PDA

View Full Version : Game Day AFL Round #1 2019

GVGjr
21-03-2019, 07:57 PM
All non Bulldog match day discussions

GVGjr
21-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Richmond have to beat Carlton tonight don't they?

I'm interested in seeing how Lynch goes in front of a big crowd

Rocket Science
21-03-2019, 08:31 PM
We're five minutes into season 2019 and decided I'm going to order a year's supply of bulk throat lozenges if the umpiring continues in this vein.

Riewoldt and Rance getting looked after.

ledge
21-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Carlton look worse than last year ,their fumbling is atrocious.
The no runners rule during play combined with the 6-6-6 rule is going to open up a lot of hidings as you will not be able to stop the flow once a team gets a run on.

Vred
21-03-2019, 09:45 PM
We're five minutes into season 2019 and decided I'm going to order a year's supply of bulk throat lozenges if the umpiring continues in this vein.

Riewoldt and Rance getting looked after.

couldnt agree more

Umpiring tonight is an actual joke.

Eastdog
21-03-2019, 10:20 PM
This thread should be merged with the 2019 AFL premiership season thread.

comrade
21-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Rance has gone down with what looks like a pretty serious knee injury. Massive problem for the Tigers.

divvydan
21-03-2019, 11:46 PM
Initial signs suggest an ACL. Would mean season over for him and anyone who isn't named Dale Morris.

Sedat
21-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Rance has gone down with what looks like a pretty serious knee injury. Massive problem for the Tigers.
He should be right to go for AFLX

ledge
22-03-2019, 05:32 AM
I think he is well over rated and will be covered easily, he is just a stock backman who has been in the caper a long time so knows his drill.
As long as you have another tall Backman to cover him it won’t be an issue. I think it’s the way their whole backline works together makes him look better.
Can’t see it affecting them much, they still pulled away on the scoreboard when he went off the ground.

EasternWest
22-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Mixed emotions watching Collingwood v Geelong tonight.

Dahlhaus might have ultimately turned out to be a bit of a shit bloke but he bled for us up to 2017. Even still, I didn't feel anything really watching him run out with Geelong.

Roughy on the other hand was a bit of a gut punch.

hujsh
22-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Roughy is making Hawkins look quick though...

Sedat
22-03-2019, 10:03 PM
Dahlhaus might have ultimately turned out to be a bit of a shit bloke but he bled for us up to 2017. Even still, I didn't feel anything really watching him run out with Geelong.
Going on tonight's performance he should change his name to Shithaus

G-Mo77
22-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Roughy and Dahl on opposing teams in different colours makes me sad.

EasternWest
22-03-2019, 10:23 PM
Roughy is making Hawkins look quick though...

Oh yeah, it was time for him to go. I don't have any problem with that decision from a football sense.

Sedat
22-03-2019, 10:38 PM
BT just said Dahl wouldn't be used to playing in front of such a big crowd. Lol, what a typical ch.7 dickhead - he only played in front of 100k in the GF

SonofScray
22-03-2019, 10:39 PM
BT just said Dahl wouldn't be used to playing in front of such a big crowd. Lol, what a typical ch.7 dickhead - he only played in front of 100k in the GF

Came here to say the same thing. What a flog.

Grantysghost
22-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Came here to say the same thing. What a flog.

All plays into the big club narrative they want to push. Disgusting really. Of course Luke is having a night out....

Sedat
22-03-2019, 11:35 PM
All plays into the big club narrative they want to push. Disgusting really. Of course Luke is having a night out....
Dahl was ordinary, save for a decent 5 min patch in the 3rd qtr.

Dangerfield 8 turnovers but watch all the meeedya scribes fap themselves over his game.

GVGjr
22-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Scrappy game but a decent one to watch given how close it was.

I'd like our chances against both of them

bornadog
22-03-2019, 11:56 PM
We complain about the woeful kicking by our players, tonight both teams were really pathetic. The number of players running towards goal and spraying the ball out on the full was ridiculous to say the least.

MrMahatma
23-03-2019, 12:08 AM
We complain about the woeful kicking by our players, tonight both teams were really pathetic. The number of players running towards goal and spraying the ball out on the full was ridiculous to say the least.

Totally agree. Was my biggest take out.

