PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Thread Round 5, Vs Carlton

Scraggers
05-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 4 match against Collingwood for our Round 5, 2019 match against Carlton at Marvel Stadium on Easter Sunday?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
12-04-2019, 11:22 PM
Outs

Richards, Gowers, Dunkley, Duryea

Ins

Lippa, Trengove, Lynch, Williams

Hotdog60
12-04-2019, 11:35 PM
I'm not 100% sure at this point but there must be some players knocking on the door the level below.

Out: Richards and Dunkley

In: Williams and Lipinski

Bulldog4life
12-04-2019, 11:51 PM
Outs

Richards, Gowers, Schache,

Ins

Lippa, Trengove, Williams

Happy Days
13-04-2019, 12:02 AM
Richards and Gowers for Lipinski and anybody

FrediKanoute
13-04-2019, 12:32 AM
I thought Ed was better than previous weeks and would be inclined to leave him.

My changes:

Out: Gowers,
In: Lippa,

comrade
13-04-2019, 12:39 AM
It's a shame Greene got injured, I would have swapped out Gowers. Billy gets one more week.

I think one of Wood and Duryea have to go, and given he's captain it's not likely going to be Wood.

OUT: Duryea
IN: Lipinski

boydogs
13-04-2019, 12:49 AM
Just a clogged up game, didn't suit some guys. They'll do better next week against Carlton

bornadog
13-04-2019, 01:25 AM
It's a shame Greene got injured, I would have swapped out Gowers. Billy gets one more week.

I think one of Wood and Duryea have to go, and given he's captain it's not likely going to be Wood.

OUT: Duryea
IN: Lipinski

I thought Duryea was ok he picked up 21 kicks, he wasn't as bad as some of Wood's decision making

Go_Dogs
13-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Out:-

Dickson, Gowers

In:-

Lipinski, Dale

Wallis forward, Dale forward. Lipinski in to run.

DOG GOD
13-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Out- gowers, Richards,
In- lippa, Williams

angelopetraglia
13-04-2019, 12:22 PM
No injuries and we now have a nine day break. It will be very interesting to see what changes we make. I would like to see a little more class inserted. The form Bailey Williams showed late last year and the glimpses we saw from Bailey Dale throughout 2017 would definitely help the team.

We do have lots of depth when you think we have Jong, Williams, Dale, Webb, Lippa, Trengrove, Roberts, Young and Boyd running around in the VFL.

bornadog
13-04-2019, 01:50 PM
In: Lippa, Lynch

Out: Gowers and Dickson

I am still thinking about Trengove/Schache.

chef
13-04-2019, 03:24 PM
I'd drop English and bring in Trengove if we a set on a one ruck policy.

bornadog
13-04-2019, 06:23 PM
I'd drop English and bring in Trengove if we a set on a one ruck policy.

Maybe he needs to learn his craft more at VFL level

Rocco Jones
13-04-2019, 06:33 PM
It's a hard one this week. I think Gowers/Dickson/Schache are all a bit risk of offering next to nothing for an entire game. I would drop Schache or Gowers for JT and go the extra ruck/forward. Don't think English or JT would do much worse and will help keep us fresh in the ruck at least. It's a tough one as I don't like either option short term.

Lippa for Richards is my other one. Would be awesome if one of the Youngs can earn a spot as they would fit right in with our team defence style.

chef
13-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Maybe he needs to learn his craft more at VFL level

We need to also be a bit more selective with when we pick him. He was rag dolled last night and the hit out tally was a bit embarrassing.

He needs to get a lot stronger before he can be relied upon as a number 1 ruck.

jeemak
13-04-2019, 09:11 PM
I would drop Schache for Trengove and instruct the latter to bash and crash and run hard at all times when in the ruck to help fatigue the opposition ruck to make English's life a bit easier if possible.

Then I think I'd to see Williams in for Richards.

Doc26
13-04-2019, 09:30 PM
In: Williams, Lipinski
Out: Duryea, Gowers

Would also like to see Trengove come in but not yet sure of the 3rd out.
Ideally would like to keep Schache in but not sold on him as a key forward at this stage of his career.

Possibly try him back and Trengove forward as changing ruck, pushing Tory out.

Richards form will fluctuate. He has too many tricks that we need, and thought at times that he started to show some of them again on Friday night.
He’s still an in for me.

Smads57
13-04-2019, 10:09 PM
My concern with bringing a player up from the VFL is where he will be asked to play in the AFL side.

For example Lipper - he has played well in VFL games playing on the ball and being in the centre, but isn't likely to get that opportunity playing AFL football (where Maclean/Dunkley would be ahead of him if a midfielder went down).

The same would be true with Trengove who clearly plays best as a Ruck/resting KF and not a KF/relieving Ruck, but we need to persist with English in order to build his game.

Webb in the past is an example of what I am trying to say above - he went missing when asked to play a different role in the AFL team versus his role at VFL level.

I realise Bevo wants players able to play multiple positions, but in order for them to play their best footy, some also need to play in their best position for part of each game. I think Dunkley and Maclean are better mids than forwards and are examples of players this year not getting those opportunities to play in their best position. Even Easton Wood is now being asked to be the team's KD on the last line when we know his best football was as an intercepting 'third' man up type playing across half back.

I'm not really adding anything here that Woofers haven't already mentioned in part in other threads, but find it difficult to determine who should come into the side if we decide to push one or two players down to the VFL side.

But I need to commit...

Out: Richards (just needs to find some freedom in his game again)
In: Lipper - a much slower player than Richards, but likely to be involved in the play more and bring his VFL form with him.

*Gowers stays in because we are playing Carlton and so 'good' Billy is likely to show up

Bullies
14-04-2019, 05:59 PM
In Lipper

Out Gowers (Not convinced he will make it.)

angelopetraglia
14-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Watched the Sun v Blues game today. The Blues have some tall marking players in their forward line (McKay 204cm, McGovern 191cm, Curnow 192cm and Casboult 198cm). We will need to bring in an extra tall defender.

jeemak
14-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Been thinking more about this and I reckon it might be a solid time to pull the trigger bring Webb in and play him a mix of half forward and on the footy.

A good user of the football is always handy, and if Smads summation of his current presence on the ground is how it is then perhaps it's time for him.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2019, 11:33 PM
Watched the Sun v Blues game today. The Blues have some tall marking players in their forward line (McKay 204cm, McGovern 191cm, Curnow 192cm and Casboult 198cm). We will need to bring in an extra tall defender.

Surely Roberts deserves another chance.

westbulldog
15-04-2019, 11:04 AM
If Robert's form has warranted it he replaces Cordy who was a non-event against Collingwood.
Lynch for Gowers.
Trengove for Schache.
If Richards stays he is lucky otherwise out for Lipinski.

Mofra
15-04-2019, 11:55 AM
They kicked it to Gibbons more often than not.
Blues play dumb football.

I'd put in Trengove for Schache - Schache was putrid against Collingwood and Trengove will at least compete, and be a far better second ruck than Schache.
Not sure of other changes - interesting Williams was 'rested' but can't get back into the side.

I'd swap Wallis and Dunkley's roles in the team. It worked late last year, I'm not sure why we've changed it this year.

1eyedog
15-04-2019, 12:13 PM
Gloves McGovern looking unlikely for them.

Rocket Science
15-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Don't get the ire for Cordy. He lost a couple of one-on-ones at unhelpful times but otherwise scrapped hard most of the night. He's there to apply aerial pressure and make life difficult for his opponents and that's what he's doing.

He's hardly done enough to get hooked for Roberts at this stage.

Scorlibo
15-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Out: English, Gowers, Richards
In: Trengove, Roberts, Lipinski

Tim English has be dropped. I know he was pitted against Grundy but a hitout count of 60-6 is not acceptable and will make it very difficult to win games. Tim might become a more confident and capable not to mention strong tap ruckman in time but he's playing a very important position and we can't just be sacrificing wins for the sake of his development. Trengove plays against Collingwood and we win that game, at least he's a competitor.

