PDA

View Full Version : The AFL churn

merantau
02-04-2019, 07:31 PM
We all know football is a tough gig. The rewards are great but the risks are high and the competition is fierce - it is not a game for faint hearts, shrinking violets or blokes who get ahead of themselves. It rewards dedication, determination and resilience.

The stats speak for themselves. It takes a great deal of effort and a big slice of good fortune to have a long and successful career. I just took a look at our 2016 list. Just two years and two games after our Flag win there are just 23 of the 44 that were on the list - 21 have gone.

We are a new team now who are going to make their own history. Exciting times ahead. Go Dogs!

AshMac
02-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Spot on. The comparisons between us now and 2016 are in game style, but it certainly isn’t a return to form of the same “team”

1eyedog
02-04-2019, 08:54 PM
I think we'll win the flag. We play for each other more than any other team and I watch every game. The big test is round 4.

Insufficient Intent
02-04-2019, 09:43 PM
I think we'll win the flag. We play for each other more than any other team and I watch every game. The big test is round 4.
Agree entirely 1eyedog; Pies are hot, certainly playing like Grand Final participants from last year. De Goey played a blistering game against the Tigers last week, booting 5.1. He's not their only talent; they're a formidable team across the ground.

Go Dogs commented in the "Three Things I've Learned" thread, that we're an inconsistent reward for effort team (notwithstanding our last quarter). That won't cut it against the likes of Collingwood; unless of course we can string four quarters together like our final one last Sunday!

Car'n Doggies!

bornadog
02-04-2019, 10:54 PM
21 gone, that is a lot in two years . I guess the break down would be interesting, ie retired, playing with ther clubs or just delisted and not playing AFL.

FrediKanoute
03-04-2019, 12:35 AM

On paper I agree, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. We would be undoing all of the good work of rounds 1 & 2 if we drop a game v the Suns. To me, losing to Suns is exactly what we are likely to do. Whilst the media may not rate them a good team will put them away. We need to show we are a good team and get the job done.

boydogs
03-04-2019, 02:43 AM
21 gone, that is a lot in two years . I guess the break down would be interesting, ie retired, playing with ther clubs or just delisted and not playing AFL.

Retired (6)
Jed Adcock
Matthew Boyd
Robert Murphy
Shane Biggs
Clay Smith
Jack Redpath

Other Clubs (9)
Joel Hamling
Nathan Hrovat
Stewart Crameri (now retired)
Koby Stevens (now retired)
Jake Stringer
Marcus Adams
Tom Campbell
Luke Dahlhaus
Jordan Roughead

Delisted (6)
Luke Goetz
Will Minson
Josh Prudden
Declan Hamilton
Kieran Collins
Mitch Honeychurch

Not counting Travis Cloke, Tristan Tweedie & Nathan Mullenger-McHugh who were picked up and let go after 2016

ledge
03-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Retired (6)
Jed Adcock
Matthew Boyd
Robert Murphy
Shane Biggs
Clay Smith
Jack Redpath

Other Clubs (9)
Joel Hamling
Nathan Hrovat
Stewart Crameri (now retired)
Koby Stevens (now retired)
Jake Stringer
Marcus Adams
Tom Campbell
Luke Dahlhaus
Jordan Roughead

Delisted (6)
Luke Goetz
Will Minson
Josh Prudden
Declan Hamilton
Kieran Collins
Mitch Honeychurch

Not counting Travis Cloke, Tristan Tweedie & Nathan Mullenger-McHugh who were picked up and let go after 2016

Add Picken

comrade
03-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Hamling is the only one I miss from those that have moved on to other clubs. He'd be best 22 for sure.

Eastdog
03-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Hamling is the only one I miss from those that have moved on to other clubs. He'd be best 22 for sure.

Yeah Hamling at the end very good. Was one I wanted to stay as well.

Eastdog
03-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Will be a great challenge against my brother’s Pies. We are very chance. Need to get the job done on Sunday first.

Twodogs
04-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Let's win this weeks game before we win the week after.