PDA

View Full Version : 3 Things I've learned Round 1 vs Swans 2019

GVGjr
23-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Hopefully you all know the drill,
3 things that you learned from our game against the Swans

ledge
23-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Naughton could be anything, Libba has still got it, 6,6,6 is a great idea , Sam lloyd is a great pick up.
Schache shows good signs, we are running and taking the game on.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2019, 11:14 PM
1. Naughton needs to be long term signed
2. Richards needs to be long term signed
3. Winning against good teams on prime time feels awfully good

1eyedog
23-03-2019, 11:17 PM
1. Aaron Naughton could be anything as a forward where have I heard that before. He doesn't look like he is going anywhere. In the rooms he was super pumped about the win.

2. Our ability to weather the storm. Wouldn't have happened last year, happened tonight. We tried everything to slow their momentum. We slowed the tempo well and I can't remember an end to end goal for them. They got onto a few at end but we made them work for it.

3. Libba, heart, soul, Bulldog.

FrediKanoute
23-03-2019, 11:29 PM
1. Naughton is every inch the marking leading forward we have been crying out for, a naturally gifted footballer;

2. Libba - give him the contract extension now. He bossed the midfield releasing Bont, McLean, Hunter, Daniel to create;

3. Intensity - if we bring this hard running intensity we can overcome most sides.

Vred
23-03-2019, 11:32 PM
1. Sign Libba for another 3 years
2. Sign Naughton for another 6 years
3. Sign Richards forever
4. Winning feels so good after everybody has written us off
5. We have something special building

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2019, 11:39 PM
1. Libba is back. It's a point of difference, when you have an out and out maniac at multiple contests for 4 Qtrs. He was the physical embodiment of an Exocet missile tonight.
2. Naughton is a game changer. A rarity. We have to lock that up long-term NOW. Freo and WC will come calling....and 15 other clubs
3. Schache still has a lot of work to do to meet his expectations as a number 2 pick. He needs to lift intensity, and do the basics brilliantly.

AndrewP6
24-03-2019, 12:11 AM
1. We are very different with Libba back on deck.
2. The new #6 looks better than the old one (not Johnno or Charlie :))
3. The recruiting/list management for this season was well done. They've all added something.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 12:16 AM
1. Umpires need to learn the basic rules like holding the man, incorrect disposal and forget the BS introduced by Hocking and Gilligan

2. We have a top midfield that will dominate this year - Macrae, Libba, Bont, Wallis all were brilliant.

3. We need two Naughtons

westdog54
24-03-2019, 12:27 AM
1. Astute trades are better value than landing a 'big fish'. Duryea and Lloyd earned their keep.
2. The 6 6 6 rule is a winner. As in it helped us win the game in the dying minutes.
3. The coach knows better than all of us.

G-Mo77
24-03-2019, 12:32 AM
3. Winning against good teams on prime time feels awfully good

This. We've lost out or way and lost a lot of prime time slots because of how poorly we've performed. It's good to get one on the board with everyone watching.

Mitcha
24-03-2019, 10:29 AM
1. Aaron Naughton has the potential to be a 40/50 goal a season forward if we shore up the defensive end to allow him to play out the season at the pointy end, offers us a target and a contest at every forward fifty entry.
2. We are a much better side when we get the kick to handball ratio right as we did last night.
3. We smashed the Swans inside and out ran them outside. Good mix of contested and uncontested footy. We never seem to have an issue getting the ball inside fifty but last night gave me confidence that we had the tall marking option deep when available but also showed we were able to lower the eyes well to a hit up forward when the opportunity arose.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 11:43 AM
1. Astute trades are better value than landing a 'big fish'. Duryea and Lloyd earned their keep.

There was plenty of hand wringing over those trades but I never got it. Two solid citizens that made our team instantly, incrementally better. You can't land a star with every trade, but if you can make improvements then you do it.

RoZDog
24-03-2019, 11:51 AM
1. Naughto could be our generation version of Chris Grant (if only we had two)
2. Bit worried about Dickson’s mileage, injuries last year have potentially cost him some power in his kicks.
3. Daniel can compete in the air.

angelopetraglia
24-03-2019, 01:32 PM
1. Lloyd is better than I thought. Involved in both sealers. Made the massive tackle to spill the ball that ended up with Toby hitting up the Bont for the first. The last goal of the game. Just brilliant from Lloyd. Made the tackle. Got straight up for the 2nd effort. Hit the contest at speed and then knew where the goals were. Just massive.

