PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ACL victims - realistic expectations in 2007?

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 05:07 PM
What can we realistically expect from Darcy (out 2 years), Murphy, Hahn and Walsh in 2007?

Most ACL victims don't have a real flash season first year back.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Darcy is a difficult one to assess, but I think that if he could play 18+ games and be without injuries and contribute to the team in a positive manner, then he's done OK. So anything from 30+ goals would be a good return, along with being able to contest the ball and bring it to ground. That's basically all he needs to do. Play the "Morgan" role but to a little more effect, which I think he is quite capable of despite two knee reconstructions.

Murphy might take a while to get back into the swing of things. Maybe by about Round 10 or so he should begin showing some better signs. His agility/reaction time might take some time to to recommence, as it's a big part of his game, and it might just be a case of getting that right. Alternatively, it might be that he will recover quicker BECAUSE he is more advanced than most players as far as reaction times, reading of the play etc. is concerned. He'd be aiming to play 22 games + Finals.

I don't expect much from Hahn in the first half of the year. Maybe a few bullocking highlights, but nothing too much. By Finals time is when I think Hahn would be hitting his straps and playing good Football. Up until then it's a matter of getting his fitness back and getting back into the game. Hahn will probably be eased back via Werribee, and for him & The Club I think the aim should be to get him right for Finals. 8+ games before Finals for Mitch would be handy, and 12+ would be a huge bonus.

Walsh needs to establish himself as a good player in the VFL with Werribee before considering a step up to AFL Football. He doesn't have a lot of time on his hands, so he needs to work hard to get himself on track and to have some sort of influence in the first half of the year to give himself a platform for the second half. For him, the ideal year would be to crack 3+ games late in the season (Round 16/17 and after) for The Dogs whilst maintaing consistent, solid form for Werribee throughout the year but steadily improving in the second half of the season.

All four players have a tough challenge ahead of them. Darcy/Murphy/Hahn would love to be cherry ripe by Finals and that'll probably be their main aim, particuarly for Hahn. They are quality players so I think they'll just need 10 or so games each before they might be able to reach their previous standards, or at least as close as they can get to them.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 05:57 PM
I think they'll just need 10 or so games each before they might be able to reach their previous standards, or at least as close as they can get to them.

Is there therefore an issue having all three in the side underdone? Can we afford that luxury?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Is there therefore an issue having all three in the side underdone? Can we afford that luxury?

I don't think so, purely because they are at different stages.

Darcy will be able to play a bit of the Intra Club games perhaps? At the least, he's involved in match simulation atm which the others aren't.

He'll be able to play all of the NAB matches and start Round 1 with a bit of ground behind him already. And - because Darcy is likely to only play forward for the first part of the season, it shouldn't effect the team too much even if he is a little underdone. His aim should be to contest the football. To mark it, or to bring it to ground for the smaller players.

Murphy appears to recover fast, but misses out on the Intra Club games. Thus, I'm guessing his first hit out will be - maybe - one NAB game, or Round 1. He'll probably be used sparingly, but for the first few games we'll be contending with Darcy - who will have already had SOME match practise under his belt - and Murphy.

Hahn won't be back until later, IMO, Round 8 or after. He'll play some Werribee games first before coming into the side, just so as he doesn't come in completely underdone with no match practise at all.

So no; I don't think it should be a problem. If they were all at the same stage and all coming back at the same time, we'd have a minor problem and probably couldn't bring them all back at the same time. But because Darcy is a little ahead of Murphy, and Murphy a little ahead again of Hahn, it should work out OK.

BulldogBelle
28-01-2007, 06:31 PM
They will be brought back into the game at different intervals I would imagine, as The Bulldogs Bite has mentioned Darcy and Murphy will probably be the first of the ACL guys to come back and then followed by Hahn and hopefully Walsh will get to play a couple of games aswell this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2007, 06:34 PM
They will be brought back into the game at different intervals I would imagine, as The Bulldogs Bite has mentioned Darcy and Murphy will probably be the first of the ACL guys to come back and then followed by Hahn and hopefully Walsh will get to play a couple of games aswell this season.

Indeed.

To simplify it;

NAB Games & Possibly Intra Club Games > Darcy.
Round 1 > Murphy.
Round 8+ > Hahn.
Round 16+ > Walsh - If he's good enough.

Obviously it could change if the development is quick or slow, but I think The Club would be looking at something like this to break it up a bit because by the time Murphy plays in Round 1, Darcy won't be red raw, and by the time Hahn plays Murphy won't be either.

BulldogBelle
28-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Obviously it could change if the development is quick or slow, but I think The Club would be looking at something like this to break it up a bit because by the time Murphy plays in Round 1, Darcy won't be red raw, and by the time Hahn plays Murphy won't be either.

Exactly, ease them into the game slowly but surely. We all have some cheering to do as they return back into the side. I remember when Chris Grant came back from his ACL injury the crowd erupted into cheers. Going back further - same big reaction from the Dogs supporters when Doug Hawkins came back from his knee, now that was many moons ago.

