PDA

View Full Version : The Moment.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2019, 11:25 PM
I'd like to debut a thread, and if folks like it, we can do it each week.
Its about defining a moment. Whether it's the moment that turned the game (either good or bad), or a moment of courage, a decisive moment.

There were heaps tonight, it just depends on where you want to slice it.
For me when I thought we'd thrown almost 3 qtrs of good football down the drain, that break from Mclean to feed Bont on the run... that was it. The 2 goals we got post that, were on the back of the pressure release Bont's goal created.
Prior to that moment, guys who for 2 and a half quarters had played with confidence, without the little man on the shoulder, had turned into balls of panic, and self-doubt.
That one passage of play, quelled all internal demons, and reminded & refocused the 18 on the field that they HAD this. That play was a loud, "HEY, we had these suckers on a string. GET BACK TO WHAT GOT US HERE. DO NOT WILT"

What was your MOMENT? There were lots to consider.

bulldogtragic
23-03-2019, 11:39 PM
I like examples in moments:

A) The Wallis & Bonts double tackle on Jones to get a free and shot at goal. Great example to follow.

B) Schache looked stuffed (most ruck minutes yet?) and narrowly dropped a mark near the ground with an opponent in his back. He could've let his shit slip after that in the last, but did some nice things including a great collect off a bouncing ball, which if he missed wouldve allowed Sydney to propel to a win. He grabbed it, got it off to a team mate and set up an entry. Just a good example of a player being strong mentally and making the moment count when it was their turn to execute in a less than goal game at the time.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2019, 11:50 PM
I like examples in moments:

A) The Wallis & Bonts double tackle on Jones to get a free and shot at goal. Great example to follow.

B) Schache looked stuffed (most ruck minutes yet?) and narrowly dropped a mark near the ground with an opponent in his back. He could've let his shit slip after that in the last, but did some nice things including a great collect off a bouncing ball, which if he missed wouldve allowed Sydney to propel to a win. He grabbed it, got it off to a team mate and set up an entry. Just a good example of a player being strong mentally and making the moment count when it was their turn to execute in a less than goal game at the time.

I love that second one particularly! I am critical of Josh's game in total. But as you rightly pointed out, that moment... NOPE he nailed his lines...

westdog54
23-03-2019, 11:58 PM
Schache had a hand in the sealer as well. Completed hard with multiple efforts, before someone shoveling the ball into Sam Lloyd's hands.

But it's hard to go past that Bontempelli goal. I don't usually leap to my feet when I watch a game at home but I did for that goal, complete with the sunnies on my head being thrown across the room.

bornadog
24-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Swans attacking, 6 to 7 points down, all the momentum, Reid looking dangerous. Naughton goes back and effects a few spoils, steadies the ship and we finally attack and get the ball of of our back 50. This actually lead to the Mclean to Bont ball.

bulldogtragic
24-03-2019, 12:03 AM
I love that second one particularly! I am critical of Josh's game in total. But as you rightly pointed out, that moment... NOPE he nailed his lines...

This is the beauty of your thread. The line between losing and winning can be executing in one moment, irrespective of the game they've had. Think the Wallis on the full last year vs North. Great game, poor moment. Tonight Josh had an average/ok game, great moment. That's what we have to want or expect, in close games in the final minutes, players take their moment.

P.S. I actually thought he'd not be able to cleanly grab it looking at the bounce, being a big man and his fatigue, and his opponent would drive it back. It doesn't huge if you haven't seen it, but I thought it was. Shows the kind of touch and finesse in his ball handling.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Schache had a hand in the sealer as well. Completed hard with multiple efforts, before someone shoveling the ball into Sam Lloyd's hands.

But it's hard to go past that Bontempelli goal. I don't usually leap to my feet when I watch a game at home but I did for that goal, complete with the sunnies on my head being thrown across the room.

I rate Schache. He'll be a good player for us.

