PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee R6, Vs Fremantle

Scraggers
05-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 5 match against Carlton for our Round 6, 2019 match against Fremantle Dockers at Perth Stadium?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
21-04-2019, 04:47 PM
I don't care, because I won't guess it in 10,000 guesses. They don't seem to care either, so whatever.

DOG GOD
21-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Pull 22 names out of a hat, and throw them up in the air and see where they fall on the whiteboard.

comrade
21-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Pull 22 names out of a hat, and throw them up in the air and see where they fall on the whiteboard.

Pretty sure that’s what happened today. It’s the only way to explain Gowers playing significant midfield minutes, with Libba twiddling his thumbs in the forward line.

bornadog
21-04-2019, 05:56 PM
Hard to say if we don't know the extent of the injuries to Duryea and Suckling. But if they aren't available.

In: Trengove, Lew Young, Lippa, Lynch

Out: Gowers, Williams, Dickson, Lloyd

DOG GOD
21-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Hard to say if we don't know the extent of the injuries to Duryea and Suckling. But if they aren't available.

In: Trengove, Lew Young, Lippa, Lynch

Out: Gowers, Williams, Dickson, Lloyd

We look more balanced already.

Rocket Science
21-04-2019, 07:02 PM
https://i.ibb.co/bNwYCzB/bevo-bingo.jpg (https://ibb.co/fr6Zy4p)

Pickenitup
21-04-2019, 09:34 PM
This team is crying out for structure we simply must Play Trengove fwd ruck or back just play him.Id give Fletcher Roberts another go he has performed well in finals .Lipinski has to play been smashing the door down in the Vfl.Hopefully Suckling can come up not sure who Bevo will drop but Gowers needs a spell .Hopefully Tom Boyd can play well in VFL cause he will be vital for us .

Bumper Bulldogs
21-04-2019, 10:10 PM
What’s it matter. We are screwed. We have made Bolten look like a senior coach. We surely will do the same fir Ross.

anfo27
21-04-2019, 11:12 PM

Genuinely hilarious! A lot of negativity after a poor loss, i get it but this is what i'm looking for. Great post!

bornadog
22-04-2019, 12:11 AM

Hilarious

westbulldog
22-04-2019, 12:52 AM
Freo are flying atm, next Sunday forecast to be 30 degrees here, albeit cooler with the 6.10pm start on a hard deck at Optus with a hostile crowd. Mundy deservedly plays his 300th, good player, good bloke. If ever there is a time for our team to stand up it is now, lets see who has the guts and drive to take a stand. That means you Cordy, Wood, Williams, LLoyd, Dickson, Richards, Hunter and Gowers. MC to stop giving so much selection credence to Gulliver's travels. Trengove and Lipinski in plus one of Lewis Young, Boyd (forward), Schache (who needs to seriously impact forward contests). Naughton plays back otherwise Taberner will do a McKay, Dunkley gloves Fyfe all day as does JJ to Walters.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2019, 10:28 AM
Can anyone please enlighten me on what Fletcher Roberts has done wrong?

He is 196cm. Has played 49 games. He played a crucial role in our Premiership (where we played two tall defenders, plus Wood and Morris).

Grantysghost
22-04-2019, 10:33 AM

He is 196cm. Has played 49 games. He played a crucial role in our Premiership (where we played two tall defenders, plus Wood and Morris).

Yet we now insist on playing midgets on giants. Cordy does play tall but he is only 191cm and was asked to play on players who are above 200cm.

When he spoke yesterday (very well I might add) he was positive and hopeful of a recall although he also discussed he's studying a psychology degree so hes preparing for life after footy as he should. Must be something he's not doing right but I can't pick it.

G-Mo77
22-04-2019, 12:44 PM
When he spoke yesterday (very well I might add) he was positive and hopeful of a recall although he also discussed he's studying a psychology degree so hes preparing for life after footy as he should. Must be something he's not doing right but I can't pick it.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope he gets a call up. We won a flag with the help of everyone falling over and Hamling getting a default call up and he was awesome when given a shot, he was delisted in everyone's eyes before that. No harm in giving him another chance. What have we got to lose?

Bulldog4life
22-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Freo are flying atm, next Sunday forecast to be 30 degrees here, albeit cooler with the 6.10pm start on a hard deck at Optus with a hostile crowd. Mundy deservedly plays his 300th, good player, good bloke. If ever there is a time for our team to stand up it is now, lets see who has the guts and drive to take a stand. That means you Cordy, Wood, Williams, LLoyd, Dickson, Richards, Hunter and Gowers. MC to stop giving so much selection credence to Gulliver's travels. Trengove and Lipinski in plus one of Lewis Young, Boyd (forward), Schache (who needs to seriously impact forward contests). Naughton plays back otherwise Taberner will do a McKay, Dunkley gloves Fyfe all day as does JJ to Walters.

Isn't the game Saurday night?

Bullies
22-04-2019, 01:41 PM

I don't think he skates with Bevo.

westbulldog
22-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Isn't the game Saurday night?

yep, my bad

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
22-04-2019, 04:12 PM

I wonder this too. He can play back or forward what’s the problem?

DOG GOD
22-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Obviously Roberts did something to Bevo post grand final, coz he’s hardly been sighted since.
Not sure what the exact problem is. He was serviceable in the GF and once Hamling left, he should’ve been a main stay in our 22 depending on injury etc, but Bevo obviously doesn’t rate him, or the MC for that matter, yet they extend his contract. Doesn’t make much sense at all.

soupman
22-04-2019, 05:32 PM
About round 8 2017 Roberts had played every game and was about 7th in our best and fairest. 2 weeks later he was dropped and has been barely sighted since.

So clearly when he was playing the coaches rated his input, but at some point their opinions flipped completely.

Now I'm not saying I rate him or that he is the answer, but I find it amazing that we are so keen to keep a player on our lost that we refuse to use under any circumstances, much like the Campbell scenario the last couple of years as well.

The Pie Man
22-04-2019, 06:17 PM
Dixon kicked 5 in Fletch’s last game, and I remember Taylor Walker (and not for the first time) embarrassing him for strength & speed in Adelaide 2017.

I’m thankful for his prelim/GF fortnight and for fighting back so well from being dropped for the WCE elimination final....but I’m really comfortable with the line through his name.

DOG GOD
22-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Dixon kicked 5 in Fletch’s last game, and I remember Taylor Walker (and not for the first time) embarrassing him for strength & speed in Adelaide 2017.

I’m thankful for his prelim/GF fortnight and for fighting back so well from being dropped for the WCE elimination final....but I’m really comfortable with the line through his name.

Then why give him an extension Pie Man ? I think that’s the main query .

bornadog
22-04-2019, 06:42 PM
I don't think he skates with Bevo.

You are so funny

bornadog
22-04-2019, 06:43 PM

I doubt Sam Power would

Eastdog
22-04-2019, 08:16 PM
yep, my bad

Are you going to the game westbulldog? Hopefully we put up a better performance.

Mantis
22-04-2019, 08:59 PM
I'm all for dropping Hunter, Wallis, Dickson, Wood & Cordy.

I'm playing Naughton & Lewis Young as our 2 key defenders... and sticking them there for 10 years. Time to swallow your pride Bevo!

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-04-2019, 09:47 PM
I'm all for dropping Hunter, Wallis, Dickson, Wood & Cordy.

I'm playing Naughton & Lewis Young as our 2 key defenders... and sticking them there for 10 years. Time to swallow your pride Bevo!

I would retain Wood who together with Maclean and Richards has been played out of position. I have always admired Cordy’s competitive spirit and could improvise once again at CHF. Dunkley much like Hunter and Wallis is a poor user of the ball whether as a mid fielder or up forward which is a growing concern given our poor disposal.

GVGjr
22-04-2019, 11:02 PM
I would retain Wood who together with Maclean and Richards has been played out of position. I have always admired Cordy’s competitive spirit and could improvise once again at CHF. Dunkley much like Hunter and Wallis is a poor user of the ball whether as a mid fielder or up forward which is a growing concern given our poor disposal.

Wood had just 3 kicks for the game and 2 of them were missed shots for goals. 3 kicks just isn't cutting it. His output has been disappointing and it's been a while since he has strung together some decent games.

You talk of ball use but surely Suckling coming back would be a far better option? He gets more of the ball and does vastly more with it plus he takes the game on.

Wood has had 2 quiet years before this one and the signs so far aren't positive. We would expect most players to adapt but for some reason so many people expect that the MC provides him with a favourable match-up and if they don't it's not the players fault if he doesn't perform. I get that he is the captain but how much longer do we lower the levels of expectations with him?

Scorlibo
23-04-2019, 01:29 AM
Wood had just 3 kicks for the game and 2 of them were missed shots for goals. 3 kicks just isn't cutting it. His output has been disappointing and it's been a while since he has strung together some decent games.

You talk of ball use but surely Suckling coming back would be a far better option? He gets more of the ball and does vastly more with it plus he takes the game on.

Wood has had 2 quiet years before this one and the signs so far aren't positive. We would expect most players to adapt but for some reason so many people expect that the MC provides him with a favourable match-up and if they don't it's not the players fault if he doesn't perform. I get that he is the captain but how much longer do we lower the levels of expectations with him?

To be fair he's playing as a key defender for the first time in his career. Whether or not you like the selection decisions you can at least appreciate that even senior players will suffer a learning curve when taking on a new role.