Roberts has played well for Footscray and we need his height down back this week.
Billy G must find a way to stay involved in the play.
Richards likewise.
Lipinski rewarded for good form at Footscray, he might not have the same pace as Richards but he does find space and run the lines.

Bumper Bulldogs
15-04-2019, 10:17 PM
I’m really at a loss. I am so nervous about this game. This is the only game that Carlton have a chance of winning over the next four weeks. They will set themselves for us and have nothing to lose.

I’m not sure who to bring in but would love the experience of Morris and Picken if they were available. Two of our best and most experienced players.

So I’m not sure youth is what we need to bring in but the options are short

History tells me that Bevo will go in unchanged again.

The Adelaide Connection
15-04-2019, 10:32 PM

I think we give Lewis Young another crack. His best ever game (his first one) was against Carlton and surely that would fill him with extra confidence.

I am not going to lie, I am nervous about this game. We need to score heavily- the longer we leave the door open the more confident and likely to walk through they will be.

bornadog
15-04-2019, 11:02 PM
I think we give Lewis Young another crack. His best ever game (his first one) was against Carlton and surely that would fill him with extra confidence.

I am not going to lie, I am nervous about this game. We need to score heavily- the longer we leave the door open the more confident and likely to walk through they will be.

Lewis should not have been dropped against Collingwood, he may have been handy down back against Cox in the last.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Surely Roberts deserves another chance.

I get the impression that similar to Roughead and Campbell, Roberts also may not be on the Coach’s radar. It leads to the possibility of Trengrove being recalled as a key defender to assist Cordy. Trengrove should also provide ruck support to English rather than Schache who is better suited as a forward.

mjp
15-04-2019, 11:51 PM
I’m really at a loss. I am so nervous about this game. This is the only game that Carlton have a chance of winning over the next four weeks.

Umm. They play Hawthorn and North after us...are you saying we aren't as good as either of those sides?

FrediKanoute
16-04-2019, 01:19 AM
Its a danger game, and Carlton aren't as bad as their start suggests, just as GC aren't as good as their start suggests. The doggies need to be hungry on Sunday to get back on the winning list. going 3-2 after 5 rounds is important, especially with a couple of tough games to come.

Eastdog
16-04-2019, 01:49 AM
Once upon a time ago you could look at the fixture and tick off games you’ll win and not win but now the competition is so even there is no such thing as that today. Need to be wary on Sunday as the Blues will be fired up after that loss but we lost by not much as well and will be just as dertermined to win and go 3-2. The next few months will be interesting fo us now and will see where we are at with a bigger sample size.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Umm. They play Hawthorn and North after us...are you saying we aren't as good as either of those sides?
Not saying that. I just think they will be looking at the next 4 weeks and they are going to say on current form we will be the easiest to get over the top of. We beat the Hawks. Just. We should be better than the atoms but they have the wood on us.

We need to be focused and on our game this week. Don’t want to be the first side the Blues beat.

MrMahatma
16-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Not saying that. I just think they will be looking at the next 4 weeks and they are going to say on current form we will be the easiest to get over the top of. We beat the Hawks. Just. We should be better than the atoms but they have the wood on us.

We need to be focused and on our game this week. Don’t want to be the first side the Blues beat.
On current form, Hawks lost to Saints...

The Blues will fancy themselves to have a good month.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Official danger game. They are getting absolutely belted in the media from every single angle. They will come out breathing fire. It has to turn for them at some stage.

However 3 wins in their last 36 outings makes for horrific reading. Their skill level and game plan execution is putrid. Setterfield will be a loss. Welsh copped a decent knock to his buttock/lower back. They played in 25c with 80% humidity interstate. They played 10 players with less than 50 games (even though we were actually younger than them on the weekend in both age and games played we only had 7 players with less than 50). There really is no excuses.

If we bring intensity to the contest and we take some of our chances, we will win easily. My fear is that we dominate in general play, don't make them pay on the scoreboard, they get a sniff and then it's anyone's game.

Axe Man
16-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Lewis should not have been dropped against Collingwood, he may have been handy down back against Cox in the last.

If you were going to argue he should play for development reasons then fair enough, but no way in hell is he a better defender than Cordy. What difference would he have made against Collingwood? An extra tall defender wouldn't have helped at all and in fact it's likely we would have been worse off had Young played in place of Richards for example.

bornadog
16-04-2019, 10:53 AM
If you were going to argue he should play for development reasons then fair enough, but no way in hell is he a better defender than Cordy. What difference would he have made against Collingwood? An extra tall defender wouldn't have helped at all and in fact it's likely we would have been worse off had Young played in place of Richards for example.

Never said he should replace Cordy, but what I don't like is Cordy being a Key Position Player. He is only 193cm and like Wood is going to struggle against the tall forwards. Yes Young is developing and we need him to step up and get games into him.

Our backline needs someone to play on the gorilla's, because as the game gets longer the bigger guys don't get shorter. I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.

Axe Man
16-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Never said he should replace Cordy, but what I don't like is Cordy being a Key Position Player. He is only 193cm and like Wood is going to struggle against the tall forwards. Yes Young is developing and we need him to step up and get games into him.

Our backline needs someone to play on the gorilla's, because as the game gets longer the bigger guys don't get shorter. I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.

Collingwood only had 1 "Gorilla" in Cox. Cordy is better equipped to play on Cox than Young, despite being a few centimetres shorter. What role would Young have played to improve our chances on Friday night?

I'm not against Young playing but there was no matchup for him against the Pies, there may be one against Carlton.

mjp
16-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Official danger game. They are getting absolutely belted in the media from every single angle. They will come out breathing fire. It has to turn for them at some stage.

They have been getting belted for 3 years...we have 100% played this song before. And how much more 'fire breathing' could they be this week than they were last week? Cripps is going to be SORE and so is Murphy...it isn't like those two could do much more...

mjp
16-04-2019, 11:09 AM
I don't rate Cox at all, but in the last quarter as our players started to fatigue, they could no longer jump as high as him.

If Bailey Smith just kicks the goal that was a legit gift from the lord above and the umpires don't incorrectly award Cox a mark when Crozier had 4/5th's of it (and was the man in front) then we wouldn't even be discussing this. Yes, Collingwood had more run in the last quarter...as we came off a short week. Probably should have been expected (and I must admit I discounted it because it was only Round 4, but that was a mistake) and just another of those issues with the fixture that is still the biggest cause of inequality in the game....

Young is more Flanker than key position player at the moment and whilst he has a lot of talent, based on his ball use against the Suns he is not ready for AFL footy.

Mofra
16-04-2019, 11:25 AM
I'd bring in Trengove for Schache but it doesn't sound like Trengove is being considered despite his BOG.

I'd certainly have Dunkley run with Cripps, as much to run Dunkey into form as it worked last year. That puts wallis forward a little more which is where he excelled last year.

Yes Carlton have a giant forwardline but how much defensive pressure do McKay and Casbault actually apply? They kicked it to Gibbons a fair bit anyway. We need to kill the aerial contest then kill them on the rebound. We should have them in the midfield and Philips is no Grundy.

Rocket Science
16-04-2019, 11:27 AM

Is that you Wallsy?

I wonder if we don't have an old fashioned spine because we don't have the personnel or whether it's just not the way the game's really played any more, or rather, the way Bevo prefers to play it.

Agreed Lewy Young can't come on quick enough. I also wonder if the coach is going to give him the same amount of rope as we're evidently giving English this year.

Axe Man
16-04-2019, 12:22 PM
I'd bring in Trengove for Schache but it doesn't sound like Trengove is being considered despite his BOG.

I'd certainly have Dunkley run with Cripps, as much to run Dunkey into form as it worked last year. That puts wallis forward a little more which is where he excelled last year.

Yes Carlton have a giant forwardline but how much defensive pressure do McKay and Casbault actually apply? They kicked it to Gibbons a fair bit anyway. We need to kill the aerial contest then kill them on the rebound. We should have them in the midfield and Philips is no Grundy.

Lobbe has been their ruckman the last couple of games although it looks likely Kruzer will be back this week. Apparently Kruzer is likely to replace Casboult so it will be very difficult for English if he has to play a lone hand against two mature ruckmen.

