PDA

View Full Version : OK. I'm ready for the games to start now.

mjp
18-03-2019, 11:17 AM
I am probably in the minority but I am 100% READY for the footy now.

AFLW has been good this year and is a great primer. The girls don't want me to say that (I know) and I don't really mean it that way...I have watched maybe 20x games of AFLW this year and have been really enjoying it - BUT what it really did was give me a 'footy fix' a month or so early. Our girls had a disappointing back end of the season (to be expected I think) and finishing up yesterday with a pretty brave effort was actually perfect...

The AFL-X was publicity and fun...and made me look forward to the JLT.

2x rounds of pre-season games is just about right...I am so glad the bad old days of 4x games and pre-season finals etc are done with.

The week off before the season has me really eager for it all to just START.

We will beat the Swans this week and have a great early season (well - 14x rounds!!!) draw...this is gonna be GREAT!

Mofra
18-03-2019, 11:21 AM
I admire your enthusiasm M, I'm looking forward (albeit with some trepidation) at how we structure up in our first game and obviously all eyes are on our talls.

Do we play Naughton forward or back?
Schache from the square or more CHF?
Do we play two rucks or one?

hujsh
18-03-2019, 11:27 AM
If we beat the Swans I'll be right there with you.

I'm feeling a little down on footy and need something positive to pick me back up

Mantis
18-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Pre JLT I was really excited to see where we would fit in, I thought our back end to 2018 were reasonably good given the make-up of our team and after what was reported as being a positive pre-season I was feeling positive... but our performances in those games has reduced my excitement levels a little, perhaps I've placed too much emphasis on glorified practice games, but they are what they are and I expected more.

Then post this it feels like it's been injury after injury (Dale's injurt hurts), a shitty jumper rolled out and all in all I'm a little flat.

Hoping we pick a team which passes my 'eye test' and I look forward to seeing how we shape up in a very winnable game.

GVGjr
18-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Really excited at the moment but will be even more so come Thursday nights team selection.
I like our chances against the Swans and overall I think we have a good draw

No excuses for injuries, experience or anything else from my perspective. I'm looking forward to catching up with other members as well

mjp
18-03-2019, 11:42 AM
Hoping we pick a team which passes my 'eye test' and I look forward to seeing how we shape up in a very winnable game.

LOL. Some of the teams I thought the LEAST OF in the Bevo era turned out to be winners...I am not going to be knocked down no matter what team is named to play the Swans.

Mantis
18-03-2019, 11:46 AM
LOL. Some of the teams I thought the LEAST OF in the Bevo era turned out to be winners...I am not going to be knocked down no matter what team is named to play the Swans.

#inbevowetrust

I'll be really disappointed if we select Hayes.. which I feel we will do.

Greystache
18-03-2019, 11:53 AM
I admire your enthusiasm MJP but personally I wish the start of the season was 3 months away. All signs point to a long and painful year with very little to get excited about. My son is turning 3 later in the season and is starting to show some enthusiasm for football so I suspect I'm going to have to pretend be enthusiastic about it with him. I'm expecting to see a lot of games where we only kick 8 goals for the match and many scoreless quarters.

Happy Days
18-03-2019, 12:01 PM
#inbevowetrust

With you on that. Don't see what he brings to the side at all.

bornadog
18-03-2019, 12:33 PM
I am with you all the way MJP I can't wait to walk up to Marvel this week and watch the boys run out. Like you I have had some footy fix with AFLW, AFLX was a minor distraction, watched a bit of JLT (but I was away anyway, so missed the most of it). JLT is a training run and a chance to tweak somethings, but very little enthusiasm or emotion from me.

The build up starts from tomorrow, with open training, then Thursday we have team selection, Friday maybe a press conference and finally Saturday. Bring it on.

comrade
18-03-2019, 12:38 PM
I honestly wish I felt like you do, mjp.

The Pie Man
18-03-2019, 12:48 PM
I'm ready for the season to start like I'm always ready for a performance review - can we get this out of the way so I can stop stressing about it? You never know, it might be positive, but the worrying sucks.