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 03:47 AM
To be fair he's playing as a key defender for the first time in his career. Whether or not you like the selection decisions you can at least appreciate that even senior players will suffer a learning curve when taking on a new role.

I'm taking a longer term view on his output than just this season and as I initially stated, it's been a while since he has put together some good games.
If you can't play tall or forward and you don't get a lot if the ball and when you do you don't have a high skill level you become an average player at best.
I know he's the captain but he needs to be a lot better than he has been. He's not the intercept beast he once was and doesn't gave the skill level to cover it when the ball is is on the ground

Richards and Naughton are being asked to perform different roles as have so many others but Wood's lack of form seems to be often explained that he is being asked to play out of his comfort zone. As a player is he really that important to us that we need to plan around providing him favourable match-ups?

Bumper Bulldogs
23-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Ok guys I’ve had a little time to get over the disappointment of the Carlton loss. Well let’s hope so. As Bevo is not going to drop our premiership captain do we play him as the swing man is role that Daniel is currently in. Give him three weeks to regain the form or see ya later. I know his disposal can be average at time but we won a flag with him in that role. Move Daniel up on the wing forward flank. That addresses some disposal into the forward 50. Suckers back in and the back six is set.
Libba 90% time as a mid. Dunks with a run with role. Trengrove come in for fir Lloyd and a Wallis to play 90% forward. So happy for the kids to get another game as I thought they hand a go. Bevo will never drop anyone after the first game.

These couple of ins give stuck suppler, forward line grunt, backline backup. And should help create goals. If the 666 is better I wouldn’t mind Daniel linking up making threats 50 enteries. Oh and stoops the Tall forward/ruck getting behind the zone and being one on one with a midget

Go_Dogs
23-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Cordy, Naughton, Crozier
JJ, Le Young, Daniel
Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
McLean, Schache, Smith
Wallis, Dickson, Lloyd
English, Bont, Libba
Lipinski, Williams, Jong, Dale

That's what I'd do.

If Suckling and Duryea are fit I'd bring them in too, for Jong and Dale.

Wallis forward leave him there
Dunk in the middle leave him there, along with Libba and Lipinski
Sure up the backline and give Daniel, JJ, Crozier, Williams more licence to play aggressive for the turnover and quick transition
Hope that Jong and Dale can spend time forward, kick some goals and at least slow the turnovers we make from being quick goals against

Mantis
23-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Cordy, Naughton, Crozier
JJ, Le Young, Daniel
Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter
McLean, Schache, Smith
Wallis, Dickson, Lloyd
English, Bont, Libba
Lipinski, Williams, Jong, Dale

That's what I'd do.

If Suckling and Duryea are fit I'd bring them in too, for Jong and Dale.

Wallis forward leave him there
Dunk in the middle leave him there, along with Libba and Lipinski
Sure up the backline and give Daniel, JJ, Crozier, Williams more licence to play aggressive for the turnover and quick transition
Hope that Jong and Dale can spend time forward, kick some goals and at least slow the turnovers we make from being quick goals against

The backline looks fine, but that FF line just screams yuck!

Whilst I'm not a massive fan of Trengove we probably have to play him at FF (so we can bomb it on his head!) & 2nd ruck to ease to load on Schache. Would like to get Lynch into the team as a forward as he has some toe & can kick.

The Pie Man
23-04-2019, 10:30 AM

It’s truly baffling. Can only assume it was being worked on early 2017 when he was in the team and they hadn’t considered his exit from the senior side was going to be more or less permanent.

Think it’s one game since the contract was announced.

azabob
23-04-2019, 10:32 AM
I think Dickson is pretty much done, especially where we are at as a team. He has lost his kicking penetration and his ability to cover the ground and get separation on the lead.

I’m afraid to say in my view Lloyd is ahead of him.

westbulldog
23-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Are you going to the game westbulldog? Hopefully we put up a better performance.

Won't be there Easty as a : - good seat costs more than a month's Foxtel. - the FB's are a total pain in the arse (1st word Freo :) ). At Optus they think imitating the Super Bowl is more important to people than the footy match.

Go_Dogs
23-04-2019, 11:10 AM
The backline looks fine, but that FF line just screams yuck!

Whilst I'm not a massive fan of Trengove we probably have to play him at FF (so we can bomb it on his head!) & 2nd ruck to ease to load on Schache. Would like to get Lynch into the team as a forward as he has some toe & can kick.

I'd like to see Lynch in there (and Dale, maybe Jong) so we've got more speed and kicking skill (at least from the former two).

I'd prefer we wait out for Boyd to return to play him as the second ruck/forward. Schache for me in the mean time.

Scraggers
23-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Won't be there Easty as a : - good seat costs more than a month's Foxtel. - the FB's are a total pain in the arse (1st word Freo :) ). At Optus they think imitating the Super Bowl is more important to people than the footy match.

I'll be there ... taking my son and sitting with the Bulldog faithful whilst my wife and daughter will be sitting at the other end (Freo scum ... only for this week though :p)

Scraggers
23-04-2019, 11:30 AM
This would be my team against Freo. We need more height against the Freo Forwards, so Trengrove comes in and Naughton goes back. Trengrove can also have stints in the ruck. Young gets another game, but Hayes doesn't. Easton Wood is out for a week or two (let's say he's injured)

Backs:- Cordy, Naughton, Crozier
H/Backs:- JJ, Lewis Young, Daniel
Centres:- Dunkley, Macrae, Hunter
H/Forwards:- Wallis, Schache, Smith
Forwards:- McLean, Trengrove, Lloyd
Followers:- English, Bontempelli, Libba
Bench:- Lipinski, Williams, Jong, Lynch

Bulldog4life
23-04-2019, 12:29 PM
WA Western Bulldogs
@WADoggies
Sadly we have been informed that Optus Stadium won’t allow access to the Western Bulldogs for training. Hopefully, we will see you on Friday evening
@inglewoodhotel from 7pm.

mjp
23-04-2019, 12:41 PM

Ummm...free tickets to the game with your club membership!

The Adelaide Connection
23-04-2019, 01:28 PM
WA Western Bulldogs
@WADoggies
Sadly we have been informed that Optus Stadium won’t allow access to the Western Bulldogs for training. Hopefully, we will see you on Friday evening
@inglewoodhotel from 7pm.

Surely the club should be kicking up a big fuss if they are not being allowed to access the ground for training before match day?

I thought every club had access to every ground for a run prior to the match?

Ozza
23-04-2019, 01:42 PM
In: Suckling, Trengove, Lipinski; Lewis Young
Out: Lachlan Young, Richards, Hunter to be rested/hampered by injury and missing Perth might be good for him, McLean.

Schache won't come in because he hasn't had a chance to go back and do what has been asked of him. But I would like him to be played.

bornadog
23-04-2019, 02:03 PM
In: Suckling, Trengove, Lipinski; Lewis Young
Out: Lachlan Young, Richards, Hunter to be rested/hampered by injury and missing Perth might be good for him, McLean.

Schache won't come in because he hasn't had a chance to go back and do what has been asked of him. But I would like him to be played.

Welcome back Ozza, good ins and outs.

Murphy'sLore
23-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Surely the club should be kicking up a big fuss if they are not being allowed to access the ground for training before match day?

I read that as the team is allowed access, but not spectators?

bornadog
23-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Suckling and Duryea won't be back for awhile.

Matt Suckling groin 2-4 weeks
Fergus Greene ankle 4-6 weeks
Taylor Duryea hip 6-8 weeks

bulldogtragic
23-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Fuc*. Now who plays full back, full forward and ruck?

G-Mo77
23-04-2019, 03:18 PM

OK. Here we go now. It's seemed a while since we've had bad news on the injury front so this seems like familiar territory.

hujsh
23-04-2019, 03:30 PM

He's not. He's playing in a zone defense which means occasionally being accountable for a player taller than you (Crozier and Daniel manage to do it so Wood with his athleticism shouldn't have an issue with it)

He was also playing on Key Forwards like Kurt Tippett back in the days when he was a decent forward at Adelaide so it certainly wouldn't be the first time in his career doing that.

And if you want to say that was a long time ago how about Buddy last year?

angelopetraglia
23-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Easton Wood is a shadow of his 2015 form. Even his 2016 form was a long way form what he showed in 2015. He was an intercepting force in 2015. Every time the ball went in his vicinity he was launching himself at the contest with no regard for his personal safety and taking some spectacular marks. If Easton was near the contest you felt a sense of calmness as a supporter.

Easton had threatened to play like he did in 2015 in many prior years. But just as he was hitting that type of form he was struck down by injury. He always appeared to have the talent, it was just that his body would not cooperate. He turns 30 in September. Have the injuries simply caught up with him? Is he carrying something? Was our attempt to turn him into a forward permanently scarred him?

Where has the Easton of 2015 gone? (I would just be happy to have the 2016 version back.)

Ozza
23-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Welcome back Ozza, good ins and outs.

Thanks bornadog...started a new job before xmas and had to give woof a backseat for a while!

boydogs
23-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Out: Hayes, Young, Williams
In: Trengove, Lipinski, Schache

Go_Dogs
23-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Given the concerns over the surface and number of injuries West Coast have sustained (and declaring they will no longer train there) it's probably fortunate for us.. luck has intervened.

The bulldog tragician
23-04-2019, 07:21 PM
OK. Here we go now. It's seemed a while since we've had bad news on the injury front so this seems like familiar territory.