The Pie Man
16-04-2019, 12:36 PM

We've all been mystified by selection since 2015 and for the first 2 years we went and won anyway - if Trengove doesn't come in this week, why the hell did we sign him?

Mofra
16-04-2019, 12:38 PM
We've all been mystified by selection since 2015 and for the first 2 years we went and won anyway - if Trengove doesn't come in this week, why the hell did we sign him?
It's strange - every single other mature player we have brought in has been with a specific role in mind.
Trengove is smashing the door down too and English spent a fair chunk of pre-season playing forward as we planned to play two rucks.

Axe Man
16-04-2019, 12:46 PM
It's strange - every single other mature player we have brought in has been with a specific role in mind.
Trengove is smashing the door down too and English spent a fair chunk of pre-season playing forward as we planned to play two rucks.

I reckon Naughton going forward put paid to 2 rucks and as a result Trengove's place in the team.

bornadog
16-04-2019, 01:28 PM
If Bailey Smith just kicks the goal that was a legit gift from the lord above and the umpires don't incorrectly award Cox a mark when Crozier had 4/5th's of it (and was the man in front) then we wouldn't even be discussing this. Yes, Collingwood had more run in the last quarter...as we came off a short week. Probably should have been expected (and I must admit I discounted it because it was only Round 4, but that was a mistake) and just another of those issues with the fixture that is still the biggest cause of inequality in the game....

Young is more Flanker than key position player at the moment and whilst he has a lot of talent, based on his ball use against the Suns he is not ready for AFL footy.

Possibly that could have been the case, but in the last quarter they beat us in clearances, centre clearances and cont.poss after we were leading at 3qrt time.

I really believe the biggest holes we have at the moment is Ruck and CHB, and I am not sure what we do, other than develop the young guys we have.

1eyedog
16-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Possibly that could have been the case, but in the last quarter they beat us in clearances, centre clearances and cont.poss after we were leading at 3qrt time.

I really believe the biggest holes we have at the moment is Ruck and CHB, and I am not sure what we do, other than develop the young guys we have.

Trengove is a bit of a lumbering type but can't he fill both of these holes?

Mofra
16-04-2019, 05:05 PM
It's weird. Very weird.

The left-field suggestion is we pick up Gardner in the mid-season draft and he gets a chance to impress. The midget backline will work for a while but I'm not convinced it's a long term solution.

bornadog
16-04-2019, 05:14 PM

When we picked him up, I was hoping he was our answer to the backline.

DOG GOD
16-04-2019, 06:15 PM
When we picked him up, I was hoping he was our answer to the backline.

Same here. I was very excited to get him in the team. He was competitive and a big body to play on the bigger fwds. We look so short when you see the talls of only Cordy named in our back 6.

bornadog
16-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Same here. I was very excited to get him in the team. He was competitive and a big body to play on the bigger fwds. We look so short when you see the talls of only Cordy named in our back 6.

Cordy is only 1 cm taller than the Bont

hujsh
16-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Naughton is only 2cm taller than Zaine

bulldogtragic
16-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Jarrad Grant is the same height as Bontempelli. At peak hair, he was 2cm taller and he has signed GAJ GCS merchandise.

S Coast Simon
16-04-2019, 08:46 PM
I don’t understand having English as our only recognised ruckman. Trengove’s best year to date was when he played in the ruck full time. I said it earlier in the year that we can’t throw English to the wolves he was going to need some help. Not just a chop out but a genuine helper. English would also cause headaches in the forward line. He is a great mark and has great foot skills.

I really like like the team that is playing but if blokes are knocking on the door you have to let them in. That’s how you build a super strong culture about winning, everyone knows if you’re a bit off your game then it’s VFL tilll you knock someone else out. This needs to happen to remind everyone that you will get your chance if your playing good football in the VFL.

Outs Gowers. Richards.

Ins Trengove. Williams.

i know Lippa deserves a go but just not sue who else to come out. Would really like to see Young back in but Bevo doesn’t like to change to many at a time

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-04-2019, 09:34 PM
I don’t understand having English as our only recognised ruckman. Trengove’s best year to date was when he played in the ruck full time. I said it earlier in the year that we can’t throw English to the wolves he was going to need some help. Not just a chop out but a genuine helper. English would also cause headaches in the forward line. He is a great mark and has great foot skills.

I really like like the team that is playing but if blokes are knocking on the door you have to let them in. That’s how you build a super strong culture about winning, everyone knows if you’re a bit off your game then it’s VFL tilll you knock someone else out. This needs to happen to remind everyone that you will get your chance if your playing good football in the VFL.

Outs Gowers. Richards.

Ins Trengove. Williams.

i know Lippa deserves a go but just not sue who else to come out. Would really like to see Young back in but Bevo doesn’t like to change to many at a time

I would add Lipinski as a third in, replacing Smith. Richards was outstanding last year in defence and should return there at the expense of Duryea. Wood should return to a half back flank where he plays his best football with Trengrove to play at centre half back and a back up to English who desperately needs support in the ruck.
In. Trengrove Williams Lipinski
Out. Gowers Duryea Smith

Bumper Bulldogs
16-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Does this remind you of Roughy. Collingwood seemed to be very happy with the way the deal ended up. He wasn’t good enough to get a game with us but can walk into the runners up last year without any hiccups 🤔

Go figure

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Does this remind you of Roughy. Collingwood seemed to be very happy with the way the deal ended up. He wasn’t good enough to get a game with us but can walk into the runners up last year without any hiccups ��

Go figure
Collingwood needed a key defender and went and got Roughy. We needed a key defender and went and got Trengrove who has rarely played there. Sadly Roughy has barracked for the Bulldogs all his life, overcome a serious eye injury in the 2016 preliminary final and then played a key role in a Premiership win. Roughy’s links extends to his Father and Uncle both whom played at VFL level with the Bulldogs. An outstanding Club man Collingwood has got a good one.

Bumper Bulldogs
16-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Collingwood needed a key defender and went and got Roughy. We needed a key defender and went and got Trengrove who has rarely played there. Sadly Roughy has barracked for the Bulldogs all his life, overcome a serious eye injury in the 2016 preliminary final and then played a key role in a Premiership win. Roughy’s links extends to his Father and Uncle both whom played at VFL level with the Bulldogs. An outstanding Club man Collingwood has got a good one.

Yes and we wouldn’t play him. He was in the leadership group and loved by all

bornadog
16-04-2019, 11:45 PM
Outs Gowers. Richards.

Ins Trengove. Williams.

Williams hasn't done enough to warrant selection at this stage.

We also have a bye in the VFL this week which doesn't help those knocking on the door.

Listening to Gia discuss the win last week, Lippa has been playing as an inside mid at VFL level which was interesting.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-04-2019, 12:33 AM
Not fussed about Trengove playing, he can only play as the #1 ruck so unless we drop English or want to play Tim more forward I don’t see the point in playing Trengove.

Unfortunately Trengove is too slow to play as a key defender now and he can’t mark/lead to play as a forward.

His value is as an aggressive first ruck who follows the ball, but he’s been disappointing in this role. He played some good footy a few years ago but if we are being honest, he’s been a really average pick up.

Have to admit it’s a little frustrating seeing Roughy hold down FB at the Pies. Mobility is about the same as Trengove but he’s 100x better in the air and is taking contested grabs again. Of all the players we’ve lost, it sucks to see him elsewhere but good to see he’s revitalised his career. He’s much better suited to the back half as opposed to ruck.

In terms of our ins/outs, I’d like to see us invest in Young to see if we can fast track development by pumping games into him. I didn’t agree with dropping him and thought he had battled Ok with some encouraging but inconsistent signs. We need to persist and this is the year to do it - we aren’t winning the flag or contending - so it’s vital we quickly develop the likes of English, Young, Naughton and Schache - all within reason, as there’s no doubt times they’ll need to be rested or dropped to find touch again.