Even if it is bad, at least you know when you know.....

mjp
18-03-2019, 12:53 PM
#inbevowetrust

Why? He is 23, has played some good VFL footy and is ready to go. If we don't play him, why did we get him?

Our wins and losses aren't coming from the likes of Hayes...they are coming from Bont!

Mofra
18-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Why? He is 23, has played some good VFL footy and is ready to go. If we don't play him, why did we get him?
Honestly, his skill levels by foot were poor in both JLT games. I'm concerned he the classic type who plays well at VFL level but struggles to make the step up (e.g. Webb).
We have to play guys on form.

Rocket Science
18-03-2019, 01:30 PM
I am probably in the minority but I am 100% READY for the footy now.

AFLW has been good this year and is a great primer. The girls don't want me to say that (I know) and I don't really mean it that way...I have watched maybe 20x games of AFLW this year and have been really enjoying it - BUT what it really did was give me a 'footy fix' a month or so early. Our girls had a disappointing back end of the season (to be expected I think) and finishing up yesterday with a pretty brave effort was actually perfect...

The AFL-X was publicity and fun...and made me look forward to the JLT.

2x rounds of pre-season games is just about right...I am so glad the bad old days of 4x games and pre-season finals etc are done with.

The week off before the season has me really eager for it all to just START.

We will beat the Swans this week and have a great early season (well - 14x rounds!!!) draw...this is gonna be GREAT!

That's nice. I give that feeling about a month.

The prospect of a new season usually buoys the spirits but nothing we've done between the end of the last one and the start of the next inspires much confidence. Any lineup you throw onto paper looks full of deficiencies; lacking structure, speed, skill and experience. Can we eek by on competitiveness?

Perhaps the eye deceives and Bevo can orchestrate a bit of magic but another 'developmental year' looms I fear where any joy found is more likely to lay in the individual progress of a small handful.

I'd relish nothing more than being horribly wrong.

mjp
18-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Honestly, his skill levels by foot were poor in both JLT games. I'm concerned he the classic type who plays well at VFL level but struggles to make the step up (e.g. Webb).
We have to play guys on form.

He hasn't played a single game yet...

Can we at least give him a go? Has certainly put in a tonne of effort to get this far...

Eastdog
18-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Yeah looking forward to the season again but yes I’m a little less enthusiastic in how will go this year. Will be great going back to Marvel again to catch up with the Bulldogs people again who sit around me.

G-Mo77
18-03-2019, 02:02 PM
I admire your enthusiasm MJP but personally I wish the start of the season was 3 months away. All signs point to a long and painful year with very little to get excited about. My son is turning 3 later in the season and is starting to show some enthusiasm for football so I suspect I'm going to have to pretend be enthusiastic about it with him. I'm expecting to see a lot of games where we only kick 8 goals for the match and many scoreless quarters.

My son had just turned 3 when we won the Grand Final, he sat with me during the PF and watched on TV and I managed to get home in time before he went to sleep on GF day to tell him all about it. I got a dream start with him. I've also been pretty lucky to take him to games we've actually played well and won after 2016. Good luck mate, use the mascots to your advantage, kids love them and Caeser.

MrMahatma
18-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Bring it on. It’s gonna be great.

We have so much talent on our list. Reckon we’re only accuracy in front of goal from playing finals.

I hope Smith gets early games, Lloyd gets on the board early, the mids honour Schache’s leads, Libba brings back some agro.

So excited! I stupidly agreed to go to Lions v WC on Sat night so will be watching the first half at the Pineapple Hotel then the rest on my phone from the Gabba.

Go Dogs!

Axe Man
18-03-2019, 03:52 PM

You're lucky, my son turns 3 next month and couldn't care less about footy. I expect he will be demanding I turn the footy over to Paw Patrol this season, hopefully we aren't playing poorly enough for me to give in to his demands.

SonofScray
18-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Flat as a tack.