That, and after 2 matches no team has scored 100 and only 1 of 4 teams scored over 80. 6,6,6 rule seems much ado about nothing early.

mjp
23-03-2019, 09:10 AM

You guys are harsh. A few poor misses but a good game and really hard fought...supporters of both sides would be pretty happy with the commitment to the contest. Both forward lines battled but that's OK.

When you watch teams like the Pies - one of the fancies - hopefully everyone understands why we should be so hopeful about our own chances this season...our midfield just bats so deep - they really would have a hard time countering us and are as 'deep' as anyone else in the league.

I thought Kelly was amazing. West Coast might already be regretting not coughing up the 2x 1st round picks to Geelong because their time is now and man-o-man is he good!

Go_Dogs
23-03-2019, 09:18 AM
I went along last night and enjoyed the game from a neutral perspective - not the most skilful game but it was a hard fought contest.

Agree on the observations the 666 rule doesn't appear to be making the game more high-scoring, at least not yet - it may change over the season as players get fatigued and space opens up.

The Adelaide Connection
23-03-2019, 10:38 AM

I went along last night and I have never seen both sets of fans melting down about their own team quite like this game. The skill level and decision making was really poor across both teams, for most of the match. They will likely get their shit together, but this looked like a battle of 17th and 18th.
The fact that it was close and that we weren’t one of the two teams involved kept it entertaining. It actually made me feel better about tonight- surely no team could be as bad as these two? ;)

Bulldog4life
23-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Enjoyed the first 2 rounds. Football was a bit scrappy at times but it is the first round. Thought both Dal and Roughy were both just ok.

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 11:20 AM
I went along last night and enjoyed the game from a neutral perspective - not the most skilful game but it was a hard fought contest.

Agree on the observations the 666 rule doesn't appear to be making the game more high-scoring, at least not yet - it may change over the season as players get fatigued and space opens up.

It's going to take a little while for it all to settle in but there was a heavy drop of rain before the game last night so a scrappy encounter was somewhat to be expected.

I think the 666 rule will be a good one

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 11:23 AM
You guys are harsh. A few poor misses but a good game and really hard fought...supporters of both sides would be pretty happy with the commitment to the contest. Both forward lines battled but that's OK.

When you watch teams like the Pies - one of the fancies - hopefully everyone understands why we should be so hopeful about our own chances this season...our midfield just bats so deep - they really would have a hard time countering us and are as 'deep' as anyone else in the league.

I thought Kelly was amazing. West Coast might already be regretting not coughing up the 2x 1st round picks to Geelong because their time is now and man-o-man is he good!

I can see late in games and perhaps even late in quarters we will start to get a move on with our scoring as our depth of midfield numbers comes into play

Kelly was excellent last night

I like how Geelong are able to introduce a number of newer players last night into their already very experienced side

kruder
23-03-2019, 12:45 PM
I went also and make no mistake it was all about territory still. Collingwood locked it in their half for pretty much the majority of the second quarter and failed to score, it really felt like watching the Dogs to be honest.

The 666 works well when there is a quick clearance its great to see one on one contest for what is only a short amount of time. If only we could see it for a little longer.

Even after the loss,Collingwood is the side to beat for mine they have so many weapons. Elliot and Moore if they can stay on the park will make a massive difference and they just need to make sure the mids get the balance right attack/defence wise.

Rocket Science
23-03-2019, 03:43 PM
Gee, Zak Butters looks rather handy for Port in his first game, and can use it by foot. Clever player.

bornadog
23-03-2019, 03:56 PM
It's going to take a little while for it all to settle in but there was a heavy drop of rain before the game last night so a scrappy encounter was somewhat to be expected.

I think the 666 rule will be a good one

Rain - it was hardly a drop??

bornadog
23-03-2019, 03:59 PM
It was a heavy drop. Been sunny for a while now

You said last night? I was on my Friday night walk around the Tan and it hardly even rained

bornadog
23-03-2019, 04:17 PM
POrt really taking it up to #aheadofourselves Dees

bornadog
23-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Snow season still a few months away :D

bulldogtragic
23-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Snow season still a few months away :D

Can't they leave now and just wait for the snow? :D

bornadog
23-03-2019, 05:11 PM
Watching this game in 4k, absolute brilliant picture. Unfortunately the rest of the games on Foxtel 444 are NRL

Rocket Science
23-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Deary me Dees. Few teams I'll be barracking harder against than you lot this year.