I'll wind the Bont goal back a bit and say the kick from McLean was it. Centimetre perfect.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 12:08 AM
This is the beauty of your thread. The line between losing and winning can be executing in one moment, irrespective of the game they've had. Think the Wallis on the full last year vs North. Great game, poor moment. Tonight Josh had an average/ok game, great moment. That's what we have to want or expect, in close games in the final minutes, players take their moment.

P.S. I actually thought he'd not be able to cleanly grab it looking at the bounce, being a big man and his fatigue, and his opponent would drive it back. It doesn't huge if you haven't seen it, but I thought it was. Shows the kind of touch and finesse in his ball handling.

100%. I was dirty on Schache, especially as Sydney pushed.. but that moment you described.. turned me.. I was immediately..... Josh Schache, in that moment, that ONE play, justified why you deserve to be in the 22. And such a tiny, moment.. He fluffs that however, and it's probably a very sombre mood here.,

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 12:09 AM
I rate Schache. He'll be a good player for us.

I'll wind the Bont goal back a bit and say the kick from McLean was it. Centimetre perfect.

Mclean's kick was sublime.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Mine is not a good moment...rather 3 moments in the last where Bailey Smith got beaten and/or made the wrong decision. The first contest was in front of me near the interchange benches, a follow up contest and then another (I'll have to watch the replay to be more descriptive...). Each time he did not win, he made a mistake, he was out worked or out-thought. It was perfect.

This man has seen first hand how a seasoned team does when the game enters crunch time. His body-language showed a young player who hated it, realised it....and HATED IT!

We win. There's no skinned knees...but a young player who is crucial to driving us forward learned some lessons.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-03-2019, 12:25 AM
Mine is not a good moment...rather 3 moments in the last where Bailey Smith got beaten and/or made the wrong decision. The first contest was in front of me near the interchange benches, a follow up contest and then another (I'll have to watch the replay to be more descriptive...). Each time he did not win, he made a mistake, he was out worked or out-thought. It was perfect.

This man has seen first hand how a seasoned team does when the game enters crunch time. His body-language showed a young player who hated it, realised it....and HATED IT!

We win. There's no skinned knees...but a young player who is crucial to driving us forward learned some lessons.

It's funny, or not.. it's weird..I felt similar
Smith had a poor game.. and yet for some reason, I came away thinking he's gonna be just fine. This was a lesson put in the bank....
I don't know why? I've seen Georgiadies kick 6 on debut..I did not think at the time 'oh boy we've found a 200 gamer here. Yet tonight.. despite his poor game, I feel even more confident that 'the kid is alright'.

Go_Dogs
24-03-2019, 12:29 AM
It's funny, or not.. it's weird..I felt similar
Smith had a poor game.. and yet for some reason, I came away thinking he's gonna be just fine. This was a lesson put in the bank....
I don't know why? I've seen Georgiadies kick 6 on debut..I did not think at the time 'oh boy we've found a 200 gamer here. Yet tonight.. despite his poor game, I feel even more confident that 'the kid is alright'.

Agreed.

He's a kid who had strung a couple of halves together over pre-season. He's going to be fine as he builds fitness and confidence (wayyyy better than 'fine' actually). These are the perfect development moments for a player like him, with his work ethic and his desire/ I can't wait till he's a third year player and we've still got prime Bont, Jacko, Dunks, McLean...

SonofScray
24-03-2019, 12:32 AM
McLean's kick to the Bont was sublime. Only the recipient could've done it better.

For mine the last 5 mins of the first quarter restored some trust in the team that I had found whittled away in 2018. Repeat SOG in red time are invaluable.

The bulldog tragician
24-03-2019, 01:23 AM
McLean's kick to the Bont was sublime. Only the recipient could've done it better.

For mine the last 5 mins of the first quarter restored some trust in the team that I had found whittled away in 2018. Repeat SOG in red time are invaluable.
It was a wonderful kick, but I also loved that Bont was involved in the passage that led to McLean having the ball in the first place. He sprinted to the forward line. He marked cleanly a ball hurtling at him at speed. He kept his feet, backed his own talent. It was more difficult than you might think ... but he is The Bont....