This sounds like last year when what seemed like a minor precaution over an injury blew out to months.
I know Suckling can frustrate some, but fully fit, he is a very important cog in the defence, and this news is a blow.

GVGjr
23-04-2019, 07:29 PM
This sounds like last year when what seemed like a minor precaution over an injury blew out to months.
I know Suckling can frustrate some, but fully fit, he is a very important cog in the defence, and this news is a blow.

He won me over last year with the standard of his performances but we can cover both he and Duryea given we are somewhat overstocked for back flankers. Perhaps Richards will move back to his more natural spot

S Coast Simon
23-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Cordy Naughton Wood
jj LeYoung Crozier
Macrae Dunkley Daniel
Hunter Schache Mclean
Trengove Gowers Loyd
English Bont Libba
Dickson Williams Hayes Richards

Wallis Smith LaYoung

time to play a how we want to play. The great teams play the players they want and just go about their business. If your match up is a bit bigger or a bit faster or even a bit smaller, you have to learn to play on them and use your strengths to combat theirs. Play the kids where we drafted them to play. Give anyone 20 games in a row in a position and they are going to learn all the tricks needed to beat any opponent. Sure you will hurt some times but that’s how they learn to be the best.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-04-2019, 08:46 PM
It's Mundy's 300th....bloody hell.....
I'm gonna need some more MJP positivity spin of the highest order to convince me this is not a lost cause.

Danjul
23-04-2019, 09:16 PM
This would be my team against Freo. We need more height against the Freo Forwards, so Trengrove comes in and Naughton goes back. Trengrove can also have stints in the ruck. Young gets another game, but Hayes doesn't. Easton Wood is out for a week or two (let's say he's injured)

Backs:- Cordy, Naughton, Crozier
H/Backs:- JJ, Lewis Young, Daniel
Centres:- Dunkley, Macrae, Hunter
H/Forwards:- Wallis, Schache, Smith
Forwards:- McLean, Trengrove, Lloyd
Followers:- English, Bontempelli, Libba
Bench:- Lipinski, Williams, Jong, Lynch

why drop Hayes?

he had 21 possessions and 7 Score involvements. Not bad for first game. Only 4 players had more disposals (24,24,26,31). Plenty to drop before him.

Danjul
23-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Cordy Naughton Wood
jj LeYoung Crozier
Macrae Dunkley Daniel
Hunter Schache Mclean
Trengove Gowers Loyd
English Bont Libba
Dickson Williams Hayes Richards

Wallis Smith LaYoung

time to play a how we want to play. The great teams play the players they want and just go about their business. If your match up is a bit bigger or a bit faster or even a bit smaller, you have to learn to play on them and use your strengths to combat theirs. Play the kids where we drafted them to play. Give anyone 20 games in a row in a position and they are going to learn all the tricks needed to beat any opponent. Sure you will hurt some times but thatÂ’s how they learn to be the best.

Why drop Wallis? He is averaging twice as many disposals as Richards. And he is getting the hard possession.

Hunter had only 2 more possessions (and rarely has any penetration).

1eyedog
23-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Agreed at least Wally has a crack.

boydogs
24-04-2019, 12:57 AM
why drop Hayes?

he had 21 possessions and 7 Score involvements. Not bad for first game. Only 4 players had more disposals (24,24,26,31). Plenty to drop before him.

Too loose with the ball, he's Jong without pace

Turnovers kill you

ReLoad
24-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Id like to turn the blowtorch of bevos bazooka on Dunks.

He isn't the player the club thinks he is, he has no real tricks, hes one paced and being played totally out of position.
At best he is a mismatch half forward type, not a wingman/midfeilder.

Combine him with the similar players in hunter and wallis (who are both better options IMHO) i really dont think theres a place for him at the minute, id rather play someone with leg speed, or a bit of X Factor (lynch)

The MC needs to stop overthinking things and get back to core basics, including leaving the Shaq in the team.
Then the team can learn to stay out of his run path and get some cohesive forward craft.

mjp
24-04-2019, 09:28 AM
I'm interested why no-one is suggesting we should drop Macrae.

His performance - and sulking - last weekend was appalling and I am not sure he should be selected.

He spent some time forward? So what? You know what playing forward under the roof at Marvel in front of 30000 people is better than? Playing midfield for Footscray in the wind and rain in front of 300 people.

Messages need to be sent and that isn't going to happen by faffing about around the edges of the team.

Bullies
24-04-2019, 10:02 AM

His performance - and sulking - last weekend was appalling and I am not sure he should be selected.

He spent some time forward? So what? You know what playing forward under the roof at Marvel in front of 30000 people is better than? Playing midfield for Footscray in the wind and rain in front of 300 people.

Messages need to be sent and that isn't going to happen by faffing about around the edges of the team. Is that you Bevo?

Mantis
24-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Agreed at least Wally has a crack.

But he's slow with limited agility and a terrible field kick... and if you want to play him forward we already have Lloyd, Dickson & Dunkley filling those spots.

mjp
24-04-2019, 10:51 AM
Is that you Bevo?

LOL.

Actually interested. I have seen calls to drop Wallis and Hayes...they seemed to at least have a go. The problem last week was Macrae, Bont, Hunter and Libba. So drop one of them and send a genuine message about what will and wont be tolerated. Don't talk about what will and wont be tolerated - send a clear message.

Mofra
24-04-2019, 11:10 AM
why drop Hayes?

Bevo rarely drops a kid after his first game, let alone someone who can actually cover ground.

Mofra
24-04-2019, 11:12 AM
First time as a KPD?
Wood's played the same role his entire career - intercepting defender, although occasionally he'll play a little tighter (e.g. roles on Buddy and Stevie J in the past).

Wood is horribly out of form and if we really are set to send a message to the group Wood is one I'd seriously look at. Crozier is playing the Wood role of 2015/2016 and we are desperate for height in the backline. Fletch Roberts can at least kick the ball and although has limitations will bust a gut for every second he's on the ground which is a quality we desperately need.

Bevo preaches flexibility but what he rally means is 'flexibilty for anyone not named Easton'.

Scorlibo
24-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Too loose with the ball, he's Jong without pace

Turnovers kill you

Don’t agree with you on his pace, he covers the ground really well.

The numbers back him up, too - 3.1km of high speed running on the weekend was the second best on the ground behind Marc Murphy and he put in 25 sprint efforts which was the most on the ground.

Rocket Science
24-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Has there been a more tirelessly consistent contributor for us since our flag year than Macrae?

Sure, let’s drop his ungrateful ass. That’ll stop the rot.

Ozza
24-04-2019, 12:31 PM

Messages need to be sent and that isn't going to happen by faffing about around the edges of the team.

Nobody is suggesting dropping Macrae, because it doesn't have any merit as a suggestion.
I'm sorry Mjp - I like your posts. But not this one.
Of all players - Macrae turns up, works hard and performs - week after week, more reliably than any.

Danjul
24-04-2019, 12:45 PM
The problem is not the players,itÂ’s the team structure.

On Sunday, when Naughton stood in the goal square the Dogs had only one player over 192 cm (English) on the other 99% of the ground.

opposing teams know that they can outmark and then kick 50 m, so they set up for it and get tremendous drive which delivers quick,easy goals.

The dogs try to counter this with panicked handball runs which draw teammates out of position and result in a turnover 65% of the time.

its time for the mc to pay respect to the basic principles associated with positions on the ground.

We have failed to kick 10 goals in 30% of games in the last 18 months.

Put Roberts in the forward line. He can take an overhead mark, kick a 50m goal (IÂ’ve seen both) and came to the club as a goal kicking forward. That should take some pressure off the other forwards.

I hope playing the boys in their natural position is not too revolutionary.

mjp
24-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Nobody is suggesting dropping Macrae, because it doesn't have any merit as a suggestion.
I'm sorry Mjp - I like your posts. But not this one.
Of all players - Macrae turns up, works hard and performs - week after week, more reliably than any.

That’s fair enough. My point is that he was terrible last week and his body language was worse...and whilst we continue to mess around at selection time with the fringes of the team nothing will change.

He is my dream team captain and I don’t think there is any chance he will be left out...but a fish rots from the head and his performance last week was (along with Bont, Hunter and Libaj the reason we lost the game. So if you want changes, start with one of them.

Rocket Science
24-04-2019, 01:52 PM
What was Macrae doing that seemed so demonstrative? It seems highly out of character.

I for one can't possibly fathom that he might be just a little bit frustrated.

Speaking of fish heads, if we're advancing revolutionary thinking maybe Bevo should have a spell for a week.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2019, 01:57 PM
What was Macrae doing that seemed so demonstrative? It seems highly out of character.

I for one can't possibly fathom that he might be just a little bit frustrated.

Speaking of fish heads, if we're advancing revolutionary thinking maybe Bevo should have a spell for a week.

Enough of that already. Every single player without exception has to be somehow flexible, except Bevo.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Some of these threads are getting ridiculous.

The Adelaide Connection
24-04-2019, 02:01 PM
I came over for the final round v Richmond last year and I remember leaving with overflowing buckets of optimism that if we could put out a similar team in 2019 that we would do well.

The named team was:
Wood Naughton Smith
JJ Morris Crozier
Hunter Macrae Richards
Gowers Schache Lipinski
Roughead Bontempelli Greene
Dunkley Wallis Trengove
I-Daniel Williams McLean Lynch

From that team we have Greene and Morris unavailable (injured), Roughead off the list, and Lipinski and R. Smith not currently getting a run.