They're the new GWS.

Remi Moses
23-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Melbourne snow flakes
Getting ahead of themselves

Remi Moses
23-03-2019, 05:28 PM
The draft looks a winner for Port

hujsh
23-03-2019, 05:36 PM
I feel a bit bad since an interstater asked for help on his tips and they've both been wrong so far but I still enjoy Melbourne losing regardless

Flamethrower
23-03-2019, 08:16 PM
Not sure why everyone in the media was so bullish about the Crows - typical media lemmings - one suggests Adelaide are certainties to bounce back and finish top 4, and the rest blindly follow. Sorry, but the Crows haven't addressed their biggest weaknesses - slow midfield and an overrated forward line full of flat-track bullies. They'll beat up on lesser teams, but will be found wanting against the best, especially away from home.

hujsh
24-03-2019, 04:45 PM
It's always strange when for that 1 or 2 games a year I want to see GWS win against someone. I guess Essendon are really that good at making me despise them

azabob
24-03-2019, 06:15 PM
The GWS / Essendon result is very very similar to us round 1 last year.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 06:36 PM
I always feel bad for long suffering Essendon fans when they get flogged like this.

Wait, no I don't.

LostDoggy
24-03-2019, 06:36 PM
I don't want GWS to win, just for Essendon to lose :rolleyes:

bornadog
24-03-2019, 06:42 PM
The GWS / Essendon result is very very similar to us round 1 last year.

At least we kicked 7.9, Essendon aren't even trying. Worse team in the comp

Rocket Science
24-03-2019, 06:49 PM
I'd have settled for the Dons merely getting done.

I feel spoiled that they've been so embarrassingly bad in the process.

merantau
24-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Stringer looks really overweight and has played just as poorly as his team mates - 72 point drubbing. Hate the big percentage for GWS. Love the Injectors flogging - feeling conflicted.

comrade
24-03-2019, 07:04 PM
Stringer looks really overweight and has played just as poorly as his team mates - 72 point drubbing. Hate the big percentage for GWS. Love the Injectors flogging - feeling conflicted.

Must be overdoing the tofu.

The Adelaide Connection
24-03-2019, 07:24 PM
I can’t wait to get the kids in bed, make a cup of coffee, and get on the Bomberblitz forum to see the whole place imploding.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 07:26 PM
I can’t wait to get the kids in bed, make a cup of coffee, and get on the Bomberblitz forum to see the whole place imploding.

You sadist :D

hujsh
24-03-2019, 07:27 PM

I was assured Stinger was set to tear the comp apart after dominating that intra-club. Have I been lied to?

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Feel free to share some highlights with us.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 07:35 PM
GWS are going to be a tough team to beat again.

Their midfield and run is still in the top few teams.

Remi Moses
24-03-2019, 08:04 PM
I’m sure they’ll blame Mark Neeld or Caro or the afl .
Don’t worry folks the herald sun will still run with some bomber feel good stories

Sedat
24-03-2019, 08:15 PM
You're all missing the big picture - Essendon won trade week.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2019, 08:17 PM
You're all missing the big picture - Essendon won trade week.

Every year since trading was introduced. Amazing when you think of it. I'm in awe.

hujsh
24-03-2019, 09:25 PM
It's been a great weekend. So happy to have the footy back. Lots of upsets and most importantly we played a game with watching and won.

Mofra
24-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Teams run an average of 220-250kms per game these days.

GWS ran 221kms that game. Essendon 135km. That's not a typo. Combined, they covered 100kms less than your average AFL team today.

I haven;t enjoyed a non-Bulldogs result like that for a long time. Bombers are screwed. Plus they don't have a round 1 pick this year because they have already traded it away!

hujsh
24-03-2019, 09:37 PM
Teams run an average of 220-250kms per game these days.

GWS ran 221kms that game. Essendon 135km. That's not a typo. Combined, they covered 100kms less than your average AFL team today.

I haven;t enjoyed a non-Bulldogs result like that for a long time. Bombers are screwed. Plus they don't have a round 1 pick this year because they have already traded it away!

Both of those facts make me very happy. Though GWS having their 1st round pick (I imagine it went for Sheil) sours it a bit

KT31
24-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Freo dishing up a good old shellacking to North.

