are rewarded remains to be seen.

"It's all unknown. I don't know if this is healing. I don't know if this is getting better," Morris said.

"I think it is and I'm hoping it is and I'm sending out all those positive vibes that it's healing, but there's no guarantees with what we're doing."

If the knee is not getting better, going under the knife might be necessary.

This type of recovery method is rarely used, but the Bulldogs had a test case before last year's situation with Morris.

Daniel Giansiracusa suffered a partially torn ACL in his right knee in December 2007, returned for round one, played every game that season and didn't retire until 2014.

Morris wants to follow that example.

"Hopefully this can heal and I'll get back," Morris said.

Rocket Science
01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
If you *really* want to get well Dale why not drink broth from the bones of the forwards you've vanquished over the years?

Axe Man
09-05-2019, 11:46 AM
MORRIS ON BRINK OF ANOTHER MIRACLE RECOVERY (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-may-9-2019/live-coverage/a7d8ef69975c4f8f3866fa326fc6e007)
By Tim Michell

Veteran Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris could return to football in the next month after initial fears a knee injury could rule him out for the season.

Morris, who suffered an ACL tear at training in March, has targeted the bye rounds for his comeback – about three months after injuring his knee.

“I had some scans last week and saw the specialist David Young and got the big tick of approval from him,” Morris said on AFL tonight.

“Now it’s onwards and upwards. I started running again which is just great and now slowly progressing, ticking boxes to get back out there.”

The 36-year-old has proven his incredible recuperative powers before, returning to training less than three months after suffering a partial ACL tear last year.

“I have just got to concentrate on progressing through, ticking the boxes as I go,” Morris said.

“Hopefully there’s no setbacks. I need to reload all the joints, the muscles and get back and going again.”

Morris said he was mindful not to target a specific round for his return due to the level of rehabilitation still required to strengthen his knee.

“Around the bye, maybe the week after the bye. But it all depends how we go ticking those boxes,” he said.

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Absolutely incredible.

KT31
09-05-2019, 12:00 PM
MORRIS ON BRINK OF ANOTHER MIRACLE RECOVERY (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-may-9-2019/live-coverage/a7d8ef69975c4f8f3866fa326fc6e007)
By Tim Michell

Veteran Western Bulldogs defender Dale Morris could return to football in the next month after initial fears a knee injury could rule him out for the season.

Morris, who suffered an ACL tear at training in March, has targeted the bye rounds for his comeback – about three months after injuring his knee.

“I had some scans last week and saw the specialist David Young and got the big tick of approval from him,” Morris said on AFL tonight.

“Now it’s onwards and upwards. I started running again which is just great and now slowly progressing, ticking boxes to get back out there.”

The 36-year-old has proven his incredible recuperative powers before, returning to training less than three months after suffering a partial ACL tear last year.

“I have just got to concentrate on progressing through, ticking the boxes as I go,” Morris said.

“Hopefully there’s no setbacks. I need to reload all the joints, the muscles and get back and going again.”

Morris said he was mindful not to target a specific round for his return due to the level of rehabilitation still required to strengthen his knee.

“Around the bye, maybe the week after the bye. But it all depends how we go ticking those boxes,” he said.

Amazing.
I've said it before and I will say it again, the man is a legend and a bloody freak.
I'm wouldn't be surprised if he had a natural defence mechanism that during a chicken wing tackle he could drop an arm and regrow it during the half time break.

GVGjr
09-05-2019, 12:08 PM
I mentioned a while ago that you just don't bet against Morris not only playing this year but maybe even next.

Murphy'sLore
09-05-2019, 12:27 PM
Who needs Thor, we have our own superhero!

comrade
09-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Who needs Thor, we have our own superhero!

More like Wolverine.

bulldogtragic
09-05-2019, 01:46 PM
We need him to have 30 sons.

comrade
09-05-2019, 02:51 PM
I hope he never leaves the club. Bulldog personified.

bornadog
09-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Brilliant News!!

DOG GOD
09-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Absolutely incredible. A freak of nature.