2. Every single time Naughton had a run at the footy he looked like he was going to mark it. Just a natural footballer with an uncanny sense to read the ball in flight. He is going to be a star.

3. Caleb Daniel's composure and confidence with the ball in hand has grown again. Just tremendous. Creates so much for us.

comrade
24-03-2019, 01:49 PM
1. Naughton is what I’d hoped Boyd would be
2. If you got a stat for niggling the opposition, Libba wins the Brownlow in a canter. Elite.
3. Lloyd has something. That tackle from Buddy could have derailed him but he was critical in the dying moments.

Happy Days
24-03-2019, 01:55 PM
1. We walk taller with Libba in the side. He will talk shit to absolutely anybody and it's been sorely missed

2. Dickson's range is 40m at the absolute most now. Might be a bit premature but the injuries look to have taken their toll.

3. Duryea has a one wood. Knew his kicking was a feature but did not know he could flush them like that.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2019, 02:06 PM
1. We actually have a tall forward now at the Western Bulldogs. Praise the baby jesus.
2. The 666 rule is going to cause a bit of strife if you want to swing players around in a hurry.
3. Our field kicking seems to have improved a bit.

Doc26
24-03-2019, 02:08 PM
1. What a difference Libba makes around the stoppages. 8 clearances from a guy in his first game back from his second ACL.
His true impact is only recognised by those who follow this Club.

2. Champion Data’s player ranking metrics are simply comical.
Libba with a total of 75 ranking points placed him in the bottom 50% across the 44 players on the night.

3. Our midfield and high forwards controlled the play for the greater part of the night. Our work from in and out the stoppages proving the difference.

4. Our true test will come when we face an opponent with an effective, pacy midfield who can utilise its key forwards.
Sydney’s midfield look a mile off it.

merantau
24-03-2019, 02:14 PM
1.Duryea is a beautiful kick. That goal was a thing of beauty.
2. Libba is a weapon
3. Caleb Daniel is a superbly balanced footballer. He has tremendous vision in tight situations and makes good decisions under pressure.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2019, 02:15 PM
1. What a difference Libba makes around the stoppages. 8 clearances from a guy in his first game back from his second ACL.
His true impact is only recognised by those who follow this Club.

2. Champion Data’s player ranking metrics are simply comical.
Libba with a total of 75 ranking points placed him in the bottom 50% across the 44 players on the night.

3. Our midfield and high forwards controlled the play for the greater part of the night. Our work from in and out the stoppages proving the difference.

4. Our true test will come when we face an opponent with an effective, pacy midfield who can utilise its key forwards.
Sydney’s midfield look a mile off it.

Some really good points there about stats. I like point 4 as well. Really was the ultimate confidence building game. But we can't play a defence like that every week, and when we do it puts huge pressure on our midfield.

whythelongface
24-03-2019, 02:27 PM
1. Wood is great at marshalling the troops. Fantastic team defence last night.

2. I had my reservations about Naughton being a swingman. How wrong I was. Love the faith that the coaches have in Naughton at such a young age - particularly switching him back to defense when we were under intense pressure.

3. Lloyd could end up being the bargain trade of the year. Love what he brings both in experience and in footy smarts. Great debut.

StanleyD
24-03-2019, 02:52 PM
1. Seeing Libba play is fantastic, he needs a contract extension now.
2. We look bigger and stronger this year.
3. Fabulous to see the contested possessions under pressure.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 03:29 PM
1. Wood is great at marshalling the troops. Fantastic team defence last night.

Yes he was good wasn't he.

I also liked the way when the Swans got within 4 points, Duryea called all the backman together to have a little chat - great leadership and experience.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2019, 04:10 PM
1. We had ten left footers who with the exception of Lachie Hunter are great kicks.
2. Caleb Daniel has short legs relative to his short height which help his balance, turning circle and add humour to his dancing around big bastards. He can spoil in the air which defies physics.
3.Bailey Smith reminded me of the first year Adam Cooney who just ran around with the herd, keeping close to the ball without owning it almost spectating. Good signs for when he decides the ball belongs to him. He trusted the low expectation on him of just enjoying his debut.
4. Libba still has it despite two knee reco's.Bevo still has it.
5. We could beat anyone in the comp with that style of game.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 04:18 PM
2. Caleb Daniel has short legs relative to his short height which help his balance, turning circle and add humour to his dancing around big bastards. He can spoil in the air which defies physics.

