PDA

View Full Version : Biggest surprise on our list

Ghost Dog
04-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Liam retiring ends perhaps one the great 'list climber' stories at the Bulldogs in ten years.
There will always be one or two surprises. Who is the player who has surprised you most on our current list?

Mitch Wallis is a surprise for me. Always thought he had too many limitations to be effective but his heart is as big as Phar Laps. He's not fashionable but he turns into a warrior when he crosses the line.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Crozier has proved to be an excellent pick up from Fremantle. He emerged as our most consistent defender last year and his good form has been apparent in the opening two matches.

The Pie Man
04-04-2019, 03:33 PM
I reckon Dickson still qualifies for inclusion on a thread like this - we all accept him as best 22 when fit now, but not when first recruited (I even remember someone thinking Veszpremi was a better option already on the list) Game 99 on the weekend.

If you just landed on Earth and saw the average profile of an Aussie Rules footballer, you'd be amazed Caleb Daniel can do well.

westdog54
04-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Who here ever thought, at the start of their respective careers:

That Jason Johannisen would end up a Norm Smith Medallist, or;

That Easton Wood would be a premiership captain?

Considering their draft profiles and their backgrounds their career acheivements are extraordinary.

Eastdog
04-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Crozier has proved to be an excellent pick up from Fremantle. He emerged as our most consistent defender last year and his good form has been apparent in the opening two matches.

Been very good. Started slow but picked up as the season went on. Went to a another school close to my school. Who
knows Tom Boyd and Hayden Crozier probably played at Knox and we didn’t know at the time back then :)

Axe Man
04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
I will nominate Lachie Hunter. Expectations for him had to be modest, other clubs didn't rate him very highly, slipping to pick 49. Not tall, quick or amazingly skilled yet he picks up possessions at will and is our reigning best and fairest.

hujsh
04-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Dale Morris probably still qualifies. Do I need to explain his case? I'm sure we're all aware of his journey.

Mofra
04-04-2019, 04:26 PM
I'll nominate Gowers.

When a 187cm guy who was delisted from the Carlton rookie list who had a middling pre-season last year then found himself in the Round 1 side I was hoping I'd bump into Bevo's supplier for a stern chat. A few months in I was a total Billy convert.

Then again I doubted Naughton's ability forward until round 1 as well.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Buku Khamis. Started only playing footy not that long before our premiership. He's on the list, and 'the wall of Biggs' isn't.

whythelongface
04-04-2019, 06:48 PM
I'll nominate Gowers.

When a 187cm guy who was delisted from the Carlton rookie list who had a middling pre-season last year then found himself in the Round 1 side I was hoping I'd bump into Bevo's supplier for a stern chat. A few months in I was a total Billy convert.

I'm with you there Mofra. I had no expectations on Gowers.So to have him cement a regular starting spot, be our leading goal kicker (albeit a low base) and become an important part of our forward structure has been a major surprise. As others have previously stated he is much more of a positive for our club then the 2017 version of Stringer.

Twodogs
04-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Who here ever thought, at the start of their respective careers:

That Jason Johannisen would end up a Norm Smith Medallist, or;

That Easton Wood would be a premiership captain?

Considering their draft profiles and their backgrounds their career acheivements are extraordinary.

If GWS had failed to get Callan Ward the next name on their list for the tattslotto offer was Easton Wood. I remember at the time thinking "Please take Easton and leave Callan with us because Wood can barely get on the park and he's not that impressive when he does" If you'd told me at the time that Easton Wood was going to be our next premiership captain I would have told you to keep out of the exhibits room at work. ;)

I'll nominate Gowers.

Bevo's supplier?