Ghost Dog
17-04-2019, 02:54 AM
Didn't Trengrove get BOG in the VFL? Seeing as we drafted him would like to see him at least given a chance, if he is getting BOG in the VFL.
Against Carlton I would drop Gowers and put Bont in the forward line for parts of the game, along with Naughton. See how they handle that.

bornadog
17-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Didn't Trengrove get BOG in the VFL? Seeing as we drafted him would like to see him at least given a chance, if he is getting BOG in the VFL.
Against Carlton I would drop Gowers and put Bont in the forward line for parts of the game, along with Naughton. See how they handle that.

One thing you need to consider, there is a big difference between the VFL and the AFL. I once asked Minson that question and he said, take it this way, he can easily pickup 30 disposals in the VFL.

In any case, the VFL does give us some indication on a players form.

Mofra
17-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Not fussed about Trengove playing, he can only play as the #1 ruck so unless we drop English or want to play Tim more forward I don’t see the point in playing Trengove.
He can replace Schache's 4 disposals and non competitiveness in the ruck, and also alllow English to spend a bit more time forward which may help him get through the season.

If need be he can chop out in defence - is he really that much slower than Casbault? Unless there's a fast break we will zone in defence and make Carlton bomb it in, it's how Roughy's been effective this year.

It won't happen as much as I'd like it to.

Mantis
17-04-2019, 10:34 AM
In: Lewis Young, Williams, Lipinski

Out: Richards, Gowers, Dickson

The balance of the team is still out of whack, but we need some extra height in defence which is why Young must play. Wood should really be dropped, but I can't see it happening.

Happy to give Schache one more game.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2019, 10:42 AM
He can replace Schache's 4 disposals and non competitiveness in the ruck, and also alllow English to spend a bit more time forward which may help him get through the season.

If need be he can chop out in defence - is he really that much slower than Casbault? Unless there's a fast break we will zone in defence and make Carlton bomb it in, it's how Roughy's been effective this year.

Agree. Even though Trengove is not a natural forward he can bash and crash the packs better and also at this stage ruck better than Schache. I like Scache but needs big improvement on his 4 disposals. His 4 goals were good previously but has to learn to stay in the game more and be more consistent.

bornadog
17-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Stevo makes a good point:

Big key forwards against Dogs this year:

R1: Reid 2, Buddy 1.
R2: Roughead 2.
R3: Burgess 1.
R4: Cox 1.

Three key backs in 2s, but not a problem so far! Carl land of talls may be more of a test ..

Bevo probably thinking in a similar way.

I would still bring in Trengove to help in rucks and drop back to CHB. Leave Schache up forward.

1eyedog
17-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Going in to bat a bit for Trengove. Cordy is undoubtedly being playing out of position and is struggling because of it. He's suited to the second tall role or even third tall role which allows Wood to step down the ladder and focus on his intercept skill set or even enabling to generate run. The form of Cordy and Wood are suffering because of the need to play tall, neither have fired a shot this year. Sure we haven't allowed opposition key talls to score heavily but as Mof said earlier a midget forward line will only get you so far for so long, for me it's time to make changes. Cordy and Wood are not strictly negating players, it's not their strengths.

Trengove's no world better but he's solid and still mobile enough to play on big forwards. He's strong enough too, pretty reliable decision maker and ok by foot. He's a man who knows how to play within his limitations and he has experience. No-one is going to totally destroy him because of all these attributes. Trengove has to replace Young. The benefit of having Young in the team is that we get games into him, great but he's clearly not ready and needs to keep learning his craft at VFL level. The benefit of having Trengove in the team over him is threefold. He can hold down a key back post, he can help English in the ruck and he can provide support for Cordy and Wood to, potentially, look at how they can influence a game rather than just purely defend.

Someone said earlier that we should just play Young because we aren't going to content. I feel that we are three or four critical moments from sitting on top of the ladder and are a very real prospect of playing finals this year. It's also important to win games for a number of other reasons. I'd play Trengove back and chop out English in the ruck.

In: Trengove
Out: Young

Axe Man
17-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Main problem with that is Young isn't in the team to drop for Trengove.

Ghost Dog
17-04-2019, 01:29 PM
One thing you need to consider, there is a big difference between the VFL and the AFL. I once asked Minson that question and he said, take it this way, he can easily pickup 30 disposals in the VFL.

In any case, the VFL does give us some indication on a players form.

I see your point. But that's not the players' fault. We ask them to perform at VFL level before they are selected. Fine. They get BOG. What else do they have to do? English gets injured and I think we will regret not selecting Trengrove.

bornadog
17-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Drop Gowers instead and Schache stays in forward line

Rocket Science
17-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Going in to bat a bit for Trengove. Cordy is undoubtedly being playing out of position and is struggling because of it. He's suited to the second tall role or even third tall role which allows Wood to step down the ladder and focus on his intercept skill set or even enabling to generate run. The form of Cordy and Wood are suffering because of the need to play tall, neither have fired a shot this year. Sure we haven't allowed opposition key talls to score heavily but as Mof said earlier a midget forward line will only get you so far for so long, for me it's time to make changes. Cordy and Wood are not strictly negating players, it's not their strengths.

Trengove's no world better but he's solid and still mobile enough to play on big forwards. He's strong enough too, pretty reliable decision maker and ok by foot. He's a man who knows how to play within his limitations and he has experience. No-one is going to totally destroy him because of all these attributes. Trengove has to replace Young. The benefit of having Young in the team is that we get games into him, great but he's clearly not ready and needs to keep learning his craft at VFL level. The benefit of having Trengove in the team over him is threefold. He can hold down a key back post, he can help English in the ruck and he can provide support for Cordy and Wood to, potentially, look at how they can influence a game rather than just purely defend.

Someone said earlier that we should just play Young because we aren't going to content. I feel that we are three or four critical moments from sitting on top of the ladder and are a very real prospect of playing finals this year. It's also important to win games for a number of other reasons. I'd play Trengove back and chop out English in the ruck.

What shot are we realistically waiting for Cordy to fire though? He's a versatile but honest stopper whose success is measured in pressure acts and mistakes limited. Is there an aggressive rebounder somewhere in there waiting to bloom?

Wood certainly, should be more proactive on that front but I'd be happy if he gets his defensive reads right again for now.

One thing's suddenly irking me and it's this: we basically torched the last two years on the altar of 'development' ... and we all agree it'd be ideal for Lewy Young to come on sooner rather than later. So why the hell was he virtually excommunicated last year?

I suspect he'd be a less iffy prospect about now with an extra dozen games on the speedo.

MrMahatma
17-04-2019, 02:44 PM
I wouldn’t change too much. We lost the last 2 matches due to mistakes and missed opportunities. I don’t think the overall most of the team is horrible given the options at VFL level don’t fix anything really.

Richards & Gowers would be on my watch list. So if we want change, could bring in Webb/Williams for Richards and Liopa for Gowers.

But it’s all much of a muchness.

whythelongface
17-04-2019, 03:11 PM
What shot are we realistically waiting for Cordy to fire though? He's a versatile but honest stopper whose success is measured in pressure acts and mistakes limited. Is there an aggressive rebounder somewhere in there waiting to bloom?

Wood certainly, should be more proactive on that front but I'd be happy if he gets his defensive reads right again for now.

One thing's suddenly irking me and it's this: we basically torched the last two years on the altar of 'development' ... and we all agree it'd be ideal for Lewy Young to come on sooner rather than later. So why the hell was he virtually excommunicated last year?

I suspect he'd be a less iffy prospect about now with an extra dozen games on the speedo.

I was thinking the same. What other role is Cordy expected to play.

Maybe I am alone here but in my opinion Cordy has been good. He seems to be playing a lock down role and is spoiling marking contests and doing the one percenters that every footy coach loves. I don't think it is our defence that is the issue. Sure bring in Trengove as the utility player but let's look at the area that needs addressing and that is our fwd 50 (whether it is structure or delivery).

hujsh
17-04-2019, 03:54 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6MbreL5DCuDIGq6k/giphy.gif

Please spare my heart from such torture.

Axe Man
17-04-2019, 03:57 PM
I was thinking the same. What other role is Cordy expected to play.