I feigned excitement and spun myself a narrative similar to last preseason. But on what I've seen, the team aren't going to be good enough, often enough, to do anything meaningful. I'm really concerned about the coaching group. AFLW season never got motoring and subjected me to the same frustrations as the men's team, wasted chances.

Then the kick in the guts jumper scenario. It's as flat/disinterested as I've ever been.

GVGjr
18-03-2019, 09:21 PM
Flat as a tack.

I feigned excitement and spun myself a narrative similar to last preseason. But on what I've seen, the team aren't going to be good enough, often enough, to do anything meaningful. I'm really concerned about the coaching group. AFLW season never got motoring and subjected me to the same frustrations as the men's team, wasted chances.

Then the kick in the guts jumper scenario. It's as flat/disinterested as I've ever been.

I'm tipping you will get it back soon though, a couple of early wins will get the blood pumping :)

S Coast Simon
18-03-2019, 09:33 PM
It’s exciting no mater what has happened. It’s footy season again. Will be an interesting team on Thursday I hope we stick with favoured positions and don’t experiment to much. Give Hayes a break he has played two games at a higher speed and got his hands on it and ran to the right places. Sure he didn’t dispose of it the best but there were plenty of mistakes from seasoned professionals as well. It’s great to win a few practice matches but really how much do they really mean.

I am am a bit excited to see what our boys can do with the new format. Like someone said earlier we are a few straighter shots on goal from getting back to the finals. This format is for skilled players and I think we have a lot that might go alright.

GO DOGGIES

Hotdog60
18-03-2019, 09:44 PM
I always get excited for the start of the season so much so I've been watching the odd quarter here and there from last year just to get a fix.
If the season goes pear shape I will flatten out by seasons end but while there is a chance to play finals I'm in boots an' all.

Go Dogs....

Happy Days
18-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Should mention that I'm super excited for the season to start too, rather than just hitting a drive-by on poor Will Hayes. We were fun as hell to end the season last year and no amount of poor pre-season footy is going to make me forget good actual real football. I'm confident we'll be better than advertised this year.

Plus footy is pretty much the best thing ever so even if we suck it'll still be awesome to not have to deal with life for a few hours on the weekend again.

josie
19-03-2019, 12:27 AM
Give Hayes a go please. If we are going to read into preseason matches I was not happy with Dunkley whose kicking and application IMO was way worse than Hayes. I think Hayes might need a bit of time to adjust but is a better kick, reasonably quick and has footy smarts more than some are thinking. Some I recall were a bit ho hum early on about Crozier and he has been a damn good pickup.

I am really looking forward to seeing Lloyd as I think we will be really happy with that trade. And when Bailey Smith plays that will be exciting too. Plus Williams, Naughton, Greene, Richards,McLean, Schache etc. ....so many young ones to enjoy watching their development.

Really do not know how we will go this year however until real season starts who knows? Wish it was Saturday already. Go Dogs!!

Mofra
19-03-2019, 10:49 AM
He hasn't played a single game yet...

Can we at least give him a go? Has certainly put in a tonne of effort to get this far...
Of course he has and good luck to him, I'm not against Hayes playing this year.
I simply don't believe anyone should be gifted games simply because they have been drafted as a mature aged player and right now I don't have him in my best 22 based on what we've sen in the JLT which is the closest thing we have to exposed form for our list.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2019, 09:00 PM
I’m pretty excited.

Our midfield will bully sides.

Naughton, Schache and Bont up front is a triple threat.

Despite it being terrible for Moz to get injured on the eve of the season, I think we’ll have a better balance down back.

The Swans are a good side, but they are also our bunny. We’ve created momentum and celebrated many of our best wins of the Bevo era against them.

We have Bont.

AshMac
19-03-2019, 09:34 PM
My son had just turned 3 when we won the Grand Final, he sat with me during the PF and watched on TV and I managed to get home in time before he went to sleep on GF day to tell him all about it. I got a dream start with him. I've also been pretty lucky to take him to games we've actually played well and won after 2016. Good luck mate, use the mascots to your advantage, kids love them and Caeser.