Mofra
24-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Both of those facts make me very happy. Though GWS having their 1st round pick (I imagine it went for Sheil) sours it a bit
Yeah, I wonder who Carlton will end up with in 2021?

Mofra
24-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Great career move Higgo...

KT31
24-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Great career move Higgo...

Speak of the Devil, just kicked a soft goal sitting out the back to make the stats look better.
82 points final margin, silver lining for North would be Bailey Scotts game.(wonder if he's regretting.not picking the Cats)

Sedat
24-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Norf topping up with Pittard, Hall, Polec (on 800k a year for 5 years!) and Dom Tyson is going to set them back in the long term.

Mofra
24-03-2019, 11:28 PM
Norf topping up with Pittard, Hall, Polec (on 800k a year for 5 years!) and Dom Tyson is going to set them back in the long term.
Who else are they paying? Polec is a decent pick up, really not sold on the others.

Their player development is abysmal. Who have they drafted in the past few years that has developed under their system? Luke McDonald was all the rage his draft year and looks like a plodder now. Jy Simpkin, LDU, etc etc.

That group look coached to within an inch of their life and they've been left with zero instinct. It's Bulldogs under B-Mac style.

macca
24-03-2019, 11:29 PM
Speak of the Devil, just kicked a soft goal sitting out the back to make the stats look better.
82 points final margin, silver lining for North would be Bailey Scotts game.(wonder if he's regretting.not picking the Cats)

He will be on big $$$ when his next contract comes up , and only around 21 years old . Just enough time to live out the 4/5 year contract when geelong come to help alleviate the salary cap or whatever euphemism dress up pitch for trade week. He will end up at geelong in his late 20s I predict . Can’t see north playing a granny in the next 5 years . Heaps of holes all over the ground. Macmillan one of their best today , where has he been in the past 5 years ?

Sedat
25-03-2019, 12:02 AM
Their player development is abysmal. Who have they drafted in the past few years that has developed under their system? Luke McDonald was all the rage his draft year and looks like a plodder now. Jy Simpkin, LDU, etc etc.

That group look coached to within an inch of their life and they've been left with zero instinct. It's Bulldogs under B-Mac style.
It was comical watching their lack of system moving the ball out of D50 under any sort of pressure tonight. They completely went to water, seemingly unable to think their way out of trouble.

Mofra
25-03-2019, 11:49 AM
It was comical watching their lack of system moving the ball out of D50 under any sort of pressure tonight. They completely went to water, seemingly unable to think their way out of trouble.
I remember the stark difference between B-Mac and Bevo.
It's easy to forget that almost every single player that enters the AFL system has been playing the game for years and has a certain level of natural feel for the game. Kill that and you kill what made those players such good junior prospects in the first place.

Can you imagine if we took Ed Richards and told him not to run and carry and play it safe? Naughton to punch from behind instead of going for his marks even as an 18 year old? The Bont to tone it down and play like a mortal?
From the outside looking in that seems like what North is doing.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2019, 03:06 PM
Sorry but I cannot resist. It's great to see Essendon doing miserably again this year.
There will come a day when they do a Richmond and get a final, no doubt AFL nepotism will see to that.
However, they continue to be the self-entitled bunch who consider themselves an AFL powerhouse by pure virtue of their team colours. I feel this is Karma for their attempts to 'science' their way to the top.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Must be overdoing the tofu.

That's funny in more ways than one. In Chinese 'eating tofu' means copping a feel. That's because at weddings you would give out free rice and tofu in the old days, and a lot of freeloaders would try to invite themselves. Eating Tofu = groping someone.

comrade
25-03-2019, 03:20 PM
That's funny in more ways than one. In Chinese 'eating tofu' means copping a feel. That's because at weddings you would give out free rice and tofu in the old days, and a lot of freeloaders would try to invite themselves. Eating Tofu = groping someone.

Haha classic.

Rocket Science
27-03-2019, 04:11 PM
https://i.ibb.co/fkTK2Hd/Gawn.png (https://ibb.co/K28QXWx)

https://i.ibb.co/5cJv5SK/JJ.png (https://ibb.co/WKRFcMV)

https://i.ibb.co/PMVyTBC/thinking-face.png (https://imgbb.com/)

The bulldog tragician
27-03-2019, 04:33 PM

Precious petals, aren't they?

bornadog
27-03-2019, 05:33 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2o6dDJU0AE2wfi.jpg