Could the changes be:
English as the obvious Roughead replacement
Lipinski to resume in his R23 position
Cordy for Morris
Lloyd/Lynch for Greene
Williams for R. Smith with B. Smith taking the vacated spot on the bench

So the final team would be:
Wood Naughton Williams
JJ Cordy Crozier
Hunter Macrae Richards
Gowers Schache Lipinski
English Bontempelli Lloyd/Lynch
Dunkley Wallis Trengove
I: Daniel B. Smith McLean Lloyd/Lynch

To me this team fills me with hope. It feels more balanced adding speed, height (Naughton to the back line, resting ruck, and overall with some midsizers coming in) and addresses the ruck concerns in both the short term (with a backup on the field and no more Dunkley watching the opposition) and long term (English burnout worries).

Naughton can always be swung forward within games (with maybe Trengove heading back or the midget crew we had last week holding up every now and then). Carlton getting to 100 for the first time in three years (with Naughton having no impact forward) needs to force our hand on this.

mjp
24-04-2019, 02:04 PM
I hope playing the boys in their natural position is not too revolutionary.

Their 'natural' positions will be like this:

Backs: Naughton
Mids: Wood, jj, Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel, Hunter, Mclean, Gowers, Lloyd, Bont, Libba, Dickson, Williams, Hayes, Richards, Wallis, Smith
Rucks: English
Forwards: Schache

AFL footy is a compromise 'cos in a 'best of the best' environment everyone has to find a way to make a position their own - even if they grew up playing as a mid, they might just have to become a half-back to make it.

Saying the problem isn't the players it is the structure is just BS. We got smashed in the contest after being the leading clearance team going into the Carlton game...if that was OK for 4-weeks - including a game vs the Collingwood hype-machine midfield - then why was it not OK vs the Blues? 'Cos our effort SUCKED and our attitude SUCKED and we are all giving them a cop out by saying "Excuse me, but little Johnny plays best when he is on the left half forward flank and gets 2 runs in the centre each quarter and if one of the other players in there does all the defensive work to allow him to run forward and use his skills...'

It isn't u12's. Play where you are put and FIGHT THROUGH IT. Get a strong starting point vs your opponent, be first to the ball and make an impact on the game. Whether you are playing on ball or back pocket doesn't actually matter at all. And if you think it does then I don't think you understand what it takes to be a successful player.

Could the coaches have done a better job? Well, I don't know what they were trying to do 'cos I wasn't in the meetings. But I am pretty sure they had a plan - and we will never know if it would have worked or not because the players effort SUCKED!

Rocket Science
24-04-2019, 02:13 PM

I agree. Almost as ridiculous as getting flogged by Carlton.

More seriously, Bevo's suggested the reasoning behind the strange midfield rotations was that our "mids were cooked" in the second half the week prior.

I've no truck with trying to find support for our prime movers in there, but why execute it with a poor result slipping away? Why are our mids "cooked" in round four? Is our game plan cooking them rapidly? Is it an interchange or club conditioning issue? Did he just not respect Carlton enough to think it wouldn't cost us?

Losing to a handy Freo team away might seem more forgivable than losing to Carlton, but if and when we do the questions for the coaching staff are only going to amplify. Doubly so if we drop the following game against Richmond.

It's going to be a fascinating couple of weeks.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Mids: Wood, jj, Macrae, Dunkley, Daniel, Hunter, Mclean, Gowers, Lloyd, Bont, Libba, Dickson, Williams, Hayes, Richards, Wallis, Smith

AFL footy is a compromise 'cos in a 'best of the best' environment everyone has to find a way to make a position their own - even if they grew up playing as a mid, they might just have to become a half-back to make it.

Saying the problem isn't the players it is the structure is just BS. We got smashed in the contest after being the leading clearance team going into the Carlton game...if that was OK for 4-weeks - including a game vs the Collingwood hype-machine midfield - then why was it not OK vs the Blues? 'Cos our effort SUCKED and our attitude SUCKED and we are all giving them a cop out by saying "Excuse me, but little Johnny plays best when he is on the left half forward flank and gets 2 runs in the centre each quarter and if one of the other players in there does all the defensive work to allow him to run forward and use his skills...'

It isn't u12's. Play where you are put and FIGHT THROUGH IT. Get a strong starting point vs your opponent, be first to the ball and make an impact on the game. Whether you are playing on ball or back pocket doesn't actually matter at all. And if you think it does then I don't think you understand what it takes to be a successful player.

Could the coaches have done a better job? Well, I don't know what they were trying to do 'cos I wasn't in the meetings. But I am pretty sure they had a plan - and we will never know if it would have worked or not because the players effort SUCKED!

Excellent post (as usual MJP)

I saw it the same as you, and said, the players need to take responsibility.

Carlton just worked harder than us and wanted a win.

We may carry on that we were short in the backline (which I think we were), but Carlton have been last in the AFL for taking marks inside 50, and we allowed their mids to feed them.

Mofra
24-04-2019, 02:30 PM
We may carry on that we were short in the backline (which I think we were), but Carlton have been last in the AFL for taking marks inside 50, and we allowed their mids to feed them.
We were short in the backline for our wins too - it's no excuse. Carlton aren't a crap F50 team though - Harry McKay is in the top handful of players in the competition for contested marks.

Our mids were beaten and we couldn't handle it as it happens so rarely.

S Coast Simon
24-04-2019, 02:31 PM
To me I worry a bit when they don’t pull moves that even I can see. What I don’t understand is why Naughton wasn’t thrown down back for a stint. There were two reasons for it to happen. 1 we were getting killed by a big fella in the air. 2 Naughton was not getting a touch so needed to get near the ball. This is basic shit. How they thought it a good idea to have English ruck solo is absolutely ridiculous. Trengove needs to ruck the first ten minutes then English gets a go when the other guy is tiring in the middle of the quarter. All basic stuff. The Coaches are getting to tricky for their own good

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 02:43 PM

Is this Rocket ? (Just kidding just kidding). Get your point I think it would be a bit of both personally. Was Bevo just giving them an easy out in the presser saying they were cooked previous game?

bornadog
24-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Is this Rocket ? (Just kidding just kidding). Get your point I think it would be a bit of both personally. Was Bevo just giving them an easy out in the presser saying they were cooked previous game?

I think it was an easy out, had to say something. (miserable excuse though :D )

Danjul
24-04-2019, 03:27 PM

sorry, cannot agree.

how many times have we seen Daniel outmarked by someone 30+ cm taller? Too many. It is not a freak occurrence, it’s happening frequently. The first time was funny because nobody had ever seen anything like this before. It is now a sign of poor team management.

I have seen the same happen to Wood and Cordy. Neither are key position players but they get told to beat giants and lose all attacking momentum.

we went into Sunday’s game with 1 key position player (Naughton) and 1 novice ruckman. When English had a spell we didn’t even compete. Never seen that before in 50 years. I’m all for innovation but that is unforgivable.

Sunday’s team didn’t have a hope of winning. All Liam Jones had to do was punch the ball and we lost all scoring capacity. Yet Cordy couldn’t reach the ball at the other end.

In the professional era guts are not enough to make up for mismanagement.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 04:06 PM
It is very simple. We are trying to win by fielding a team of mid fielders plus English, Naughton and Cordy. Yes of course we need effort without that we are shot. But we need a balanced team height wise. That's what wins finals. Otherwise results like last week will be the norm.

Mantis
24-04-2019, 04:10 PM
That’s fair enough. My point is that he was terrible last week and his body language was worse...and whilst we continue to mess around at selection time with the fringes of the team nothing will change.

He is my dream team captain and I don’t think there is any chance he will be left out...but a fish rots from the head and his performance last week was (along with Bont, Hunter and Libaj the reason we lost the game. So if you want changes, start with one of them.

How was Libba at fault? His midfield time was obviously being managed (coming off a 9 day break what's more) so not sure what more he could've done.

Understand the mids got owned (for probably the first time this year), but were our defenders & forwards not at fault too?

mjp
24-04-2019, 04:43 PM
how many times have we seen Daniel outmarked by someone 30+ cm taller? Too many. It is not a freak occurrence, it’s happening frequently. The first time was funny because nobody had ever seen anything like this before. It is now a sign of poor team management.

1. I don't think it's funny when Daniel is 1-v-1 for a high ball inside D50. I don't think it is funny at all (and I never did).
2. He isn't positioned as such - he 100% is not. Any simple observation would tell you that the reason he finds himself 1-v-1 against a tall is because he is the one who gets on his bike and works back to compete...nothing is stopping Cordy, Wood, Crozier or any number of others doing it...they just don't.
3. I don't think the coaches are telling Caleb to be the one to 'play deep'. But at the same time, if he is the nearest one, then he just has to go - if that is what happens, that is what happens...we play a zoning defense (again, another complete off subject issue) and whilst we are doing that we risk any player in the back 6 being caught out this way.

I have seen the same happen to Wood and Cordy. Neither are key position players but they get told to beat giants and lose all attacking momentum.

If Cordy isn't a KPP what the hell is he?
Wood needs to be able to compete against 195cm size players overhead. And between the TWO of them, they 100% should be able to bring the ball to ground. That's why it is a team game - not a procession of 1v1 contests...helping one another out is not only allowed, some would say it should be actively encouraged.

When a team is going poorly, they don't help one another in the back 6 - they all play on their men. Mids try and get easy kicks/gather stats. And forwards play behind looking for easy touches/goals...all of those things happen so the players can point at the stats sheet and say "Well, it wasn't my fault. I still had 30/my man didn't hurt us/I still kicked 2". Sound familiar. It is BS is what it is and that is what we dished up.