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2019, 02:47 AM
The moment for me was watching the replay and late in second q the camera focuses on our interchange and Naughton is snarling at other players to come off and let him on.

Eastdog
24-03-2019, 02:57 AM
My moment: Bonts goal in the last was massive. Huge in getting our confidence back and ultimately led to us winning. I was jumping up and down celebrating that goal.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2019, 03:08 AM
The Bonts game was great and he instills confidence in the whole team. That goal is what Bevo's mantra is: take risks to create.

The Underdog
24-03-2019, 07:43 AM
The moment for me was watching the replay and late in second q the camera focuses on our interchange and Naughton is snarling at other players to come off and let him on.

Pretty sure he’s yelling at Billy Gowers, which only makes it better and more relatable

Topdog
24-03-2019, 08:01 AM
Great thread topic! Can't go past the McLean to Bont play on this occasion

SonofScray
24-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Gowers' muffed dribble kick back inside, inside the defensive 50 to turn it over after repeat defensive efforts was almost The Moment.

EasternWest
24-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Gowers' muffed dribble kick back inside, inside the defensive 50 to turn it over after repeat defensive efforts was almost The Moment.

What was he thinking?

dadsgirl16
24-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Bonts goal in the last was the moment for me..got everyone out of their seat

StanleyD
24-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Going past all the heart attacks in the last quarter there were two moments of real enjoyment to me.
Libba making cry baby faces at someone mid first quarter, made me laugh and was so happy to see him back. Then shortly after when Richards came off the bench and goaled within a minute.

Mofra
24-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Mclean's kick was sublime.
McLean seemed to be our cleanest ball user in the second half. Ripper mark he took too.

Twodogs
25-03-2019, 01:10 AM

Why were you wearing sunglasses in your loungeroom at 9.30 on a Saturday night? If your kids don't think that you are cool by now then it's probably too late!

What makes the Bont so great is that he owns moments like that. I've seen a few players play with us with the same amount of talent and skills but most of them only played a limited amount of games because unlike Marcus they avoided those moments whereas he actively seeks them out. Real champions want the ball in their hands at the vital stages of the game.

1eyedog
25-03-2019, 01:22 AM

Was fantastic footage

boydogs
25-03-2019, 01:30 AM
Schache realising he's a key forward and cleaning up Aliir right on half time

We physically beat up on Sydney for 3 quarters, even guys like Schache who are criticised for a lack of physicality knocked their opponents out of the way, was great to watch

westdog54
25-03-2019, 01:50 AM
Why were you wearing sunglasses in your loungeroom at 9.30 on a Saturday night? If your kids don't think that you are cool by now then it's probably too late!

What makes the Bont so great is that he owns moments like that. I've seen a few players play with us with the same amount of talent and skills but most of them only played a limited amount of games because unlike Marcus they avoided those moments whereas he actively seeks them out. Real champions want the ball in their hands at the vital stages of the game.

In fairness I'd been working outside all day and they were still sitting on top of my head.

Bont's reading of the play, knowing when to charge forward, is what gets him into situations like Saturday night, and in the Prelim, and last year's Sydney game. Even though he's one of the slowest in the team he gains ground by being smarter than the rest.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-03-2019, 07:54 AM
I thought the moment that change the game was when the umpire called Buddy to play on while taking that set shot. The ball hit the post. The pill was back in our hands and we could reset. Fast forward and our guys believed that the footy gods were back

bornadog
25-03-2019, 09:24 AM
I thought the moment that change the game was when the umpire called Buddy to play on while taking that set shot. The ball hit the post. The pill was back in our hands and we could reset. Fast forward and our guys believed that the footy gods were back

A goal from Buddy and scores would have been level - anything could happen after that.

bulldogtragic
25-03-2019, 10:10 AM

We physically beat up on Sydney for 3 quarters, even guys like Schache who are criticised for a lack of physicality knocked their opponents out of the way, was great to watch