Daniel has learnt to have an impact with his body when making a contest in the air. He's probably not going to knock many balls free with his fists, but he's very good at unbalancing the opponent without giving a free away.

Happy Days
24-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Daniel has learnt to have an impact with his body when making a contest in the air. He's probably not going to knock many balls free with his fists, but he's very good at unbalancing the opponent without giving a free away.

It makes a lot of sense that he's good at this - spoiling is pretty much all hand-eye coordination and timing which are very much two of Caleb's strong suits.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 05:02 PM
It makes a lot of sense that he's good at this - spoiling is pretty much all hand-eye coordination and timing which are very much two of Caleb's strong suits.

You know HD, with your wry wit I am disappointed you missed the setup and didn't make reference to Daniel's height and knocking balls free with his fists. Surprised and disappointed if I'm honest.

azabob
24-03-2019, 06:27 PM
You know HD, with your wry wit I am disappointed you missed the setup and didn't make reference to Daniel's height and knocking balls free with his fists. Surprised and disappointed if I'm honest.

Gee EW that’s a bit below the belt isn’t it?

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 06:35 PM
Gee EW that’s a bit below the belt isn’t it?

That's more like it.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2019, 07:05 PM
1st. We are a far better side when we play all players in their best posistions

2nd. The handball club has came back over the preseason

3rd. We could easily be six wins no losses by Easter

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 07:23 PM
1. If you win the ball and move it with dare and run you win games. It's a simple game.

2. Lloyd is a handy player. Seems a great fit for our group.

3. Naughty may be the best player on our list. When we selected him (a key defender with a suspect kicking action) I wasn't convinced it was right given we had about 10 key defenders at that stage. Now the pick is a master stroke (it was pretty bloody good last year too). He's a potential generational forward and he will make Schache a much better player.

Remi Moses
24-03-2019, 08:08 PM
1- Naughton reminds me of Peter Foster ( what a star )
2- Great resolve Among the group
3 - I thought all the recruits had an impact

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2019, 08:10 PM
1. Duryea can offer us something - thought he showed a bit. No world beater but a solid contributor which is what we got him for.

2. Naughton's rise is emphatic right now and he makes players better around him. He'll be very good for Schache. Worth noting he pantsed some good players in Melican and Grundy on occasion.

3. Daniel is the best decision maker in the league. Never wastes a ball and his ability to hold onto the ball a split second longer to open up the space is unrivaled. He's also developed a much harder edge to his game. Big fan.

KT31
24-03-2019, 08:56 PM
1st. We are a far better side when we play all players in their best posistions

Naughton aside that is.:D

Mofra
24-03-2019, 09:46 PM
1. McLean is ridiculously clean in traffic. He's the polish when he's not under a pack.

2. Dunkley, Wallis and Libba actually worked playing in the same team by releasing Bont, McLean, Hunter and Macrae to play more outside.

3. Stats don't tell the whole story. I was very happy with Wood & Crozier's games with their ability to play taller and hit aerial contests when need be.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Well he had played forward last year at times.

Let’s just call him the swingman. And yes the Peter Foster tag is perfect

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2019, 10:02 PM
3. Stats don't tell the whole story. I was very happy with Wood & Crozier's games with their ability to play taller and hit aerial contests when need be.

I thought Wood was pretty good last night too. Buddy had him in that one on one but I’m sure buddy would have beaten most defenders in the same situation

AshMac
24-03-2019, 10:56 PM
1. Libba is our most important player - he changes our impact at stoppage and clearances
2. Our intensity was back. loads of locked in fwd 50 entries, gut running and hard tackling
3. GOD I LOVE GOING TO THE FOOTY!

soupman
24-03-2019, 11:13 PM
1. We can be fun. That feels great.

2. Sam Lloyd is going to be the player we all hope gets the ball. Aside from one error of enthusiasm he is almost always composed, a good decision maker and good user. I was happy she we signed him and think he will be very popular.