My son turned 4 a week ago and is already looking forward to the season - though I don’t think he knows exactly what it is. I took him to 4-5 afternoon games last year and he loved it though we’re working on cheering for only one team. He sang the whole theme song in the car to kinder last week and I almost shed a tear :)

I wouldn’t worry about them deviating from your team if you’re a footy fan. I grew up inner north and never though about another team. I always think - you never choose the bulldogs, you inherit them.

bornadog
19-03-2019, 11:19 PM
I’m pretty excited.

Our midfield will bully sides.

Naughton, Schache and Bont up front is a triple threat.

Despite it being terrible for Moz to get injured on the eve of the season, I think we’ll have a better balance down back.

The Swans are a good side, but they are also our bunny. We’ve created momentum and celebrated many of our best wins of the Bevo era against them.

We have Bont.

Yeah we through away the game last year when there was a goal in it. Dunkley sitting in the goal square and as the ball was going to land in his arms, he was already off to kick the goal and fluffed it.

Should be another close one.

Mofra
20-03-2019, 11:49 AM
Is it a little strange that I want to be able to say I attended the game Bailey Smith made his debut?

I missed Moz's debut/Granty's 300th. A friend (rudely) decided to get married that night and I attended the wedding. Little did we know that in paying tribute to a Bulldogs legend in his milestone game we'd be seeing the debut of another legend.

And yes, I do think Moz will be considered a Bulldogs legend when he retires. It's not just "that tackle" - it is rarely mentioned but he was second in our B&F in 2016, and I don't think any player in our history has - twice - played finals with fractures (2009 & 2016).

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Is it a little strange that I want to be able to say I attended the game Bailey Smith made his debut?

I missed Moz's debut/Granty's 300th. A friend (rudely) decided to get married that night and I attended the wedding. Little did we know that in paying tribute to a Bulldogs legend in his milestone game we'd be seeing the debut of another legend.

And yes, I do think Moz will be considered a Bulldogs legend when he retires. It's not just "that tackle" - it is rarely mentioned but he was second in our B&F in 2016, and I don't think any player in our history has - twice - played finals with fractures (2009 & 2016).
Highly respected Orthapedic Surgeon, David Young, who treats Elite sportspeople across many sports and looks after Moz, claims that he has never seen anyone with the capacity of Moz to overcome and endure pain like he does. He is an outstanding individual and we have been blessed to have him at the WB.

AshMac
21-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Highly respected Orthapedic Surgeon, David Young, who treats Elite sportspeople across many sports and looks after Moz, claims that he has never seen anyone with the capacity of Moz to overcome and endure pain like he does. He is an outstanding individual and we have been blessed to have him at the WB.

Lots of comparisons between him and the terminator - really he’s just like wolverine

bornadog
23-03-2019, 12:26 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/67ThAljKKaHiPHtNIL/200w.webp

SonofScray
23-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Still not pumped, but I intend to document going to the footy this season. Still waiting on a few bits and bobs to arrive in the post but I might have a crack at a short weekly video. Was half interested in a podcast, but a vlog might stretch my skills a bit more. If I am happy with things I'll share it.

Segments will include a weekly addition to my Obscure Bulldogs 22, game reaction, votes and different fans signing off with "there's always next week" for a loss and "we stuck it up em" for a win.

comrade
23-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Still not pumped, but I intend to document going to the footy this season. Still waiting on a few bits and bobs to arrive in the post but I might have a crack at a short weekly video. Was half interested in a podcast, but a vlog might stretch my skills a bit more. If I am happy with things I'll share it.

Segments will include a weekly addition to my Obscure Bulldogs 22, game reaction, votes and different fans signing off with "there's always next week" for a loss and "we stuck it up em" for a win.

Love a good vlog

hujsh
23-03-2019, 10:59 PM
I'll admit the first half was fun (2nd half stressful)