Maybe I am alone here but in my opinion Cordy has been good. He seems to be playing a lock down role and is spoiling marking contests and doing the one percenters that every footy coach loves. I don't think it is our defence that is the issue. Sure bring in Trengove as the utility player but let's look at the area that needs addressing and that is our fwd 50 (whether it is structure or delivery).

Completely agree. Cordy is playing the role he is suited to and playing it well. I think he is best suited to playing on the big forwards despite sometimes giving away some size. He isn't quick or agile enough to play on many smaller players. Given a reasonable chance he is rarely beaten in a contest and generally makes life difficult for opposition forwards. Not sure what else he is supposed to be doing?

bornadog
17-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Completely agree. Cordy is playing the role he is suited to and playing it well. I think he is best suited to playing on the big forwards despite sometimes giving away some size. He isn't quick or agile enough to play on many smaller players. Given a reasonable chance he is rarely beaten in a contest and generally makes life difficult for opposition forwards. Not sure what else he is supposed to be doing?

I disagree, Cordy is not a KPP, he is more your Morris type. Having said that he has battled hard and done well to date.

chef
17-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Cordy doesnt have the speed or agility to be a Morris type(someone who can play on anyone big or small).

Axe Man
17-04-2019, 04:48 PM
I disagree, Cordy is not a KPP, he is more your Morris type. Having said that he has battled hard and done well to date.

As Chef and I have pointed out Cordy just doesn't have the physical attributes to be a Morris type player.

I think you need to put his vital statistics to the side for a moment and judge him with your eyes. If you think he is regularly being beaten for size and strength then you must be seeing something I am not. If you don't see that then he is doing his job and I'm not sure what why we are even discussing this.

bornadog
17-04-2019, 05:00 PM
As Chef and I have pointed out Cordy just doesn't have the physical attributes to be a Morris type player.

I think you need to put his vital statistics to the side for a moment and judge him with your eyes. If you think he is regularly being beaten for size and strength then you must be seeing something I am not. If you don't see that then he is doing his job and I'm not sure what why we are even discussing this.

Sorry I should have said Morris type when Morris plays taller players. I said Cordy has done well to date, but we will see when Cordy has to front up to Lynch, or Kennedy, or Brown. We are killing the bloke just like we are killing Wood.

soupman
17-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Cordy is fine. He is a good defender, negates well, is versatile enough and ok with the ball. He is the best key defender on our list by a fair way aside from Naughton, who is the best tall on our list by a fair way. I would suggest that should he struggle on Kennedy, Brown or Lynch that will be just as much down to his teammates letting him down than anything he has done.

As for the Roughead departure, we traded him out because he was comfortably behind Cordy and Naughton in defence and English and Trengove in the ruck. Trengove is a very similiar player in stature and versatility but is much less injury prone.

Selection this week? Honestly i don't really know who we drop, everyone has either done enough to warrant selection or brings something different to the table.

English stays, he showed good signs around the ball, although his lack of hitouts is concerning. Not that i think it's necessarily important to him being a good player, but i can't think of any rucks that struggled to win hitouts early and then blossomed into an effective tap ruckman later. I have no doubts English will be a very good ruckman in every other facet of the game.

Trengove comes in for Schache I think, he is the only logical replacement for Schache should we drop him and returns our side to the 22 i expected at the start of the year, with Trengove starting ruck and basically working over the other teams ruck while English plays forward then runs the tired ruck around.

Gowers has been poor this season, but nobody else is capable of being the awkward physical target he is. I would have considered Greene as he is at least a natural forward but bad ankles scrap that. I;m worried that if we drop Gowers we play Bont forward more to give another target which i dont really want to happen.

Richards is the other dropping candidate, although I like what he offers he has done very little these last two weeks. Lipinski for him if we go that way.

1eyedog
17-04-2019, 07:04 PM

No shots I just think back to 2016 when he had the freedom to affect more contests. I know he played as a defensive forward a lot through the back end of 2016 but he seems to have gone from a third tall roaming type to a key position stopper. My feeling is he is too small and that his flexibility is being compromised due to his sacrifice for the team. He's tough player but he's going to be found out sooner or later. I don't think he's a key position player he's a slightly taller Hargrave. I guess we'll see and time will tell.

DOG GOD
17-04-2019, 07:14 PM
I wouldn’t mind dropping gowers and allowing Wallis to play more fwd, allowing dunks and McLean more guts time, where they are best served.

1eyedog
17-04-2019, 11:43 PM

My bad thx. My interest is a but meh and it shows.

bulldogtragic
17-04-2019, 11:47 PM
I wouldn’t mind dropping gowers and allowing Wallis to play more fwd, allowing dunks and McLean more guts time, where they are best served.

Best idea yet. McLean is being wasted up forward. His clean hands up the ground would be ideal, and Wallis is an accurate kick.

Kudos.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2019, 12:48 AM

I'd give Schache one more week but agree he's vulnerable.

Inevitably we'll need support for English soon, be it Trengove as a battering ram or Boyd when he's fit. I just don't think Trengove screams 'pick me' until English screams 'support me'.

I've watched Trengove closely when he's been in the back half for us and his positioning and reading of the play is terrible. This was really on show v Hawthorn last year. He's more mobile than Jordan Roughead yet impacts far less contests because he doesn't read the play and he doesn't take marks. Aside from being tall/a big body he genuinely offers nothing as a key defender IMO.

Having said all that, if Schache continues getting sub 10 disposals with no return on the scoreboard then it probably becomes a formality swap.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2019, 12:51 AM

+1 on this.

McLean has been ineffective forward and Dunkley's impact has been greatly reduced, helped by the fact he simply cannot kick accurately.

Gowers teases but it might be the right time to send him to the VFL, allowing Wallis to go forward and McLean/Dunkley to spend more minutes as a mid.

The Adelaide Connection
18-04-2019, 01:42 AM
There has to be a number of players on borrowed time and I feel like the Bevo of 2015 would have had pulled the trigger a few rounds ago.

I think the VFL having a bye complicates things and dropping anyone essentially rules them out for two (with no chance to prove themselves/get some confidence back). I predict we will go unchanged.

Hopefully we can play near to our best and put them to the sword and play the likes of Gowers and Schache back into some form.

LostDoggy
18-04-2019, 05:49 AM
+1 on this.

McLean has been ineffective forward and Dunkley's impact has been greatly reduced, helped by the fact he simply cannot kick accurately.

Gowers teases but it might be the right time to send him to the VFL, allowing Wallis to go forward and McLean/Dunkley to spend more minutes as a mid.

I agree.

Is this a development year or a tilt year? We have shown that it’s a bit of both, we need to keep deploying our young guys but we have a chance of making finals, who knows where we could be in position and player development by the end of the year. There’s a bit of 2015 about us.

So..
I see no harm in giving English a short break in vfl to focus on his tap work and recover physically for Trengove to replace him for a couple of weeks. I’d have English playing 15 games this year and Trengove 7 as an approximation.

Schack had a breakout game and his best very recently. Persist.

Cordy is a gun, he needs an extra tall down back.

Young is that tall, persist. He’s had a break.

Richards is a gun, persist unless he needs a rest. Carried the team against Port last year.

Out: Duryea/Wood
In: Young

The other temporary change is Billy for Lippa or Greene. Three boys fighting for a spot.

LostDoggy
18-04-2019, 05:52 AM
Realistically, we are not far from a final on exposed form.

LostDoggy
18-04-2019, 06:29 AM
Ina similar vein.. Baileys Smith and Williams interchangeable until one or most likely both prove themselves undroppable.

LostDoggy
18-04-2019, 06:32 AM
I agree.

Is this a development year or a tilt year? We have shown that it’s a bit of both, we need to keep deploying our young guys but we have a chance of making finals, who knows where we could be in position and player development by the end of the year. There’s a bit of 2015 about us.

So..
I see no harm in giving English a short break in vfl to focus on his tap work and recover physically for Trengove to replace him for a couple of weeks. I’d have English playing 15 games this year and Trengove 7 as an approximation.