3. That was a carbon copy of several 2016 games. Concede a goal to their star player in the first minute. Dominate 2 and a half quarters without really getting too far in front. Watch the opposition come back to within a kick or possibly taking the lead. Finish with 2-4 goals late (including at least one from the Bont) to win by 15ish points. We did this exact game often in 2016, and rarely since. It's fun.

Templeton31
25-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Agree. Could add Bailey Williams to that too.

Templeton31
25-03-2019, 12:19 PM
1. Libba is great.
2. The Bont is great.
3. The roar when the Bont kicked that last quarter goal I haven't heard since 2016. Woof.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2019, 02:45 PM
1. We might just have the best depth of on ballers in the comp.
2. Feeling excited seeing Naughton as our key forward. A straight kick too which is the icing.
3. Something positive happens when the ball is in Caleb's hands.

bornadog
25-03-2019, 02:55 PM
2. Feeling excited seeing Naughton as our key forward. A straight kick too which is the icing.

He seems to kick the ball with little effort and it goes straight and long. His he one of the straightest kicks we have ever seen.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2019, 02:58 PM
He seems to kick the ball with little effort and it goes straight and long. His he one of the straightest kicks we have ever seen.

Yes. Perfect straight leg follow through too.

hujsh
25-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Naughton also seems to own the corridor rather than leading into the pockets which is nice as it gives him an actual chance of kicking it.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2019, 03:35 PM
1. We might just have the best depth of on ballers in the comp.
3. Something positive happens when the ball is in Caleb's hands.

Watching CD is great. His reflexes are so fast and he can change decision at last minute, a little like Aker used to be able to do.

azabob
26-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Perhaps not ever, Dickson says hello. But back to Naughton which makes it even more strange in the first quarter he kicked the ball around the corner rather than walk in straight.

ratsmac
26-03-2019, 10:05 AM
1. Having Libba back to his best is thing to happen to our group. Should've had a couple of goals too.

2. Taylor Duryea has a leg canon too! I knew he was a neat kick but I never knew he could do that. From outside 50 and sent it 5 rows back. Suckling, Bontempelli, Williams, JJ and now Duryea can all send it from outside 50. This is a tactic we should be working on.

3. Confidence is back. Our confidence definitely dropped of as injuries mounted over the last couple of years. Well it was back on the weekend. Hopefully it sticks around.

Bulldog4life
26-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Perhaps not ever, Dickson says hello. But back to Naughton which makes it even more strange in the first quarter he kicked the ball around the corner rather than walk in straight.

Thought the same thing. Would have been confident he would have slotted it running straight in. It was his opposite leg too.

merantau
27-03-2019, 08:36 AM
1. Libba is great.
2. The Bont is great.
3. The roar when the Bont kicked that last quarter goal I haven't heard since 2016. Woof.

When McLean's kick was still in the air the crowd around me lit up because we knew exactly what was going to happen. It was a great moment. I have to go back to our win over the Swans early in 2017 to come up with an equally enjoyable win.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Thought the same thing. Would have been confident he would have slotted it running straight in. It was his opposite leg too.

At the time I thought good he's confident to kick around corner on non preferred. Reminded me of Boyd's left hook from set shot in final. But yes maybe should've gone with standard straight kick.

bornadog
27-03-2019, 01:12 PM
At the time I thought good he's confident to kick around corner on non preferred. Reminded me of Boyd's left hook from set shot in final. But yes maybe should've gone with standard straight kick.

I don't understand why footballers insist on the around the corner shot. Heeney did the same in the first and missed by a mile.

Raw Toast
27-03-2019, 11:18 PM
1. If we can bottle the contested ball (and pressure more generally), with an attacking game plan and precise disposal then we'll be ok.

2. What I loved especially about Daniel's game was his touch when the ball was pinging around in packs - kept getting it out or deflecting to our advantage.

3. I also really liked that we didn't go back into our shells when challenged in the last. We were out on our feet, making mistakes, but still trying to win it (rather than not lose it). A good sign for the playing group I think.

I'm still only cautiously optimistic, but we did seem much better by hand than most of last year, as well as balanced and hunting in packs. Quick ball movement can still mask some of our lack of pace, although the Swans are also slow, so it will be interesting to see how Clarkson tries to break us down on Sunday...