Yep, that's a good observation. I think it was in the second, Grundy had the ball near the boundary and Schache hit him at pace and dragged him over the line. Grundy is pretty adept at using his hips to shake off tackles, and has 10 more years of strength and conditioning on Josh who made his presence known and resulted in a boundary throw in and not waltzing out. Small signs, but good signs.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2019, 05:42 PM
The moment for me is early in the match on the wing/half forward Ed Richards beat 2 or 3 of the Swans players with deft touches of the ball then broke away and sent a scintillating pass to his team mate. Magnificent play young man.

bornadog
25-03-2019, 05:48 PM
Great Moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrU7GkPJLg4

Thanks to Al's Highlights

EasternWest
25-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Great Moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrU7GkPJLg4

Thanks to Al's Highlights

I didn't realise he'd run quite so far. Showed a real burst of speed to get going.

God, I love him.

Mitcha
26-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Not sure Nathan Brown's call was overly enthusiastic!
That moment so reminiscent of a certain goal in a certain prelim. not that long ago.

Mantis
26-03-2019, 12:42 PM
I didn't realise he'd run quite so far. Showed a real burst of speed to get going.

God, I love him.

You could see his mind processing that bit of play. We have 2 players (Wallis & McLean), they have 1... I’m out of here!!

Rocket Science
26-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Couldn't help doing a genuine double take when that unfolded.

Schache straight-lining a loose ball and barrelling through the biggest Swan on the park without blinking? Hang on, what?

If it's a precursor to a little more scrap in his game well giddy up.

1eyedog
26-03-2019, 01:17 PM
Lloyd's late goal on the run from 50 pretty much cracked them and broke their momentum. I knew we'd win when he kicked it.

Mofra
26-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Couldn't help doing a genuine double take when that unfolded.

Schache straight-lining a loose ball and barrelling through the biggest Swan on the park without blinking? Hang on, what?

If it's a precursor to a little more scrap in his game well giddy up.
I don't aggression comes naturally to Schache but the Aliir contest and the contest in the last near the F50 arc where he ran through an opponent shows he's listening to his coaches and making inroads. He actually made a few contests that gave us a chance in the F50.

Rocket Science
26-03-2019, 02:42 PM
I don't aggression comes naturally to Schache but the Aliir contest and the contest in the last near the F50 arc where he ran through an opponent shows he's listening to his coaches and making inroads. He actually made a few contests that gave us a chance in the F50.

Sure, EJ incarnate he ain't no matter how much we try to angry him up, but if he hunts more ball like a player with the athleticism of a wingman albeit one nudging 100kgs he might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

They're cast from slightly different moulds but there was a moment a young Jack Riewoldt figured out that if he was willing to be a little more combative to get the pill a bloke with his physical attributes could be quite the handful, influence more contests and earn more opportunities to use those skills in the process.

A few more games, a bit more confidence in himself and the team around him, and ideally the same penny drops for Schache too.

Mofra
26-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Sure, EJ incarnate he ain't no matter how much we try to angry him up, but if he hunts more ball like a player with the athleticism of a wingman albeit one nudging 100kgs he might be pleasantly surprised with the results.

They're cast from slightly different moulds but there was a moment a young Jack Riewoldt figured out that if he was willing to be a little more combative to get the pill a bloke with his physical attributes could be quite the handful, influence more contests and earn more opportunities to use those skills in the process.

A few more games, a bit more confidence in himself and the team around him, and ideally the same penny drops for Schache too.
All true, however I'm still scarred from decades of following the Bulldogs and having us continuously having nobody to kick to on the HF line save for the guy with a helmet who is our newest CHB, or during our last run at success a Mitch Hahn who was shorter and slower than his direct opponent.

Schache presents and leads and I don't recall him getting out marked in round which brings our smalls into it. His stats aren't flash but he really is playing his role. A goal per game puts him in the top couple of goalkickers on our list in any of the past few years aside from 2016.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-03-2019, 12:09 AM
A couple of times Schache led and the ball was kicked high to him and Aliir was right on his hammer and spoiled. Maybe if it was kicked for him to run onto even as a chest mark then he couldn't be spoiled.