Schack had a breakout game and his best very recently. Persist.

Cordy is a gun, he needs an extra tall down back.

Young is that tall, persist. He’s had a break.

Richards is a gun, persist unless he needs a rest. Carried the team against Port last year.

Out: Duryea/Wood
In: Young

The other temporary change is Billy for Lippa or Greene. Three boys fighting for a spot.

Scratch Greene through injury

hujsh
18-04-2019, 10:37 AM
I agree.

Feels a bit like a 'just miss finals but show good signs' year.

A 2005 perhaps

The Pie Man
18-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Think Brad Lynch might be ready - our forward line is crying out for some pace and creativity
With Libba back, I'm not sure Dunkley is first choice. Put McLean in the middle, Wallis forward with Lynch.

In: Lynch, Trengove
Out: Gowers, Dunkley

I'm loving Bailey Smith - just wonder if he might need a spell given his youth (9 day break probably takes care of that)
Schache one more chance...maybe
I'd like to see Young back despite some concerns, not sure who for though - probably Richards.

Bulldog4life
18-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Bevo said in his presser there will be a couple of changes before saying 1 or 2 changes.

The Adelaide Connection
18-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Bevo said in his presser there will be a couple of changes before saying 1 or 2 changes.

Article with the wrap up of his presser. Sounds like Trengove is a strong possibility.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-18/bont-v-cripps-an-entree-rather-than-main-course-bevo

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-04-2019, 04:28 PM
On Facebook, footage of Bevo addressing the players announcing Hayes and Lachie Young will debut this week.

Congrats to both lads. I'm a bit puzzled with their selection, especially Hayes. But i hope they both do well.

Remi Moses
18-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Just saw it on the club website
Hayes and Lachie Young to debut
Go well fellas

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 04:34 PM
So we are back to Bevo's baffling selections! That usually bodes well for our results so hopefully that holds true on Sunday.

What exactly has Williams done to fall behind Lachie Young?

The Adelaide Connection
18-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Just saw it on the club website
Hayes and Lachie Young to debut
Go well fellas

I am assuming that there won’t be a third change and if so Lipinski must be one frustrated unit. He seems like he has had the best form in the VFL over the last four weeks albeit playing in the wrong role for a call up maybe.

Rocket Science
18-04-2019, 04:38 PM
I suppose if you're going to trial Hayes against anyone it may as well be the LOL Blues.

So who gets the hook? And is one of our signature surprise-surprise midweek injuries the catalyst?

angelopetraglia
18-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Truly baffling. We all know officially nothing. “You know nothing Woofers”.

Will now wait to see who is out.

Mantis
18-04-2019, 05:11 PM
#inbevowetrust

bornadog
18-04-2019, 05:29 PM
So we are back to Bevo's baffling selections! That usually bodes well for our results so hopefully that holds true on Sunday.

What exactly has Williams done to fall behind Lachie Young?

Williams hasn't been setting the world on fire, plus I heard he had off field issues (not confirmed)

kruder
18-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Bevo continues to play the long game...

Axe Man
18-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Williams hasn't been setting the world on fire, plus I heard he had off field issues (not confirmed)

Yeah my comment was with your previous post in mind. What exactly has Williams done to fall from grace so quickly?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Not sure I would have picked those ins if I had 50 guesses.

They seem to really rate Young. Looked a bit off the pace in JLT so I’m surprised given more senior listed players should be ahead of him. Interesting.

merantau
18-04-2019, 07:21 PM
So two players who I don't think have been mentioned in this thread get called up. The MC works in mysterious ways. It is not for us mere mortals to divine the will of the MC.

westdog54
18-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Schache omitted, Duryea and Suckling injured.

Trengove, Jong, B.Williams, Lipinski and Roarke Smith join Hayes and Young in the extended squad.

ratsmac
Bevo playing funny buggers again it would seem.

Grantysghost
Schache dropped. My man Jackson back.

westdog54
18-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Trengove looks like a straight swap for Schache, and given the debuts have been announced they're probably the only 3 changes.

angelopetraglia
Williams named in back pocket. Does that mean he is definitely in?

Grantysghost
Schache omitted, Duryea and Suckling injured.

Trengove, Jong, B.Williams, Lipinski and Roarke Smith join Hayes and Young in the extended squad.

Trengove has to get a game he's been dominant, and we lack what he brings.

Rocket Science
18-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Pity about Suckers. Whenever he's found some form continuity seems to elude him.

Given Young and Hayes have been anointed and assuming Trengove's a dead cert in lieu of Schache the rest listed are just window dressing.

ratsmac
18-04-2019, 07:45 PM

I'm pretty sure it does

The Pie Man
18-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Believe so - if Trengove comes in, it’s one of Lloyd or Smith out

Bullies
18-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Gowers obviously still has those pictures of Bevo

Rocco Jones
18-04-2019, 08:18 PM
Like everyone, I struggle to predict or explain Bevo's moves but 2016 is where the argument starts and ends I guess.

I am guessing that forward pressure is the selection theme of the week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-04-2019, 08:33 PM

Williams is in our best 22. Need to be careful that we continue to play fringe players from other AFL Clubs including Duryea Suckling Gowers Lloyd etc at the expense of talented young players secured via the draft.

GVGjr
18-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Yeah my comment was with your previous post in mind. What exactly has Williams done to fall from grace so quickly?

Based on what we know, he's done nothing wrong and just didnt have a great game at the start of the season. The fact hes been named in an extended squad should mean hus form is good enough now.

kruder
18-04-2019, 10:18 PM
Pity about Suckers. Whenever he's found some form continuity seems to elude him.

Given Young and Hayes have been anointed and assuming Trengove's a dead cert in lieu of Schache the rest listed are just window dressing.

Agree, Sucking has been great for us.

dog town
18-04-2019, 11:44 PM
Suckling is a massive out.

It’s a tough one with Schache. How do you weigh up long term development versus team success. Schache is improving but it means that a team that plays a territory brand of football has a 200cm statue not applying pressure. My rule with big guys is that they need to play like big guys when forward. Schache hasn’t taken enough marks to justify the lack of pressure. Even his game against Hawthorn most of them were not true forward goals. Looks like Bevo has decided to put winning over development for a while.

boydogs
19-04-2019, 12:10 AM
Bevo has decided to put winning over development for a while.

Bringing in two debutants says otherwise

G-Mo77
19-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Schache was awful. They'd need the hose to clean the pigeon poo off him because he was basically a statue Friday night. When did Dureya and Suckling get injured?

So are Hayes and Young locked into start? You'd hope Trengove would be in as well unless we're going to pinch hit Dunkley in the ruck again. Baffling selections.

GVGjr
19-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Interesting selections so far and while its great to get debut players replaycing experienced players with inexperienced ones could be a gamble.

bornadog
19-04-2019, 09:59 AM
So are Hayes and Young locked into start? .

Yes locked in. Video of Bevo telling them here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-04-18/hayes-young-get-the-call-up)

BulldogBelle
19-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Hayes' VFL games were good with the exception that several kicks went astray. He kicks those goals that he missed and he's in the best. But no worse than the senior AFL team I suppose where missing goals is the norm.

Young has been showing some promise and took a spectacular high contested mark against Collingwood last week. His inclusion this early is a bit of surprise but Bev likes to give everybody a senior game.

Jeanette54
19-04-2019, 03:44 PM
I watched the Collingwood/Brisbane game last night, and thought how good was the job our midfield and defense do last week (well for three quarters) ? With no pressure and with the time allowed by Brisbane to let Collingwood deliver the ball to their forwards, they were pretty impressive. Whatever our midfield/backline are doing, they are doing it well.

ratsmac
19-04-2019, 04:47 PM
Hayes seems to be Honeychurch mark II to me. Plenty of heart with terrible skills. Good luck to him though. Hopefully he is a big time player and steps up in the big league.

Young I have barely seen him kick a sherrin. Looks pretty light but looks a good height. Hopefully we have found a player here.