AshMac
09-05-2019, 06:36 PM
If you *really* want to get well Dale why not drink broth from the bones of the forwards you've vanquished over the years?

Brilliant!

westdog54
09-05-2019, 07:52 PM
Freak. Of. Nature.

I honestly thought we'd never see a recovery from an ACL tear quite the likes of Libba Snr's in 1998.

Then Dale Morris says "Hold my bone broth..."

What a blessing he's been for our club.

Bulldog Revolution
09-05-2019, 11:43 PM
I mentioned a while ago that you just don't bet against Morris not only playing this year but maybe even next.

You'd have to think that his professionalism would have an impact on our younger players

The Bulldogs Bite
10-05-2019, 12:03 AM
Remarkable.

This guy is going down as an all time great - almost unrivalled.

Ghost Dog
10-05-2019, 01:58 AM
Mutant healing factor.

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Whoa! Is anyone else watching The Sunday Footy Show? Dale Morris is being interviewed and they showed some of the treatment that Dale is receiving on his knee and the manipulation on his knee. I wouldn't want someone doing that to my knee, especially if it was broken already. It's not just onfield that footballers are brave.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2019, 11:56 AM
I'm sure Dale wants to play on. But he's played just 22 games out of the last 56 games (2.5 seasons). Immediately before that he was playing with a broken back. He's a hero, he's a warrior but I don't see giving him another year is the best decision (he'll be 38 next year with a badly banged up body and a lot of games missed to injury).

Twodogs
16-06-2019, 12:13 PM
I'm sure Dale wants to play on. But he's played just 22 games out of the last 56 games (2.5 seasons). Immediately before that he was playing with a broken back. He's a hero, he's a warrior but I don't see giving him another year is the best decision (he'll be 38 next year with a badly banged up body and a lot of games missed to injury).

Dale says that because he didnt have the latest knee injury operated on that means the trauma that the operation would otherwise have caused isn't there so he is confident of playing until he is 40-he may have said that with his tongue in his cheek because the other panelists started to carry on when he said it and they didn't follow up if he was serious or not. Although Dale Morris doesn't strike me as somebody who kids around about stuff like that.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Dale says that because he didnt have the latest knee injury operated on that means the trauma that the operation would otherwise have caused isn't there so he is confident of playing until he is 40-he may have said that with his tongue in his cheek because the other panelists started to carry on when he said it and they didn't follow up if he was serious or not. Although Dale Morris doesn't strike me as somebody who kids around about stuff like that.

He was on a panel at the end of 2015 ar an event. He said he was hoping for 3, maybe 4 years if he didn't start getting regular injuries or 'old man injuries' (calves etc). That takes him to the end of this season. I think it's time, but if anyone in the club's history deserves a season too long for their service, it's Dale.

Bulldog4life
16-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't it be great if he never retired. Just kept on playing.

Hotdog60
16-06-2019, 05:00 PM
Yeah, do you get a free kick against if you use a Zimmer frame to spoil.

Danjul
16-06-2019, 05:04 PM
Suspecting that new and old injuries will come back to haunt him, I don’t want him playing lots of games.

bulldogtragic
26-08-2019, 08:25 PM
#DoItForDale

Must be really tough for Dale on one level to see finals without him. But you just know no one will see any disappointment, just 110% support and encouragement for the team and young defenders in Cordy & Young.

SonofScray
26-08-2019, 08:47 PM
Knee injuries to beloved Bulldog veterans in season are the blood sacrifice required such that a flag may wag. Thanks Moz.

The Adelaide Connection
27-08-2019, 07:59 PM
#DoItForDale

Must be really tough for Dale on one level to see finals without him. But you just know no one will see any disappointment, just 110% support and encouragement for the team and young defenders in Cordy & Young.

Have you put a line through him? I don't think you have carefully thought this through.

#terminator

ledge
27-08-2019, 09:02 PM
He did play in the last one and I think that will always be the most important one so it’s not like he missed out.

Raw Toast
28-08-2019, 07:44 PM
He did play in the last one and I think that will always be the most important one so it’s not like he missed out.

He was bog in that game for mine.