Sunday’s team didn’t have a hope of winning. All Liam Jones had to do was punch the ball and we lost all scoring capacity. Yet Cordy couldn’t reach the ball at the other end.

If Liam Jones punches the ball, our players are actually allowed to pick it up off the deck and have a shot on goal...this is how you win the i50's (again) but lose on the scoreboard. All a tall forward really needs to do is bring the ball to the deck...

As for 'Cordy couldn't reach it'...here's a radical suggestion you might have heard in the u7's. Play in front.

Are there issues with selection and structure? Sure, fine. But none of that excuses the effort on the weekend and getting smashed in the clearances by Carlton.

I don't understand what everyone wants. We are unhappy that Boyd wasn't left up forward despite his struggles and played some time in the ruck. But now when the coach says Naughton is going to play as a forward, we all want him moved back? You can't have it both ways. You either want the coaches to develop players in set positions in which case Naughton should stay forward and we should persist with English in the ruck or you want versatility in which case we should swing Naughton back at the first sign of 'trouble' and send English back to the magoos.

I can just imagine the outcry if we were bouncing Boyd between forward and back....but you want Naughton to do that?

None of this means I necessarily agree with the 'call' to make Naughton a forward...but that is the call. So now we have made it, we need him to play forward and tell him to compete hard even when it is not his day. And maybe he will actually learn by DOING that even when it is not his day, if he persists and attacks the footy relentlessly it might actually be his moment? And one moment can turn a match (we even have a thread about that).

As for Schache, well, I think he should have played against Carlton and the help he provided English with + different 'match-up' in the forward 50 was important in the first few games...but you couldn't pick him after the Collingwood game when he simply didn't bring effort. You can't have that in the side - it cannot be accepted/rewarded and EXCLUSION is the only thing that means anything to players. (If you don't believe me on this, you don't know footballers). So whilst we 'needed' him from a team perspective, he HAD to be dropped. You can't tolerate that sort of stuff.

mjp
24-04-2019, 04:49 PM
How was Libba at fault? His midfield time was obviously being managed (coming off a 9 day break what's more) so not sure what more he could've done.

Understand the mids got owned (for probably the first time this year), but were our defenders & forwards not at fault too?

At the start of the 3rd, Libba and Cripps were engaged in a push and shove at the bounce. Cool. FF 20 seconds, Cripps has won the stoppage, given it to Sammy Seaton, wrapped around and gotten it back.

If that push and shove is all Libba had for us on the weekend, then it wasn't anywhere near enough. The Libba who shutdown Kennedy in the 2016 GF did more than push and shove before the bounce...so did the one we saw in the first month of the season.

Is it his fault? No - but that effort was representative of the team effort.

G-Mo77
24-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Bevo on his brief acknowledged Freo have a tall forward line and will have to combat that. Pity he didn't see who Carlton had up forward before picking a team of back flankers to stop them. We'll probably bring in Roarke Smith to help down back.

Danjul
24-04-2019, 06:15 PM
1. I don't think it's funny when Daniel is 1-v-1 for a high ball inside D50. I don't think it is funny at all (and I never did).
2. He isn't positioned as such - he 100% is not. Any simple observation would tell you that the reason he finds himself 1-v-1 against a tall is because he is the one who gets on his bike and works back to compete...nothing is stopping Cordy, Wood, Crozier or any number of others doing it...they just don't.
3. I don't think the coaches are telling Caleb to be the one to 'play deep'. But at the same time, if he is the nearest one, then he just has to go - if that is what happens, that is what happens...we play a zoning defense (again, another complete off subject issue) and whilst we are doing that we risk any player in the back 6 being caught out this way.

If Cordy isn't a KPP what the hell is he?
Wood needs to be able to compete against 195cm size players overhead. And between the TWO of them, they 100% should be able to bring the ball to ground. That's why it is a team game - not a procession of 1v1 contests...helping one another out is not only allowed, some would say it should be actively encouraged.

When a team is going poorly, they don't help one another in the back 6 - they all play on their men. Mids try and get easy kicks/gather stats. And forwards play behind looking for easy touches/goals...all of those things happen so the players can point at the stats sheet and say "Well, it wasn't my fault. I still had 30/my man didn't hurt us/I still kicked 2". Sound familiar. It is BS is what it is and that is what we dished up.

If Liam Jones punches the ball, our players are actually allowed to pick it up off the deck and have a shot on goal...this is how you win the i50's (again) but lose on the scoreboard. All a tall forward really needs to do is bring the ball to the deck...

As for 'Cordy couldn't reach it'...here's a radical suggestion you might have heard in the u7's. Play in front.

Are there issues with selection and structure? Sure, fine. But none of that excuses the effort on the weekend and getting smashed in the clearances by Carlton.

I don't understand what everyone wants. We are unhappy that Boyd wasn't left up forward despite his struggles and played some time in the ruck. But now when the coach says Naughton is going to play as a forward, we all want him moved back? You can't have it both ways. You either want the coaches to develop players in set positions in which case Naughton should stay forward and we should persist with English in the ruck or you want versatility in which case we should swing Naughton back at the first sign of 'trouble' and send English back to the magoos.

I can just imagine the outcry if we were bouncing Boyd between forward and back....but you want Naughton to do that?

None of this means I necessarily agree with the 'call' to make Naughton a forward...but that is the call. So now we have made it, we need him to play forward and tell him to compete hard even when it is not his day. And maybe he will actually learn by DOING that even when it is not his day, if he persists and attacks the footy relentlessly it might actually be his moment? And one moment can turn a match (we even have a thread about that).

As for Schache, well, I think he should have played against Carlton and the help he provided English with + different 'match-up' in the forward 50 was important in the first few games...but you couldn't pick him after the Collingwood game when he simply didn't bring effort. You can't have that in the side - it cannot be accepted/rewarded and EXCLUSION is the only thing that means anything to players. (If you don't believe me on this, you don't know footballers). So whilst we 'needed' him from a team perspective, he HAD to be dropped. You can't tolerate that sort of stuff.

Sorry, l think the club has a lot more talent than the results suggest. But

1. Because they handball forward instead of 40m kicks the backline gets caught forward of the ball when a turnover occurs (frequently). That’s why Caleb is the only one near the ball.

2. Cordy,at 192cm, is never going to be a key position player. He gets outmarked and most of his possessions are loose balls. He did play in front and got outreached numerous times in our last three losses. That is why his direct opponent usually wins.

3. Wood is less than 190 cm and is a natural running half back. When he gets the ball it should mean a 50m gain. He was jumping to spoil 200+ cm players (Carlton had three inside their 50m arc). Successful a few times but robs him of positive contributions.

4. Boyd should never have been put in the ruck. He started as a good forward and the rest is history. Numerous games with barely a touch. Now the same is being done to Schache. Wouldn’t see Franklin, Kennedy, Hawkins.... wasted in the ruck. They are goal kicking specialists- something the Dogs don’t believe in. That’s why we have close to the lowest scores in the competition. 23 goals in the last three games.

The club has a psychological aversion to height and specialists. They have spent the last 2 years proving that they have it wrong. Started half way through 2017 and they have struggled since. That’s why it is becoming difficult for some supporters to take more of this ‘only midfielders’ nonsense.

bornadog
24-04-2019, 06:22 PM

1. Because they handball forward instead of 40m kicks the backline gets caught forward of the ball when a turnover occurs (frequently). That’s why Caleb is the only one near the ball.

2. Cordy,at 192cm, is never going to be a key position player. He gets outmarked and most of his possessions are loose balls. He did play in front and got outreached numerous times in our last three losses. That is why his direct opponent usually wins.

3. Wood is less than 190 cm and is a natural running half back. When he gets the ball it should mean a 50m gain. He was jumping to spoil 200+ cm players (Carlton had three inside their 50m arc). Successful a few times but robs him of positive contributions.

4. Boyd should never have been put in the ruck. He started as a good forward and the rest is history. Numerous games with barely a touch. Now the same is being done to Schache. Wouldn’t see Franklin, Kennedy, Hawkins.... wasted in the ruck. They are goal kicking specialists- something the Dogs don’t believe in. That’s why we have close to the lowest scores in the competition. 23 goals in the last three games.

The club has a psychological aversion to height and specialists. They have spent the last 2 years proving that they have it wrong. Started half way through 2017 and they have struggled since. That’s why it is becoming difficult for some supporters to take more of this ‘only midfielders’ nonsense.

Whilst most of what you have said is true, we can't play talls for the sake of being tall.

mjp
24-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Wood is a running half back who never gets the ball and is not a good kick...he is a lot of things and greater than the sum of his parts, but he is not a running half back. He is an intercept defender. That's what he is. JJ is a running half back. So is Suckling. So (was) Williams. So is Caleb Daniel. So is Crozier. Wood is not.

At 192cm Cordy is a KPP. That's what he is. He is that or he is nothing.

You don't want Boyd in the ruck and you don't want Schache in the ruck but you do want Naughton shuffled back?

Boyd's best footy at senior level - much like Paul Salmon's - has been as a ruckman. There is nothing wrong with that and if he was available to play ruck right now we wouldn't be battling in that part of the ground. I keep hearing that he started as a 'good forward' - never seen it at AFL level.

Danjul
24-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Whilst most of what you have said is true, we can't play talls for the sake of being tall.