I can't understand playing 2 debutants when we have others that look to have earned their place back in the team also. But what would I know? Bevo has never been one to go with the norm so to speak and it got us a premiership all the way back in 2016. Now that I think of it the "norm" actually got us bugger all for 50 odd years so why not I say!! In Bevo we trust.

Ghost Dog
19-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Blooding a youngster who has deserved it does a huge amount for morale. I think this smacks of Bevo the journeyman player, who loves to develop young people. I love the move and it's a risk, but need to take them.

lemmon
19-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Wonder if Bevo thinks Young can be a hybrid type that plays tall and small? It's a big Carlton forward line.

The Pie Man
19-04-2019, 06:27 PM
No Trengove - amongst some really weird sides named in the last 4 years, this ranks as possibly the weirdest

bulldogtragic
19-04-2019, 06:29 PM
No Trengove - amongst some really weird sides named in the last 4 years, this ranks as possibly the weirdest

So Naughton relief rucking. Bevo stealing my awesome ideas again... Sorry WD54.

angelopetraglia
19-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Who is the back up ruckman?

G-Mo77
19-04-2019, 06:31 PM

I'm already feeling sorry for English, hope there is a late change. The poor kid got eaten alive last week and will be worked over again pretty hard on Sunday.

G-Mo77
19-04-2019, 06:32 PM

How tall are you?

angelopetraglia
19-04-2019, 06:35 PM
How tall are you?

175cm and it nearly qualifies me in this team ...

Hotdog60
19-04-2019, 06:37 PM
I'll nominate my son who was ruck for the state under 12's in 2005 and hasn't played since but he's available.

Rocket Science
19-04-2019, 06:50 PM
So it's Hayes, Young and welcome back Bailey Williams.

comrade
19-04-2019, 06:54 PM
How does Hayes get a gig before Lipinski, who has literally dominated every game he's played this year?

Mantis
19-04-2019, 07:01 PM
I really have no idea about footy as I could have 1000 guesses and not come up with those changes.

Live by the sword and all that.

Doc26
19-04-2019, 07:03 PM
How does Hayes get a gig before Lipinski, who has literally dominated every game he's played this year?

I don’t understand this either.

#InBevoLittleTrust

ratsmac
19-04-2019, 08:04 PM

It's baffling if you ask me.

bornadog
19-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Dunkley

bornadog
19-04-2019, 08:10 PM

listen to Gia's wrap up of the VFL and I think the answer is there

comrade
19-04-2019, 08:32 PM
listen to Gia's wrap up of the VFL and I think the answer is there

Can you give me the cliff notes?

bornadog
19-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Can you give me the cliff notes?

Listen here

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2019-04-16/vfl-report-round-two

hujsh
19-04-2019, 08:50 PM
I am absolutely no clearer on what you consider the answer to be. I do know that Gia likes to use the phrase 'had an impact' even more than McCartney liked 'cracking in' and Bell likes to take a 'conservative approach' and 'tick all the boxes'

bornadog
19-04-2019, 09:09 PM
I am absolutely no clearer on what you consider the answer to be. I do know that Gia likes to use the phrase 'had an impact' even more than McCartney liked 'cracking in' and Bell likes to take a 'conservative approach' and 'tick all the boxes'

Ok he says Lippa has been playing as an inside mid in VFL games whereas at AFL level, it has been mainly on the wing. What I read into it was Gia wants him to work more on his inside skills and isn't ready yet to take that role in the AFL. At AFL he is competing against other wingers.

The Pie Man
19-04-2019, 09:24 PM
Ok he says Lippa has been playing as an inside mid in VFL games whereas at AFL level, it has been mainly on the wing. What I read into it was Gia wants him to work more on his inside skills and isn't ready yet to take that role in the AFL. At AFL he is competing against other wingers.

So we’re doing a Lukas Webb to him - guessing we won’t see Lippa until the 2nd half of the year

bulldogtragic
19-04-2019, 09:52 PM
So we’re doing a Lukas Webb to him - guessing we won’t see Lippa until the 2nd half of the year

Then dropping him after a few quiet games. Why would we want a high half forward, whose got good entry skills and an accurate goal kick usually? Or a good HBF with a booming left foot like Webby. We need more inside mids to share the forward 50 with Dunkley.

It makes sense from a consistency standpoint. We've Tom Boyd'd Schache whose had a good game and a few quiet games trying to juggle being a KPF and ruck, despite never rucking, so he's dropped. Queue the 'fans' saying if he can't kick goals and can't ruck all in the same game then why did we trade for him and bother having him around.

G-Mo77
19-04-2019, 10:53 PM
BT last week he was just terrible. He didn't make a contest anywhere he went and we probably would have been better off sitting him and playing one down. I agree, he's a forward not a ruck/forward and another player forced to play out of position due to our inability to manage a list. Our MC/coach get too cute at the selection table and now we're set to run out with a kid who has to ruck 98% of the game and another kid to hold down a KPF role all by himself with no help. We need to play the long game with these kids. They're going to be good, I haven't seen a player like Naughton since Chris Grant. In no way shape or form should we be burning them out.

bulldogtragic
19-04-2019, 11:49 PM
BT last week he was just terrible. He didn't make a contest anywhere he went and we probably would have been better off sitting him and playing one down. I agree, he's a forward not a ruck/forward and another player forced to play out of position due to our inability to manage a list. Our MC/coach get too cute at the selection table and now we're set to run out with a kid who has to ruck 98% of the game and another kid to hold down a KPF role all by himself with no help. We need to play the long game with these kids. They're going to be good, I haven't seen a player like Naughton since Chris Grant. In no way shape or form should we be burning them out.

Yep. Our talent profile is building really well. The development decisions and forcing them into foreign roles might not be the best way to get the best out of them. The selections and rationales this week in particular are just weird. Bevo & the MC had a good run 15/16. But since, their credits in the bank are used up. Like you I hope we don’t burn them up, or stuff up their development. I can’t say my confidence is sky high that neither will eventuate.

dog town
20-04-2019, 12:35 AM
Who is the alternative to relieve in the ruck if not Schache in those games BT?

bornadog
20-04-2019, 12:59 AM
Yep. Our talent profile is building really well. The development decisions and forcing them into foreign roles might not be the best way to get the best out of them. The selections and rationales this week in particular are just weird. Bevo & the MC had a good run 15/16. But since, their credits in the bank are used up. Like you I hope we don’t burn them up, or stuff up their development. I can’t say my confidence is sky high that neither will eventuate.

Who have we burnt?

G-Mo77
20-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Who have we burnt?

No one yet. English will be the first if we continue this way.

GVGjr
20-04-2019, 09:23 AM
No one yet. English will be the first if we continue this way.

We burned him last year when he was showing signs of fatigue but we kept playing him a couple of games more which resulted in a decent spell on the sidelines while injured.
I think he would benefit with some support this week after copping a hiding last week but now he will be backed up by Dunkley and will probably need push himself a bit further. I hope Boyd gets fit enough soon so Englush has some support

LostDoggy
20-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Yep we overloaded English last yr and he copped a bone stress injury (as did two.other players).

We almost deserve to lose against Carlton with the lack of respect being shown to tbeir tall players pretty much playing just the 3 talls with about 100 games between them. All while Trengove chops it up at VFL level (and did well in the ruck in the ones at the end of last yr).

Meanwhile in Hayes, we haved added another ball butcher to a team already loaded to the gills with suspect users. (Bont, Dunkley and Gowers can't kick at goal while JJ, Wallis, Dunkley and Hunter all struggle with their field kicking).

Carlton are that bad we may get away with it but then we've already lost to GCS.

Just hope English doesn't get injured (again).

kruder
20-04-2019, 10:31 AM
I Love Bevo but he is so frustrating at the selection table. Are we trying to get a spike off two debutants to avoid complacency against Carlton?

GVGjr
20-04-2019, 11:19 AM
I Love Bevo but he is so frustrating at the selection table. Are we trying to get a spike off two debutants to avoid complacency against Carlton?

While I find the selections baffling most weeks, surely the results from the first 2 weeks of the season by going in with a smaller line-up and winning 50/50 type games buys Bevo some latitude? It's highly unconventional but outside of the lass to GC it seems to have been competitive. While I'm expecting a good win I must admit though a loss tomorrow would test my patience.