The Coon Dog
28-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Exactly, ease them into the game slowly but surely. We all have some cheering to do as they return back into the side. I remember when Chris Grant came back from his ACL injury the crowd erupted into cheers. Going back further - same big reaction from the Dogs supporters when Doug Hawkins came back from his knee, now that was many moons ago.

I can still remember the reaction Hawk got when he warmed up on the boundry line. I'm not too sure who we played that day, maybe Geelong, who knows, but Hawks great mate Super had taken a mark & was having a shot for goal when this all mighty roar went up. I remember Super saying afterwards that he thought someone had been knocked out behind play. It was just the great man getting ready to return.

Dry Rot
28-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Sorry, I'm not convinced, even if the timing is staggered.

None of them will be real flash even by seasons end, and I cannot recall one team handling the return of three ACLs in one season. Can anybody?

I think that this could be a real problem.

GVGjr
29-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Indeed.

To simplify it;

NAB Games & Possibly Intra Club Games > Darcy.
Round 1 > Murphy.
Round 8+ > Hahn.
Round 16+ > Walsh - If he's good enough.

I tend to think that we will have issues with so many players coming back from the serious kneee injuries. I'm sure Eade has a plan to counter it but it could be a very difficult one for the club.

Darcy, Murphy and Hahn all look fit but it has to be easier for clubs to bring back one vital player from a knee injury rather than three.

Darcy in particular has missed so much football and his confidence must not be 100%

Go_Dogs
29-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry, I'm not convinced, even if the timing is staggered.

None of them will be real flash even by seasons end, and I cannot recall one team handling the return of three ACLs in one season. Can anybody?

I think that this could be a real problem.

You have to remember that not everyone coming back from an ACL will take a pre-determined amount of time to get "back to their best". Some players are able to do the job relatively quickly, whilst others take a bit longer, some lose a bit of pace, whilst others you would hardly know. This unknown factor is of some concern, but if the coaches are confident that the players are ready, and there doing the job in training, practice games etc, then we have to trust their judgement and hope the players are able to play the desired role to the required standard.

I guess the one positive is that all players will mainly be playing in the forward line when they initially come back, so won't be running too far up the ground.

It's going to be interesting to see how its managed, that's for sure. But each week teams line up with slightly under-done players, and although I can't re-call a specific incident with 3 ACL victims coming back together, I'm almost certain it would have. The Crows will have 2 guys coming back next year from ACL's at this stage, and who knows if more can occur through the season, as well as their ruckmen Hudson, just coming back from one. They are a common occurrence in football nowadays and teams need to be able to deal with it, as hard as it is.

Dry Rot
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
Just read about Coughlan doing his knee for the second time this morning.

Hope they're really easing our blokes in.

southerncross
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Just read about Coughlan doing his knee for the second time this morning.

Hope they're really easing our blokes in.

They now believe Coughlan re injured his knee in the shower. It's just bad luck not poor injury management.

The Dogs are taking a cautious approach with our guys. It's interesting to hear that a couple of weeks back Eade thought Hargrave was a few weeks ahead of schedule and now he is rating him 'about where we thought he should be'. I wonder if he has had a minor set back

bornadog
05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
One of the real concerns I have is Darcy's age. In July Darcy will be turning 32 years old and he has been out of the game for two years. Look at the performance of Wayne Carey when he was virtually out two years and made a comeback with Adelaide. He did a few good things but wasn't the same player. Tony Lockett, same thing. How many players in their 30's are going to perform at the elite level of where they once were. Don't expect too much from Darcy, he is getting on a bit.

Dry Rot
06-02-2007, 10:04 AM
Sadly I think you're right.

I'm not overly optimistic, while many of us have been looking at a 32 yr old ruckman returning after 2 ACLs through rose coloured glasses. How would we rate his prospects if he wasn't a Dogs player?

Worse case scenario is doing his knee again, but second worst is that he is like the two you mentioned. If his comeback was pretty poor would Eade have the balls to drop him?

Hahn and Murphy won't be flash in the their first year back either. I stand by my POV that having 3 ACL victims coming back in one season is an issue.

Go_Dogs
06-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I almost think 2 years out of the game could be a blessing for Darcy. His body would be almsot perfect - bar those knees of course - and ready for action. He's at a slight advantage because the last 2 seasons he hasn't had to contend with the wear and tear on his body of playing in matches.

Plus, if the Rolls Royce is still purring, I'm sure Darcy can offer something.

bornadog
06-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Plus, if the Rolls Royce is still purring, I'm sure Darcy can offer something.

But is he purring. I thought Chris was great last year but did struggle towards the end of the year. Every time he went near the ball and there was a pack coming I shuddered as he copped a lot of hits. At age 34 going on to 35 he should be used off the bench and we can't expect much from him either.

LostDoggy
06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
But is he purring. I thought Chris was great last year but did struggle towards the end of the year. Every time he went near the ball and there was a pack coming I shuddered as he copped a lot of hits. At age 34 going on to 35 he should be used off the bench and we can't expect much from him either.

Darcy should be able to provide a good target as a key forward. I think if he was asked to ruck a bit he would struggle but he can be eased back into the team as a forward.

Grant will play CHB and should be more than OK.