I will use round one of 2018 as an example. (A bad loss).

Roberts is a tall. He was on the backline. He had 14 possessions which were 12 kicks and 2 handball. He was dropped and stayed dropped.

for comparison, dale Morris played 11 games that year and had more than 13 possessions once. No criticism intended, just showing what back men do .

Also in game one : Wood 7 possessions (5 kicks), Trengove 4 (0 kicks), Naughton 11 (9 kicks) Cordy 14 (8 were kicks) Gowers (10 and 5), Dunkley (16 and 9). all selected for the next game. crosier 8 (6kicks) dropped but back after a few weeks.

There seems to be more to getting selected than what they do in the game.

And in the last three games (all losses) we were too short in critical plays.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 07:50 PM
This could be my last post, but keeping an injury prone 36 year old in Morris doesn't seem like great list management to me. Could we have used his spot to bring in someone taller ? Is this part of the Bevo's mates club? I love Dale, goes without saying with what he's done, I'm just wondering if this is indicative of not being able to make tough calls when required or a lack of different opinions within the group. Of course I have no idea this didn't happen it's just an interesting observation. Morris or Sam Collins? I hope we are having these debates internally.
*Runs behind couch and hides*

Danjul
24-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Wood is a running half back who never gets the ball and is not a good kick...he is a lot of things and greater than the sum of his parts, but he is not a running half back. He is an intercept defender. That's what he is. JJ is a running half back. So is Suckling. So (was) Williams. So is Caleb Daniel. So is Crozier. Wood is not.

At 192cm Cordy is a KPP. That's what he is. He is that or he is nothing.

You don't want Boyd in the ruck and you don't want Schache in the ruck but you do want Naughton shuffled back?

Boyd's best footy at senior level - much like Paul Salmon's - has been as a ruckman. There is nothing wrong with that and if he was available to play ruck right now we wouldn't be battling in that part of the ground. I keep hearing that he started as a 'good forward' - never seen it at AFL level.

In 2015 for example, wood was a running half back and averaged 20 possessions per game. Now in his new role he is averaging 10 this year.

Cordy is too short for a KP defender. in the last part of 2016 (including finals) Cordy kicked as many goals as Stringer and more than the Bont. His 2 goals in the Elimination final got us into the Grand Final.

cannot agree that Boyd is a ruckman. In 2016 he played in the ruck 15 times and averaged 8 hitouts per game. Campbell averaged 21 and Roughy 14. As a forward he got 16 goals in the first half of 2015. In 2017 he averaged 4 kicks per game , a wasted talent for a potential 60 goals a year player- that’s why he was recruited.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 08:08 PM
This could be my last post, but keeping an injury prone 36 year old in Morris doesn't seem like great list management to me. Could we have used his spot to bring in someone taller ? Is this part of the Bevo's mates club? I love Dale, goes without saying with what he's done, I'm just wondering if this is indicative of not being able to make tough calls when required or a lack of different opinions within the group. Of course I have no idea this didn't happen it's just an interesting observation. Morris or Sam Collins? I hope we are having these debates internally.
*Runs behind couch and hides*

Or even Kieran:)

soupman
24-04-2019, 08:25 PM
In 2015 for example, wood was a running half back and averaged 20 possessions per game. Now in his new role he is averaging 10 this year.

No. Wood was an intercept defender. He won his possessions coming in for the aerial ball, or being part of the chain to switch. He was a competent attacking threat, but has never been a true line breaker like JJ or Daniel and has never been as good with ball in hand as Crozier or Suckling. Boyd was more of a playmaker in defence than Wood was, and i would consider his role to have been a distributor.

Since then Wood has gotten slower and less agile making his ability to run the ball out of defence worse, and since he is now even less able to create space and time his average ball use turns into constant 40m hopeful kicks to our undersized forwards. Besides, even if he was capable of being a half back he is behind all those guys MJP named for that role.

Wood's attributes now are that he is fairly strong, a good spoil, and a decent one on one defender (although he had a shocker in this regard on Sunday). Key defence is his best role now, besides there aren't a bunch of talls in the game that necessarily use their height to full advantage. All he has to do is limit a key forwards influence on the game enough so that they aren't a consistent threat and that will result in him playing his role. Not playing it overly well mind you, I would use Naughton as an example of someone who not only stops their opponent but can benefit from the supply to them, but Wood is not capable of that anymore. Effectively he is now our slightly smaller Dale Morris.

Cordy is too short for a KP defender. in the last part of 2016 (including finals) Cordy kicked as many goals as Stringer and more than the Bont. His 2 goals in the Elimination final got us into the Grand Final.

Cordy is tall enough and has long limbs to help, but gets worked out from underneath the ball too easily. He is aggressive which makes up for a lot of shortcomings, but is not a clever or talented enough player to be a permanent good forward, although I think he could serve a role there still and his bad games there wouldn't be as bad as someone like Schaches. If we play Naughton forward then Cordy is by far our best available key defender. He has struggled the last two weeks because he was been on super tall key forwards that have had the ball put to their advantage. There is no one on our list that is both aggressive and big enough to have been able to do much more than Cordy could in Cox's last quarter and some of McKays marks on the weekend.

Cannot agree that Boyd is a ruckman. In 2016 he played in the ruck 15 times and averaged 8 hitouts per game. Campbell averaged 21 and Roughy 14. As a forward he got 16 goals in the first half of 2015. In 2017 he averaged 4 kicks per game , a wasted talent for a potential 60 goals a year player- that’s why he was recruited.

So after 4 seasons with us Boyd's big sign he is a key forward is a modest return in half a season where we were a high scoring side? Boyd has played one good game as a key forward for us, and aside from that he has barely had a quarter where we've seen anything indicating he has the ability to become a true key forward. He is easily outbodied, reads the flight of the ball poorly, has shocking marking technique (genuinely terrible) and is the most useless of all our players once the ball hits the deck. I want him to be a good key forward but even half his good moments seem more like flukes than by design.

Yes he was recruited as a key forward and I'm happy for us to play him there, but to date by far his most consistently good football has been as a ruckman. Even when he plays as a key forward in the VFL he isn't dominant, bloody Paddy McCartin is a better VFL player than him. He is not a great ruck but he is an ok one and could still grow further in that role, but he has shown a much bigger ability to get involved in and impact games as a ruckman than he has as a key forward.

Mantis
24-04-2019, 09:18 PM

Thanks for your input.

Danjul
24-04-2019, 09:31 PM
2015 round 3, start of Boyd’s time with us:

He wasn’t used in the ruck, purely as a young forward.

marks: 6 most in team
goals: 3. Out of 8
disposals: 14

A good day’s work against Hawks. We would be thrilled if someone did that now.

yes, I know- Naughton did the same in round one and everyone still hasn’t come back to earth.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Or even Kieran:)

I meant the ex docker now Sun who played at Box Hill in between. Great intercept mark would slot in nicely. Hindsight I guess...

bornadog
24-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Thanks for your input.

My pleasure.

I am all for healthy debate which has happened since my post, but prior to that, unreadable at times.

mjp
24-04-2019, 10:31 PM
I meant the ex docker now Sun who played at Box Hill in between. Great intercept mark would slot in nicely. Hindsight I guess...

Collins is great. But even he would tell you he is as slow as treacle and not a fit for quite a few defensive schemes...I think he was relatively ok with the Freo experience and appreciative that they gave him a go. He has looked pretty ok on the GC but it is the earliest of early days and we don’t know how that will turn out. Freo preferred Hamling and Pearce to Collins and so do I.

The post above about Morris is (of course) accuarate in every way. But the thing is you can’t assess dale Morris using data and statistics...he is more than that. Easton Wood was as well once upon a time - a mid sized player who made a McGovern (Andrew variety) sized impact on the competition. That player is in their somewhere and it is up to the coaches (and the captain himself) to find him.

Greystache
24-04-2019, 10:33 PM
My pleasure.

I am all for healthy debate which has happened since my post, but prior to that, unreadable at times.

Spamming the forum with "I don't want to read this" type posts is the very definition of unreadable. Maybe something to think about.

mjp
24-04-2019, 10:34 PM
2015 round 3, start of Boyd’s time with us:

He wasn’t used in the ruck, purely as a young forward.

marks: 6 most in team
goals: 3. Out of 8
disposals: 14

A good day’s work against Hawks. We would be thrilled if someone did that now.

yes, I know- Naughton did the same in round one and everyone still hasn’t come back to earth.

Agree with all of this. But we haven’t seen that player for YEARS. And the Naughton comment is exactly why I am frustrated with the calls for him to return to defence. We slay Bevo for moving guys around - then when he sticks to his guns and leaves Naughton forward even when it isn’t ‘working’ we want to slay him for that as well...we can’t have both.

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Collins is great. But even he would tell you he is as slow as treacle and not a fit for quite a few defensive schemes...I think he was relatively ok with the Freo experience and appreciative that they gave him a go. He has looked pretty ok on the GC but it is the earliest of early days and we don’t know how that will turn out. Freo preferred Hamling and Pearce to Collins and so do I.

The post above about Morris is (of course) accuarate in every way. But the thing is you can’t assess dale Morris using data and statistics...he is more than that. Easton Wood was as well once upon a time - a mid sized player who made a McGovern (Andrew variety) sized impact on the competition. That player is in their somewhere and it is up to the coaches (and the captain himself) to find him.