Something doesn't quite sit well with me given that good performances at Footscray don't seem to matter at the selection table.
Hopefully there is a bigger picture at play that most of us aren't privy to.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Who have we burnt?

We burned him last year when he was showing signs of fatigue but we kept playing him a couple of games more which resulted in a decent spell on the sidelines while injured.
I think he would benefit with some support this week after copping a hiding last week but now he will be backed up by Dunkley and will probably need push himself a bit further. I hope Boyd gets fit enough soon so Englush has some support

Agree on English. I'd add Tom Boyd. Webb's development HBF/inside mid/forward flank in AFEL hasn't been ideal. Schache rucking isn't doing much for his development or the team. All I want is for these talented kids to bloom into their potential.

Rocket Science
20-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Agree on English. I'd add Tom Boyd. Webb's development HBF/inside mid/forward flank in AFEL hasn't been ideal. Schache rucking isn't doing much for his development or the team. All I want is for these talented kids to bloom into their potential.

Can we add the Wood as forward trial while we're at it which the skipper's clearly never recovered from.

dog town
20-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Carlton’s backline is very tall. I dare say the plan is to try and expose that. We probably don’t want to be forced into playing a resting ruck or extra KPP forward.

kruder
20-04-2019, 02:34 PM
While I find the selections baffling most weeks, surely the results from the first 2 weeks of the season by going in with a smaller line-up and winning 50/50 type games buys Bevo some latitude? It's highly unconventional but outside of the lass to GC it seems to have been competitive. While I'm expecting a good win I must admit though a loss tomorrow would test my patience.

Something doesn't quite sit well with me given that good performances at Footscray don't seem to matter at the selection table.
Hopefully there is a bigger picture at play that most of us aren't privy to.

There is going to be a whole lot of chocolate melt if we loose this one. Its great to see that he has got the place humming again but you need wins to keep/ build on it. Do we really need to play two rookies? Do we really need to have a developing ruckman as the only ruck in the team? Thats just a couple questions I have. In this competition atm there is a fine line between pleasure and pain, Im not sure we are giving the side every chance to succeed.

Before I Die
20-04-2019, 02:54 PM
I'm as confused as the next person, but really only one of the selections is hard to understand.

We lost Duryea and Suckling to injury. Williams and La Young are the best performed like for like replacements from Footscray. Schache provided nothing last week and his demotion is not surprising if justifiably debatable. The question is why replace him with Hayes?
Is the plan to have Bont spend more time forward? I hope not, though bringing in another mid-fielder means somebody is going to spend less time in the centre. Especially as Williams may get some time there too.
Gowers to FF will be nothing new.
Who rucks? Clearly Bevo doesn't care about losing the hit outs, nothing new there. So the answer probably is anyone except Caleb Daniel.

I am concerned about McKay, Curnow (not that tall), Kreuzer and Weitering (if he has no match up down back) getting hold of us up forward, but that really comes down to the mid-field, which is where we have played all our cards.

bornadog
20-04-2019, 03:45 PM

English - We have put a lot of faith in the kid as our number one ruck, but hardly burnt the guy. Yeah he got an injury last year.

Boyd - Got me baffled here, just because you don't like him in the ruck?

Webb - He has been given lots of chances but just isn't up to AFL standard at this stage. Hopefully he improves

Schache - 5 min chop outs in the ruck is hardly burning him. Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball and do the same.

bulldogtragic
20-04-2019, 04:02 PM
English - We have put a lot of faith in the kid as our number one ruck, but hardly burnt the guy. Yeah he got an injury last year.

Boyd - Got me baffled here, just because you don't like him in the ruck?

Webb - He has been given lots of chances but just isn't up to AFL standard at this stage. Hopefully he improves

Schache - 5 min chop outs in the ruck is hardly burning him. Schache needs to watch how Naughton attacks the ball and do the same.

My original post talked about burning, AND issues of developing talent. I think this is an area we can improve upon.

bornadog
20-04-2019, 04:16 PM
My original post talked about burning, AND issues of developing talent. I think this is an area we can improve upon.

Personally I don't see any issues with player development. Go through the best 22 and see how many are under 23 and how good they are. Cordy, Bont, Naughton, Mclean, Dunks, Williams, Daniel, to name a few

G-Mo77
20-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Personally I don't see any issues with player development. Go through the best 22 and see how many are under 23 and how good they are. Cordy, Bont, Naughton, Mclean, Dunks, Williams, Daniel, to name a few

I have issues with burning them out before they're developed. English needs help. He's a kid who has a long career in front of him why can't we get our sole backup ruck/fwd/fwd a shot to help him out? Yeah there are games to be won and we'll probably win tomorrow but we'll destroy the kid before he even reaches is prime the way we're going.

I'm still hoping for a late change and Trengove comes in.

FrediKanoute
20-04-2019, 06:57 PM
On the subject of the rucks and English getting torched by Grundy in particular, Murphy and Anstey on Freedom in a cage provided a good stat. Whilst English lost the hit out 6 to 60 ( or something like that). The percentage that Grundy won that went to Collingwood's advantage was small, say 10%. A ruckman has a bigger influence around the ground and this is where English needs to develop and contribute. If he provides a contest at a ruck duel that is enough. What I like in the last was that he was barely competing, but essentially becoming an additional mid in the centre. It didn't work ultimately, but it will work against some other teams. Will he burn out? I dont think so. Not this season anyway. He needs the game time to develop and build that tank because that is where he is going to really hurt the opposition.

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 05:46 PM
What shits me with selection is this. Schache was poor last week no debate. But there's no factoring how poor the forward entries were.

Now this week, a range of players filtered through the position he would've held, and they by and large did bugger all because mids were putting it high up in the high, while the forward was outnumbers two or three to one.

With ball entry like this, no one is going to do much, not even if you can catch it like Naughton, who did not much at all. Is that MC going to drop one or two unimpactful mid sized forwards for doing bugger all, on the standard applied to Schache? Probably not, and today showed it doesn't matter how tall you are, or small you are, whether you were drafted high, or rookie listed, that 64% efficiency and horrible entries means your stats are directly shithouse. At least Schache is a very reliable shot unlike the horrific conversation we put up this year.

If we continue to drop Boyd & Schache for not doing enough as a forward when they're not bring given advantage by those kicking it towards them, then we are truly insane. Their smaller replacements have the same problem, and God willing when the coaches review the game they'll see that butchered balls forward make it exceptionally hard to do anything whatsoever, big or small. So maybe fix up these skills ASAP??

DOG GOD
21-04-2019, 05:52 PM
What shits me with selection is this. Schache was poor last week no debate. But there's no factoring how poor the forward entries were.

Now this week, a range of players filtered through the position he would've held, and they by and large did bugger all because mids were putting it high up in the high, while the forward was outnumbers two or three to one.

With ball entry like this, no one is going to do much, not even if you can catch it like Naughton, who did not much at all. Is that MC going to drop one or two unimpactful mid sized forwards for doing bugger all, on the standard applied to Schache? Probably not, and today showed it doesn't matter how tall you are, or small you are, whether you were drafted high, or rookie listed, that 64% efficiency and horrible entries means your stats are directly shithouse. At least Schache is a very reliable shot unlike the horrific conversation we put up this year.

If we continue to drop Boyd & Schache for not doing enough as a forward when they're not bring given advantage by those kicking it towards them, then we are truly insane. Their smaller replacements have the same problem, and God willing when the coaches review the game they'll see that butchered balls forward make it exceptionally hard to do anything whatsoever, big or small. So maybe fix up these skills ASAP??

It’s common sense to all on here, so why the F*** are the MC completely blinded by the obvious. Arrogance or just plain stupidity?

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 05:59 PM
It’s common sense to all on here, so why the F*** are the MC completely blinded by the obvious. Arrogance or just plain stupidity?

I think earlier in this thread or early in the game day thread, I said I thought the selections risked being signs of over confident and perhaps hubris. I'm biased, but I think I was right.