Thanks that's spot on I think. How's the 6-6-6 going the scores are getting lower !
Noticed last week Silvagni started as defensively as possible on the wing a couple of times and as soon as ball was bounced he ran into defense to make the 7th defender.

Bulldog4life
24-04-2019, 11:08 PM

I know:)

Grantysghost
24-04-2019, 11:43 PM
I know:)

:eek:

GVGjr
25-04-2019, 12:09 AM
Agree with all of this. But we haven’t seen that player for YEARS. And the Naughton comment is exactly why I am frustrated with the calls for him to return to defence. We slay Bevo for moving guys around - then when he sticks to his guns and leaves Naughton forward even when it isn’t ‘working’ we want to slay him for that as well...we can’t have both.

We have to give Naughton at least half the season to see how he goes. He's already proved that he's adaptable and we can't lose faith after one poor game. Kudos to Bevo and the MC for making the move they thought would increase our scoring power.
Returning Richards to the backline though to regain his confidence might be worth considering.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-04-2019, 11:39 AM
We have to give Naughton at least half the season to see how he goes. He's already proved that he's adaptable and we can't lose faith after one poor game. Kudos to Bevo and the MC for making the move they thought would increase our scoring power.
Returning Richards to the backline though to regain his confidence might be worth considering.
Agree on Richards returning to the back line where he plays his best football. As much as I would like to see Naughton retained in attack given the fragile nature of our defence believe we would be better served to play him as a key defender. Trengrove also would help strengthen our back line given how poor we looked against the much taller Carlton forward line. Schache also looks our best option as a leading key forward. Together with Dickson they have better kicking techniques than our other forwards. I would also like to see Lipinski Williams and Daniel added to the midfield to support Bont and Libba. The poor disposal of Dunkley Wallis and Hunter makes us look less than ideal going forward.

GVGjr
25-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Agree on Richards returning to the back line where he plays his best football. As much as I would like to see Naughton retained in attack given the fragile nature of our defence believe we would be better served to play him as a key defender. Trengrove also would help strengthen our back line given how poor we looked against the much taller Carlton forward line. Schache also looks our best option as a leading key forward. Together with Dickson they have better kicking techniques than our other forwards. I would also like to see Lipinski Williams and Daniel added to the midfield to support Bont and Libba. The poor disposal of Dunkley Wallis and Hunter makes us look less than ideal going forward.

It's strange to me that Trengove hasn't been a stronger chance at selection given his versatility. Daniel back to the midfield could be worth trying as well and Lipinski should be rewarded for his strong form line at Footscray. Until Boyd has the form and fitness to challenge for a spot I agree we are probably in a position where we should be sticking with Schache as one of our key forwards

DOG GOD
25-04-2019, 05:39 PM
As far as I’m concerned both Schache AND Trengrove have to play each week at least until Boyd is ready to hit the mix for selection.
Schache at FF where he will take a decent defender.
Trengove in defensive 50 where we drafted him from, playing his best football.
Williams, Richards and Wood to the HB line.
Daniel more mid/ hff where he can set up play, and lower the eyes going into 50.
Dickson high fwd
Wallis fwd pocket
McLean and Dunk more midfield, with Dunks taking the shut down role EVERY week.

MC just need to get back to basics. Structure the team to their abilities and stop F’ing around. It’s beyond a joke.

Bulldog4life
25-04-2019, 05:48 PM
As far as I’m concerned both Schache AND Trengrove have to play each week at least until Boyd is ready to hit the mix for selection.
Schache at FF where he will take a decent defender.
Trengove in defensive 50 where we drafted him from, playing his best football.
Williams, Richards and Wood to the HB line.
Daniel more mid/ hff where he can set up play, and lower the eyes going into 50.
Dickson high fwd
Wallis fwd pocket
McLean and Dunk more midfield, with Dunks taking the shut down role EVERY week.

MC just need to get back to basics. Structure the team to their abilities and stop F’ing around. It’s beyond a joke.

Some good points DG especially Daniel forward.

angelopetraglia
25-04-2019, 07:23 PM
In: Trengove
Out: Williams

Eastdog
Trengove is back. One week late but still very happy to see him in.

chef
1 change. You are ****ing joking.

There goes any hint of a chance we had.

angelopetraglia
25-04-2019, 07:24 PM
Naughton named full back ...

Eastdog
25-04-2019, 07:27 PM

Lipinski, Greene even Webb would have been good. Need to give these guys a go change up something.

Eastdog
25-04-2019, 07:28 PM
Naughton named full back ...

Need an interceptor get those big marks to repel their forward attacks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Lipinski, Greene even Webb would have been good. Need to give these guys a go change up something.

Greene is injured Eastie

azabob
25-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Seriously disappointed only one change.

Why are we tanking?

angelopetraglia
25-04-2019, 07:32 PM
To see Roberts named as an emergency is interesting too. How many spares do they normally fly over for the trip to Perth? Two?

DOG GOD
25-04-2019, 07:32 PM

Well there you go, obviously the MC believe that 21/22 players that lost to Carlton can get it done this week against Freo. Yep, they have officially lost the plot.

DOG GOD
25-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Seriously disappointed only one change.

Why are we tanking?

Get Kevin Sheahan on the phone, he might know

G-Mo77
25-04-2019, 07:35 PM
1 week too late but glad Trengove is named.

However. 1 change after such an embarrassing performance, surely they're taking the piss?

DOG GOD
25-04-2019, 07:38 PM
1 week too late but glad Trengove is named.

However. 1 change after such an embarrassing performance, surely they're taking the piss?

Obviously Bevo showing faith in the players that put up a crap fest last week. You could tell the way he spoke about Hayes and Young in the members video, they’ll get a good run at it coz their “VFL form warranted selection”. Playing favourites again Bevo? Seriously.

I might have to change my prediction of Freo 46 points to Freo 86 points. Unbelievable.

Eastdog
25-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Greene is injured Eastie

My mistake. When he is available should definitely give him a game. Showed a bit when he played last year.

Eastdog
25-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Not playing a VFL game last weekend partly to do with the selections tonight.

hujsh
25-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Clearly no one in the team who should make way for Lipinski since they all performed so admirably

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 07:50 PM
If I'm Lipinski or Lew Young, I tell my manager to listen to any unofficial offers now.

whythelongface
25-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Obviously Bevo showing faith in the players that put up a crap fest last week. You could tell the way he spoke about Hayes and Young in the members video, they’ll get a good run at it coz their “VFL form warranted selection”. Playing favourites again Bevo? Seriously.

I might have to change my prediction of Freo 46 points to Freo 86 points. Unbelievable.

Apart from Lipinski who else would you bring in? The bye for our VFL team did not warrant further changes.

whythelongface
25-04-2019, 07:52 PM
If I'm Lipinski or Lew Young, I tell my manager to listen to any unofficial offers now.

Hardly. They are young and will get their chances.

G-Mo77
25-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Williams is gone if that's an omission. He was the only problem last week.......apparently.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Hardly. They are young and will get their chances.

I have little doubt both would be on the radars of other clubs. Not playing them despite good VFL form, or playing a small instead of Young, gives an opening to other clubs to make a variety of promises. This is how Hamling left. Frustrated he couldn't get a game, Freo got to him and Kersten, and despite winning a flag, Hamling leaves.

Rocket Science
25-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Why bring Williams in for a game then give him the hook? It's not like we're flush with creative line-breakers.

There's something weird about the way he's been handled this year.

angelopetraglia
25-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Agee. Bailey Williams was one of the rare good stories of 2017. How he is being managed this year doesn’t make sense. Is there anything else going on?

whythelongface
25-04-2019, 08:03 PM
I have little doubt both would be on the radars of other clubs. Not playing them despite good VFL form, or playing a small instead of Young, gives an opening to other clubs to make a variety of promises. This is how Hamling left. Frustrated he couldn't get a game, Freo got to him and Kersten, and despite winning a flag, Hamling leaves.

We are covering old ground with Hamling. It was mainly family reasons for him leaving.

Haven’t we signed up some our younger players already on longer deals such as Naughton and English. Think you are being a bit dramatic with the Lipinski and Young comment.

G-Mo77
25-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Agee. Bailey Williams was one of the rare good stories of 2017. How he is being managed this year doesn’t make sense. Is there anything else going on?

This season's scapegoat perhaps? Perfect chance to slot him into Sucklings position last week, which he has done reasonably well in the past and we put him on the ball. Now he's dropped quicker than a hot potato.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 08:16 PM
We are covering old ground with Hamling. It was mainly family reasons for him leaving.

Haven’t we signed up some our younger players already on longer deals such as Naughton and English. Think you are being a bit dramatic with the Lipinski and Young comment.

I don't think so. I'm saying they might want to hear unofficial offers from their manager now. If I thought my head coach didn't believe in me, or the position I play, I'd be receptive to the opposite message. Human nature really.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 08:18 PM
This season's scapegoat perhaps? Perfect chance to slot him into Sucklings position last week, which he has done reasonably well in the past and we put him on the ball. Now he's dropped quicker than a hot potato.

Wait for the SA media and clubs to start rumours that this management of Williams is because he's receptive to heading back home to either SA club.

chef
25-04-2019, 08:27 PM
Out of contract so we'll get **** all for him too.

comrade
25-04-2019, 08:31 PM
Williams getting dropped, yet Hayes/Young retaining their spots is madness.

Persisting with all of Lloyd, Dickson, Dunkley & Wallis as our mid sized high forwards is madness.

Trengove playing to help English is good.

bulldogtragic
25-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Out of contract so we'll get **** all for him too.

True story today. I was thinking of Williams today with the Apple Music thingy making noise. It was exactly, Fleetwood Mac, Dreams. Precise lyric, 'players only love you when they're playing'. And I thought, at least backing Williams into play for a decent run (which I thought we were doing) will help the team and help Sam Power secure a long term contract from him. Now I understand FMac were talking about something different altogether, but the words are true. Only dropping Williams after that abortion of a game last week, ain't gunna help him love Power from the VFL.

S Coast Simon
25-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Team looks good. Trengove in for some bash and crash in the middle and Naughton to shore up the defense, Wood to a flank is a better move. Would like to see Schache CHF and Gowers coming out of the square full steam and the resting ruckman slipping in behind him for the long bomb. Bring back a bit of old school positioning. McLean on ball is another nice move. If all these happen we should put up a good show. We will go well on Optus Stadium. It’s the same size as the MCG isn’t it. If so lots of space for our small boys as well

The Adelaide Connection
25-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Team looks good. Trengove in for some bash and crash in the middle and Naughton to shore up the defense, Wood to a flank is a better move. Would like to see Schache CHF and Gowers coming out of the square full steam and the resting ruckman slipping in behind him for the long bomb. Bring back a bit of old school positioning. McLean on ball is another nice move. If all these happen we should put up a good show. We will go well on Optus Stadium. It’s the same size as the MCG isn’t it. If so lots of space for our small boys as well

Not quite, it’s closer to Marvel-
Optus is 165x130
MCG is 161x138
Marvel is 160x129

Hot_Doggies
25-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Rumours of Bailey returning to Adelaide started a long time ago.

Word is he has become closer to Libba since Dahl and co have left....

bornadog
26-04-2019, 01:24 AM
Williams is gone if that's an omission. He was the only problem last week.......apparently.

Williams was really pathetic last week with 4 disposals to half time and 9 for the match. Should never have come in in the first place and Trengove should have been there.

jeemak
26-04-2019, 04:47 AM

You make good points, I used to get really annoyed with team members who can only play one area of the ground and seem to lose understanding of the fundamentals of the game when played elsewhere. It's pet hate from my playing days I suppose.

But, what we dished up last weekend wasn't just players losing understanding of the fundamentals and not trying. It was also hubris at the selection table and a lack of respect for the structure our opposition was clearly going to play. The way we lined up, after replacing two seasoned veterans and in all honesty two excellent contributors to date put us in a position where less and less things could go wrong for us if we wanted to be competitive.

We placed a lot of faith in our midfield last week, and given our midfield had been completely on-song for the four weeks prior and doing absolutely everything right (with exception to kicking goals) for all intents and purposes, we had reason to. But, to leave the rest of the team entirely exposed due to personnel and player positioning was completely unacceptable. It was clear that if we didn't win the midfield battle we had no other line of defence, but we chose to ignore that and we paid a massive price.

To me the best approach would be to pull the midfield in as a group and reaffirm the things they had done well to date prior to last week's game, and make it really clear any future performances resembling what we saw wouldn't be tolerated.

jeemak
26-04-2019, 05:10 AM
Excellent post (as usual MJP)

I saw it the same as you, and said, the players need to take responsibility.

Carlton just worked harder than us and wanted a win.

We had been the worst or second worst for conceding marks within our forward fifty prior to the game last weekend, which possibly would have given an indication Carlton's fortunes had a fair chance of changing - especially when we left out two handy experienced defenders due to injury.

jeemak
26-04-2019, 05:37 AM
I don't think so. I'm saying they might want to hear unofficial offers from their manager now. If I thought my head coach didn't believe in me, or the position I play, I'd be receptive to the opposite message. Human nature really.

If I'm right in my understanding of what you're saying (re the Hamling situation), a guy plays the last half of the season, wins a flag and then decides to tell lies about really needing to go home to meet his view of family commitments all because he wasn't played for the first half of the season after being picked up as a DFA when nobody else wanted him, and possibly breaking draft and trading regulations? If you break it down, that's what you're saying.

Wait for the SA media and clubs to start rumours that this management of Williams is because he's receptive to heading back home to either SA club.

It's a genuinely unsophisticated and funny industry. The SA media and clubs get a handle that the player wants to leave because he thinks he is being mistreated for whatever reason, and that clubs punish players for wanting to do whatever they think is best for their careers, rather than win games.

What a time to be alive.

GVGjr
26-04-2019, 06:35 AM
Williams was really pathetic last week with 4 disposals to half time and 9 for the match. Should never have come in in the first place and Trengove should have been there.

His form was more than good enough at Footscray to earn a promotion.

LostDoggy
26-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Our current named forward line is diabolical. Bont at full forward, gowers CHF, dunk, dick, Lloyd and Hayes.

Still taking the proverbial at the selection table, after last years early round selections, something stinks.

bornadog
26-04-2019, 09:58 AM
His form was more than good enough at Footscray to earn a promotion.

There were better players than him.

In any case he did not play a good game last week.

mjp
26-04-2019, 10:05 AM
To me the best approach would be to pull the midfield in as a group and reaffirm the things they had done well to date prior to last week's game, and make it really clear any future performances resembling what we saw wouldn't be tolerated.

That looks like what has been done.

mjp
26-04-2019, 10:12 AM

(We are talking about Williams here).

1/. Pretty sure he was drafted primarily on the back of one 50+ possession game at SANFL u18 level.
2/. We ALL enjoyed his work last year as a half-back.
3/. He was pretty poor last week and I have trouble making a case for his continued selection.

Coaching is tricky. When do you exclude based on performance and when do you include DESPITE performance? Bailey has played twice this year and (to me) he didn't really 'deserve' either opportunity. But he was included. Both times his performance was pretty disappointing and he was immediately left out. Other players with similar 'poor form' have been retained in similar situations.

I know this might seem like playing favorites but could it be as simple as managing different personalities in different ways? I (obviously) don't know the kid however MAYBE the coach knows him well enough to understand what he is able to do/what he responds too? I know that if we pick the team based on who might or might not leave at season's end then we are in real trouble so I am not exactly sure when that became such a major issue...to me, Williams has been (overall) treated pretty well and young players going in and out of the side is part of their development. Generally it takes 20-30 games before they get 'set'.

soupman
26-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Not too bothered about Williams being dropped. Like everyone else I am very excited about what he could become but his form this year has been poor to shithouse. Both JLT games he was unimpressive and turned the ball over, both AFL games he has struggled to get uninvolved and barely given a highlight. In his defence he has spent the whole pre season apparently training with the mids then round 1 plays as a tallish defender and last week who knows what, but even so his performances haven't been great.

At the moment he is tracking like Bailey Dale did last year. Very exciting finish to a season, annointed our player to watch by our supporters, limp start to the next season.

As for the changes as a whole I think this is a combo of backing the same 22 (minus one positional adjustment) to redeem themselves, especially with no VFL game last week for the fringe group to either push for selection again (Lipinski) or prove themselves (Schache).

bornadog
26-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Not too bothered about Williams being dropped. Like everyone else I am very excited about what he could become but his form this year has been poor to shithouse. Both JLT games he was unimpressive and turned the ball over, both AFL games he has struggled to get uninvolved and barely given a highlight. In his defence he has spent the whole pre season apparently training with the mids then round 1 plays as a tallish defender and last week who knows what, but even so his performances haven't been great.

At the moment he is tracking like Bailey Dale did last year. Very exciting finish to a season, annointed our player to watch by our supporters, limp start to the next season.

As for the changes as a whole I think this is a combo of backing the same 22 (minus one positional adjustment) to redeem themselves, especially with no VFL game last week for the fringe group to either push for selection again (Lipinski) or prove themselves (Schache).

Summed up nicely.

Sucks we had a bye last week in the VFL, but it is what it is.

Hopefully as MJP says, we can bring more effort this week, otherwise we will be thrashed.

GVGjr
26-04-2019, 07:59 PM

In your opinion or just because the sectors picked others?

Sedat
26-04-2019, 08:28 PM
It's only one change but it makes such a difference structurally. Trengove, both down back and also chopping out English in the ruck, makes us better in key defensive posts and also up forward, without compromising on our midfield running power and depth. The likes of Cordy, Wood and Lachie Young all go to a smaller key forward and will thus be able to intercept and assist each other out more. English up forward creates a bigger body that Hamling and Pearce will have to put some work into and not just simply double-team Naughton. It also frees up Gowers, Dickson and Lloyd to be more dangerous on lesser opponents.

angelopetraglia
26-04-2019, 08:43 PM
Does anyone know which emergency flew with the team to Perth?

angelopetraglia
26-04-2019, 09:57 PM
Does anyone know which emergency flew with the team to Perth?

Just saw Roarke Smith on an Insta story. Do we only take one? (Roarke Smith .... seriously!).

G-Mo77
26-04-2019, 10:06 PM
Just saw Roarke Smith on an Insta story. Do we only take one? (Roarke Smith .... seriously!).

We'll need another KPD in the team. :)

1eyedog
26-04-2019, 11:09 PM

Bevo and him gonna get a quick surf in before flying back.

MrMahatma
26-04-2019, 11:39 PM

Has photos. Surely?!

bornadog
27-04-2019, 12:14 AM
In your opinion or just because the sectors picked others?

Sorry, I don't understand your question? The better players statement? If so, yes in my opinion Trengove or Lippa should have been picked ahead of Williams last week.